Author Topic: How My Kids Get $2  (Read 3189 times)

• Bristles
How My Kids Get $2
« on: May 31, 2014, 11:10:21 AM »
When we go out to eat as a family, which is usually about once a week, we would let the kids (now 14 and 11) order a soda, which was the only time they drank soda because we don't keep it at home.  I never really liked the idea because I think soda isn't healthy, but my wife had a point that making something off limits can make it an object of intense desire.

One day, in a flash, this occurred to me.  I told the kids that when we go out, they can order a soda, or drink water and I'll give them $2.  They almost always take the $2, and they really like it.  Not only are they not consuming all that sugar, they are learning the economic concept  of opportunity cost.  In this case, if they don't drink a soda, they can do something else with the money.

renaite

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: How My Kids Get $2
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 11:58:20 AM »
I love this!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dweebyhawkeyes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 01:05:33 PM »
I often tried this with my parents. We never ordered drinks at restaurants, but I would point to a menu item I "would have" ordered and ask if I could skip dinner and earn $6 instead. It only ever earned a laugh.

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 01:23:10 PM »
We joked about this too as the logical next step! 
I often tried this with my parents. We never ordered drinks at restaurants, but I would point to a menu item I "would have" ordered and ask if I could skip dinner and earn $6 instead. It only ever earned a laugh.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 04:34:17 PM »
Brilliant and one of those obvious in hindsight things

This also works well on first dates.

"Your treat?  I was gonna get the lobster but I'll order salad for $20 cash.  Win win!"

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 11:03:33 PM »
When we go out to eat as a family, which is usually about once a week, we would let the kids (now 14 and 11) order a soda, which was the only time they drank soda because we don't keep it at home.  I never really liked the idea because I think soda isn't healthy, but my wife had a point that making something off limits can make it an object of intense desire.

One day, in a flash, this occurred to me.  I told the kids that when we go out, they can order a soda, or drink water and I'll give them $2.  They almost always take the $2, and they really like it.  Not only are they not consuming all that sugar, they are learning the economic concept  of opportunity cost.  In this case, if they don't drink a soda, they can do something else with the money.

Love it.  Well played.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.