Author Topic: H.R. 6489, the Social Security Reform Act of 2016  (Read 39409 times)

dude

• Handlebar Stache
Re: H.R. 6489, the Social Security Reform Act of 2016
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2016, 07:35:21 AM »
In my 35-year lifetime, the SS payroll tax rate has been increased by 16%, the SS wage base has been increased 328% (with the government's own BLS CPI data shows inflation increasing only 263% in that time), and my full retirement age has been already pushed out two years. 

Now they want to make me pay more, delay my benefits a couple more years, and reduce promised benefits even more?

F that.

There is not enough money going into SS to meet the money going out in the future.
What fiixes would you propose to correct that very real problem?

Every couple years when the congresscritters pass a new bill to "permanently fix" social security, they never consider making any changes to the people who are already collecting benefits.

Maybe they should re-calculate the benefit calculation for everyone who is already drawing the monthly check, with the same formulas that are supposed to be applied to people who are still working.

+1
I am getting kind of tired of hearing that the problems created by the baby boomers need to be fixed, but the boomers can not sacrifice anything in order to do it. The fact remains that all of those alive had some part in the 20 trillion spent but not paid for. To make a plan to have future generations pay for it does not sit well with me, especially since we are about to witness the largest transfer of wealth ever seen in human history, and most likely a 100% tax free transfer ($5,500,000 tax free transfer is not enough).

When you die, your debtors come calling to collect before the remaining is given to your beneficiaries. Why isn't the same true for deficits and debt of the country. Do you think we would be talking about tax cuts today if there was a 100% inheritance tax until the national debt is paid off? Not saying that is my solution, but boy would that encourage us to pay our bills as we go.

Absolutely right, and the only reason they make the changes prospective is because they know the AARP would crush them and vote their asses out of office if they fucked with current benefits.  But those same folks should be just as outraged about Congress trying to do the same to their kids' and grandkids' benefits.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2016, 07:37:59 AM »
In my 35-year lifetime, the SS payroll tax rate has been increased by 16%, the SS wage base has been increased 328% (with the government's own BLS CPI data shows inflation increasing only 263% in that time), and my full retirement age has been already pushed out two years. 

Now they want to make me pay more, delay my benefits a couple more years, and reduce promised benefits even more?

F that.

There is not enough money going into SS to meet the money going out in the future.
What fiixes would you propose to correct that very real problem?

Every couple years when the congresscritters pass a new bill to "permanently fix" social security, they never consider making any changes to the people who are already collecting benefits.

Maybe they should re-calculate the benefit calculation for everyone who is already drawing the monthly check, with the same formulas that are supposed to be applied to people who are still working.

+1
I am getting kind of tired of hearing that the problems created by the baby boomers need to be fixed, but the boomers can not sacrifice anything in order to do it. The fact remains that all of those alive had some part in the 20 trillion spent but not paid for. To make a plan to have future generations pay for it does not sit well with me, especially since we are about to witness the largest transfer of wealth ever seen in human history, and most likely a 100% tax free transfer ($5,500,000 tax free transfer is not enough).

When you die, your debtors come calling to collect before the remaining is given to your beneficiaries. Why isn't the same true for deficits and debt of the country. Do you think we would be talking about tax cuts today if there was a 100% inheritance tax until the national debt is paid off? Not saying that is my solution, but boy would that encourage us to pay our bills as we go.

Absolutely right, and the only reason they make the changes prospective is because they know the AARP would crush them and vote their asses out of office if they fucked with current benefits.  But those same folks should be just as outraged about Congress trying to do the same to their kids' and grandkids' benefits.

Screw the lazy millennials.  [/s]

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2016, 07:42:49 AM »
I'm 10 years away from eligibility, with 33 years of paying into the system.  And now you want to pull the rug out from under me?  Fuck you.  There are many ways, as noted by others in this thread, to continue SS's solvency for a long, long time; most generally, by raising contributions in some form. SS is VITAL to a huge swath of Americans -- the EBRI projects that 75% of retirees will live on SS alone in retirement -- and we cannot allow the greedy billionaires who own the GOP to gut it.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2016, 07:44:42 AM »

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2016, 08:31:27 AM »
I'm 10 years away from eligibility, with 33 years of paying into the system.  And now you want to pull the rug out from under me?  Fuck you.  There are many ways, as noted by others in this thread, to continue SS's solvency for a long, long time; most generally, by raising contributions in some form. SS is VITAL to a huge swath of Americans -- the EBRI projects that 75% of retirees will live on SS alone in retirement -- and we cannot allow the greedy billionaires who own the GOP to gut it.

Counting on the federal government to fully fund your retirement = terrible retirement planning.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 08:33:44 AM by Schaefer Light »

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2016, 08:42:15 AM »
About what I'd expect from the R's.  All benefit cuts and no attempt to pick the easiest low-hanging fruit: raising the amount of income that is subject to the SS tax.
Yep, typical Republicans: cutting benefits to high income folks ("...benefits are ... reduced for roughly the top half of retirees.  ... On top of this, high income retirees...would not receive a COLA. Fourth, the plan would limit the size of spousal benefits for higher-income retirees") and increasing benefits to low income folks ("...introduces a stronger safety net component to Social Security. For a low-earner who worked a full career, a new minimum benefit would boost monthly benefits by about 10 percent over current benefits. For a very-low earner with a full career, benefits would rise by over 20 percent").

Oh, wait, that's not what.... ;)

The problem with this approach is it turns the program into a re-distribution program and gives wealthier retirees and workers reason to work to dismantle it, which is ultimately what the GOP would like to see.
Those poor Republicans just can't catch a break, can they?  Don't cut high earner benefits and they're greedy; do cut high earner benefits and it's a trick....

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2016, 10:52:50 AM »
an interactive tool to test your solution
http://crfb.org/socialsecurityreformer/

I like
1) Put any new government workers on the SS system  9% (never understood why they were allowed to have their own system)
2) Apply a 3% surcharge above the current max  24%
3) 1.8% increase in payroll tax rate (0.9 employee and 0.9 employee) 64%  (So my share goes from 6.2%  to 7.1%)

Problem  solved!  what is next on the check list (world peace- N.P.)

