Author Topic: Has anyone been treated differently by people who think you're "poor?"  (Read 28910 times)

Timmmy

• Bristles
Re: Has anyone been treated differently by people who think you're "poor?"
« Reply #100 on: January 24, 2015, 10:52:48 AM »
Body cameras? Eric Garner, who the world watched get strangled by a policeman and then left without any form of medical aid for 14 minutes while the police stood around over loose smokes would disagree.

That had nothing to do with looking poor and everything to do with assaulting a police officer.

You are thinking Michael Brown

Nope but the same could be said for him as well.  Eric Garner resisted arrest and assaulted a police officer.  It's a well documented, but hardly talked about, part of the case.
No he did not, I've actually watched the video.  He verbally fought back and did not make it easy on the officers, but what he did was not illegal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Eric_Garner

attempted to handcuff him, Garner swatted his arms away

That's resisting arrest and assaulting a police officer.

Sources are available from the wiki if you want to verify.

So a cop is totally allowed to use an illegal chokehold and also be a total asshole lacking in humanity and the rest of us are just supposed to smile and say yessah massah. Got it.

Damn you guys need to do some reading.  The chokehold is not illegal, NYC council is now(last time I read) considering a change to make it illegal but as of this incident it was not.  Soooo much misinformation...

And yes, in order for our police officers to be able to maintain order they must be given the authority to respond with enough force to detain a criminal.  What exactly do you expect the cops to do when they try to cuff someone and they resist?  Calmly chat with them and hope they can be persuaded to let themselves be arrested?  Maybe they should just ask them nicely to come to the station to be processed.  You're living in a fantasy world.

And you're a fascist who could also stand to do some reading.

Garner's family has said that he had been harassed by the cops several times and was planning to make a formal complaint against NYPD, and that the actions of the police that day were retaliatory in nature.

And I honestly can't believe that you are putting forth the opinion that this man deserved to DIE because he was selling loose cigarettes.

Posts like yours make me wish I lived on another damn planet.

Edited to add: the chokehold is prohibited by the NYPD's own rules:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/12/03/the-nypd-banned-chokeholds-20-years-ago-but-hundreds-of-complaints-are-still-being-filed/

I think you're trying to insult me with the fascist comment but I'm not sure.  I thought personal attacks were "illegal" on this forum.  I'm pretty much the opposite of a fascist but don't let that stop you from calling me names. 

I don't know what about this is hard to understand.  You can't assault a police officer.  It doesn't matter if he was going to file a complaint or not.  He put his hands on a police officer and resisted arrest. 

Please show me where I put forth the opinion that he deserved to die for selling loosies. 

I'll buy your ticket to any planet you want. 

Prohibited does not make it illegal.  And yes it makes a difference.  He can be punished by the department for it but not held criminally liable. 

swick

• Magnum Stache
Re: Has anyone been treated differently by people who think you're "poor?"
« Reply #101 on: January 24, 2015, 02:49:03 PM »
MOD NOTE: Due to the excessive name calling, personal attacks, and outright jack-ass behaviour people are demonstrating on this thread, it is apparent that posters are not able to calmly and rationally discuss this topic without violating our very few forum rules.