Author Topic: How many Mustachians running Side Projects with Full-Time jobs ?  (Read 47920 times)

thor800

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Holding down a full-time job & just started helping a friend with https://www.storemapper.co/

The site is currently making about $6k - $7k / month building store locator software for businesses

http://www.mvmtwatches.com/pages/locations

Would love to hear about other side projects out there.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
Re: How many Mustachians running Side Projects with Full-Time jobs ?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 08:39:33 PM »
Nice!  I'm holding down a full-time job and sefl-publishing on the side, making about $2,000/month.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 09:02:29 PM »
Full-time job and just starting working on side gigs.  Made $58 the first month.  Looking to eventually make at least $300/month in side income.

Retired To Win

• Handlebar Stache
  • making the most of my time and my money
    • Retired To Win
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 09:08:47 PM »
Nice!  I'm holding down a full-time job and self-publishing on the side, making about $2,000/month.

Is that publishing e-books? Or?

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 10:45:07 PM »
I've always had some kind of side gig.  The last few years has been building online businesses - the current one is finally (after 3 years) coming into something that pays fairly well - maybe enough to quit the day job and make it a full time gig.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 06:05:30 AM »
I taught sewing and embroidery while I was working full time

ColorOfCash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 06:11:51 AM »
Programming full time, then programming 15-20/hrs week in the evening when the kids are in bed. Extra $4k/month that we live off of, day job goes to FI fund.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 06:20:01 AM »
I'm at almost $1000/month for the year in side gig money, so hopefully that continues.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 06:23:39 AM »
In 2014 I pulled a normal contract at a Client's office M-F setting up a quality system. Managed a project remotely for 4 months for another Client made an extra 40% that year with the side gig.

It was a bit hectic for a couple months at the peak of the 2nd project, but I couldn't really say no to the work. Both from a saving perspective and from wanting to keep the 2nd Clients happy as I'll want the occasional project from them after FIRE to top up my investments.

-- Vik

teacherwithamustache

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 08:14:28 AM »
Full time Teacher 60K a year (September-May) (187 days)

SAT Tutor 15K a year (April, May, October)  (100 hours total)

Sports Referee 12k a year (August, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan) (30 hours per month)

Side Business 8k last year should be 15k this year (August, Sep) 100 hours total

Non Profit Admin Grant Stipend 10k a year (Dec, Jan, Feb) 250 hours total

I like teaching but I like being the master of my own time as well.  I need to work 90 days a year to get "pension credit" for teaching.  I can make 30k a year as a part time teacher work 100 days and get my pension credit.  If my grant gets renewed I am out the door with full time teaching.  I currently save right at 25k a year.

Blonde Lawyer

• Pencil Stache
    • My Student Loan Refi Story
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 08:57:49 AM »
For those of you just saying "side business" or "side gig" could you give more info?

I'm doing Amazon Mturk nights and weekends for about $100/month.  The more I do the better work I qualify for and I'm hoping to get that up to $300/month.  Per hour my rate isn't great but it is downtime where I would just be screwing off online anyway so I don't feel like I'm losing anything.  I'm not obsessed and don't skip out on other things to do it.  It's just my default for "I'm bored."

I also have a referral link for my student loan refinancing that has been bringing in about $200/month.  I have it in my signature on some forums I belong to (like here) and for others that use WordPress I created a blog post explaining my experience and linking to my referral link that I can attach to my name on those blogs.  I also try to search the news for articles about student loans and comment there.  It is a fine line between promoting a business I feel strongly about and being careful not to spam since I do benefit financially from it. 

If anyone else has a side gig that includes pimping a referral link, I'd love to hear more tips on making that more profitable.

Iron Mike Sharpe

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 09:19:38 AM »
Up about $6K on the year playing poker.

jmusic

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 09:23:44 AM »
For those of you just saying "side business" or "side gig" could you give more info?

I'm doing Amazon Mturk nights and weekends for about $100/month.  The more I do the better work I qualify for and I'm hoping to get that up to $300/month.  Per hour my rate isn't great but it is downtime where I would just be screwing off online anyway so I don't feel like I'm losing anything.  I'm not obsessed and don't skip out on other things to do it.  It's just my default for "I'm bored."

I also have a referral link for my student loan refinancing that has been bringing in about $200/month.  I have it in my signature on some forums I belong to (like here) and for others that use WordPress I created a blog post explaining my experience and linking to my referral link that I can attach to my name on those blogs.  I also try to search the news for articles about student loans and comment there.  It is a fine line between promoting a business I feel strongly about and being careful not to spam since I do benefit financially from it. 

If anyone else has a side gig that includes pimping a referral link, I'd love to hear more tips on making that more profitable.

