Author Topic: How much has Daley's Communications Guide saved you?  (Read 16784 times)

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
How much has Daley's Communications Guide saved you?
« on: April 28, 2015, 03:31:17 PM »
Given some of the suggestions over in this thread, I'd decided I'd like to see some more current, solid numbers out of the community regarding how much the guide specifically has saved you, and ask if anyone is willing to give any short testimonials to quote for the Technical Meshugana website. If you'd rather do it privately, send me a PM. Please do not post your communications savings in this thread if you have not used any of the advice or providers specifically from the guide, and remember forum rule #1.

Full disclosure: The feedback in this thread will likely determine whether I actually continue to keep updating and maintaining the resource for the community in the future. Technical Meshugana has the potential to actually establish and sustain an education-focused non-profit that would have a continued benefit to the community here.

I'll get the ball rolling. By taking my own advice over the years from what I've learned, we are currently spending approximately $55.50 a month for two cellphones, a home phone, a business phone, internet, and entertainment (television). Years ago before venturing down this path, our monthly cost was approximately $165 a month. This currently gives us a monthly savings of $109.50 a month, or $1314 a year.

How about yourselves?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 07:24:56 AM by I.P. Daley »

frompa

• Bristles
Re: How much has Daley's Communications Guide saved you?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 06:59:20 PM »
Thank you for your research and advice.  By switching to Ting I save $65 to $75 every month, and my husband also made the switch about a year ago, so double that monthly savings for us.  WAHOO!

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 07:55:04 AM »
I save $30 a month on cell service.  I could save more, but I can't give up more minutes and data. Facepunch!

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 08:34:41 AM »
I used your advice when my company dumped my cellphone on me and said "Not our responsibility to pay for this anymore but here's a phone."

That was the summer of 2012, let's say August I think. Well a standard verizon iphone plan costs what $70 a month, 33 months since, I pay (let's say on avg. $13 w/ Page Plus) $13 a month. $2,310-$429=$1,881. Your advice has afforded me one full time semester at school, other ways to view it; five months of rent, about a years worth of groceries, or most of my transportation costs for a year.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 08:49:45 AM »
Despite the fact that you seem to steer everyone away from Ting, switching from AT&T had netted me FREE cell phone use for the last two months, thanks to their generous referral credits. $144 saved so far, and at least 3 more free months lined up.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 09:16:39 AM »
I haven't quite completed my first month with Ting, but switching from $85/month T-Mobile to Ting will save me about $50 a month.  This first month the bill will only be around $15 due to referral credit.

Chrissy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 09:23:02 AM »
My bill was $67 at AT&T with a 25% employer discount.  Unlimited talk and text, no data.

Thanks to you, I switched to Airvoice a few months ago, and, last weekend, even worked up the courage to drop down from their $30/mo plan to the 250 minute plan ($10/mo).

$57/mo saved!

*Never had cable.  Internet is still through AT&T.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 10:37:01 AM by Chrissy »

MountainFlower

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 09:32:27 AM »
We're saving about $80/month on 5 phones.  Well, actually that's not true.  I was paying $155/month for 5 phones with no data.  Now I pay about $75/month and two of the phones have basic data plans on airvoice so we're getting a whole lot more for half the price.   

Yearly savings:  $960

Intangibles: 
-Your advise helped me switch FIL to Verizon mvno when AT&T no longer worked at his home making me a hero
-the look on people's faces when you tell them you pay $30/month for your phone
-the fun phone calls from my 80 year old aunt when I load $20 on her phone every four months.  She also sends me awesome old letters that my mom sent her in the 60s.  Can't really put a price on that. 

So, I'd gladly send a paypal donation to your education fund because this is amazing stuff!

jmusic

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 09:41:35 AM »
I switched to Ting and Google Voice SMS in January 2012, probably a year before even discovering MMM.  While I can't attribute the savings to your guide, I've saved an estimated $2600 over 2.5 years from my previous spendypants Verizon plan. 

