Author Topic: Grocery shopping  (Read 111020 times)

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
Re: Grocery shopping
« Reply #200 on: April 03, 2020, 11:22:27 AM »
I was very lucky this week, snagging chicken, frozen fish, bags of frozen veg and eggs.  Neither store (Publix or Walmart) had any paper products, but I am good in that area.

Took longer than usual though, as people were not heeding the social distancing in the aisles and I waited patiently until folks cleared out before I went down them.  I did my best.  And I wore gloves.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #201 on: April 03, 2020, 11:37:08 AM »
I needed canola oil this week and managed to get the last bottle available at my neighbourhood chain grocery (it was hiding out with the identical shape corn oil bottles).  I live in the freakin land of canola, seriously what the f**k is going on?????  It is hilarious to see the very particular preference and loyalty to canola in these parts, we don't want no stinkin' corn oil. 

I don't need TP, but every time I go to the store I peak down that aisle to see the state of things, been clean out for a few grocery runs now.  I also check where the hand sanitizer would be out of some vain hope to be able to get some...my bottle of Purell is getting dangerously low and I am now rationing how often I clean my hands while out doing my shopping - for all the hoarders out there - for every backup bottle of hand sanitizer you have, there is someone like me out there likely spreading germs because I have to ration mine - well done. 

I have a list for Costco, but really, really don't want to go, but when I run out of olive oil in about a week or so I will suck it up and go - too many of my regular recipes need olive oil and I don't care to change my diet just yet.   

I tried to order a book off of Amazon, one month estimated delivery for an item that is sitting in stock.  So much for relying on delivery. 

Um, what?  You're going to go to Costco because you need olive oil?  When you have Canola oil?  See, this is why the virus keeps spreading.  Sigh.

Don't be ridiculous. I shop only max once a week as is recommended by our authorities, and I can assure you that I will be getting much more than just olive oil, but I only buy olive oil from Costco, so that is why my next shop will be Costco instead of the local grocery. 

Nice trying to personally shame me for buying olive oil though, oh so productive and kind.  Next you will be telling people they can't have two kinds of cereal in their homes, or more than one kind of fruit.  Oh what a travesty, people want to keep variety in their diet. 

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #202 on: April 03, 2020, 11:41:13 AM »
I needed canola oil this week and managed to get the last bottle available at my neighbourhood chain grocery (it was hiding out with the identical shape corn oil bottles).  I live in the freakin land of canola, seriously what the f**k is going on?????  It is hilarious to see the very particular preference and loyalty to canola in these parts, we don't want no stinkin' corn oil. 

I don't need TP, but every time I go to the store I peak down that aisle to see the state of things, been clean out for a few grocery runs now.  I also check where the hand sanitizer would be out of some vain hope to be able to get some...my bottle of Purell is getting dangerously low and I am now rationing how often I clean my hands while out doing my shopping - for all the hoarders out there - for every backup bottle of hand sanitizer you have, there is someone like me out there likely spreading germs because I have to ration mine - well done. 

I have a list for Costco, but really, really don't want to go, but when I run out of olive oil in about a week or so I will suck it up and go - too many of my regular recipes need olive oil and I don't care to change my diet just yet.   

I tried to order a book off of Amazon, one month estimated delivery for an item that is sitting in stock.  So much for relying on delivery. 

Um, what?  You're going to go to Costco because you need olive oil?  When you have Canola oil?  See, this is why the virus keeps spreading.  Sigh.

Olive oil can also be ordered online from Costco, along with many other shelf-stable foods. There's no reason to go to a store for one item right now.

YMMV with that.  Costco here is out of nearly all shelf stable foods so the online service will not let you place an order for them.  You can get elk meat and caviar delivered though.  1-2 week waiting times for delivery.

Exactly.

Also, at no point did I say I was thinking of going to Costco ONLY for olive oil, but it is my tipping point to make me go there instead of the regular grocery store. 

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #203 on: April 03, 2020, 12:04:33 PM »

Olive oil can also be ordered online from Costco, along with many other shelf-stable foods. There's no reason to go to a store for one item right now.

