Author Topic: How is the pandemic personally affecting you?  (Read 15669 times)

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
Re: How is the pandemic personally affecting you?
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2020, 08:34:32 AM »
That said, I'm quite aware that we're in this period of social distancing for the long haul. We will continue to have dumb waves of people not paying attention to guidelines, and the absolute earliest we're likely to get a vaccine is probably late summer 2021. So this is what our lives are going to be like for the foreseeable future. Right now, in the summer, it's okay. But I'm already worried about how it's going to be this winter, when we're even more isolated. I think it's going to be pretty brutal, psychologically. DH and I have been talking about strategies to combat that, so we won't be overwhelmed or blindsided when it happens.

Combined with the long term economic toll I'm very worried about the winter. Which is to say I'm very worried about a large portion of the population going completely mad.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2020, 08:45:48 AM »
Maybe that would be a great thread to start - how will everyone cope with the cold weather and the grey skies this winter with COVID.

I have a garage shop and plan to happily tinker the time away. DW and youngest are pretty introverted too so we might get lonely but I expect we'll cope okay.

Our eldest is pretty extroverted. Already having troubles with social distancing. This winter will be tough for them. We can tinker in the garage together but when I'm not there progress grinds to a halt. There are other problems like mild depression that counseling is working through.

American GenX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2020, 10:42:18 AM »

I live alone.  It's affecting me mostly in that I'm working from home, going on 4 months now.  So, it's been nice for me.  I have a little more free time now, and I'm spending more time biking than any recent years.  I eat out very little, so that's not an issue for me.  I'm not seeing friends or family much, so that's the only downside, but I certainly am not feeling lonely.  I love working from home - away from the office.  I never thought that would happen, so I'm enjoying it while I can.

As for winter, I'm expecting to get called back to the office after the summer, so I'll get my fill of being around people there and will miss these days of working from home.  I'll keep counting my money and anticipating my approaching retirement date to keep my spirits up.  I always have plenty to keep me busy - the pandemic doesn't change that.  Hopefully an effective vaccine is widely available sooner rather than later.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2020, 10:45:09 AM »
I have lost track of the last time I had a proper day off. July 4th was the last day I didn't send an email, and last weekend alone I worked ~24 hours.

I'm tired...and salaried, with a covid pay cut for 2021 and a lost week of PTO for 2020 on top of my workload spiking hard.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2020, 10:57:24 AM »
Maybe that would be a great thread to start - how will everyone cope with the cold weather and the grey skies this winter with COVID.

I have a garage shop and plan to happily tinker the time away. DW and youngest are pretty introverted too so we might get lonely but I expect we'll cope okay.

Our eldest is pretty extroverted. Already having troubles with social distancing. This winter will be tough for them. We can tinker in the garage together but when I'm not there progress grinds to a halt. There are other problems like mild depression that counseling is working through.
Good question.  I live in So Cal soo...

But we do have a rainy season some years. That gets to be more challenging when it rains for several straight days.

redhead84

• Stubble
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2020, 11:51:49 AM »
My 93 year old grandma is moving into hospice care. The only thing she really wants is a visit from her great grandson, my 2 year old nephew, and I don't know if that will be possible. We all live in WI, and she is in AZ. I feel fortunate that I visited her in late February, but all she could talk about was how excited she was for my sister and nephew to visit in March. Their trip was scheduled for the week after her nursing home went into lock down. They may have missed their last chance to see her by one week.

maisymouser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2020, 10:53:23 AM »
It depends on the day. Today is a rough one where I feel completely sluggish and every hour is a slog. I am dead tired of dealing with a 2-year-old all day every day, wasn't built for it. Love him to death but I was definitely planning on having consistent childcare and/or support when I had him. I guess I'm weaker and a bit more selfish with my time than I thought. I really miss planning things with friends and family, and I feel fairly incompetent about all the projects I thought I'd accomplish during quarantine that turned out to be more effort than I'd hoped. Every day is Blursday and I haven't really leaned on coping mechanisms except for ordering more meat than usual (bacon wrapped goat cheese stuffed figs were a major treat last week).

On the other hand, husband and I still have jobs, NW is up, and we are all healthy. We live in an area where there are plenty of outdoor areas to explore and kiddo will be at a small family daycare 2 days/week starting next week. I hope it helps with the morale. We're probably going to be better off than most during this challenging time, but that says a lot to me, and I am overall in a funk and/or depressed about the state of things.

TheFrenchCat

• Bristles
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2020, 11:40:46 AM »
It depends on the day. Today is a rough one where I feel completely sluggish and every hour is a slog. I am dead tired of dealing with a 2-year-old all day every day, wasn't built for it. Love him to death but I was definitely planning on having consistent childcare and/or support when I had him. I guess I'm weaker and a bit more selfish with my time than I thought. I really miss planning things with friends and family, and I feel fairly incompetent about all the projects I thought I'd accomplish during quarantine that turned out to be more effort than I'd hoped. Every day is Blursday and I haven't really leaned on coping mechanisms except for ordering more meat than usual (bacon wrapped goat cheese stuffed figs were a major treat last week).

On the other hand, husband and I still have jobs, NW is up, and we are all healthy. We live in an area where there are plenty of outdoor areas to explore and kiddo will be at a small family daycare 2 days/week starting next week. I hope it helps with the morale. We're probably going to be better off than most during this challenging time, but that says a lot to me, and I am overall in a funk and/or depressed about the state of things.
Don't discount that background stress.  It takes a toll, but it can be sneaky and make people feel like they're just not doing well enough.  When in reality just thinking about all this is draining. 

And I wouldn't think of it as selfish with your time.  Every parent needs a break and this situation is making that incredibly hard to get.  I hope your new care situation works out for all of you.  Maybe then you'll have more time for more coping strategies and start an upward spiral.

MoneyTree

• Bristles
    • Journal - The Best Time to Plant a MoneyTree
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2020, 12:06:15 PM »
For me, it isn't the social isolation that is the issue, as I'm generally more than ok staying at home.

Its been the increased miscommunication and therefore drama at work, as well as the fact that my living situation is not conducive to long term working from home, and its not something that I can fix with a few furniture purchases.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2020, 04:54:27 PM »
I hung a punching bag four feet from my desk in the basement, and the little frustrations from work that kept adding up have all been melting away ever since.

