Author Topic: Grocery shopping  (Read 110902 times)

Blue Skies

• Stubble
Re: Grocery shopping
« Reply #150 on: March 30, 2020, 05:03:43 AM »
Many people have talked about running to the grocery store to get milk. Don’t you guys have UHT (shelf stable) milk where you live. We mainly drink imported milk and it all comes in shelf stable tetra paks. They last for several months in the pantry and we can buy several liters at a time.

I think our local grocery store has a few of these, but I have never seen anyone buy them.
Personally, we go through 2-3 gallons of (fresh) milk every week.  It seems really inconvenient to be buying it by the Liter instead (8-12 a week!).  That is a lot of packaging.

Bettersafe

• Stubble
« Reply #151 on: March 30, 2020, 11:14:21 AM »
Well, at least we know were to get some tp!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA4KS546rZo

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #152 on: March 30, 2020, 02:20:55 PM »
Went food shopping for my mother in law today.  One item she wanted was sauerkraut.  The store was out. Plenty of pickles and cole slaw, but no sauerkraut.  Not on the shelves, not at the deli, not in the refrigerated section.  Why a run on sauerkraut, of all things...

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #153 on: March 30, 2020, 04:59:41 PM »
Maybe I'll just spray some alcohol on my hands if I get really desperate!

Not sure if you were serious, but for general knowledge you need water with the alcohol. That's why 70/30 IPA is industry standard.

Pg 39:  https://www.cdc.gov/infectioncontrol/pdf/guidelines/disinfection-guidelines-H.pdf

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #154 on: March 30, 2020, 05:05:09 PM »
Went food shopping for my mother in law today.  One item she wanted was sauerkraut.  The store was out. Plenty of pickles and cole slaw, but no sauerkraut.  Not on the shelves, not at the deli, not in the refrigerated section.  Why a run on sauerkraut, of all things...

@stoaX

If you have a Aldi nearby, check them out. They're a German-based business and ALWAYS have jars of sauerkraut every time I've been in the last few weeks. Or get her a nice head of cabbage and make your own. Way healthier and super easy. I'm actually doing this as I wanted the good gut bacteria and as much as I love the store bought sauerkraut, the jar/canned stuff is pasteurized so the bacteria is killed (still tasty tho).

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-homemade-sauerkraut-in-a-mason-jar-193124
^suggests minimum time is 3 days (but can be MUCH longer to get the flavor you prefer)

https://thepioneerwoman.com/food-and-friends/how-to-make-sauerkraut/
better photos but seems a bit more involved than the basics

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #155 on: March 31, 2020, 01:03:42 PM »
Our city has been under social distancing/essential business only guidelines for several weeks and stay at home orders for several days.  I ventured to the grocery store for the first time in about 2 weeks today.   I went midmorning, figuring I'd miss the old/immunocompromised window but beat the lunch crowd.

There is still NO toilet paper, nor kleenex type products. There were a few things of baby wipes, and small number of paper towel rolls.  The prepackaged dinner aisle (mac and cheese etc) and the canned vegetable aisles were decimated (except for artichokes and beets, which luckily I happen to love).  I got the last package of salted butter in a yawning empty case (there was still fake butter).  The rest of the dairy was available, but picked over/low supplies. Except, weirdly, the dessert case, which was pretty full.

There was no yeast or flour at all (except spelt flour).

There was no bleach, hand sanitizer, pump style hand soap, sterilizing wipes, or sterilizing house cleaning products of any sort. Weirdly, the dishwasher detergent aisle was also almost depleted. 

This is 2.5 weeks after one would have supposed the 'panic response' would have struck.  So fucking weird.

The flour especially amuses me....people are going to be so damn fat when this pandemic is over LOL.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #156 on: March 31, 2020, 02:49:59 PM »
Our city has been under social distancing/essential business only guidelines for several weeks and stay at home orders for several days.  I ventured to the grocery store for the first time in about 2 weeks today.   I went midmorning, figuring I'd miss the old/immunocompromised window but beat the lunch crowd.

There is still NO toilet paper, nor kleenex type products. There were a few things of baby wipes, and small number of paper towel rolls.  The prepackaged dinner aisle (mac and cheese etc) and the canned vegetable aisles were decimated (except for artichokes and beets, which luckily I happen to love).  I got the last package of salted butter in a yawning empty case (there was still fake butter).  The rest of the dairy was available, but picked over/low supplies. Except, weirdly, the dessert case, which was pretty full.