It's probably time to use some of those savings to upgrade my aging Gnex.  That phone frustrates me so much at times that it's amazing that I haven't destroyed it from a temper tantrum.  I've been waiting it out for a long time because the Sprint network is the only one that gets service at my workplace (going to switch to GSM).

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 09:53:53 AM »
For those caring to keep a running total, from the posts that do provide sufficiently solid numbers (plus one that was PM'd me), we're already looking at around $629.33/month or $7552/year saved between just nine people, and I know the guide has helped more than nine people over the years. ;)

Also, don't forget any internet, cable or satellite savings that might have been directly inspired by the guide as well. It isn't just about cellphones, after all!

Keep 'em coming!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 09:56:33 AM by I.P. Daley »

captainawesome

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, 10:32:52 AM »
We were already saving the money on our cable (lack thereof) and internet, but for cell phones-
Previously spending approx $150/month for two phones on Verizon - $1800/year
Switched to Ptel/Giv was paying $40/month ($1320/year), now Cricket (and moving towards Consumer Cellular) - Current Bill $75/month - $900
Total Savings currently per year - $900.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 10:52:00 AM »
I went from paying $140 for phones on Verizon, to now paying around $75 for two phones on Ptel.

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2015, 11:19:19 AM »
Happy to add my experience!  I found MMM because I was frustrated that my household cellphone bill was as high as any two of my bills combined.  Searching brought me to Daley's Communications Guide and I found that I could bring our lines and existing phones from Sprint to Ting (which I think is what you still recommend if possible).  I save an average of $120/month for the last 16 months.  I should amortize a phone purchase into this, but it still only knocks $10/month off. 

Notably, as DCG got me to MMM, I can probably attribute it with saving a lot more money as well!

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2015, 11:33:04 AM »
I haven't switched my cell yet, but I did give up cable and go to Hulu and netflix.

That is a savings of about $25/mo Not earth shattering, but we have plenty to watch and save a bit.

My plan is to switch to Pages plus using my own phone, that should save me another $30-35/mo

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2015, 11:36:42 AM »
Switched to puretalkUSA, saved about $30/mo.

I could save more... but I'm too lazy to not rent my cable modem :(

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2015, 02:49:56 PM »
Another running total update: 14 people, $944.33/month, or $11,332 a year.

Do any of the oldskoolers here remember the community savings spreadsheets from "way" back in 2012 and 2013?

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2015, 03:01:11 PM »

Do any of the oldskoolers here remember the community savings spreadsheets from "way" back in 2012 and 2013?

Let's try that again.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 03:03:51 PM by matchewed »

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2015, 03:04:31 PM »

Oh Yes! That would be a fun concept to revive, it was always so inspiring to check in and see what people were doing and how much it was saving them! Spreadsheets are not my strong suite, but if one were to be created...hmm I have to see if I have a copy of the original kicking around my drive, I would definitely pin it :)

deeshen13

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2015, 03:32:57 PM »
Well I'm a newish member to the forum, so I just began reading your communications guide today.  Already switched my current Comcast internet plan (Blast+ 50MB for $85) to (Economy Plus 3MB for $35) so looking at $50/month savings going forward.  Really had no idea how much internet speed a person needed until you pointed out 3MB is plenty sufficient for most internet uses.  Thanks much, will implement more soon I'm sure.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2015, 03:43:55 PM »
Thanks, Matchewed and deeshen!

Updated totals, those some of these could be debated:

Thread: 15 people, $11,932/year
Spreadsheet: 28 people, $12,743/year*
Total: 43 people, $24,675/year*, $2056.25/month*

*Ballpark numbers from the 2012/2013 spreadsheet, tried not to take credit for MMM based recommended switches, tried to stick with names I remembered helping, and didn't count lumped savings with other cutbacks.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2015, 03:44:41 PM »
Before: Verizon contract at $140 for 2 phones.

After: sold one and bought a newer AT&T phone ($50 difference between off contract Verizon 4s and AT&T 5s). One is with page plus (4s, $32/month). One is with h2o (5s, $27/month). Total: $59/month. Savings: about $80/month. Switched in October 2014.

Total saved so far: about $425!

