Author Topic: How long can we wait while flattening the curve?  (Read 677183 times)

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
Re: How long can we wait while flattening the curve?
« Reply #5750 on: March 23, 2021, 04:30:08 AM »
I think at some stage with the availability of the vaccine being what it is we need to say 'ok, we are re-opening. If you are high risk you have 28 days to either get yourself vaccinated or just avoid people from now on (in simplified terms)' - that is, we need to start moving from a community model of risk to an individual model of risk - the same way we treat the flu.
Didn't you propose the same thing a year ago but without vaccines?

It is a pretty bold statement when Australia has not even 1% of the population vaccinated, and the vast majority of us cannot get a vaccine.

Bloop Bloop Reloaded

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5751 on: March 23, 2021, 04:49:38 AM »
It's not a bold statement in the Australian context at all. We're opening sports crowds to 75% capacity and almost all businesses are fully back open. Some of our states (NSW) have dealt well with community transmission (without lockdown) since mid-year last year - that is, there have been low levels of community transmission but they have been contact traced and only the affected individuals have been locked down, not the community at large. Our government is electing to hold off on vaccines to prioritise other countries that need it more - but we don't need that many vaccines because there's no community transmission and the risk of the disease here in Australia is extremely low. If you're high risk (doctor, nurse, elderly) you have the opportunity to get a vaccine. If you're not high risk you don't need a vaccine.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5752 on: March 23, 2021, 08:02:03 AM »
I think at some stage with the availability of the vaccine being what it is we need to say 'ok, we are re-opening. If you are high risk you have 28 days to either get yourself vaccinated or just avoid people from now on (in simplified terms)' - that is, we need to start moving from a community model of risk to an individual model of risk - the same way we treat the flu.

Just to pick at one possible issue . . . currently, no vaccine is approved for use by children.  What's your plan for them?

Hospitalization rates in the US are low for kids, but have been rising recently (https://www.uptodate.com/contents/covid-19-clinical-manifestations-and-diagnosis-in-children).  We don't currently know the long term implications of childhood infection by covid, but we do know that many children experience long term symptoms more than six months after they've overcome the disease (https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/03/18/virus-longhaul-coronavirus-children/).

This also poses a serious problem for kids and families of kids who are high risk as they certainly can't go to school or any sort of daycare and will pretty much require that a parent stop working to look after them full time.  You might think that there aren't many high risk kids to worry about . . . but this isn't true at all.  Obesity is considered a high risk factor with covid . . . and just under 1 in 5 children in the US are obese.  Not counting all the other things that can make kids high risk . . . this seems like a potentially large percentage of the population who will have trouble safely going back to work.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5753 on: March 23, 2021, 08:24:54 AM »
I think the consensus is that kids are safe, or at least safer than they are from lots of other stuff we don't try very hard to protect them from.

-W

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5754 on: March 23, 2021, 08:43:53 AM »
There is certainly a lot of data that indicates few children die from covid.  We don't know the long term effects of covid, or how many years those who end up as long haulers will suffer though.

There is certainly no consensus about safety of children and covid.  This statement is simply not supported by the data available.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5755 on: March 23, 2021, 09:07:58 AM »
Well, so far, it looks something like an order of magnitude less dangerous than influenza (which to be fair is pretty dangerous!) if you're a kid, but you can worry as much as you want, I guess. Everything in life comes with unknowns.

If you're willing to trade *anything* for any amount of increased safety, no matter how tiny, then I suppose you're welcome to cocoon your kids as long as you want.  Pediatricians disagree with you, but you can do what you want.

-W

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5756 on: March 23, 2021, 09:16:42 AM »
Well, so far, it looks something like an order of magnitude less dangerous than influenza (which to be fair is pretty dangerous!) if you're a kid, but you can worry as much as you want, I guess. Everything in life comes with unknowns.

Please provide the studies you're referencing that show the long term impacts of covid on children, and that indicate these are an order of magnitude less dangerous than the flu.

If you can't produce any, I'm going to ask you (politely) to stop lying with your comments on this topic.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5757 on: March 23, 2021, 09:26:35 AM »
https://services.aap.org/en/pages/2019-novel-coronavirus-covid-19-infections/clinical-guidance/covid-19-planning-considerations-return-to-in-person-education-in-schools/

You're arguing with the AAP, not me. There are consequences to sequestering children forever just like there are consequences from Covid.

-W

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5758 on: March 23, 2021, 09:58:46 AM »
https://services.aap.org/en/pages/2019-novel-coronavirus-covid-19-infections/clinical-guidance/covid-19-planning-considerations-return-to-in-person-education-in-schools/

You're arguing with the AAP, not me. There are consequences to sequestering children forever just like there are consequences from Covid.

-W

I'm not arguing with the AAP at all, and am not advocating that children are sequestered forever (that's a straw man).

The AAP don't indicate at any point in that article that covid is an order of magnitude less dangerous to children than the flu, and don't address the long term impacts of the disease in any way.  It's these two claims (that you appear to have made up) that I have serious disagreement with and skepticism of.

Since you've been unable to support them, would you stop repeating these falsehoods?

Paper Chaser

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5759 on: March 23, 2021, 10:18:44 AM »
I think it's worth pointing out that as a society we mostly accepted restrictions in order to prevent severe illness and death from this virus (and an overwhelmed medical system). We did not do it just to keep people from getting the virus. The vaccines work really, really well at preventing severe illness and death, and it's pretty well understood which demographics are more likely to suffer the most negative  outcomes. By prioritizing those most at risk for the worst outcomes, and giving them the ability to protect themselves with the vaccine, we've nearly eliminated the likelihood of those most negative outcomes. That removes the core reason why we undertook those restrictions in the first place.

As individuals, any one is free to take their own safety into their own hands just as they have always been. I'd even argue that it's easier now to justify staying home, or wearing a mask in order to avoid a contagion than any point in history. But as the risk of negative outcomes continues to decrease, and cases/hospitalizations/deaths/positivity remain low I think it's ok to return to a more normal way of life over the next couple of months. That may be before a given location achieves "herd immunity" with the 70% of the populace being vaccinated. Anybody is free to continue to be more cautious than society in general but that's always been the case.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5760 on: March 23, 2021, 11:44:43 AM »
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1191568/reported-deaths-from-covid-by-age-us/

So similar deaths to a normal/bad flu season in the US, approximately (I thought the flu was quite a bit more dangerous to children). But I'd assume a LOT more kids were exposed. It's not possible to say for sure, of course, since influenza infection numbers are estimates and we don't have good Covid19 numbers either, but the big thing about Covid is how freaking contagious it is - so I bet a lot of kids have had it and never known.

https://www.advisory.com/en/daily-briefing/2018/12/21/child-death

Covid does not even make the top 10 for childhood causes of death. And deaths of children are (in the US) very rare to begin with. You'd be better off forcing all public and private swimming pools to close if you wanted to save kids.

Please bear in mind that I'm ok with a significant amount of sacrifice to save lives. But the sacrifice of keeping children from their educations/normal lives is a HUGE sacrifice, for what would be a minimal gain. It also exacerbates racial and socioeconomic inequality.

-W

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5761 on: March 23, 2021, 12:31:25 PM »
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1191568/reported-deaths-from-covid-by-age-us/

So similar deaths to a normal/bad flu season in the US, approximately (I thought the flu was quite a bit more dangerous to children). But I'd assume a LOT more kids were exposed. It's not possible to say for sure, of course, since influenza infection numbers are estimates and we don't have good Covid19 numbers either, but the big thing about Covid is how freaking contagious it is - so I bet a lot of kids have had it and never known.

Covid does not even make the top 10 for childhood causes of death. And deaths of children are (in the US) very rare to begin with. You'd be better off forcing all public and private swimming pools to close if you wanted to save kids.

Please bear in mind that I'm ok with a significant amount of sacrifice to save lives. But the sacrifice of keeping children from their educations/normal lives is a HUGE sacrifice, for what would be a minimal gain. It also exacerbates racial and socioeconomic inequality.