LetItGrow

• Stubble
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2020, 05:14:57 PM »
I hung a punching bag four feet from my desk in the basement, and the little frustrations from work that kept adding up have all been melting away ever since.

I’ve considered hanging a heavy bag in the basement. More for frustration over hay fever, but I’d think it would have a similar, positive impact.

Do you put post-it notes with coworker/ bosses names on it?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2020, 06:27:11 PM »
Do you put post-it notes with coworker/ bosses names on it?

With the use it's getting, there's no way they would stay on.  :P

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2020, 07:13:20 PM »
I've learned to cook.

I don't have the concentration to write so my writing goals have vanished.

I'm more convinced than every that DH and I will enjoy retirement and having far more time to spend together. 

And I do have increased anxiety--something I was already predisposed to--but it's hard to say how much of that is Covid and how much is politics and the state of my country and the world. 

I've missed time with friends who are about to move away, which is pretty upsetting, but I don't consider that really a affect, I guess.

And I'm working out more, losing weight, and increasing my fitness, which is the only good upside.   

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2020, 09:15:58 PM »
One thing I forgot to mention is that I'm spending less money/time on things like having to buy work clothes, get dressed for work, etc. I can do most of my work in PJs. Even when I have a "virtual trial" I don't even have to put pants on. The current situation means that most normal client appointments can be done over the phone which means sometimes I don't have to change out of my PJs.

Another potential positive is that the dip in inflation/cost of goods generally, and lowered retail prices that I think are coming (due to the economy not performing well), might lead to goods and services being cheaper for a while.

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2020, 09:33:39 PM »
Personally? Let's see, business is up over 40%, I'm up 30-38% on the 90K i put into the market in March, and I no longer have to shake anybody's gross hand--best thing since sliced bread!!

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2020, 09:56:03 PM »
The Not-So-Good:

My HHI has dropped precipitously. I operate two small business and the majority of clients have downsized, cancelled or are on suspension. In June, my son turned 18 and aged out  of his portion of the social security survivors' benefits to prop up our family income. For the first  time ever I applied for, and am receiving the widowed parent benefit.

The graduating senior should have had,  along with his classmates, a ceremony. Instead, his younger sister and I drove by in the car and yelled out  the window. Lame. His grandmothers, along with his big sister should have  attended the party in his honor that had been planned for months. Obviously that didn't happen. We have not seen my oldest daughter since February - the longest I've ever gone since giving her a hug.

The Pretty Good:

Turns out having a  decent EF is a helpful thing. I have not had to dip into retirement or taxable accounts. The tenants for the properties I  co-own are paying their rents, and the small income helps. The remaining  clients in  my businesses are fantastic and kind.

DD2 and I volunteer for  food bank deliveries.  It gives us perspective on how hard some people have it and how fortunate we are, all  things considered.  We have a kick-ass  garden this  year and so many fresh vegetables. Each kid at home takes a night each week to cook and they're learning new skills. The house is  declutterred  and  in good shape.

DS will not be moving on-campus this semester and will be  DL from home, and has made peace with it. He  has a  part-time job locally. DD2  will also start her first year of  high school DL. They are clearly old enough to be self-motivated; I do feel for  those with elementary-aged children who need so much oversight and help.

We can make lap swim appointments at our family fitness club, which is now open  again. My aunt and uncle generously  offer their swimming pool  for hot days when  we just wantt to cool off. I'm reading a ton of wonderful  books. Friends come  over for socially distanced wine hour on the deck, which  is great.

Sometimes all you can do is  all you  can do.

warehouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2020, 10:17:15 PM »
One of my parents was just diagnosed with a potentially terminal illness, along with life threatening side effects.  Due to the hospital's (sensible) social distancing procedures, me and my family can't all be there at his side and that..... just fucking sucks.  Because I can't risk spreading COVID to him, I'm limiting my already limited social/out of house interactions even further.

I am afraid that he's going to still catch it, and all of his time spent in the hospital will be for nothing.  I am very, very afraid that if the worst comes to pass, we won't be able to have a funeral, or even be by his side at the end.

I am in the same position. My dad was just diagnosed with cancer and spent nearly a month in the hospital and visitors were limited to one person a day. He's home now and I am severely limiting my contact with others so I can spend time with him. It's terrifying to think of him getting covid right now and interrupting his desperately needed cancer treatments or worse. What a shitty year.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2020, 11:53:09 PM »
The bad

My elderly parents (in their 90s) are in a different state. I used to visit them for a week every three weeks. Covid19 changed that. I’ve been able to visit them twice since the pandemic started. Once on compassionate grounds, to sort out their care and their wills and powers of attorney and other stuff which desperately needed to be sorted out. A few weeks later restrictions were eased, and I was there again. Then their state started to get many cases, and the borders closed. A few weeks ago, mum became very ill, but I can’t go there (if I did, on compassionate grounds, I’d need to quarantine for 14 days away from home when I got back - so I’m saving it for an absolute emergency).

My social life has disappeared, and none of the groups are doing virtual meetings.

The good

My parents live in their own home, and now have carers visiting daily (I managed to sort that out while I was there), and they’re in good hands.

I managed to have two operations just before all non-emergency surgery was cancelled, and the outcome was great.

Home life is good. Some friendships are flourishing. I’ve been on a couple of camping trips with a friend, and we’ve been the only ones at the campgrounds and on the trails. Apart from the fact that it’s very cold (being the middle of winter) this has been fantastic. Social distancing is easy in separate tents, pit toilets, and evenings around the fire.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2020, 01:47:30 AM »
I'm working from home and quite happy in daily life with my partner. I think both of my kids needed the extended break from their school, which is a cesspool.

My step Mom had a health emergency a couple of months ago, and it was distressing not to be able to fly to help my Dad. She recovered and they seem to have figured out a new plan for getting help from friends and neighbors, which is good. They were supposed to fly to visit us this Fall, though, so I'm sad to miss that.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2020, 03:46:05 AM »
Pros

We got "stuck" in Europe on our honeymoon, Monday will be month 6!
We were planning to travel for a year anyway, so just happened to leave our jobs and divest of apartment/cars etc before the shit hit the fan.
We are not in the USA, thank sweet baby Jesus.
Life here is almost 100% normal, I haven't seen someone wearing a mask or talking about Covid in weeks.
There were almost 0 tourists on our travels.