There was no bleach, hand sanitizer, pump style hand soap, sterilizing wipes, or sterilizing house cleaning products of any sort. Weirdly, the dishwasher detergent aisle was also almost depleted. 

This is 2.5 weeks after one would have supposed the 'panic response' would have struck.  So fucking weird.

The flour especially amuses me....people are going to be so damn fat when this pandemic is over LOL.

Reptilian brain says 'eat more' during times of crisis. After the quakes in Christchurch, NZ, we had a phenomenon we called 'quake weight'. Some of us still have a little jiggly reminder......

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #157 on: March 31, 2020, 04:39:46 PM »

@stoaX

If you have a Aldi nearby, check them out. They're a German-based business and ALWAYS have jars of sauerkraut every time I've been in the last few weeks. Or get her a nice head of cabbage and make your own. Way healthier and super easy. I'm actually doing this as I wanted the good gut bacteria and as much as I love the store bought sauerkraut, the jar/canned stuff is pasteurized so the bacteria is killed (still tasty tho).

^suggests minimum time is 3 days (but can be MUCH longer to get the flavor you prefer)

I second this! Funny timing, I've been trying to get DH to start another batch 'cause I've been craving it.
@AnnaGrowsAMustache funny to think how this may be my reptilian brain reaction, "must have sauerkraut..." ;)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #158 on: March 31, 2020, 05:19:14 PM »

Several of my friends have made similar jokes.  (I've actually lost a couple of pounds, but I don't eat wheat).  For me, personally, here's the thing. I don't want to shop more than every 2 weeks, so I'm baking bread for the family.

I have two boys, ONE A TEENAGER, and he normally eats school lunch.  The bread, seriously, is to fill him up as best I can and not go broke.  I'm baking 2x a week.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #159 on: April 01, 2020, 12:28:14 AM »
Same. I’ve lost 12 lbs since this started two months ago for us (in China). And we’ve been baking like crazy — donuts, cake pops, pumpkin pie, cinnamon buns, bread, muffins, etc. we haven’t been exercising more than normal either since we were under self-quarantine and now are under mandatory quarantine.

I guess part of the reason is because I can reduce the amount of sugar I use. I also make smaller portions so I guess less is eaten at one sitting.

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #160 on: April 01, 2020, 08:24:47 AM »

@stoaX

Thanks. Looks easy, fun and hopefully delicious!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #161 on: April 01, 2020, 08:55:23 AM »

It's a silly misconception that flour somehow makes you fat.

Our family has eaten a little over a loaf of fresh (mostly white) bread a day for the past two weeks.  I've lost five lbs.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #162 on: April 01, 2020, 09:56:47 AM »

Our family has eaten a little over a loaf of fresh (mostly white) bread a day for the past two weeks.  I've lost five lbs.
It's very much dependent on the person.  Flour, like sugar, spikes your blood sugar and can put you into a never-ending cycle of eating carbs - and that can make you fat (because you are constantly hungry).  The key (for me anyway) is to make sure I get plenty of fat and protein with the carbs.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #163 on: April 01, 2020, 09:59:20 AM »

Not to mention, if these people are baking for the first time, there may well be a lot of absolutely inedible results depending what they're trying to bake. I've been baking bread for many years now, but my first several attempts... hoo boy.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #164 on: April 01, 2020, 10:01:37 AM »

My social media feeds suggest a lot of baking of cookies, cakes, and other sweet baked goods.

oldmachines

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #165 on: April 01, 2020, 10:12:44 AM »
As a hunter and fisherman I am thankful for the freezer full of wild fish and game meat that I always have. TP is another matter but like I told the wife. The shower is 3 feet away from the toilet if we run out.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #166 on: April 01, 2020, 10:20:46 AM »
As a hunter and fisherman I am thankful for the freezer full of wild fish and game meat that I always have. TP is another matter but like I told the wife. The shower is 3 feet away from the toilet if we run out.

Me too !    Four deer, a wild hog, bunch of fish, plus a bunch of other meat and produce stashed away.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #167 on: April 01, 2020, 12:59:27 PM »

I recommend you move to a 1 wipe, then hit the shower system.  Trust me, start early - long before your TP is out.  The 1 wipe way is a lot better than no wipe.