-W

Walt, you're comparing deaths from Covid to the flu.  I agree, as far as killing kids Covid hasn't shown itself all that dangerous.  But if your kid had both legs and arms amputated by a good surgeon he wouldn't die either.  Does that mean there's no problem doing that?  Of course there is!  So maybe we need to look at quality of life post-disease, not just bodies.  There are a large number of people (including children) who are showing long term symptoms due to covid exposure.  Without dying.  We don't currently know what the implications of this will be, and can't honestly compare anything to the flu until we do.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5762 on: March 23, 2021, 12:43:47 PM »
I thought the main concern with kids was not so much them dying, but them acting as vectors to infect everyone else, who then die.  Pre covid when my son was in pre-preschool I had some type of cold every 2-3 weeks.  It was absolutely insane how frequently we were getting sick.  It was also frustrating paying for 100% of the school and having him miss 30% of the days because he was sick and they wouldn't allow attendance with a fever or cough. 

I am looking forward to him attending preschool again this fall just to get him out of the house and away from his mom for a few hours, and also for all the learning and socialization he will do, but I am not looking forward to the constant germ fest he's going to be sneezing into my face. 

Paper Chaser

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5763 on: March 23, 2021, 01:45:29 PM »

-W

Walt, you're comparing deaths from Covid to the flu.  I agree, as far as killing kids Covid hasn't shown itself all that dangerous.  But if your kid had both legs and arms amputated by a good surgeon he wouldn't die either.  Does that mean there's no problem doing that?  Of course there is!  So maybe we need to look at quality of life post-disease, not just bodies.  There are a large number of people (including children) who are showing long term symptoms due to covid exposure.  Without dying.  We don't currently know what the implications of this will be, and can't honestly compare anything to the flu until we do.

If you're going to expect Walt to back up his claims about "orders of magnitude" with data, I think it's only fair for you to quantify what "a large number of people" means RE: prevalence of long haul COVID by age. Otherwise you're just spouting off the cuff too.

More generally, what's the plan in your household moving forward? I don't see a ton of difference between concerns about long term health impacts among children from COVID infection and concerns about long term health impacts among children from the vaccine. Both involve unknowns. Neither one is going to have answers for a very long time. Are you waiting for some specific event, a certain milestone, or a set amount of time before you feel safe again?

windytrail

• Stubble
« Reply #5764 on: March 23, 2021, 01:51:05 PM »

-W

Guitarstv, you have been repeatedly citing the uncertainty of everything, but what's your point? Are you suggesting that we wait to open schools or impose new lockdowns? If you wish to avoid someone creating a strawman argument, then please make your own best argument.

I think Walt and others are saying that it's appropriate now to open schools and reopen society, gradually. Now that the most vulnerable people are vaccinated, we are no longer in danger of our hospitals becoming overwhelmed, which was one of the main justifications of the lockdowns. Do you disagree?

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #5765 on: March 23, 2021, 01:53:33 PM »
It's not a bold statement in the Australian context at all. We're opening sports crowds to 75% capacity and almost all businesses are fully back open. Some of our states (NSW) have dealt well with community transmission (without lockdown) since mid-year last year - that is, there have been low levels of community transmission but they have been contact traced and only the affected individuals have been locked down, not the community at large. Our government is electing to hold off on vaccines to prioritise other countries that need it more - but we don't need that many vaccines because there's no community transmission and the risk of the disease here in Australia is extremely low. If you're high risk (doctor, nurse, elderly) you have the opportunity to get a vaccine. If you're not high risk you don't need a vaccine.

But most of this is untrue.

NSW did go into lockdowns.  There were extra restrictions when the northern beaches outbreak happened, and some districts were not allowed out of their neighbourhood.  NSW has done better than Victoria did mid last year, but again since then, all outbreaks in Australia have been traced and contained.

And our government is not prioritising other countries.  We have sent 8000 shots to PNG, which is enough to do their most at risk medical staff, but we are vaccinating anyone over 70.  So we are prioritising our own.  The leaky border to our north is why vaccinating in PNG is happening at all.

The risk of disease here is extremely low, and that is why we can open up.  But international travel of any kind still brings risks, and until we are nearly all vaccinated, those risks still exist.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5766 on: March 23, 2021, 02:33:49 PM »

-W

If you're going to expect Walt to back up his claims about "orders of magnitude" with data, I think it's only fair for you to quantify what "a large number of people" means RE: prevalence of long haul COVID by age. Otherwise you're just spouting off the cuff too.

Sure, no problem.

Overall, approximately 10% of people who’ve had COVID-19 experience prolonged symptoms, a UK team estimated in a recently published Practice Pointer on postacute COVID-19 management.

Most of the patients that I see who are suffering from [post–COVID-19] syndrome were not hospitalized,” Jessica Dine, MD, a pulmonary specialist at the University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine, said in an interview.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2771111.

This study directly opposes Walt's earlier claim that Covid is like the flu but an order of magnitude less important:
Not returning to usual health within 2–3 weeks of testing was reported by approximately one third of respondents. Even among young adults aged 18–34 years with no chronic medical conditions, nearly one in five reported that they had not returned to their usual state of health 14–21 days after testing. In contrast, over 90% of outpatients with influenza recover within approximately 2 weeks of having a positive test result
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6930e1.htm?s_cid=mm6930e1_w

Patients with Long COVID report prolonged multisystem involvement and significant disability. Most had not returned to previous levels of work by 6 months. Many patients are not recovered by 7 months, and continue to experience significant symptom burden.
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.12.24.20248802v2

More generally, what's the plan in your household moving forward? I don't see a ton of difference between concerns about long term health impacts among children from COVID infection and concerns about long term health impacts among children from the vaccine. Both involve unknowns. Neither one is going to have answers for a very long time.  Are you waiting for some specific event, a certain milestone, or a set amount of time before you feel safe again?

I don't feel unsafe right now.  My son is currently attending school in person.  All children in our province are wearing masks, and following distancing/handwashing protocols in classrooms.  The experts in our province are saying that these measures are working to limit transmission.  My plan going forwards is to continue to follow distancing/masking/hand washing protocols until these experts tell me that the levels of herd immunity provide protection from covid.

If what Walt was saying were true then there would be no reason for children to make any effort to reduce spread of Covid - but that just isn't supported by the available data.  Schools should re-open - absolutely, there are many reasons this should happen.  But they shouldn't re-open the way that they were operating pre-pandemic.  There's some hope that vaccination will provide herd immunity benefits this year, that's when we should be able to get back to a better semblance of normality.

-W

Guitarstv, you have been repeatedly citing the uncertainty of everything, but what's your point? Are you suggesting that we wait to open schools or impose new lockdowns? If you wish to avoid someone creating a strawman argument, then please make your own best argument.

I think Walt and others are saying that it's appropriate now to open schools and reopen society, gradually. Now that the most vulnerable people are vaccinated, we are no longer in danger of our hospitals becoming overwhelmed, which was one of the main justifications of the lockdowns. Do you disagree?

I don't want lockdowns or kids out of school any more than anyone else.  My point is simply to provide accurate information rather than wishful thinking.

In point of fact, you've actually repeated some misinformation in the post above.  The most vulnerable people are not vaccinated right now.  Many (including all vulnerable children) cannot take vaccines.  This isn't an insurmountable problem, but will create complications as we re-open.  Pretending that these complications don't exist isn't a good way to make them go away - it will exacerbate them.  Recognizing the problems and then working to find solutions is probably a better way to go.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 02:44:58 PM by GuitarStv »

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5767 on: March 23, 2021, 03:56:01 PM »
GuitarStv, what do you propose opening vs. not?

We could go the Texas route and cut loose (so far so good, though it's only been a week), or we could keep kids out of school, keep most businesses closed, etc (ie, California). Or some middle ground?

I mean, from my perspective, it makes very little sense to do much more than ask people to wash their hands and keep up with basic hygiene at this point. My area is at something around 50% of the whole population vaccinated, and that includes 100% of elderly/at risk people who were willing to take the vaccine. At this point the risk is extremely low unless you refused vaccination, and in that case, I don't care if you get sick. Other places are at different points but once your vulnerable population is vaccinated... what's the point of restricting things?

Is there some unknown risk from long covid and/or vaccine zombification? Sure. Life comes with risks like that. I guess there's room to disagree about how much known harm right now (ie kids missing a year of school) is worth trading for future unknowns. But it's a tradeoff, not a free lunch where we can just hunker down forever and ignore problems.