I understand if you don't want to consider this (need a mental break from the dayjob etc) but if you are indeed a lawyer, you could freelance on Odesk instead and get $50+/hr for simple legal issues.

iwasjustwondering

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 09:51:31 AM »
I do adjunct teaching, one semester per year, for around $10K.  I love it, but it's an incredibly exhausting semester.  I can't manage it next year, because my kids need more time and supervision than they get during these three months.  I wouldn't do this for the money; I'm doing it because I want to transition to full-time teaching work in the next few years, and I'm trying to get experience/a track record in the field. 

I'm still finishing saving for college, so I'm going to stay at my full-time job (close to home, with great hours, little travel and a good paycheck), for the next 5 to 7 years, and then take a step back and do something like f/t adjunct work, or find a non-tenure-track job somewhere.

Blonde Lawyer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 10:50:01 AM »

I understand if you don't want to consider this (need a mental break from the dayjob etc) but if you are indeed a lawyer, you could freelance on Odesk instead and get $50+/hr for simple legal issues.

I haven't heard of that.  I'll look into it but most firm jobs would prevent freelancing.  I work for a liberal small place though so after checking it out I'll see if it is worth trying to get permission. 

And you are correct, I enjoy doing the "mindless" tasks on Mturk.  Not sure I would want to do more "lawyering" on my "off" time.

MillenialMustache

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2015, 10:52:50 AM »
I love sidegigs - recently realized I was living off those and banking my and my DH's entire paycheck.

Here is a list:

-Selling on Ebay - profit of around $600 min per month. Gross is over $1,000.
-Landlord - Profit is at a minimum right now, but we make around $600 a month over the rent cost, pay ahead the mortgage some, fix things, and put extra money on the home. We hope to pay it off in a couple of years and then partly live off the money.
-Mystery Shopping - Get many meals for free, and some income. Income of around $100 a month, and free food of $100+ a month
-Adjunct teaching - at least $1900 per semester

We are saving to buy a second rental in cash, and then I will retire to ramp up Ebay. DH will retire around when we pay off the first home. Then we will travel and have kids. We are 28 now.

HopefulMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2015, 11:28:07 AM »
I was recently laid off from my full-time job, but I was working my side-gig of editing/marketing/promotion for years at the same time (and still am). It's fun, I like working with indie authors and it's been a nice source of income. I plan to continue it after full-time employment resumes.

Apostrophe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2015, 12:36:41 PM »
I work a full-time job and have a few side gigs...

1) valet parking
2) renting my car out on RelayRides (I ride my motorcycle when the car is rented out)
3) driving for Lyft when I'm not doing valet and the car is not rented out.

With expenses below $1k/month, I live off my side income and my primary income is all saved.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2015, 01:02:31 PM »
I have a full time stress-free job doing practically nothing (three weeks in, two weeks out), and an awesome side gig that brings an average of $2000 as a support worker for persons with developmental disabilities. I also house-sit and pet sit full time, which brings a couple hundred dollars per month. Perks of house-sitting are the use of a vehicle, paid gas, and finishing whatever is in the fridge.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2015, 02:34:09 PM »
I'm curious if any of you guys with side gigs have kids living at home. 

I think I'd kill my H if he went out and got a 2nd job.

anon-e-mouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2015, 04:03:04 PM »
My wife and I both have side gigs.
I help an IT consulting company and she churns stuff on craigslist.
We have 3 kids at home and it works out really well.

I restrict my side work to 10 hours a week and she averages about 4 hours a week.
Being a full time mom is hard enough.

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2015, 04:08:29 PM »
Playing poker, income varies.
Doing surveys online $25-$50/month in my downtime, participating in market research $100 every 2nd month on average, product trials, get free skincare, tea etc every couple of months (In Australia Google 'soup').
Poker money goes back into poker but a large amount goes towards savings, the rest goes to savings. Have to be disciplined about this and not spend the extra cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2015, 04:29:06 PM »
Nice!  I'm holding down a full-time job and self-publishing on the side, making about $2,000/month.

Yes, that's right.  Granted, it took me some time to build up a catalog.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2015, 04:57:40 PM »
2) renting my car out on RelayRides (I ride my motorcycle when the car is rented out)

How much do you get per day for this, and what kind of car?

aceyou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Life is Good - Aceyou's Journal
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2015, 06:57:48 PM »
Primary Job- Math Teacher: $55,000

Annual Side Job #1 - varsity coach for mens/womens varsity teams $9800

2014 summer job - $8000 filed for an LLC and formed a tennis academy (8 kids paid me $1750 each to train them 30 hours/week all summer)  This was the funnest side gig I've ever done. 

2015 side job - Fantasy Sports online (basketball, and soon baseball) - $30,000 so far, I gave myself $1500 to start with. 

