Author Topic: Has anyone tried not using soap and shampoo when they bathe?  (Read 9490 times)

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
Sorry for the troll. I just couldn't help myself with some of the goofy posts that have been on here lately. "Being smelly and covered in sores saves you money!"

dz1087

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Has anyone tried not using soap and shampoo when they bathe?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 06:22:10 AM »
Interestingly, I did have a friend that did this for  while -- and started getting sores all over her body. 

She was on a big 'no chemicals' type deal for a while after she started selling NORWEX cleaning supplies.  The brand sells itself as chemical free cleaning alternative and they have a 'bath mitt' thingy she was using.  It supposedly had silver woven into the fabric to kill all the germs it picked up after you wiped it over your body.  Yeah, sure.  I was so surprised when the pyramid marketing product didn't work as advertised...

Unfortunately, my wife bought  bunch of this crap and even got on the 'chemical free' and 'all-natural' bandwagon as well for a time, although she never stopped using soap.  I brought some reason to the situation after I started listing the 'all-natural' stuff that could kill you every time either of them mentioned anything about the brand or being chemical free/all-natural.  You know, stuff like venom, lead, various parasites, uranium, plutonium, etc...

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 06:57:39 AM »
I've never gone no soap, but I've definitely done no shampoo.  Shampoo is really bad for the hair and scalp.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 07:10:20 AM »
I stopped using shampoo completely a little over a year ago, and now only use conditioner. But Not sure that's what you're talking about here. I still use soap.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 07:14:08 AM »
No shampoo isn't the same as no soap.

Because ew. no soap?

I mean- it's one thing to take a RINSE- super fast when you aren't really super dirty and just need to rinse sweat off- but come on- no soap for good? Nope nope nope nope

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 08:15:03 AM »
I read an article where a guy said that after not using soap or shampoo for a long time his body regulated his oil production and epidermal bacterial flora and he didn't really get smelly, etc. He showered, just without cleaning products. He did this for a long time.

merlin7676

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 08:16:02 AM »
I use soap on the bits and crannies everyday in the shower. But I don't soap up the rest everyday, usually every other day.  Same with shampoo..not everyday but then again my hair is buzzed short.
I'm on day 5 today of no deodorant as an experiment.   So far no unpleasant smell even at the end of the day.  Of course I have a desk job so I imagine if I were really working/sweating it would be different.

CodAlmighty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 08:23:04 AM »
I'm on day 5 today of no deodorant as an experiment.   So far no unpleasant smell even at the end of the day.  Of course I have a desk job so I imagine if I were really working/sweating it would be different.

Be careful with this, as other people may be able to smell what you can't. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with what you're doing, but check with someone else whether they can smell you. Also, make sure you ask someone you can trust and not someone who will lie out of politeness!

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 08:35:13 AM »
On occasion I have showered without soap but not for any money savings reason.  If it has been a lazy day where I woke up, stayed in the house all day without exercising, I will "rinse off" before going to bed, but not as a matter of habit.

On the shampoo side, I only shampoo my hair once a week.  If I do it more often, it gets really dry and frizzy.

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 10:24:33 AM »
I use olive oil for most of my washing needs.  Soap really aggravate my psoriasis.   I also found that sometimes i still smelled after showering and washing with soap.  Seriously, I tried lathering multiple times and tried using a body puff and I would still smell of Bo after getting out of the shower..  Since switching to washing with olive oil, my psoriasis calmed down and I get out of the shower smelling clean. I still wash my hands with soap after going to the bathroom and I'll use soap on my lady bits but other than that, it's olive oil for me.