Federal workers ARE on the SS system, so if you are thinking of them, you are misinformed.  There are some state-employed workers who are exempt.

BigRed

• Stubble
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2016, 12:22:27 PM »
About what I'd expect from the R's.  All benefit cuts and no attempt to pick the easiest low-hanging fruit: raising the amount of income that is subject to the SS tax.

And it's bad for my personal situation because it raises my full retirement age by two years, which presumably means I would take a bigger hit if I start drawing benefits early.  I consider it a personal foul to make such a fundamental change to benefits for people who are 30 years into their careers.  Kind of like moving the goal posts when I'm on the 10 yard line.  The elimination of taxes on benefits might help some, but my FIRE income is likely to be low enough that I would not be paying much tax on SS benefits anyway.

While I agree generally, it's worth noting that the income cap has been rising steadily for a while now, at far greater than the rate of inflation.  From 2016 to 2017, it's going up 9.3%!  (i.e., from $118,500, to $127,200).  So yeah, that's already happening.

This is misleading.  The income cap is based on wage growth, not inflation.  However, the law prevents the income cap from rising when COLA does not give a benefit payout increase. So, while there was wage growth last year, the income cap did not increase.  Instead, two years of income cap increase are happening at once, instead of over two years.  But, there is no acceleration of the income cap.  Additionally, the income cap was designed to cover 90% of income originally, it is down closer to 80% now due to increases in income inequality.  Fixing that alone would basically solve SS funding.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2016, 12:38:10 PM »

And it's bad for my personal situation because it raises my full retirement age by two years, which presumably means I would take a bigger hit if I start drawing benefits early.  I consider it a personal foul to make such a fundamental change to benefits for people who are 30 years into their careers.  Kind of like moving the goal posts when I'm on the 10 yard line. The elimination of taxes on benefits might help some, but my FIRE income is likely to be low enough that I would not be paying much tax on SS benefits anyway.

But they do that all the time. Some  years ago when I was in my. 50's they raised up the full SS date for me.

And then, just last spring, they pulled a fast one and got rid of "file and suspend" option a mere months before we could take advantage of it. And the cutoff birthdate? april 1954. My birthday is May 1954.

Edited to say: sorry, that later "full retirement age" change happened in the 1980's.

The gubmnt giveth, the gubmnt taketh away. Hence the problem with relying on Nanny G. And Barack Obama and the AARP signed off on the file and suspend fiasco. Foook them.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 02:30:34 PM by iris lily »

packlawyer04

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2016, 03:13:38 PM »
I find it hilarious on a board so founded in math, investments, return on investments, etc. that some of you are such fans of SS which is a complete joke.  SS is one of the reasons so many have to work longer than needed. If I had all of my SS contributions back I would be retired by now.  I'm 35, I would even take the deal that they can keep everything I have paid in so far if I can opt out of SS and future SS taxes from here on out.  It is a complete ponzi scheme.

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2016, 03:30:25 PM »
I find it hilarious on a board so founded in math, investments, return on investments, etc. that some of you are such fans of SS which is a complete joke.  SS is one of the reasons so many have to work longer than needed. If I had all of my SS contributions back I would be retired by now.  I'm 35, I would even take the deal that they can keep everything I have paid in so far if I can opt out of SS and future SS taxes from here on out.  It is a complete ponzi scheme.
The sad reality is that the vast majority families making under 50-70k a year are living paycheck to paycheck and have little hope of saving money to retire, and a very large percentage of those above that level don't have the discipline to do so.

Social security is a raw deal if you are one of the few with the discipline to contain your lifestyle and think long term, and happen to have no life disaster get in the way of your grand plan.  For the other 80-90% it is a safety net that keep you alive when you age out of the work force.  For many it is all they have to live on.  Pensions were looted, canceled, and managed into the ground.  401k's might as well be Greek for most.  IRA rules make even my head spin.

So yeah, Social Security is a ponzi scheme, but it keeps lots of retirees out of the gutter (and not by much).  Propose a better replacement and we'll talk.

Personally I would be very happy if the income cap were eliminated.  I'd be fine if the 6.2% were made variable to match program needs on some sort of actuary basis to assure solvency.  Killing it because it is far from ideal is ignoring the immense human suffering that would occur.

tomsang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2016, 04:16:22 PM »

I would guess that the IQ on these board are significantly higher than in the general population.  From reading these boards, there is a large portion of our members that claim and that show that they do not understand investments, returns on investments, time value of money, liquidity risk, sequence of events, etc. And they are significantly smarter than the general population.  Most of the population currently has zero savings and lives paycheck to paycheck.  I have been to a number of third world countries where the poor and elderly are living in the streets with sewage and trash surrounding them while the wealthy are in castle like estates with guards around them.  I don't want a country like that.  I would rather reduce the income and wealth inequality through taxation and safety nets and have a society where everyone is doing pretty well, and those that work hard, save, and have higher than average IQ's can do very well.

When you think of Social Security, Medicare, Welfare, and other social net programs you have to think about how they help the uneducated, handicapped and undisciplined.  Not how you would personally do under a different plan.  Also when you look at these programs you have to build in that you were buying insurance in case of disability or death that covers you and your surviving wife, and kids.  There are also cases where educated and disciplined people have significantly bad luck and lose it all close to retirement. 

Even with paying in on these programs we have people that are still able to retire before they are 40.  These programs are not sucking us dry, they are providing the minimums necessary to deal with people that are not capable of investing on their own.  They are good for our society and I hope that they are strengthened not dismantled.   

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2016, 04:44:21 AM »
Even though many in the US plan on working past 65, most end up retiring before that age due to health issues, layoffs, just can't take it any more etc.  So it strikes me as odd that raising the retirement age even further beyond the already unrealistic 67 is the first solution that many politicians reach for when they're trying to solve the SS conundrum.  The only thing I can figure is that politicians just don't understand (or don't care about) people who live in the real world.

