Author Topic: Healthinsurance for new Immigrant self-employed  (Read 1467 times)

andreslu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Healthinsurance for new Immigrant self-employed
« on: December 05, 2018, 11:07:12 AM »
Hi there,

as a new immigrant in the US I am trying to find a reasonable healthinsurance in Florida. We are a family of 3 and I am the owner of a US corporation which would pay for it - this way I am at least able to deduct it.

ACA plans with high deductibles seem to cost around $1k monthly. Another option are international insurances like Cigna Global or Allianz Care. Without outpatient coverage and high deductibles they would cost roughly $500 month but seem to have very bad reviews, trying to fight against every treatment you want to get.

I am currently looking into short-term insurance as it looks like that there won't be a penalty in 2019 anymore and Florida does not seem to have any limitations on the duration.

We are all healthy currently (thanks god) and would have enough savings to cover a high deductible. So basically what I need is a catastrophic plan that would pay if things go really bad.

I have no idea what to choose for my family. When I look into deductible or out-of-pockets and how that changes the rate than it often looks like that you would need to pay almost the whole deductible per year to the insurance comany. So decreasing the deductible from $10k to $3k sometimes increases premiums in that same amount. Makes no sense to me...

Any suggestions? Can I go with a cheaper short-term plan?

AdrianC

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Healthinsurance for new Immigrant self-employed
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 07:05:27 PM »
ACA is your best option.

Do you qualify for a subsidy? Your MAGI can be lowered using a 401k and IRA. Even your health insurance premiums reduce your MAGI.

Honestly, $1k a month is pretty reasonable.

andreslu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 10:35:53 AM »
Thanks Adrian.

Why is ACA the better option than any of those short-term plan. They seem to allow up to 3 years of coverage which might be enough for us before moving abroad again.

AdrianC

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 12:39:47 PM »
Yes, but what does the short term plan actually cover? And do you know that you can actually get coverage? You'll have to do some digging.

Let us know how it goes, and what you end up with.