Author Topic: Grocery shopping  (Read 111022 times)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Grocery shopping
« Reply #350 on: April 19, 2020, 11:12:40 AM »
Our family of three is eating seven or eight lads of bread a day since the lockdown and I've lost six lbs so far.  :P

Carbs don't make you fat.

"Lad"? Is that a loaf?  Carbs might not make YOU fat.  Simple carbs are definitely one of the only food groups that help me gain weight (which I frequently need to do) or make me gain weight (on the rare occasions I don't need to).  But I was referring more to the enticing nature of fresh baked carbs.  I mean, eating the equivalent of 7 or 8 'lads' of Ben and Jerry's per week would make fat, no doubt.  But I can leave ice cream alone for weeks.  White carbs straight from cooking? Not so much.

Yeah, loaf somehow ended up as 'lad'.  Weird.

I like fresh baked bread too . . . and eat it regularly.  Comparing bread to ice cream is pretty goofy though.  Especially sourdough bread - which is metabolized completely differently than generic store bought white bread.

If you're sedentary, it's probably wise to limit your carb intake.  If you're leading a healthy and active life, carbs are an essential part of a healthy diet though.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #351 on: April 19, 2020, 11:21:56 AM »
Our family of three is eating seven or eight lads of bread a day since the lockdown and I've lost six lbs so far.  :P

Carbs don't make you fat.

"Lad"? Is that a loaf?  Carbs might not make YOU fat.  Simple carbs are definitely one of the only food groups that help me gain weight (which I frequently need to do) or make me gain weight (on the rare occasions I don't need to).  But I was referring more to the enticing nature of fresh baked carbs.  I mean, eating the equivalent of 7 or 8 'lads' of Ben and Jerry's per week would make fat, no doubt.  But I can leave ice cream alone for weeks.  White carbs straight from cooking? Not so much.

Yeah, loaf somehow ended up as 'lad'.  Weird.

I like fresh baked bread too . . . and eat it regularly.  Comparing bread to ice cream is pretty goofy though.  Especially sourdough bread - which is metabolized completely differently than generic store bought white bread.

If you're sedentary, it's probably wise to limit your carb intake.  If you're leading a healthy and active life, carbs are an essential part of a healthy diet though.

I think you are trying to argue with an imaginary strawman and it's obnoxious.  I eat a ton of carbs; hell, 3/4 of my diet is carbs.  Just not simple/processed carbs.  I have condition related to diabetes, so I understand that sourdough is lower glycemic than ice cream.  I'm a decade older than you and have lived with my body a long time; it might behoove you to not assume everyone's body behaves exactly as yours does.

Runrooster

• Bristles
« Reply #352 on: April 19, 2020, 02:08:12 PM »

Wait, that's 7-8 loaves per DAY not per week?  That's A Lot of Carbs.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #353 on: April 19, 2020, 02:16:48 PM »

Wait, that's 7-8 loaves per DAY not per week?  That's A Lot of Carbs.

7-8 lads.  Lads being roughly 1/7th to 1/8th of a loave.  :P

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #354 on: April 19, 2020, 03:47:24 PM »
Went to Costco today, and they were out of TP when they opened the doors. Of course this was after standing in line for 30 min to get into the store. This was my last effort to find TP this week, as I have tried 5 different stores this week, all completely wiped out. The TP panic buying situation here is still very intense here (SW United States)

Regular grocery store shelves seem to be somewhat restocking, although still with half the amounts of beans, very little rice, maybe some canned tomatoes, etc. I had to ask my mom to mail me some TP because I honestly don't think I will find any before I run out. Thankfully she always keeps an extra supply on hand (like, before Corona) and was happy to send me 12 jumbo rolls.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #355 on: April 19, 2020, 05:03:28 PM »
I scored another pickup slot for next Friday! Sunday afternoon seems to be a great time for finding an opening, for some reason. I had a large and aspirational list ready to go, so we’ll see what we get.

