Author Topic: Happy 2020!!! New Years Mustachian Resolutions?  (Read 3391 times)

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
Happy 2020!!! New Years Mustachian Resolutions?
« on: December 31, 2019, 10:08:11 PM »
Happy New Year everyone! 

So what are your New Years Mustachian Resolutions? 

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Happy 2020!!! New Years Mustachian Resolutions?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2019, 10:29:52 PM »
Be less productive and make less money.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2019, 10:37:31 PM »
Wreak havoc; say no a lot; get promoted.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 10:47:26 PM »
New job with better pay. Hopefully better people but lets not ask the impossible.

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2019, 11:17:46 PM »
-improve my health through exercise, weight loss, more sleep, and being more attentive to my body.

-curse less. I’ve been horrible of late. Less F and S bombs.

-be less “politically correct”, but do it while striving to be more kind.

-end the year with more wealth than we started with.

-advocate apoliticism. Even if political discussion makes me want to gag.

-try to be the answer to someone or something’s prayer.

- strive to be a trophy husband.

BigMoneyJim

• Bristles
    • Jim's Personal Finance Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2019, 11:43:03 PM »

This!

Also, I want to not work for anyone besides myself in 2020.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2020, 05:35:42 PM »
Survive.  This year at work is going to be a PITA, major project that is all hands on deck.  The good news that it's challenging the bad news is it's challenging type of thing.

lentil

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2020, 06:23:42 PM »
See more owls.

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2020, 05:11:25 AM »
Don't chicken out; actually retire this spring.

FindingFI

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2020, 08:40:43 AM »
Live in the moment - Thinking about the past won't change it and worrying about the future isn't helpful.
Reduce/simplify - Looking at you overflowing closet and basement shelves.
Watch the stash grow.
Oh, and put down the goddamn phone!

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2020, 10:25:11 AM »
This sounds funny, but: track our spending.

I've always been in the "save 50%" and don't worry about the rest. So we haven't historically tracked what we spend, it's just sort of balanced out savings/spending so our flow remains constant.

This year, I asked my spouse, since he is drawing close to (early/conventional) retirement age to join me in a spread sheet so we could see how much we spend. Part of our issue is that being FT career people with kids, the dynamic of our spending would change a lot of one or two of us would retire. This includes summer camps and after school camps for the kid, commuting costs, "pay someone else to do it costs" like mowing lawn and maid services. I want to break it down and see what our spending would look like if we (or he) threw in the towel.

We are very conservative about our # so I'm sure lots of you would be retired already but we also have a big spend, so it's important to get a handle on that.

effigy98

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2020, 10:34:51 AM »
Want a Tesla Model Y. Do not want to pay 50k for it and rather use that to invest into my personal freedom fund. Will be FI this year if we do not have a major correction. Choices... choices.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2020, 10:59:24 AM »
-A more plant-based diet
-Less food waste
-Better communication of personal needs and enforcement of boundaries
-Increase retirement savings (we're doing okay on cash and HSA)

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2020, 02:56:15 PM »
Pedal More. Route back and forth to work is hilly and challenging so do that more. Less sugar. More veggies. Being more active. Continuing positive adjustments to my role at work.

Get more of my back burner projects done. Some have been waiting for a long time at this point. That whole got money but no time, got time but no money, etc. This year I make it all work.

MoneyTree

• Bristles
    • Journal - The Best Time to Plant a MoneyTree
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2020, 06:20:51 PM »
eat out less
more time on the bike
drive less

and...reach FI!

Lucky13

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2020, 06:46:30 PM »
2020 resolution is to finally RE after being FI for several years.

January resolution, for one month:
1. no alcohol - did it last year and was good break and saves money
2. no Starbucks - making coffee at home instead of buying at coffee shops

DT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2020, 06:59:42 PM »
No online shopping from overseas websites, I always purchase more than necessary to qualify for free shipping.