Cons

We did have to do a police supervised quarantine when we left Portugal.
The labor market might suck if/when we have to go back to work.
Getting back to the USA after the election clusterfuck may be difficult.
Couldn't go to the gym for 3 whole months
Everyone from family and friends who is stuck back in the NY and FL area are super jelly.
I had to give up unemployment, and missed out on the sweet sweet federal helicopter money.

maisymouser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2020, 07:48:39 AM »

Don't discount that background stress.  It takes a toll, but it can be sneaky and make people feel like they're just not doing well enough.  When in reality just thinking about all this is draining. 

And I wouldn't think of it as selfish with your time.  Every parent needs a break and this situation is making that incredibly hard to get.  I hope your new care situation works out for all of you.  Maybe then you'll have more time for more coping strategies and start an upward spiral.

Aw, thanks! Waking up this morning and seeing that reply was a good way to start to my day. And you're right- the quiet hum in the background of most of our lives right now involves questions about what will happen in the future, not just with the pandemic but politics and the economy, which is stress-inducing for sure.

I listened to an episode of the podcast "Hidden Brain" yesterday about strategies to increase happiness, especially in a pandemic. One of the segments was about how experiences can be bad (say, a rotten vacation with a broken down van and forgetting some luggage) and the takeaway of that segment was that even though one might be having a crappy time during a period like this, the human brain is great at highlighting the positives and good times in retrospect. We're inclined to have nostalgia when possible, and to turn stressful situations into good stories in retrospect. I imagine that will be the case for many of us after we return to some sense of "normal".

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2020, 08:38:14 AM »
We’re waiting now to see if my parents (age 69 and 71) have COVID-19. Mom was potentially exposed at work by someone in her workroom, and apparently the situation was serious enough to get a call from the company owner on a Saturday morning. Dad is retired and a cancer patient who was carefully restricting his own exposure to the public.

I’m trying not to be furious on top of the anxiety because my mom and I had several conversations about her own age-related risk and Dad’s double risk earlier this year but she decided to keep working. We’re hoping that her masks and workspace sanitizing protocols helped but none of it is 100%, especially with standard building ventilation and coworkers who are less careful.

The company owner told mom that he wants her working remotely from now on. Her main reason for still working was to get out and be around people. This should go over well.

Trying not to be furious. It isn’t going to change the situation. At least if they’re sick, now is a “good” time because the local medical centers aren’t overloaded. Two months from now, things may be really bad after the schools and universities are up and running again.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2020, 09:58:13 AM »
I'm so sorry to hear that @OtherJen . Fingers crossed they haven't been infected. I have had several calls about potential exposure already, but I've avoided infection so far. I've always taken proper precautions and so far that has worked. But there's never any guarantee of course.

Despite the risks I also understand your mum wanting to get out every now and then. Sheltering in place is difficult for a lot of people for months and months on end with no end date in sight. My own mother, who is a couple of years younger and had Covid very early on, before lockdown, is struggling a lot with feelings of loneliness. I personally know healthy 30 year olds who have been very sick from Covid but also 75-year olds with health issues who have only had mild cold symptoms. So even if they are infected, it doesn't necessarily mean they're going to be extremely ill. But of course there is a risk and it is scary and there's little you can do now, except for praying maybe if that's something you believe in.

teen persuasion

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2020, 10:01:53 AM »
We've been happy and healthy.

I was WFH while my employer was completely closed (not much work then), and currently work on site only 1 week a month by myself (doing curbside checkout, so all interaction is phone/internet).  Employer stressed that we'd get our regular pay regardless of working or not.  We are meeting next week to hash out plans to partially open to the public soon.  I miss my colleagues, and some patrons, but there's an awful lot of non-compliance with masks ...

DH is a teacher - teaching from home in the spring was not terribly useful for anyone.  He got a reset for summer school, it's a bit better now (he's doing distance for the day students, but colleagues on the residential side are in person).  He's now going in to work 3 days a week, to broadcast his lessons from better internet in his classroom.  He expects to be 100% in person in September.  We are *this* close to FIRE; he's not sure if he really wants to go back or just bail - it's an alternative school, his students are NOT good rule followers.

DS5 is in HS; let's just say he's not self motivated for school.  This spring was a mess for learning.  He's happy to play video games or watch videos online all day.  Hasn't gone out running (he normally does XC) once.  The fall plan now seems to be M/T in school for him, rest of the time at home, other half go in Th/F.  He needs something to get him moving, but we are leery of throwing all the kids together after months of no contact.

DS4 has some classes at his U to finish up, but the system is not letting him register, it's unknown whether classes will be distance or in person, or even times scheduled.  So he's in limbo.  Can't find a job, either.

Overall, having DH and the younger boys home (DS4 since May) has been nice.  Normally I get a little cranky when school is out and they are home for extended times, but I realized that was because normally summer is my busy season and I'm just jealous they have free time and I'm busy, not that they are getting in my hair at home.  All home together is peaceful, without tons of deadlines imposed from outside.  I think we will do just fine when we FIRE.

Biggest cons have been the inability to travel to see our new grandson.  Free time off work, but can't go.  Also, we've been staying away from my parents, to keep them safe.  Once things opened up in the state, they wanted us to come visit a few times.  We are cautious, but how could you skip dad's 90th birthday?  Spent the day outside for a picnic at their house.  Once school reopens and no one is WFH, another visit is probably a poor idea.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2020, 10:32:22 AM »
I'm ok, not great. I live alone with my 2 cats. Had a cat die in May (adopted her in December, cancer out of the blue), adopted another new kitty in July and am working to get my existing cat to get over herself already and be friends. May was tough, but luckily the stay at home orders eased up just in the nick of time and I was able to see some friends before I really had any problems.

Am still working from home. This has made work easier, as I have some not great management and being away from the office helps a lot. My office has indicated that we're remote until October, but even then I suspect I'd still be majority remote, if not 100%. I don't really expect to be back in the office until 2021. There's some exec's who really don't like remote work, but it seems they like the liability of pulling people into the office too soon even less.

