Author Topic: help identifying these weeds  (Read 21752 times)

grundomatic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
help identifying these weeds
« on: April 01, 2018, 01:13:19 PM »
I noticed some wild arugula growing near my back patio that I decided to let grow for the free salad greens. There are two other plants growing nearby, and I am wondering if I should take them out or if they have some food/medicinal/companion plant value. I have tried unsuccessfully to identify the one that reminds me of a squash plant. The one that looks like a head of wheat I only really noticed yesterday and have not put much effort into identifying. Was wondering if anyone around here might know what they are or have suggestions on how to best identify these plants?

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
Re: help identifying these weeds
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 04:28:55 PM »
The middle one is called cheeseweed around here.  Get rid of it.  They can get HUGE and have a tap root that goes deep into the ground.  The bottom one looks like fox tail.  Another weed I’d get rid of.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 08:17:13 PM by NV Teacher »

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 05:23:38 PM »
Middle one is also called Mallow, and it's a pain. Yank it out.

Mtngrl

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 05:57:59 PM »
I agree that middle one is mallow (also called cheeseweed). Big long tap roots, so you'll have to dig it out. Good luck getting rid of it. And I think the bottom one might be foxtail -- definitely get rid of that. If you have pets, foxtails can be quite bothersome for them.

grundomatic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 05:48:39 PM »
Thank you so much! Wishful thinking I guess hoping they'd be useful plants.

The entire yard is going to eventually be dug into berms and basins and covered in mulch, growing native plants. In the meantime I have these guys as well as bermuda grass and buffelgrass to deal with. I tell myself "Mowing grass every week is yardwork. This is a desert restoration project."

Gone_Hiking

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 08:02:50 PM »
The first photo - weed.  They also grow in my backyard.  Safe to pull; they make a LOT of seeds.

grundomatic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 09:48:24 AM »
At least its an edible weed--wild arugula. Toss it in my daily salad I take to work---best tasting yard cover I have ever had..

mapleleaves

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 12:47:24 PM »
Cheeseweed/little mallow, and false barley/foxtail. They're both common weeds, and the grass can be something of a hazard to pets.