Author Topic: Happy Valentine's Day  (Read 3566 times)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
Happy Valentine's Day
« on: February 13, 2020, 12:43:11 PM »
Roses are red,
Violets are trendy.
What should I do,
If my girlfriend is spendy?

Do you have any Mustachian / anti-Mustachian Valentine's Day stories?

BurtMacklin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Happy Valentine's Day
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 12:46:42 PM »
My wife and I have been celebrating Valentine's day with eating pizza and drinking beer for the past 18 years.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 12:56:09 PM »
I require quality chocolate. Zero interest in stuff like restaurants, cards, gifts, or whatever the hell else people do these days.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 01:00:25 PM »
A long time ago, when I lived in the Frozen North, I had to work a bit late on Valentine's Day. When I arrived home, my now-husband surprised me with a beach he built in the basement. He put a bag of play sand on a tarp, inserted a heating pad, grabbed every lamp in the house and set out our beach chairs.

You'll notice he is now my husband :)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 01:02:23 PM »
A long time ago, when I lived in the Frozen North, I had to work a bit late on Valentine's Day. When I arrived home, my now-husband surprised me with a beach he built in the basement. He put a bag of play sand on a tarp, inserted a heating pad, grabbed every lamp in the house and set out our beach chairs.

Did he build a wave pool in there the following year? :P

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 01:09:07 PM »
Our tradition is to make a special dinner at home (nothing too fancy, but a step up from the usual) and spend the evening painting (followed by other adult activities haha). Over the years we've gotten some art supplies and an easel and while neither of us are any good at painting, we enjoy the activity. We also write each other cards. Not expensive, we get to avoid Valentine's day crowds and expenses, and we get to spend quality time with each other.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 01:28:38 PM »
I require quality chocolate. Zero interest in stuff like restaurants, cards, gifts, or whatever the hell else people do these days.

Based on your profile pic, I knew you would have something to say!

This holiday, think of it as an excuse to do something nice for someone you love. Doesn't have to be expensive or big. Have nothing planned with guy casually seeing. But did mail a card to mom, got my kids mini boxes of chocolates plus will write them sweet note.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 01:32:38 PM »
We don't usually do anything, but this year we were asked to perform at an event. Since we will dance most of the night, even if the performance falls through, I invited a number of single ladies who thought going alone to V Day would be awkward. So, although we are a couple, we are hosting the singles table.

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2020, 01:40:43 PM »
I once knew a woman who as a child, her family always celebrated V-day exactly one week after V-day. Her dad would go out and buy chocolate, cards, etc after the real V-day at like a third of the regular cost.   

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2020, 01:47:31 PM »
I once knew a woman who as a child, her family always celebrated V-day exactly one week after V-day. Her dad would go out and buy chocolate, cards, etc after the real V-day at like a third of the regular cost.

Oh, that reminds me of a short lived tradition in our family. My grandparents moved in at the same time as my brothers went off to college. So my parents would take me away for Valentine's Day with just the three of us. I had forgotten about that, I always thought my unromantic views of V Day stemmed from my decades without a relationship!

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2020, 01:53:13 PM »
My dollar store is good in that they usually have a wide selection of inexpensive chocolate. But lame in that candy, chocolates they do not discount 50%, it just gets removed after the holiday.  ust have a section of 50% off silly merchandise.

So I can't take advantage of the 50% off candy, but the chocolate is not that expensive to begin with.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2020, 01:56:41 PM »
My wife and I have been celebrating Valentine's day with eating pizza and drinking beer for the past 18 years.

My wife and I have that exact same tradition for celebrating... Fridays.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2020, 02:03:16 PM »
We usually make a fancier than normal dinner and actively avoid restaurants. Last year, I made shrimp scampi. I also made something fancy for dessert but cannot remember it now. This year, husband is planning to make either crab cakes or his from-scratch, super rich, cooks-all-day spaghetti sauce. I have a bottle of Prosecco for something a bit festive.

I might pick up some heart-shaped candy tomorrow just to be a bit obnoxious.

BurtMacklin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2020, 02:03:47 PM »

My wife and I have that exact same tradition for celebrating... Fridays.
Yes, have done it many Fridays as well!

wageslave23

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2020, 02:07:32 PM »
Cook a nice dinner and hand write a letter.  You could also pick up a dozen roses from a grocery store or hardware store for $10.  On the other hand, taking her to a nice restaurant on V day, B day, and anniversary if that's what she likes isn't going to ruin FIRE either.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2020, 02:14:28 PM »
My MIL's anniversary is Valentine's Day. She is now a widow and the day is tough for her. She is a wonderful person and I am happy that my wife and I will be spending the day with her.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2020, 02:18:19 PM »

Did he build a wave pool in there the following year? :P
Haha. He told a friend about the beach and the friend replied, "You're never going to be able to top that one!" Which is pretty true.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2020, 02:46:15 PM »
We celebrate by buying cheap cheesy Valentine's Day dog toys at Petco on February 15th.  Just like Christmas.