No purchase of chocolate - should reduce my consumption by 75%

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2020, 07:00:08 PM »
No cost of living creep.

Stop spraining and breaking things on my body.

Get out of town and see a little of the world.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2020, 09:49:47 PM »
-Achieve the halfway paid off point on our mortgage
-Lose 15 pounds
-Run another half marathon
-Some general self improvement (listen more, judge less, avoid unnecessary news/politics consumption, reduce cursing)

msbutterbean

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2020, 07:00:03 AM »
Hiking the Appalachian Trail. Not all of it, and not all at once, but we are organizing out weekends and regional travel around it and will cross off little bits as we do them. We kicked it off with a New Year's Day outing and are mapping out the summer's camping trips this weekend.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2020, 03:13:57 PM »
I'm going to ride my mountain bike more often.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

BussoV6

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2020, 02:33:04 AM »
Work less, earn more.

JSMustachian

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2020, 02:29:31 PM »
-Maintain our 70% savings rate and spend the rest.
-Do some spring cleaning to declutter the house.
-Exercise more.
-Buy my first bike since high school.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2020, 03:18:22 PM »
Work less, make more money.
Move a little faster on some of my real estate to-dos
Move to somewhere that makes more sense (any suggestions in the Chicago area where you can get a house on at least an acre or two, ideally more, that has no dog limit and doesn't cost a bazillion dollars? I'm all ears; it's a tricky combination)
Manage my mental bandwidth a little better (less news/noise/nonsense consumption)
Continue and build on certain healthy habits
In bed on time more often, for increased sleep and boning
Visit local and non-local family a little more often - I've been bad about this the last couple years

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2020, 04:24:02 PM »
Work less, make more money.
Move a little faster on some of my real estate to-dos
Move to somewhere that makes more sense (any suggestions in the Chicago area where you can get a house on at least an acre or two, ideally more, that has no dog limit and doesn't cost a bazillion dollars? I'm all ears; it's a tricky combination)
Manage my mental bandwidth a little better (less news/noise/nonsense consumption)
Continue and build on certain healthy habits
In bed on time more often, for increased sleep and boning
Visit local and non-local family a little more often - I've been bad about this the last couple years

Haha, nearly missed that wee gem

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2020, 04:45:44 PM »
Stay as calm as Mr. Spock (star trek) while still disturbing shit appropriately.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2020, 05:36:02 PM »
This

But also this.

Does that make any sense?

I want to find the joy in life again.  I guess I have set GOALS for so many years now, that I'm kind of over it.

I had a great 2018 in running.  Ended the year injured, spent all of 2019 chasing running goals that I didn't hit, dealt with 2 more injuries and setbacks, and was mostly unhappy through it all.  I want to run for the JOY.  No time goals.  Just FUN.

I want to cook for the JOY in cooking again.  We've been just putting one foot in front of the other to get food on the table, trying to hit a grocery budget (and failing), and trying to keep weight in check (and failing), and not enjoying making the 5 things we have time to make.  I spent some time over the holidays cooking new things and it was FUN.  And then I remembered - I used to do that a LOT.

Be PRESENT for my family and enjoy them.

Be KIND to the world.  Kindness is pretty simple I think.

(So screw the race goals, the grocery budget goals, the reading goals)

Say NO to the BS at work (and to be honest, really really start looking for a new job because this place pays terribly and is making me miserable).

So NO to the outside/ family guilt trips.  We go visit our families on the opposite coast every 2 years.  We are due this year.  It's my 50th this year.  I made the executive decision to go to Hawaii instead, because that's what I want!  So now the guilt trips "oh, well, would you consider sending the kids east for a week?  4 years is a long time to not see them!" 
- First off, no.  You can have the teen, but not my baby.  He's 7.  Just. No.
- Second off, planes fly in both directions.  By my count you took 4 or 5 trips involving plane flights last year (we took one), and, um, none of them were to visit us.
- Third off, it's not 4 years, if we come next summer it's 3.  And maybe we'll come for Christmas. 
- Fourth, there's a non-zero chance that MY family will come visit this summer for a week, so that makes two weeks I'll be taking off (Hawaii + their visit), so adding a trip east in there ... nope.