If I were running the grocery store, I’d start offering standard boxes of groceries at various price points. They’d be a lot more efficient to pack up than individual orders.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #356 on: April 19, 2020, 08:23:41 PM »
Went to Costco today, and they were out of TP when they opened the doors. Of course this was after standing in line for 30 min to get into the store. This was my last effort to find TP this week, as I have tried 5 different stores this week, all completely wiped out. The TP panic buying situation here is still very intense here (SW United States)

Regular grocery store shelves seem to be somewhat restocking, although still with half the amounts of beans, very little rice, maybe some canned tomatoes, etc. I had to ask my mom to mail me some TP because I honestly don't think I will find any before I run out. Thankfully she always keeps an extra supply on hand (like, before Corona) and was happy to send me 12 jumbo rolls.

This doesn't sound good at all. Do the states not make TP?

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #357 on: April 19, 2020, 08:35:21 PM »

They do. The supply chain hasn’t caught up yet, people are still panic buying, and there are significant regional variations in availability. I had no trouble buying TP at our local Costco early on a recent weekday morning. I imagine that weekends may be more difficult as many are still in the habit of grocery shopping on weekends. I’m told the crowds are much worse on Saturdays, even now.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #358 on: April 19, 2020, 09:07:20 PM »

They do. The supply chain hasn’t caught up yet, people are still panic buying, and there are significant regional variations in availability. I had no trouble buying TP at our local Costco early on a recent weekday morning. I imagine that weekends may be more difficult as many are still in the habit of grocery shopping on weekends. I’m told the crowds are much worse on Saturdays, even now.

Yeah, if I didn't have to start work at 7:00am I'd be at the store early, and possibly find some TP. If my mom hadn't had extra to send me, I was planning to take a few hours in the morning one day this week and find some. I just hate that I've been going to all of these different stores when we are supposed to be sheltering in place. Totally defeats the purpose!

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #359 on: April 20, 2020, 05:45:53 AM »
We tried to schedule grocery pickup at both Kroger & Wal-Mart. Neither had available pick up times for another 5 days. It's one thing to buy a couple weeks' worth of groceries. It's another thing entirely to order them nearly a week ahead of time.

Also, neither are allowing for beer to be ordered this way, so the process still has a ways to go.

lhamo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #360 on: April 20, 2020, 09:49:07 AM »
We tried to schedule grocery pickup at both Kroger & Wal-Mart. Neither had available pick up times for another 5 days. It's one thing to buy a couple weeks' worth of groceries. It's another thing entirely to order them nearly a week ahead of time.

Also, neither are allowing for beer to be ordered this way, so the process still has a ways to go.

Assuming Kroger works the same across all stores, you can start an order for up to a week out (I have been getting open slots in the 5-7 day range for the past several weeks) with just one or two items in your cart and then update up to midnight the night before your scheduled pickup. 

In Seattle many of the brewpubs are doing contactless pickup of growlers, etc.  Some may have delivery as well.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #361 on: April 20, 2020, 10:03:21 AM »
I am at Costco. I had planned on sitting in the car until the lines started, but it started even before I got here. It pisses me off that the instacart shoppers are allowed in first!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #362 on: April 20, 2020, 10:11:15 AM »
I think our next store run will be Costco.  We aim for every 2 weeks for groceries, usually make it 12 days.  As I go down the list, even though there are things I WANT that I cannot get at Costco, most of what we NEED will be at Costco.

But that's still a week away.  I have successfully purchased some quinoa, nuts, lentils online though.

My grocery bill last week was the highest ever.  $354.  2x normal.  That doesn't mean this week is zero, though, because we get produce delivery. 

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #363 on: April 20, 2020, 10:35:18 AM »

As soon as I manage to get one order scheduled, I start a new order to put in whenever I see slots opening. So today I'm working on an order that I hope to get through sometime next week... It does take some planning, doesn't it?

beekayworld

• Stubble
« Reply #364 on: April 20, 2020, 10:43:33 AM »
The TP panic buying situation here is still very intense here

They do. The supply chain hasn’t caught up yet, people are still panic buying

The problem is that households actually NEED double the amount of toilet paper they normally use. So buying twice what they normally would isn't actually hoarding.

Before the quarantines most people spent at least half of their waking hours outside the home, using toilet paper in office buildings, schools, restaurants, gyms, theme parks, movie theaters, etc etc.  now 100% of their bathroom use is in the home.

