Author Topic: How do you oatmeal?  (Read 178564 times)

OccamsPhaco

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
How do you oatmeal?
« on: April 26, 2018, 01:39:10 PM »
So I figured I'd try out some oatmeal after seeing MMM mention it a few times on the blog, and I've just got to say, I'm a believer now.

Got the cheapest, plainest container I could find just to give it a shot and assumed it would be something terrible to choke down. But damn! Whole milk, crushed walnuts, some honey and it was great. Not only that, but extremely filling for a long time. Been having it either for breakfast or lunch every work day now for a couple of weeks, and I've watched my weight decrease on my weight tracking app after having plateaued for awhile.

So I've got a good cheap and easy food that seems to be pulling a few pounds off of me as well, but I think I could make it tastier. Fruits? Vanilla? Cinnamon? Buying the pre-flavored stuff? Granola?Somebody must have some good oatmeal tips. 

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
Re: How do you oatmeal?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 01:51:13 PM »
I don't sweeten my oatmeal, but obviously the full set of sweeteners are available to you -- maple, molasses, etc.

Cardamom is my favorite oatmeal spice. Cinnamon's nice too, as are any of the warm dessert-y spices (nutmeg, mace, etc).

Dried cherries + coconut flakes. Fresh blueberries. A banana (especially with cinnamon, maybe a little honey if you want some sweet). Really, almost any fruit cut up into chunks. ;)

Peanut butter. PBJ some mornings, hehe. Small pecan or pistachio chunks. I like adding flax seeds or other small nutty seeds sometimes too, for a bit of bite and extra flavor. I don't like big nuts or chunks of granola added in, because I prefer my oatmeal to generally be smoother.

I've done a tiny dash of vanilla before, but it has to be done carefully so you don't overdo it. I've been considering trying a rosewater variant (rosewater, cardamom, pistachio?) but have't done it yet. These types of oatmeals sometimes feel very dessert-y to me -- like a chocolate oatmeal, which an old housemate used to make -- and that can feel off to me for breakfast.

I find that oatmeal is a great place to do flavor experimentation --  if you're wondering if two flavors go together, oatmeal is a great flavor vehicle because it has a mild flavor of its own and it's made in small enough amounts that you can afford to play around.

powersuitrecall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 01:56:18 PM »
A small victory for us has been getting the kids on board with oatmeal in the morning instead of cheerios or other crappy cereals.  We do it up with peanut butter, brown sugar and/or honey.  Super simple.

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 01:56:41 PM »
I have mine plain with whole milk. I used to have semi-skimmed which is also good, but my brother agreed to switch to whole (which I also used to get at uni). I am weird and like to cook mine to a very solid consistency as I like the texture better, but I know a lot of people prefer it more creamy.

I eat it every day, except when I'm travelling and they don't have any.

Free Spirit

• Stubble
  • Be water, my friend.
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 02:02:41 PM »
Pinhead oats with a pat of butter, dash of cream, and a healthy pinch of salt. I'll swirl in some maple syrup if I'm feelin' extra fancy.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 02:07:16 PM »
1.  Banana whipped oats: 1/4 c oats, 1/4 c water, 1/4 milk, 1/2 banana finely chopped, dash salt.  Cook, stirringly constantly, until fluffy.  Add a dash of vanilla and a TBSP of peanut butter (if you are a bigger eater, go 1/3 c each)

2.  Overnight oats: 1/4 c oats, 1/4 c milk, 1/4 c yogurt, tsp chia seeds, sprinkle cinnamon, fruit (bananas, berries, frozen berries, raisins, whatever).  Let sit in fridge overnight.  Stir.  Add in nuts or nut butter in the morning.

3.  Granola.  Oats, cinnamon, chopped nuts, seeds, coconut, mashed banana, olive oil, honey or maple syrup.  Mix it, baked at 300F stirring every 10 minutes until it looks good.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 02:15:15 PM »
Google refrigerator oatmeal it is super easy and makes a great breakfast.

My wife was vehemently opposed to trying it and said that it would be gross but I made a batch and now she loves it keeps asking me to make more.

I started with this one (doubled the quantity) but have changed it up to many different varieties over time.

https://www.theyummylife.com/recipes/220

Some variations that I have tried that we're a big hit.

Frozen black cherries and a teaspoon of blueberry jelly instead of the blueberries and maple syrup.

Frozen peaches and vanilla

Rasberry and a teaspoon of blueberry jelly

Typically I will setup the jars with the oatmeal, chia seeds on the weekend (10 min) and then every couple of days I will fill a few days worth with the wet ingredients.

