Author Topic: How to be a mustachian golfer?  (Read 7187 times)

BrandNewPapa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
How to be a mustachian golfer?
« on: July 06, 2017, 10:55:04 AM »
So I've been golfing for a few years, and I love it.

But the cost is killing me.

Not so much the equipment, that is mostly upfront cost and in the past. I bought my woods and driver used, balls and tees are cheap.

It's the price of each round. If I want to golf 2x a month, I'm looking at $80-100/month. Seems excessive.

I used to have a great budget course near me that was $26 for a round with cart on the weekend, but they sold to a builder last summer and shut down. I work full time and have a young daughter, so weekday golf doesn't really work for me.

Anyone have tips on how to save while golfing?

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
Re: How to be a mustachian golfer?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 11:10:26 AM »
I don't golf anymore, but I was a pretty good high school golfer and managed okay on a student's budget. This is what I did to save $:
1) Had a job at a course. Golfed for free. If you have the time you might be able to pick up work as a ranger in exchange for free rounds.
2) Use coupons. Most areas have coupon books you can buy that get you rounds for 1/2 price or less. If you're going out at least a couple times a month and don't mind driving to different courses all the time they are worth the investment.
3) Buy a membership. Lots of courses sell season passes. If you're okay with playing the same course often they can be a great deal.
4) Find courses that have off-peak rates. Lots of courses have twilight or weekday rates or reduce their greens fees near the end of the season.
5) Hit the driving range instead of playing a round. If you just want to swing the club, go to the driving range, hit a bucket of balls and practice on the putting green. This might scratch your itch and keep you sharp.

Bonus tip: get good and gamble for greens fees ;)

BiggerFishToFI

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 11:15:39 AM »
I love golf as well, but it will never be an inexpensive mustachian hobby. A couple ideas:

-Look for twilight rates, generally after 2-3pm. Two nice City owned courses I know of offer unlimited golf for $10 after 4pm on Saturdays and Sundays.

-Walk, do not rent a cart.

-Buy balls/tees in bulk and if you want premium balls, looks into used/refurbished (ebay or lostgolfballs.com, etc.)

-If you want to get good at golf, it is all in the shortgame, 50 yards and in. When you practice, instead of buying buckets of balls, spend 3 out of 4 sessions practicing pitches/chipping and putting. Best part is you can do this for free at most courses! Learn to love practicing as much as playing. 

and lastly....

-sneak your own beer onto the course :)

Guesl982374

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 11:24:22 AM »
I use to be a golfer...now I hike. I found that 95% of the enjoyment for me was walking outside enjoying the nice weather while hanging out with people. YMMV.

lostamonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 11:26:35 AM »
-Coupons (including Groupon)
-Golf Show: there is a golf show in my city at the begining of the year and many courses come and sell massively discounted rounds
-Membership at an affordable course

Greystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 01:04:41 PM »
Now that I'm retired, I volunteer at a local course so I can play and practice free of charge. When I was still working, I played a skins game after work every Wed. during daylight savings time. The afternoon rates were cheap and if I played well, I was able to supplement my income. Towards the end of my career, I had tons of paid time off and a flexible work schedule and an understanding/desperate boss.  I took almost every Friday afternoon off and played a round. I called it anger management therapy. Only half joking.  Others have mentioned Groupon but in my experience, most of those deals are during the week and not the weekend.  It's hard to find a good deal on the weekend during prime time.

TornWonder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 03:04:32 PM »
I use the website golfnow.com.  Usually there are discounted tee times available for courses in my area, sometimes over 50% off even on the weekends.

Cornel_Westside

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 03:20:26 PM »
I don't mean to rag on your hobby, but am I the only one who sees golf courses and sees an enormous waste of space? Not because golf isn't fun or anything, it just takes up so much valuable real estate. If every other golf course was a public park or multi-use area, most cities would be better to live in. That's just a random aside, though. I'm sure my hobbies are wasteful in ways I don't understand or notice.

COEE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 03:22:00 PM »
Have you tried disk golf?  $25 for some good disks.  Most places are free.  You're still outside, i usually smuggle a beer or two with me and hang out with my friends.

The short game is still king too.  A lot more hole in ones make it fun.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 06:52:41 PM by COEE »

RobFIRE

• Bristles
  • Projected FIRE May 2020
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 02:05:44 AM »
I used to play golf regularly, now hardly play, though would like to pick it up again in the future.