Aggie1999

• Bristles
« Reply #168 on: April 01, 2020, 01:13:48 PM »

I recommend you move to a 1 wipe, then hit the shower system.  Trust me, start early - long before your TP is out.  The 1 wipe way is a lot better than no wipe.

If not enough TP for even one wipe, just use the garden hose in the back yard. Free fertilizer!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #169 on: April 01, 2020, 03:38:27 PM »

If not enough TP for even one wipe, just use the garden hose in the back yard. Free fertilizer!

. . . and you're performing an essential service.  Providing entertainment for the neighbours!

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #170 on: April 01, 2020, 05:59:58 PM »
My grocer was also out of tp, cleaning supplies.  Next week I have a pickup order at Wal-Mart.  Not sure if their meat is even worth eating but I'll give it a shot.  Trying to do my part!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #171 on: April 02, 2020, 10:27:36 AM »
So, I have an "in".  One of the teachers at our elementary school has a 17 yo son who works at the closest grocery store.  He messaged me that they had eggs!  So hubby went up in the afternoon (perfect time, it was way slow), and got the things on the list that made sense for that store.  Score!

Still have a Costco run to do, but his plan is to see if there's a long line.  If not, go in.  If there is, skip it.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #172 on: April 02, 2020, 11:25:57 AM »
So, I have an "in".  One of the teachers at our elementary school has a 17 yo son who works at the closest grocery store.  He messaged me that they had eggs!  So hubby went up in the afternoon (perfect time, it was way slow), and got the things on the list that made sense for that store.  Score!

Still have a Costco run to do, but his plan is to see if there's a long line.  If not, go in.  If there is, skip it.

Haha, the kid should get tipped for tips. Pandemic economics.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #173 on: April 02, 2020, 11:43:22 AM »
There are a number of things that I usually buy in quantity, and we started running low on rolled oats (which I generally buy 16-20 lbs of at a time -- some of us eat homemade granola daily). Kid 1 and I made a special trip to where it usually comes from, to find that entire section of the shelving was empty. Fortunately, their website indicates when things are in-stock, so a day or so after it said our store had more, I went back.  Turns out they didn't have 4 lb bags, but did have 2 lb bags, so I bought a mere 4 or 5 (so I didn't wipe out 30% of their supply). I'll have to go back while i'm thinking about it.

The asian market where we usually buy some stuff has been re-stocked with rice, so got a 20 lb bag -- it's in the car, hanging out for a few more days, along with a bottle of hoisin sauce, a big bottle of soy sauce, etc. etc.

Then went to Trader Joe's -- I really like our local Trader Joe's! (even though they stopped carrying white whole wheat flour for like $3/5 lb bag)and managed to get almost everything else on the list. Plus some really lovely looking produce, which means we can go a few additional days before I get to start it all again.

For the people wondering why we're buying 5-10 lbs of flour/week, we're baking bread every couple of days, and making desserts about 50% of the time. There are now 4 full-sized people, including young men aged 15 and 19 eating every single meal at home. We're going through a fairly spectacular amount of food, and everyone's being kinda thoughtful since we're not getting much activity.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #174 on: April 02, 2020, 11:51:31 AM »
There are a number of things that I usually buy in quantity, and we started running low on rolled oats (which I generally buy 16-20 lbs of at a time -- some of us eat homemade granola daily). Kid 1 and I made a special trip to where it usually comes from, to find that entire section of the shelving was empty. Fortunately, their website indicates when things are in-stock, so a day or so after it said our store had more, I went back.  Turns out they didn't have 4 lb bags, but did have 2 lb bags, so I bought a mere 4 or 5 (so I didn't wipe out 30% of their supply). I'll have to go back while i'm thinking about it.

The asian market where we usually buy some stuff has been re-stocked with rice, so got a 20 lb bag -- it's in the car, hanging out for a few more days, along with a bottle of hoisin sauce, a big bottle of soy sauce, etc. etc.

Then went to Trader Joe's -- I really like our local Trader Joe's! (even though they stopped carrying white whole wheat flour for like $3/5 lb bag)and managed to get almost everything else on the list. Plus some really lovely looking produce, which means we can go a few additional days before I get to start it all again.