Also I do not do well with too much dairy so we use vanilla almond milk

Not only does it taste great it is pretty inexpensive, we buy the oats in bulk and other ingredients based on what is on a special or seasonal.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OccamsPhaco

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 02:18:19 PM »
These are all great suggestions! Peanut butter? Blueberry jelly? Coconut? I've got experimental oatmeal ideas for a couple of weeks now when I didn't even think anyone would comment. Great work, mustachians.

OccamsPhaco

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 02:22:33 PM »
Cook, stirringly constantly, until fluffy. 

See I haven't even broken the bonds of the microwave yet. I guess stovetop will be the next attempt, as it'll give a little more control over things.

scissorbill

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 02:23:48 PM »
50 lb sack for $63 from Honeyville
With a spoon full of peanut butter and a dash of cinnamon

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 02:30:59 PM »
Oh, yeah: to clarify the above, the way I eat mine is porridge. Pour rolled oats in dish, pour milk on top of porridge, microwave for around 2 minutes and then a bit more. If you want it runnier/creamier, add more milk.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2018, 02:31:42 PM »
Old fashioned oats with hot water from the tap.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2018, 02:33:28 PM »
These are all great suggestions! Peanut butter? Blueberry jelly? Coconut? I've got experimental oatmeal ideas for a couple of weeks now when I didn't even think anyone would comment. Great work, mustachians.

Oatmeal is cheap, filling, and healthy -- one of those ultimately Mustachian foods. Of course we all came out of the woodwork. :)

And yes, go for the stovetop life sometime! It makes an even tastier oatmeal, imo, and hey... the less you use the microwave, the more you can axe it from your life and sell it on Craigslist. :3

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2018, 02:38:03 PM »
the less you use the microwave, the more you can axe it from your life and sell it on Craigslist. :3

I ought to try stovetop for taste and badassity, instead of being lazy, really. Tbf, whilst porridge is the only thing I use the microwave for, there is absolutely 0% chance I would be able to convince the rest of my family to sell the microwave.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2018, 02:39:45 PM »
the less you use the microwave, the more you can axe it from your life and sell it on Craigslist. :3

I ought to try stovetop for taste and badassity, instead of being lazy, really. Tbf, whilst porridge is the only thing I use the microwave for, there is absolutely 0% chance I would be able to convince the rest of my family to sell the microwave.

What about reheating leftovers?

I use mine mostly on the weekends to reheat the coffee I forgot to drink 9 times.

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2018, 02:42:06 PM »

What about reheating leftovers?

I use mine mostly on the weekends to reheat the coffee I forgot to drink 9 times.
Frozen leftovers, while microwave is convenient, can technically be defrosted by leaving them on the side from earlier. But honestly, there are 4 adults living here right now. Most of the time we just cook the right amount of food to start with and don't have any leftovers. It might be more of an issue if I was living alone.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2018, 02:45:27 PM »
Oh, also mixed into blender drinks. Banana, oatmeal, peanut butter, milk. Basically the same ingredients you would cook it with but blend it up and chug to save time.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 02:35:03 PM by Dabnasty »

grandep

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2018, 02:51:29 PM »

Oatmeal is cheap, filling, and healthy -- one of those ultimately Mustachian foods. Of course we all came out of the woodwork. :)

And yes, go for the stovetop life sometime! It makes an even tastier oatmeal, imo, and hey... the less you use the microwave, the more you can axe it from your life and sell it on Craigslist. :3

I'm all for tastier oatmeal, but.... using the microwave takes 2 minutes with no dirty dishes afterward (except for the bowl itself). That's hard to beat. How long does it take you to cook your oatmeal on the stove?

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2018, 03:19:22 PM »
I bring steel-cut oats to a boil the night before, turn off the heat, cover the pot & shove it to the back of the stove, and go to bed. In the morning I put it back on the burner to warm up, and mix in the goodies, and eat them out of the pot. One dish, and I wasn't going to get away from that anyway :-)

I don't find it burdensome. I guess it takes a couple minutes more than the microwave, but I'm using that time to make coffee and the rest of my breakfast anyway. And they're always perfect.

It ain't elegant, I guess, but neither am I.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2018, 03:26:55 PM »
One-quarter cup regular rolled oats, one-half cup milk, an ounce of chopped walnuts. Microwave one minute and thirty seconds on high. I eat it with a cup of tea and some protein on the side--usually two tablespoons of peanut butter--just eat it off the spoon. Might have a hard boiled egg with it instead.