Overall, my mental health is apparently quite resilient. There is a limit however, and I've gotten close to those limits a few times. I'm currently dealing with a general lack of motivation. It's not really a problem, but it is annoying, there's a lot of stuff I'd like to do around the house and instead I'm on the couch watching Star Wars. I'm trying to be gentle to myself because these are extraordinary times, and beating myself up is really only going to make it worse. The fact that Arwen (cat) is getting better about accepting Rosie (new cat) will probably help, but am also dealing with some very annoying digestive issues from Rosie.

For those worried about SAD this winter - get a sun lamp, now. Before there's a run on them and they're completely out of stock.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2020, 11:00:14 AM »
I have lost track of the last time I had a proper day off. July 4th was the last day I didn't send an email, and last weekend alone I worked ~24 hours.

I'm tired...and salaried, with a covid pay cut for 2021 and a lost week of PTO for 2020 on top of my workload spiking hard.

@JLee I went through that too this summer, so you definitely have my sympathy. In many ways, but mostly because of work overload, poor leadership at my company, and loss of the already weak boundaries between work life and home life, this has been the least pleasant summer of my entire life. The situation has not been helped by the inability to either see my extended family or play the team sport that used to keep me fit and happy.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2020, 11:16:09 AM »
Well, my dh's university has taken this opportunity to cull the academic departments but save athletics, so dh's department has merged with another department and dh ends up not getting paid for 6 weeks. So there's that.

Plus he's so aggravated by the whole thing that whereas I thought it was going to pry him out of here next year he's about ready to quit now. We've gone ahead and bought a house in another state.

DH is a teacher - teaching from home in the spring was not terribly useful for anyone.  He got a reset for summer school, it's a bit better now (he's doing distance for the day students, but colleagues on the residential side are in person).  He's now going in to work 3 days a week, to broadcast his lessons from better internet in his classroom.  He expects to be 100% in person in September.  We are *this* close to FIRE; he's not sure if he really wants to go back or just bail - it's an alternative school, his students are NOT good rule followers.

@teen persuasion not sure where you live, but where I am I can't imagine kids coming back to school in person in September . . . ALL groups of students are bad rule followers!

@Cranky I think there is a fair amount of that going on here as well. We live quite close to a large university in a neighborhood where homes rarely are for sale due to the unmoving tenured faculty. A flurry of homes are hitting the market in late July and early August, though. Perhaps your husband is not the only one fed up by how university administrators are managing things?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 11:21:38 AM by Zamboni »

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2020, 11:34:36 AM »
I am unable to spin tales of woe because my life is pretty much the same. Other than the fact that my garden club and plant society events are all canceled, and that’s what I do for fun.

So I just have simpler, quieter, more personal activities of fun.

LibrarianFuzz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2020, 03:43:50 PM »
Introvert here with a sensory processing disorder - misophonia/misokinesia.

Life has gotten much better for me since the pandemic. It helps that I am single and childless.

I am no longer standing in a park-n-ride lot at 6:10am to board a commuter bus that ends up being standing room only. Assuming I was lucky enough to get a seat, I am no longer squished between two obese people, or having to sit with two men on either side of me, their legs pressed up against the side of my legs as they try to spread their own legs as wide as possible. No longer have to deal with involuntarily being in physical contact with a stranger that I do not want touching me for 2-3 hours a day while I ride the bus to and from work.

No longer going to a work environment where I have to listen to other people talk all day. No longer have people ask me insignificant questions that don't matter just so they have an excuse to start a conversation and then they can talk for the next 20 minutes.

No longer have to listen to irritating, useless coworker in the cubicle next to me eat an entire large-sized bag of in-the-shell sunflower seeds each day. ("crack"..."spit!"..."crack"..."spit!")

No longer arrive home so exhausted that I drop my work bags, lay down on the couch with all of my work clothes still on, immediately fall asleep at 6pm, and then wake up at 10:30pm, disoriented and confused. No longer feel despair knowing that I still have to spend the next hour or so doing work prep for the next day (unpack that day's work bags, make at least 2 meals that I will eat at work the following day - breakfast and lunch - make iced coffee and pack into glass jars so I can drink it at work the next day, wash dishes, tidy up house, pick out the next day's work outfit, etc.) and then go back to bed at 11:30pm to sleep until the alarm goes off at 5:15am.

No longer feel like my entire life consists of work and sleep. 

Now I work from home 4 days a week and go in 1 day a week.

My health has increased drastically. Sleep has stabilized. I go to bed at 8:30pm and I get up around 6:00 or 6:30am. I don't set an alarm, except for the 1 day a week I go to work. I wake up feeling rested. I've stopped compulsively yawning. The huge black circles under my eyes that have been there for years are gone. I have lost 15-20 pounds without really trying. I swear I look 5-10 years younger. Previous dysfunctional/depressive behavior has ceased.

Only negative? Due to shutdown/scaleback of the commuter bus, I now drive to work. I pay $25 a day to park in a downtown parking garage. So that's $100 a month in parking costs. Also, since I am a government worker, I've been hit with a 10% paycut to help balance the government's budget.

Less money, more health. Worth the tradeoff.

Wish I could do this forever. Oh wait, that's what FIRE is about. Someday I will be able to do this forever!

A mom

• Stubble
« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2020, 04:36:57 PM »
I am tired. Used to have a lot of alone time and now the little that I have is subject to interruption at any time. Family member with  very loud logorrhea living with us now due to pandemic. Isolated due to other health issues. Did I say I am tired?

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: August 09, 2020, 04:58:18 PM »
I am tired. Used to have a lot of alone time and now the little that I have is subject to interruption at any time. Family member with  very loud logorrhea living with us now due to pandemic. Isolated due to other health issues. Did I say I am tired?

I had never heard this word before. I looked it up, and it sure does explain a lot of interactions I've had with people who may have had it. Thank you for enlightening me!

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #81 on: August 09, 2020, 07:57:06 PM »
@LibrarianFuzz: Yes! Not having to set the alarm clock! I have been so chronically tired much of my life from getting woken up before my body was ready.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: August 09, 2020, 09:53:57 PM »
We had both just FIREd, moved to a new university town, and were about 8 months into life at the new place when COVID hit.  In that time we’d managed to pick up some volunteer gigs, were working out at the university fitness club, were meeting people, and probably had stuff on our calendar most nights of the week.