For the people wondering why we're buying 5-10 lbs of flour/week, we're baking bread every couple of days, and making desserts about 50% of the time. There are now 4 full-sized people, including young men aged 15 and 19 eating every single meal at home. We're going through a fairly spectacular amount of food, and everyone's being kinda thoughtful since we're not getting much activity.

Teenage boys are not easy to feed at the best of times. It's amazing how much they can consume.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #175 on: April 02, 2020, 04:09:26 PM »
The adults in our home started 16:8 intermittent fasting about a month ago. That works out to eating two meals a day. I’m hoping to move to 20:4 intermittent fasting (1 meal a day) at least a couple times a week to help conserve food. We are also changing our paradigm so that we are eating until we are not hungry, instead of eating until we are full.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #176 on: April 02, 2020, 05:16:53 PM »
I absolutely cannot deal with going to multiple stores at this point.

My youngest dd worked s going to shop for us once/week. She still goes out to work and seems okay with more public exposure than we are.

She says Aldi was STILL out of multiple items today.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #177 on: April 02, 2020, 06:38:57 PM »

Teenage boys are not easy to feed at the best of times. It's amazing how much they can consume.
I have one.  And I'm baking so much bread.  I don't eat wheat.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #178 on: April 02, 2020, 07:24:55 PM »
Fucking ridiculous, the store was absolutely decimated again today. No toilet paper.  Didn't have half the other stuff on my list either, including milk so I have to make another grocery run tomorrow.  We are low on milk because last week there was a limit on almost all items including milk so I could only purchase 2 gallons.

I don't know how you all keep finding toilet paper and well stocked stores.  It's been like a solid month of absolute panic buying in the metro Detroit area.  Like I said, I'm not going to starve because they do have food, but I can't even stick to a list and a menu plan and I have to just wing it and get whatever is available every time I go.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #179 on: April 02, 2020, 07:38:56 PM »
Fucking ridiculous, the store was absolutely decimated again today. No toilet paper.  Didn't have half the other stuff on my list either, including milk so I have to make another grocery run tomorrow.  We are low on milk because last week there was a limit on almost all items including milk so I could only purchase 2 gallons.

I don't know how you all keep finding toilet paper and well stocked stores.  It's been like a solid month of absolute panic buying in the metro Detroit area.  Like I said, I'm not going to starve because they do have food, but I can't even stick to a list and a menu plan and I have to just wing it and get whatever is available every time I go.

I don't know how much different the situation is in Oakland county, but what time of day do you shop? I've gone early in the day (before 11 am) and have been able to get most of my list. The crowds are also smaller. Also, I know the bigger stores are slammed. For example, in my area, Joe Randazzo's was able to restock some of their sold-out products (dairy, dried beans, pasta) before the larger stores because there's less foot traffic.

I have not confirmed this personally, but I have been told by friends that Costco in Livonia has TP, at least in the mornings. I think there's a BJ's Wholesale Club in your area, and they may also have TP in the stores. If you're a member of either, it may be worth checking.

Of course, today may have been worse than it would have been otherwise because of the governor's announcement this morning. All of this sucks.

familyandfarming

• Stubble
« Reply #180 on: April 02, 2020, 08:57:47 PM »
I’ve mentioned this on other threads, but those that can’t find TP, go to any discount store and pick up an empty squeeze condiment bottle for under a $1! Fill with warm water and you have a portable bidet! Use a wash rag to dry your clean surface! I bought one for each of my daughters and spent more on postage than the bottles! They thought it was goofy but put them in their bathrooms in case of emergency!

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #181 on: April 02, 2020, 10:11:45 PM »
Costco is out of control busy all the time.  I haven't been there in the last 3 weeks or so because you can't even find a spot to park. Today I went to BJ's. Most of the stores don't open very early so I don't have enough time to go before work, so I have to go after work in mid afternoon.  I may have to go right when either Costco or Kroger opens on Saturday. 

VAR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #182 on: April 03, 2020, 06:20:51 AM »
I check walmart.com in the evening after they close. You can put in the search for toilet paper. Then filter by available in stores now. There's several walmarts near me so I select them all. Then go 1st thing in the morning before it's bought out.

pressure9pa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #183 on: April 03, 2020, 06:37:53 AM »
My small town store (the only one in town) seemed to get caught up this week.  They had eggs, milk, lots of toilet paper, and several canned items.  They were out of cat food. 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #184 on: April 03, 2020, 06:45:31 AM »
My small town store (the only one in town) seemed to get caught up this week.  They had eggs, milk, lots of toilet paper, and several canned items.  They were out of cat food.

