Author Topic: Grocery shopping  (Read 111034 times)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Grocery shopping
« Reply #1050 on: August 20, 2020, 12:14:35 PM »
My weird thing that has been missing for months: Grape Nuts and its generic equivalent. The generic went first and I had to buy the expensive name brand for a couple of weeks. Then no name brand since at least June.  I doubt demand is up for Grape Nuts, but supply must just be bizarre.  Are they making any?  I haven't really looked beyond my one store as I haven't been sufficiently motivated, but wouldn't that be even weirder if it was just my store?

You would be surprised how labour intensive castrating enough grapes for an entire bowl of grapes nuts actually is.

:P

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1051 on: August 20, 2020, 12:25:04 PM »
My weird thing that has been missing for months: Grape Nuts and its generic equivalent. The generic went first and I had to buy the expensive name brand for a couple of weeks. Then no name brand since at least June.  I doubt demand is up for Grape Nuts, but supply must just be bizarre.  Are they making any?  I haven't really looked beyond my one store as I haven't been sufficiently motivated, but wouldn't that be even weirder if it was just my store?

It may be more that Post has de-prioritized the production of Grape Nuts over more popular boxed cereals.

https://www.eatthis.com/fewer-food-options-grocery-stores/

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1052 on: August 20, 2020, 12:53:26 PM »
I called Campbells soup the other day to inquire about a certain product I have not been able to find for months now and they told me that they stopped production of that product to ramp up other products but told me it should be back in the fall. They probably analyze most popular products and least popular and shut down production on least popular to build up inventory.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1053 on: August 20, 2020, 01:13:11 PM »

It seems to be in stock around here (NC).  Now I'm craving Grape Nuts...

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1054 on: August 20, 2020, 01:22:48 PM »

It may be more that Post has de-prioritized the production of Grape Nuts over more popular boxed cereals.

That's bad news for those of us who don't want to eat chocolate frosted sugar bombs . . . or whatever the popular sugary cereal of du jour is.    : (

parkerk

• Bristles
« Reply #1055 on: August 20, 2020, 01:30:42 PM »

That's bad news for those of us who don't want to eat chocolate frosted sugar bombs . . . or whatever the popular sugary cereal of du jour is.    : (

I appreciate this reference though.  :)

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1056 on: August 20, 2020, 03:05:10 PM »
Go to Walmart.com, they have grapenuts and something that looks like Walmart version of it.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #1057 on: August 20, 2020, 03:15:03 PM »
Go to Walmart.com, they have grapenuts and something that looks like Walmart version of it.

I am all about generics, but Grape Nuts and Triskets are the two things I have found to have the wrong texture when going generic.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1058 on: August 20, 2020, 03:39:05 PM »

I am all about generics, but Grape Nuts and Triskets are the two things I have found to have the wrong texture when going generic.

I like the Safeway version, but I know what you mean. I refuse to try generic cheezits for this reason. 

I'm so sad about Post deprioritizing grape nuts, but wish at least Safeway would find their opportunity to profit and keep producing their generic.

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1059 on: August 20, 2020, 04:22:02 PM »

I’m still mourning the loss of bulk oatmeal :(. On the plus side, it’s been a good excuse to warm up the waffle iron more often.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1060 on: August 20, 2020, 04:40:53 PM »
I would guess that in both those categories demand is up, and not just in the US, while supply and shipping are both slower than normal.

I ventured into my neighborhood IGA for the first time since June, and some aisles are still pretty picked over - soup, noodle mixes, cleaning stuff and paper products. There was something available in all those categories but not a lot of selection.

Good meat sales, though.
I had good luck finding 1lb. blocks of yeast at the catering supply stores. They're about $5  and last forever in the freezer. I even mailed some to another forumite all the way in New York City!

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1061 on: August 20, 2020, 04:59:13 PM »
I do see that amazon has bricks of name brand yeast again, though it’s more expensive than Sams usually is, so I’ll probably grit my teeth and order it there.

There are plenty of Cheerios available if you don’t want sweetened cereal - I bought an enormous box of them today.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1062 on: August 20, 2020, 05:27:20 PM »

I’m still mourning the loss of bulk oatmeal :(. On the plus side, it’s been a good excuse to warm up the waffle iron more often.

I'm mourning the loss of bulk bins in general. I was working really hard towards refilling my own bags/jars with bulk things and buying way less plastic, and that's all gone completely out the window since Covid. Plus I just love being able to buy exactly the quantity I want.

