Author Topic: How much do you spend on alcohol per month?  (Read 69955 times)

Rightflyer

• Bristles
Re: How much do you spend on alcohol per month?
« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2016, 03:38:08 PM »
The only really honest people here (other than the insufferable tea-totallers).

Good on ya'.

I'm afraid to even try to add it all up...way too much I'm sure, $300 - $500 a month maybe between the two of us?  It's our only vice.  We eat very well, don't smoke, no drugs, exercise regularly, get our annual physicals (all good numbers), etc.  That's how we justify it, anyway :-).  Mostly beer (macro brews...not really into the whole micro thing, except for a good Wheat), a lot of wine (we like chardonnay...usually Black Box, but like to buy different bottles at World Market), and rum...really good rum (kind of part and parcel to the whole beachbum thing). 

And for those who choose not to drink, kudos!  Your choice, don't let people give you a bad time about it. 

Cheers all!

backyardfeast

• Pencil Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #101 on: March 23, 2016, 06:47:00 PM »
    Clearly you've never tried a 12 year single malt scotch on the rocks!

Or a Lagevulin 16....

People! Single malt scotch should never be ruined with ice!!

Whew.  Ok, chiming in to support the original poster, as we're also in BC, land of super-expensive booze, which we love and are not giving up.  I actually don't drink all that much; I aim for that 1 per day max for healthy women.  Anyone ever look at the serving sizes for what those really mean?  Tiny!  So I aim for 1 small glass of wine or I just sip away at hubby's super-tasty microbrews.  He does drink more, a beer a night most days and sometimes a scotch.  Yummm...

Mrs Tuxedocat, given our fancy booze tastes, we do a few things to try to keep our costs reasonable.  We make cider from our apples down at the local u-brew, and I mostly get decent quality box wine.  I budget about $150/mo; that's WAY low from what it used to be, especially when we socialized more.  But it's still enough to have a few good, pricey beers each week, supplemented by the wine and cider.  We also accept gifts in the form of scotch to keep our costs down there!

(But we might have returned from Scotland one year with 14 bottles of scotch in our luggage...don't ask about the duty we paid when we got to customs...)

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #102 on: March 23, 2016, 06:52:27 PM »

Or a Lagevulin 16....

Whew.  Ok, chiming in to support the original poster, as we're also in BC, land of super-expensive booze, which we love and are not giving up.  I actually don't drink all that much; I aim for that 1 per day max for healthy women.  Anyone ever look at the serving sizes for what those really mean?  Tiny!  So I aim for 1 small glass of wine or I just sip away at hubby's super-tasty microbrews.  He does drink more, a beer a night most days and sometimes a scotch.  Yummm...

Mrs Tuxedocat, given our fancy booze tastes, we do a few things to try to keep our costs reasonable.  We make cider from our apples down at the local u-brew, and I mostly get decent quality box wine.  I budget about $150/mo; that's WAY low from what it used to be, especially when we socialized more.  But it's still enough to have a few good, pricey beers each week, supplemented by the wine and cider.  We also accept gifts in the form of scotch to keep our costs down there!

(But we might have returned from Scotland one year with 14 bottles of scotch in our luggage...don't ask about the duty we paid when we got to customs...)
Who're you calling people!? I drink mine straight!

Gin & tonic gets lots of ice, though. Trader Joe's tonic is excellent.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: March 23, 2016, 06:59:09 PM »
I spend about $25 - $30 per month on alcohol.  We usually get one bottle of red wine per weekend. 

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: March 23, 2016, 07:18:20 PM »
40$ between me and my husband, in Quebec. Averaging a bottle of wine and maybe 2 cocktails per week.

We get our wine made (4$/bottle, instead of 14$/bottle in store - thanks for the tip, MMM!) and once a year we do a huuuuge SAQ depot run for liquor (my husband likes mixing cocktails, and this gets us schmancy cocktails for 15% off.)

aspiringnomad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #105 on: March 23, 2016, 07:35:32 PM »
Mint says about $90/month on alcohol/bars which is mostly wine these days with the odd craft beer or scotch mixed in. I'm careful about categorizing each transaction, but that wouldn't include drinks during restaurant meals (maybe 2-3/month). I didn't realize so many Mustachians were teetotalers. Good on ya if that works for you.