It is good made on the stovetop, but too much clean up.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2018, 03:29:51 PM »
I cook regular or thick-cut rolled oats in water on the stove top.

I can't do sweet breakfast (unless I want a sugar crash after a couple of hours), so I like to mix a bit of butter, salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder in the pan, plus about an ounce of shredded sharp cheddar per serving. Steamed broccoli or other leftover veggies are a good mix-in, and I like to add leftover shredded meat or a fried egg on top.

CupcakeGuru

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2018, 03:50:05 PM »
I cook rolled oats and add brown sugar and dried fruit! I keep it at work and it takes about 3 minutes total to make. Delicious!

Dr.Optimus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2018, 03:55:32 PM »
Love oatmeal!  I keep it simple - Quick oats with cinnamon and milk, microwave for convenience.  Sometimes I add vanilla protein powder (especially if it's a workout day), then top with a generous portion of peanut butter. 

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2018, 04:12:52 PM »

I'm all for tastier oatmeal, but.... using the microwave takes 2 minutes with no dirty dishes afterward (except for the bowl itself). That's hard to beat. How long does it take you to cook your oatmeal on the stove?

From start to finish, typically around 10-15 minutes; depends on if I do rolled or steel cut oats. While the oatmeal is cooking, I'll do other stuff -- put away dishes, get work stuff ready, feed the cat, cut up a banana, whatever. I do have to clean the pan after, which is vaguely annoying, but I just let it soak in some water and do it with the rest of the day's dishes.

I just realized that I could also just... eat oatmeal out of the pan. I am not opposed to this, hmm.

I should note that stovetop breakfast works really well for me because I prioritize a very non-rushed morning. I cook myself a hot breakfast pretty much every day. If I had to rush out the door within half an hour of waking up, I wouldn't be eating at home at all.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2018, 04:44:20 PM »
My wife cooks it like no one I have ever seen.
 She uses a small shallow fry pan, and cooks it until it is
dry and a slightly browned on one side, turns it over
and cooks the other side until slightly browned.
 Then she will put leftovers on top.
  The leftovers  could be some type of fish, catfish or
Spanish Mackerel, or pork chop or some beef. She has even
put Spam on her oatmeal.  I have had them all, all are good.

May2030

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2018, 05:09:13 PM »
Oatmeal and water 90 seconds in microwave and throw in some grapes.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2018, 05:10:08 PM »
My dh insisted for many years that he hated oatmeal, so the kids and I ate it for winter breakfasts and occasional dinners, and left him out. And then he actually tasted real oatmeal, cooked on the stove with cinnamon and raisins and a little butter and some brown sugar, and now he's first up in the oatmeal line. Turns out his mom only made the microwave stuff.

KBCB

• Stubble
  • Burning to Fire
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2018, 05:20:31 PM »
I am an oatmeal snob. If I am cooking oats any brand will do but with overnight oats Quaker oats are truly amazing. There are different texture/tastes. Since this is a pretty cheap in general I do buy the one I like which is more expensive.
Overnight oats are a game changer and are amazing! Some PB, fruit and soak in milk and YUM!

Mikila

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2018, 05:34:28 PM »
I am always trying to increase my iron and potassium intake, so I add 1 T. blackstrap molasses to 1.5 C. of Old Fashioned Oats and a 1/4 cup of milk/soymilk.  Then it supplies 50% of my recommended iron amount and 680 mg out of 3500 of potassium.  Score!  Sometimes I eat another T. of molasses while it is cooking, for added benefit. 

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2018, 06:04:27 PM »
I use old fashioned oats, cinnamon, teeny amount of brown sugar, vanilla, almonds, and unsweetened applesauce. microwave on high for 8 minutes, stirring every 2, and get

granola!

I freeze it.
Take out a cup, throw some frozen blueberries on top., microwave 1 1/2 minutes. Then, add some vanilla yogurt. Yummy.

Fat is minimal because of the applesauce instead of oil.

Sometimes I make muesli at night, to eat in the morning (oatmeal, yogurt, add fruit in the am)

Free Spirit

• Stubble
  • Be water, my friend.
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2018, 06:11:40 PM »
My wife cooks it like no one I have ever seen.
 She uses a small shallow fry pan, and cooks it until it is
dry and a slightly browned on one side, turns it over
and cooks the other side until slightly browned.
 Then she will put leftovers on top.
  The leftovers  could be some type of fish, catfish or
Spanish Mackerel, or pork chop or some beef. She has even
put Spam on her oatmeal.  I have had them all, all are good.

This sounds a lot like Skirlie. Yum!

