23 (11.3%)
Mainstream media article
27 (13.2%)
Another blog
53 (26%)
Stumbled across while looking for something else
101 (49.5%)

Total Members Voted: 197

Author Topic: How did you discover MMM?  (Read 13488 times)

CoffeeR

• Bristles
Re: How did you discover MMM?
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2017, 08:10:08 AM »

greengardens

• Stubble
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2017, 08:39:32 AM »
My husband sent me a link to his article on aquaponics and we just became hooked from there.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2017, 10:15:34 AM »
I found MMM in the early days. I used to read Early Retirement Extreme and (I believe) ERE allowed one of MMM's articles to be posted on his site. Unfortunately, ERE Jacob pretty much quit posting and happily MMM became hugely successful.
^^Me, too.^^

pxpaulx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2017, 10:22:26 AM »
Someone randomly posted a link to MMM's article (within an entirely different discussion topic) about electric bikes on an electric bike forum that I frequent.  I was hooked immediately!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2017, 10:22:52 AM »
If my memory serves me right, I saw the article on the bottom of Marketwatch. Its has been awhile

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2017, 11:07:37 AM »
I was googling something about furnace filters lol. I wondered what alternative universe I'd stumbled into.

Rocket

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2017, 12:49:32 PM »
Googling for early retirement advise.  Found it pretty quick.

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2017, 04:52:17 PM »
I found the site in 2014 when we were making big lifestyle changes including a new career, and I was slashing all expenses until I knew it would work out.  We ended up making more money with the new job, plus having a lower cost of living due to the changes I already made and the great advice from the site. I was reading lots of online sources and blogs about lowering expenses and I think the first article I found was http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/10/08/how-to-go-from-middle-class-to-kickass/  still a classic!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2017, 04:57:30 PM »
A FB friend had posted a Project 333 wardrobe link, which led me to the Be More With Less blog (same blogger). The blog resonated with me; one of the articles linked to Blonde on a Budget as an example of someone who'd done a shopping ban. Being nearly through my own year-long, self-imposed shopping ban at that point, I checked it out (I had no idea shopping bans were a thing, it had just seemed to be what I needed to do at the time). That led to another link (someone who's my namesake [first and middle], so I HAD to check that out), which led to reading a few posts on Frugalwoods, and then, finally, MMM. I was home. When the student is ready, the teacher appears.

Wow. Start me at Blonde on a Budget, and we had EXACTLY the same path to finding MMM! Although I found Blonde on a Budget through minimalism stuff directly, not her shopping ban. (Possibly from Becoming Minimalist?) Then I think it was her retweeting something from Frugalwoods? Something like that, then I ended up at MMM somehow. I forget exactly, but it overlaps a lot with your path! Cool how that works =)

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2017, 06:22:58 PM »
From ERE, when he passed the torch.

tallen

• Stubble
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2017, 07:55:29 PM »
I was on Slickdeals forum reading about something I was planning on buying several years ago and a forum member mentioned being pretty "mustachian".  It was an odd and foreign word so I took to google to see what it meant and then spent the next several weeks reading most every post Pete has put on the blog from the beginning because I was hooked! Eventually I made my way into the forums and even though I don't post much I still stop in at least once a week or so to try to keep up to date on things.

bludreamin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2017, 08:23:31 PM »
Found the forums first looking for YNAB discount code after getting so frustrated with Mint but still wanting a budgeting tool.  Was hoping to take advantage of the federal thread so needed to create an account which required an initial perusal of the website that lead to binge reading the blog. Loved the logic and straightforward writing so stuck around. Mostly lurk on the forums these days for tips and motivation... Keep thinking a out starting a journal to help me focus/refine my path forward but that hasn't been a priority yet.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2017, 11:48:21 PM »
My sister sent it to me. I don't know how she found it, but I owe her big.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2017, 08:09:38 AM »
Forbes had an article about two roommates who went a year without spending any money beyond rent and food. MMM's blog was mentioned in the article and a link was included. I clicked the article and down the rabbit hole I went.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2017, 09:21:32 AM »
Was having a driveway conversation with a buddy about career/financial crossroads DW and I were at.

We were vaguely going in the right direction but very slowly. Friend had pointed me to a couple of books frequently mentioned here. Then sends me this link to MMM. I started reading constantly. DW and I really honed our "game" with guidance from everyone here at MMM. Thank you to our friends and to all of you.

We had vague guidance from our parents while growing up but we started out making all the same mistakes as everyone else (YOLO).

Friend was doing something financially unconventional but I did not know what until I started reading MMM.

Everyone ought to be openly discussing money in this country. Our collective ignorance shapes our careers and our politics.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2017, 09:27:45 AM »
Everyone ought to be openly discussing money in this country. Our collective ignorance shapes our careers and our politics.

Same goes for Canada.  The more I hang around here, the more I am willing to talk about money in the rest of my life.  More with friends than family though for my own reasons.   

Flyingkea

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2017, 09:36:54 AM »
I found the forums by reading the comments on a piece on stuff.co.nz. I was pregnant, had at the time, low levels of spending, but didn't know what I should do with my money to help it grow. Something to do with shares/money came up, and I was reading the comments, when I saw someone mention ERE and MMM.
Never got into ERE, but was very hooked on MMM!

Downside, I do get anxiety over spending money now, but at least we haven't frittered it all away.

nkt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2017, 09:59:18 AM »
I stumbled across this site while google-searching for info about handlebar mustaches. Actual hair-on-the-face mustaches. I still have the mustache, but I also picked up an appreciation for frugality and a headlong sprint toward financial independence.

Bumperpuff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2017, 01:46:52 PM »
I stumbled upon it as I was looking for worthwhile retirement advice. All the sites I saw recommended 10-20% savings or 8 times your income by 65, which wasn't helpful since I was already saving 50%.  That's when I googled "early retirement", discovered MMM and his ilk, and I haven't looked back since.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2017, 02:16:56 PM »
NW Edible's blog. Don't remember which post, or how I even found her blog.

Jasonthehumble

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2017, 04:00:34 PM »
When I was 24 and starting my career in finance, my boss had introduced me to another way at looking at money. Eventually he showed me about MMM lifestyle and I read into it. At first, I thought that this was a crazy way to live and only cheap penny-pinchers were able to live like this.

About a year later, I tried saving 35% of my income and I saw my NW skyrocket. I became hooked with the lifestyle and realized how a stress-free lifestyle is much more important than brand new sports cars. I am turning 27 next month and already have 70K in investable assets and 80K in real estate equity!

I'm doing by doing a 60% savings rate!

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2017, 04:17:45 PM »
When I was 24 and starting my career in finance, my boss had introduced me to another way at looking at money. Eventually he showed me about MMM lifestyle and I read into it. At first, I thought that this was a crazy way to live and only cheap penny-pinchers were able to live like this.

About a year later, I tried saving 35% of my income and I saw my NW skyrocket. I became hooked with the lifestyle and realized how a stress-free lifestyle is much more important than brand new sports cars. I am turning 27 next month and already have 70K in investable assets and 80K in real estate equity!

I'm doing by doing a 60% savings rate!

Holy crap you are crushing it!