YMMV with that.  Costco here is out of nearly all shelf stable foods so the online service will not let you place an order for them.  You can get elk meat and caviar delivered though.  1-2 week waiting times for delivery.

Quick, someone find some recipes for elk meat and caviar!

This whole situation is crazy, and there's so much variation in the supply chains and distribution. I live one county over from frugalnacho and we have had very different grocery experiences. I can't explain that.

I live right in the middle of the shit in michigan.  I live in Oakland county, less than a mile from Macomb county, and less than 4 miles from Wayne county (where I work).  Those counties are easily identified as the bright red counties on this map:

https://www.michigan.gov/coronavirus/0,9753,7-406-98163_98173---,00.html

Those 3 counties account for 8,584 of the 10,710 total cases.  Everyone I know that works in healthcare is saying it's going bonkers. 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #204 on: April 03, 2020, 12:50:15 PM »

This whole situation is crazy, and there's so much variation in the supply chains and distribution. I live one county over from frugalnacho and we have had very different grocery experiences. I can't explain that.

I live right in the middle of the shit in michigan.  I live in Oakland county, less than a mile from Macomb county, and less than 4 miles from Wayne county (where I work).  Those counties are easily identified as the bright red counties on this map:

Those 3 counties account for 8,584 of the 10,710 total cases.  Everyone I know that works in healthcare is saying it's going bonkers.

Yes. I live in Wayne County and have a cousin and friends who work at Beaumont Dearborn. The situation is...not good.

I still can't explain the disparities in grocery stock levels between your county and mine, although I have avoided Kroger because the store near me is always mobbed. I've had decent luck at Meijer, food-wise.

Fae

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #205 on: April 03, 2020, 01:17:34 PM »

I"m with you FrugalNacho, I live in Wayne County (Livonia) and it sucks. The nearest grocery stores to me are right off of I-96 and they are always swamped with people we can't even shop there. Based on the number of cars I saw exiting the highway to go to the stores, I'm assuming alot of people are coming from Detroit/Redford to get supplies. We've been going over to the stores in Northville if we need something, they're emptier and have more produce but bread, milk, and eggs are still hit and miss.  I haven't seen any Paper products on the shelves.

happyfeet

• Stubble
« Reply #206 on: April 03, 2020, 01:33:27 PM »
I am in Macomb.  I have not been to the store in three weeks.  Did instacart with Costco two weeks ago - daughter did store pickup with Kroger.  And I will make do with what I have - I do not want to go into the stores - over 60.  I feel for our healthcare workers - it sounds terrible.

Would like to add Kroger pickup yesterday - no bread, mayo, tuna, frozen pizza, mac and cheese, paper products, coffee creamer,

Son was at Ann Arbor Costco - no TP, papertowels, soap, clorox stuff  but he spent $450 on a months worth of food so lots of food choices apparently.

The supply chain is interesting - the whole lack of TP is fascinating.  Even in SC, my friend cannot get TP.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 01:38:57 PM by happyfeet »

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #207 on: April 03, 2020, 02:15:41 PM »
I think the lack of TP can be explained by panic buying, and the fact that it's manufactured at the same rate as it's consumed. You have a large stockpile on the shelves, and it gets purchased at the same rate it's used, and likewise gets replaced at the same rate it is used.  Minor fluctuations are absorbed because the stores have many weeks of supply on hand at any given time, so the available supply on shelves stays around 90-100%. For whatever reason some people panic bought TP, that led to more people panic buying TP until the entire stock at every grocery store was depleted.  Now that TP can only be replaced as fast as it's produced, which is about as fast as it's normally consumed, and instead of fluctuating around 90-100% supply, it's fluctuation around 0%.  People are legitimately purchasing it as fast as it's produced and shipped to stores, because that's how it normally works, it's just extremely noticeable now because the baseline has been temporarily set to 0% inventory.  The perceived scarcity is probably driving all consumers to purchase even more than they need for the immediate future which only exacerbates the problem.