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1063 on: August 20, 2020, 05:46:56 PM »

I'm mourning the loss of bulk bins in general. I was working really hard towards refilling my own bags/jars with bulk things and buying way less plastic, and that's all gone completely out the window since Covid. Plus I just love being able to buy exactly the quantity I want.

Totally agree.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1064 on: August 20, 2020, 09:32:12 PM »

Totally agree.

I'm sorry, you live in the wrong place, Bulk Barn is doing just fine here.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1065 on: August 20, 2020, 09:37:58 PM »

Totally agree.

Yes, I live in a current Covid hot spot state with a governor who refuses to mandate masks or really anything else. So unfortunately no bulk bins for a long time I expect! What I would give to live in Canada these days, haha

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1066 on: August 21, 2020, 04:47:19 AM »

Totally agree.

Yes, I live in a current Covid hot spot state with a governor who refuses to mandate masks or really anything else. So unfortunately no bulk bins for a long time I expect! What I would give to live in Canada these days, haha

Why are bulk bins banned? You can just not touch whatever you buy for a few days and it's fine. I don't get it. Our Bulk Barn was open even when everything was shut down.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
Grocery shopping
« Reply #1067 on: August 21, 2020, 06:30:58 AM »
The place I used to go to that had bulk bins shut them down and just filled the bins with pre portioned bags.

Some of the bins had the product in the bags from the roll (like oatmeal) while others the product was replaced with the store brand in a retail style package (raisins) or in little tubs.

It makes sense to me that they do not want a bunch of people using the scoops, opening the lids, using a communal pen to write on the tags it is a very high touch environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 07:11:19 AM by the_fixer »

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1068 on: August 21, 2020, 06:32:24 AM »

Totally agree.

Why are bulk bins banned? You can just not touch whatever you buy for a few days and it's fine. I don't get it. Our Bulk Barn was open even when everything was shut down.

Ours (at least in AZ) have been shut down since March. Places like Sprouts have pre-filled bags in the bulk bins, so you can just buy little bags of things. Whole Foods same thing. My local co-op just emptied all the bins. I'm assuming it's just a risk prevention thing, like kids (and plenty of grown adults) stick their hands in the bins, probably cough/sneeze in/near the bins, etc.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1069 on: August 21, 2020, 07:06:34 AM »

Totally agree.

Yeah, and people could just wear masks, and could just avoid unnecessary social gatherings, and could quarantine when they are infected/exposed but they apparently won't.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1070 on: August 21, 2020, 07:07:01 AM »
The place I used to go to that had bulk bins shut them down and just filled the bins with per portioned bags.

Some of the bins had the product in the bags from the roll (like oatmeal) while others the product was replaced with the store brand in a retail style package (raisins) or in little tubs.

It makes sense to me that they do not want a bunch of people using the scoops, opening the lids, using a communal pen to write on the tags it is a very high touch environment.
My local Sprouts did this. Curiously, the bulk spice section is business as usual.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1071 on: August 21, 2020, 07:14:06 AM »
The place I used to go to that had bulk bins shut them down and just filled the bins with per portioned bags.

My local Sprouts did this. Curiously, the bulk spice section is business as usual.
Sprouts here as well

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1072 on: August 21, 2020, 08:51:58 AM »

Totally agree.

Yeah, and people could just wear masks, and could just avoid unnecessary social gatherings, and could quarantine when they are infected/exposed but they apparently won't.

I’m starting to think that people outside of the USA really don’t have a concept of how horribly and selfishly many Americans are behaving right now. Three of my favorite in-state small businesses have made posts on social media in the last week to beg the public to stop verbally and physically assaulting their staff over the mask mandate, social distancing mandates, and changes to business due to the pandemic and postal slowdowns, and they’re far from alone. A favorite local restaurant opened back up to dine-in service, only to close again because the servers were being harassed. We’re under a 10-person maximum for indoor gatherings here in Michigan, and two local banquet halls have had 100+ person events shut down this month.

I’m absolutely appalled at the childish and selfish behavior. It’s not a majority of the country, but it’s an unacceptably large proportion of those who are regularly out and about. I don’t think I’d want to risk using a bulk bin that’s open to the public right now.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1073 on: August 21, 2020, 09:02:45 AM »

Totally agree.