Mtngrl

• Bristles
« Reply #106 on: March 23, 2016, 09:07:04 PM »
This fascinating thread led me to add up the numbers for this year. Comes to right at $100 a month. This includes DH's homebrew supplies.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #107 on: March 23, 2016, 09:09:14 PM »
Maybe $10.

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #108 on: March 23, 2016, 11:53:51 PM »
Interesting responses on where people put alcohol on their budget (and how much they spend too!). I don't include drinks from pubs/restaurants on my alcohol budget as that's more entertainment from my viewpoint. But it would be at least double :)

Lmoot

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal
« Reply #109 on: March 24, 2016, 04:40:26 AM »
$30-40 dollars on red wine (4 oz/ day). Not much of a drinker.

Bucksandreds

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #110 on: March 24, 2016, 05:17:40 AM »

Or a Lagevulin 16....

Not me. A tiny bit of ice for this weakling. I need my drinks cold. I'm extremely American in that I need cold drinks with ice. I've been to Europe and watched them drink nearly warm coke. Gross.

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #111 on: March 24, 2016, 07:09:07 AM »
Not much at the moment - probably £10-25 a month - from two to five glasses of wine out.

I have a stache at home of booze-cruised wine from France...

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #112 on: March 24, 2016, 07:39:00 AM »

Or a Lagevulin 16....

Not me. A tiny bit of ice for this weakling. I need my drinks cold. I'm extremely American in that I need cold drinks with ice. I've been to Europe and watched them drink nearly warm coke. Gross.

Not so much to cool it, but a bit of water floated in really makes it bloom. I usually take mine with a bit of ice. Depends on if it's a peaty Lagavulin or a much smoother Glenlivet.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 07:45:26 AM by Metric Mouse »

robtown

• Stubble
« Reply #113 on: March 25, 2016, 02:56:23 PM »
$100 for wine --- recently about $8 per bottle mail order  -- wine with most dinners
$20 for beer
$20 for hard stuff --- gin, vodka, rum, scotch, tequila, liquors

That's for two adults (mostly just me),  plus occasional beer consumption by adult son

jscott2135

• Stubble
« Reply #114 on: March 26, 2016, 08:36:40 AM »
Meh I'll be the weirdo here I guess.  I love alcohol.  Its my vice, and I'm healthy in most every other regard so I happily imbibe.  We prbably spend around $200/mo.  Like eating out, its our weak spot in the budget

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #115 on: March 26, 2016, 09:06:35 AM »
Wife has never drank alcohol in her life. I love good wine and beer, tequila, etc. But over the past 3 years our monthly alcohol spending has been a solid $0. On 3 or 4 occasions over this period, I accepted a free pour (of wine) at cocktail parties/receptions. With regard to total beverage consumption, our family of 4 primarily drinks water so beverages as a class has a tiny monthly budget for us (milk & homemade coffee only).

gizmonte

SaskyStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #116 on: March 26, 2016, 02:49:28 PM »

Or a Lagevulin 16....

Not so much to cool it, but a bit of water floated in really makes it bloom. I usually take mine with a bit of ice. Depends on if it's a peaty Lagavulin or a much smoother Glenlivet.

I do sometimes as well depending on the scotch or how I'm feeling and sometimes use whiskey stones. For good rum or other good whiskey like bourbon I almost always have it with ice. Nothing with good tequila though. Just personal taste.

Wekeeprollingdowntheroad

• Bristles
« Reply #117 on: March 26, 2016, 03:31:22 PM »
Came here to see people who don't drink post that they don't drink, instead of just not bothering to post.

Was not disappointed.

This kinda reminds me of a defensive car clown 😄
Question was hpw much do you spend on alcohol a month? This is a blog about cutting out unnecessary expenses, it seems natural that those who spend 0 on booze pipe up?

Wekeeprollingdowntheroad

• Bristles
« Reply #118 on: March 26, 2016, 03:43:10 PM »
Came here to see people who don't drink post that they don't drink, instead of just not bothering to post.