I don't know what the normal timeframe of TP usage is normally stocked by stores, but it's going to take at least that long for things to level off.  For example if the normal average inventory of TP in stores would last 1 month, it will take at least 1 month to restock the supply if no one continued buying it. I have no idea about grocery store TP stock baselines though, so maybe someone that works in a grocery store can provide more insight.

I also imagine this is going to create a similar phenomenon to when people lived through the great depression or some other tragedy, where they permanently alter their behavior in seemingly irrational ways like hiding money in their mattress and walls. Totally foreign and bizarre to me, but I imagine living through some time of economic collapse when there was a run on cash and banks were failing would probably permanently rewire parts of your brain. My kid in 15 years is probably going to be talking about and making fun of his crazy ass dad that always keeps a permanent rotating 9 month supply of toilet paper in the basement, and I'll have to explain to him the trauma the entire world went through in the great TP panic of 2020.  And he'll be like "dad, you're fucking crazy! There is TP available everywhere! There is no TP shortage, you can always just go buy more when you need it!".  And I'll just shake my head at his sheltered innocence as I continue shoving rolls under my mattress and hiding them in my walls to be sure I'm prepared once my 9 month supply shelf runs bare. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #208 on: April 03, 2020, 02:36:39 PM »
I planted one of our last rolls of TP in the garden yesterday.  Gonna be laughing in a few months when I'm harvesting our new toilet paper tree.  :P

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #210 on: April 03, 2020, 04:00:28 PM »
Just listened to a scary podcast (from a series specifically about the pandemic), where an activist was talking about the potential for up to 50% of seasonal and/or undocumented workers to be sick and out of the fields by May, mainly b/c there is no health support for them from employers or the official gov't support/health systems and b/c they need to hide illness and keep working or be cut loose from their jobs.  He was anticipating produce and other food shortages as a possible result of simply not being able to harvest food.  I have no idea how realistic that is, but the idea seems reasonable and scary.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #211 on: April 03, 2020, 04:14:46 PM »
Just listened to a scary podcast (from a series specifically about the pandemic), where an activist was talking about the potential for up to 50% of seasonal and/or undocumented workers to be sick and out of the fields by May, mainly b/c there is no health support for them from employers or the official gov't support/health systems and b/c they need to hide illness and keep working or be cut loose from their jobs.  He was anticipating produce and other food shortages as a possible result of simply not being able to harvest food.  I have no idea how realistic that is, but the idea seems reasonable and scary.

I read about that too in the Globe and Mail (Canadian newspaper). Supposedly there may be a food shortage in fall during harvest season as the farms can’t get enough produce planted in spring. DH says it’s fear mongering but I told my sisters in Toronto to stay stocked up at least until the end of the year and not to believe the people who say that the virus will go away once it warms up. That’s just a theory and if it were true, rates in Arizona and Southern California and Texas, as well as Malaysia and Indonesia and Australia should be much lower than the northern colder parts of the world. Better to stay stocked up. Better safe than sorry.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #212 on: April 03, 2020, 04:57:24 PM »
I expect significantly higher prices for food if not outright shortages.  Not entirely sure what the best way to prepare for that is.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #213 on: April 03, 2020, 05:05:25 PM »
Found this cool and very simple way to make yeast for baking:

https://www.boredpanda.com/yeast-shortage-life-hack/

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #214 on: April 03, 2020, 05:09:37 PM »
I expect significantly higher prices for food if not outright shortages.  Not entirely sure what the best way to prepare for that is.

Plant your own food if possible. At least you’ll have some fresh produce. Go to the pick your own farms north of the city and pick/buy stuff, then dry/freeze/can. Eat fresh food while it’s still available, and save up stores of canned veggies/fruit. A lot of the fruits/veggies are imported. So as long as the virus doesn’t significantly impact imports, it may be possible to still find fresh food from other countries.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #215 on: April 03, 2020, 05:14:50 PM »

Plant your own food if possible. At least you’ll have some fresh produce. Go to the pick your own farms north of the city and pick/buy stuff, then dry/freeze/can. Eat fresh food while it’s still available, and save up stores of canned veggies/fruit. A lot of the fruits/veggies are imported. So as long as the virus doesn’t significantly impact imports, it may be possible to still find fresh food from other countries.

