Author Topic: Get Rich With: Linux  (Read 71897 times)

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
Re: Get Rich With: Linux
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2014, 06:04:57 PM »

Just in case you're one of us on the Dark Side... and didn't notice... Netflix and Linux are now natively possible.

all you need is a Debian system (or convert deb->rpm) and chrome:
https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2014, 06:12:33 PM »
It's also possible to install linux on a chromebook, giving people the opportunity to have a speedy, fully functional laptop for < $200 new.

I did this on my c720p (purchased $150 used to replace a 8-year old dell laptop) and it works great.

seanc0x0

• Bristles
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2014, 06:47:11 PM »
Since this thread predates my knowledge of this site, let me just say that I wholeheartedly agree with Linux making you rich. As a Linux (RHEL) sysadmin specializing in High-performance computing with former stints as Linux application and kernel developer, it has pretty much been my career.

That said, I'm posting this from a Macbook Air. I used to be very much OSS exclusive, but these days it's just work. When I get home I'd rather not worry about my computing needs.

otherbarry

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2014, 11:35:15 AM »
I have a Macbook Pro dual-booted with OS X and Ubuntu, as well as Windows 8 on a virtual machine on the OS X partition.

You could say I'm indecisive.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2014, 01:35:34 PM »
I've been running Linux exclusively at home for quite a few years now. Aside from being free, I find it just works better than Windows (for me, at least). We're running Linux on four computers. Eight if you count Android tablet and phone, EasyTomato router, and a desktop I built out of old spare parts that I plan to sell.

I've tried quite a few flavors of Linux, including Gentoo, Slackware/Slax, Ubuntu/Xubuntu/Kubuntu/Lubuntu, Mint, Fedora, and Arch. Arch Linux is by far my favorite so far which I'm running on three computers with Xfce. The Ubuntu derivatives (including Mint) are probably best for an inexperienced user, though I found Mint to run very slow on older hardware. Fedora + LXDE was much better on old hardware and still newbie friendly.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 01:37:16 PM by RWD »

hwstar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2014, 03:14:58 PM »
I don't think you'll get rich running linux, but you will have more freedom.

I've been using Linux on my home PC since the mid 90's. For most things it "does what it says on the tin". I use gnucash for keeping track of my finances. I had been using Turbotax online to do yearly income taxes, but recently switched to Tax Act Online as it was cheaper, and I didn't have to resort to tricking Turbotax into thinking I was running from a windows PC.

As an electronics hardware and software design platform it is exceptional.

I did not get completely rid of windows without some frustration. The support of scanners in Linux could be better. Also specialized printers such as label printers can be problematic.

I now use Linux Mint  and before that it was Red Hat, Fedora then Ubuntu.

eostache

• Stubble
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2014, 04:53:50 PM »
It's also possible to install linux on a chromebook, giving people the opportunity to have a speedy, fully functional laptop for < $200 new.

I did this on my c720p (purchased $150 used to replace a 8-year old dell laptop) and it works great.

I have a C720P chromebook also and I have been thinking of dual booting it with Linux. I'm a total Linux newbie. I've only read some tutorials on how to do it and I haven't actually tried it yet.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2014, 06:48:28 AM »
I used to use it as my sole OS for a few years (early Ubuntu user, started with 5.04, occasionally flitted between it and vanilla Debian), and then bought a laptop. As I couldn't get the wifi working on it in Linux, I used the default OS (Vista).

My laptop now is a MacBook Pro, but I tried Ubuntu on a spare laptop last year to see what it was like. All good until I ran software updates and the wifi refused to work afterwards.

Too bad Linux, too bad.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2014, 08:19:59 AM »
I used to use it as my sole OS for a few years (early Ubuntu user, started with 5.04, occasionally flitted between it and vanilla Debian), and then bought a laptop. As I couldn't get the wifi working on it in Linux, I used the default OS (Vista).

My laptop now is a MacBook Pro, but I tried Ubuntu on a spare laptop last year to see what it was like. All good until I ran software updates and the wifi refused to work afterwards.

Too bad Linux, too bad.

I've used some form of *nix as my sole OS since ~1990.  (It was SunOS4 back then).  I did have to really hack on wifi with really new hardware back about 4-5 years ago.  I haven't seen those issues lately... but that is probably going to vary from chip to chip.