Those places that stocked commercial rolls of toilet paper have their own supply chains. The industrial sized toilet paper rolls don't have a ready-made way to get their product on grocery store shelves.

If you are willing to use gigantic commercial rolls, you can easily get them delivered in 2 days from Walmart. You have to search under "Janitorial & Sanitation Supplies".  Then check the box for delivery.  These products won't come up in a normal search for some reason.

I just ran the search to be sure and as of right now there are 27 of these jumbo product lines available with free delivery (to my zip code anyway, where NONE are on grocery shelves whenever I've looked myself or ordered grocery deliveries).

https://www.walmart.com/browse/janitorial-disposables/commercial-toilet-paper/6197502_5702707_7272148_2923463?cat_id=6197502_5702707_7272148_2923463&facet=pickup_and_delivery%3AShip+to+Home

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #365 on: April 20, 2020, 11:09:32 AM »

The problem is that households actually NEED double the amount of toilet paper they normally use. So buying twice what they normally would isn't actually hoarding.

Before the quarantines most people spent at least half of their waking hours outside the home, using toilet paper in office buildings, schools, restaurants, gyms, theme parks, movie theaters, etc etc.  now 100% of their bathroom use is in the home.

Those places that stocked commercial rolls of toilet paper have their own supply chains. The industrial sized toilet paper rolls don't have a ready-made way to get their product on grocery store shelves.

If you are willing to use gigantic commercial rolls, you can easily get them delivered in 2 days from Walmart. You have to search under "Janitorial & Sanitation Supplies".  Then check the box for delivery.  These products won't come up in a normal search for some reason.

I just ran the search to be sure and as of right now there are 27 of these jumbo product lines available with free delivery (to my zip code anyway, where NONE are on grocery shelves whenever I've looked myself or ordered grocery deliveries).

https://www.walmart.com/browse/janitorial-disposables/commercial-toilet-paper/6197502_5702707_7272148_2923463?cat_id=6197502_5702707_7272148_2923463&facet=pickup_and_delivery%3AShip+to+Home

Also true. If we hadn't been able to get a pack at Costco, I was planning to order some of the big commercial rolls from Home Depot.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #366 on: April 20, 2020, 11:11:25 AM »
I am at Costco. I had planned on sitting in the car until the lines started, but it started even before I got here. It pisses me off that the instacart shoppers are allowed in first!

Did the line at least move fairly quickly? When I went last week, it was wrapped around the building and loading dock and I considered just going home. I decided to stick it out and got in with the first round of shoppers after the door opened.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #367 on: April 20, 2020, 11:13:00 AM »
I placed my usual pickup order for today and they didn't have *any* of the meat I ordered, so I'll be going inside a different store today anyway.  Sometimes this pickup service at Wal-Mart is a bit of a bust.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #368 on: April 20, 2020, 11:27:32 AM »
We're rural, so none of the grocery stores here offer pick up and there are none of the bigger delivery services. There is a local woman who's catering business has disappeared during this who added grocery shopping services and from what I see she is kept pretty busy.  There's a low income program that is offering delivery services for seniors.   

I've ordered dry goods and things online for delivery so that we could reduce the amount of time spent in the store, and focus just on fresh things, but then things are shipped when they are available, so what I think will be one order of one to two boxes turns into 5 or 6 or 7 or 8 boxes and so much waste.

We did get one of our misfits veggie boxes, but it was delayed a week and while most things were edible it was pretty sad. That delay was difficult because each day they sent notification that it would be delivered that day... but it wasn't.  So we weren't able to plan around it at all!

For all my complaining, we're doing alright.  Trying to make it three weeks on the latest grocery run, but might only make it two. 

ETA:  We've a locally owned hardware store that initiated curb-side only even though they are an essential business and could still allow customers in.  We've been by there several times since, just bought a house so we always tend to have a list but they have made it so easy and safe we also really want to support them. I wish the grocery stores would take a cue from them!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 11:36:00 AM by PMG »

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #369 on: April 20, 2020, 11:34:35 AM »

Assuming Kroger works the same across all stores, you can start an order for up to a week out (I have been getting open slots in the 5-7 day range for the past several weeks) with just one or two items in your cart and then update up to midnight the night before your scheduled pickup. 