Digital Dogma

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 10:42:52 AM »
Unfortunately, my wife bought  bunch of this crap and even got on the 'chemical free' and 'all-natural' bandwagon as well for a time, although she never stopped using soap.  I brought some reason to the situation after I started listing the 'all-natural' stuff that could kill you every time either of them mentioned anything about the brand or being chemical free/all-natural.  You know, stuff like venom, lead, various parasites, uranium, plutonium, etc...
Cyanide is all natural AND organic :)

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 10:46:25 AM »
I have been totally soap and shampoo free (this is easy, I'm bald) for over five years, except for hand washing. Immediately after my shower, I spray a solution of one part apple cider vinegar and one part water under my arms, then rub a crystal deodorant. Even though I am very active, walking and biking to work every single day, I do not have body odour whatsoever. If I did, I'd know right away, as my wife who has a very developed sense of smell, would have tell me right away without hesitation.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2016, 10:52:34 AM »
I'm not that wedded to the cause of FIRE. Soap and shampoo are non-negotiables. I actually buy my soap from a friend who makes hers and has a small business. The scents are nicer, and I like supporting small businesses.

That said, I had an itchy, scabby outbreak under my arms and on my breasts. I'm not sure what caused it, but I got some anti-fungal cream, and stopped using deodorant. It cleared up significantly.

Justchristine, do you use a special kind of olive oil, or just regular stuff from the store?

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2016, 10:58:10 AM »
If you allow a layer of dirt and oil to coat your hair and body instead of removing it with chemicals, it keeps out the evil spirits, er, sorry, I mean the toxins.

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2016, 11:02:48 AM »
Sometimes during a climb we might go 4-5 days without a shower and don't really notice the smell at the time.  Then when we get home and start washing our clothese it's like OMG that shit stinks.  No soap?  No thanks.

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2016, 01:44:41 PM »
I'm not that wedded to the cause of FIRE. Soap and shampoo are non-negotiables. I actually buy my soap from a friend who makes hers and has a small business. The scents are nicer, and I like supporting small businesses.

That said, I had an itchy, scabby outbreak under my arms and on my breasts. I'm not sure what caused it, but I got some anti-fungal cream, and stopped using deodorant. It cleared up significantly.

Justchristine, do you use a special kind of olive oil, or just regular stuff from the store?
I use the cheapest olive oil I can find.  At first it seemed weird to use oil instead of soap until I thought about what soap is made of...oil and lye.  Then after the psoriasis cleared up and I stopped smelling, I decided I didn't care if it was weird because it worked.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2016, 01:53:07 PM »
Cyanide is all natural AND organic :)

While cyanide is made up of carbon, it technically isn't considered an organic compound.  Although, it is natural!

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2016, 01:53:29 PM »

I use the cheapest olive oil I can find.  At first it seemed weird to use oil instead of soap until I thought about what soap is made of...oil and lye.  Then after the psoriasis cleared up and I stopped smelling, I decided I didn't care if it was weird because it worked.

My DW uses a little avocado oil (she tried wheat germ but doesn't like the smell) mixed with pure floral water to hydrate her face, morning and bedtime. Her skin is lovely and fresh :)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2016, 02:14:31 PM »
I use soap and shampoo, BUT:

I've gone on camping trips where I didn't shower for weeks.  Obviously I smelled but suffered no illness Or skin problems (I did occasionally wipe off dirt with a wet towel)

Gunny

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2016, 05:54:26 PM »
I haven't washed my hair with shampoo or soap in over two weeks.  My wife says my hair smells neutral and my scalp is flake/itch free.  I simply rinse my hair with water in the shower.  I also only use Ivory soap and only under my arms, face, hands, and...umhm...those unmentionable places.  My skin is less dry and I feel clean and fresh. 

StacheInAFlash

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2016, 08:38:04 PM »
I did this for around 3 months (along with no deodorant) and honestly, it was totally fine which was confirmed by wife and trustworthy friends who wouldn't be afraid to tell me I smell like ass. My (short) hair was grungy for a week or so before, like others have said, my body just balanced itself. It really is the craziest thing, but just rinsing daily with a hot shower was all I needed. I went back to soap and shampoo for no good reason other than I found my showers to be too short and boring. I never realized before I started how much I enjoyed the routine of the shower and when all of a sudden it went to just standing there doing nothing, I found it unsettling and I didn't like it. A nice morning shower to wake up is really nice, and I find lathering up my head with shampoo to be a rather invigorating start to the day.That being said, I might try it again though as my skin is starting to itch more which I do attribute to excessive soap use.