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2020, 07:27:02 PM »
I’m a widowed mom whose had a Gentleman Friend (GF) for awhile. We have an informal ‘no gifts’ policy. We might for example, go kayaking on our birthdays and bring along a special picnic lunch for the birthday person, or pick up cheap concert tickets and treat the other. Nothing major.

Last year on Valentine’s Day there was a big rainstorm. I used the garage door opener to let the wet dog into the garage to dry off and while lowering it, the door went haywire and hung at an odd angle. GF is in a business where he knows lots of tradespeople so I called him for a referral. He didn’t have one but came over to take a look. I had to get kids to school and attend a meeting so left him there. When I got home there was a new door mechanism installed. On the counter was my new remote on top of a heart cut out of graph paper with a note that said “Who Loves Ya Baby”.

I thought that was a very romantic gesture! I am a lady with simple, but very good taste.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2020, 10:21:53 PM »

Some years I request Valentine's chocolates purchased on Feb 15th.  😄

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2020, 11:21:20 PM »
It's just a normal day for me (working) and the fiancé (on an overseas business trip). We will however take this coming Monday off work, just to spend time together. The agenda is cuddling at home :)

steevven1

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2020, 11:34:07 PM »
"Valentine's Day with FI Couples" (ChooseFI)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvAwTRJ5IV4

Free Spirit

• Stubble
  • Be water, my friend.
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2020, 11:39:23 PM »
You will find me in a fine dining restaurant, eating fancy delicacies and  drinking fancy libations...but I’ll be getting paid because it’s where I work. ;)

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2020, 12:09:16 AM »
The only year I did a "real" Valentine's day thing... I took my then-boyfriend to a really nice restaurant as a surprise (not just "expensive to me at the time," but I would still think it was very expensive today - entrees are $35-50). I did not make a lot of money at the time (~$26k) but I figured treating for one fancy dinner would be fine. We normally split the check on everything so I figured it would be a nice gift-y thing to do, and it would be nice to turn the tables on the usual V-day "men feeling obligated to spend a ton of money on women" tradition. He ordered the most expensive thing on the menu (lobster and filet mignon) and then when I suggested we share a dessert, he said he wanted to have his own :-/  Of course I was gracious about it and said nothing, but dang, if you know your partner doesn't make much money, maybe try to be the tiniest bit thoughtful about what you order... :-(   And no, this isn't one of those "and now he's my husband" stories, if you couldn't tell ;-)

dummy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2020, 12:25:25 AM »
Valentine’s Day. The biggest Hallmark holiday ever.

What a scam.

BussoV6

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2020, 01:07:27 AM »
We'll make some bruschetta topped with a good cream cheese and smoked salmon. Open a nice bottle of South African bubbly and we are set.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2020, 04:00:37 AM »
Today I saw a lot of nervous looking men running around holding expensive bouquets of flowers wondering if what they were about to give was enough to make their partners happy.

I also saw a lot of women with single roses jealously looking miffed at other women with bigger bouquets.

The happiest, and most content person I saw was a 5 year old trying to do handstands on the stairs at a train station with her dad watching on. She had two big rosy red hearts painted on her cheeks.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 04:02:14 AM by marty998 »

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2020, 06:06:17 AM »
Did you just want general suggestions @marty998?  I can interpret your poem more than one way -
- my GF will expect a really expensive present(s)
- my GF will buy me a really expensive present and I don’t want that
- my GF will spend way more on my present than I will on her present

I hope it all went well

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2020, 06:29:08 AM »
DH and I don't really exchange gifts, but there is a new-to-us RV sitting in our driveway, so I'm counting it. We'll probably spend the day continuing to prep it for its maiden (to us) voyage.

Tomorrow, we're hosting twelve for our group's monthly dice game. I'm making a heart-shaped chocolate cake for dessert and I will decorate with supplies left over from a Valentine themed party I hosted for a different group last week. I'm happy to re-use seasonal supplies. Since I store the group's paraphernalia in my garage all year long,, it's a good trade.

Hmm, this thread reminds me that I think I have an unused "To My Husband" Valentine's Day card in my stash of cards. I think I'll dig it out before he wakes up. Good reminder...THANKS, @marty998 !

