Author Topic: How can I stay exhausted in retirement?  (Read 3520 times)

Ron Scott

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
How can I stay exhausted in retirement?
« on: July 31, 2016, 11:18:18 AM »
While the feeling ebbs and flows I basically love my work. I'm 60. I manage a $400m business with more than 800 employees and offices in several countries. I travel a good bit and lately my wife has agreed to join me in the fun places. I admit, I'm exhausted most of the time but I make room for family fun and biking (just did 40 miles, half in the rain).

I could easily have retired 15 years ago without having to rethink my lifestyle but my attitude is different. I'm contributing to something larger than me. I am competent, my competence is recognized and appreciated by my staff and CEO, and I can see the positive results of my efforts. 

I plan to retire in 2 years. I could work forever but I know it's only one life and I want change.

My problem is I don't have a plan I like. I can't imagine not throwing myself in unstructured problems on a daily basis. I can't imagine not being exhausted and the prospect of that feels unpleasant. I don't have the temperament to volunteer at the senior center, and sitting on boards or playing golf in Florida all day are non-starters.

What do you retired folks do?

undercover

• Pencil Stache
Re: How can I stay exhausted in retirement?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 12:39:33 PM »
Do what you want? Just try things that interest you...take "structured" bike rides - change the route, the pace, the distance, etc. for more of a challenge. Try new sports? Travel to new places in order to partake in your new found hobbies? Change in scenery helps to energize the most mundane of activities. I spend most of my free time reading, biking, or playing video games. I'd like to travel more when the time is right. But that keeps me going pretty much.

And I mean, ultimately - if managing a company is what you really want to be doing, then don't let anyone here tell you that you can't.

The point of saving more than you spend is so you eventually have options to do what you want. It doesn't necessarily preclude you from continuing doing what was working before.

FIRE Artist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 12:40:21 PM »
My dad (73yrs old) is retired from the federal government with a great pension, but takes engineering consultant jobs for my cousin's road construction company.  It keeps him busy and maintains connections, it is something he enjoys and doesn't feel he has to do it.   

HAPPYINAZ

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 12:55:15 PM »
I never quite understand this type of question....as the first reply says...do what you want to do....do whatever you enjoy and do it more often than you could have if you were working full time.  You can exhaust yourself on vacation as well as you can at work.  Just do active travelling that you like.  Do longer bike rides and more often, do lots of scuba diving/snorkeling, kayaking, hiking, whatever appeals to you.  Is it really that hard to come up with things you enjoy that are physically taxing?  being retired doesn't mean sitting around doing nothing...it just means you aren't being paid for your work or you are only choosing work you want to do.  How about sharing what you learned in your business world with young adults just starting out?  Set up some sort of training program for your business and do it for free instead of for pay. 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 12:57:29 PM by HAPPYINAZ »

Altons Bobs

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 01:56:44 PM »
Yeah, like other PPs said, do what you enjoy doing. There are so many things to do, what interests you?!

okits

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 02:13:23 PM »
If you love your work, what kind of change do you want, and how much?  The way you describe your situation it sounds like you should just delegate a bit more and work 20-33% fewer hours.

When I think of "exhausted retirees" I think of family friends who provide unpaid, full-time childcare to their young grandchildren (every week day, starting at 6am).  If that sounds too easy, try engaging them without the use of any screen time.  With an educational plan that's age/developmentally appropriate for each child.  Exclusively in second (or third) language.  Using only locally-sourced, organic products.  (Yes, I am teasing by this point.  :)

Cap_Scarlet

• Bristles
    • EarlyRetireFree
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 02:46:11 PM »
I could work forever but I know it's only one life and I want change.

Reread that last bit again because it is diametrically opposed with the rest of you post i.e. it seems like you love what you do so why so you "want change"

People here could tell you they love stamp collecting, sitting in the bath or wearing a variety of hats and it would probably mean nothing to you.

But maybe tell us why you "want change" and the guidance may be different.

Bajadoc

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 04:42:11 PM »
You are institutionalized, stay on the job. If you have to think hard about what to do besides your job, you belong at work. There is nothing wrong with that, for some people work is fulfilling and the best place to spend time. If you are happy working, work. Just don't take up surfing, it ruined my life.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 04:43:54 PM by Bajadoc »

retiringearly

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2016, 05:04:50 PM »
Volunteer for a cause that you believe in.  It will be more fulfilling than you could imagine.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2016, 05:47:45 PM »
Simple. Just look at life as an unstructured problem and throw yourself into it.