That's not a solution.  I've planted my own garden regularly for years.  It won't come close to providing what our family normally eats, even if we doubled the size.

My dad's a farmer, so I could probably get most of what we need straight from him . . . but it could be rough for a lot of people.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #216 on: April 03, 2020, 05:16:51 PM »

That's not a solution.  I've planted my own garden regularly for years.  It won't come close to providing what our family normally eats, even if we doubled the size.

My dad's a farmer, so I could probably get most of what we need straight from him . . . but it could be rough for a lot of people.

But at least they will have SOME fresh produce. Better than nothing.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #217 on: April 03, 2020, 06:45:52 PM »
Grocery report! I went to Aldi's. Not 100% stocked, but pretty decent. They were low on cereal, no TP/PT, very little kleenix, some paper plates. Had milk, eggs, bread, pasta, etc. Overall, lots of per item limits. I got everything on my list just fine, but my list didn't include the things they were out of. Somehow I ended up with 8-9 boxes of cereal, so that's what I'm eating for breakfast right now. My area in general isn't taking the virus that seriously - lots of people out, tons of people in the Menards parking lot. But everyone was pretty good about keeping distance at least.

My parents are in Wayne county Michigan, and they're poster children for high risk. Mom has been thoroughly spooked. No idea what did it, but she's staying in and keeping dad in. Getting groceries delivered as needed. Sister sent them some stuff from Target, including TP I believe.

Channel-Z

• Stubble
« Reply #218 on: April 03, 2020, 06:51:32 PM »
I didn't buy toilet paper tonight, but it was available in bulk packages of 12 if anyone needed it. Rice, pasta, ramen, flour, frozen and canned vegetables are still slow to return.

My preferred store is now taping arrows to the floor to try to guide one-way traffic. Most people ignored the arrows.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #219 on: April 03, 2020, 07:47:40 PM »

But at least they will have SOME fresh produce. Better than nothing.

Yes. Agree. No one said it was a perfect solution. But for those of us who aren’t farmers and don’t have farming relatives, we do the best we can with the resources we have.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #220 on: April 03, 2020, 07:57:19 PM »
My city/county is a developing hotspot with over 1,200 cases diagnosed and death toll climbing. They have not ordered total lockdown, but all non-essential businesses are closed and people are advised to stay home unless the trip is deemed necessary. Public parks are still open and outdoor exercise is allowed as long as folks maintain minimum distances and do not use any facilities - playground/restrooms/benches/exercise stations. I'd say about 50% of the population seems to be taking this seriously, but I've had to get on my husband who has poor situational awareness as the other asshats don't seem to care about maintaining space so he's got to pay attention for his own safety now. ;)

Went to Aldi and HEB (Texas grocery chain) today.

Both still out of all toilet paper, sanitizer and most cleaning products. Aldi had some paper napkins and non-bleach cleaners. HEB had a very anemic shelf of mostly dish soap.

Most everything else was fine. Eggs, milk, cheese, meats, junk... in decent quantities. Lots of regular flour/sugar and other staples in both places.

Only weird thing was Aldi was out of blue cheese salad dressing. They're usually swimming in it, but all they had was ranch and thousand island and the oil based ones.

My house is fine on everything. We have a few months worth of tp, don't use paper towels anyway, had lysol and bleach and hand sanitizer already laying all over the place and even a nearly full bottle of 91% alcohol that I use to make window cleaner (which is also strong enough to sanitize the way I make it). I even have a homemade lavender oil/alcohol based yoga mat cleaner I can use in a pinch. No kids, no close relatives, already homebodies that don't socialize much in person and neither one of us have health issues or advanced age to consider us high risk.

rosarugosa

• Bristles

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #222 on: April 04, 2020, 08:32:26 AM »

Also not a very good solution where I live.  Soil not conducive, lack of rain, brutal heat, expensive water.  We'd have to spend tons of money getting a set up for it and have to buy everything from soil to water to get anything to grow. Not to mention the hail we are prone to getting regularly.  We have dabbled in veggie gardening occasionally over the years, and figured out our cherry tomatoes cost about 50c per tomato LOL.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 08:34:27 AM by wenchsenior »

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #223 on: April 04, 2020, 08:41:03 AM »
Still seeing bare shelves here too.  Could be my timing and rationing by the store.