I’m starting to think that people outside of the USA really don’t have a concept of how horribly and selfishly many Americans are behaving right now. Three of my favorite in-state small businesses have made posts on social media in the last week to beg the public to stop verbally and physically assaulting their staff over the mask mandate, social distancing mandates, and changes to business due to the pandemic and postal slowdowns, and they’re far from alone. A favorite local restaurant opened back up to dine-in service, only to close again because the servers were being harassed. We’re under a 10-person maximum for indoor gatherings here in Michigan, and two local banquet halls have had 100+ person events shut down this month.

I’m absolutely appalled at the childish and selfish behavior. It’s not a majority of the country, but it’s an unacceptably large proportion of those who are regularly out and about. I don’t think I’d want to risk using a bulk bin that’s open to the public right now.

Yes. This. Below is a news story about a video that was taken at a Sprouts in my lovely city. Warning, it's a pretty NSFW video (language)

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/video-shows-man-s-anti-mask-tirade-arizona-store-he-n1236517

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1074 on: August 21, 2020, 09:07:40 AM »
At the beginning, at Bulk Barn we waited in line (to keep numbers in the store low) and when we got in we did a personal shopper type of shop with a staffer.  Staffer had a cart with multiple scoops and did all the scooping, I just said when to stop.  Scoop went into a dirty scoop pile in staffer's cart, fresh scoop for the next item.  This was when we didn't know how much danger there might be from contaminated surfaces. 
Now that we are all wearing masks, we get gloves as we walk in and do our own shopping, following the arrows and maintaining distance. 

I am at risk and limiting my shopping.  Everyone wears masks, stores have hand sanitizer at the entrance, we are getting pretty good at distanccing, shopping is not a big deal.  Or maybe I'm not seeing it as a big deal because I am able to shop when stores are not busy.  The only thing I am concerned about is clothes shopping, because how can we try things on easily.  I'm just wearing out all my old clothes, but kids grow, so parents have to clothes shop.

The social distancing will be harder in winter, we know that.

I wish I could reach out to the Americans who poo poo all this to tell them that it isn't that onerous, it means we are looking after each other, and all that stuff.  But after reading blogs from bloggers I otherwise think well of, the push against the precautions seems to be deep. 

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1075 on: August 21, 2020, 11:04:37 AM »
Bulk Barn worked the same way here about a month ago.  Haven't been back yet to see if restrictions have loosened.  I rather hope not.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1076 on: August 21, 2020, 11:25:05 AM »

Totally agree.

Yeah, I don't think we do get it.
Everyone here pretty much wears a mask and follows the rules when shopping.

I saw one guy in a shopping mall not wearing a mask and shaking his head at mask wearers and it was such an unusual thing to witness that a number of us stopped and stared at him as he went down the escalator. It was so bizarre.

TrMama

« Reply #1077 on: August 21, 2020, 03:54:39 PM »
At the beginning, at Bulk Barn we waited in line (to keep numbers in the store low) and when we got in we did a personal shopper type of shop with a staffer.  Staffer had a cart with multiple scoops and did all the scooping, I just said when to stop.  Scoop went into a dirty scoop pile in staffer's cart, fresh scoop for the next item.  This was when we didn't know how much danger there might be from contaminated surfaces. 
Now that we are all wearing masks, we get gloves as we walk in and do our own shopping, following the arrows and maintaining distance. 

I am at risk and limiting my shopping.  Everyone wears masks, stores have hand sanitizer at the entrance, we are getting pretty good at distanccing, shopping is not a big deal.  Or maybe I'm not seeing it as a big deal because I am able to shop when stores are not busy.  The only thing I am concerned about is clothes shopping, because how can we try things on easily.  I'm just wearing out all my old clothes, but kids grow, so parents have to clothes shop.

I wish I could reach out to the Americans who poo poo all this to tell them that it isn't that onerous, it means we are looking after each other, and all that stuff.  But after reading blogs from bloggers I otherwise think well of, the push against the precautions seems to be deep.

Bulk Barn is better than ever. They have online ordering now, so I do that and then just step inside the front door to pickup my order. It's so much faster and less hassle I may never scoop my own food again.

Even in the before times my kids didn't usually try clothes on before buying. They'd pick out which item they wanted and I just bought the next size up. Or I'd get out the tape measure, measure them and we'd do the same exercise online. Kids clothes are basically all just glorified PJ's so fit isn't a huge issue. Covid hasn't changed the process at all. The only one that's a bit tricky are shoes. Sometimes we still need to try those on.