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2020, 07:46:19 AM »
My husband was kind enough to run out yesterday and get Valentine's cards and little toys for my son's class, so that I didn't have to get up early and run to the store this morning. The school sent a reminder on Monday and I was working Tuesday through Thursday (12.5 hour shifts with 5 am start) so I did not have time to go get them. Now I need to do something nice for him.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2020, 09:20:36 AM »
Feeling pretty good about v day. So far spent total of $3 which might be my most mustachian yet. $1 each chocolates for kids, $1 card for mom. I bought a chalkboard for for a friend's baby shower (rather than disposable decorations) and did a Valentine's message on that. I still may break down and get some chocs for myself, but less than $10 all in. And actually I DO like celebrating Valentine's day romantically. My favorite would be a nice dinner out and private time before or after. Or even stay overnight somewhere. But all's the guys i have been with are not on the same page. I've even done the whole buying sexy lingerie and perhaps other things and the guy not remembering, doing anything for the day.  So,  just celebrate holiday with my  kids, sister and Mom. (I shouldn't say current guy does norhing. He doesn't plan anything but I will prob get 50% off flowers or chocolates this weekend at some point).
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 10:13:18 AM by partgypsy »

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2020, 09:34:32 AM »
When feeling nostalgic, will put up the shrine for Lupercalia and then run around naked with a wolf's head on.  It was 8 degrees this morning, though so just going to stick with the post-Chaucer traditions and write a love letter and have a nice meal (fully clothed).

never give up

• Walrus Stache
  • Kindness is free to give and priceless to receive
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2020, 10:36:05 AM »
Should be a cheap one for me. I’ve just checked the post and I’ve received zero cards. I have some fish and leftover rice and veg for dinner. I’m looking forward to playing Céline Dion’s ‘All by myself’ on a loop this evening.  It’s just starting to rain and today’s the day most of my monthly bills flood out of my account. Happy Valentine’s Day everyone!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2020, 11:34:56 AM »
Did you just want general suggestions @marty998?  I can interpret your poem more than one way -
- my GF will expect a really expensive present(s)
- my GF will buy me a really expensive present and I don’t want that
- my GF will spend way more on my present than I will on her present

I hope it all went well

Nah I just started seeing someone last week and she’s conveniently away on holidays missing both Valentine’s Day and my birthday! I did get her a box of Lindt chocolates to take with her so I upheld my end of the bargain. She’s not one for flowers, doesn’t see the point because they die so quickly.

The poem is ripped off from a friend who came up with something similar a few years ago. Like all romantic gestures, I can’t even pretend it’s original (ok, the beach I’m the basement above definitely is!)

SugarMagnolia77

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2020, 11:39:20 AM »
We joke that going out on Valentine's Day is like going out on St. Patrick's Day - it's for amateurs. We opt for a different day and do something small for each other on the real day. This morning, I got an orchid, bottle of champagne, and some of my favorite chocolate. Perfect. :)

I've giving fancy peanut butter cups and a new shirt.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2020, 01:40:12 PM »
My bf and I wished each other a happy valentine's day.

On a funnier note, some coworkers and I who are all in long distance relationships have made it a habbit to go out for dinner together on Valentines. So between all the couples there's just a 4-5 person group of people making fun of their lack of romance for the day.

Bobberth

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2020, 02:02:28 PM »
The wife and I dress in our fanciest clothes and hit the town.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2020, 08:59:37 PM »
We do cards and try to have a drink together before dinner. Tonight it was a nice rose champagne. Yum!

cupcakery

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2020, 04:41:50 AM »
DH gave me some chocolates and strawberries, I gave him scratch tickets and made a nice dinner.  We gave the kids chocolates and Starbucks gift cards.  I made Valentine's cookies and made little gift bags for some family, friends. and coworkers.  I also shot off a bunch of texts to some friends who I though could use a little love, but aren't local enough for cookies.

E.T.

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2020, 02:50:34 PM »
We have never missed watching one of the Lord of the Rings or Hobbit movies on Valentine's day. That is the only rigid tradition we have as a couple, it's great. This year we hung out with friends and watched Return of the King, extended edition.

julia

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2020, 07:28:29 PM »
My birthday is on valentines day so it would be a double wammy for my bf. The morning of, I asked him not to waste money on flowers because they will die = equivalent of burning money. So it was a regular day for us. I bought him a 2$ heart shaped chocolate.

Leisured

• Pencil Stache
  • Retired, and loving it.
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2020, 04:02:57 AM »

A true Mustachian!

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2020, 02:01:14 PM »

I gave beloved SO (bSO) chocolate-covered almonds on Valentine's Day.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 02:11:22 PM by John Galt incarnate! »

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2020, 02:21:24 PM »
We usually make a fancier than normal dinner and actively avoid restaurants. Last year, I made shrimp scampi. I also made something fancy for dessert but cannot remember it now. This year, husband is planning to make either crab cakes or his from-scratch, super rich, cooks-all-day spaghetti sauce. I have a bottle of Prosecco for something a bit festive.

I might pick up some heart-shaped candy tomorrow just to be a bit obnoxious.

Every Valentine's Day I cook bSO's  favorite meals for breakfast (breakfast in bed), lunch, and dinner.

I don't do this to save $.

I do it because we don't want to go out to eat so that we can spend lots of quiet time together.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2020, 03:02:14 PM »
I got my GF a fancy piece of Ahi tuna and a bottle of wine for Valentine's Day and we cooked at home. We sometimes go out for dinner for Valentine's Day, but when we do we do it before or after V-day to avoid the madness.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!