I think the only way to make the green fees cost effective is to have a club membership and play regularly. If you play at the weekend on a pay as you go basis, so when it's busy and therefore the discount offers aren't normally available, then yes you are going to pay around $40 around (£30 in the UK) or more, so it's the $80 to $100 a month for two rounds. If you take up a membership, I don't know US prices but UK prices are typically £1200 to £1500 a year for a standard course, then it's the equivalent of $150 a month and you can play once or twice each weekend for an effective cost of under $20 a round (plus in the week when on holiday / as other commitments allow). Your total cost is 2x higher but at least you are getting 4x as much golf for it and can play during the week as well. In the UK at least, one way to get to play free rounds on other local courses is to participate in club matches representing your club: you only pay the cost of a meal afterwards. If I were playing full time at my course I could easily play in 20 matches a year (half at home course; and not because I'm a great player, just because there are matches at different levels and the matches aren't that popular as most club golfers don't like playing to competition conditions).

So I think there's not much you can do with your current situation of playing twice a month at the weekend to cut that cost, unless you want a membership to pay 2x more and play 4x more, or you can find a way to play during the week and take advantage of discounted green fees.

Vegasgirl

• Stubble
  • Never have a battle of wits with an unarmed person
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 07:32:42 AM »
I found the same thing as a few others.  My husband is a golfer and I did this huge spreadsheet years ago.  It was cheapest to join a club or choose a course and get an annual membership.  For the number of rounds per week it works out best especially if you can or do play a couple times a week.  My husband plays 5 or more times a week and walks so the per round cost is dirt cheap compared to paying for each round.

Also it may depend on where you live.  We have friends in Las Vegas who end up paying like $20/round with a local driver license.  In resort areas it seems like they do this a lot to entice the locals. 

mustache you a question

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 07:35:25 AM »
This is right in my wheel house, I am a big time golfer but it is tough to do it on the cheap.  Most of the suggestions are right on...here's what I do.
  • Walk instead of ride.  I was given a free push cart, makes it easier to walk if you are worried about the distance
  • Buy used, everything.  Rock bottom golf offers discounted clubs and golf balls that are used.  3balls.com is also a great site for used items
  • play 9 instead of 18
  • twilight rates.  I can play on a course as much as I can get in anytime after 6pm for only 10 bucks
  • Bring your own beer :)

There are a bunch of other ways to cut down costs but these are just off the top of my head. 

yakamashii

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 07:50:59 AM »
Go at dawn and ask to play the back nine. Find a course with a great chipping green and practice bunkers, and spend hours honing your short game. Make a friend in the business and mooch free rounds off of them.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2017, 08:28:49 AM »
Cheap golf: Get on Google Maps and find all the golf courses within a reasonable driving distance for you. Find out all of their deals--twilight, early bird, etc. That is going to be your best bet. Don't rule out the little Par 3 courses either, sometimes they're a good option.

Otherwise, volunteer or work at a club--try caddying. Good money, they frequently will let you play on Mondays or late on weekends (i.e. 7PM)

I don't mean to rag on your hobby, but am I the only one who sees golf courses and sees an enormous waste of space? Not because golf isn't fun or anything, it just takes up so much valuable real estate. If every other golf course was a public park or multi-use area, most cities would be better to live in. That's just a random aside, though. I'm sure my hobbies are wasteful in ways I don't understand or notice.

You can make that claim for just about anything. Football/baseball/soccer fields. The giant park near my house that apparently we aren't allowed to walk our dogs in, or fish in the pond, or have a picnic in (seriously--I guess we can play basketball and walk around it, but I like to fish). At the end of the day, a golf course is greenspace that a lot of people are getting use out of. And paying for. While there is a TON of overhead, the local open field really isn't driving any revenue; the golf course is. If you want to make an argument, argue against the possible environmental impact--but that can be argued the other way as well.

BrandNewPapa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2017, 10:26:56 AM »
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll have to keep an eye out for the various coupons mentioned.

I have played some twilight golf in the past, I'll have to get back into it....just need to watch out for vampires.

I always walk when I play by myself, but typically I'm with a few friends and they want to ride.

I could sneak a six pack in my bag I think....

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2017, 12:54:26 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll have to keep an eye out for the various coupons mentioned.

I have played some twilight golf in the past, I'll have to get back into it....just need to watch out for vampires.

I always walk when I play by myself, but typically I'm with a few friends and they want to ride.

Skip the six pack, go with 2-3 tall boys. Or just a flask of whiskey.

Samuel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2017, 01:31:58 PM »
Have you tried disk golf?  $25 for some good disks.  Most places are free.  You're still outside, i usually smuggle a beer or two with me and hang out with my friends.

