Author Topic: How much of a stimulus check are you expecting and how are you going to spend i?  (Read 22392 times)

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
$2800, and most of that will be going towards a new roof for our house.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
IRS Tool will show you when your payment is expected to be deposited.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment

Looks like ours is supposed to show up on St. Patrick's Day.

JetBlast

• Bristles
$0

I’d invest it but I’m worried about P/E ratios being high. Instead I’ll use it all to bribe my way to the top of the COVID vaccine list. Investing in myself.

RobertFromTX

• Stubble
So during 2020 my total stimulus was $47 because my 2019 income was too high. However on 1/1/20 I set my 401k deduction to the max of $19,500/yr and HSA deduction to the max of $3,550.  This put my AGI for 2020 below $75,000. So I got a credit for the 2020 stimulus I originally missed out on, and just got $1,400 for this round (single/no kids).

With my refund/stimulus I bought some VTIAX to balance out my 70/15/15 portfolio.

Just very thankful for MMM. I was a big spendy pants back a few years ago and this would have never happened without his blog.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
We're getting the full amount for three people.  We're saving up for a (lightly used, commercial grade) lawn mower.  But it seems that we may be using it to pay insurance on some rental property that we're about to acquire. 

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
Expecting zero, just like the previous rounds.  There are worse things. 

Our income will drop by at least 55-60% next year, so if we have another round of stimulus then we'll be gold! 

We also didn't benefit from the student loan forbearance - not due to income, but due to the fact that we refinanced our loans way back when.  Similarly, we won't benefit if they decide to go through with student loan forgiveness, since we refinanced.  We'll survive just fine either way, but I do think there needs to be more conversation/awareness about the inequity of leaving the people with private or refinanced student loans out of these forgiveness plans. 

Yes, I understand there are logistical considerations.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
My $7K stimulus showed up in the bank account today... holy shit!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
Our $5600 just showed up this morning too!

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
My $7K stimulus showed up in the bank account today... holy shit!

Mine showed up last Friday and that was pretty much my reaction too!

ohio4life

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I see a pending amount of almost exactly what I assumed I would get if my 2020 return was used. I was hoping I filed late enough that they would use my 2019 return and I would get the full amount. My GF got 0 as expected. Really a bummer for her as her income was much lower prior to 2020. If she filed her 2020 return late she would have got the full 1400.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
Just got our $2800 (married no kids)... This is an awful lot of stimulus. No wonder the markets are nervous about inflation!

Won't be able to buy a TV for love nor money after this week..:)

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
Just got our $2800 (married no kids)... This is an awful lot of stimulus. No wonder the markets are nervous about inflation!

I would pay good money to see activation metrics for smart TVs and video game consoles this week.

ericrugiero

• Pencil Stache
My account shows $7000 pending.  I'm thinking about saving the $1400 for each of the kids for their college funds. 

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
Got my $1400 yesterday.  Paid $901 of it back in the form of my 2020 taxes this morning.  Glad to be done with that, after waiting to file until the stimulus hit.

Donated another $100 (buying books for classrooms - fun!) and the rest is merged into my March budget to help offset my mattress purchase.

CNM

• Pencil Stache
Got $5600. Will use to pay for upcoming summer camp expenses and day care expenses. 

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
We got our $5,600 today. The stimulus, plus taxable dividends this month, should pay for our semi-annual property tax (due next month) plus most of our other expenses in the meantime.

charis

• Magnum Stache
5600 here. All of it will be deposited in a 529 account for the children. I was hoping to use it for some international travel, but that appears to be off the table for a while. So in the meantime, just going to invest.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
Our $2800 came through today.  It's good timing, as we just finished one of the prerequisite projects for the electrical work we want done.  The stimulus won't cover the cost of the work, but it'll make it hurt less!

geekette

• Magnum Stache
As lower income early retirees, we got the first two rounds deposited quickly as expected.  This time, while we got our tax refund over the weekend, the stimulus check didn't arrive.  We haven't moved or changed banks (in decades!)

When I look on "where's my payment", it just says:

Payment Status - Not Available

We are unable to provide the status of your payment right now because:

We don't have enough information yet (we're working on this), or
You're not eligible for a payment.

This seems strange.  Any ideas?

Queen Frugal

• Stubble
$2800 for single mother of one landed in my account today. I'm going to live on it and save what I don't need.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
I see a pending amount of almost exactly what I assumed I would get if my 2020 return was used. I was hoping I filed late enough that they would use my 2019 return and I would get the full amount. My GF got 0 as expected. Really a bummer for her as her income was much lower prior to 2020. If she filed her 2020 return late she would have got the full 1400.