Systems101

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2016, 06:19:54 PM »
I don't have the temperament to volunteer at the senior center, and sitting on boards or playing golf in Florida all day are non-starters.

So volunteer in a way that will give you something to structure.  Look up the Executive Service Corps in your community.  That is one possibility, and the nonprofits you work with will love your experience.

Also consider that not all boards are the same.  Smaller non-profits have operating boards that are involved in the day to day operations of the non-profit.  They are, in effect, the entire executive staff.  Look for a non-profit that meets that mold.  If they are meeting 4X a year, then it's likely mature.  If it's twice a month, and it's the same folks on the board that are running the programs, you have a possible target.  Now it's time to evaluate if they CAN grow.

Given the business you are running, you can surely evaluate when there is a non-profit that has the ability to scale (sufficient market size, sufficient demand, can draw in $) and also has that desire to grow and scale.  It may be for survival.  Look for ones that are just searching for their first permanent facility (or first facility in a non-donated space).  That's the "chasm" in product terms.  Many fail at that point, because they can't cross from $200K/year to the $1M/year level where foundations, corporations, et al pay attention and they can afford a facility.  Chances are the folks that started it have the passion, but no structure.  Your help in providing that would be invaluable (if you can avoid running them over - in many cases you're dealing with very high volunteer rates, and the motivation there is different than folks drawing a paycheck).

As another completely random consideration, consider being a FINRA arbitrator.  It won't rack up many hours, but it's sure to be different than the other stuff you do in retirement :)

Free_at_50

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2016, 06:26:19 PM »
Hi Ron.  I also had a career with a lot of responsibility and pretty much worked all the time (though for the most part I loved what I did).  I was just ready for a change.  What do I do all day?  Well I do play sports for some amount of time every day to get and stay fit (its helped me lose about 70 lbs).  Plus I enjoy the social aspects of sports.  More importantly I get to spend quality time with my wife, preschool grandson, and kids.  That is time I wouldn't give up for the world.  I also get to take care of things around my home and property more than before.  I have also been able to help one of my children with a new business they are trying to get off the ground.  I realized I had forgotten what it was like to not have to live via alarm clocks, deadlines, or performance metrics all the time.   The beauty of it so far is, because I have so few constraints on my time, I get to do the things I want every day whatever that may be.  Maybe that sounds unstructured but for me right now it has been a welcome change from all the structure of my previous career.  Good luck to you, hope this helps!

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2016, 06:37:37 PM »
Some people work for money and some people work to work.  Ron sounds like he works to work.  There is something in his mindset that I don't have, fortunately or unfortunately (can't decide just yet)

Live to work     ... somewhere in between...   work to live

Ron                Me          Some of you                    Some of you until you FIRE

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2016, 12:10:23 AM »
Not retired but here is the real question: 

Do you need/desire external challenges?  If that's the case, then maybe early retirement isn't for you.

If you can satisfy those challenges internally, then you should retire as soon as possible.

Ron Scott

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2016, 02:36:40 PM »

What do you retired folks do?

Appreciate those responses folks, thanks.

RedmondStash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2016, 11:01:16 PM »
I've been thinking about this or something similar: Can I trust myself to create a full and fulfilling life after FIRE? Or will I just sit around in smelly pajamas all day, reading comics and playing video games?

Nothing wrong with doing that if you truly enjoy it. But if you do it to check out because your life feels like a formless void and that scares you, it could be a problem.

I do worry that once I'm retired, I'll slide into an unstructured life and from there into depression, which can be hard to lever yourself back out of.

I'm honestly not sure I will follow through on the shiny, appealing plans I've made, because inertia is a bitch to overcome.

No Name Guy

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2016, 09:06:36 AM »
Ron

In spite of the experience of being a top dog in a big organization, consider this:

In lieu of sitting on a board of a non-profit, try going back to the trenches, so to speak.  "Demote" yourself from a General to a Lieutenant or Captain, to use a metaphor.

I'm contributing to something larger than me.
I can't imagine not throwing myself in unstructured problems on a daily basis. I can't imagine not being exhausted and the prospect of that feels unpleasant.

I've managed to find a volunteer opportunity / non-profit  that satisfies the above quotes - it's certainly larger than me.  It's not unstructured at all, and at the end of a typical day, I'm certainly tired, not exhausted, but plenty tired, in a good way. 

Each project has a discrete set of goals and objectives and progress is easy to measure.  At the end of the day, the results are typically obvious, therefore it's satisfying.