I totally don't get what's going on in the US, but that's not a new phenomenon and is totally unrelated to Covid. The only part that was tricky here was sometimes people were confused about what the new expectations were. Especially when each store/location had a different process. I quickly got in the habit of just politely asking the security guard or clerk, "What would you like me to do?"

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1078 on: August 21, 2020, 04:03:08 PM »

Totally agree.

Yes. This. Below is a news story about a video that was taken at a Sprouts in my lovely city. Warning, it's a pretty NSFW video (language)

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/video-shows-man-s-anti-mask-tirade-arizona-store-he-n1236517
Damn, when your kids have to physically carry you out of the store to shut you up maybe it is time to seek professional help...

Sadly happens all over the place, I have heard more than my fair share of people claiming it is a conspiracy, they are trying to muzzle us, implant chips with the vaccine to control us, it’s all 5g’s fault and so forth.

Hell I was even mask shamed at work by one of my co-workers while we were working a few feet apart and his mask was around his neck and there is a mask mandate at work. I have come to expect it at work since every time I have to go into the office I get to hear various rants on what a hoax it is and see people walk around with no masks on.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1079 on: August 21, 2020, 06:05:03 PM »

Bulk Barn is better than ever. They have online ordering now, so I do that and then just step inside the front door to pickup my order. It's so much faster and less hassle I may never scoop my own food again.

Even in the before times my kids didn't usually try clothes on before buying. They'd pick out which item they wanted and I just bought the next size up. Or I'd get out the tape measure, measure them and we'd do the same exercise online. Kids clothes are basically all just glorified PJ's so fit isn't a huge issue. Covid hasn't changed the process at all. The only one that's a bit tricky are shoes. Sometimes we still need to try those on.

I totally don't get what's going on in the US, but that's not a new phenomenon and is totally unrelated to Covid. The only part that was tricky here was sometimes people were confused about what the new expectations were. Especially when each store/location had a different process. I quickly got in the habit of just politely asking the security guard or clerk, "What would you like me to do?"

As we went from phase 2 to phase 3 some things changed, and different stores have slightly different setups.  Things are a lot smoother now, we have settled into a routine.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1080 on: August 21, 2020, 07:02:55 PM »

I like the Safeway version, but I know what you mean. I refuse to try generic cheezits for this reason. 

One thing I really like about HEB is that they do an excellent job on (HEB branded) generics. Including their cheezits.

Actually my HEB has 4 different generic/house brands!

Starting from low to high:

Hill Country Fare (HCF): Spotty on quality, I avoid unless it's the deli potato salad and coleslaw. Cheapest.
HEB: Excellent quality and price, slightly more expensive than HCF
HEB Organics: Excellent quality and price. For tomato/pasta sauce and ketchup, it's actually cheaper than regular HEB brand. Limited availability. 25oz tomato/pasta sauce $1.55 everyday, as low as $1 on sale.
Central Market/Organics: Highest priced, but often the only choice for organics.

...not that I've been to HEB in a couple of weeks.

However: Huge score this week at Costco. Nitrile disposable gloves!

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1081 on: August 21, 2020, 09:44:12 PM »

One thing I really like about HEB is that they do an excellent job on (HEB branded) generics. Including their cheezits.

Actually my HEB has 4 different generic/house brands!

Starting from low to high:

Hill Country Fare (HCF): Spotty on quality, I avoid unless it's the deli potato salad and coleslaw. Cheapest.
HEB: Excellent quality and price, slightly more expensive than HCF
HEB Organics: Excellent quality and price. For tomato/pasta sauce and ketchup, it's actually cheaper than regular HEB brand. Limited availability. 25oz tomato/pasta sauce $1.55 everyday, as low as $1 on sale.
Central Market/Organics: Highest priced, but often the only choice for organics.

...not that I've been to HEB in a couple of weeks.

However: Huge score this week at Costco. Nitrile disposable gloves!

My understanding is that for the HEB brand the guideline is that it has to be the same or higher quality as the major name brand version--Hill Country Fare is meant for the bargain hunters who are less quality-sensitive. I only get HCF if there aren't other options.

Blue Skies

• Stubble
« Reply #1082 on: August 22, 2020, 12:04:09 PM »
The only thing I am concerned about is clothes shopping, because how can we try things on easily.  I'm just wearing out all my old clothes, but kids grow, so parents have to clothes shop.