-W

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5768 on: March 23, 2021, 04:40:31 PM »

As I think has been mentioned, I'm equally opposed to fully opening everything as I am opposed to locking down things.

I don't understand why people in this thread are being so binary about the choices available.  You don't need to adhere to absolutes - that's the path of the Sith.  You can open things as they make sense to open on the recommendation of epidemiologists, and follow masking and distancing protocols until the experts say they're not necessary any longer.  To me, that seems like the most sensible way to go forward.

That approach depends on an honest discussion though.  Not wishful thinking and damn the torpedoes.

My area is at something around 50% of the whole population vaccinated, and that includes 100% of elderly/at risk people who were willing to take the vaccine.

Walt, there are some weird things about what you're claiming.

About 25% of the US population is made up of children, who aren't able to be vaccinated.  That means that you're claiming that about 70-80% of all people who could have the vaccine have already been vaccinated where you live?
 This makes me suspect that you're ignoring at least a quarter of the population.

As far as 100% of elderly/at risk people that also seems a little odd . . . given that the data seems to indicate that somewhere around 1 in 4 Americans have said that they'll refuse the vaccine, I'd expect that at least some of that at risk population would not have gone through with it.

Where are you getting the stats that 100% of all at risk people in the area you live have been vaccinated?  Can you post a link please?

I mean, from my perspective, it makes very little sense to do much more than ask people to wash their hands and keep up with basic hygiene at this point.

At this point the risk is extremely low unless you refused vaccination, and in that case, I don't care if you get sick. Other places are at different points but once your vulnerable population is vaccinated... what's the point of restricting things?

You appear to have ignored the many links I've already brought forth about low risk, healthy people who end up with long term problems after getting over covid.  I'd suggest that you read some of them, and you'll find a pretty good point for keeping some restrictions and attempting to limit transmission of the disease for a little longer until herd immunity is reached.

Is there some unknown risk from long covid and/or vaccine zombification? Sure. Life comes with risks like that. I guess there's room to disagree about how much known harm right now (ie kids missing a year of school) is worth trading for future unknowns. But it's a tradeoff, not a free lunch where we can just hunker down forever and ignore problems.

I guess it's a good thing that nobody wants to 'hunker down forever and ignore problems' then.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5769 on: March 23, 2021, 04:42:01 PM »

We could go the Texas route and cut loose (so far so good, though it's only been a week), or we could keep kids out of school, keep most businesses closed, etc (ie, California). Or some middle ground?

I mean, from my perspective, it makes very little sense to do much more than ask people to wash their hands and keep up with basic hygiene at this point. My area is at something around 50% of the whole population vaccinated, and that includes 100% of elderly/at risk people who were willing to take the vaccine. At this point the risk is extremely low unless you refused vaccination, and in that case, I don't care if you get sick. Other places are at different points but once your vulnerable population is vaccinated... what's the point of restricting things?

-W
"Vaccine zombification"?  What the fuck?

Bloop Bloop Reloaded

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5770 on: March 23, 2021, 05:28:07 PM »

NSW did go into lockdowns.  There were extra restrictions when the northern beaches outbreak happened, and some districts were not allowed out of their neighbourhood.  NSW has done better than Victoria did mid last year, but again since then, all outbreaks in Australia have been traced and contained.

And our government is not prioritising other countries.  We have sent 8000 shots to PNG, which is enough to do their most at risk medical staff, but we are vaccinating anyone over 70.  So we are prioritising our own.  The leaky border to our north is why vaccinating in PNG is happening at all.

The risk of disease here is extremely low, and that is why we can open up.  But international travel of any kind still brings risks, and until we are nearly all vaccinated, those risks still exist.

No, it's not untrue. NSW went into localised lockdowns which lasted only a few days. It never went into state wide lockdown, or even city-wide lockdown. That's the best way to do it: control risk on the basis of locality and demographics.

And we are prioritising other countries. By definition sending 8000 shots to PNG is prioritising other countries. We also haven't cavilled about manufacturers prioritising harder-hit European/US countries.

As for children, the health advice here is that children are not particularly vulnerable to the disease.

No one under 30 in Australia has died from Covid.

Only 15 people (11 males, 4 females) 59 and under have died in Australia from Covid.

https://www.abs.gov.au/articles/covid-19-mortality-0

Of course it may be well accepted that you can have long term sequelae without dying. There is no data I can find on that. But the same applies to many illnesses - including the flu. I am not aware of any Australian study on long-term sequelae in, say, healthy people under 35. That's what I'd be interested in.

The risk model I prefer is one where for the most part each individual needs to insure against his or her own risk.

Similar to driving on the roads. Your insurance premium (how much of a cost you have to pay) depends on your age, driving history, demographics, car value, etc.

Right now with covid in Australia we have a reasonable model, but back in the dark days of VIC lockdown we were basically saying that even pedestrians and bicyclists have to pay a full car insurance premium; and moreover, all drivers had to pay the same premium, whether they were low or high risk drivers.

The NSW model (where lockdown stages were tailored based on temporal and local features) was much better than the early VIC model (where lockdown was broad-brush and where, while strangely some people construction workers and abattoir workers were exempt, the rest of the population was subject to very onerous conditions without any regard for demographic or geographical factors).

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5771 on: March 23, 2021, 05:33:04 PM »
I just looked at our county health dept dashboard and we're at 52% of the entire population. No mistake, no joke.

You can check it out here: https://summitcountyhealth.org/vaccine/

I don't know where to find the numbers, but our local radio station runs regular interviews with the health director and he's been clear that all >65 and at-risk/frontline people (including healthcare workers, teachers, grocery store workers, immunocompromised, etc) who want vaccinations have received them. That's been the case for at least a month if not longer.

I don't see any reason to worry about the kids, they've been in school since August (and mauling each other maskless on the playground to boot). If they're going to all get long covid, it's already baked in.

So for us: wash your hands and try not to sneeze in each other's faces. Otherwise... what would you propose we do?

-W

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5772 on: March 23, 2021, 05:36:58 PM »
"Vaccine zombification"?  What the fuck?

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. I don't expect any weird long term problems from any of the vaccines and I myself was vaccinated 3 weeks ago.

My point was that if we're going to worry about unlikely hypotheticals we don't have any evidence to support (ie, kids seem fine now but they'll all get cancer from covid exposure in 20 years or whatever) then we might as well just throw up our hands and give up. Life is full of risks like that and we ignore them all the time.

-W

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #5773 on: March 23, 2021, 05:41:43 PM »
My area is at something around 50% of the whole population vaccinated, and that includes 100% of elderly/at risk people who were willing to take the vaccine. At this point the risk is extremely low unless you refused vaccination, and in that case, I don't care if you get sick. Other places are at different points but once your vulnerable population is vaccinated... what's the point of restricting things?

I know you acknowledge that areas may differ but your area is amazingly significantly ahead of anywhere I have heard of.

For example Colorado where I live we have about 15% of the population fully vaccinated.

880k of 5.8M

Some frontline workers have just been given the green light 4 days ago as well as people 50+ and those with underlying health conditions that put them at risk of severe outcomes.

Obviously such discrepancies will cause a disconnect in opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bloop Bloop Reloaded

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5774 on: March 23, 2021, 05:43:14 PM »
I don't know where to find the numbers, but our local radio station runs regular interviews with the health director and he's been clear that all >65 and at-risk/frontline people (including healthcare workers, teachers, grocery store workers, immunocompromised, etc) who want vaccinations have received them. That's been the case for at least a month if not longer.

I don't see any reason to worry about the kids, they've been in school since August (and mauling each other maskless on the playground to boot). If they're going to all get long covid, it's already baked in.

So for us: wash your hands and try not to sneeze in each other's faces. Otherwise... what would you propose we do?

At those figures you are approaching herd immunity and more to the point the vulnerable in the population have had the chance to get vaccinated. I don't see the harm in opening up fully from that point onwards. Yes there is some remaining risk - there is always risk - but if it is not appreciably higher than the normal risk from seasonal flu then I don't see the point in any particular restrictions - given that we have never bothered to impose any restrictions on seasonal flu, even for those who are quite vulnerable to it - they are expected to wear masks or vaccinate themselves but the general population is not expected to go out of their way to accommodate them.