In Seattle many of the brewpubs are doing contactless pickup of growlers, etc.  Some may have delivery as well.

That's interesting - we'll have to give it a try.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #370 on: April 20, 2020, 11:57:26 AM »

Did the line at least move fairly quickly? When I went last week, it was wrapped around the building and loading dock and I considered just going home. I decided to stick it out and got in with the first round of shoppers after the door opened.

I was part of the first group in.

There was a a sign above the eggs that said "limit 5," so I took 2. The cashier said no, only one. I am not sure that I ever got through to her that I have no problem with the policy, but the damn sign needs to be changed. Even the manager was like, whatever. Which means that every cashier will have to explain to half the customers that no, you can still only have 1...

Other than that, it wasn't too bad. I didn't really expect them to have an immersion blender. I had hoped for hair clippers, but stood in front of the razors I realized I was probably being naive. We have some, but the new blades are the same.cost as a new kit, and we need a new something soon.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #371 on: April 20, 2020, 12:04:11 PM »

That's interesting - we'll have to give it a try.

That's how my parents are managing their Kroger orders (since they won't let me do all of their shopping). As soon as their order was delivered two weekends ago, Mom got back online and set up another order for 1.5 weeks out and has been adding to it as they've run out of things. She offered to add anything that I need up until Wednesday morning.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #372 on: April 20, 2020, 12:42:21 PM »
The only remaining downside is that neither Kroger nor Wal-Mart appear to allow the purchase of alcohol for curbside delivery. I can get it delivered by liquor stores, but it's way more expensive, so I'll probably run in for beer alone.

I've definitely been drinking a lot more since this all started. I went from about a 6-pack per week to two 6-packs per week.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #373 on: April 20, 2020, 01:02:53 PM »

Some of us specifically scheduled pooping time to co-ordinate with our work schedule so that we could be paid to poop.

MustacheExplorer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #374 on: April 20, 2020, 01:41:35 PM »
Yoghurt does NOT freeze well. Well, not without being churned, anyway.

I've found that yogurt freezes just fine as long as you're planning to use it in cooking/baking, but the texture is pretty gross so you wouldn't want to eat it by itself.

In my experience unopened and refrigerated yogurt can last for months past it expiration date.   It's already loaded with bacteria when fresh.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #375 on: April 20, 2020, 02:18:01 PM »
I placed my usual pickup order for today and they didn't have *any* of the meat I ordered, so I'll be going inside a different store today anyway.  Sometimes this pickup service at Wal-Mart is a bit of a bust.

I’m going to try specifying that they can substitute ANY chicken parts, etc. we don’t eat tons of meat, though.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #376 on: April 20, 2020, 02:21:12 PM »

I’m going to try specifying that they can substitute ANY chicken parts, etc. we don’t eat tons of meat, though.

Enjoy your bag of gizzards and buttholes. 

Runrooster

• Bristles
« Reply #377 on: April 20, 2020, 02:39:20 PM »
Some of us specifically scheduled pooping time to co-ordinate with our work schedule so that we could be paid to poop.

I do most of my business in the evening/morning.  I assumed it was normal, but maybe I've self-programmed to limit public bathrooms. I thought the article about people using lots more tp at home now was nuts.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #378 on: April 20, 2020, 03:20:26 PM »

I do most of my business in the evening/morning.  I assumed it was normal, but maybe I've self-programmed to limit public bathrooms. I thought the article about people using lots more tp at home now was nuts.

Um, women use it for both functions, men only for one.  So a woman who is now at home all the time will certainly be using more.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #379 on: April 20, 2020, 03:27:47 PM »
Cute and cuddly kittens on Canadian toilet paper at a Wegmans in suburban Virginia this afternoon.

Runrooster

• Bristles
« Reply #380 on: April 20, 2020, 03:33:43 PM »

Um, women use it for both functions, men only for one.  So a woman who is now at home all the time will certainly be using more.

I'm a woman, I use more when I'm home all day, but a small amount. 

MoseyingAlong

• Bristles
« Reply #381 on: April 20, 2020, 03:53:36 PM »
Someone is offer their self-admitted hoarded TP up on Freecycle.
Thought that was a great solution.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #382 on: April 20, 2020, 06:16:44 PM »

I'm a woman, I use more when I'm home all day, but a small amount.