TheFixer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Getting smarter, 1 facepunch at a time
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2015, 03:53:23 PM »
We were paying $9/mo ATT gophone and $34/mo Verizon dumbphone, total of $43/mo with no data/internet/text.

Bought 2 Moto G from ting.com for $165, plus monthly bill of $32.  Saving $11/mo on phone service, plus got new smarty phones that do all kinds of useful stuff.

If the new phones are amortized over 24mos, the cost comes to $39/mo for better phones & better service.  Put another way, -10% in cost for +100% better user experience.

Thanks Daley!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 04:14:39 PM by TheFixer »

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2015, 08:28:46 AM »
Updated totals, caveats carried forward:

Thread: 17 people, $13,024/year
Total: 45 people, $25,767/year*, $2147.25/month*

*Ballpark numbers from the 2012/2013 spreadsheet, tried not to take credit for MMM based recommended switches, tried to stick with names I remembered helping, and didn't count lumped savings with other cutbacks.

Anyone else want to add to these numbers?

benjenn

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2015, 08:53:59 AM »
We went from having two iPhones on AT&T with a monthly bill over $245 to two Moto G phones on Republic Wireless with a monthly bill of $36.  We had to buy out our contract with AT&T and purchase the phones on Republic for a grand total of $580 but we sold the two iPhones on craigslist for $600 so we were $20 ahead.  We're saving $209 per month and are very happy with our phones - plus our coverage has improved because we had terrible AT&T coverage in our condo but the RW phones work great using the wi-fi.  I know you don't like RW but it's been a big savings for us and we're really happy with it.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2015, 09:01:46 AM »
I went from not having a cellphone to . . . not having a cellphone.  However, ages ago when I skimmed the thread it inspired me to move our land line phone (35$/month) over to voip (14$/month).

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2015, 09:58:54 PM »
I think I sent a PM with my info (why are PMs not saved?!?) - 3 phones went from $113/month with AT&T down to <$17/month on Airvoice, so $96/month!

We also switched from Vonage to VoIPo and saved another $12/month (although Vonage was going up when I switched, so the savings is actually a bit more).

TrulyStashin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2015, 06:30:16 AM »
May of 2013:  2 people, 2 smartphones, Verizon.  $175/ mo average.

Since June of 2013:  2 people, 2 smartphones, Ting.  $48/ mo average.

Two years of saving $127/ mo.  $3048

IP Daley, you're my hero!  ;)

Dr.Vibrissae

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2015, 07:03:38 AM »
Your thread inspired me to actually take the plunge and switch.

in 2013 we had 2 dumb phones on Verizon: $87 (with a discount, and the ridiculous part is this was just to get enough texting)
Now we have 2 phones on Page Plus for $40 (was lower, but had to get a more expensive plan when the old phone died and we inherited an iPhone that requires the 4G service.)

Looking this up has reminded me that I need to assess our usage again.  Plus, my neighbors want to split internet service with us, so I guess I need to browse the Guide again to get some tips!

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2015, 07:04:54 AM »
I propose a new unit of measure for this: The FI. The FI is an amount of money per year that is equivalent to MMM's yearly spending. I believe IP has saved the users of this forum at least 1 FI based on numbers already. Sweet!

NumberCruncher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2015, 07:08:56 AM »
Husband went from AT&T paygo to Ptel and saved $3.30/mo (but of course also gained better service)
I went from Ting to Ptel and saved $9/mo

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2015, 07:45:41 AM »
I'd already cut cable a long time ago and don't have any home phone, but your guide successfully helped me cut my T-Mobile bill from $45ish with tax to a paygo via AirVoice (didn't do P'Tel as ATT's network is more solid where I need it).

My new monthly average is $10. Can't remember when I switched, but I think it's close to a year now, so you've saved me $360.

NICE!

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2015, 08:02:53 AM »
I was averaging somewhere in the $25/month range with Ting. I'll round up and call it $30/month vs the $90/month I was paying for Sprint. $60/month or $720/year in savings.