As for some percentage (whether 25% or 40% or whatever figure comes from the survey) of elderly and vulnerable residents choosing to reject a vaccine against health advice - that is absolutely their prerogative and they can wear the risk. If they then contract the disease it's now their problem and not society's.

Now of course the proportion of unvaccinated people will hinder an attempt at herd immunity but if we have vaccinated all the vulnerable people who want to get the vaccine then herd immunity doesn't even matter. I.e. if major vectors (front line workers) and those likely to die (the elderly) have been vaccinated then we don't even need to aim for herd immunity.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5775 on: March 23, 2021, 06:09:35 PM »
Yes, clearly vaccine rollout has gone differently in different places.

But, I mean, where I live - this is what the endgame looks like. In another couple of weeks everyone who wants to be vaccinated, will be. It'll take a few more months for people to get comfortable interacting normally again, I'm guessing, but this summer should be "normal".

-W

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5776 on: March 23, 2021, 06:10:41 PM »
My area is at something around 50% of the whole population vaccinated, and that includes 100% of elderly/at risk people who were willing to take the vaccine. At this point the risk is extremely low unless you refused vaccination, and in that case, I don't care if you get sick. Other places are at different points but once your vulnerable population is vaccinated... what's the point of restricting things?

I know you acknowledge that areas may differ but your area is amazingly significantly ahead of anywhere I have heard of.

For example Colorado where I live we have about 15% of the population fully vaccinated.

880k of 5.8M

Some frontline workers have just been given the green light 4 days ago as well as people 50+ and those with underlying health conditions that put them at risk of severe outcomes.

Yeah, majority vaccinated is not representative of the country as a whole.

laserlady

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5777 on: March 23, 2021, 06:23:03 PM »

880k of 5.8M

Waltworks apparently lives in Summit County, Utah, which only has about 38,000 people, most of whom are very rich and/or work at the ski resorts. Also, it's rather misleading to say that 50% of that population has been vaccinated. The county website shows that about 50% of Summit County residents have received at least one vaccine dose, but it's a much smaller percent who are fully vaccinated, which should be the pertinent metric for determining safety.

Walworks' focus only on vaccination levels in Summit County also ignores the fact that there's a whole lot of commuting and other travel between Summit County and Salt Lake County, which is right next door, and cavalier attitudes towards safety by Summit County residents can and do affect Salt Lake County residents, most of whom have not had the opportunity to get vaccinated yet. (Vaccination is now opened up for all Utah residents aged 16 and above, but most people I know have their first appointment scheduled a few weeks out and won't be fully vaccinated until mid May.)

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5778 on: March 23, 2021, 06:30:05 PM »
Prentiss County, MS (just as an example I found while insomnia scrolling various state health vaccine dashboards) currently enjoys a 2% vaccination rate

Just for a grain of salt, ww

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5779 on: March 23, 2021, 08:25:55 PM »
1 dose is LOTS of protection (witness Great Britain) and the website is typically at least a week behind. But sure, hate on success all you want. We've vaccinated something like 10,000 people who aren't even county residents on top of the ones who live here, too.

Our kids are enjoying school and we're having dinner parties with vaccinated friends. Hopefully everyone elsewhere will be at that point soon.

-W

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #5780 on: March 23, 2021, 08:33:02 PM »

No, it's not untrue. NSW went into localised lockdowns which lasted only a few days. It never went into state wide lockdown, or even city-wide lockdown. That's the best way to do it: control risk on the basis of locality and demographics.

Except it was for 3 weeks.  Not a few days

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-10/northern-beaches-reopen-after-three-week-covid-lockdown/13045954

And we are prioritising other countries. By definition sending 8000 shots to PNG is prioritising other countries. We also haven't cavilled about manufacturers prioritising harder-hit European/US countries.

Sending vaccine to PNG is about prioritising OUR vulnerable Torres Strait Islanders, who readily trade and mingle with people from PNG.  The border is very porous there, so protecting PNG protects us (unless you do not see Torres Strait Islanders as part of us).  However, 8000 doses is no where near enough to do much good.  It may help protect a few health care workers.

As for children, the health advice here is that children are not particularly vulnerable to the disease.

Those younger than puberty appear to be protected by their innate immune system, which shuts down with puberty.  It is an interesting effect.

No one under 30 in Australia has died from Covid.

Only 15 people (11 males, 4 females) 59 and under have died in Australia from Covid.

https://www.abs.gov.au/articles/covid-19-mortality-0

Yes, but the newer strains appear to be more deadly to the younger cohorts.  This is why we need to keep it out until we are all vaccinated

Of course it may be well accepted that you can have long term sequelae without dying. There is no data I can find on that. But the same applies to many illnesses - including the flu. I am not aware of any Australian study on long-term sequelae in, say, healthy people under 35. That's what I'd be interested in.

What is also fascinating is that those with long-covid tend to be less likely to get vaccinated, but the vaccine appears to be beneficial to help with long covid.  There are some studies about to drop on this.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2021-03-24/coronavirus-long-covid-could-the-vaccine-cure-it/100023114

The risk model I prefer is one where for the most part each individual needs to insure against his or her own risk.

Similar to driving on the roads. Your insurance premium (how much of a cost you have to pay) depends on your age, driving history, demographics, car value, etc.

Except that is not true.  We are also protected by our set of rules, that are actively policed.  My safety on the road is ensured not by your insurance but by your adherence to the road rules. 

The alternative to this, that you advocate for with covid, is that I am allowed to do whatever I want on the roads.  Drive drunk?  Sure, it is my issue.  Speed stupidly fast - go for it.  Intentionally drive others off the road?  Why not.

Right now with covid in Australia we have a reasonable model, but back in the dark days of VIC lockdown we were basically saying that even pedestrians and bicyclists have to pay a full car insurance premium; and moreover, all drivers had to pay the same premium, whether they were low or high risk drivers.

The NSW model (where lockdown stages were tailored based on temporal and local features) was much better than the early VIC model (where lockdown was broad-brush and where, while strangely some people construction workers and abattoir workers were exempt, the rest of the population was subject to very onerous conditions without any regard for demographic or geographical factors).

Except Victoria did make a distinction between regions and city.  Initially they tried the lockdown of certain suburbs, or have you forgotten how unsuccessful that was.  Only when it was getting out of hand did the full blown lock down get applied.  (Personally, I think they left it way too late).  And it worked.  There is not a single active case of covid in Victoria as I write this.

Bloop Bloop Reloaded

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5781 on: March 23, 2021, 08:48:46 PM »
Sending vaccine to PNG is about prioritising OUR vulnerable Torres Strait Islanders, who readily trade and mingle with people from PNG.  The border is very porous there, so protecting PNG protects us (unless you do not see Torres Strait Islanders as part of us).

Actually, PNG is not Australia, and the two countries are separated by a strait. It would be quite easy to simply enforce the same rules that apply for everyone else in Australia, i.e., no international travel. But the government doesn't want to be seen as shitting on disadvantaged Islanders so instead of actually enforcing a no-mingle zone they are just taking an optical stance. That said, it is clear that the 8000 doses are primarily for the benefit of PNG and less so for the benefit of Australians at large. While this is a fair action from a utilitarian point of view, it is not very effective from a sovereignty point of view.

Except that is not true.  We are also protected by our set of rules, that are actively policed.  My safety on the road is ensured not by your insurance but by your adherence to the road rules. 

The alternative to this, that you advocate for with covid, is that I am allowed to do whatever I want on the roads.  Drive drunk?  Sure, it is my issue.  Speed stupidly fast - go for it.  Intentionally drive others off the road?  Why not.

The road rules would be like rules around testing, wearing of masks in public, and getting vaccinated where possible. The lockdown is more akin to closing the roads altogether until everyone has full comprehensive insurance, even though people may not need that level of cover if they have an old car or they are a bicyclist.

Except Victoria did make a distinction between regions and city.  Initially they tried the lockdown of certain suburbs, or have you forgotten how unsuccessful that was.  Only when it was getting out of hand did the full blown lock down get applied.  (Personally, I think they left it way too late).  And it worked.  There is not a single active case of covid in Victoria as I write this.
This is specious reasoning. The initial suburb-based lockdown (which I supported) was in effect for only a week, in the midst of a second wave. It is impossible to know if it worked or didn't work. It was opposed by all and sundry on humanitarian grounds rather than efficacy grounds.

