Author Topic: Happy Friday  (Read 6389 times)

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
Happy Friday
« on: November 21, 2014, 06:54:23 AM »
I don't know if it is considered 'un-Mustachian', but I'm pretty happy when I finish my slightly less annoying commute and arrive at my workstation, warm breakfast taco and free coffee in hand, on Friday.  Every other Friday, I look forward to my bank account getting a little more plump, and all of the opportunities that pure cash offers, and it is also the least stressful day of the week.  I'll probably be surfing the 'net at least 4 hours!!

I have lurked and participated on plenty of ER 'fora', so I'm quite aware that retiree's laugh at us indentured folk and our awareness of this thing called 'time' (it's 5 o'clock somewhere), 'day of the week' (dad'gummit, is it a weekend again, why do they let all these people outta their cubes?), and, most laughable, 'year' (OK, I jest, but it's not the 80's or 90's anymore you silly retired peeps).

So, in an effort to counterbalance the stuffy, somewhat depressing 'my work sucks and I can't wait for RE' nature of the PF blogosphere, I hope to start a thread on what we are happy about during this time we are working toward FREEDOM!

Maybe it'll be an epic fail, but I'll have plenty of YouTube clips to watch and lift my spirits in the meantime :)

Cheers, fellow Friday-aware colleagues.

Penny Lane

• Stubble
Re: Happy Friday
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 07:03:03 AM »
Is it Friday?

(Sorry-- retired!  You are on your way, don't worry!)

LibrarIan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 07:07:22 AM »
Happy Friday back. I was biking to work in 21° weather this morning, thinking about all the great benefits of biking when I almost ate it on a patch of ice in the road. Despite this almost-accident, I'm still keeping high spirits and currently enjoying clean, pure water from the break room's water purifier and digesting a packed breakfast. I'll spend my day writing SQL for the man but understanding that I'm smarter than the man. The man can't write SQL like I can.

odput

• Bristles
  • "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 07:09:36 AM »
Damn...how do I get me some of that perspective?

Every time I'm looking down the barrel of a day with 4+ hours of net surfing at work I keep thinking to myself what a waste of a workday - I'd rather be home spending time with my wife and son...why did past me shaft myself so hard?

Maybe it's because it has been slow here for awhile now and it's hard to maintain a positive outlook, but damn...days like this I just wish I was FI already (or at least not buried in SL debt so I could take a breather)

LalsConstant

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 07:14:37 AM »
I weigh myself on Friday mornings.  I have lost 4 pounds since last week.

The first topic of discussion today was the zombie apocalypse.

I have only 4 hours at the office today.  I have everything I need to kill the current project by the first week of December.

Next week is a much anticipated holiday and I get to surprise everyone with 55 pounds of weight loss since the last time that saw me in the spring.

F#ck yeah it's Friday!

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 08:52:22 AM »
Hey LibrariIan, I grew up around Cinti and biked to my classes at Purdue in the winter, so I can imagine your plight.  Not quite so tough in Houston, although it is a bit misty and overcast.

Oddput, probably helps that I'm FI and could've stayed home if I wanted (in fact, I'm quite aware that I'm foregoing vacation days that I can't carry over unless I take 22 days off between now and the end of the year, not counting the days I already get off).  Being at work helps me focus, gets rid of home distractions (which I'll have plenty of this weekend).  Just hoping to put some positive vibes out there, too many people seem to be wishing their days between now and FI away, but every day is created equal, it's just how you look at it.  I wish I'd posted this to myself back in my 20's, maybe I would've been more content.

If you're in the MMM Forum reading this, pat yourself on the back.  It's good to be leading an intentional life!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 08:57:48 AM by EscapeVelocity2020 »

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 08:59:39 AM »
I weigh myself on Friday mornings.  I have lost 4 pounds since last week.

The first topic of discussion today was the zombie apocalypse.

I have only 4 hours at the office today.  I have everything I need to kill the current project by the first week of December.

Next week is a much anticipated holiday and I get to surprise everyone with 55 pounds of weight loss since the last time that saw me in the spring.