All of that has obviously come to a halt.  I miss some, but not all of it.

We are doing better than most and have the wherewithal to wait this out and stay safe, so mostly I feel fortunate.  I’m grateful we are weathering the storm in a new place.  We are closer to all of our family, and have better services here.  It’s the difference between rural versus urban.  We have lots of curbside pickup options for groceries, great restaurants for take out, a robust park and trail system, and a huge botanical garden within walking distance.  I like being able to look in on my elderly parents and know that they are a short car ride away.

I miss working out at the university and had just started sessions with a personal trainer.  I have been walking a lot, working in the garden, and using indoor exercise equipment.  I’ve lost 35 pounds since late January.  I want this to continue.

I took on a big urban garden plot close to home, and it’s been great for my physical and mental health.  I already loved gardening anyway, but I’ve been able to try new things and it’s a great setting.  I started an urban gardening course online through Oregon State University.  I’m loving it so far.

I miss traveling.  We canceled a trip to Europe and a long term stay in Colorado.  We finally decided to schedule a trip to the UP of Michigan in September.  We have a cottage to ourselves and will do our cooking onsite and pretty much isolate, but will have views and access to Lake Superior and surrounding parks.

The library is doing curbside pickup and I can get lots of books online.  I participate in an online book group. 

I don’t do online happy hours.  I tried once and thought it was stupid.  I occasionally sit outside at a friend’s house to chat, 6 feet away.  My garden is abundant, so I’ve enjoyed sharing with new friends.  I can at least show up, leave a care package, and say hi from a distance.  I’ve gone walking with friends and occasionally accompany one nearby friend on her nightly dog walk.  Her dog is tiny and freaking adorable, so I find it entertaining.  She grew up in an Eastern bloc country under communism so shares stories about hardships... that helps me get perspective.  She also tells me about foods from home, and now I’m trying to learn some of the recipes.

Early on I thought I would really get into watching concerts and performances online.  Not so much.  I really miss the live experience though.  It’s hard to top the Avett Brothers live.  Normally we have season football tickets and go to other sporting events.  I will miss that this fall, but will miss the performing arts even more.

And Facebook... love it or loathe it... For the most part I like it.  I like seeing the creative things friends are up to in isolation.  It helps me feel connected.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #83 on: August 09, 2020, 11:59:57 PM »
Overall I’m bored but low-level stressed. I recently finished my surgery training so am currently not exposed to covid+ patients. I wake up at nights thinking about my patient who died from it (specifically the conversations with his son about his father’s decline and ultimately death). I’ve seen plenty die before Covid, but the uncertainty in society I think is compounding this experience. My wife remains furloughed, and I am unsure when she will work normal hours again (she is a family physician). In two months I’ll be back in the hospital, hopefully it’ll slow down by then. The respite between jobs is welcomed, but I can see now the effects on society will be long-lasting. I was too busy working to notice until now. I hope you all stay safe.

marble_faun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #84 on: August 10, 2020, 07:30:05 AM »
Our fundamentals are okay: we are all healthy, no one we know personally has had covid, we can work from home, and our financial situation is fine.

So I feel like I don't have a right to complain.  But I do feel a deep sense of loss.

Our baby's grandparents are not getting to spend time with us during these sweet infant months.  They live far away, and it wouldn't be safe to travel. They are on the older side, and precious time for making memories is ticking by.

We have missed multiple family weddings.  Our family is very dispersed, and we have so few occasions to all get together.  I wish my relatives had rescheduled the celebrations for post-pandemic, but I get that there is no end in sight, and in the meantime they need to live their lives.  Still, this was a bummer. 

We started trying to buy a house in another state in early March.  That process became totally warped, as the real estate market became a frenzy as so many people wanted to be in the same semi-rural area that we had targeted. It became a HUGE seller's market. The property we bought is fine (and we are lucky to have found a place), but it is not even remotely what we had had in mind when we started the search, and we had to pay a premium for it.

Aside from real-estate dealings, we have been hunkered down for months, only leaving the house for walks outside and necessary errands.  Since covid could go on indefinitely, we want to start living fuller lives and branching out a bit more -- hanging out with friends in person (outside, from a safe distance), maybe having outings that aren't 100% "essential." But every time I do this, it feels nerve-wracking. We'll meet a friend, then they will want us to give them a ride in our car somewhere, which doesn't seem safe to us, but it's awkward to say no.  Or some stranger will walk toward us, sneezing, with a mask down around his neck.  And I just feel this deep frustration building up like -- It's been MONTHS!  Why do people still not understand how or why to wear masks?  And my sense of hopelessness about the selfishness and ignorance that has been on display is overwhelming. 

I spiral into despair about the lack of leadership and about everyone being so foolish, and it feels like life will be stunted forever.  I consciously have to push these kinds of thoughts out of my mind to be able to function day to day.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 07:31:41 AM by marble_faun »

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #85 on: August 10, 2020, 08:47:12 AM »
Our fundamentals are okay: we are all healthy, no one we know personally has had covid, we can work from home, and our financial situation is fine.

So I feel like I don't have a right to complain.  But I do feel a deep sense of loss.

Our baby's grandparents are not getting to spend time with us during these sweet infant months.  They live far away, and it wouldn't be safe to travel. They are on the older side, and precious time for making memories is ticking by.

We have missed multiple family weddings.  Our family is very dispersed, and we have so few occasions to all get together.  I wish my relatives had rescheduled the celebrations for post-pandemic, but I get that there is no end in sight, and in the meantime they need to live their lives.  Still, this was a bummer. 

We started trying to buy a house in another state in early March.  That process became totally warped, as the real estate market became a frenzy as so many people wanted to be in the same semi-rural area that we had targeted. It became a HUGE seller's market. The property we bought is fine (and we are lucky to have found a place), but it is not even remotely what we had had in mind when we started the search, and we had to pay a premium for it.