That is a bummer. I didn't file my 2020 taxes yet because my income increased. Now that the stimulus has hit my account, I can go ahead and file.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
$0

I’d invest it but I’m worried about P/E ratios being high. Instead I’ll use it all to bribe my way to the top of the COVID vaccine list. Investing in myself.

ha ha same

scottnews

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
We bought an Escalade  !!!   jk

4200 deposited today
1400 to the local food shelf, they have a March Match this month
1400 to VTSAX
1400 on a new mattress

Maverick1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
$0 because I’m in Canada.

I applaud those of you taking the un-mustachian approach by spending the funds and putting the money back in the economy. Given what is going on in the world it just feels right.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
Since I received $0 previously, I'm guessing I will continue to receive $0 this go round.  I make roughly $115K per year, no kids, no spouse, 3 chunky pussycats.   I feel fortunate to have a secure government "j-o-b" as they say.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
$2800 was deposited into one of our accounts this morning. Our window AC units are 17 years old, each summer seems to be hotter and more humid for longer stretches, and I work entirely from home. I've dealt with computers overheating the last two summers. I'd rather not worry about that anymore.

In summary, we're going to get quotes on central AC. Our house is one story, no basement, and 950 square feet so the stimulus should cover the majority of the expense. The money will go into the economy and the paychecks of a couple of contractors.

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
I received a small pro-rated amount for #1 stimulus.  Nothing for #2, which was odd since I thought they were using the same cutoff point.  Nothing for #3 with the cutoff at 80K. 

Is anyone on social security?  Any word when SS folks will get their checks?  My mom received direct deposits for #1 and #2.  Nothing so far for #3 but thought I would check before I have any concerns.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
Is anyone on social security?  Any word when SS folks will get their checks?  My mom received direct deposits for #1 and #2.  Nothing so far for #3 but thought I would check before I have any concerns.

My dad is on SS and got #1 and #2 by direct deposit.  He hasn't gotten #3 yet. 

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
$5600, new windows on the house.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
I'm wondering if the stimulus contributed to the surge in interest in the used car I just sold.  After a few weeks of tepid interest, I posted in a new location (FB Marketplace) and changed the price (lowered it but made the price firm rather than OBO).  I was out of town for the weekend after I made those changes, so I was unable to meet with any buyers for a few days.  By the time I returned, I literally had a lineup of over 50 people interested, even after subtracting the lowballers who couldn't read.

Spiffy

• Bristles
I'm still waiting on the second payment. I had to claim it on our 2020 taxes, which I filed a few weeks ago. Have not gotten the "refund" yet. We are a family of 5 so I guess we will get $7000 for the 3rd payment. That's nuts! I am doing my bit to stimulate the economy by putting in a new garden with raised cedar beds and decomposed granite walkways.

WVstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I would pay good money to see activation metrics for smart TVs and video game consoles this week.

This would be something interesting to see - and results that I expect turn my stomach.

The stimulus was based on the idea of helping those in dire need due to job loss, reduced hours, under-employment, etc.

If there is a surge of luxury spending, well that proves that even minor amount of money marked to help US citizens out of the 1.9 TRILLION was a lie.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache

This would be something interesting to see - and results that I expect turn my stomach.

The stimulus was based on the idea of helping those in dire need due to job loss, reduced hours, under-employment, etc.

If there is a surge of luxury spending, well that proves that even minor amount of money marked to help US citizens out of the 1.9 TRILLION was a lie.

I don't know if I agree with that... I think a stimulus is meant to stimulate the economy in addition to help those in need of help, hence the name "stimulus".  Luxury spending does not prove that the spending was a lie.  Money is also being pumped into the economy to prevent a recession/depression.

JLee

• Walrus Stache

Eh? There was zero effort to target people in need due to job loss - that's what unemployment (and the enhanced covid unemployment) is for.  This is a "let's help keep the economy from crashing" stimulus.

Gaming consoles are nearly impossible to get right now (and have been since the current generation launched), so that probably won't change much :P

TVs are around, though.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 08:44:27 AM by JLee »

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
I was all happy about the stimulus check until I went to the hardware store and found out OSB is $48 a sheet (this is essentially a $8 item 2 years ago).

The high price of OSB has then caused plywood to increase.

So all of the stimulus will go into wood products for our house build.   Somebody somewhere along the line is making bank though.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
I was all happy about the stimulus check until I went to the hardware store and found out OSB is $48 a sheet (this is essentially a $8 item 2 years ago).

So all of the stimulus will go into wood products for our house build.   Somebody somewhere along the line is making bank though.