Republicans don't want social security to exist at all. It's not about a genuine attempt to make the system solvent, it's about how to chip away at it bit by bit. SS is popular, so they can't outright say they want to get rid of it.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at, in a "playing dumb" sort of way.

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2016, 10:05:33 AM »

I would be very interested in engaging you for your opinion(continuing to ignore medicare for now), and I would also be very interested in your actual SS numbers. It is clear you are not a fan of SS. While I clearly see flaws in the system (as is pointed out in almost any Judge Judy episode), I feel the complete joke and ponzi scheme comments do not accurately reflect how I see the system. You do not like the system, you believe you could do better on your own, and you say you want out.  All might be true.  That does not make SS a ponzi scheme, because it is not.

It is closer to the exact OPPOSITE of a ponzi scheme(it isn't this either). It is by definition pay-as-you-go. The oldest such system is thought to be Germany's, which has been in operation for over 100 years. The "original" ponzi scheme lasted about 200... DAYS. If we do NOTHING to change SS, 75% of payments are still met forever. We can complain about what should have happened, but I am much more interested in clearly understanding where we are now, and focusing on where we want to go moving forward. After seeing the latest republican proposals, doing nothing seems like a better idea. I think we can do better then that.

I was very intrigued by your "if I had all my contributions back" comment, so I was very interested in trying to figure out what your numbers truly are. You can look up your actual numbers, I can not look up your numbers.  I found nothing on how to calculate how much I put in if I was 35 and I maxed out SS every year for 20 years, and what that amount of money would be today if I had it back. Has anyone found a calculator that does this?  I only found one that calculates payments, not contributions.

Assuming you have an employer, the max 2016 contribution is $7,347.00.  If you project the 2016 max backwards for 20 years (WAY overestimating actual payments, since the max payment 20 years ago was so much lower), the MOST you would have paid in would be $7,347.00 * 20 (starting at the age of 15) = $146,940.00.  Would that added amount to your bankroll enable you be retired?  If you are that close, would completely forgoing all past SS payments and earned benefits in exchange for no longer contributing to the system (buy your way out) pay off for you? It seems that you would be giving up tens of thousands of dollars in annual payments until you die starting 30 years from now in exchange for not paying into the system for just the few more working years you have left( even assuming you only get the 75% of projections if we do nothing). How are your actual numbers different than my poor attempt at estimating? What about estimates using the proposed republican plan?

Yours could be a very educational exercise if you were willing to share your actual numbers with this group. Would you be willing to share your actual SS withholding by year for your working career?

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2016, 10:24:07 AM »
Yours could be a very educational exercise if you were willing to share your actual numbers with this group. Would you be willing to share your actual SS withholding by year for your working career?
You could modify the 'SocialSecurity' tab in the case study spreadsheet to calculate the Future Value of each year's contribution, given some assumed interest rate.  Pick a withdrawal rate for the combined amounts and compare that to the calculated SS benefit....

tomsang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2016, 10:36:26 AM »
I was very intrigued by your "if I had all my contributions back" comment, so I was very interested in trying to figure out what your numbers truly are. You can look up your actual numbers, I can not look up your numbers.  I found nothing on how to calculate how much I put in if I was 35 and I maxed out SS every year for 20 years, and what that amount of money would be today if I had it back. Has anyone found a calculator that does this?  I only found one that calculates payments, not contributions.

You and your employer's contributions in total are listed on your Social Security statement. If you wanted to calculate how you would do if you had the money to invest yourself, you would have to figure out how much it would cost to buy insurance that covers all the death and disability provisions of Social Security.  Social Security is not just an investment account.  It is a safety net for those that may be impacted by bad luck and growing old. 

If you die, your household receives money to raise your children.  If you die and your spouse has not worked, she receives your benefits for her life, if you are permanently disabled you receive benefits, etc.  Like a lot of insurance there is no value to it until you need it.  So to figure out the cost of all of this is challenging.  Also, until we as a society are willing to kill off those that can not afford to live, I like the idea of these safety nets even though I believe there is a very slim chance that I will use them.  Especially, now that I am pretty much financially independent.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2016, 11:32:19 AM »

You and your employer's contributions in total are listed on your Social Security statement. If you wanted to calculate how you would do if you had the money to invest yourself, you would have to figure out how much it would cost to buy insurance that covers all the death and disability provisions of Social Security.  Social Security is not just an investment account.  It is a safety net for those that may be impacted by bad luck and growing old. 

If you die, your household receives money to raise your children.  If you die and your spouse has not worked, she receives your benefits for her life, if you are permanently disabled you receive benefits, etc.  Like a lot of insurance there is no value to it until you need it.  So to figure out the cost of all of this is challenging.  Also, until we as a society are willing to kill off those that can not afford to live, I like the idea of these safety nets even though I believe there is a very slim chance that I will use them.  Especially, now that I am pretty much financially independent.

Agreed, but the flip side of this is that SS benefits from premature mortality in a way that individual savings doesn't. Folks who die in their 40s and 50s with no minor children and either no spouse or a spouse with their own income pay large amounts of money into the program and get absolutely nothing back.

It'd be interesting to know how the sizes of the additional spending needed for the insurance-like aspects of SS and the extra income/savings for the program from the annuity-like aspects of SS compare.

Purple Economist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2016, 04:03:19 PM »

I would be very interested in engaging you for your opinion(continuing to ignore medicare for now), and I would also be very interested in your actual SS numbers. It is clear you are not a fan of SS. While I clearly see flaws in the system (as is pointed out in almost any Judge Judy episode), I feel the complete joke and ponzi scheme comments do not accurately reflect how I see the system. You do not like the system, you believe you could do better on your own, and you say you want out.  All might be true.  That does not make SS a ponzi scheme, because it is not.