The answer around here seems to be that you just can't try things on.  I took my kids out clothes shopping yesterday and every one of the places we stopped had big signs out saying the fitting rooms are closed, no trying anything on at all.  I guess they expect you to guess on the size, buy it, and return it if it doesn't fit right?  At least we don't need too many new clothes right now.  The hassle of returning things is tempting me to just make do with what they have for clothes, and hope that things change (unlikely in the next 6 months, I know, but I'm hoping).

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1083 on: August 22, 2020, 01:57:50 PM »
The only thing I am concerned about is clothes shopping, because how can we try things on easily.  I'm just wearing out all my old clothes, but kids grow, so parents have to clothes shop.

The answer around here seems to be that you just can't try things on.  I took my kids out clothes shopping yesterday and every one of the places we stopped had big signs out saying the fitting rooms are closed, no trying anything on at all.  I guess they expect you to guess on the size, buy it, and return it if it doesn't fit right?  At least we don't need too many new clothes right now.  The hassle of returning things is tempting me to just make do with what they have for clothes, and hope that things change (unlikely in the next 6 months, I know, but I'm hoping).

I grew up in a small town in Northern Ontario.  There were no clothing stores, just the Sears catalog.  You measure yourself and check the sizing charts, then make your order.  A couple months later you get clothes that fit you.  This is not a complicated process - but you can get stuff shipped to your house a lot faster now.

I've continued to order clothes by mail for most of my life because it's so much easier/more convenient than going to a store to try them on.  :P  The only exception to this is shopping done in used clothing stores, which I've kinda given up on for the moment.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1084 on: August 22, 2020, 02:03:03 PM »
I’ve been buying fall and winter clothes for my grandson, and I just buy the next size up.

He’s 4 and he likes pants he can pull up and shirts with dinosaurs on them, so it’s pretty easy.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #1085 on: August 22, 2020, 02:12:10 PM »

I grew up in a small town in Northern Ontario.  There were no clothing stores, just the Sears catalog.  You measure yourself and check the sizing charts, then make your order.  A couple months later you get clothes that fit you.  This is not a complicated process - but you can get stuff shipped to your house a lot faster now.

I've continued to order clothes by mail for most of my life because it's so much easier/more convenient than going to a store to try them on.  :P  The only exception to this is shopping done in used clothing stores, which I've kinda given up on for the moment.

I also grew up somewhere remote and we ordered a lot from Sears, but that stopped working as soon as I hit my teens and overnight got waaaay to curvy for anything to fit anymore. There's exactly one store that makes jeans that fit my body type, and if they fold I'll have to just never wear jeans again, and stick with just stretchy everything. My clothing situation right now is a bit of a dilemma, because I never had a lot to begin with, and a lot of stuff is getting pretty close to unwearable. I have maybe a couple of months at most to either come up with a solution or find a nudist colony.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1086 on: August 22, 2020, 02:27:57 PM »
I'm realizing now much of my clothing is on its last leg, and in the next 6-12 months I will need to replace a lot of things. Running shorts, sports bras, leggings, and basic tanks. Most of these I've had for 8+ years, and they are my "weekend and evening clothes" but now that I don't "go" to work, I wear this stuff 24/7 instead of my nicer clothing that I was wearing when I physically went to work. I think that has definitely accelerated the wear that I am noticing suddenly the past 6 months. My favorite running shorts and sports bras (North Face) have sadly been discontinued like 5 years ago, and I wish I had bought 10 of each to keep for later but oh well. Normally I would be thrift shopping for replacements, but as I live in kind of a Covid hot spot I've been avoiding any shopping aside from the 1x per week produce/meat grocery run.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #1087 on: August 22, 2020, 02:37:02 PM »
I'm realizing now much of my clothing is on its last leg, and in the next 6-12 months I will need to replace a lot of things. Running shorts, sports bras, leggings, and basic tanks. Most of these I've had for 8+ years, and they are my "weekend and evening clothes" but now that I don't "go" to work, I wear this stuff 24/7 instead of my nicer clothing that I was wearing when I physically went to work. I think that has definitely accelerated the wear that I am noticing suddenly the past 6 months. My favorite running shorts and sports bras (North Face) have sadly been discontinued like 5 years ago, and I wish I had bought 10 of each to keep for later but oh well. Normally I would be thrift shopping for replacements, but as I live in kind of a Covid hot spot I've been avoiding any shopping aside from the 1x per week produce/meat grocery run.