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2015, 07:19:10 PM »

And you are correct, I enjoy doing the "mindless" tasks on Mturk.  Not sure I would want to do more "lawyering" on my "off" time.

You may be interested in Leapforce or Lionbridge.  It is a bit less mindless than Mturk, but you get paid $13.50 an hour to start.  It is entirely online, you rate websites for the search engines.

Blonde Lawyer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2015, 09:03:48 PM »

You may be interested in Leapforce or Lionbridge.  It is a bit less mindless than Mturk, but you get paid $13.50 an hour to start.  It is entirely online, you rate websites for the search engines.

Nice! Thanks for the tip.  I will check it out.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2015, 09:26:35 PM »
Loving this thread.  My wife went back to work, so that is an unexpected (and unnecessary) 25k/yr.  I have a blog, but that is just in hopes to meet up with like-minded people.  It is 'monetized', but I have realized how much time, effort, and compromise is now required and, well, I like my day-job proposition better :)  However, I do like the practice of writing.  I hope to publish or e-publish at some point.  If I had a bucket list, that would be at the top. 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 12:59:04 PM by EscapeVelocity2020 »

Bergal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2015, 05:54:16 AM »
Full time producer, work a few days here and there for another client for an extra $11,000 - $15,000 a year. 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 06:01:50 AM by Bergal »

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2015, 07:21:21 AM »
I'm curious if any of you guys with side gigs have kids living at home. 

I think I'd kill my H if he went out and got a 2nd job.
We have a three year old.  My wife works full time and writes and illustrates kids' books on the side.  She also just started a business making cards, baby cloths and some other textiles.  She does it in the evenings at home.  I do little projects in the same space, so we spend the time together.  If it weren't together/relaxing, I don't think she'd do it.

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2015, 07:49:46 AM »
Right now - Ebay, but I would love to get into something else too.

user43423

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Deep Value
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2015, 08:15:34 AM »
I rent out a spare room in my apartment on Airbnb which covers all my rent and then some, and I also started a blog (link in my signature) that has seen increased traffic every week since I started it!

Apostrophe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2015, 09:07:33 AM »

How much do you get per day for this, and what kind of car?

I have a 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid. I set it at $30/day, $150/week, or $450/month. It is often gone for a few weeks or a month at a time, which is far easier logistically. I have averaged about $350 per month from it, including non rented times, and the rental income has completely paid for the car at this point, and now the income goes into the next car fund. I expect it to pay for the next car in full.

Secretly Saving

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2015, 09:19:54 AM »
Our Side Gigs
- Sales (Ebay/Craigslist)
- Car Repair
- Substitute Teaching
- Rental Properties

Debating on adding/bumping up:
- AirBnB
- Another rental
- Other???

ThatGuy701

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2015, 09:27:25 AM »
Posting to follow.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2015, 12:17:18 PM »
How does 'Playing poker' work as a side gig?    Is this online poker?   And can you reliably make money?

aceyou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Life is Good - Aceyou's Journal
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2015, 02:54:45 PM »
How does 'Playing poker' work as a side gig?    Is this online poker?   And can you reliably make money?

It doesn't work as well nowadays.  The boom is basically over.  Lot's of pros.  If you are already a pro, you can still make a decent living, just not near as good as you used to, plus the variance is sky high compared to 7 or 8 years ago. 

If you are new and looking to get into it, it's killer, because you have to learn by going against tons of pros.  Even the fish are a lot better than the fish used to be. 

I used to make $50/hour doing it when the games were fishy, so I was a VERY borderline pro.  I could not beat the game as it currently is online...too hard for me.  My friends are much better, so they can still be the game reliably, but again, with far greater variance. 

Pretty much anyone capable of winning by gambling online are going into Daily Fantasy Sports right now.  I don't think the DFS bubble will last long though, because it seems easier to figure out than poker, plus people can sell/share rosters, which could flood the games with solid lineups quickly.  We'll see though.   

zinethstache

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 1/27/2017
    • My FIRE Hobby and travel blog
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2015, 03:05:24 PM »
I am currently on a forced side gig sabbatical as I recover from spinal fusion surgery.

I've worked 80 hour weeks for YEARS and YEARs, that is likely one reason for my major back blowout. SO... now that I am forced to throttle back I LIKE IT:)

I have promised to come back to my side gigs in June, but am seriously thinking of staying "closed" until a year has gone by. DH feels I need to take a longer break (June would be 6 months) But I fear losing my customer base and for sure have lost my SEO rankings on my web stores.

I am considering a revamp of my business plans (I run 2 businesses, and create/sell a variety of products) I may only sell what I've made and stop selling custom products as those take all my free time up. Historically I will have a 3 to 4 month backlog and I'd like to not have that going forward into FI.