Aside from real-estate dealings, we have been hunkered down for months, only leaving the house for walks outside and necessary errands.  Since covid could go on indefinitely, we want to start living fuller lives and branching out a bit more -- hanging out with friends in person (outside, from a safe distance), maybe having outings that aren't 100% "essential." But every time I do this, it feels nerve-wracking. We'll meet a friend, then they will want us to give them a ride in our car somewhere, which doesn't seem safe to us, but it's awkward to say no.  Or some stranger will walk toward us, sneezing, with a mask down around his neck.  And I just feel this deep frustration building up like -- It's been MONTHS!  Why do people still not understand how or why to wear masks?  And my sense of hopelessness about the selfishness and ignorance that has been on display is overwhelming. 

I spiral into despair about the lack of leadership and about everyone being so foolish, and it feels like life will be stunted forever.  I consciously have to push these kinds of thoughts out of my mind to be able to function day to day.

Navigating social situations is HARD.  It takes really good communication, and strong boundaries.  We are struggling with one side of our family, the other side is respectful.  We had a fantastic weekend with my family.  We stayed in their small cabin (they have a larger house on the same property). They drove down their ATV to bring us beer (LOL) and showed up in masks, outside.  When we wanted to have dinner together for their anniversary, my dad cleaned out the garage that has lots of air flow, set up fans to blow germs OUT, and set up tables and chairs 10 plus feet apart.  It was so nice to have people who were willing to be as cautious as we are (we are the most cautious ones for sure!).  They didn't make snide comments or smirks when we did things awkwardly.    It has not been that way with my husband's parents.  The continually try to push boundaries, and it makes me not want to be around them.  It's frustrating.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #86 on: August 10, 2020, 11:29:36 AM »

Navigating social situations is HARD.  It takes really good communication, and strong boundaries.  We are struggling with one side of our family, the other side is respectful.  We had a fantastic weekend with my family.  We stayed in their small cabin (they have a larger house on the same property). They drove down their ATV to bring us beer (LOL) and showed up in masks, outside.  When we wanted to have dinner together for their anniversary, my dad cleaned out the garage that has lots of air flow, set up fans to blow germs OUT, and set up tables and chairs 10 plus feet apart.  It was so nice to have people who were willing to be as cautious as we are (we are the most cautious ones for sure!).  They didn't make snide comments or smirks when we did things awkwardly.    It has not been that way with my husband's parents.  The continually try to push boundaries, and it makes me not want to be around them.  It's frustrating.
It is really hard.

For my birthday this year, had to cancel my vacation.  So we had a "socially distanced" backyard get together: just wine or beer, and cake.

I only invited 6 couples. 

There was never more than 4 other people besides me (and hubby) in the backyard at once.

I had a 5 hour "window" to keep the people at a minimum.

So, first hour, four people (a couple  and two women whose husbands did not come).  Three of the four wore masks, and we were all 6' apart.

Later, one woman stopped by in a mask, 6' apart.

My neighbors left me a bottle of wine on the porch (and fresh eggs), and they weren't even invited!

At the very end of the day, the husband of the women above stopped by, in a mask, 6' distance.

Three days later the woman in the final couple came by...I think she got the day wrong.  Or not.  She's not very social.

Well, the one non-mask wearing women turned 65, and had a backyard get together.

Way too many people, close together, most not wearing masks, some indoors.  We dropped off a bottle of wine (wearing our masks), stayed outdoors except to pass through the house, and left after 15 minutes...it was just too risky for me.

marble_faun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #87 on: August 10, 2020, 12:37:13 PM »

It is really hard.

For my birthday this year, had to cancel my vacation.  So we had a "socially distanced" backyard get together: just wine or beer, and cake.

I only invited 6 couples. 

There was never more than 4 other people besides me (and hubby) in the backyard at once.

I had a 5 hour "window" to keep the people at a minimum.

So, first hour, four people (a couple  and two women whose husbands did not come).  Three of the four wore masks, and we were all 6' apart.

Later, one woman stopped by in a mask, 6' apart.

My neighbors left me a bottle of wine on the porch (and fresh eggs), and they weren't even invited!

At the very end of the day, the husband of the women above stopped by, in a mask, 6' distance.

Three days later the woman in the final couple came by...I think she got the day wrong.  Or not.  She's not very social.

Well, the one non-mask wearing women turned 65, and had a backyard get together.

Way too many people, close together, most not wearing masks, some indoors.  We dropped off a bottle of wine (wearing our masks), stayed outdoors except to pass through the house, and left after 15 minutes...it was just too risky for me.

Yes, this unpredictability with everyone being on a different page is what's so difficult. 

At least with friends you can at least TRY to establish boundaries up front, but then sometimes it doesn't work.  Like I told a close friend that we could hang out, but we would have to wear masks and stay outside.  Even then it got weird in person, because as we were talking, her mask started slipping down, and she showed no signs of raising it back up.  I finally had to interrupt the conversation to say, "Um, your mask is slipping!"  It felt really strange and abrupt.  A bit like having to say something when someone's fly is down or they have a piece of food stuck to their teeth.  Ugh.

With strangers it is worse.  Recently I dropped in to a store to run an errand, and another customer was there standing close to the staff members and yakking loudly at them with her mask down around her neck, despite all the signs saying WEAR A MASK.  I thought about saying something to her, but I thought it might lead to a belligerent encounter that would only extend the exposure of everyone in the store. It was a huge relief to get away from there. 

This kind of incident just leaves me feeling so trapped.  Like I need to scurry back to the safe zone of our house, rather than attempting anything fun in the world, because so many other people seem to just not care.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 03:11:58 PM by marble_faun »

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #88 on: August 10, 2020, 12:55:59 PM »
Like many it is a mixed bag....

Have been WFH since mid-March and learned last week that it will be at least through 2020 after the last goalpost that was at September 8th was moved.  We were given paycuts of various degrees depending on level in the company.  Mine was 10%, but it was reinstated starting 8/3, which is awesome.  We also have the opportunity to earn back the lost pay as basically a profit sharing option that will pay out whatever is earned at the end of the 1st quarter of 2021.  This was after we had been told the pay would just be lost given the lost sales, so again a wonderful blessing to even have this option.  I am very proud to work for the company I do especially as I watched many others do terrible things to people that they did not have to (like guilt people or force people into coming into the office even though their jobs could easily have been done remotely).

The school plans for us have changed nearly weekly, which is infuriating, as they try to keep everyone happy versus keeping everyone safe.  This is both with colleges and K-12.  Full fall sports was finally cancelled at the college conference level for the one that we are attending, while the local school still seem to be marching forward trying to have sports.

