Author Topic: Grocery shopping  (Read 111025 times)

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
Re: Grocery shopping
« Reply #1200 on: September 25, 2020, 05:20:25 AM »
I also buy from Imperfect foods and have been for maybe 4 months. The well known delivery company that starts with an F is the big, big problem. My delivery day is Friday and several times it arrived on Saturday. Not good when temps are 95 degrees for days on end. I had to throw out most of the items when they arrived. I had meat, fish, cheese and all was warm and non existent ice. Long gone. I called Imperfect Foods and they were so nice and refunded me my money. So we tried it again and I believe the next time it arrived on Friday but I didn't order meat, only veggies/fruit. Then the next order, arrived on Saturday again. I think I lost about half the items this time and had to call again and again was refunded. However, isn't the idea to rescue these products and save money too! So, I talked to the woman a while and I told her all the problems with the F delivery company and how they just do not care if they deliver perishable products on time or not. They seem to have their own agenda and they do not care! I think my complaint helped a lot and they must have talked to someone who fixed the problem. I have been getting deliveries on Fridays. Today is Friday again and I wonder if I will get my delivery today. I ordered some meat this time so this will be interesting to see if it arrives and is cold. I too have gotten a few bummer veggies like green peppers that were kind of wrinkly and on it's last legs. Had to cook them up quickly. The one thing I do like about it is that you can pick out the items you want and not forced to take what they give you.

I also did Misfits for a while and was 90% happy with it but I could not select type of veggies I wanted. They sent too much squash and I don't like squash much. Too much kale, too many eggplants and some oddball stuff. At first I didn't mind and tried new recipes but I got tired of it and didn't want some of the stuff. I had heard that they might go to a model where you could select your own choices but I guess that hasn't happened yet.

I definitely blame the F delivery company for slipshod service. Imperfect Foods really tries hard and they have very nice people to talk to and solve issues.

On another note, I purchased a box of meat from a company in Central USA. They ship the meat to the east coast in frozen form and packed with ice packs. Once again, they used F delivery company. My box was supposed to arrive on a Thursday and F delivery company didn't deliver till Saturday. Meat was thawed, ice gone and meat was 50+ degrees. I contacted the company and told them what happened. They replaced the meat and shipped it with the other well known delivery starting with U. It arrived on time and in perfect condition to go directly into the freezer.

F delivery company has got to be offering a real deal for companies to choose them over the U delivery company. Like they say, you get what you pay for.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1201 on: September 25, 2020, 05:45:46 AM »
Thanks for the reviews! I’ve been getting ads for Misfits because they just expanded to Michigan and I was curious.

We’ve done Hungry Harvest off and on for a couple of years, and started the subscription again back in spring. The produce quality has consistently been good, and the variety of fruits and veg is good (in the last few weeks, we’ve gotten little avocados, different hard squashes, grapes, mini-watermelon, grapefruit, mushrooms, kale, salad mix...). We can add extras either of the week’s produce selection or from the marketplace (I usually add lemons and cilantro), or refuse things we don’t want. Neither of us likes artichokes, so those are on the “never send” list in our account. The boxes are dropped off on Saturdays by local drivers and are still cold (and I get a text to let me know the box is on the porch).

They don’t sell meat, and dairy and pantry item availability varies widely, so we still get those from local stores.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1202 on: September 25, 2020, 06:18:59 AM »
For those of you looking for yeast, have you tried Walmart.com? They have tons of choices!

https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=yeast

Runrooster

• Bristles
« Reply #1203 on: September 25, 2020, 08:50:11 AM »
I’m interested in trying Imperfect Foods. Can someone PM me a referral code or discount code or both?
I signed up without it but they said they can add it. I have to admit the prices weren’t that great. I usually shop at an International grocery store which is a little imperfect already. I avail myself of whatever they have on their clearance rack. Last week I got pomegranates 2/$1 and guavas 3/$1. Plus radish lettuce tomato. And the regular yellow peppers were on sale $1.49/#.  It was a very good week.

Oh I did end up going back for the canned beans. They had restocked but were still out of garbanzos. Got black and kidney beans though.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1204 on: September 25, 2020, 08:59:58 AM »
Ugh.  Now there are no paper towels anywhere.  WTF 2020.

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1205 on: September 25, 2020, 09:48:53 AM »
I’m interested in trying Imperfect Foods. Can someone PM me a referral code or discount code or both?
I signed up without it but they said they can add it. I have to admit the prices weren’t that great. I usually shop at an International grocery store which is a little imperfect already. I avail myself of whatever they have on their clearance rack. Last week I got pomegranates 2/$1 and guavas 3/$1. Plus radish lettuce tomato. And the regular yellow peppers were on sale $1.49/#.  It was a very good week.

Oh I did end up going back for the canned beans. They had restocked but were still out of garbanzos. Got black and kidney beans though.