Walmart doesn't offer any toilet paper for pickup.  I'll wait until Monday to go in and look for some.  I'm sure there are essential employees looking to shop on the weekend.  Since I'm off work I'll wait till the work day.

I haven't run out yet!

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #224 on: April 04, 2020, 08:43:18 AM »

It adds up. Even if gardening only provides 10% of what a family eats that’ s 10% less you have to buy and less that the supply chain needs to deliver. Plus it tastes good.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #225 on: April 04, 2020, 10:50:06 AM »

Also not a very good solution where I live.  Soil not conducive, lack of rain, brutal heat, expensive water.  We'd have to spend tons of money getting a set up for it and have to buy everything from soil to water to get anything to grow. Not to mention the hail we are prone to getting regularly.  We have dabbled in veggie gardening occasionally over the years, and figured out our cherry tomatoes cost about 50c per tomato LOL.

I don't have any of those soil or rain issues, but I do have the same cherry tomato result. I strongly suspect that I'm just shit at growing things.....

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #226 on: April 04, 2020, 11:04:29 AM »

I don't have any of those soil or rain issues, but I do have the same cherry tomato result. I strongly suspect that I'm just shit at growing things.....

It's funny b/c I can grow flowers/ornamentals like gangbusters (though I use mostly natives suitable for this difficult climate).  But produce and houseplants? Not so well. 

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #227 on: April 04, 2020, 11:10:10 AM »
Went to Kroger at 8am today.  Toilet paper aisle was already decimated.  There was a single 4 pack of the cheap toilet paper for $0.79 so I snatched it.  Out of several items on my list including pizza dough mix and block cheese.  I stopped at BJ's on my way home since they opened at 9am and I scored a big 36 pack of TP. Only had to wait in line 20 minutes with everyone else also buying TP.  I assume it was completely gone by the time I left.

My son broke our toilet handle this morning so I tried to stop at home Depot on my way home, but they are limiting the number of people inside and there were about 50 people waiting in line outside.  I'll just jury rig something up and order a new handle online.

Halfsees

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #228 on: April 04, 2020, 11:15:51 AM »

Besides gardening, you can also learn wild foraging. We live in the mid Atlantic so right now we're eating chickweed, violets, some wild mushrooms and waiting for red buds to bloom. 

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #229 on: April 04, 2020, 11:29:48 AM »

It's funny b/c I can grow flowers/ornamentals like gangbusters (though I use mostly natives suitable for this difficult climate).  But produce and houseplants? Not so well.

I'm good with trees and bushes - apples, walnut, lemon, black currants, that sort of thing. Trees and I have an understanding. I'm not so good with smaller things. Even my houseplants are the hard to kill varieties.....

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #230 on: April 04, 2020, 11:51:23 AM »

It adds up. Even if gardening only provides 10% of what a family eats that’ s 10% less you have to buy and less that the supply chain needs to deliver. Plus it tastes good.

10% sounds wildly optimistic.

We have a 20 x 3 ft plot for our garden.  Grand total we usually get about three weeks of vegetables from this garden
(Obviously not all at once, this would be over the whole summer.)  That's three weeks of 52, so typically I'd say that the garden provides roughly 1% of our families needs.  It does taste good . . . but it is not in any way something that someone should seriously consider a food source.  Even if we quadrupled the size of the garden somehow and took over the whole yard (whether or not the necessary seeds/soil for this are going to be available is also very unclear) we still would not hit your halcyon numbers of 10%.  And this is also assuming a good year - if it's very wet we would likely lose 50%.