I do think some people are better suited for the no-soap shower than others. Some people are just way greasier and/or hairier and/or stinkier naturally, and for them I think it won't work or maybe it would but with a much longer and rougher transition period. My wife, for example, was always befuddled that I could just not wear deodorant and not stink. I still barely use it. A stick lasts at least a year or 2 for me, while she burns through them every few months. And I promise I don't stink...I'm not some crazy who is out to save $13 a year by not using proper hygiene. It certainly is not a real money saver idea, unless you currently use a stupidly expensive shampoo.

And yes, I always continued washing my hands with soap and water.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2016, 09:03:23 PM »
I thought it was a serious question!
I started using coconut oil to wash my face. I have one of those electric exfoliaters that I use with the oil. My acne and dryness finally started going away.

I also stopped using shampoo and conditioner. I had severe dandruff for years that finally went away. Instead I use a mixture of bentonite clay and apple cider vinegar. And I stopped using deodorant years ago, but I haven't told anybody :-)  I think laundering your clothes is very important, as clothes do retain smells.

MVal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2016, 11:57:41 AM »
Most of my soap and other body care products come to me as gifts for birthday and Christmas (my sister work seasonally for BBW), so I usually only have to buy shampoo during the year, and I sometimes stretch that by mixing it with baking soda water. As long as I'm spending less than $20/year on hygiene products, I'm going to continue to use them.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2016, 12:38:01 PM »
My first hubby did not have to wear deodorant. He just never smelled. I need deodorant or it is not pretty. I can't imagine not using soap or shampoo. I would not feel clean.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2016, 02:17:57 PM »
Sorry for the troll. I just couldn't help myself with some of the goofy posts that have been on here lately. "Being smelly and covered in sores saves you money!"

Nah, I just hang up my toilet paper and re-use it when it's dry.

mohawkbrah

• Bristles
  • every day they see me hustling those pennies away
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2016, 01:17:36 AM »
in reality i think you just need water and a good scrubbing to remain clean. a lot of these shower gels and soaps are more for making you smell nice as opposed to a neutral smell if you only used water. I've done no shampoo before but you have to really make sure you wash your hair often otherwise it will egt greasy fast. though it is a great way to get natural soft hair and can style it much easier

CATman

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2016, 09:34:34 AM »
No soap or shampoo for years here. Yes I do shower and still use deodorant.  I use a washcloth to thoroughly scrub my skin/scalp when I shower. I do use soap when washing my hands and when I've been working in the garage/kitchen and need to get sticky/oily things off. At first my hair did get very oily, but after a month or so, things evened out and now it looks/feels great.

Unlike the OP I actually found my skin improved drastically after not using soap. Most likely related to the fact that I stopped stripping all the natural oils off my skin. As for my face this means my body stopped over producing oils and my complexion improved tremendously.

I workout regularly, and have met multiple other people including women ho constantly tell me I smell great.

Just like living frugally, it may not be what most people are used too, but that doesn't automatically make it bad.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2016, 09:42:35 AM »
I've been using shampoo fairly irregularly over the past month, since I have been biking to work and showering there. When I do that I don't use shampoo.

The first few times the next day my hair was really oily. Now it's much better even if I go several days.

I'd like to just stop using shampoo someday entirely.

GetItRight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2016, 05:02:36 PM »
Most shampoo is hard on your hair, dries it out as well as your scalp. I use soap daily but shampoo every few days when my hair starts feeling greasy.

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2016, 01:14:50 PM »
Shampoo gave me nasty, itchy sores on my scalp; I've tried all kinds, and nothing works well. As an experiment, I stopped using it about 3-4 weeks ago, and so far, my hair looks great, feels fine, and smells fine, as spouse confirms. For the first time in many years, my scalp does not itch.