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2018, 06:12:16 PM »
Steel cut oats cooked using the America’s Test Kitchen recipe, generally with a tablespoon of cinnamon and I use avocado oil rather than butter to sautee the oats. I make double or triple batches and keep in the fridge to nuke for breakfast.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2018, 06:20:39 PM »
My husband and kid like it with greek yogurt mixed in, but I prefer vanilla protien powder. Either way, in my opinion the key is to use at least 1/2 milk as the liquid (vs all water) and to use the Rolled Oats, not quick. They take 5-6 min to cook instead of 2 but that gives you time to start the coffee.

one piece at a time

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2018, 06:28:15 PM »
Rolled oats soaked overnight in the fridge with Whey protein powder (to avoid casein protein which causes sinus problems for me if consumed everyday). @ minutes in the microwave to warm it up.

Previously I've boiled the oats properly with olive oil and salt. That is quite delicious but doesn't keep me full for as long as the Whey. 

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2018, 07:26:44 PM »

I cook my oats on the stovetop, and it takes me less than 2 minutes.  Induction ranges are hella fast at heating up water (I prefer water instead of milk), and after I put the oats and water in the pot and turn it on, I get the bowl from the cabinet and grab a spoon from the drawer, and boom, it's boiling.  I grab the container of sliced almonds and cinnamon, and give the pan a stir, and it's practically done.  I scoop it around once or twice more, spoon it into the bowl, sprinkle the cinnamon, toss a handful of sliced almonds, add in some blueberries (fresh or dried), and drop the pot in the sink.  I fill the pot with water right away, and once I'm done eating, it's one or two swipes and it's clean.  Seriously easy to clean and takes about 10 more seconds than the bowl alone.

Granted, if I'm making more than one serving, it takes another minute to cook, but it's faster than cooking multiple microwave single serving bowls.  But heck, when my kids have decided on oatmeal after I've made my own, I can cook up servings for them super fast, too.  It's super super easy.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2018, 07:27:45 PM »
A small victory for us has been getting the kids on board with oatmeal in the morning instead of cheerios or other crappy cereals.  We do it up with peanut butter, brown sugar and/or honey.  Super simple.

Awesome.  My kids still prefer Honey Nut Cheerios.  But they do go for oatmeal now and then.  I usually let them add chocolate chips and brown sugar.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2018, 08:02:32 PM »
Frozen blueberries and cinnamon is my go-to. Add the blueberries to the oatmeal and water and microwave for 2:30. Sometimes I add flax, other spices (ginger, cloves, turmeric, nutmeg), slivered almonds or chopped walnuts. Sometimes I switch the blueberries for frozen peaches or mixed berries, or fresh bananas (added after cooking).

dougstash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2018, 08:13:06 PM »
I like to add a little bit of brown sugar, banana slices, blueberries, almonds... the possibilities are endless!   I should really be eating more oatmeal. 

Bendigirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2018, 08:42:14 PM »
Steel cut oats (love the texture) with a spoon of coconut oil and fresh blueberries and pecans (used to be walnuts but an allergy arose)

afox

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2018, 09:42:57 PM »
Ive been rolling my own oats from whole oat groats every morning for the past 15 years.  I get the groats in a 50 pound bag about once a year for about $50.  I eat the oats every day because they're cheap, healthy, convenient, and they make me shit on a regular schedule.  Depending on what i put on them, sometimes they taste good too, usually just milk and honey.  I have this oat roller, it works like new after 15 years of daily use: http://thewholetruth.org/res_oat.asp

Stachless

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2018, 09:53:44 PM »
I like to crack 2 eggs into 1/2 c oatmeal, stir it up good, add blueberries and/or peanutbutter, microwave for 2 minutes, add whole milk and perhaps a few dark chocolate chips.  Don't knock it till ya tried it!

cl_noll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2018, 09:55:58 PM »
Steel Cut.  Cooked in my pressure cooker with salt and a dab o butter if I remember. I make one cup dry at a time, then portion it out for 4-5 days.

Then I eat it cold, mixed with homemade whole milk yogurt, fruit, nuts, cinnamon, and various other things.

I have no interest in going back to rolled oats!

MoustacheDArgent

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2018, 09:57:16 PM »
Bob's Red Mill quick cooking oats cooked in the microwave with silk no sugar added soymilk

then add sliced banana, goji berries, cinnamon, matcha, golden flaxseed meal, amla powder and nutritional yeast.

the banana is what really makes it taste good.