DW did the $50/month T-Mobile plan, which was a huge victory as she was very suspicious of my miserly cellular ways. I might be able to get her lower when we return to the States. We weren't married before, so I don't know how much to say our monthly plan would've cost pre-IP. Any guesses? I was running Sprint unlimited.

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2015, 08:19:15 AM »
I was averaging somewhere in the $25/month range with Ting. I'll round up and call it $30/month vs the $90/month I was paying for Sprint. $60/month or $720/year in savings.

DW did the $50/month T-Mobile plan, which was a huge victory as she was very suspicious of my miserly cellular ways. I might be able to get her lower when we return to the States. We weren't married before, so I don't know how much to say our monthly plan would've cost pre-IP. Any guesses? I was running Sprint unlimited.
Was it Sprint unlimited for one line or for two?  Probably between $120 + $160 if you had smartphones.

NICE!

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2015, 08:21:36 AM »

Was it Sprint unlimited for one line or for two?  Probably between $120 + $160 if you had smartphones.

Shoot, you're right. I lowballed my Sprint bill from before marriage.

Ting + TMobile = $80/month...and I wanted it lower!
Spring = $130/month

Savings = $50/month or $600/year.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2015, 08:54:35 AM »
New updated totals, caveats carried forward:

This thread: 23 people, $16,532/year
New comms thread: 4 people, $4128/year**
Total: 55 people, $33,403/year*, $2783.58/month*

That's an average savings of roughly $607/year per person!

**Reported verifiable, solid monthly or annual savings numbers only. These numbers include Shivan's $1200/year savings, the only person in the community who's savings using RW will be counted towards these numbers, because he actually used the guide, debated their shortcomings, asked me questions, and went in a fully informed and prepared customer.

Edit: I'll be digging through the old superguide thread as time permits, and try not to duplicate efforts. I've also gotten a few private number reports directly through the website over the years, but I'm not sure if I want to count them if for no other reason than lack of public verification.

I might be able to get her lower when we return to the States.

Well, good news! Ting does both Sprint CDMA and T-Mobile GSM now, and they allow both handsets on the same account. That might simplify things.

I think I sent a PM with my info (why are PMs not saved?!?) - 3 phones went from $113/month with AT&T down to <$17/month on Airvoice, so $96/month!

We also switched from Vonage to VoIPo and saved another $12/month (although Vonage was going up when I switched, so the savings is actually a bit more).

I'd already gotten you. ;)

RE: the PM's, there's a setting for that.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 09:36:08 AM by I.P. Daley »

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2015, 10:53:18 AM »
Brief update, first 400 posts of the old Superguide:

10 people, $9754/year.

jmusic

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2015, 10:55:31 AM »
IP, Sorry for the OT post, but is there a VOIP provider that handles SMS?   

I'm on Google Hangouts now, but looking to transition to a paid VOIP for privacy/quality.  That's probably the only hitch that keeps me from going whole hog.

NICE!

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2015, 12:33:11 PM »
Well, good news! Ting does both Sprint CDMA and T-Mobile GSM now, and they allow both handsets on the same account. That might simplify things.

Oh, that's not the issue now. In fact, she has a GSM unlocked iphone. The problem is that DW doesn't like having to budget minutes or texts like money. She knows she's not being logical and readily admits it. She's already moved off the expensive plan bandwagon, so I'm happy with the improvement and will just be patient.

But, we won't be in the US for awhile. In fact, we'll continue to be in the developing world where we won't have unlimited plans. I'm hoping this will be helpful in getting her used to 'budgeting' minutes/texts.

Anyway, our big improvements (principally the Sprint to Ting move) are thanks to you, IP. We appreciate it!

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2015, 03:00:51 PM »
IP, Sorry for the OT post, but is there a VOIP provider that handles SMS?   

I'm on Google Hangouts now, but looking to transition to a paid VOIP for privacy/quality.  That's probably the only hitch that keeps me from going whole hog.