I'm all for a can do attitude and trying to better your situation, and don't think growing garden is a bad idea.  We're going to do a garden this year (have already started our seedlings for this - and that's another thing . . . if you haven't already started your seedlings for a garden in this part of the world you're also pretty much fucked).  But if it's down to trying to make it living off the vegetables from our garden because we're dying of starvation - we will certainly die.  Pretending otherwise doesn't do us any good.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #231 on: April 04, 2020, 02:23:29 PM »
"If you haven't already started your seedlings for a garden in this part of the world you're also pretty much fucked."  I totally disagree.  I live in a colder part of the country than you and have no problem growing lots of things from seed (beans, peas, carrots, zucchini, lettuce) planted directly in to soil in early June.  I get a great crop.  The only things I buy as small plants are cucumbers and peppers, mostly because they're readily available.   I don't do tomatoes, but that would clearly be another.  I don't have a particularly green thumb, but just keep things consistently watered, and presto!  Vegetables in a couple of months.

Queen Frugal

• Stubble
« Reply #232 on: April 04, 2020, 03:24:14 PM »
Went to Kroger at 8am today.  Toilet paper aisle was already decimated.  There was a single 4 pack of the cheap toilet paper for $0.79 so I snatched it.  Out of several items on my list including pizza dough mix and block cheese.  I stopped at BJ's on my way home since they opened at 9am and I scored a big 36 pack of TP. Only had to wait in line 20 minutes with everyone else also buying TP.  I assume it was completely gone by the time I left.

My son broke our toilet handle this morning so I tried to stop at home Depot on my way home, but they are limiting the number of people inside and there were about 50 people waiting in line outside.  I'll just jury rig something up and order a new handle online.

Happy to hear you finally snagged some TP!

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #233 on: April 04, 2020, 03:36:38 PM »
DH went out for supplies today. He said he was only one of two people in the entire store wearing a mask. And it was about as crowded as normal... with people paying little to no attention to social distancing.

God, people make me angry sometimes.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #234 on: April 04, 2020, 03:37:45 PM »

Congrats!

This gives me hope about my planned shopping trip on Monday or Tuesday. I'm hoping to find TP for my elderly parents at BJ's. Mom and Dad are finally convinced that they should not "just run to the store for a few things," so I might need to pick up a few other things for them. Between BJ's and Meijer, I hope to stock us up well enough to be hermits for another 11-12 days.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #235 on: April 04, 2020, 04:26:02 PM »
I tried and failed to do a Costco trip - when I got there it was a 1 hour + line to get in. The other small grocery store we like has also recently shut down. Our cheaper options are dropping like flies, unfortunately :( I see increased grocery spending in our future.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #236 on: April 04, 2020, 04:38:40 PM »

I planted cherry tomatoes at some point in the distant past, and now they self seed and inhave a gazillion of them...

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #237 on: April 05, 2020, 10:47:22 AM »

I am now disappointed the USA Costco site will not let me order elk meat.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #238 on: April 05, 2020, 10:52:44 AM »
I planted cherry tomatoes at some point in the distant past, and now they self seed and inhave a gazillion of them...

In the right location they'll do that. It's fabulous. When I was growing up my Dad kept a big garden and planted cherry tomatoes one time. Ever after we just let some volunteers grow up to produce more.

I did get ONE volunteer tomato this spring, it's growing. We'll see what it ends up being.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #239 on: April 05, 2020, 01:28:37 PM »
Stopped at walmart yesterday and they had a decent quantity of angel soft 72 and 96 packs of tp, and store brand (12 or 24) packs as well. LOTS of paper towels. No real cleaning products containing bleach. I resisted the lizard brain call to get TP as we have plenty. But there was a real driving need to BUY IT AND BUILD A FORT IN THE GARAGE.

They're doing social distancing/limited entry. Despite a large amount of folks wearing masks/gloves, there were still tons of people not paying a bit of attention on distances from others.

ETA: forgot to post I saw a tricked out jeep in the parking lot with "AMERICANS DONT HIDE" (and yes, the contraction "don't" was missing the apostrophe). So apparently true Americans are immune to viruses?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 02:55:29 PM by Frankies Girl »

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #240 on: April 05, 2020, 02:50:21 PM »
Interesting article on food distribution.  The shift from people eating out to eating at home is causing problems, just as the upthread mention of TP use shifting from work to home.

ice_beard

• Bristles
« Reply #241 on: April 06, 2020, 11:03:26 AM »
Just went to our local grocer, it had been 13 days. 
Supplies were good, produce was top notch as usual and they had garlic this time. 
Paper products aisle was barren.  We are good on TP.  We have actually been bartering it with others.  Fresh eggs for some TP. 

