Author Topic: How to do a second follow up after an interview  (Read 2567 times)

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
How to do a second follow up after an interview
« on: February 07, 2016, 04:39:06 PM »
I had a two recent interviews (two different positions) for an organization that I very much want to work for. After both I sent follow-up email thank you's. The position is federal and the hiring process is very long. I would prefer one position over another (higher pay, more consistent w/ my skill level, etc.), but if they can meet my salary would take either position. My sense is that both interviews went well and I was well received.

My question is - how do I go about a second follow-up with them? Call? Email? How should I approach them? I haven't heard anything so I take it that they have not filled the positions yet, and are likely required to interview 6 or so people for each (maybe more) before making any offer.

GrowingTheGreen

• Bristles
    • Growing The Green
Re: How to do a second follow up after an interview
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 07:10:26 PM »
Did they give you any indication as to how long the process takes?  This can help provide some insight.

Without the above information, I think if you haven't heard anything in two weeks, a phone call is fair game.  Just ask, "I was calling to follow-up on my interview for the XXX position."  If they haven't reached a decision yet, ask when you should follow up again or when you can expect a response.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 07:29:25 PM »
No indication of how long the process takes. I work for a different fed agency and I know from experience that hiring is ridiculously long.  Like months long sometimes. However, they have a number of unfilled positions so I was hoping it would move a little faster. At the first interview they said that we going to fill that position first and then fill the other (the one I interviewed for second). When I came for the second interview they said that that I was still under consideration for the first position and that it had not been filled. It has been a month since the first interview and about 2 weeks since the second. I'll call them later this week.

CATman

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 10:59:57 PM »
I always send an email a couple hours after the interview thanking the interviewers for their time. Then I would follow up with a phone call if I haven't heard back in a week or whatever the timeline they gave for making a decision.

For future reference asking the timeline on selecting a candidate is always a good idea when they ask if you have any questions. Something I started doing and it's worked out pretty well for me in the past.

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 03:36:21 AM »
+1 on asking at the time of the interview for a timeline. I don't really see the utility of calling after the thank you email. If they are planning to offer you the job they will phone you when they know. If they aren't, well, are you concerned they won't let you know that you were unsuccessful?

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 04:03:44 AM »
If you follow-up now it could look like a "hurry up please" which could be intensely irritating to someone who is stuck with a certain process and unable to "hurry up" however much they might want to because of all their vacancies.  And if you are already fed, they will know that you know the process, so you don't even have the "outsider" excuse.

I think you need to possess your soul in patience until you get one offer, in which case it's fair game to ring up the other and say either "thanks but no thanks" or "I've got this other offer, where is the decision making process on this one?"

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!