It is closer to the exact OPPOSITE of a ponzi scheme(it isn't this either). It is by definition pay-as-you-go. The oldest such system is thought to be Germany's, which has been in operation for over 100 years. The "original" ponzi scheme lasted about 200... DAYS. If we do NOTHING to change SS, 75% of payments are still met forever. We can complain about what should have happened, but I am much more interested in clearly understanding where we are now, and focusing on where we want to go moving forward. After seeing the latest republican proposals, doing nothing seems like a better idea. I think we can do better then that.

Assuming you have an employer, the max 2016 contribution is $7,347.00.  If you project the 2016 max backwards for 20 years (WAY overestimating actual payments, since the max payment 20 years ago was so much lower), the MOST you would have paid in would be $7,347.00 * 20 (starting at the age of 15) = $146,940.00.  Would that added amount to your bankroll enable you be retired?  If you are that close, would completely forgoing all past SS payments and earned benefits in exchange for no longer contributing to the system (buy your way out) pay off for you? It seems that you would be giving up tens of thousands of dollars in annual payments until you die starting 30 years from now in exchange for not paying into the system for just the few more working years you have left( even assuming you only get the 75% of projections if we do nothing). How are your actual numbers different than my poor attempt at estimating? What about estimates using the proposed republican plan?

The maximum contribution for 2016 is $14,694.00.  You have to include the employer's contribution.  If your employer did not have to contribute this, you would receive this as increased wages.  If one invested $1224.50 per month for 20 years and had a 5% annual real return, then that would be worth $510,164.71.  If one had a 7% real return, the total would be $644,554.88

How is pay as you go the opposite of a Ponzi scheme?  What would happen if everyone in the US stopped working?  What will happen if the money coming in is less than the money going out?

The 75% argument is built on a lot of assumptions.  What happens if the fertility rate plummets?  What happens if labor force participation declines substantially?  What happens if real GDP growth is lower than projections?

BuildingFrugalHabits

• Bristles
  • Living the dream
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2016, 07:12:21 PM »
So I don't really understand that much about social security or how the benefits are calculated.  I probably need to get that book from the library that someone mentioned.  I logged in to SSA.gov and got an estimate of my benefits at 62, 67 and 70. 

Apparently the calculations assume you continue to work until full retirement age (67) making the same as I made last year.  So taking those numbers and plugging them into a spreadsheet along with my previous earnings, I calculate my total expected contributions to be $480,000 if I work until 67 making the same as I make now. 

My calculated benefits if I wait until 70 to collect: $3,273 per month.  If I live to be 78 (the average life expectancy for a male in the US).  My total expected benefit is $383,122 a full 20% less than I paid in.  Wait WTF?!?  This doesn't even account for the fact that I could have been investing this money all along.  I would have to outlive the average life expectancy by 2 years to simply break even on what was paid in.

I would expect a total annualized return somewhere around 3%, something conservative to least keep up with inflation but a negative expected return AND they want to reduce benefits more?  With numbers like this I don't understand why the program isn't rolling in the dough already!  The only thing I can think of is that the $3,273 is in 2017 dollars and would be much higher by the time 2040 comes around.  Someone please tell me it's better than what I'm seeing here.  I'm starting to wish SS was optional! 

« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 09:19:50 PM by BuildingFrugalHabits »

protostache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2016, 07:29:00 PM »
So I don't really understand that much about social security or how the benefits are calculated.  I probably need to get that book from the library that someone mentioned.  I logged in to SSA.gov and got an estimate of my benefits at 62, 67 and 70. 

Apparently the calculations assume you continue to work until full retirement age (67) making the same as I made last year.  So taking those numbers and plugging them into a spreadsheet along with my previous earnings, I calculate my total expected contributions to be 2934 w. belden ave Unit #1 Chicago, IL 60647480,171 if I work until 67 making the same as I make now. 

My calculated benefits if I wait until 70 to collect: $3,273 per month.  If I live to be 78 (the average life expectancy for a male in the US).  My total expected benefit is $383,122 a full 20% less than I paid in.  Wait WTF?!?  This doesn't even account for the fact that I could have been investing this money all along.  I would have to outlive the average life expectancy by 2 years to simply break even on what was paid in.

I would expect a total annualized return somewhere around 3%, something conservative to least keep up with inflation but a negative expected return AND they want to reduce benefits more?  With numbers like this I don't understand why the program isn't rolling in the dough already!  The only thing I can think of is that the $3,273 is in 2017 dollars and would be much higher by the time 2040 comes around.  Someone please tell me it's better than what I'm seeing here.  I'm starting to wish SS was optional!

Social security is not an investment and treating it like one is fundamentally misunderstanding the purpose of the program. Social Security is an insurance program and wealth transfer scheme. It protects the disabled, the elderly, widow(er)s, and children from living on the street when their source of income stops. The reason your benefits are less than your contributions is because all of us workers are collectively helping those people. It's not optional because sooner or later every single one of us will either be collecting from the program or will leave people behind who will.

BuildingFrugalHabits

• Bristles
  • Living the dream
« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2016, 09:01:10 PM »
Got it. I shouldn't think of it as an investment but a social program and that's totally fine.  But if that's the real purpose than maybe all wages should be subject to the tax to make it less regressive.

protostache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2016, 12:36:12 AM »
Got it. I shouldn't think of it as an investment but a social program and that's totally fine.  But if that's the real purpose than maybe all wages should be subject to the tax to make it less regressive.

I don't disagree, but if you take into account the benefit formula as currently implemented the program as a whole is pretty progressive. Low income workers get way more out of the program per dollar contributed than high income workers. I don't know how the proposed mini-PIA system would change that.

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2016, 04:22:28 AM »

You're thinking of life expectancy at birth.  If you've already made it to 70, your life expectancy from that point forward is another 14+ years (age 84).  So you need to add 6 more years of benefits to your numbers.