Check your PM.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1206 on: September 25, 2020, 11:43:49 AM »

See if this code works. I am new at this so let me know if it works!  http://imprfct.us/v/louise_692

DragonSlayer

• Stubble
« Reply #1207 on: September 25, 2020, 12:17:43 PM »

F delivery company has got to be offering a real deal for companies to choose them over the U delivery company. Like they say, you get what you pay for.

We have the same problem with F, but with HomeChef. (Yeah, I know not mustachian, but with high risk people present, anything to stay out of the stores is welcome. At this point, I'd rather just throw money at some problems.) Anyway, HelloFresh uses the U company. No problems. But my god, HomeChef and F and warm weather have been a disaster. It's not HomeChef's fault; they always mail the stuff on time and it gets picked up on time. But it takes 3 days to get the thing from one large city in this state to another. Inexplicable, and has made me use HelloFresh more as a result.

All I can think is that if F can't get it together before Christmas, there are going to be some seriously pissed off people over the holiday season.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1208 on: September 25, 2020, 05:19:04 PM »

We have the same problem with F, but with HomeChef. (Yeah, I know not mustachian, but with high risk people present, anything to stay out of the stores is welcome. At this point, I'd rather just throw money at some problems.) Anyway, HelloFresh uses the U company. No problems. But my god, HomeChef and F and warm weather have been a disaster. It's not HomeChef's fault; they always mail the stuff on time and it gets picked up on time. But it takes 3 days to get the thing from one large city in this state to another. Inexplicable, and has made me use HelloFresh more as a result.

All I can think is that if F can't get it together before Christmas, there are going to be some seriously pissed off people over the holiday season.

I have had nothing but trouble with F delivery company. I get odd ball deliveries at odd ball times. I let my dogs out the front door on a rope before we go to bed and sure enough, a package will be delivered late at night. UGH! Who wants to deal with a 40 lb box at that time of night and drag it into the house. Beyond annoying!

So, I got my Imperfect delivery today and sure enough, one item that was supposed to be frozen was squishy and NOT frozen. UGH! Makes me nuts!

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1209 on: September 25, 2020, 10:11:40 PM »
That sounds aggravating. I live in a big city, so I'm pretty sure Imperfect has their own drivers here. I seem to be at the beginning of their route because sometimes the stuff is here by 8 AM! I have had a couple of issues with the way things were packed but it's always been put right. And I keep the gel packs to refreeze when we have hurricane threats, so I don't mind getting those...

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1210 on: September 25, 2020, 11:02:17 PM »
Well, I just dug out 25 boxes of canning jar lids.  Looks like they're going for $12 a box on eBay.  I bought loads of them a few years ago when I was canning a lot and ran out of lids mid-canning project one too many times.

The other day I read that sugar cubes were getting hard to find.  I'd been meaning to buy some for my horses, so I went to the local grocery store and grabbed 4 boxes.

Also read re: pumpkin that many people stocked up on it because they feed it to their animals.  Since it's a fall crop, there was no way to catch up with the sudden, unpredicted increase in demand.

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1211 on: September 26, 2020, 09:20:53 AM »
Well, I just dug out 25 boxes of canning jar lids.  Looks like they're going for $12 a box on eBay.  I bought loads of them a few years ago when I was canning a lot and ran out of lids mid-canning project one too many times.

The other day I read that sugar cubes were getting hard to find.  I'd been meaning to buy some for my horses, so I went to the local grocery store and grabbed 4 boxes.

Also read re: pumpkin that many people stocked up on it because they feed it to their animals.  Since it's a fall crop, there was no way to catch up with the sudden, unpredicted increase in demand.

If you wait too long, the "rubberish" seal part of the lids can go bad over time ...

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1212 on: September 26, 2020, 09:34:37 AM »

If you wait too long, the "rubberish" seal part of the lids can go bad over time ...

I've been using them and they're fine.  However, it looks like someone is selling them for $9.50 with free shipping, so taking out eBay fees and shipping, it probably isn't worth the hassle after all.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1213 on: September 30, 2020, 08:18:47 AM »
Grocery store was in rough shape last night.  Especially the produce section.  Lots of signs about limited supply due to wildfires.  Did I just hit it on an off night?

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1214 on: September 30, 2020, 12:36:24 PM »
I haven't seen any lack of produce due to the wildfires and I live nearby.  My grocery store does continue to not ave grapefruit, but that shouldn't have been impacted and it's been many weeks that they haven't had any.  Back to limited supplies of tofu though, unfortunately!

This week the chips aisle also looked a bit dejected.  I'm not generally a chip buyer, but as I was passing by, it was bad enough for me to notice.  I'm just grateful beans and grains seemed to be stocked up, and produce is generally sufficient.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1215 on: October 01, 2020, 06:43:53 PM »
Just to report, the grocery store I went to today had lots of yeast (the small packages) and lots of canned pumpkin puree for pies (Thanksgiving is the 12th).  It also had both Halloween pumpkins and pie pumpkins. 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1216 on: October 01, 2020, 07:44:40 PM »
Yeah, I was able to get a jar of yeast at Meijer a couple of weeks ago. I haven't shopped this week, but I was able to get everything I wanted last week.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!