Was not disappointed.

LOL!!!!!!!!!

I'll admit I was pretty shocked by the number of teetotalers here on MMM!

Really? I was kind of shocked the other way- after all - alcohol could be classified as "shit we don't need"... 🤓

RosieTR

• Bristles
« Reply #119 on: March 26, 2016, 05:26:55 PM »
We spend more on alcohol than eating out, and eating out includes any alcohol also ordered at the restaurant. An outing involving just a brewery (or cidery or meadery etc) gets counted as alcohol. There are a lot of those around here and we enjoy that as a fairly cheap date ($7 each for a pint and no gas if we ride bikes).

Alcohol total is a bit under $200/mo but trying to work this down to more like $150. I could easily do that by skipping the glass of wine some days, but DH definitely likes a beer or glass of wine or two each evening. He also brews, the supplies for which count in the alcohol category. Mostly craft beer and boxed wine, generally a drink per evening for me and two for him. Obviously we could cut way more down but we expect to drink alcohol in FIRE so may as well figure out now what level we're comfortable with. To me, FIRE is not about cutting every last thing down to the bone (if it were, I'd be FIREd now).

Generally not much of a fan of hard liquor-scotch or otherwise.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #120 on: March 26, 2016, 06:08:21 PM »
Really? I was kind of shocked the other way- after all - alcohol could be classified as "shit we don't need"... 🤓

Speak for yourself... :D

Tigerpine

• Bristles
« Reply #121 on: March 26, 2016, 06:13:07 PM »
Per month?  I dunno...$20-$30 maybe?  Some months $0.

The only alcohol I buy nowadays is beer.  Once upon a time, I used to buy an occasional bottle of wine.

Reyes01

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #122 on: March 26, 2016, 07:29:54 PM »
$0

I've never acquired a taste for it:-)

Nickels Dimes Quarters

• Stubble
    • Nickels, Dimes & Quarters ~ It All Adds Up
« Reply #123 on: March 26, 2016, 07:34:28 PM »
$0.

I do love reds, just not a priority these days.

NDQ

Wekeeprollingdowntheroad

• Bristles
« Reply #124 on: March 26, 2016, 07:47:35 PM »

Haha I got no problem with that!  I think the thing that irks me a little is when people equate drinking alcohol with coolness or as some kind of strange status symbol. It's not cool or amazing in any way- you're lifting an arm and you're drinking a beverage. Advertising has got people convinced  however- very similar to how cigarettes used to be cool. If you like the beverage and it gives you something that you need, or want great! I just get a little needled when people act like I'm crazy or high and mighty or whatever other silly projection because I don't drink. It doesn't make sense to me, gives me nothing I need so I don't do it. And now I sound defensive. WELL I AM 😅

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #125 on: March 26, 2016, 08:16:39 PM »
Maybe $5 average?

I don't really drink that much, but will have something on occasion (every 3-4 months maybe).  So over the course of a year maybe it adds up to about $50.

SaskyStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #126 on: March 26, 2016, 11:11:06 PM »

Haha I got no problem with that!  I think the thing that irks me a little is when people equate drinking alcohol with coolness or as some kind of strange status symbol. It's not cool or amazing in any way- you're lifting an arm and you're drinking a beverage. Advertising has got people convinced  however- very similar to how cigarettes used to be cool. If you like the beverage and it gives you something that you need, or want great! I just get a little needled when people act like I'm crazy or high and mighty or whatever other silly projection because I don't drink. It doesn't make sense to me, gives me nothing I need so I don't do it. And now I sound defensive. WELL I AM 😅

Fair enough. Although I don't think anyone here equates it with the "cool lifestyle". I equate it more with a slightly shameful money drain, but something that I truly enjoy and don't want to give up. Probably in the same boat as a few folks. I don't drink to be cool (no longer an option for me), but to have fun -- responsibly usually, unresponsively sometimes.