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2018, 10:10:34 PM »
All those fancy recipes sound like so. much. work. Cook, simmer, stir, mix, slice fruit, top with whipped cream, what-have-you. Try to remember to prep the night before? Not gonna happen. Have to be tied to the kitchen for 2 minutes waiting for the microwave? Nope, that's too long, or not short enough; 120 seconds is just...not long enough to accomplish anything else meaningful, and foreeeeeeeever when you're just standing there waiting for it to be done. I want it NOW, lol! Also, I'm usually up way earlier than the rest of the house, and microwave whirring and beeping is not what I want waking my school-aged kidlets before their time.

One of the reasons I love oatmeal is that it's EASY. (I mean, it's also tasty, and filling, and nutritious, but let's face it-- I'm lazy). I pour rolled oats in a bowl, put a spoonful of brown sugar, pour in some milk, and eat. It's only one step more involved than cheerios (scoop of sugar), and about 300 times more filling/nutritious.

If I don't have milk on hand, I use boiling water instead of milk, and let it sit by itself for 5-20 minutes to cook and cool to an edible temperature (meanwhile I do morning routine stuff).

Yes, fruit/nuts/chocolate/spices are all amazing and delicious add-ins. Then again, I'm not a "let's have a soothing morning ritual of putting my breakfast together" kind of person. I have stuff to accomplish, and I just haven't found any other breakfast option even remotely approaching the same level of easy/quick/cheap/good. If there was, I'd be happy to switch.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2018, 10:27:45 PM »
My breakfast usually consists of: 1/3 to 1/2 cup of plain Quaker oatmeal, just enough water to submerge the oats in the bowl, microwave for 2 minutes. Add some brown sugar for flavoring, raisins, a small amount of butter, and almost a tablespoon of peanut butter. Stir the peanut butter until melted into the oats and enjoy. 

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2018, 10:41:52 PM »
All those fancy recipes sound like so. much. work. Cook, simmer, stir, mix, slice fruit, top with whipped cream, what-have-you. Try to remember to prep the night before? Not gonna happen. Have to be tied to the kitchen for 2 minutes waiting for the microwave? Nope, that's too long, or not short enough; 120 seconds is just...not long enough to accomplish anything else meaningful, and foreeeeeeeever when you're just standing there waiting for it to be done. I want it NOW, lol! Also, I'm usually up way earlier than the rest of the house, and microwave whirring and beeping is not what I want waking my school-aged kidlets before their time.

One of the reasons I love oatmeal is that it's EASY. (I mean, it's also tasty, and filling, and nutritious, but let's face it-- I'm lazy). I pour rolled oats in a bowl, put a spoonful of brown sugar, pour in some milk, and eat. It's only one step more involved than cheerios (scoop of sugar), and about 300 times more filling/nutritious.

If I don't have milk on hand, I use boiling water instead of milk, and let it sit by itself for 5-20 minutes to cook and cool to an edible temperature (meanwhile I do morning routine stuff).

Yes, fruit/nuts/chocolate/spices are all amazing and delicious add-ins. Then again, I'm not a "let's have a soothing morning ritual of putting my breakfast together" kind of person. I have stuff to accomplish, and I just haven't found any other breakfast option even remotely approaching the same level of easy/quick/cheap/good. If there was, I'd be happy to switch.
I almost posted about the fridge oatmeal in your sub $200 grocery post because it is so easy to make.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2018, 10:50:43 PM »
Instant, in milk, with fresh or frozen berries, with butter or coconut oil, and one handful walnuts.

There are some great ideas here, if I ever become motivated by my copious morning free time i should try some of them.

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2018, 12:36:45 AM »
Rolled oats + cold milk + spoon.

I didn't realise people cooked oats until my 20s.

Zola.

• Bristles
  • Let's do this.
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2018, 01:44:46 AM »
oats, milk, frozen blueberries, 2 mins in the microwave

oats, milk and cinnamon, 2 mins in the microwave

chemistk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2018, 05:41:26 AM »
I'm being completely honest when I say this - but I prefer mostly dry!

I take about half a serving of plain or multi-grain cheerios, then throw about 1/3 cup of old fashioned oats on top. Add a heaping tablespoon of peanut butter to that. Microwave it (dry) for 45 seconds to 1 minute, stir it up, then throw a splash of almond milk on it (it does need some moisture).

That's my daily breakfast, eaten in the car. On the weekends I might add some vanilla, berries, nuts, etc, but the base is always the same.

Yes, I know it's strange. I generally can't stand wet cereal (went from age 4 to 24 eating cereal dry, plain).

I will occasionally actually prepare the oats, but my standard way is just too efficient.