Author Topic: How do you motivate yourself to work 1,000 more days?  (Read 31704 times)

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
Re: How do you motivate yourself to work 1,000 more days?
« Reply #100 on: July 05, 2019, 08:38:01 AM »
And that was when they were private transactions and not a government loan.
Somewhere along the line the government took over student loans. Stupid!

Private student loans also aren't dischargeable under current law (BAPCPA of 2005). Furthermore, the US Government got involved in student lending in 1965.

Additionally, the US Government has been involved in the mortgage market since 1934 but no one says that mortgage debt shouldn't be dischargeable in bankruptcy.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 10:09:55 AM by PDXTabs »

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #101 on: July 05, 2019, 08:57:52 AM »
All I can add is, that at least with mortgages, there is normally some collateral to help cushion the loss. Not so with student loans, unless you say the education acquired to pay off that loan.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #102 on: July 05, 2019, 09:54:44 AM »
A lot of the democratic presidential candidates are talking about removing the burden of having college educated workers paying off their student loans. i.e. making the 51% of the US population that actually pays taxes pay for their debt, many of those without a college education or having already paid them off. You take the loan, it's your responsibility, not mine.

I mostly agree with you, but you are ignoring the fact is that for the entire 20th century student loan debt was dischargeable in bankruptcy. Bankruptcy which was written into the constitution because the founding fathers remembered the debt prisons of the old world.

The radically leftist policy of just forgiving all the debt is the political pendulum swinging back after the radically right policy that started in the George W Bush administration of not even letting it be dischargeable in bankruptcy.

I might not totally agree with the far left politicians, but I certainly see how this happened, and I'd rather have a blanket amnesty than the current state of affairs. Of course what I really want is to just repeal the Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention And Consumer Protection Act (BAPCPA) of 2005 and go back to how it was when I started college.

Actually, federal student loans were dischargeable in bankruptcy before 1976, not the entire 20th century.

https://www.cappex.com/articles/money/history-of-bankrupty-dischange-for-student-loans

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #103 on: July 05, 2019, 10:02:56 AM »
Actually, federal student loans were dischargeable in bankruptcy before 1976, not the entire 20th century.

https://www.cappex.com/articles/money/history-of-bankrupty-dischange-for-student-loans

Interesting, I learned something. With that said, if you scroll down that page, you could still discharge them in many cases until October of 1998. But you are correct that it was not the entire 20th century.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #104 on: July 05, 2019, 12:13:37 PM »

Interesting, I learned something. With that said, if you scroll down that page, you could still discharge them in many cases until October of 1998. But you are correct that it was not the entire 20th century.

I have very little knowledge of bankruptcy law, but one thing I remember learning from a bankruptcy judge back in the 1990s was how incredibly difficult it was even then to discharge student loans at all.  The level of proof required to show hardship was higher than for other debts.  Much much higher.  In fact, it was nearly unheard of for a case to come down allowing discharge of student loans, so most people didn't even bother trying, and attorneys would routinely advise against it.  That's what was in my memory, which sent me looking for a link, where I learned something, too, since I didn't know that they were ever dischargeable.  So today has not been a total waste!

Incidentally, I lean towards agreeing with you on your earlier point that student loans should be dischargeable in bankruptcy.  I thought so back in the 1990s, and I still think so now.

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #105 on: July 13, 2019, 12:16:43 PM »
Went under 32 months this week.  401k surpassed $1,000,000 with the economy roaring.  Way too young to get to that without using 72(t)

Surely that will be exactly what causes the market to finally crash. 

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #106 on: July 25, 2019, 10:15:54 PM »
Still working, selling options, harvesting tradelines, running the real estate empire. 

effigy98

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #107 on: July 28, 2019, 10:29:33 AM »
Of course what I really want is to just repeal the Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention And Consumer Protection Act (BAPCPA) of 2005 and go back to how it was when I started college.

The full discharge is insane and unfair to people who were responsible and didn't get bullshit degrees and stupid level of debt. There needs to be some accountability. Bankruptcy seems fair and balanced because there are repercussions for doing so.