As for saying - "it worked. There is not a single active case of covid" - again this is incredibly stupid reasoning. South Australia and NSW didn't require stage 4 lockdowns in the face of outbreaks and they still have the same success as Victoria.

Tired of always taking the most conservative (safest) route when it comes to public safety. We don't do it with the flu, we don't do it with the road toll, we don't do it with AIDS/HIV (imagine if condom use during sex was mandatory!) - why start now?

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #5782 on: March 23, 2021, 09:46:42 PM »
Sending vaccine to PNG is about prioritising OUR vulnerable Torres Strait Islanders, who readily trade and mingle with people from PNG.  The border is very porous there, so protecting PNG protects us (unless you do not see Torres Strait Islanders as part of us).

Actually, PNG is not Australia, and the two countries are separated by a strait. It would be quite easy to simply enforce the same rules that apply for everyone else in Australia, i.e., no international travel. But the government doesn't want to be seen as shitting on disadvantaged Islanders so instead of actually enforcing a no-mingle zone they are just taking an optical stance. That said, it is clear that the 8000 doses are primarily for the benefit of PNG and less so for the benefit of Australians at large. While this is a fair action from a utilitarian point of view, it is not very effective from a sovereignty point of view.

The road rules would be like rules around testing, wearing of masks in public, and getting vaccinated where possible. The lockdown is more akin to closing the roads altogether until everyone has full comprehensive insurance, even though people may not need that level of cover if they have an old car or they are a bicyclist.

This is specious reasoning. The initial suburb-based lockdown (which I supported) was in effect for only a week, in the midst of a second wave. It is impossible to know if it worked or didn't work. It was opposed by all and sundry on humanitarian grounds rather than efficacy grounds.

As for saying - "it worked. There is not a single active case of covid" - again this is incredibly stupid reasoning. South Australia and NSW didn't require stage 4 lockdowns in the face of outbreaks and they still have the same success as Victoria.

Tired of always taking the most conservative (safest) route when it comes to public safety. We don't do it with the flu, we don't do it with the road toll, we don't do it with AIDS/HIV (imagine if condom use during sex was mandatory!) - why start now?

You are perfectly entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.

The Torres Straight is not like mainstream Australia and there are treaties that enshrine freedom of movement between PNG and Australian TSI peoples.

South Australia and NSW have had lockdowns.  Saying they haven't is just plain wrong.

Bloop Bloop Reloaded

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5783 on: March 23, 2021, 10:22:21 PM »
The Torres Straight is not like mainstream Australia and there are treaties that enshrine freedom of movement between PNG and Australian TSI peoples.

Wait, why is it "not like mainstream Australia"? Is it magically not susceptible to public policy considerations....just because?

Just as there are various implied freedoms in the Constitution, as well as other treaties we are signatories to which prescribe freedom of movement, yet the state and federal governments have constitutional powers to override them (see the recent High Court case saying the Victorian government had the legal power to order a lockdown).

Tell me why you think one section of Australians should be free to mingle as they wish?

You should answer the question of why from a covid policy perspective an Islander can cross national borders into a territory where vast numbers of the population are affected but a Victorian or New South Welshman (in a state with no active cases) cannot fly to, say, New Zealand for a holiday. Which do you think is the greater risk?

South Australia had a 4 day lockdown only (compared to Victoria's 112 day lockdown...!) which they ended 3 days early. NSW's stage 4 lockdown, insofar as it lasted 3 weeks, only affected the Northern Beaches. Melbourne suffered through a 4 month lockdown that affected the entirety of non-regional Victoria.

bigblock440

• Bristles
« Reply #5784 on: March 23, 2021, 11:07:07 PM »

Please provide the studies you're referencing that show the long term impacts of covid on children, and that indicate these are an order of magnitude less dangerous than the flu.

If you can't produce any, I'm going to ask you (politely) to stop lying with your comments on this topic.

Please provide the studies that show the long term impacts of children having bike accidents without helmets, and that indicate these are an order of magnitude less dangerous than those that have accidents with helmets.

bigblock440

• Bristles
« Reply #5785 on: March 23, 2021, 11:20:41 PM »
Mandates or no mandates, middle class white people in my neighborhood have mostly been social distancing, wearing masks, and working from home. Poor black people in my neighborhood, otoh, have mostly all been working at in person jobs through the entire pandemic. Maybe because they're desensitized from working in physical jobs with lots of other people for the past year, they appear to have very low compliance rates with public health mandates. I guess, after working every day at Walmart or 7-11 or whatever, dealing with anti-maskers every day, you become less worried about wearing masks and social distancing. My middle class white neighbors and their children usually come out of their houses wearing masks, get right into their cars, and drive off. My black neighbors' kids play with other kids not from their households out on the street in front of our houses, all the time. I've never once seen one of my black neighbors' kids wearing a mask. Sorry, but I don't think 'stricter enforcement' of mask mandates would have made any difference. The only result of that would be locking up or fining poor people who have already been disproportionately bearing the brunt of this pandemic. That just seems cruel to me.

Yeah, the big middle finger that was given to poor people for the whole pandemic made the whole thing a little trickier.  Although I'd argue that really, the pandemic just made certain uncomfortable realities about the society we live in a little more visible.  Poor people have always been screwed over by the system.  The fact that someone is working two jobs to make ends meet and feed their kids as a single mom doesn't mean they don't have to follow the speed limit though.

I vote to either enforce rules that you have, or to not have any rules at all.  Having rules that aren't enforced is the worst of both worlds - you piss off the people who follow them, and you fail to get much real benefit from them.

Exactly.  They're not rules if they're not enforced.  The reason they're not enforced is because the government doesn't actually have the authority to declare these rules, and the minute they actually try to enforce them, they'll be (and have been) struck down by the courts.  So why bother pretending you have this authority?  Prove it, or give up the charade. 

laserlady

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5786 on: March 23, 2021, 11:58:01 PM »
1 dose is LOTS of protection (witness Great Britain) and the website is typically at least a week behind. But sure, hate on success all you want. We've vaccinated something like 10,000 people who aren't even county residents on top of the ones who live here, too.

Our kids are enjoying school and we're having dinner parties with vaccinated friends. Hopefully everyone elsewhere will be at that point soon.

-W

Summit County currently has one of the highest per-capita rates of active COVID cases in the state. The per-capita rate of active cases is 66% higher than in Salt Lake County, despite all of the advantages Summit County should have in containing the spread. And that's not based on old cases, either - of the new cases announced today, Summit County had by far the highest per capita rate, almost 4 times as high as Salt Lake County. The New York Times has it categorized as "very high risk level" based on current data. Those are the facts. And it goes to show that even in a county with high vaccination rates, people still need to be cautious for the time being.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 12:11:33 AM by laserlady »

Paper Chaser

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5787 on: March 24, 2021, 04:23:39 AM »

Sure, no problem.

10% of confirmed covid patients (not total infections), but how is that 10% distributed among demographics? The article you linked above says:

"As with SARS, many COVID-19 long haulers are health care workers who had massive exposure to the virus early in the pandemic, neuroimmunologist Avindra Nath, MD, of the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS), noted in a recent editorial."

"The older the patients, the more likely they were to say they their pre–COVID-19 health hadn’t come back."

Those people have now had opportunities to protect themselves via vaccination pretty much everywhere in the US.

And what kind of long term issues are we talking about? Again from the article you linked:

"In the study of Italian patients, the most common symptoms reported at follow-up were fatigue, shortness of breath, joint pain, and chest pain, in that order. None of the patients had a fever or other sign or symptom of acute illness, but about 44% of them had a worsened quality of life. As the authors pointed out, though, patients with community-acquired pneumonia can also have persistent symptoms, so the findings might not be exclusive to COVID-19."

"A recent survey by the grassroots group COVID-19 “Survivor Corps” found that fatigue was the most common of the top 50 symptoms experienced by the more than 1500 long haulers who responded, followed by muscle or body aches, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, and difficulty concentrating."