I am not looking forward to when I need to replace sports bras. Finding options that offer high support for larger cup sizes is a nightmare, particularly if you don't want to spend an arm and a leg. "Light support - best for yoga classes!", no problem. Something I can box in without giving myself a black eye? Less so. LOL.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1088 on: August 22, 2020, 02:56:56 PM »

I am not looking forward to when I need to replace sports bras. Finding options that offer high support for larger cup sizes is a nightmare, particularly if you don't want to spend an arm and a leg. "Light support - best for yoga classes!", no problem. Something I can box in without giving myself a black eye? Less so. LOL.

I personally don't need high support sports bras, but I have many friends who do and they swear by Moving Comfort bras which I think got bought by Brooks running. I see them on Sierra.com and Zappos sometimes for good clearance prices, but not sure if you have Sierra or Zappos in Canada. They do seem to last forever, but new I think are in the $50-$60 range. I personally like North Face Bounce B Gone, which are quite snug, and not as expensive, but I am an A on a good day, so I can't pretend I know if they are truly high support. 

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1089 on: August 22, 2020, 03:06:06 PM »
Women's clothing sizes are so all over the place that you basically have to try them on or be willing to do a lot of returns.  I used to watch Ex buy shirts and pants without trying them on, and they would fit.  I could try 3 tops in the same size, different styles, from the same manufacturer and one would fit.  Same with pants. 

Fortunately the only thing I really need is a new winter coat, and I can try them on standing in the aisle.

TrMama

« Reply #1090 on: August 22, 2020, 03:42:12 PM »

Try bras from a running store. They seem to only carry high impact models.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1091 on: August 22, 2020, 04:11:15 PM »

Panache wireless sports bras. I pay $100AUD a piece but my goodness they are worth it.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1092 on: August 22, 2020, 04:53:31 PM »
@Zikoris, I don’t know if you’re referring to Mark’s Work Wearhouse, but they specifically carry a Curvy Fit jean.  They fit me perfectly.  I can’t see them ever going out of business.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1093 on: August 22, 2020, 04:57:30 PM »
Can’t you order the exact same thing you have now? I fully admit to being No Fun, but when I find something I like I order multiples of it.

It’s super annoying when my shape changes.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1094 on: August 22, 2020, 04:58:10 PM »

Panache wireless sports bras. I pay $100AUD a piece but my goodness they are worth it.

Seconded! I have a large cup/small ribcage conundrum, and the Panache sports bras are my favorites. Definitely worth the money for the support and comfort. You may be able to find them on eBay. Sometimes I find really good eBay new-with-tags deals on a style from last season or earlier.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #1095 on: August 22, 2020, 04:59:10 PM »
@Zikoris, I don’t know if you’re referring to Mark’s Work Wearhouse, but they specifically carry a Curvy Fit jean.  They fit me perfectly.  I can’t see them ever going out of business.

Nope, even places that have curvy fit jeans aren't curvy enough for me. The only place I can get them is Warehouse One. It seems like "curvy" by North American standards still involves having a fairly large midsection. Tiny waist and large hips, forget it.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #1096 on: August 22, 2020, 05:01:02 PM »
Can’t you order the exact same thing you have now? I fully admit to being No Fun, but when I find something I like I order multiples of it.

It’s super annoying when my shape changes.

I will probably try to do that. My problem is that I only get jeans every couple of years, and the styles change considerably in that time. If they have the exact one I've bought before, I will definitely get that one.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1097 on: August 22, 2020, 05:02:51 PM »
Ebay might be your friend.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1098 on: August 22, 2020, 05:09:41 PM »
Ebay might be your friend.

Oh, yeah this is a great suggestion! I've actually had a lot of success with buying clothing on Ebay. I will find something I really love at a thrift store, and then want multiples of it and I can usually track it down on Ebay if I wait long enough. It can be time consuming to search, but it takes less time than going to the thrift store and digging through racks

Blue Skies

• Stubble
« Reply #1099 on: August 23, 2020, 07:01:14 AM »

Well, I tried that with a swim suit this spring.  Ordered the next size up from what she wore last year, even verified she fit in the listed measurements for that size on the website.  Nope.  Needed two sizes larger than that.  Fun times.

My daughter is at the age where she is on the border between the largest sizes of "girls" clothing and the smaller sizes of women's clothing.  And yeah, measurements on women's clothing just don't seem to work most of the time.  I know for myself personally I can't just measure and order.  Almost never works.  And the cheaper the clothing brand the less likely they are to even list measurements on the website at all.  Or they will list one set of measurements that are supposed to apply to ALL the girls shirts, when you can clearly see that some are cut differently than others.  Super helpful.