Still limit 1 package of eggs per customer.  Peanut butter remains scarce.  Got a jar of Skippy "natural" which still has added sugar, but a lot less than the usual stuff, so I guess that makes it "natural"?  Tortilla selection was limited, mostly flour only.

We have a costco delivery scheduled for later this week.  Will be interesting to see what shows up.

Other than that, I got everything on the list. 

There were a few people not wearing masks.  Most were employees which I would think they should need them the most since they have a lot of exposure.  People are excessively staying the hell away from each other.  It's refreshing.  No more personal bags, they bag in crappy plastic bags again.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 11:06:14 AM by ice_beard »

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #242 on: April 06, 2020, 11:52:13 AM »
Got a jar of Skippy "natural" which still has added sugar, but a lot less than the usual stuff, so I guess that makes it "natural"?

I don't think it actually has less sugar, it's just that it has real sugar, not high fructose corn syrup. Maybe also lacking some other weird ingredients.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #243 on: April 06, 2020, 12:05:12 PM »
Husband shopped last week.  Our milk expires Friday.  We are going to try to make it to Tuesday. So no milk for a few days.

Several of our restaurants are offering grocery services.  Because they aren't selling as much prepared meals, they are selling beans, rice, bread, vegetables, eggs...they are still getting their supplies.  It's a good option if you run out of beans or rice because the stores are bare. 

We are almost out of whole wheat flour.  Because we are limiting our shopping, I'm unlikely to send hubby to the BBQ place to buy it.  He'll go to one store for milk, and get whatever else is on the list, and that's it.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #244 on: April 06, 2020, 12:16:28 PM »
I did a Costco run this morning.  Line went entirely around the building 20 minutes before they opened, but it was orderly.  I'd say 95% of shoppers were wearing face masks of some sort.  Oddly enough, almost none of the costco employees were.  Took an hour and a half to get inside, but I was able to get stuff we've been doing without for the last couple weeks (eggs!  TP!  milk!).  Most of the stuff that we were looking for was in stock, and the employees were doing a good job of ensuring that people in queues were keeping proper distance.

It's going to be very painful to do this line up outside the store thing in December/January/February though.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #245 on: April 06, 2020, 12:26:32 PM »
I donned my mask and went out this morning to restock us on produce and some shelf-stable items and to pick up some supplies for my elderly parents, as they couldn't get a grocery delivery appointment earlier than this weekend.

The good: BJ's Wholesale had beautiful produce and most of the food items on my list. The store was not very crowded, and the majority of shoppers were in masks. I didn't hear any coughing.

The bad: BJ's didn't have TP, bleach, or any of the other items on my parents' small list. In fact, the entire area where TP is usually stored was full of bottled water (as if they've given up selling TP). None of the employees wore masks. On to Meijer.

The good: Meijer had facial tissues, almond milk, and bananas on my parents' list, and the rest of the items on my own list except masa harina and dried garbanzos. The majority of shoppers wore some type of facial covering, no one was coughing or sneezing, and people were generally respecting the social distancing. The check-out lines had plexiglass shields in front of the cashiers, who were spraying down the conveyor belts with disinfectant between each sale.

The bad: No bleach. Apparently I had just missed the day's allotment of TP, as I saw it in a few carts. I asked one shopper where she found hers, and apparently she was lucky enough to catch the worker as she was bringing it out of the stock room. (She pulled down her mask to tell me this, thus negating any benefits.) None of the employees wore masks. Only a few registers were open, so the lines to check out were ridiculous. My anxiety has been terrible lately, and I started panicking and came very close to just leaving my cart and walking out.

I ended up giving a dozen rolls of TP from our Costco pack to my parents. I'll try again in a couple of weeks to see if I have better luck. I think it's time to install a bidet.

