Author Topic: How is the pandemic personally affecting you?  (Read 15677 times)

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
Re: How is the pandemic personally affecting you?
« Reply #150 on: August 20, 2020, 07:49:56 PM »
I'm also fairly introverted, and am doing ok, but I think there's a big difference between quarantining with a partner/family and quarantining alone.  I live alone and have had to go months without any physical contact with another human.  That gets really hard.  I've fully leaned in to socializing over video chat, though, and am finding it surprisingly satisfying most of the time.

G-String

• Bristles
« Reply #151 on: August 30, 2020, 01:37:29 PM »
My partner is seriously getting on my nerves. We're both working from home and have our home offices in bedrooms right next to eachother. She's not as busy at work as I am and likes to "pop in" on me whenever she feels like and thinks me being at home means I'm always available to her.  It's starting to cause issues in our relationship when I try to set boundaries. I think I'll be moving my home office to the basement soon.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 06:45:34 PM by Garrett B. »

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #152 on: August 30, 2020, 06:09:14 PM »
I’m confined to my home for 14 days under penalty of criminal prosecution and a very big fine. I am quite unhappy with how the state government has handled this.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #153 on: August 30, 2020, 06:17:58 PM »
My partner is seriously getting on my nerves. We're both working from home and have our home offices in bedrooms right next to eachother. She's not as busy at work as I am and likes to "pop in" on me whenever she feels like and thanks me being at home means I'm always available to her.  It's starting to cause issues in our relationship when I try to set boundaries. I think I'll be moving my home office to the basement soon.

Oh, hugs. It can be so hard to make changes in how you interact with each other.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #154 on: August 30, 2020, 07:52:01 PM »
Unfortunately I return to work full time in person tomorrow.  I am dreading it so much.  Recently the coworkers and management have been beyond unreasonable, needy, rude and the opposite of helpful.  I have 7 years until retirement. 

Pros: 
OT on my on weeks at work is nice. 
My mother and I are Zoom proficient now.
I have been able to do a lot of onerous adulting tasks on my off weeks that I would’ve had to do on the weekends if I were working a normal schedule. 

Cons: 
OMGosh the road rage I’ve seen!  Like for example, an older model Mercedes tried to wreck me twice last Monday on my drive to work after a merge gone wrong.  Then today as I was crossing the street as a pedestrian an irate soccer mom in a gold sedan angrily joked and gestures at me for...crossing a street. 
At times I think my employer is trying to kill us all. 
I have older, at-risk friends I haven’t seen since February.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #155 on: August 31, 2020, 07:24:49 AM »
I’m confined to my home for 14 days under penalty of criminal prosecution and a very big fine. I am quite unhappy with how the state government has handled this.

Very strange that they would confine you to your home for no reason at all.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #156 on: August 31, 2020, 07:42:44 AM »

Yeah, I suspect there's more to the story.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #157 on: August 31, 2020, 08:02:24 AM »

In my country it's currently not legally possible to force someone to quarantaine, so people are just "strongly advised" to do so. You can't be fired from your job if you go into quarantaine and in most cases you still get paid by your employer. Still,  it's a massive problem that many people choose not to. I wish my government was able to enforce quarantaine somehow. Yes, that means the government interfering in our personal lives, but I think it's quite comparable to the ban on drunk driving.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #158 on: August 31, 2020, 02:43:32 PM »

There is.

https://www.hawaiitourismauthority.org/covid-19-updates/

They have been pushing back the pre-travel testing program that was promised for July for months now.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #159 on: August 31, 2020, 02:54:04 PM »

There is.

https://www.hawaiitourismauthority.org/covid-19-updates/

They have been pushing back the pre-travel testing program that was promised for July for months now.

Seems like a pretty clearly stated protocol. Hawaii's numbers are ramping (source), and if the ICUs become overloaded it's not like patients can be driven into the next state.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #160 on: September 01, 2020, 07:13:45 AM »
I'm an introvert.

Any introvert who says "oh joy, this is the glory days!" is a psychopath.
Even introverts need social interaction. Put them in solitary confinement for a while, see what happens.

Psychopath checking in!

While I wouldn't exactly say that this is the glory days, our family has been isolating since the pandemic started and the lack of social interaction hasn't bothered me at all.  Simply having my family (wife and kid) around provides all the social interaction that I need as an introvert.

After my first year university I took a summer shift job working from 10:00pm - 6:00am every night while living on my own.  Because of the hours I pretty much went four months with no human interaction of any kind.  That was a little weird.   I caught myself having conversations with nobody on a regular basis, and started to feel emotionally connected with objects.  It was weird.  :P

LOL, this has a very Cast Away vibe.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!