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #108 on: August 09, 2019, 12:05:26 AM »
Boom. Dropped under 31 months

I have a rental that’s been on the market for 2 months. Frustrating. Having to drop it
To a price I’ve never rented it at before. Not sure if this is a read through or broader issues or maybe I was very fortunate with the past renters.

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #109 on: August 25, 2019, 11:23:42 PM »
The countdown continues. Depending on where the market goes may make themext 30 months pretty interesting. Sticking with the plan

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #110 on: September 01, 2019, 12:24:17 PM »
Under 30 months. Continuing to pay down rentals. Continuing to invest in SPY and other high dividend stocks.

< 600 working days left (not counting any vacation days)

happyuk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Software and IT recipes
« Reply #111 on: September 01, 2019, 01:16:20 PM »
The calendar and the clock are all part of the mass deception.  Stop thinking in terms of days remaining and start thinking along the lines of what task/goal comes next.  The counting of days remaining are for prison inmates, not Mustachians.

It's not the destination, it's the journey.
It's not the winning, it's the taking part.
It's not the catch, it's the chase.

I know my Bhagavad Gita ;)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 01:18:44 PM by happyuk »

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #112 on: September 02, 2019, 03:14:31 AM »
The calendar and the clock are all part of the mass deception.  Stop thinking in terms of days remaining and start thinking along the lines of what task/goal comes next.  The counting of days remaining are for prison inmates, not Mustachians.

C. P. Cavafy was a famous Egyptian/Greek poet mid 20th century. I have
always loved this short poem of his:

Ithaka
BY C. P. CAVAFY
TRANSLATED BY EDMUND KEELEY

As you set out for Ithaka
hope your road is a long one,
full of adventure, full of discovery.
Laistrygonians, Cyclops,
angry Poseidon—don’t be afraid of them:
you’ll never find things like that on your way
as long as you keep your thoughts raised high,
as long as a rare excitement
stirs your spirit and your body.
Laistrygonians, Cyclops,
wild Poseidon—you won’t encounter them
unless you bring them along inside your soul,
unless your soul sets them up in front of you.

Hope your road is a long one.
May there be many summer mornings when,
with what pleasure, what joy,
you enter harbors you’re seeing for the first time;
may you stop at Phoenician trading stations
to buy fine things,
mother of pearl and coral, amber and ebony,
sensual perfume of every kind—
as many sensual perfumes as you can;
and may you visit many Egyptian cities
to learn and go on learning from their scholars.

Keep Ithaka always in your mind.
Arriving there is what you’re destined for.
But don’t hurry the journey at all.
Better if it lasts for years,
so you’re old by the time you reach the island,
wealthy with all you’ve gained on the way,
not expecting Ithaka to make you rich.

Ithaka gave you the marvelous journey.
Without her you wouldn't have set out.
She has nothing left to give you now.

And if you find her poor, Ithaka won’t have fooled you.
Wise as you will have become, so full of experience,
you’ll have understood by then what these Ithakas mean.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #113 on: September 04, 2019, 07:42:44 AM »

C. P. Cavafy was a famous Egyptian/Greek poet mid 20th century. I have
always loved this short poem of his:

Ithaka
BY C. P. CAVAFY
TRANSLATED BY EDMUND KEELEY

As you set out for Ithaka
hope your road is a long one,
full of adventure, full of discovery.
Laistrygonians, Cyclops,
angry Poseidon—don’t be afraid of them:
you’ll never find things like that on your way
as long as you keep your thoughts raised high,
as long as a rare excitement
stirs your spirit and your body.
Laistrygonians, Cyclops,
wild Poseidon—you won’t encounter them
unless you bring them along inside your soul,
unless your soul sets them up in front of you.

Hope your road is a long one.
May there be many summer mornings when,
with what pleasure, what joy,
you enter harbors you’re seeing for the first time;
may you stop at Phoenician trading stations
to buy fine things,
mother of pearl and coral, amber and ebony,
sensual perfume of every kind—
as many sensual perfumes as you can;
and may you visit many Egyptian cities
to learn and go on learning from their scholars.

Keep Ithaka always in your mind.
Arriving there is what you’re destined for.
But don’t hurry the journey at all.
Better if it lasts for years,
so you’re old by the time you reach the island,
wealthy with all you’ve gained on the way,
not expecting Ithaka to make you rich.