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/STATS/table4c6.html

packlawyer04

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2016, 06:38:14 AM »

The maximum contribution for 2016 is $14,694.00.  You have to include the employer's contribution.  If your employer did not have to contribute this, you would receive this as increased wages.  If one invested $1224.50 per month for 20 years and had a 5% annual real return, then that would be worth $510,164.71.  If one had a 7% real return, the total would be $644,554.88

How is pay as you go the opposite of a Ponzi scheme?  What would happen if everyone in the US stopped working?  What will happen if the money coming in is less than the money going out?

The 75% argument is built on a lot of assumptions.  What happens if the fertility rate plummets?  What happens if labor force participation declines substantially?  What happens if real GDP growth is lower than projections?

Exactly.  It is simple math.

If you want to make it mandatory, fine. It is 2016.   Allow the money to go into individual accounts where you cannot remove the money until 65. Allow the money to be invested in the market.  Not hard to set up. If you die, money goes to your survivors. So much wasted opportunity.  I'm losing 12% of my income and basically getting diddly back.

As far as the pay as you go, well, Congress should cut some other programs in order to pay what is needed now.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 06:41:07 AM by packlawyer04 »

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2016, 09:54:53 AM »
The maximum contribution for 2016 is $14,694.00.  You have to include the employer's contribution.  If your employer did not have to contribute this, you would receive this as increased wages.
I lived through the Act 10 legislation that was passed in Wisconsin in 2011.  I can guarantee to you that a slash in benefits(here I mean everything an employer pays less salary) does NOT immediately translate into an increase in salary. If you have bargaining power, a select few might be able to renegotiate that lost benefit back into salary, but buy and large, the reason for slashing a benefit is not to increase wages, it it so the paying organization(company,district, state, etc.) can spend less. I challenge you to take ANY benefit your company provides to you and try to turn it into the equivalent cash in your paycheck. It is not unheard of but becoming harder to achieve. But even if you DID assume the full amount went directly to you.........

If one invested $1224.50 per month for 20 years and had a 5% annual real return, then that would be worth $510,164.71.  If one had a 7% real return, the total would be $644,554.88
You did what I did... assumed the same contribution throughout 20 years. That is fine to get us started, but the real math will be quite different.  For example, in 1996, only the first $62,700 of wages is used to calculate your contribution.  In 2016, the first $118,500 is. I could go year by year to find the max wages, and the actual dollar amount someone that year would have maxed out, but I really wanted a calculator that already did that. I could not find one.  That is also why I requested the amounts that packlawer04 actually paid, since it was his/her claim that he would be better off starting over and relinquishing everything paid to SS thus far.

Another consideration is risk.  You can get market returns if you are willing to assume risk.  There are countless things to consider with regard to SS and you cover many of them in your post.  I address several of them below. When we are talking about the quality of life for our elderly, I am less willing to take on risk.  If my investments tank, I will go back to work. An 80 year old can not do that.  I am willing too assume that risk (but not for my expected spending for the next 4 years).  The 5% figure you stated sounds pretty aggressive.  Many are suggesting using 5% stock market projections over the next decade due to the recent 7 year bull run.  I would be more inclined to be conservative with this kind of money and as a result I would be likely to decrease risk substantially.  I would expect growth more similar to bonds and annuities and use a rate of about 2% - 4%, unless we change the program to say payments become a guarantee.  I do NOT recommend this.

How is pay as you go the opposite of a Ponzi scheme?
As I said, is is not.  But a ponzi scheme collapses.  Pay as you go does not collapse, it pays less unless changed. It is equally unfair to call SS a ponzi scheme as it is to call it the opposite of one.  It is also not correct to call SS a banana.  If someone makes that claim, I would propose SS is the opposite of a banana. We would both be equally incorrect.

What would happen if everyone in the US stopped working? 
Money coming in would be reduced to 0.  Under current rules, excess contributions would be distributed at a faster rate, until all is distributed.  Then payments would go to 0 ( I am guessing here... I do not know if rules are in place for 0% of the population having income).  This is not a very realistic exercise, but many of your other questions are not only possible, but probable.

What will happen if the money coming in is less than the money going out?
I think that is what IS happening now.  You pay reserves until exhausted, then pay what you collect.  I think the more important question should be: What do we want to do if we see this coming?  We did see it coming about 50 years ago.  We decided to make some pretty big changes in 1983, and make other smaller changes along the way.  That pushed out the date revenue failed to exceed payments but that date has come, and we are now there.

The new question being considered is how far can we push the date out where we can not pay 100% of expected payments.  If we do nothing, that date is the year 2035.  I believe the current republican plan estimates that date to be 75 years out. Here is a great article that lists many of the changes from the past 80 years:
http://money.usnews.com/money/retirement/articles/2015/08/10/how-social-security-has-changed-over-80-years

Notice how the discussion is no longer "what if revenue is exceeded by outlays".  That is now considered a given for the foreseeable future.

The 75% argument is built on a lot of assumptions. 
It certainly is, as are ALL projection and estimates. If SS is unchanged, that 2035 date will ebb and flow and is will be projected downward and upward many times until 2035. I would assume if Trump is successful in his 4% GDP growth goal, that date could move decades beyond 2035.  We'll see.

What happens if the fertility rate plummets?
It has for decades. That is the main reason why revenue no longer exceeds outlays. The nice thing about this question is that as it changes, projections change and you have DECADES to make changes.  We choose to make some changes, but not enough to eliminate the problem.  This is probably the best example of "kicking the can down the road".
It is interesting to know that even with the lowered birth rate, the largest generation in population is the Millennials.  It is on this stat that I think the US is best positioned for the next 50 years as compared to other nations of the world.  Maths really does provide some interesting facts sometimes.

What happens if labor force participation declines substantially? 
I am sure is has at times, and also exceeded it at times.  This is one of the factors in that 2035 date changing with time. 

My personable opinion is that the world is about to enter a transition whereby automation will change the workforce in ways never before seen in humankind.  We will simply need less people to do what MUST be done. I believe my children will see 40%-50% unemployment while the country still sees tremendous progress.  That is why the jobs claim made by Trump fell on deaf ears for me.  Has anyone seen any of the videos of the Tesla plant?  Where are the people?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_lfxPI5ObM
Manufacturing jobs are not coming back long term.  One possible solution will be to have half of the unemployed dig a hole and have the other half fill it up the next day.  Not exactly productive, but they are working :)
How will this effect SS? I have no clue.