Typically I like to keep these sorts of things in the guide discussion thread. VoIP providers from the guide itself that does SMS, however: VOIPo and VOIP.ms. Not in the guide currently, Anveo. There's also a few VoIP-based, proprietary providers that do SMS as well such as NETtalk and Rebtel. There's a few around, but not too many, especially with reasonable SMS rates. The technology term you're looking for specifically is SIP SIMPLE (though it's not the only method).

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2015, 03:14:51 PM »
Technically the guide made my own communication costs go up, as I was living without cell service before. So that went from 0 to an average of $8/month. Where's my refund?

However, if you take my extended household, costs went from $75 to $48, which is savings of 27 sweet, sweet after-tax dollars.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2015, 03:23:24 PM »
So far, about $43k/yr or about 1.7 FI.

jmusic

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2015, 04:15:17 PM »

You were spending $3600/mo on cell phones???  Business?

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2015, 04:23:51 PM »

You were spending $3600/mo on cell phones???  Business?

For everyone. Total so far.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2015, 10:49:53 AM »
Cut the cable and home phone in favor of internet only and VoIP.  Savings on the phone is $24 per month. Savings on cable is about 62 per month.

Cell phone contract goes away next month (currently about $100 per month). Hope to drop to $30ish or so. I repaired my phone rather than new contract and such, so there has been further savings there 

Thank you so much for your tech guide! I have referred other non-mustachians friends to it because it is so helpful.

shuffler

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2015, 02:49:03 PM »
AT&T -> AVW's $10 plan.
Currently only actually using ~$8/mo.

So that's around $60/mo of savings.  $720/yr.

fields

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2015, 07:20:24 PM »
From $180/mo for 3 iPhone on ATT to $87/mo for 3 moto g on RW, saving $100/mo (but paid $450 for new phones).  Also saved my partner $40/mo moving her Verizon iPhone to Verizon's prepaid plan.

VERY happy about the savings, but not thrilled with moto g's or calls on RW.  Also, I think there are probably better/cheaper options out there, but I get really frustrated trying to figure out which phones you can take where.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 07:22:34 PM by fields »

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2015, 09:22:03 PM »
I have less cell service and internet bandwidth than I would have otherwise but it's hard to quantify. When I move overseas in August and I'm setting up cell service from scratch it'll be easier to see a 'hard' number. That said, huge tip of the hat to IP Daley! His side project has saved the MMM community as much as I've made most years since I started working! IPD, keep up the good fight!

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2015, 08:45:35 AM »
New updated totals, caveats carried forward:

This thread: 26 people, $18,608/year
New comms thread: 4 people, $4128/year**
Old superguide thread: 10 people, $9754/year**
Total: 68 people, $45,233/year*, $3769.42/month*

That's an average savings of roughly $665/year per person!

**Reported verifiable, solid monthly or annual savings numbers only. These numbers include Shivan's $1200/year savings, the only person in the community who's savings using RW will be counted towards these numbers, because he actually used the guide, debated their shortcomings, asked me questions, and went in a fully informed and prepared customer.

I'm still digging through the old superguide thread as time permits (only the first 400 reviewed thus far), and try not to duplicate efforts. Time has been sparse lately, apologies.

VERY happy about the savings, but not thrilled with moto g's or calls on RW.  Also, I think there are probably better/cheaper options out there, but I get really frustrated trying to figure out which phones you can take where.

This is exactly why I created the guide, to help people like yourself stay away from bum providers and help steer you towards more frugal options that can let you take the current phone you're happy with to greener pastures. As for general portability, it's a mess... and it's why I recommend going with a GSM provider if possible when new handsets are required. Check out the guide and feel free to hit up the discussion thread if you need any help untangling yourself from the RW mess.

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2015, 09:28:27 AM »
Does it count if I read it and then ignored it and got Ting anyway?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 01:11:05 PM by swick »

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2015, 11:30:50 AM »
Does it count if I read it and then ignored it and got Ting anyway?

It's cool, Swick.

Skunkfunk, does this mean you didn't actually read the guide since Ting has been listed in it since August 13, 2012?

For the record, Ting was added three months before MMM even mentioned the company in his Airvoice review, and nearly a year before he publicly reviewed Ting and posted a referral link.