Ithaka gave you the marvelous journey.
Without her you wouldn't have set out.
She has nothing left to give you now.

And if you find her poor, Ithaka won’t have fooled you.
Wise as you will have become, so full of experience,
you’ll have understood by then what these Ithakas mean.

This is new to me and quite lovely.  Thank you for sharing!

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #114 on: October 12, 2019, 11:46:54 PM »
Under 29 months

FIRE 20/20

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #115 on: October 15, 2019, 02:27:08 PM »
Went under 32 months this week.  401k surpassed $1,000,000 with the economy roaring.  Way too young to get to that without using 72(t)

I just saw this so I'm sorry if you already know about it, but check into the Roth ladder.  You can access your 401(k) funds easily at any age without using 72(t), but you will need to wait 5 years from each conversion. 

https://www.madfientist.com/how-to-access-retirement-funds-early/

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #116 on: October 16, 2019, 12:24:22 AM »
A motivation could be that as long as you work, you are adding to your stash. Many retirees say they have a mental problem when they can't contribute to their funds anymore and need to take it out.

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #117 on: October 27, 2019, 02:36:39 PM »
Tick

Tock

Tick

Tock

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #118 on: October 28, 2019, 07:25:02 PM »
One more
One more
One more
One more
One more down
And one less to go!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #119 on: October 29, 2019, 01:31:33 AM »
One more
One more
One more
One more
One more down
And one less to go!

I have heard that people who climb the Everest have a similar strategy: You can always take one more step.

With work: you can always work one more day. Unless your job is literally killing your health. In that case you should find another job for the remaining time.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #120 on: October 29, 2019, 04:22:26 AM »
One more
One more
One more
One more
One more down
And one less to go!

I have heard that people who climb the Everest have a similar strategy: You can always take one more step.

With work: you can always work one more day. Unless your job is literally killing your health. In that case you should find another job for the remaining time.

Mental health is a key part of overall health

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #121 on: October 29, 2019, 10:18:21 AM »
Instead of writing PTF, because I want to be able to find this thread again so I can quote Malkynn's wise words to someone who needs them, I'll add a few thoughts. No promises they'll be pearls of wisdom of her caliber.

In my pre-FIRE days, I didn't have a date based on a savings number. Instead, I was waiting for the availability of Obama care. I had everything else mostly figured out, but the ACA didn't kick in until two years after I was ready to go. I had cancer when I was in my early twenties, so I was totally dialed in to not wishing my life away, but healthcare was a tricky and insanely expensive if you could even get it without exclusions puzzle piece back then.

In 2012, due to an unwanted internal job change, I really, really came to dislike my job. ACA was still two years away. The company installed a tracking system that followed me (well, all of the sales force in my new division and eventually everyone) everywhere I went, 24/7.  No fucking way was I going to live in that Orwellian hell, but I didn't really want to change employers this close to the finish. One weekend, I made a simple paper chain with 90 loops, each representing a working day. I festooned it around my home office and determined that I'd be gone from this job and their fucking i-pad by the time the last loop was gone.

I just realized that if I spill any more details, I'll get ahead of my journal, so let's just say it worked. It worked beyond my wildest imagination. As of December 5, 2019, I'll be seven years post-FIRE. It's been worth every second of the journey to get there.

Moral of the story: Never, ever wish your life away.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #122 on: October 29, 2019, 02:01:21 PM »
Instead of writing PTF, because I want to be able to find this thread again so I can quote Malkynn's wise words to someone who needs them, I'll add a few thoughts. No promises they'll be pearls of wisdom of her caliber.

Seriously, I need Malkynn's voice in my head. I'd probably make much better decisions in life.

Moral of the story: Never, ever wish your life away.

That's easier said than done. With ~112 waking hours in a week and half of them taken up by work, getting to work, and getting ready for work, wishing can occupy a lot of those working hours.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #123 on: October 30, 2019, 06:31:52 AM »

Seriously, I need Malkynn's voice in my head. I'd probably make much better decisions in life.

Fuck, it's enough that *I* have to live with my voice in my own head.

That said, a huge part of my job is convincing people to make better decisions. It's a lot of fun.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #124 on: October 30, 2019, 06:45:14 AM »
And today, another working day has passed...