I’ve had luck buying pet food from Chewy (online). Shipping is taking longer than normal, but I just checked and our cat’s food is still in stock.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #185 on: April 03, 2020, 08:10:13 AM »
I needed canola oil this week and managed to get the last bottle available at my neighbourhood chain grocery (it was hiding out with the identical shape corn oil bottles).  I live in the freakin land of canola, seriously what the f**k is going on?????  It is hilarious to see the very particular preference and loyalty to canola in these parts, we don't want no stinkin' corn oil. 

I don't need TP, but every time I go to the store I peak down that aisle to see the state of things, been clean out for a few grocery runs now.  I also check where the hand sanitizer would be out of some vain hope to be able to get some...my bottle of Purell is getting dangerously low and I am now rationing how often I clean my hands while out doing my shopping - for all the hoarders out there - for every backup bottle of hand sanitizer you have, there is someone like me out there likely spreading germs because I have to ration mine - well done. 

I have a list for Costco, but really, really don't want to go, but when I run out of olive oil in about a week or so I will suck it up and go - too many of my regular recipes need olive oil and I don't care to change my diet just yet.   

I tried to order a book off of Amazon, one month estimated delivery for an item that is sitting in stock.  So much for relying on delivery. 

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #186 on: April 03, 2020, 08:14:25 AM »
I will say that stuff I’ve ordered from amazon has come much faster than the estimated delivery. They are the one place that has continued to work well for me, although they are just out of some stuff, too.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #187 on: April 03, 2020, 08:33:36 AM »
Amazon has publicly stated that they are prioritizing shipments of groceries and household products so the wait times for things that don’t fall in those categories will automatically be much longer.

rosarugosa

• Bristles
« Reply #188 on: April 03, 2020, 08:41:15 AM »
I needed canola oil this week and managed to get the last bottle available at my neighbourhood chain grocery (it was hiding out with the identical shape corn oil bottles).  I live in the freakin land of canola, seriously what the f**k is going on?????  It is hilarious to see the very particular preference and loyalty to canola in these parts, we don't want no stinkin' corn oil. 

I don't need TP, but every time I go to the store I peak down that aisle to see the state of things, been clean out for a few grocery runs now.  I also check where the hand sanitizer would be out of some vain hope to be able to get some...my bottle of Purell is getting dangerously low and I am now rationing how often I clean my hands while out doing my shopping - for all the hoarders out there - for every backup bottle of hand sanitizer you have, there is someone like me out there likely spreading germs because I have to ration mine - well done. 

I have a list for Costco, but really, really don't want to go, but when I run out of olive oil in about a week or so I will suck it up and go - too many of my regular recipes need olive oil and I don't care to change my diet just yet.   

I tried to order a book off of Amazon, one month estimated delivery for an item that is sitting in stock.  So much for relying on delivery.
Don't forget eBay.  Books are usually quite cheap on eBay, and I've been having good luck getting eBay items quickly.  For those who don't usually do eBay, there are loads of "buy it now" options as opposed to auction type sales.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #189 on: April 03, 2020, 08:51:36 AM »

Don't forget eBay.  Books are usually quite cheap on eBay, and I've been having good luck getting eBay items quickly.  For those who don't usually do eBay, there are loads of "buy it now" options as opposed to auction type sales.

That is a good idea, but unfortunately not one that worked for me this morning, with the increased sticker price and shipping cost that option was going to double the price of an already very expensive to me book (70CND), so I will wait, and in the meantime, check out the Lynda instruction offerings - the book I want is the Affinity Photo Workbook, I thought learning the software, which is currently on sale for 50% off, would be a productive way to while away the extra at home time.  Hopefully Amazon does ship out the book much sooner than they predicted. 

lhamo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #190 on: April 03, 2020, 09:27:06 AM »
Maybe off topic but please consider purchasing items you might normally get from Amazon from small local stores instead.  I bought DD two test prep books from a local independent bookstore and they arrived in 2 days.  And hopefully my little bit of business will help keep that store going through a rough time.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #191 on: April 03, 2020, 09:37:49 AM »

I don't know how you all keep finding toilet paper and well stocked stores.  It's been like a solid month of absolute panic buying in the metro Detroit area. 