F#ck yeah it's Friday!
Nicely done Lal!  I hope the zombie apocalypse holds off long enough for us to enjoy the holidays

forestbound

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 09:53:23 AM »
Love this thread! Love FRIDAYS! I too have a short schedule at work on Fridays. I am grateful to be my own boss, has an easy-peasy commute 26 steps through the cold to my office, and two dogs to provide me with stress relief, when stuff hits the fan... ah, maybe this is my retirement??  ; )

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2014, 09:58:26 AM »
EVERYDAY is Friday to me. :)

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 10:10:39 AM »
Just hoping to put some positive vibes out there, too many people seem to be wishing their days between now and FI away, but every day is created equal, it's just how you look at it.  I wish I'd posted this to myself back in my 20's, maybe I would've been more content.

This is advice worth remembering.  One of my biggest challenges is remembering to enjoy life today instead of constantly obsessing over the countdown to FIRE, and for me it's only getting worse as I get closer.  Even though I am cognizant of this, it requires concerted effort for me to remember to enjoy life today instead of mentally putting my life in a holding pattern until FIRE arrives.  After all, every day closer to FIRE is also one day closer to death.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 10:17:31 AM »
Yeah yeah, and everyday is Monday to me, right :)  Have fun in Baja, definitely glad to have moved South when I read about 'bomb cyclones' and the snowpocalypse in Buffalo

Spartana - more than happy to be providing and making others lives better, enjoy your cubes and I'll try to make the most of  mine
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 10:20:22 AM by EscapeVelocity2020 »

AllieVaulter

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 11:02:49 AM »
I love Fridays too!  For the most part I enjoy my job.  But Fridays are the best because I usually have the most autonomy.  I get to do whatever my priorities are.  Plus, a benefit of working 10 hour days at the beginning of the week means I get a shorter Friday!  (Of course that makes Mondays worse...)

MrsK

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 11:57:38 AM »
I love Friday and payday.  I just checked all my balances and smiled.  Soon I am off to a nice lunch with a vendor and then I will do just a wee bit of emails clean up before I quit for the weekend.  Big hike planned for tomorrow.

I think it is important not to wish time away.  I try to plan a few things each day to enjoy, even if it is a short walk at lunch or to savor the rare joy of completing a project. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2014, 01:33:29 PM »

I think you mean every day is Saturday.  If every day were Friday you would need to show up at work, but would never get time off . . .

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2014, 01:43:20 PM »
Good point... I think what I was getting at was that the happiness that people feel when Friday comes is like the happiness I feel everyday being FIRE'd... but yeah, EVERYDAY is Saturday for me makes a bit more sense. Although like Spartana said, weekdays are much less busy than the weekend, so they are in fact BETTER in many ways.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2014, 06:26:16 PM »
Cubes? Cubes? You must mean the ice cubes that I put into my TGIMonday cocktail to celebrate all you working stiffs going back to work and leaving everywhere uncrowded for us ER'ers so we can play all week long  :-)!

But yeah, I actually do celebrate Mondays now and kind of dread Fridays because of the overcrowded weekends around here in overcrowded SoCal. But I do understand the joy of Fridays for people who work a traditional M - F workweek and also remember the agony of Sunday nights.

You're really good at inciting those jealousy feelings (refer to other thread). Keep them coming...it keeps me sane.

On the Friday topic:

My boss had scheduled a 4:00 one-on-one meeting with me on Friday. Then after lunch he postponed it until Monday. I quietly said to myself in my cubicle “Yeeeeesssss!!!”.

I felt like responding:
“Well that’s good, because you know I can get a little silly on Friday afternoons.”

But my response back was a more formal
“No problem.”
“You need a break after this morning’s meeting.”

He’s our new boss and was kind of raked over the coals by the group of 20 over the recent layoffs and some of the ridiculous things we had been asked to do…was quite entertaining actually. I love it when a meeting makes me feel like I am in the middle of a Dilbert cartoon. We are quite an irreverent group.

Oh well, as I get closer to FIRE, I hope to provide my boss and others around work with some more entertaining comments. My goal is to be Peter on Office Space. I might even borrow spartana’s TGIM comment. People will wonder why I am suddenly starting to like Mondays.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2014, 06:41:07 PM »
It would be kinda cool to remind retirees how crappy life is (a la Office Space / Dilbert) real-life sillyness.  Helps keep us sane as well as remind them how valuable freedom is :)

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2014, 05:01:10 PM »
Yeah, I'm guilty of spending way too much time on the Forum today, but it was the most meaningful part of my day (other than the jog with my wife and bringing my son to TKD).  Work was almost non-existant, so it was nice to have a good forum discussion, even though I started off on the wrong foot, and made a few more missteps along the way.  Cheers.