Until recently, I didn't really know my actual FIRE date. At especially not when we still had 1000 more days to go. I didn't know how much money we needed in total and how long that would take to save up. We just continued saving as usual until we had enough faith in the future and then we decided to give notice, based on the minimum time that I can keep my pension payments for this year.

Blissful Biker

• Bristles
« Reply #125 on: October 30, 2019, 05:35:29 PM »
I read this thread a few days ago and it's been on my mind.  I have about 1,000 more days to go as well and even though I should be enormously grateful for my lifestyle (working 4 days a week in cool mountain town), I find myself pining for the future.  My role is terribly dull but it pays quite well and allows me to work PT remotely.  I feel like I have golden handcuffs because switching roles would require me to move to a big city (ick) and pull my kids out of their school.  Or take a pay cut of 90% and become a lifty at the ski resort.  :)

I am a huge proponent of balancing enjoying today and enjoying future and it has guided how I have structured my life.  But as watch the FIRE date approach ever so slowly I sometimes struggle to find the joy in today.

I think I need to forget about my FIRE date and get engaged in my role instead of moaning about it.  On my fall hikes with my dog this week I've been listening to The Happiness Advantage audio book.  The premise is that happiness precedes success as opposed to the traditional thinking that success precedes happiness, and he give some useful advice on how to create that happiness / excitement / motivation.  Although it's no rocket science, the engineer in me appreciates his many references to clinical studies.  So I'm going to test it out with a goal to improve my outlook at work.

Our finances are on cruise control and shifting my focus away from my FIRE date will not delay it.  But rather, I hope, help me savour life right now, in this precious moment.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #126 on: October 31, 2019, 02:17:35 AM »
I read this thread a few days ago and it's been on my mind.  I have about 1,000 more days to go as well and even though I should be enormously grateful for my lifestyle (working 4 days a week in cool mountain town), I find myself pining for the future.  My role is terribly dull but it pays quite well and allows me to work PT remotely.  I feel like I have golden handcuffs because switching roles would require me to move to a big city (ick) and pull my kids out of their school.  Or take a pay cut of 90% and become a lifty at the ski resort.  :)

I am a huge proponent of balancing enjoying today and enjoying future and it has guided how I have structured my life.  But as watch the FIRE date approach ever so slowly I sometimes struggle to find the joy in today.

I think I need to forget about my FIRE date and get engaged in my role instead of moaning about it.  On my fall hikes with my dog this week I've been listening to The Happiness Advantage audio book.  The premise is that happiness precedes success as opposed to the traditional thinking that success precedes happiness, and he give some useful advice on how to create that happiness / excitement / motivation.  Although it's no rocket science, the engineer in me appreciates his many references to clinical studies.  So I'm going to test it out with a goal to improve my outlook at work.

Our finances are on cruise control and shifting my focus away from my FIRE date will not delay it.  But rather, I hope, help me savour life right now, in this precious moment.

You are right that your life should be optimized today as well. We have downsized  to working 80% in the last year. That has increased our life a lot already. We did count on it. With a progressive tax system, working 80% only gives 10-15% reduction in salary, which is about 6-8 weeks of longer working per year. If you have 3 years to go, you are talking about half a year extra. Maybe that is worth it for having a better life now.

planR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #127 on: November 07, 2019, 03:22:36 PM »
I am tracking multiple plans at once, I will feel better when I secure the first plan.

#1 - Move back to QC - Quebec, buy a house : 174 days left

#2 - Move to BC - Victoria, buy a small condo : 594 days left

#3 - Buy a small house in QC and a small condo in Florida : 954 days left

#4 - Move to Texas and buy a house : 1254 days left

#5 - Buy a condo in San Diego : 2064 days left.

The real targets are 3 or 4 ... but the preferred one is #5 ... that will only happens if my companies goes public and if I am still there when it does. But I am expecting some kind of relief when plan #1 is doable.

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #128 on: November 10, 2019, 10:52:52 AM »
Went below 28 months recently.