Oh yes, lumber prices are brutal now.

https://nebldgsupply.com/strong-demand-and-tight-supply-have-caused-lumber-prices-to-soar/#:~:text=New%20numbers%20from%20the%20National,more%20than%20%2416%2C000%20on%20average.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
Side effect of pandemic, right? 2020 was an exceptionally good time to be doing construction for a lot of businesses I'd think.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
Side effect yes, but it does seem to point out a big difference in value right now between new construction and older houses.

It costs now about $20,000 to $40,000 more to build a new home.  This isn't a lot in a hot market where homes go for $600,000+ but in areas where a 2000 sq-ft home sells for under $200,000 it is pretty huge.

It is at the point where I am eyeballing houses that were built in the 1990s and later which are way way cheaper than the cost to build a new home on the same lot with these higher lumber prices.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache

Oh yes, lumber prices are brutal now.

https://nebldgsupply.com/strong-demand-and-tight-supply-have-caused-lumber-prices-to-soar/#:~:text=New%20numbers%20from%20the%20National,more%20than%20%2416%2C000%20on%20average.

This is also why the housing market is insane. Builders can't get enough to build more houses to keep supply up.

As for stimulus, I receive $0. I thought my kids got something this time, but apparently it's also $0.

For the person who asked, my parents are on SS and they got their money already.
I wish this payment was somehow means tested, because while I understand I do not "need" this money at all, they have WAY more assets than me, plus a six figure pension & SS, but still got government stimulus.  I am all for helping those in need, but spending money on those who are not, it hurts...because our taxes pay for this.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
Side effect of pandemic, right? 2020 was an exceptionally good time to be doing construction for a lot of businesses I'd think.

It isn't just pandemic, though. The tariffs were already causing price increases. We replaced our roof in early 2019, and the final cost was $3000 more than the quotes we had received in 2018 because the supply costs had increased.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
As lower income early retirees, we got the first two rounds deposited quickly as expected.  This time, while we got our tax refund over the weekend, the stimulus check didn't arrive.  We haven't moved or changed banks (in decades!)

When I look on "where's my payment", it just says:

Payment Status - Not Available

We are unable to provide the status of your payment right now because:

We don't have enough information yet (we're working on this), or
You're not eligible for a payment.

This seems strange.  Any ideas?
Mine says the same. In my case I suspect it's because I filed my 2020 return a couple of weeks ago. I'll qualify either way, but maybe there's a waiting period because 2020 is still in process? In hindsight I should have waited to file but oh well. Clearly since you already received your refund they've processed yours, but it could have put you further back in the queue.

This is where I am, too. Filed a couple of weeks ago, and I'm getting the same message.

Channel-Z

• Stubble

I think so. One of my brothers lost his job as the pandemic began, but a month later, he had a new job in a factory making doors. I think he has gotten overtime nearly every week since then, because they have so many orders.

Channel-Z

• Stubble
I won't receive my $1,400 for a while since I still file taxes the old-fashioned way, and I don't use DD for it. Last time, I think it took four weeks. I'll probably use it for vacation.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden

I think so. One of my brothers lost his job as the pandemic began, but a month later, he had a new job in a factory making doors. I think he has gotten overtime nearly every week since then, because they have so many orders.

I believe this. We just ordered some new windows for our house renovation, and the wait time is 12 weeks.  The factory is struggling to keep up.  (We bought a batch of these same windows two years ago, and the turnaround was 4 weeks then.)

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
Surprised this thread has been dormant the past couple of weeks.  Posted earlier about my mom who is on SS and doesn't file because her income is low.  She received Checks #1 and #2 via direct deposit in a timely manner.

So far, no check #3.  Anyone else on SS and still waiting for #3?  Who do I reach out to inquire?  SS?  Or IRS?

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
Surprised this thread has been dormant the past couple of weeks.  Posted earlier about my mom who is on SS and doesn't file because her income is low.  She received Checks #1 and #2 via direct deposit in a timely manner.

So far, no check #3.  Anyone else on SS and still waiting for #3?  Who do I reach out to inquire?  SS?  Or IRS?

My dad falls into this category. In fact, he never received the first two payments, until about four weeks after we filed a 2020 return for him on 2/12. He normally doesn’t file, but we knew this would be the only way to get the initial two payments. But now, here we are a few weeks since people started getting payment number 3 and he hasn’t received it via DD, check or debit card. The Get My Payment site specifically says not to call to speak with a representative. Who the heck knows?

geekette

• Magnum Stache
There are a ton of articles about the delay. Here’s one from AARP.

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
Still waiting on #3 but I got my tax refund by check around 10 days after I filed it online. It is kind of weird.

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
There are a ton of articles about the delay. Here’s one from AARP.

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. Looks like my mom is in the same boat with many other SS recipients. Will give it a couple of more weeks.