Ok, I guess we all differ in our use patterns.  I know my at home consumption went up quite a bit when I retired.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #383 on: April 20, 2020, 08:12:22 PM »
I live in a university town with some great ethnic mom and pop grocery stores.  My favorite of the bunch is owned by a Lebanese family and has a fantastic supply of spices, legumes, and Greek, Middle Eastern, and Indian foods.  I’m going to try to get there soon to give them some of my business.  Ironically, right before the pandemic started I bought a huge stash of dried beans from them.

There’s also a great Italian grocery a half hour away.  I’m placing a pick up order for the day we go to Costco.

Both stores have been around for a very long time and are treasures.  I don’t want them to crumble.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #384 on: April 20, 2020, 08:17:01 PM »
I live in a university town with some great ethnic mom and pop grocery stores.  My favorite of the bunch is owned by a Lebanese family and has a fantastic supply of spices, legumes, and Greek, Middle Eastern, and Indian foods.  I’m going to try to get there soon to give them some of my business.  Ironically, right before the pandemic started I bought a huge stash of dried beans from them.

There’s also a great Italian grocery a half hour away.  I’m placing a pick up order for the day we go to Costco.

Both stores have been around for a very long time and are treasures.  I don’t want them to crumble.

They might actually have a better selection than the big grocery stores. I've had great luck at our independently owned produce market.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #385 on: April 20, 2020, 08:57:40 PM »

So I went to Safeway today, prior to my scheduled pickup at Wal-Mart, to get the missing meat.  There were probably 40 people in there.  I saw *one* other person wearing something resembling a mask(happened to be an N95).  No one else using any type of covering at all, including staff.  I know my N95 is a bit overkill but I bought one of them in early March, just to be prepared.  Still, I expected to see at least half of the people wearing masks.  The other guy wearing a mask left right in front of me, and he took his mask off on the way out, saying to a staff member "I hate these things!".  He seemed embarrassed or something.  No one wants to be the weirdo wearing a mask I guess.  Social stigma seems to be a strong factor, along with some type of machismo(not reserved to men in this case!).

For the sensible among us, it's well understood that wearing a mask is really about reducing the basic reproduction number, and has virtually nothing to do with the individual wearing the mask.  I'm not even concerned about catching this virus, but I don't want to be a carrier/transmitter.  The statistics are hard for many to grasp.

I kept my mask on until I cleaned my hands in the car, as well.

sassafrassin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #386 on: April 20, 2020, 09:21:46 PM »
My husband was able to go to Restaurant Depot this past weekend and get us well stocked.  They have opened their doors to the public at this time because most restaurants are closed except for delivery and pick up.  They were well stocked with most items.  Loaded up on eggs, meat, dairy, dry goods, produce.  If you have the space and are willing to break down the larger packages it is a great option.  They are a nationwide chain.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #387 on: April 21, 2020, 05:36:43 AM »
My husband was able to go to Restaurant Depot this past weekend and get us well stocked.  They have opened their doors to the public at this time because most restaurants are closed except for delivery and pick up.

Please confirm a few items:

Is this "anyone can join as a free member" now? Or just show up and they no longer check membership?

Did they say it is nationwide?

sassafrassin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #388 on: April 21, 2020, 02:35:25 PM »
My husband was able to go to Restaurant Depot this past weekend and get us well stocked.  They have opened their doors to the public at this time because most restaurants are closed except for delivery and pick up.

Is this "anyone can join as a free member" now? Or just show up and they no longer check membership?

Due to the coronavirus, anyone can enter and shop.  You will get a temporary card good for the day you are shopping, so NO, you cannot get a permanent membership.  You can, however, have access to the everything in the store.  We were told it was nationwide.  Their website says nothing about it so we called our local store and they confirmed that they are indeed open to the public.  I would recommend calling your local store to verify just to be certain.  Excellent way to stock up if you have one nearby.

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #389 on: April 21, 2020, 02:46:51 PM »
Ironically, right before the pandemic started I bought a huge stash of dried beans from them.