We've had the same politicization of masks here causing our governor to flip flop on things.  Locally I do not see any arguments but we've seen things at the capitol, so some in the state are making it a thing.  My mental health is impacted negatively as I struggle with staying away from the news to avoid getting infuriated about our president and just waiting for him to go away, but feeling that I need to be aware of how things are going in other areas that are easiest to stay current on with the news (local health orders etc.)  I am firmly set on my decisions for this upcoming election, so I just want it to get here so we can move on.  I pray a lot more for my fellow countrymen to stop the division and come together.  I could go on forever in this vein as I have done things I have never done my whole life because I feel so strongly the need to be more involved (donated to a campaign for the first time ever, volunteered to make phone calls for a campaign for the first time ever etc.)

We've had more time at home which has pros and cons as well.  More opportunity to get on each other's nerves, but also had some wonderful conversations about a whole lot of topics as the world churns.  Race, quality, policing, money and many other topics have been covered and continue every day.   Having the time to engage is nice.

On finances have been saving a lot more as we are spending a lot less.  Also helps us to get more comfortable with what we can do without and being forced to stop many things we did regularly we can determine what is really missed versus what has gone away and we think back "I have not done x in six months and I am just as happy".   Will likely drive a lot of new behaviors when things open up. 

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #89 on: August 10, 2020, 01:58:17 PM »

I related to very much of this post.

One thing I've done is be very, very up front with friends about how I'm feeling about Covid.  They know I am on what is a pretty extreme lockdown compared to most.  They know I'm struggling with anxiety and stress and fear.  That knowledge then buys me a lot of grace.  When a dear friend had a birthday gather this past weekend, I hated not being able to attend, but because she knew where I'm at with everything, she was expecting that response and accepted it graciously.  I sent flowers and she stopped by to chat and receive her gift (outside) the next day.  So I highly recommend talking about this with friends before hand, not in specifics but just so they know your comfort level is on the extra cautions side and that you are struggling a bit.  That way, they may not even ask for that ride, but if they do, assuming they are remotely considerate or thoughtful people, they will accept an, "I'm so sorry, but that's  bit less socially distance than I can do" with grace and ease.

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #90 on: August 10, 2020, 05:14:10 PM »
Dual workers with an 8 year old.

I was doing pretty well for the first few months on the work front, easier to focus on big things that need blocks of quiet time, harder to coordinate with the rest of the team (I am supposed to be one of the main coordinators, so yeah that sucks).  Lately my ability to focus at work is waning, which is not good.  My kid has a harder time leaving me alone for more than an hour unless I am on a conference call.

My wife was already WFH, and how she has two more here during the day, so that is rough on her.  She misses her silence.  She gets more family walks in the neighborhood, which she enjoys. We are frankly running out of things to chat about during the walks, with the kid tired of hearing about office gossip and use tired of hearing about Nintendo games.  She's cut her hours to be able to help with the kid more, which makes me feel like we are falling into a gender stereotype situation, which sucks.

My kid was weak on the social side before, and we know he is suffering as a result.  It is painful to realize you are trying hard and still being both a mediocre employee and a mediocre parent.  Energy to find engaging solo activities for the kid seem wasted.  He gets more out of occasional play dates with his friend whose family we trust just playing unstructured like a kid for a few hours than he does doing a reading/writing/cooking/crafting project we pour energy into.  Simply put Mom & Dad are not entirely what he needs right now.

Breaks from work are used to attend to the kid.  Most days it feels like I am "on" from ~7 AM to ~8 PM.  I've probably put on 10 lbs.  Hard to go for a bike ride after work you don't feel like you have the energy for when you know your kid wants you to play with him as soon as the clock hits 5 PM.  Then you have to break away from him to cook dinner.  8 PM rolls around and you once again find yourself slumped on the couch watching drivel.

The fall school situation just makes us sad.  The options we have are basically bad or worse.  My work colleagues in Germany are much more back to normal than we are, which is a painful reminder that if we handled this better, and if folks would just act responsibly we could be both more open and less sick at the same time.  Depressing stuff.  I expect we've got another 8-12 months of this before we have enough outbreaks to knock sense into enough folks to bring it down in numbers, or for there be a vaccine that will add enough herd immunity to make up for all of the folks who can't bring themselves to follow basic guidance.  Sucks to realize that with just a small portion acting invincible it ruins much of the sacrifices of the large majority doing what they can.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #91 on: August 11, 2020, 12:12:46 AM »
My son's neighborhood friend now has it and is now isolated in his bedroom. They talked online tonight and he said it was the sickest he has ever been for the last few days, but now he seems to be recovering. We are all rattled that the virus is so very close.

Why can't Americans just wear masks when they are inside interacting with people who aren't in their household? I really just don't get it.

Just this week I've had to deal with:
1. A contractor who refused to wear a mask. We won't be hiring him, obviously, but unfortunately I had to deal with him for some time before making my escape. I tried to keep my distance, and I wore my mask, but we were inside and he was a loud talker.
2. A family who insisted on bringing the entire brood to pick up take out. Their maskless kid kept running up to me to blurt his thoughts at me while I was waiting by the door. I get it that you are cooped up in your homes, folks, but any one of you adults in this extended family could have stayed home with your maskless motormouth spawn. And I normally like kids.

Ugh, this whole thing is making me an ugly person.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #92 on: August 11, 2020, 08:05:55 AM »
My son's neighborhood friend now has it and is now isolated in his bedroom. They talked online tonight and he said it was the sickest he has ever been for the last few days, but now he seems to be recovering. We are all rattled that the virus is so very close.

Why can't Americans just wear masks when they are inside interacting with people who aren't in their household? I really just don't get it.

Just this week I've had to deal with:
1. A contractor who refused to wear a mask. We won't be hiring him, obviously, but unfortunately I had to deal with him for some time before making my escape. I tried to keep my distance, and I wore my mask, but we were inside and he was a loud talker.
2. A family who insisted on bringing the entire brood to pick up take out. Their maskless kid kept running up to me to blurt his thoughts at me while I was waiting by the door. I get it that you are cooped up in your homes, folks, but any one of you adults in this extended family could have stayed home with your maskless motormouth spawn. And I normally like kids.