However with everyone talking (wishing?) for a recession in the next 12 months in the media, my projections don’t take that into account so this could all be a pipe dream. Or I could just lower my
Planned standard of living a little or work longer.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #129 on: November 11, 2019, 08:00:29 AM »

However with everyone talking (wishing?) for a recession in the next 12 months in the media, my projections don’t take that into account so this could all be a pipe dream. Or I could just lower my

In someways I would like to start the next recession and get it "out of the way" in the next year-ish before I can otherwise start seriously thinking about cutting my hours or RE-ing.  Also that would let my buy SCHB at discount while making real money. 

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #130 on: November 12, 2019, 01:43:32 PM »

In someways I would like to start the next recession and get it "out of the way" in the next year-ish before I can otherwise start seriously thinking about cutting my hours or RE-ing.  Also that would let my buy SCHB at discount while making real money.

I used to feel this way, but now that I'm theoretically within 2 years of FIRE, I no longer want it, as our FIRE date would be delayed.  I could bond tent now, but our target is still aggressive enough that I need portfolio growth to get us there (I do have some bonds to dampen volatility, but not really a sufficient bond tent to weather a bear market without pushing off our FIRE date).  We could OMY, but I don't want to unless it proves necessary.  I do plan to bond tent once we're very close to the goal, and for the first several years of FIRE. 

Gremlin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #131 on: November 12, 2019, 06:51:22 PM »

A countdown can be a great motivation or it can be a terrible curse.  It can imply that there's absolute certainty around what will happen between now and then.  That's never the case.  But what the journey allows you to do is have freedom.  The freedom to adjust planned standard of living, the freedom to work a little longer, the freedom to pivot to something else with a big FU to your current employer, the freedom to live your best life.

It's not something magical that's 28 months away that grants you that.  It's the sum of the choices you have made and will continue to make between now and then (and beyond). 

Keep thinking every day about what living your best life means to you.  If that means in 28 months you hang up the boots, then celebrate that.  If it means that in six months you're posting something in the FU thread, then that's your prerogative.  You're here.  You're in the tail run of one aspect of your life.  But you're merely starting the next phase. And that doesn't need to wait 28 months.

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #132 on: November 13, 2019, 08:36:23 PM »
so true so true.  I already run 3 other businesses and could easily retire today.  My timeline affords the level of safety that i would be more comfortable with.  Until the last year or so, I really loved my job but a change in leadership and values at the company i signed up for so many years ago has completely changed.  I've seen many people get hurt for unjust reasons and it's hard to have to accept that knowing i have no formal authority to right those wrongs and i have a ton of formal authority. 

Regardless, it is what it is and my life certainly isn't on pause these next 28 months.  I continue to run my other Businesses, one of which may net almost 50% of what I make at the job i plan to retire from.  I often wonder if, with a little more focus, could my day job actually become my backup job? 

It's a good spot to be in but of course a recession would be horrific and hurt so many people, all of us included and given that DC never cares about debt, many believe the next recession will be worse than the last.  I would like to pay off all the rentals though, which i could do now, but with the new money I'm still bringing in so as not to impact other investments.

Until then, I keep doing my job, living my life, trying to automate revenue generation more and work to launch into FIRE and hopefully actually then make even more money than I'm making now - while i'm "retired" from the "normal" corporate job.

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #133 on: December 08, 2019, 05:56:31 PM »
Crossed under 27 months from my goal recently. 

Continue to plug away at the other businesses.  One made almost half of what i make in my day job this year.  Working to continue to scale that as I could do it in retirement with minimal time invested.

The countdown continues and i continue to diversify my revenue streams more and more with each passing day. 

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #134 on: December 28, 2019, 12:20:29 AM »
2020 will be a critical year.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #135 on: December 28, 2019, 03:17:13 PM »
By the end of the month I will have less than 2000 days left.  I could also do a "BaristaFI" in 202 days.  I have multiple countdown like things.  I count down to vacation, count down to a major project finish at work and a new count down every 100 days.  Ultimately I am taking work a day to a week at a time still and it seems to be working.  Well that and I really am thinking in terms of months in comparison to the now "common" 7 year car note, as I now have less than a 6 year car note, can't wait to get under 5 years which will come sooner than I think.

