Author Topic: I'm learning how to make time and $ to travel  (Read 2533 times)

ETBen

• Bristles
    • I started a journal about single parenting and the new life towards FIRE
I'm learning how to make time and $ to travel
« on: January 18, 2016, 12:28:39 PM »
I'm one of those people that doesn't plan ahead well to get away.  Nor do I do it enough, which was a whole other issue. 

I think I'm getting the hang of it though.  Here's my thoughts in case they help others.

1. separate travel fund.  Not much but enough for a long weekend getaway.  It's always waiting for me, even if I don't plan. 

2. strategic use of airline rewards.  I use the card for almost everything so I always have a flight waiting for me. 

3. paying attention lol.  So far I've taken 1 and have 2 booked with almost no cost for flights (Caribbean and Mexico, 1, 2, and 3 passengers respectively).  I match up flights that use few points with sale or cheap stay options.  Even a trip for me and the kids during spring break despite those inflated prices!

4. looking more for low cost things locals do.  And then having that budget room for something more expensive but special or important to me. 

Bon voyage : )

PhysicianOnFIRE

• Bristles
    • Physician On FIRE
Re: I'm learning how to make time and $ to travel
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 02:24:00 PM »
Sounds like you've started to do some planning and it's working out in your favor.  Congrats!

I'm sure you're aware but there are some great blogs and forums out there discussing travel rewards.  I've picked up a few credit cards in recent months to reap some substantial benefits.  I haven't gotten into manufactured spending but I've waited on large purchases for the new card(s) to come in.

ETBen

• Bristles
    • I started a journal about single parenting and the new life towards FIRE
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 03:01:36 PM »
Yes but I find it daunting!  I should read more and get comfortable with it.

PhysicianOnFIRE

• Bristles
    • Physician On FIRE
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 08:43:28 PM »
The three I've done are Chase Sapphire, Chase Southwest, and Delta Amex.  Paid for 5 round trip flights with the points and I have a card that I can use at Costco until April (when they switch from Amex to Visa).  Very worthwhile for very little time.

Apply for card(s) via an affiliate link on MMM or another favorite blogger's site.  It'll earn them some $.