I use soap mostly on my hands, or when something is actually dirty with something other than sweat. Otherwise, rinsing and scrubbing does me just fine. I also use deodorant, because when I don't, I reek.

I understand the knee-jerk reaction of "ew" to something unfamiliar -- I've had it myself to some threads on this forum -- but seriously, soap is not magic. Shampoo is not magic. Sometimes they're called for, and sometimes they're not.

Grid

• Bristles
  • I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2016, 04:16:17 PM »
I do almost exactly as RedmondStash has been doing for a couple of years now.  Soap when needed (for grass stains or mud mostly), and shampoo/conditioner pretty much never.  Deodorant after I shower.  My two inches of hair is "fun" for my SO when I do this; the hair becomes more "moldable" than before.

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2016, 07:23:43 PM »
I don't know that I would go soap free. I do only shower every other day or sometimes every third. I'm not naturally a stinky guy.

Second day I just rinse my face with cool water, if I biked or worked out I'll wipe my pits with water and a washcloth.

I do use a little deoderant, but really try to go light with that.

I know I'm not reeking because my wife is happy to tell me, "Take an f'in shower, you stink."

electriceagle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2016, 11:07:49 PM »
No shampoo here for more than half a year. I find that my hair looks and feels more natural than before. There is no oil removal-oil overproduction cycle. I do rinse my hair thoroughly every time I shower.

For everything else, I try to use either Dr Bronners or the plainest soap that I can get my hands on. Since switching to doing less, I've lost most of my acne and am generally happy with the results.

I tried the crystal deodorant (aluminum oxide), but had a negative experience. I developed a pretty serious underarm sore after using it for a period of time. My guess - and it's only a guess - is that bacteria grew and multiplied on the deodorant surface, leading to an infection.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 07:10:33 AM by electriceagle »

CBnCO

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2016, 05:38:32 PM »
No soap or shampoo here for over five years. I chose to experiment with this less for the money savings and more for the idea of keeping chemicals off my skin. Right from the beginning I asked my wife to tell me if I ever smelled bad, I never did, so I stuck with it.

I do think the way you smell has some correlation to your diet, so the need for scent could vary individually. And, I do use a loofah scrubber or wash cloth in the shower to scrub myself off. I don't see myself using (or buying) either shampoo or conditioner again. It's been a positive experiment for me for sure. Particularly when traveling, it's very nice to not have to worry about packing or the TSA confiscating your cosmetics. I say give it a try, you never know.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2016, 02:21:55 PM »

I tried it, and it was a big help. Thank you! I'm not in love with the olive oil smell, but whatevs. My skin feels very clean and smooth now. :)

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2016, 04:38:46 PM »

I tried it, and it was a big help. Thank you! I'm not in love with the olive oil smell, but whatevs. My skin feels very clean and smooth now. :)
That's great to hear.  The light olive oil doesn't smell quite as strong as the regular olive oil, so that might be worth a try.  I've considered trying other oils thhat dont smell as strong but have been too lazy to experiment lately.

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2016, 10:17:36 AM »
I have been considering trying coconut oil. It smells nice and has antifungal and antimicrobial properties. Wondering if anyone else has tried it?

Tyson

• Magnum Stache

DreamPassion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2016, 12:03:54 AM »
Nope! I haven't tried not using both. Perhaps, I could have at least one for taking a bathe especially If I run out of supply but as much as possible I'll  make sure that I will use a soap and shampoo.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2016, 03:19:55 PM »
My DIL is from Poland and uses coconut oil on her face as a moisturizer and it works well. If everyone stops bathing, doing laundry and dumpster dives you can save tons of $:))  YOu may not have a job if people can't stand the smell.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2016, 10:00:19 AM »
My DIL is from Poland and uses coconut oil on her face as a moisturizer and it works well. If everyone stops bathing, doing laundry and dumpster dives you can save tons of $:))  YOu may not have a job if people can't stand the smell.

Is coconut oil even cheaper than moisturizer?  If money is the priority, I think Vaseline is the cheapest

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!