Ugh, this whole thing is making me feel like an ugly person.
FTFY. I'm pretty confident it's only temporary,  driven by the current circumstances. If it's any consolation, your reactions seem perfectly on point.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #93 on: August 11, 2020, 08:07:58 AM »

Wearing a mask should be like taking your shoes off.  Anyone not willing to take off their shoes or wear a mask can stay outside with the rest of the subhuman animals.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #94 on: August 11, 2020, 01:20:33 PM »
@LibrarianFuzz: Yes! Not having to set the alarm clock! I have been so chronically tired much of my life from getting woken up before my body was ready.

I experienced that too during the period where we were able to WFH. A retirement preview! Still waking up earlier than before and loving that.

Normally a happy housebody but the past week or so I just want to go places - eat out for example. Take a day trip to the city and do stuff. Can't. Shouldn't. COVID.

Have tons of things to do at home, resources to do them with, but last night I sat on the computer reading hobby forums, watched uninspiring TV, and went to bed. This morn our pets woke us up at dawn seemingly bored too.

I'm dedicated to the idea that tonight I'm doing something constructive or hobby like tonight. Cleaned out the car the other night and even that felt good.

Our introverted homebody teenager has expressed a desire to make friends at school but the social distancing and masks plus anxiety about all things social makes it hard. Meanwhile the school system is open and 100 kids plus staff have been sent home b/c they've tested positive for COVID or they've spent time with someone at school who tested positive.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 02:09:53 PM by Just Joe »

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #95 on: August 12, 2020, 05:17:35 AM »

I experienced that too during the period where we were able to WFH. A retirement preview! Still waking up earlier than before and loving that.

Normally a happy housebody but the past week or so I just want to go places - eat out for example. Take a day trip to the city and do stuff. Can't. Shouldn't. COVID.

Have tons of things to do at home, resources to do them with, but last night I sat on the computer reading hobby forums, watched uninspiring TV, and went to bed. This morn our pets woke us up at dawn seemingly bored too.

I'm dedicated to the idea that tonight I'm doing something constructive or hobby like tonight. Cleaned out the car the other night and even that felt good.

Our introverted homebody teenager has expressed a desire to make friends at school but the social distancing and masks plus anxiety about all things social makes it hard. Meanwhile the school system is open and 100 kids plus staff have been sent home b/c they've tested positive for COVID or they've spent time with someone at school who tested positive.

I’m also feeling restless this week. Too many other people are out and about with seemingly no consequences, and my inner 5-year-old is stomping her foot and shouting, “Not fair!” For me, I think it’s the realization that summer is winding down and that I’ve missed out on a lot of the usual fun things like family reunions (all cancelled) and camping trips (capacity crowds at state parks aren’t appealing).

A few things that have helped this week: hobby work, for sure.
Taking the bike out to a metropark with a well-maintained bike trail for a long ride through the wildflower fields—hadn’t done that one this summer because of reports of big crowds at other metroparks, but this one is less popular and underused.
Visiting a local historical park for the first time this season (we buy annual memberships, but it was closed this year until early July).
And last night, we decided that we wanted to eat at a restaurant for the first time since husband’s birthday in early March (we’ve gotten takeout a few times since then). One of our favorites has a nice patio and wasn’t crowded, even though the weather was perfect. That was a fantastic treat.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #96 on: August 12, 2020, 07:17:31 AM »
Contractors in the house right now, doing debris removal and some repairs from our basement flood and the rain inside the kitchen and sun porch.  I made it clear to the landlord that he should tell them ahead of time that they must be masked at all times when in my home, and if they are not, I will send them away immediately.  They have done so, and I'm sitting my living room wear a mask.  All the doors are open as they carry stuff out, so it is hot and humid in here, and it sucks to be masked in my home, but I want to show them the same courtesy they show me (or that I demanded the show me!).  Once they are done carrying stuff up from the basement, I may go upstairs for a bit and unmask.   I need to make sure they don't inadvertently carry out anything we want to keep. 

So I'm wearing a mask, which I momentarily removed from one ear periodically so I can sip my morning tea.  Strange times. 

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #97 on: August 12, 2020, 07:48:01 AM »
I teach community college and my hours at work for the last 8 weeks of the spring semester went from 35 hours/week to 60 hours/week, so that sucked.

The ski resorts closed. I'm buying back country gear for this upcoming season in case they close again. We had a vacation planned to Hawaii in April, which we voluntarily cancelled, which was disappointing.

My 3-year old son qualifies for state funded pre-school because he is a little speech delayed. They are going on-line in the fall. That is disappointing because I was hoping his speech would increase when he has the chance to play with other kids. In the mean time, we will have to plan more play dates with friends and family.

Financially, over the past 12 months, I think our net worth increase from around 675K to 775K, which is pretty consistent with the previous two years. This is good news considering that I took a 30% pay cut to move closer to family.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #98 on: August 12, 2020, 02:23:36 PM »
I'm stuck in quarantine for two weeks. 50+ Soldiers in a large open tent with a bunch of cots. Luckily we have free WiFi and most of the guys prepared by downloading movies and TV shows to watch. We can leave the tent to walk outside in a small area to use the shower trailer or port-a-porties. Hot breakfast and dinner but an MRE for lunch.

10-15 years ago before everyone had smart phones this probably would have meant a lot of time playing card games (still happening) or finding other ways to pass the time.

Home Stretch

• Stubble
« Reply #99 on: August 12, 2020, 09:21:05 PM »
I FIREd last year, and my wife and I had our first baby right before this whole COVID mess started.

We had never been happier than the time between me leaving my job and COVID starting. We had a trip fully booked to spend 6 weeks in Austria to escape the summer heat here. Lots of friends/family had already committed to visiting us at our Airbnb apartment there. It was going to be an epic adventure with our new daughter, and a way to prove to ourselves that we could still travel as new parents. Instead, all that went out the window, and it's been gradually eroding my mental state just sitting around with nothing to look forward to.

I've lately been really getting frustrated with the lockdown orders, since it seems like the goalposts have moved from just trying to flatten the curve (which we have), to everyone having to wait for a vaccine to be widely available before life and travel can go back to normal.

Life is for living, and I feel like I'm just existing right now.