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
« Reply #127 on: March 27, 2016, 12:00:51 AM »
Maybe $20/mo. I'll have about 3 drinks on average in a six week period. I work out to sea for three weeks, where I do not drink, then I am home for three weeks when I maybe have 1 drink per week. Add the very occasional drink at a restaurant and the 4-5 I have when we have guests, and I would say $20 is a reasonable estimate.

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #128 on: March 27, 2016, 04:15:59 AM »
$100-$200 per month.

I recognise this is quite high.

My biggest concern about our alcohol consumption isn't so much that we spend a reasonable amount of money on it but that we tend to drink more during periods of higher stress. I do not like falling to the habit of relying on a glass of wine after work to unwind as I believe this be an unhealthy sign.

sjc0816

• Bristles
« Reply #129 on: March 27, 2016, 07:37:33 AM »
$100-$200 per month.

I recognise this is quite high.

My biggest concern about our alcohol consumption isn't so much that we spend a reasonable amount of money on it but that we tend to drink more during periods of higher stress. I do not like falling to the habit of relying on a glass of wine after work to unwind as I believe this be an unhealthy sign.

Ditto all of this. DH just had a conversation about this last night.  Too many consecutive nights of drinking (not binge drinking but that doesn't matter). Directly related to stress (FIL illness, hospital, hospice, death, funeral, mil aftermath).

Anyway, we are cutting back.

CheapScholar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #130 on: March 27, 2016, 06:34:24 PM »
$12.  Four bottles of Aldi wine.

Verdandi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #131 on: March 28, 2016, 07:43:15 AM »
I goes under our grocery budget. I'd guess around 10€ / month.
The bf will buy 1-2 sixpacks of Aldi beer. We also like to drink wine, maybe 2 bottles a month. As nearly every guest that comes to our place brings a bottle of wine as present, we always have more than we drink :-)

Libertea

• Bristles
« Reply #132 on: March 28, 2016, 08:10:19 AM »
Nothing.  Never have understood the appeal of drinking alcohol.  One experience of getting drunk in college was enough aversion therapy to convince me to leave the stuff alone.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #133 on: March 28, 2016, 11:50:59 AM »
Essentially $0/month for myself. If I buy alcohol, it is as a gift for people that do like it.

Like many others here, I don't care for the taste of it. Even the "good stuff" tastes bad to me. I also don't care for feeling buzzed or drunk. I tried drinking when I was 21-22. I gave up on it after about 5 months because it seemed like everything I tried made me sleepy and or nauseous.

I have no regrets about swearing it off. My urge to avoid discomfort has always overruled my urge to fit in socially. It tastes bad and makes me feel bad, so I feel no obligation to drink it even if it makes people around me uncomfortable.

jms493

• Stubble
« Reply #134 on: March 28, 2016, 01:27:39 PM »
$20-$30 a month.  Usually a 1-2 12 pack of bottles will be fine.  We tend to only drink on weekends.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #135 on: March 28, 2016, 06:13:08 PM »
Fuck, I spent like $400 this month on booze. On one hand, I am annoyed at myself. On the other hand, really fantastic booze.

What do you drink? A bottle of Scotch every few days?

I don't have a drinking problem, I have a buying problem.

I bought:

- Stagg Jr
- Elijah Craig barrel proof release #10
- Elijah Craig 12 (1.75L)
- Old Weller Antique
- Corazon Blanco (375ml)
- Corazon Reposado (375ml)
- Lunazul Reposado
- Maestro Dobel Diamante
- Maestro Dobel Diamante as thanks
- Beer for people as thanks for favors
- Five bottles of wine that were pretty reduced

I might be missing something.

I bought a bunch for other people, some for myself. I actually consume (for myself and guests) at most a half bottle of hard liquor a month, usually less... a few beers, maybe a bottle of wine but only once in a while.

I just really like having good liquor.

I am strongly considering going back and buying like two cases of two of my favorite bourbons. Why? Because fuck me, that's why.

ptgearguy

• Stubble
« Reply #136 on: March 28, 2016, 07:08:35 PM »
I choose not to drink for health reasons and I personally have never really cared for the cost or the taste. Never seemed worth it to me. I do really enjoy coffee though and probably spend 25 bucks a month average

kudy

• Pencil Stache

GoConfidently

• Stubble
« Reply #138 on: March 28, 2016, 10:40:18 PM »
About $30/month. That's for a $25 bottle of made in Texas whiskey and enough ginger beer to make Kentucky Mules. Occasionally beer or a bottle of red wine.