The short game is still king too.  A lot more hole in ones make it fun.

That's pretty much what I did. I'll play golf a couple times a year now, but disc golf almost every week in the summer, and once or twice a month in winter.

Added bonus: it only takes 1-2 hours instead of 4-5.

rjbf65

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2017, 03:06:25 PM »
My local course offers a punch card for $275 for 20 - 9 hole rounds and that comes with a cart.  I typically have time for only 9 holes anyways so that gets me out there once per week through the summer months.  They are also cool about it and don't have an expiration date on the card.

Not a bad deal in my opinion.  It's perfect for a guy like me that can't really get out there multiple times per week to really justify the full blown membership.

Greystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2017, 03:47:55 PM »
Golf courses take up a lot of space, but they also provide much needed wildlife habitat in urban areas. I play on courses in the middle of Southern California urban sprawl and see red tailed hawks, fox, coyote, waterfowl, rabbits, raccoons, squirrels, etc.  Most of the water that they use is reclaimed. Also, the revenue from golf courses is used to fund other public parks. So, you could close the golf courses and turn them into parks, but you'd have to come up with a way to pay for it.

Firehazard

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2017, 12:18:31 PM »
I'm not a golfer, but my SO is.  A couple of years ago, he invested $50k in a local golf course in return for free golf for life, plus 3% annual return on the money.  Not something everyone could do, but it works for him!

BrandNewPapa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2017, 10:18:35 AM »
Just saw on our city's golf site they are now offering a special deal. 99 holes for $99. You get to play 1 round of golf at every city own course over 1 year. Seems like a great deal to me. Only downside is some of the courses are quite the drive

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2017, 10:20:32 AM »
Just saw on our city's golf site they are now offering a special deal. 99 holes for $99. You get to play 1 round of golf at every city own course over 1 year. Seems like a great deal to me. Only downside is some of the courses are quite the drive

Sometimes you can sweet talk the folks at the counter into letting you play the same course for a different courses punch card--especially if you're not going to the nice course.

aceyou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Life is Good - Aceyou's Journal
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2017, 12:04:43 PM »

-If you want to get good at golf, it is all in the shortgame, 50 yards and in. When you practice, instead of buying buckets of balls, spend 3 out of 4 sessions practicing pitches/chipping and putting. Best part is you can do this for free at most courses! Learn to love practicing as much as playing. 

This, this, this!  You can chip and putt for free 7 days a week.  Maybe even spend a little money on a chipping and putting lesson, then head out for a summer and just put everything into learning.  Play rounds when you find a REALLY good deal, and see how much your scores have dropped.  Not only will be cheap and fun, but you'll improve a ton, which will amplify the fun for the rest of your life. 

golfreak12

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2017, 10:10:52 PM »
You must live up North. Down here in Florida, golf now are easily less than $20.
Golf is only expensive if you make it that.
$20 for 4 hrs of golf is $5/hour + balls(cheap). What other comparable activities are $5/hr ??

DebtFreeinPhilly

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2017, 05:51:56 AM »

Skip the six pack, go with 2-3 tall boys. Or just a flask of whiskey.

Golfnow.com has been the best solution for me. I play about twice a month, sometimes more. There are several courses near me ranging from municipal courses (super cheap, super crappy) to country clubs (very expensive, very good). every month I go to golfnow.com and look for the deals at the high end courses. I can typically find a 50% off deal.

I started bringing a Nalgene bottle (32oz or 1000ml) pre-filled with a mixed drink. Gentlemen Jack and Lemonade is amazing and lasts the whole round. I'll do Tito's and Soda as well. A whole Nalgene bottle filled with the drink might run me $3 vs. $3 per beer or $6 per mixed drink. And at first glance, people think its lemonade or plain water!

Added Bonus: Bring a few Nalgenes and some plastic cups to share with your golf buddies.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2017, 06:24:00 AM »
To me, the really tricky part is golf lessons.  I feel like there's a high return on investment, but they aren't cheap.

ice_beard

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2017, 04:14:25 PM »
I sold my clubs a few years ago but I worked on a golf course in high school and got to play lots of free golf.  No problem finding golf balls with that job too. 
We would hit the local "unlimited" specials too as high school students.  My record was 72 holes in a day, first on, last off.  What a great day. 
Par 3 courses used to be really cheap too.  Food and beverage absolutely has to be brought in your golf bag. 
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 04:17:02 PM by ice_beard »