Author Topic: Health Insurance Companies See Big Rate Increases for 2016 - NYTimes  (Read 16102 times)

Giro

• Pencil Stache
Re: Health Insurance Companies See Big Rate Increases for 2016 - NYTimes
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2015, 12:35:49 PM »

A new Additional Medicare Tax went into effect on Jan. 1, 2013. The 0.9 percent Additional Medicare Tax applies to an individual’s wages, Railroad Retirement Tax Act compensation and self-employment income that exceeds a threshold amount based on the individual’s filing status. The threshold amounts are $250,000 for married taxpayers who file jointly, $125,000 for married taxpayers who file separately and $200,000 for all other taxpayers. An employer is responsible for withholding the Additional Medicare Tax from wages or compensation it pays to an employee in excess of $200,000 in a calendar year. On Nov. 26, 2013, the IRS and the Department of the Treasury issued final regulations which provide guidance for employers and individuals relating to the implementation of Additional Medicare Tax, including the requirement to withhold Additional Medicare Tax on certain wages and compensation, the requirement to report Additional Medicare Tax, and the employer process for adjusting underpayments and overpayments of Additional Medicare Tax. In addition, the regulations provide guidance on the employer and individual processes for filing a claim for refund for an overpayment of Additional Medicare Tax. For additional information on the Additional Medicare Tax, see our questions and answers.
[/quote]

This is the part that is infuriating to me.  How they got away with such a blatant marriage tax penalty is beyond me.  Total bullshit!!

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2015, 11:02:57 AM »
New premium is 962.00 for 6300 deductible insurance.  We only take home about 4k.  Rent/Mortgage, health insurance, tithe, taxes, food, retirement.  Which one to prioritize. 

Is that for work-based insurance? If not, it sounds like you would get a big tax credit on the Marketplace.

4k take home should absolutely be in medicare range, unless you somehow have massive deductions, and no premiums needed.

I assume you mean "Medicaid". The names are confusingly similar. And $48k (although it sounds like maybe more like $60k if it's take home) for a family of 2 is probably not low enough for Medicaid eligibility.

Heitzrun can check out the Marketplace to see local plans and get an estimate of what tax credit might be available. When I run a $48k income for 2 married 35 year olds through I get $360/mo (after $95 tax credit) and up for plans in my area https://www.healthcare.gov/see-plans/

If this coverage you're posting about is through work, then you might be able to find something cheaper on the Marketplace anyway. Depending on the specifics, you may not qualify for a tax credit if you buy on the Marketplace if coverage is available to you at work.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2015, 12:35:37 PM »
Oh.  4k a month.  I was assuming annually. Duh.  :P
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2015, 01:04:39 PM »
Oh.  4k a month.  I was assuming annually. Duh.  :P

That would be quite an impressive budget to maintain. ERE Jakob would be envious.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2015, 09:22:26 PM »
The reason rates are going up is that more people are seeking care for expensive conditions they would otherwise just suck up and deal with until they end up in the ER or dead.

The only way we will bring costs down is by reducing demand, either through a healthier population (unlikely) or stricter controls on care. We are apparently unable as a society to avoid becoming overweight and unhealthy, so we will at some point have to decide if we are going to pay $100k to treat someone's cancer, stroke or heart failure. If not, how will we reduce the cost? Force companies to provide drugs for lower prices yet also force them to continue to produce these rather than other profitable enterprises, choose less effective & cheaper drugs, or force patients to forgo treatment. I think at some point a combination of the latter two will occur. We will limit people's access to expensive chemotherapy and immune-modulating drugs (costs run in the tens of thousands, often with little improvement in survival or symptoms).

I'll give a concrete example using colon cancer chemotherapy since it is a common, yet expensive to treat, disease.

State of art treatment in 1990: 5-fluorouracil, $1k. 69% of patients alive at 5 years.
State of art treatment in 2015: 5-fluorouracil + oxaliplatin, $17k. 73% of patients alive at 5 years. Thus, treating 100 patients with this regimen would save 4 people.

Total cost to save 4 people = 16* 100 = $1.6 million

About 80,000 people per year are diagnosed with this stage of colon cancer. Total chemotherapy costs are now $17,000 * 80,000 = $1.36 billion  vs $80 million with the slightly less effective but much cheaper therapy. Out of the 80k treated, 3.2k will be alive at 5 years because of the extra chemotherapy.

That's the hard calculations we face if we want to rein in healthcare costs.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!