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #246 on: April 06, 2020, 01:44:34 PM »
I did a Costco run this morning.  Line went entirely around the building 20 minutes before they opened, but it was orderly.  I'd say 95% of shoppers were wearing face masks of some sort.  Oddly enough, almost none of the costco employees were.  Took an hour and a half to get inside, but I was able to get stuff we've been doing without for the last couple weeks (eggs!  TP!  milk!).  Most of the stuff that we were looking for was in stock, and the employees were doing a good job of ensuring that people in queues were keeping proper distance.

It's going to be very painful to do this line up outside the store thing in December/January/February though.
I had a similar line up at my grocery Saturday morning, 1.5 hours to get in, but little line up to get out.....what I found funny - the guy in line in front of me to check out was the same guy in front to get in, and the guy behind me to get in was 2 behind me to check out....just find that an interesting data point.   

Stores in Ontario are limiting how many customers can be in the store at the same time, employees ensuring proper distancing in line, ie tape on the floor, your stuff doesn't go on the conveyor until customer in front has finished bagging.   Stores are waiving the 5 cents a bag for plastic to discourage people bringing reusable bags and moving the virus around.

I need to get better at getting to the store closer to opening.   I think I arrived soon after the store had hit capacity, so the line ballooned.   Line to get in was much shorter when I left.   But since I snagged one of last bags of flour, it was 1.5 hours well spent, as I've been trying to buy flour for 3 weeks now.

I've read some interesting articles about why there are shortages - it's not just hoarders, it's the transition from commercial to retail consumption.   For example, they suggest that households are using at least 40% more TP not because they're going to the bathroom more often, but because they're doing it at home instead of the office/restaurant/school/mall etc.    Food will be similar for most households (not us, we were already packing our lunches to work), think about how many people used to eat in restaurants that are now eating at home - that translates to a big shift in how food is distributed/packaged.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #247 on: April 06, 2020, 01:52:02 PM »
Stopped at the grocery store the other evening. Aside from four employees there was one customer besides me. No TP, no rice and no AP flour but everything else was plentiful and no crowd. 8PM at night. Store closes either at 9PM or 10PM.

Eventually we'll need TP.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #248 on: April 06, 2020, 02:09:08 PM »
As others have said Costco has implemented a limit on people in the store and every costco I've read about has been fucking nuts with lines out the door.  The costco by me is normally so packed on the weekends that it's difficult to find a parking space, and it's even worse now that they're limiting people inside.  I've basically given up on costco and probably won't be going back for a couple of months unless things settle down signficantly.

I just got word that BJ's and Kroger are doing the same thing now and will be limiting the number of people inside to a small fraction of their actual capacity. 

I posted the other day that Home Depot has instituted a similar policy and there as a line of 50 people waiting outside the store when I tried to go this weekend.  Not worth waiting in line with 50 assholes to go into home depot and buy 1 item.

This is just getting more and more frustrating.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #249 on: April 06, 2020, 02:14:54 PM »
Husband shopped last week.  Our milk expires Friday.  We are going to try to make it to Tuesday. So no milk for a few days.

Expired doesn't necessarily mean bad.  If you sniff the jug it may smell sour because of what is around the ring/lip may be sour, but decant it into another container (preferably glass, I swear milk tastes better and lasts longer stored in glass) and give it another sniff test? 

For the future and stretching out shopping trips, you can also freeze milk.  Some people only use it for cooking after it's been frozen.  I don't mind (especially now) using it for cereal.  I try to freeze half the gallon promptly upon opening.  I do freeze in plastic, or whatever I have empty at the time.  But, as it thaws I transfer it to a glass jar.  I do think milk is better left to thaw in the fridge with no quick microwave thawing, especially if you want to use it on cereal or for drinking.

ETA: I had no idea I had so many thoughts about milk! hah!  My partner has a habit of leaving things sit on the counter, so small portions, decanting into a quart jar early on after opening the gallon can really increase the lifespan of the milk for us!  If he lets a quart sit out for a couple hours it's not as tragic as the whole gallon. 
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 02:18:49 PM by PMG »