I have no resolutions or goals, aside from giving myself the permission to HALF ASS everything so it's fun and not a chore.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2020, 05:53:57 PM »
I'm a fan of setting goals, but not really a fan of the "new years resolution" gimmick. 

I set some new health/nutrition/fitness goals for myself last year ~ Sept and am continuing them into 2020.  It was nice knowing I already had reached much of my initial goals before the year finished out.

MoseyingAlong

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2020, 06:14:19 PM »
This

But also this.

I want to find the joy in life again.  I guess I have set GOALS for so many years now, that I'm kind of over it.

I had a great 2018 in running.  Ended the year injured, spent all of 2019 chasing running goals that I didn't hit, dealt with 2 more injuries and setbacks, and was mostly unhappy through it all.  I want to run for the JOY.  No time goals.  Just FUN.

I want to cook for the JOY in cooking again.  We've been just putting one foot in front of the other to get food on the table, trying to hit a grocery budget (and failing), and trying to keep weight in check (and failing), and not enjoying making the 5 things we have time to make.  I spent some time over the holidays cooking new things and it was FUN.  And then I remembered - I used to do that a LOT.

Say NO to the BS at work (and to be honest, really really start looking for a new job because this place pays terribly and is making me miserable).

So NO to the outside/ family guilt trips.  We go visit our families on the opposite coast every 2 years.  We are due this year.  It's my 50th this year.  I made the executive decision to go to Hawaii instead, because that's what I want!  So now the guilt trips "oh, well, would you consider sending the kids east for a week?  4 years is a long time to not see them!" 
- Second off, planes fly in both directions.  By my count you took 4 or 5 trips involving plane flights last year (we took one), and, um, none of them were to visit us.
- Third off, it's not 4 years, if we come next summer it's 3.  And maybe we'll come for Christmas. 
- Fourth, there's a non-zero chance that MY family will come visit this summer for a week, so that makes two weeks I'll be taking off (Hawaii + their visit), so adding a trip east in there ... nope.

I have no resolutions or goals, aside from giving myself the permission to HALF ASS everything so it's fun and not a chore.

@mm1970
This is fantastic. I want to do those also. Especially finding the joy!

Kay-Ell

• Stubble
  • Semi-retired in 2017
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2020, 06:27:33 PM »
-One of my big goals in 2020 is to spend less time on my phone and be more present in the moment. This includes buying an old fashioned alarm so I don’t sleep with my phone charging beside my bed. Also includes leaving it alone in my purse during phone free times of day.
-Along those lines - get up 30 minutes earlier (instead of checking my phone first thing) and stretching and making tea before getting the little kid up and ready for school.
-Do something fun and free for an hour with the little kid after school each day. Today we went to the park and she rode her bike. Then as a bonus we made banana muffins.
-Implement a chore chart and allowance to begin teaching the little kid about money and responsibility. As well as having a cleaner house that doesn’t rely solely on me.
-Do more zero waste things including making my own tooth paste, laundry detergent and moisturizer.

Things I’m already doing well and want to continue doing:

-Walking the dog 2-3 miles per day
-Composting
-Make an even bigger, more productive garden this year
-Eat even more salads than last year (transition to soups in winter)
-Do two real estate flips instead on one

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2020, 05:22:16 AM »
This

But also this.

Goals can be great, but goals can also be toxic and hold you back from fully living your own life.

If the motivation behind the goal is from beating yourself up for not doing/being enough, then that might not be healthy. If the motivation is to alter the balances in your life to be better able to be healthy and happy, then that's a different matter.

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2020, 06:03:20 AM »
Retire.  Then hike a lot.