What happens if real GDP growth is lower than projections?
Again, I think it has at times, and also exceeded at times. These fluctuations will continue to change the 2035 date.

Great questions to ponder. Thank you for engaging.  Would you be willing to post YOUR actual SS contribution history?  This discussion has me thinking about doing it myself, though not before the end of the year. We'll see what the new year brings.  That said, my expected SS payments with regard to retirement is $0.  I do not believe it will be $0, but I have planned for it just in case.  In that regard, my risks for SS has actually become 0.  I am pretty confident my future SS payments will lie somewhere between $0 and current projections.  Time will tell.

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2016, 10:38:23 AM »

Exactly.  It is simple math.

If you want to make it mandatory, fine. It is 2016.   Allow the money to go into individual accounts where you cannot remove the money until 65. Allow the money to be invested in the market.  Not hard to set up. If you die, money goes to your survivors. So much wasted opportunity.  I'm losing 12% of my income and basically getting diddly back.

I think comparing SS to an investment is an unfair comparison and is virtually guaranteed to fall short. Here are some other examples of poor "investments".

Life insurance - All of it, but whole life even less so than term life.  A long time investment of capital with a very modest rate of return.  The best way to make this a worthwhile investment is to die immediately.

Annuities - Full payment up front, they give me a little back at a time, and possible take it all if I die soon (or reduce my payment forever in order to guarantee at least my initial "investment".  On average, you will get about 2% on your money.

Your primary residence - Big upfront cost or debt obligation, annual cost outlays in taxes and repairs. Time must be consumed to maintain.  3%-4% growth through time.

All of these are TERRIBLE investments for different reasons, yet all are perfectly reasonable tools to meet objectives other than wealth preservation or capital appreciation.

If your claim is that I can make money better myself, you are probably right.  That is not what SS is for.  The private accounts are fine, but how do you protect against risk.  If the answer is "you don't", then SS is no longer the safety vehicle is was designed to be.

SS to me would be closer to an annuity, since the overall goal is payments of a certain amount to be distributed in the future.  Instead of paying up front, others pay monthly on your behalf.  If we wanted to convert SS to an annuity system, that would be an interesting discussion.  Maybe the purchase of an annuity that pays 200% of poverty beginning 70 years from birth, or something similar.  At todays annuity rates, I do not think we would come out ahead.

As far as the pay as you go, well, Congress should cut some other programs in order to pay what is needed now.

There is more being payed out now than is collected.  We have collected enough in the past that we can continue to do this until the year 2035, so there is no need to cut anything today in order to pay what is needed now.

Are you suggesting that SS should guarantee its projected payments, and other cuts in spending elsewhere should pay for it beyond the 2035 date?  Can you please clarify this comment?  I do not want to put words in your mouth.

Thank you for the discussion.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2016, 10:42:25 AM »
I could go year by year to find the max wages, and the actual dollar amount someone that year would have maxed out, but I really wanted a calculator that already did that. I could not find one. 
Combining ssrate_historical.pdf with the case study spreadsheet should get what you desire.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2016, 10:53:32 AM »

I'm going to recycle this graph from a previous discussion of social security on this forum. As you can see, social security is a great deal for people who earn a very low average wage over their lifetimes (well 35 highest earning years).

If you averaged only $10k/year you'd get back all of your annual contributions in less than 5 years, and every year you survived after that in retirement is pure profit. At the median household income ($51k/year), it takes ~10 years of retirement to get back all of your money and start earning a profit. At an average household income of $100k/year it'd be closer to 14-15 years before you get your whole contribution back.

That's hardly a regressive program.

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2016, 02:24:19 PM »
I could go year by year to find the max wages, and the actual dollar amount someone that year would have maxed out, but I really wanted a calculator that already did that. I could not find one. 
Combining ssrate_historical.pdf with the case study spreadsheet should get what you desire.

That table will do nicely for me to calculate it myself.  I am surprised this has not been done yet, or at I have not found it.  Thank you.

GetItRight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2016, 04:10:00 PM »
No effect for me. I do not factor SS into my calculations, it's just a line item tax like every other tax. In the unlikely event I collect anything I'll categorize it as a tax, lessening the total taxes paid over my lifetime.

Regarding SS in general, it's just another unconstitutional welfare program. Any "reform" that isn't either abolishing SS entirely or at least opt-in/opt-out program is just more tax and welfare, which is to say theft. I would gladly opt out of this tax today and forfeit any right to collect from the welfare pool, with no refund for the many years of line item taxes I've paid on this welfare account.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #80 on: December 18, 2016, 04:25:19 PM »
As far as these specific cuts: raising the age for receipt of full benefits is a back door way to cut benefits across the board because most people have the take the reduced amount at an earlier age. Few people are able to work full-time until 69: due to physical reasons, for laborers, and because they are pushed out, for professionals (we don't live in a culture that particularly values experience and wisdom). This is I think one of the bigger "cuts" in the plan since it affects high- and low-income workers alike.

Yes, this is my thought.  While I work with a number of people who are 60, and even a few in their early 70's, my observations from family and coworkers:

1. My family members in laboring jobs can't keep up due to overuse injury - often by 50 they are broken, at least by 60.
2. My sisters who are 65 and 61 are already on SS.  Their husbands too. They took it as soon as they could.
3. Even the white collar workers - we start getting pushed out at some age. If we aren't pushed out, the brain function starts to decline.  In a fast paced environment, do you REALLY expect a 70-year old to perform like that?  Some will, many won't - that is really going to vary.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #81 on: December 18, 2016, 04:30:56 PM »

I think we need to do away with spousal benefits.  If you didn't pay in or you paid in a small amount, that's what your benefit should be based on.  You do not get 1/2 of your spouses social security.