So we're talking about a minority of confirmed patients that might suffer from things like fatigue, muscle ache or difficulty concentrating for a few weeks. Many of these are also common lingering affects from other illnesses that we mostly ignore as a society too. None of these qualify as more than a nuisance to me. I don't see that these are widespread enough or severe enough to justify society wide restrictions.

This study directly opposes Walt's earlier claim that Covid is like the flu but an order of magnitude less important:
Not returning to usual health within 2–3 weeks of testing was reported by approximately one third of respondents. Even among young adults aged 18–34 years with no chronic medical conditions, nearly one in five reported that they had not returned to their usual state of health 14–21 days after testing. In contrast, over 90% of outpatients with influenza recover within approximately 2 weeks of having a positive test result

From that study:

"Overall, 141 of 264 (53%) with available data reported one or more chronic medical conditions."

"Among the 270 of 274 interviewees with available data on return to usual health,† 175 (65%) reported that they had returned to their usual state of health a median of 7 days (IQR = 5–12 days) from the date of testing (Table 1). Ninety-five (35%) reported that they had not returned to their usual state of health at the time of interview. The proportion who had not returned to their usual state of health differed across age groups: 26% of interviewees aged 18–34 years, 32% aged 35–49 years, and 47% aged ≥50 years reported not having returned to their usual state of health (p = 0.010) within 14–21 days after receiving a positive test result. Presence of chronic conditions also affected return to health rates; among 180 persons with no or one chronic medical condition, 39 with two chronic medical conditions, and 44 with three or more chronic medical conditions, 28%, 46%, and 57%, respectively, reported not having returned to their usual state of health (p = 0.003) within 14–21 days after having a positive test result. Among respondents aged 18–34 years with no chronic medical condition, 19% (nine of 48) reported not having returned to their usual state of health. Adjusting for other factors, age ≥50 versus 18–34 years (adjusted odds ratio [aOR] = 2.29; 95% confidence interval [CI] = 1.14–4.58) and reporting three or more versus no chronic medical conditions (aOR = 2.29; 95% CI = 1.07–4.90) were associated with not having returned to usual health (Table 2). Obesity (body mass index ≥30 kg per m2) (aOR 2.31; 95% CI = 1.21–4.42) and reporting a psychiatric condition§ (aOR 2.32; 95% CI = 1.17–4.58) also were associated with more than twofold odds of not returning to the patient’s usual health after adjusting for age, sex, and race/ethnicity."

Again, long term impacts don't seem very likely or very severe for most people, particularly young, healthy ones. If a person has concerns about these long term impacts, then I fully support them taking the necessary steps to limit their exposure. I'll continue to mask up and social distance as required by local governments or businesses. But I'm not seeing anything here that might indicate that loosening restrictions on society in general is wildly irresponsible in the current environment.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 04:56:50 AM by Paper Chaser »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5788 on: March 24, 2021, 07:45:05 AM »
1 dose is LOTS of protection (witness Great Britain) and the website is typically at least a week behind.

Can you define what you understand 'LOTS' to be?

For Pfizer you get about 50% effectiveness after the first shot (https://www.wavy.com/covid-19-vaccine/how-long-after-the-second-dose-of-the-covid-vaccine-is-it-effective/), and there have been recorded cases where people died of covid after receiving only shot of vaccine (https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20210114-covid-19-how-effective-is-a-single-vaccine-dose).

But sure, hate on success all you want. We've vaccinated something like 10,000 people who aren't even county residents on top of the ones who live here, too.

I think that the success your county has achieved in vaccination is outstanding!  We need to vaccinate as many people as possible, as quickly as possible.  That's the way that we get to herd immunity and the way that we all get back to normal soonest.

But 50% is not the number for fully vaccinated . . . it's the number of people who have been partially vaccinated.  You seem to be incorrectly equating the two in your posts.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5789 on: March 24, 2021, 08:19:16 AM »

Sure, no problem.

10% of confirmed covid patients (not total infections), but how is that 10% distributed among demographics? The article you linked above says:

"As with SARS, many COVID-19 long haulers are health care workers who had massive exposure to the virus early in the pandemic, neuroimmunologist Avindra Nath, MD, of the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS), noted in a recent editorial."

"The older the patients, the more likely they were to say they their pre–COVID-19 health hadn’t come back."

Those people have now had opportunities to protect themselves via vaccination pretty much everywhere in the US.

We know that this impacts people who were perfectly healthy before having covid, and we know that it impacts younger people.  I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that older patients and those with health problems were more seriously effected by it - this is true of most diseases.

We know that there's a problem and that it isn't rare.  We know that it impacts young, healthy people and older people - but older people in greater numbers.  We know that it impacts people who did not have severe cases of covid.  I don't believe that we have enough data at this point to be making the sweeping statements you're claiming above - that this is only an issue of concern for elderly people.

And what kind of long term issues are we talking about? Again from the article you linked:

"In the study of Italian patients, the most common symptoms reported at follow-up were fatigue, shortness of breath, joint pain, and chest pain, in that order. None of the patients had a fever or other sign or symptom of acute illness, but about 44% of them had a worsened quality of life. As the authors pointed out, though, patients with community-acquired pneumonia can also have persistent symptoms, so the findings might not be exclusive to COVID-19."

"A recent survey by the grassroots group COVID-19 “Survivor Corps” found that fatigue was the most common of the top 50 symptoms experienced by the more than 1500 long haulers who responded, followed by muscle or body aches, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, and difficulty concentrating."

So we're talking about a minority of confirmed patients that might suffer from things like fatigue, muscle ache or difficulty concentrating for a few weeks. Many of these are also common lingering affects from other illnesses that we mostly ignore as a society too. None of these qualify as more than a nuisance to me. I don't see that these are widespread enough or severe enough to justify society wide restrictions.

I think that you're minimizing the impacts of some of these symptoms here in order to dismiss them.  The fatigue you mentioned can seriously impact the ability of a person to work, or a child to learn at school.  I've had issues with insomnia in the past, and can tell you first hand . . . fatigue is a real problem that seriously impacts quality of life for a person.  It's not something I'd wish on another.

You're also mentioning 'a few weeks'.  As I previously pointed out . . . that's a bit dismissive:
Patients with Long COVID report prolonged multisystem involvement and significant disability. Most had not returned to previous levels of work by 6 months. Many patients are not recovered by 7 months, and continue to experience significant symptom burden.

We're still studying the long term impacts of this disease.  My point is certainly not to say that having had covid is the end of the world and doom . . . but it is to indicate a reason why we should temper our exuberance to return to normal as quickly as possible.  While we certainly need to proceed with opening things back up, we also should continue to take annoying but necessary common sense precautions (mask mandates, social distancing, handwashing) until our experts tell us that we've achieved herd immunity.

From that study:

"Overall, 141 of 264 (53%) with available data reported one or more chronic medical conditions."

"Among the 270 of 274 interviewees with available data on return to usual health,† 175 (65%) reported that they had returned to their usual state of health a median of 7 days (IQR = 5–12 days) from the date of testing (Table 1). Ninety-five (35%) reported that they had not returned to their usual state of health at the time of interview. The proportion who had not returned to their usual state of health differed across age groups: 26% of interviewees aged 18–34 years, 32% aged 35–49 years, and 47% aged ≥50 years reported not having returned to their usual state of health (p = 0.010) within 14–21 days after receiving a positive test result. Presence of chronic conditions also affected return to health rates; among 180 persons with no or one chronic medical condition, 39 with two chronic medical conditions, and 44 with three or more chronic medical conditions, 28%, 46%, and 57%, respectively, reported not having returned to their usual state of health (p = 0.003) within 14–21 days after having a positive test result. Among respondents aged 18–34 years with no chronic medical condition, 19% (nine of 48) reported not having returned to their usual state of health. Adjusting for other factors, age ≥50 versus 18–34 years (adjusted odds ratio [aOR] = 2.29; 95% confidence interval [CI] = 1.14–4.58) and reporting three or more versus no chronic medical conditions (aOR = 2.29; 95% CI = 1.07–4.90) were associated with not having returned to usual health (Table 2). Obesity (body mass index ≥30 kg per m2) (aOR 2.31; 95% CI = 1.21–4.42) and reporting a psychiatric condition§ (aOR 2.32; 95% CI = 1.17–4.58) also were associated with more than twofold odds of not returning to the patient’s usual health after adjusting for age, sex, and race/ethnicity."