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #136 on: December 29, 2019, 09:12:21 PM »
By the end of the month I will have less than 2000 days left.  I could also do a "BaristaFI" in 202 days.  I have multiple countdown like things.  I count down to vacation, count down to a major project finish at work and a new count down every 100 days.  Ultimately I am taking work a day to a week at a time still and it seems to be working.  Well that and I really am thinking in terms of months in comparison to the now "common" 7 year car note, as I now have less than a 6 year car note, can't wait to get under 5 years which will come sooner than I think.

What’s a baristaFI?

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #137 on: December 30, 2019, 06:33:50 AM »

What’s a baristaFI?

Essentially the same as CoastFI

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #138 on: December 30, 2019, 10:31:26 PM »
And just like that, over 20% of the days are behind us

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #139 on: January 08, 2020, 06:39:42 PM »
Under 26 months to go

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #140 on: January 11, 2020, 09:31:04 AM »
We recently FIREd in August. The thing that kept us motivated when we were 2-3 years from FIRE was health care. We were FI 2 years ago, but we were concerned about what was going to happen to the ACA. By working longer, we bumped our net worth up by 35% which should handle most calamities. We thought 2 more years of working now vs. possibly going back to work when we were older. That was great motivation.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #141 on: January 11, 2020, 09:46:59 AM »
We recently FIREd in August. The thing that kept us motivated when we were 2-3 years from FIRE was health care. We were FI 2 years ago, but we were concerned about what was going to happen to the ACA. By working longer, we bumped our net worth up by 35% which should handle most calamities. We thought 2 more years of working now vs. possibly going back to work when we were older. That was great motivation.

We have made a similar choice, although we are just beginning the countdown from having achieved a reasonable FI number.

moneypitfeeder

• Stubble
« Reply #142 on: January 11, 2020, 04:38:14 PM »
1960 work days left ugh. When you find that motivation tell me how to double it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easy, take today's date and calculate how many working days until a "normal" retirement (i.e.,  65 or 67 depending on your age) and compare that to your 1960 days! I bet it is a lot less. I understand though, I started really buckling down 4 years ago when we set up our plan, and I'm now to my last 255 working days (minus abt 30 vaca days) left. I went by a list hung above my work computer with the month/year. Each month I made it, I get to cross one off. I have 12 months left to go, and my goals are met in in 7. After the 7th month, I have penned a "hang on" and then the remaining months follow. Looking at at countdown in increments of 12 is much nicer than the aggregate of all the days. Best of luck and the best motivation in the end is knowing you found the golden ticket to getting out of the rat race that most never see.

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #143 on: January 20, 2020, 11:10:21 PM »
Another half month in the books

Will mr market cooperate?  If not, I have several irons in the fire so.....it dont matter!

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #144 on: January 22, 2020, 08:37:33 PM »
When I started my countdown, I had 1,776 calendar days to freedom based on my somewhat arbitrary target date

Today I had ticked off 1,000 calendar days

Ahhhhhhhhhhh

So that’s what 1,000 tracked days feels like

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #145 on: January 22, 2020, 08:54:46 PM »
So what do ~4,600 days feel like?

Asking for a friend...

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #146 on: January 24, 2020, 10:12:22 PM »
So what do ~4,600 days feel like?

Asking for a friend...

Is that how many are left for you?

Well, maybe many more for all of us if corona virus spreads. Or maybe not

aspiringnomad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #147 on: January 24, 2020, 10:50:44 PM »
I am tracking multiple plans at once, I will feel better when I secure the first plan.

#1 - Move back to QC - Quebec, buy a house : 174 days left

#2 - Move to BC - Victoria, buy a small condo : 594 days left

#3 - Buy a small house in QC and a small condo in Florida : 954 days left

#4 - Move to Texas and buy a house : 1254 days left

#5 - Buy a condo in San Diego : 2064 days left.

The real targets are 3 or 4 ... but the preferred one is #5 ... that will only happens if my companies goes public and if I am still there when it does. But I am expecting some kind of relief when plan #1 is doable.

This is oddly circuitous and date-specific, but I think it's best if I don't ask any questions.

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #148 on: February 07, 2020, 05:16:02 PM »
BOOm!  Just like that, under 25 months to go

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #149 on: February 12, 2020, 11:19:43 PM »
Will coronavirus be the black swan that affects our plans. Seems the media has gone a little quiet on it but hard to get the truth.