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #139 on: March 29, 2016, 03:53:55 AM »
About $40-50 in Aussie wine. Yellowtail Big Bold Red. I decided to stop drinking during the week so we'll see what happens. It's been a few days

index

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #140 on: March 29, 2016, 10:53:17 AM »
About $200/month. About a case of wine a month (12) for an average of about 150, a bottle of good scotch every 2 months, and a six pack maybe every 6 weeks. That is for two people; puts us in the 65 drinks per month per person minus whatever we share...

JLee

• Walrus Stache

afuera

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #142 on: March 29, 2016, 12:10:59 PM »
$150 a month...
My husband plays rugby which pretty much translates into hit people really hard and then drink beer with them.  He also has a taste for sipping nice whiskey and scotch.  I love a good margarita/mimosa on occasion but generally have a few glasses a week of bota box wine.
We are trying to spend less here and have actually come along way from about $400/month (drank at bars a lot more, pretentious wine instead of box wine, etc.).

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #143 on: March 29, 2016, 12:29:39 PM »
No one makes moonshine here?  Seems like the frugal way to go, I'm surprised.  Even if you did you couldn't say anything, I see.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #144 on: March 29, 2016, 12:34:29 PM »
No one makes moonshine here?  Seems like the frugal way to go, I'm surprised.  Even if you did you couldn't say anything, I see.

It's hard to type on an internet forum when you've gone blind from home made moonshine.  :P

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #145 on: March 29, 2016, 01:04:37 PM »

It's hard to type on an internet forum when you've gone blind from home made moonshine.  :P

Nah, most people making 'shine these days know what they're doing. The best vodka you'll ever have will come from a guy with his own still, I guarantee it.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #146 on: March 29, 2016, 06:53:58 PM »
Zero

HenryDavid

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #147 on: March 30, 2016, 09:20:10 AM »
In 2015, $200/month.
This is for a couple whose home life and socializing revolves around cooking, eating, and drinking wine with friends at our place and theirs.
Not guzzling, just enjoying--and there's definitely a level of hedonic adaptation because we go to France for a few months yearly (!), know wine and food writers, and somehow got "discerning" (snobby) enough not to enjoy the very cheapest stuff.
(When that's what's on offer, we have a little sip and just don't drink any more, which is fine too. Snobby?)
Sadly Canada doesn't have some of the cheaper good wine options the US offers, yet. France, OTOH, is full of great cheap stuff straight from the enthusiastic people who make it.
We reflect on the costs and pleasures involved and are totally happy with this. A nice part of life that we only discovered once we could truly afford it!

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #148 on: March 30, 2016, 10:47:08 AM »

You would have to go out of your way to actually become blind from sipping 'shine. Actually, you would probably die from EthOH poisoning before any of that happened.

In addition, Commercial grade spirits and wines actually contain more MethOH (what makes you go blind) than properly done 'shine. MethOH is a natural by-product of yeast fermentation.

The stories of people going blind actually stem from the prohibition era when some people drank distilled rubbing alcohol or other such substances.

I know all of this because I like reading about history and I did lots of classes in microbial biology. NOTHING MORE! 

FLJOEL

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #149 on: March 30, 2016, 01:41:25 PM »
We spend about $500 a month for booze. Lucky enough to live on a canal in Florida (when market dropped) and have a pontoon on lift out back. About every weekend we float on the river with friends. Going out to eat is not our thing, maybe once a month. We've designed our backyard to be welcoming and always have friends over.

With the kids grown up and out of the house we are enjoying our freedom (late 40s). I can understand some of you with young kids who have other priorities to worry about, such as baseball/football practice. But thank goodness our time is done. ;) 

Pick and choose what you find fun and don't forget to live it along the way rather than some abstract date where your mobility is limited. We do however manage to save 75% of our income so not totally out of control.

Cheers,
FLJoel

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!