Again, long term impacts don't seem very likely or very severe for most people, particularly young, healthy ones. If a person has concerns about these long term impacts, then I fully support them taking the necessary steps to limit their exposure. I'll continue to mask up and social distance as required by local governments or businesses. But I'm not seeing anything here that might indicate that loosening restrictions on society in general is wildly irresponsible in the current environment.

OK - so we're agreed that this is very different than the flu, correct?  :P

You mention that this is a lesser problem for people in perfect health, and that those who have pre-existing conditions do worse.  One of the pre-existing chronic conditions mentioned in the study is obesity.  40% of Americans are obese.  That's a pretty large percentage of the population that has increased risk for long-covid, wouldn't you agree?

Again, I'm not saying that this is a death sentence for anyone.  The main reason to bring it up is to point out that there are concerns other than death and hospitalization associated with covid-19.  We have seen deaths go down and hospitalizations reduce - both are excellent.  But we can't drop all safety measures as Walt has proposed - doing so will expose more people to this poorly understood other aspect of covid.

mathlete

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5790 on: March 24, 2021, 08:27:12 AM »
The US at large is kicking ass with regards to vaccinations. We're finally coming out of this.

Been trying to boil the whole year down into some teachable lessons. Here's what I got so far.

1.) The virus was as deadly as advertised. Very contagious, and as Fauci said before congress in March 2020, up to 10 times as lethal as the seasonal flu. The Imperial College paper largely nailed it, saying that 1.1 million in the US could die over 2 years. As usual, science could be better about communicating ranges of possible outcomes and the uncertainty associated with predictions. The general public probably should have been convinced of the serious nature of the virus when the conspiracy-minded US President was on board with the March shutdown, though remaining convinced of it required weathering his bipolar comments over the following 12 months.

2.) The WHO and associated health bodies dropped the ball on mask messaging. They should have made a clear distinction between a cloth mask or a homemade mask, and PPE/N95. Early on they encouraged people not to wear masks for the sake of resource rationing. Later on, when there was some evidence to suggest that cloth mask adoption by the general public could help, it was too late for a lot of people. The message was already, "Don't wear masks." And then it became a stupid and ugly political issue.

3.) There probably should have been a Federal effort to open in person schooling in Fall 2020. Mass, NBA Bubble-Like testing for teachers and administrators. Money to stagger attendance. Money to lease unused commercial space for classroom purposes. Whatever it takes. Including heeding research that says that kids don't really die or get super sick from COVID, and school openings don't lead to huge spikes in community spread.

The 585

« Reply #5791 on: March 24, 2021, 08:32:49 AM »

Also, I know of some younger healthier people who've completely recovered and have no lingering health effects except their "sense of taste hasn't completely returned". So sure that may be a nuisance I'd imagine -- but are they binned into this "long-hauler" number? Seems pretty subjective to me.

jehovasfitness23

• Bristles
« Reply #5792 on: March 24, 2021, 09:05:39 AM »

Also, I know of some younger healthier people who've completely recovered and have no lingering health effects except their "sense of taste hasn't completely returned". So sure that may be a nuisance I'd imagine -- but are they binned into this "long-hauler" number? Seems pretty subjective to me.

Is life even worth living if you can't taste?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5793 on: March 24, 2021, 09:30:25 AM »

It would make going vegan a lot easier .  .  .

:P

By the River

• Bristles
« Reply #5794 on: March 24, 2021, 09:35:24 AM »

Especially for someone with good Italian food all around.

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5795 on: March 24, 2021, 09:42:35 AM »
I've mentioned this before but analysis like this ^^ is incomplete without measuring compliance rates and examining confounding factors.

As is, this data provides an interesting factoid, and that's about it.

Yes, you stated the same thing further up in the thread. Can you please explain further what kind of confounding factors you are imagining? And why would knowing the compliance rate be required?

I would argue that compliance rates can be inferred from the case rates and deaths. We would both agree that complying with lockdowns and mask mandates is effective in preventing virus spread. The question is whether government restrictions work to increase compliance, or are they instead a blunt tool causing more harm than good?

How would you even go about measuring compliance? And if we never find out the compliance rates, are you saying that we cannot draw any useful insights from state-by-state comparisons?

Yeah, on one hand it's absurd to think lockdowns don't work just from a practical level if followed.

This would be begging the question (assuming the the truth of a conclusion instead of supporting it). The question is whether people comply with lockdowns, so you cannot just assume it to be the case.

There are clear differences in infection rates in different areas depending on conditions.  Population density is a big factor, as are proportions of key workers not able to work from home, low incomes and capital resources preventing isolation after diagnosis or known contact, spread within multi-generational households, and so on.  Then you've got different variants of the virus with differing levels of infectivity and a question over how much genetic sampling for those variants has been done.  So you would need to allow for all those factors before getting to the question of mask mandates.  And even with mask mandates there are different types of mandate each with different levels of public information/enforcement and compliance, also to be accounted for.

former player nailed it.

And yes, without controlling for certain factors, we absolutely can not compare state to state. It's nonsensical from a data analysis perspective.

The author of that article either doesn't understand data analysis or was cherry picking data points to align with their own bias.

Paper Chaser

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5796 on: March 24, 2021, 10:03:47 AM »

Sure, no problem.

We know that this impacts people who were perfectly healthy before having covid, and we know that it impacts younger people.  I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that older patients and those with health problems were more seriously effected by it - this is true of most diseases.

We know that there's a problem and that it isn't rare.  We know that it impacts young, healthy people and older people - but older people in greater numbers.  We know that it impacts people who did not have severe cases of covid.  I don't believe that we have enough data at this point to be making the sweeping statements you're claiming above - that this is only an issue of concern for elderly people.

Not sure I said that it's only a concern for old people. You're clearly concerned about it, and not that old. But old people (in the US) have been given every opportunity to protect themselves via the vaccine. They're most likely to suffer severe illness, and per your links also most likely to suffer lengthy covid symptoms. If they've taken the opportunity to vaccinate, then all of that is pretty much off the table isn't it?

I think that you're minimizing the impacts of some of these symptoms here in order to dismiss them.  The fatigue you mentioned can seriously impact the ability of a person to work, or a child to learn at school.  I've had issues with insomnia in the past, and can tell you first hand . . . fatigue is a real problem that seriously impacts quality of life for a person.  It's not something I'd wish on another.

I'm not minimizing the impacts those can have on an individual. Given the choice between not having those symptoms and having them, we obviously would like to avoid them. I just don't think it falls on all of society to continue to sacrifice so that a minority of people can avoid some minor discomfort, brain fog, etc. It's worth it to prevent widespread death and overloading the medical system. It's not worth it to prevent a few people from feeling fatigued after doing the dishes (my wife was easily fatigued for a week or so during her bout with the virus).

You're also mentioning 'a few weeks'.  As I previously pointed out . . . that's a bit dismissive:

I mention "a few weeks" because most of the studies in the article that you linked have timeline under 36 days. The one source that you've provided (the link directly above) that indicates symptoms several months down the line doesn't happen to quantify how many of the self-selected respondents actually still have those symptoms after several months. It only uses "many". It's the same ambiguous language that you're critisizing Walt for. There's no way to tell if this occurs in 1% of cases, or .00001%

We're still studying the long term impacts of this disease.  My point is certainly not to say that having had covid is the end of the world and doom . . . but it is to indicate a reason why we should temper our exuberance to return to normal as quickly as possible.  While we certainly need to proceed with opening things back up, we also should continue to take annoying but necessary common sense precautions (mask mandates, social distancing, handwashing) until our experts tell us that we've achieved herd immunity.

And what if we never achieve herd immunity (70% vaccination or more)? What if we get to a point where something like 60% of the population is vaccinated and that's it? Old people have the most to lose from COVID and the most to gain from a vaccine. They also happen to have the least amount of life remaining to worry about long term impacts. The math is different for a young person that's far less likely to suffer severe illness from the virus, and has far more life remaining for long term vaccine effects to surface. What if we get to a point where the people that want the vaccine have all had it, and those who don't aren't willing to take it, and we're still below the 70% estimate that experts say is needed for herd immunity? What if in that same scenario case numbers, hospitalizations, and test positivity all continue to decline? If there's no indication of local spread, but the experts don't think we're at herd immunity, then what?

