Author Topic: How much should a full brake job for an F150 Fx2 cost?  (Read 2086 times)

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
How much should a full brake job for an F150 Fx2 cost?
« on: August 06, 2018, 08:04:36 AM »
All four wheels. Rotors will need to be replaced
I was quoted almost $1,000

Never paid that much in my life.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
Re: How much should a full brake job for an F150 Fx2 cost?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 08:31:41 AM »
If a shop is doing it, that seems reasonable for truck parts.

saveysavesalot

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 08:55:01 AM »
I would think it'd cost less than half of that.  IMHO.  Maybe get another quote?

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 09:03:02 AM »
If you're in a HCOL area that's about what they're charging at shops nowadays. Lots of overhead to cover.

I've decided I'm going to start doing my own breaks after my last experience with sticker shock. Rotors and pads are cheap and easy to replace if you have the space and a few tools.

Another option if you're unwilling to DIY: Ask around for recommendations of mechanics working independently out of their home. These folks are usually way more reasonable because they have almost no overhead.

WSUCoug1994

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 10:13:51 AM »
I had pads, rotors and flush completed a month ago on my 2004 F150 and it came out at $804 at my local Firestone store.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 10:45:49 AM »
I would think it'd cost less than half of that.  IMHO.  Maybe get another quote?

Looks like parts cost for halfway decent stuff is in the $500-ish range (plus or minus a bit).

Truck parts aren't cheap.  I find it entertaining how parts shops usually apologize for the prices on parts for my truck (I live in a rural area, don't commute, so have a rather substantial truck well suited to hauling and towing that doesn't get driven particularly much).  I know they're expensive, and it doesn't bother me.  But I also tend to do the work myself unless it's particularly nasty out (I'll let a shop do stuff in the winter if it would involve spending a lot of time on the ground, though I've got access to a lift now, so that may change).

If I can get decent parts for $500, a shop charging $1000 for the job isn't unreasonable.  It's a bit high, and you could shop around, but I wouldn't expect to get out for under about $700-$750 for that job.

Or get a friend who works on vehicles and bribe them to help you out on the weekend.  It's a couple hour job if you've not done it before and nothing is too frozen in place.

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 10:54:08 AM »
All four wheels. Rotors will need to be replaced
I was quoted almost $1,000

Never paid that much in my life.

Sounds about right. Decent OE quality parts for that are going to run $4-600. (rotors, pads, misc). Large vehicle brakes are pretty expensive, since they have to be built big/tough enough to do what they are intended to do (stop the truck + a few thousand more pounds of load/towed weight). The other $4-500 for labor/shop materials/disposal/etc. sounds about right too, assuming your area is like mine and the going rate is about $100/hr.

You can shop around and probably find a cheaper rate, but make sure you compare parts vs. labor costs. You can certainly get a lot cheaper parts, but they will be, well, cheaper (i.e. less value). Good OE quality parts should last 50-80k; cheap parts (e.g. autozone/o'reilly house brands) may last only half or 1/3 of that.

jc4

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 11:00:03 AM »
Well, you're probably at $30/wheel for pads and $70/wheel for rotors, if you get the cheapest parts autozone carries. That'll put you at $400, and it wouldn't be hard to pay 50%-75% for better quality parts. And the shop will have markup vs autozone.

I can change 2 pads and rotors in about an hour (as a DIYer, not a mechanic). So 2 hours for shop labor at $100/hour.

So $800-$900 is a decent rate.

Looks like you have two options mustacian-wise:
1. Find a friend, DIY it for ~$500 and a 6 pack.
2. Sell the truck. Buy a good miliage car with intact brakes.

AccidentalMiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 11:00:14 AM »
Sounds about typical to me which is why I learned to do my own auto maintenance. 

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2018, 11:02:33 AM »
(stop the truck + a few thousand more pounds of load/towed weight)

Yeah, and that's something most people don't seem to consider that often.  I want my truck brakes to be able to stop the truck and a heavy trailer, on a downhill, without fading.  It's a safety issue.  Trailer brakes normally handle the trailer load, but they fail (sometimes for really weird reasons - I know of one trailer that will reliably pop a brake fuse if it's below about -10F out, and behaves perfectly the rest of the year), and you'd better be able to handle it.

At some point, if I'm doing longer distance towing with my truck, I'm going through the entire brake system and replacing parts with fairly expensive stuff for exactly that reason - and, given the longevity improvements on the cryo treated rotors and such, it should cost me less, long term, than cheaper parts.

Well, you're probably at $30/wheel for pads and $70/wheel for rotors, if you get the cheapest parts autozone carries.

Eeh.  Yeah, I wouldn't go with that grade of parts on a truck that got used as a truck.

... and, if it doesn't get used as a truck, I entirely agree, sell it.

Cadman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2018, 11:04:30 AM »
Sounds ridiculous to me. One of the reasons an old truck is a good value is specifically because the parts are so cheap.

Hop on over to rockauto and spec out the parts. If the brake system doesn't need to be opened (just rotors/pads/shoes, etc) then the shop estimate is way out of line.

For my '93 Chevy K1500:
Bosch Pads: $22
Bosch Shoes: $11.94
Front Rotors (Raybestos): $18x2=$36
Rear Drums: $25x2=$50

That's $120 for 'daily driver' name brand quality. Cheaper 'economy' parts are available to save a few more bucks but you'll be replacing them more often. Front pads can be done 15 min or less per side with an impact. Drums, maybe 30 min each.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2018, 11:15:14 AM »
Sounds ridiculous to me. One of the reasons an old truck is a good value is specifically because the parts are so cheap.

And the FX2 isn't an "old truck" by most people's standards.  The designator didn't exist until 2004, and most of them are a lot newer than that.

Which generally means larger wheels, larger brakes, etc.  Plus a far higher tow rating than yours.

Besides, 1993 isn't that old.  My truck is a '97 and I still think she's pretty new! :D

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2018, 11:15:29 AM »

At some point, if I'm doing longer distance towing with my truck, I'm going through the entire brake system and replacing parts with fairly expensive stuff for exactly that reason - and, given the longevity improvements on the cryo treated rotors and such, it should cost me less, long term, than cheaper parts.

Yep, cheaping out on parts in this kind of scenario usually ends up making things more expensive in the long run. Whether you are having a shop do it or DIY, never cheap out on parts (unless you don't plan to keep the vehicle long, hah!). Either you end up paying a lot more in labor, or end up spending a lot more of your own time.

Cadman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2018, 11:34:18 AM »

And the FX2 isn't an "old truck" by most people's standards.  The designator didn't exist until 2004, and most of them are a lot newer than that.

Which generally means larger wheels, larger brakes, etc.  Plus a far higher tow rating than yours.

Besides, 1993 isn't that old.  My truck is a '97 and I still think she's pretty new! :D

Syonyk, you've got it backwards ; )  '04 IS an old truck to most people, but it's new for you and me. My DD'er (non-truck) is an '88, but my '59 also sees commuter use.

It's all moot until the OP provides some additional details, but a quick spin on RA plugging in that Fx2 shows parts in line with the old '93. Just wanted to throw another data point out there. Perhaps the bigger question is why new rotors and drums are needed. Anyone take a caliper to them?

inline five

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2018, 01:17:11 PM »
Highly doubt shops are using "high quality" parts. They are using the cheapest stuff they can get ahold of.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2018, 01:34:31 PM »
Highly doubt shops are using "high quality" parts. They are using the cheapest stuff they can get ahold of.

That depends on the shop.  If you're taking your truck to a shop that puts the cheapest crap they can find on, find a better shop.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!