I am also helping DH write his first novel, I am enjoying that so much, I don't want my own side gig work to impede progress of that.

Financially speaking, I make way more at my day job now (recent promotion)  and I never have included side gig $$$ in any of my FI plans. I DO intend to use side gig income to help with any discretionary spending outside of the budget. I don't want it to impede our travel plans.

Retired To Win

• Handlebar Stache
  • making the most of my time and my money
    • Retired To Win
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2015, 08:36:52 PM »

Well, I think I've got at least one e-book in me.  So I have outlined it and will be giving it a go.

shedinator

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2015, 11:03:39 PM »

rapid fire question time!
-Genre?
-How extensive is your catalog at this point?
-How many new books/year?
-At what point catalog-wise did you start seeing a decent return?

Writing/self-pub is what I would like my side-gig to be as well, but at my current ROI it's currently in the hobby realm. I make more money in a month redeeming grocery store rebates through Ibotta than I do on book sales. Just 2 books in, though. I have to assume there's a tipping point out there somewhere

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2015, 08:03:03 AM »

rapid fire question time!
-Genre?
-How extensive is your catalog at this point?
-How many new books/year?
-At what point catalog-wise did you start seeing a decent return?

Writing/self-pub is what I would like my side-gig to be as well, but at my current ROI it's currently in the hobby realm. I make more money in a month redeeming grocery store rebates through Ibotta than I do on book sales. Just 2 books in, though. I have to assume there's a tipping point out there somewhere

Mostly short form erotica (5,000-15,000 words), with a few romance novels and novellas, all under various pen names.

This is obviously not great literature... But it sells, and it's relatively easy to write. 

Right now I have 79 titles total.  Erotica has a short tail, but building up a catalog gives you enough volume to get a decent return.  I was making in the low hundreds per month with 12-20 titles.

lovesasa

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2015, 05:58:24 PM »
Not doing it right now, but I plan on going back to Soccer Refereeing when I get back to the US. Weekends only, optional summer tournaments. I did this in middle school and high school and even then I was earning $300 a normal weekend. Now I could probably get certified for a higher level and do more tournaments, which are usually 3 days and pay a lot. Plus it's FUN! And I'd basically be paid to exercise.

I've also tutored English and Violin on the side.

This is a great thread, I've been thinking about these things recently.

grsing

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2015, 06:17:34 PM »
It's not necessarily the smallest commitment, but Navy Reserves is essentially my side gig. About $550/month plus good health coverage (not free, but cheap for what it is) and possibility of a retirement, and some good networking.

minority_finance_mo

• Pencil Stache
    • Minority Finance
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2015, 06:34:58 PM »
Wow! So many people killing it on their side jobs here!

I tutor on the side, and pull in about $600-700/month. I have to step up my game it seems!!

retireatbirth

• Bristles
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2015, 07:24:18 PM »
I do $2-$3k a month with affiliate marketing. It's basically passive income right now, but could evaporate into nothing at any point.

minority_finance_mo

• Pencil Stache
    • Minority Finance
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2015, 07:29:05 PM »
I do $2-$3k a month with affiliate marketing. It's basically passive income right now, but could evaporate into nothing at any point.

What types of products, if you don't mind me asking?

thor800

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2015, 05:55:39 PM »
Had no idea this thread would get so much attention ! Awesome to hear all the different ways people are speeding up their FI.

I currently have a rental property that isn't making additional $ now but hopefully will improve with increasing rents.

ultimate goal besides what I mentioned earlier is to make enough to pay essential costs and save day job $.

KatieSSS

• Bristles
  • "Because of your badassity, babe!" - My GoudaMan
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2015, 01:24:45 PM »
Waitressing once a week, which brings in around $300/month extra. Also trying my hand at selling homemade items on Etsy. I'm doing the latter in hopes of making some passive income doing something I would do anyway. So far, I've made one sale. But I just started, and you have to start somewhere, amiright?

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2015, 08:37:12 PM »
Primary Job- Math Teacher: $55,000

Annual Side Job #1 - varsity coach for mens/womens varsity teams $9800

2014 summer job - $8000 filed for an LLC and formed a tennis academy (8 kids paid me $1750 each to train them 30 hours/week all summer)  This was the funnest side gig I've ever done. 

2015 side job - Fantasy Sports online (basketball, and soon baseball) - $30,000 so far, I gave myself $1500 to start with.

I gotta brush up on my fantasy sports

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2015, 09:28:54 PM »
I do credit card rewards, freelance web development, and I started a retail foods business under the Colorado cottage foods act last year. Out of the 3, web development is the most lucrative so far.

I've always dabbled in blogging and writing, but never found anything that actually brings in revenue. I'd love to come up with a short book topic, and have the organization and stamina to publish an ebook on amazon, but so far I haven't brainstormed a topic.