From that study:

You mention that this is a lesser problem for people in perfect health, and that those who have pre-existing conditions do worse.  One of the pre-existing chronic conditions mentioned in the study is obesity.  40% of Americans are obese.  That's a pretty large percentage of the population that has increased risk for long-covid, wouldn't you agree?

Again, I'm not saying that this is a death sentence for anyone.  The main reason to bring it up is to point out that there are concerns other than death and hospitalization associated with covid-19.  We have seen deaths go down and hospitalizations reduce - both are excellent.  But we can't drop all safety measures as Walt has proposed - doing so will expose more people to this poorly understood other aspect of covid.

Again, I don't wish some of these symptoms on anybody. But to what lengths should society go in order to avoid any negative impact on an individual? I'll sacrifice to keep people out of hospitals and alive. I'm a lot less likely to comply if my sacrifice only means a few people don't have to feel exhausted after exertion, or have sharper mental focus for a few weeks. We're at a point where those most at-risk of severe illness and death can choose to protect themselves via vaccination. In my state, anybody over 16 will be eligible for the vaccine in about a week. At that point I think the burden of sacrifice shifts from society at large, to the individual. If you don't want to risk getting the virus, and possibly encountering some of these long haul symptoms, then it's your responsibility to take steps to protect yourself. Let others be done sacrificing if they're not at risk, and/or don't care about catching the virus. If it's not putting tons of people in the hospital or in the ground, then it's just another virus, and as a society I think it's fair to act the same way that we would for any other viral infection (which is to say "wash your hands, keep your immune system as healthy as you can and don't go out if you feel sick").
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 10:07:20 AM by Paper Chaser »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5797 on: March 24, 2021, 10:43:51 AM »

Sure, no problem.

Not sure I said that it's only a concern for old people. You're clearly concerned about it, and not that old. But old people (in the US) have been given every opportunity to protect themselves via the vaccine. They're most likely to suffer severe illness, and per your links also most likely to suffer lengthy covid symptoms. If they've taken the opportunity to vaccinate, then all of that is pretty much off the table isn't it?

I'm not minimizing the impacts those can have on an individual. Given the choice between not having those symptoms and having them, we obviously would like to avoid them. I just don't think it falls on all of society to continue to sacrifice so that a minority of people can avoid some minor discomfort, brain fog, etc. It's worth it to prevent widespread death and overloading the medical system. It's not worth it to prevent a few people from feeling fatigued after doing the dishes (my wife was easily fatigued for a week or so during her bout with the virus).

Despite protestations to the contrary, your comments above are again minimizing the impacts that this can have on individuals.

Do you really find wearing a mask in public and some attempt at distancing while out of the home an unreasonable ask to prevent symptoms of this disease that we don't currently understand yet?

I don't know the full extend of this problem yet.  Prudence indicates that it is reason to not rush back into pre-pandemic routine, at least until the full extent is better known.  There are many people researching this, we'll have answers soon.

I mention "a few weeks" because most of the studies in the article that you linked have timeline under 36 days. The one source that you've provided (the link directly above) that indicates symptoms several months down the line doesn't happen to quantify how many of the self-selected respondents actually still have those symptoms after several months. It only uses "many". It's the same ambiguous language that you're critisizing Walt for. There's no way to tell if this occurs in 1% of cases, or .00001%

You think that it's unreasonable for us to accommodate a minority of people who might have serious quality of life problems from this?  How do you feel about providing annoying beeping at crosswalk signs for blind people?  That's a cost borne by the majority to accommodate a very small minority . . . because we want to try to allow the blind ways to be more productive members of society.  Pretty much the same thing.

The various studies that I linked are part of the ongoing process of researching the long term damage that covid does.  You seem to be under the impression that because a study has concluded in 36 days, that means the disease being studied has also run it's course.  This is not the case.  The disease is still being studied.  We don't know how many months or years the long haulers will be impacted, or what percentage of people it will include.

FWIW - My primary criticism of Walt was not with ambiguous language - it was with the clear and unambiguous falsehood that covid is a magnitude of order less dangerous than the flu.

And what if we never achieve herd immunity (70% vaccination or more)? What if we get to a point where something like 60% of the population is vaccinated and that's it? Old people have the most to lose from COVID and the most to gain from a vaccine. They also happen to have the least amount of life remaining to worry about long term impacts. The math is different for a young person that's far less likely to suffer severe illness from the virus, and has far more life remaining for long term vaccine effects to surface. What if we get to a point where the people that want the vaccine have all had it, and those who don't aren't willing to take it, and we're still below the 70% estimate that experts say is needed for herd immunity? What if in that same scenario case numbers, hospitalizations, and test positivity all continue to decline? If there's no indication of local spread, but the experts don't think we're at herd immunity, then what?

If people are too stupid to take the vaccine, then the disease will continue to mutate and more dangerous forms will likely be common.  There's nothing saying that future mutations of covid will continue to attack the elderly, it could just as easily become a bigger problem for the young and not be controlled by available vaccines.  Likely we'll have to see semi-permeant use of masks and social distancing in public and potential future years just like this previous one where death tolls and hospitalizations mount as we scramble to find a way out.  That would be a pretty terrible outcome, and one that I'd prefer to avoid.

From that study:

Again, I don't wish some of these symptoms on anybody. But to what lengths should society go in order to avoid any negative impact on an individual? I'll sacrifice to keep people out of hospitals and alive. I'm a lot less likely to comply if my sacrifice only means a few people don't have to feel exhausted after exertion, or have sharper mental focus for a few weeks. We're at a point where those most at-risk of severe illness and death can choose to protect themselves via vaccination. In my state, anybody over 16 will be eligible for the vaccine in about a week. At that point I think the burden of sacrifice shifts from society at large, to the individual. If you don't want to risk getting the virus, and possibly encountering some of these long haul symptoms, then it's your responsibility to take steps to protect yourself. Let others be done sacrificing if they're not at risk, and/or don't care about catching the virus. If it's not putting tons of people in the hospital or in the ground, then it's just another virus, and as a society I think it's fair to act the same way that we would for any other viral infection (which is to say "wash your hands, keep your immune system as healthy as you can and don't go out if you feel sick").

Again, this is minimizing and seriously mischaracterizing the symptoms that are being reported in an attempt to dismiss them.  I believe I understand your point of view - you care if someone is in critical condition or if they are dead.  You don't care at all about other outcomes - fuck 'em.

The problem with this kind of thinking is, we really are in this together.  If a large percentage of the population doesn't vaccinate then we end up with covid continuing to spread.  And the more it spreads the more new variants will emerge.  As mentioned, that could easily lead to a variant that isn't as benign as your assumptions and that isn't prevented by the vaccines available.  Which leads us back to a similar scenario as a year ago.

Then you start to think about the about economic impact of people who experience long covid and end up with chronic conditions.  Your assumption is that this isn't a big deal for people of working age and children.  But the science isn't really in on that yet.  Maybe it will all turn out to be nothing (I hope that this is the case).  We just don't have enough data at the moment to be making these calls with any kind of confidence - so it seems prudent to err on the side of caution (wearing masks and distancing in public) for the time being.

kenmoremmm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5798 on: March 24, 2021, 11:18:42 AM »
The problem with this kind of thinking is, we really are in this together.  If a large percentage of the population doesn't vaccinate then we end up with covid continuing to spread.  And the more it spreads the more new variants will emerge.  As mentioned, that could easily lead to a variant that isn't as benign as your assumptions and that isn't prevented by the vaccines available.  Which leads us back to a similar scenario as a year ago.

variants will continue regardless of what is done in the US or Canada. i'm doubtful that African or South American countries will be fully vaccinated, ever, so things will continue to mutate there forever.

The 585

« Reply #5799 on: March 24, 2021, 11:39:11 AM »
variants will continue regardless of what is done in the US or Canada. i'm doubtful that African or South American countries will be fully vaccinated, ever, so things will continue to mutate there forever.

Agreed. Also, I'm no epidemiologist but I think the trend is that viruses generally mutate themselves to be LESS lethal over time.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!