Now that’s what I call good market timing.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #390 on: April 22, 2020, 03:35:42 PM »
Ironically, right before the pandemic started I bought a huge stash of dried beans from them.

Now that’s what I call good market timing.

I know, amazing right?  I am now the proud owner of like 12 pounds of beans and a very well stocked spice cupboard.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #391 on: April 22, 2020, 09:54:03 PM »
We ventured out to Costco today to shop with the over 60 and health compromised crowd.  It was an orderly experience, but I was still surprised that so many things were out of stock, including tp.  Anyway, we are prepared for a good long while now, and I am relieved that the big stuff is done for awhile.  Next on the agenda is making a batch of Italian wedding soup.

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #392 on: April 23, 2020, 04:02:17 AM »
I had to get gas yesterday and when I went in to pay I noticed they were fully stocked of toilet paper, paper towels, bleach and even wipes!  I didn't look at prices (I am sure they are much more than you'd pay at the grocery) but if you are in dire need a place like this may be an option.  It wasn't a 7-11, just a Shell station.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #393 on: April 23, 2020, 09:21:53 AM »
Much better luck with this last grocery pickup. Some weird substitutions, but it was all food.

Still no flour, cornmeal, oats, but I did get two loaves of bread (the limit), and I actually got the 50 pound bag of flour I ordered online like a month ago. So I'll make our bread for a while.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #394 on: April 23, 2020, 10:13:04 AM »
State liquor stores are curbside only here in Pa and it's hard to get them to answer the phone to make an order. 

So people are going to grocery stores for beer and wine (no hard stuff).

All the cheapest per ounce  wine is always sold out. Those being the box wines and the big jug bottles.  There is a more expensive version of the box wine, which is $22 for 3 liters, and there is plenty of that stuff. But the $14.99 three liter wine boxes disappeared a while ago.   No inflation that I noticed, just sold out of all the cheapest stuff (the stuff I want, of course! lol)     

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #395 on: April 23, 2020, 11:04:57 AM »
State liquor stores are curbside only here in Pa and it's hard to get them to answer the phone to make an order. 

So people are going to grocery stores for beer and wine (no hard stuff).

All the cheapest per ounce  wine is always sold out. Those being the box wines and the big jug bottles.  There is a more expensive version of the box wine, which is $22 for 3 liters, and there is plenty of that stuff. But the $14.99 three liter wine boxes disappeared a while ago.   No inflation that I noticed, just sold out of all the cheapest stuff (the stuff I want, of course! lol)     

Thankfully we still have the wine from the state stores that we stocked up on before they closed.

Went to buy some ciders at the store (plus some other things) only to find that my license expired and they refused the sale :(

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #396 on: April 23, 2020, 11:22:49 AM »
We're rural, so none of the grocery stores here offer pick up and there are none of the bigger delivery services.

I live in a rural community too where there are no delivery services like the ones in the cities.

This morning I went to the local grocery store.

It was fully stocked and there were only ~15 shoppers in the entire store.

Almost all wore masks (so did I).

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #397 on: April 24, 2020, 08:19:45 AM »
Picked up grocery order this morning. I got some version of everything I ordered. Lots of produce!

Meat substitutions were fine. LOL

Oddly, the only thing that wasn't fine was that we got silken tofu instead of regular!

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #398 on: April 24, 2020, 08:24:24 AM »
Picked up grocery order this morning. I got some version of everything I ordered. Lots of produce!

Meat substitutions were fine. LOL

Oddly, the only thing that wasn't fine was that we got silken tofu instead of regular!

Mine had no tofu last week. I was actually surprised. I figured that was the one thing I wouldn't have any trouble getting!

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #399 on: April 24, 2020, 05:50:04 PM »

Due to the coronavirus, anyone can enter and shop.  You will get a temporary card good for the day you are shopping, so NO, you cannot get a permanent membership.  You can, however, have access to the everything in the store.  We were told it was nationwide.  Their website says nothing about it so we called our local store and they confirmed that they are indeed open to the public.  I would recommend calling your local store to verify just to be certain.  Excellent way to stock up if you have one nearby.
If you google, you'll find numerous news articles about this, so I think it's nationwide.  I know the one in our area is giving out day passes, but I haven't gone yet.