It seems random.  Some weeks you get flour, some weeks you get eggs, sometimes milk, sometimes butter, some weeks you might see TP.  But you're never going to see 'em all at the same time in one trip.  :P

Like I said, I'm not going to starve because they do have food, but I can't even stick to a list and a menu plan and I have to just wing it and get whatever is available every time I go.

It's been like this for the past three weeks here.  It's very annoying, and totally screws me up.  I normally plan our meals and buy just the stuff we'll need for that.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #192 on: April 03, 2020, 09:53:51 AM »

We've got a FB group on Corona and basically people are letting others know when they find TP, what store, what time.  Costco has it in the mornings, many stores have it and are limiting you to one pack. I now know that milk is restocked at least Tuesdays at our local grocery store.  I know our smaller, out of the way stores are much  more likely to have TP than drug stores or major grocery chains.

Our stores are "well" stocked but every store is missing SOMETHING.  So we attempt to do without, though this week was 2 stops.  Next time we shop should be when the milk expires / is gone, April 10.

And yes, no menu planning there's a lot of winging it.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 09:55:46 AM by mm1970 »

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #193 on: April 03, 2020, 10:20:38 AM »

Um, what?  You're going to go to Costco because you need olive oil?  When you have Canola oil?  See, this is why the virus keeps spreading.  Sigh.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #194 on: April 03, 2020, 10:24:14 AM »

I don't know how you all keep finding toilet paper and well stocked stores.  It's been like a solid month of absolute panic buying in the metro Detroit area. 

It seems random.  Some weeks you get flour, some weeks you get eggs, sometimes milk, sometimes butter, some weeks you might see TP.  But you're never going to see 'em all at the same time in one trip.  :P

Like I said, I'm not going to starve because they do have food, but I can't even stick to a list and a menu plan and I have to just wing it and get whatever is available every time I go.

It's been like this for the past three weeks here.  It's very annoying, and totally screws me up.  I normally plan our meals and buy just the stuff we'll need for that.

I haven't seen any TP in over a month.  It's like the lochness monster.  People all over keep claiming to see it, and I've seen grainy photos online, but when I search it I can't find any evidence that it even exists.  Egg supplies have been looking rough for the last 3 weeks.  I've been able to get them each time I go, but the the shelves are damn near empty and I have had to buy some of the more expensive cage free brands.  Yesterday they still had the 5 dozen mega packs so I got one of those.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #195 on: April 03, 2020, 10:35:20 AM »
Our main grocery store today was still very well stocked except for garlic for some strange reason. Still no TP, but it's not a store that stocks much in terms of household items anyway, like one small aisle and that includes pet food.

This will be our last trip there though as they aren't heavy on rule enforcement there. The giant grocer across the street is not fucking around, so now that the numbers are getting bad, we'll switch to just shopping at the more expensive, but far more regimented store.

That said, after I bulk cook today's groceries, we'll have food prepped for nearly a month.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #196 on: April 03, 2020, 11:10:38 AM »

Um, what?  You're going to go to Costco because you need olive oil?  When you have Canola oil?  See, this is why the virus keeps spreading.  Sigh.

Olive oil can also be ordered online from Costco, along with many other shelf-stable foods. There's no reason to go to a store for one item right now.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #197 on: April 03, 2020, 11:14:51 AM »

Olive oil can also be ordered online from Costco, along with many other shelf-stable foods. There's no reason to go to a store for one item right now.

YMMV with that.  Costco here is out of nearly all shelf stable foods so the online service will not let you place an order for them.  You can get elk meat and caviar delivered though.  1-2 week waiting times for delivery.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #198 on: April 03, 2020, 11:17:02 AM »

YMMV with that.  Costco here is out of nearly all shelf stable foods so the online service will not let you place an order for them.  You can get elk meat and caviar delivered though.  1-2 week waiting times for delivery.

Oh man...I haven't had caviar in ages...

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #199 on: April 03, 2020, 11:18:13 AM »

Quick, someone find some recipes for elk meat and caviar!

This whole situation is crazy, and there's so much variation in the supply chains and distribution. I live one county over from frugalnacho and we have had very different grocery experiences. I can't explain that.