That's a great idea.  Let's just leave all of the widowed stay-at-home Mom's to live on the streets and eat out of dumpsters.  As long as it doesn't impact my paycheck, right?
Which, wait, wasn't it LITERALLY the whole point of SS in the first place?  To keep widows and children from starving?

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #82 on: December 18, 2016, 04:34:35 PM »

And it's bad for my personal situation because it raises my full retirement age by two years, which presumably means I would take a bigger hit if I start drawing benefits early.  I consider it a personal foul to make such a fundamental change to benefits for people who are 30 years into their careers.  Kind of like moving the goal posts when I'm on the 10 yard line.  The elimination of taxes on benefits might help some, but my FIRE income is likely to be low enough that I would not be paying much tax on SS benefits anyway.

While I agree generally, it's worth noting that the income cap has been rising steadily for a while now, at far greater than the rate of inflation.  From 2016 to 2017, it's going up 9.3%!  (i.e., from $118,500, to $127,200).  So yeah, that's already happening.
I don't think I'm ever going to hit the cap.  This year I told my boss "If you give me a raise, make sure I'm under the Highly compensated employee income". (I've only had one raise in 5 years.  Startup.  Running out of money...)

tomsang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #83 on: December 18, 2016, 09:27:27 PM »
I don't think I'm ever going to hit the cap.  This year I told my boss "If you give me a raise, make sure I'm under the Highly compensated employee income". (I've only had one raise in 5 years.  Startup.  Running out of money...)

I am not sure if you were joking or not.  Just to be clear that the only money that pays the extra .9% is money exceeding $250k for a married filing jointly filer and $200k for a single filer.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #84 on: December 19, 2016, 06:46:00 AM »

I'm not a fan, but I've been paying in since the 1980s. Now you want to cut my payout and keep all the Boomers fat and happy with their payouts? Fuck you.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #85 on: December 19, 2016, 06:49:27 AM »

You're thinking of life expectancy at birth.  If you've already made it to 70, your life expectancy from that point forward is another 14+ years (age 84).  So you need to add 6 more years of benefits to your numbers.

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/STATS/table4c6.html

Right, and most of those folks who die before drawing get nothing. Some get spousal/child benefits paid out to their heirs.

rtrnow

• Bristles
« Reply #86 on: December 19, 2016, 07:17:58 AM »

Regarding SS in general, it's just another unconstitutional welfare program. Any "reform" that isn't either abolishing SS entirely or at least opt-in/opt-out program is just more tax and welfare, which is to say theft. I would gladly opt out of this tax today and forfeit any right to collect from the welfare pool, with no refund for the many years of line item taxes I've paid on this welfare account.

So what do you do with the vast majority of folks who have saved nothing? Yes I get in many/most cases this may be their fault. Let them die in the streets and then we look like most 3rd world countries?

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: December 19, 2016, 07:39:10 AM »

So what do you do with the vast majority of folks who have saved nothing? Yes I get in many/most cases this may be their fault. Let them die in the streets and then we look like most 3rd world countries?

If it was up to me, I'd force people to put money into private accounts.  But you can't say "privatize" when it comes to SS or someone will accuse you of throwing grandma off a cliff.

Iron Mike Sharpe

• Bristles
« Reply #88 on: December 19, 2016, 09:18:42 AM »

If it was up to me, I'd force people to put money into private accounts.  But you can't say "privatize" when it comes to SS or someone will accuse you of throwing grandma off a cliff.

And if you do this, what do you do with all the people who cannot save enough to make ends meet using their own savings?

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #89 on: December 19, 2016, 09:35:15 AM »
And if you do this, what do you do with all the people who cannot save enough to make ends meet using their own savings?
There's not much difference on the front end between forcing people to put money into private accounts vs. forcing people to put money into Social Security.  Which becomes better in the long run depends on the assumptions one then makes.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #90 on: December 19, 2016, 11:26:13 AM »

There's always welfare.  And food stamps.  It's going to cost the taxpayers money one way or another.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #91 on: December 19, 2016, 02:38:00 PM »
OP, thanks for informing us about this.  To those who explained the "mini-PIA" impact, big respect - you got me to understand (even though I had to follow Social Security Administration link to make sure).

So I called my Congressperson's district office and said I was opposed.  It was a good call - the staffer hadn't heard of the bill, verified for herself that it was recently proposed, and took the time to understand my remarks on all 3 provisions I objected to ("mini-PIA", raising the retirement age, and changing the bend points too much). 

To each her or his own re contacting people or not, but it seems to be a good early stage time for doing so if you wish to affect the outcome. Other threads on this blog provided links from former Congressional staffers stating that phone calls to local district offices of Congresspeople are the most influential technique, not emails or tweets. 

Fwiw, here is a link to identify your Congressional Rep (Google separately to find their district office's phone instead of the DC phone):
http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us/Address.aspx

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #92 on: December 21, 2016, 10:56:32 AM »

I am not sure if you were joking or not.  Just to be clear that the only money that pays the extra .9% is money exceeding $250k for a married filing jointly filer and $200k for a single filer.
Not joking. The reason why I mentioned the HCE cap is because our company does not match 401k.  So HCE's (which are the majority in my company - PhDs, directors, and VPs) are limited to putting 4-5% of their salary into the 401k.  Well, except for the catch-up, which is a lot of them to be honest.

I am able to put in the full amount.  So, the difference, for example, between a salary of $119k and $121k is the difference between $18,000 into the 401k tax deferred, and ~$5000

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #93 on: December 21, 2016, 12:21:57 PM »

I'm going to recycle this graph from a previous discussion of social security on this forum. As you can see, social security is a great deal for people who earn a very low average wage over their lifetimes (well 35 highest earning years).

If you averaged only $10k/year you'd get back all of your annual contributions in less than 5 years, and every year you survived after that in retirement is pure profit. At the median household income ($51k/year), it takes ~10 years of retirement to get back all of your money and start earning a profit. At an average household income of $100k/year it'd be closer to 14-15 years before you get your whole contribution back.

It should be noted however, that a very large gap (14 years, last I saw) in life expectancies has opened up between low-income, less educated Americans and high-income, higher-education Americans.  So the duration of those payouts for low-income folks is much shorter.  Which is one of the reasons why moving the retirement age higher is very regressive vis-à-vis low-income folks, who also tend to be manual laborers with shorter career spans due to the physical nature of their work.

ETA:  https://assetbuilder.com/knowledge-center/articles/the-growing-longevity-gap
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 12:23:39 PM by dude »

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #94 on: December 21, 2016, 12:32:13 PM »

Well said.  SS is NOT simply an underperforming investment account -- it is a guaranteed  annuity and insurance program wrapped in one.  It is ESSENTIAL to the vast majority of Americans for a dignified old age. And those who tout how much better they could have done by investing the money are either ignorant of the annual Dalbar Study or just in denial.  MOST people are very bad at managing and investing their own money. So you can design a system that accounts for human frailty and behavioral tendencies, or engage in wishful thinking policies like "voluntary compliance" and "just say no" -- which seems to be the province of a certain American political party.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #95 on: December 21, 2016, 07:36:59 PM »

It should be noted however, that a very large gap (14 years, last I saw) in life expectancies has opened up between low-income, less educated Americans and high-income, higher-education Americans.  So the duration of those payouts for low-income folks is much shorter.  Which is one of the reasons why moving the retirement age higher is very regressive vis-à-vis low-income folks, who also tend to be manual laborers with shorter career spans due to the physical nature of their work.

ETA:  https://assetbuilder.com/knowledge-center/articles/the-growing-longevity-gap

It's a valid point, but I think the headline number (14 years) is misleading, since that is comparing the 99th percentile to the 1st percentile of incomes (which works out to <$800/year) at the age of 55. At that low an income, something is wrong besides lower levels of education. Severe chronic illness or disability are going to be two common explanations for having income that low, and both of these would tend to reduce lifespan in addition to income.

If we consider the maximum amount you could earn per year and still be entirely before the 1st social security bend point ($10,620), you are still quite poor, but already in the 22nd percentile of incomes. Social security maxes out at $118,500 which is the 94th percentile of income. In the Bosworth & Burke study your link is talking about they only analyzed life expectancy by decile (10 percentile points), but if we compare the 3rd decile (where the 22nd percentile would be) and the 10th decile (94th percentile), the gap in life expectancy at age 55 is "only" 7.7 years.*

Anyway, it's a fascinating point and certainly something important to think about in these sorts of numerical illustrations, thanks for bringing it up and pointing me to the study!

*I am going off of the numbers in Table 6 from the paper itself: https://www.brookings.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/differential_mortality_retirement_benefits_bosworth_version_2.pdf

Purple Economist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #96 on: December 22, 2016, 09:21:46 AM »
The maximum contribution for 2016 is $14,694.00.  You have to include the employer's contribution.  If your employer did not have to contribute this, you would receive this as increased wages.
I lived through the Act 10 legislation that was passed in Wisconsin in 2011.  I can guarantee to you that a slash in benefits(here I mean everything an employer pays less salary) does NOT immediately translate into an increase in salary. If you have bargaining power, a select few might be able to renegotiate that lost benefit back into salary, but buy and large, the reason for slashing a benefit is not to increase wages, it it so the paying organization(company,district, state, etc.) can spend less. I challenge you to take ANY benefit your company provides to you and try to turn it into the equivalent cash in your paycheck. It is not unheard of but becoming harder to achieve. But even if you DID assume the full amount went directly to you.........

The situation with Act 10 in Wisconsin is completely different than eliminating the employer contribution for FICA.  Act 10 was about reducing employee compensation overall for one particular company (government).  Eliminating the employer contribution for FICA would affect all companies and governments the same.  The marginal cost of employing someone would be reduced and would make it lower than the marginal revenue of the last employee in the market  This would cause a shortage of workers and the market would bid wages up as a result.  The market would bid wages up until the increase was equal to the employer contribution for FICA.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #97 on: December 22, 2016, 11:24:27 AM »

It's a valid point, but I think the headline number (14 years) is misleading, since that is comparing the 99th percentile to the 1st percentile of incomes (which works out to <$800/year) at the age of 55. At that low an income, something is wrong besides lower levels of education. Severe chronic illness or disability are going to be two common explanations for having income that low, and both of these would tend to reduce lifespan in addition to income.

If we consider the maximum amount you could earn per year and still be entirely before the 1st social security bend point ($10,620), you are still quite poor, but already in the 22nd percentile of incomes. Social security maxes out at $118,500 which is the 94th percentile of income. In the Bosworth & Burke study your link is talking about they only analyzed life expectancy by decile (10 percentile points), but if we compare the 3rd decile (where the 22nd percentile would be) and the 10th decile (94th percentile), the gap in life expectancy at age 55 is "only" 7.7 years.*

Anyway, it's a fascinating point and certainly something important to think about in these sorts of numerical illustrations, thanks for bringing it up and pointing me to the study!

*I am going off of the numbers in Table 6 from the paper itself: https://www.brookings.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/differential_mortality_retirement_benefits_bosworth_version_2.pdf

Perhaps, but if you look at the MIT study, there's a 10-year life expectancy gap between the top decile and the bottom decile. Ten years is a long time (just ask anyone who's hoping to FIRE 10 years from now!).

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #98 on: December 22, 2016, 11:37:47 AM »
The market would bid wages up until the increase was equal to the employer contribution for FICA.

I highly doubt this.

Most people have no idea what goes into their paycheck and how taxes work. This is true across all incomes. I suspect a high percentage of W2 employees would not even notice if the employer FICA contribution went to zero.

The idea that companies would then just pay their employees more seems silly, since those employees were more than happy to work for their previous wage and nearly none of them have any idea how taxes work.

Pooplips

• Bristles
« Reply #99 on: December 22, 2016, 11:43:42 AM »
Any idea of how many people are in each of those decile's?