Author Topic: Frivolous careers  (Read 61413 times)

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Frivolous careers
« Reply #150 on: December 05, 2014, 09:48:07 PM »
Success has no lessons to teach....The study of yesterday's failure leads to tomorrow's success

You have a good point, I agree failure is where the most powerful lessons lie. After reading of your motivation to study aviation (high return on investment in your program leading to FI), I can understand why you feel that way, and why it spurred you on to achieve that goal in another field.

People work for different reasons. People spend their money differently, because they have free will. The world still goes round.

Many of those who choose a degree which doesn't have a high ROI will not be deterred by logic, good sense, or threats of withdrawing support (well, I wasn't). They are best served by doing extraordinary projects outside the mainstream of what is done in their field, going for the most affordable path for education, and living frugally during and afterwards (see: the writer mentioned previously).

MMM is a great resource for everyone. This site has revolutionized my relationship to money: I have begun earning more than I thought I would as an artist, and save the vast majority of my take-home income (75-90%). 'Creatives' are essentially independent contractors, or small business owners, not employees. The arts educational system in no way prepares people for this. This is a significant part of why most people studying for an arts degree won't use it to become artists.

At any rate, I think we agree more than we disagree, Skyhigh. Welcome to a 'softer' forum ;)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 10:00:35 PM by expatartist »

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #151 on: December 05, 2014, 10:37:28 PM »
I have a French literature degree.

I now work in government communications/PR/media relations.  Some might consider my degree frivolous, but it's an interesting job, with very generous pay and benefits.  So I don't consider it to have been a frivolous endeavour.  I do a job I enjoy, meet interesting people, learn all kinds of new things, get paid very well, and most days I feel like what I'm doing could make a positive difference in someone's life.

People often forget about the very practical career possibilities for people with Arts/Humanities degrees.  Corporate communications (or government comms, PR, etc.) can be really interesting, and even in the private sector, the pay isn't terrible (not awesome, but not miserable either).  I work with policy analysts who have degrees in philosophy and also really enjoy their jobs and get paid well.  It's not all doom and gloom.

Yup.  I majored in English, and got a master's in Irish Literature.  I will make around $214,000 this year, mostly from my public relations job.  This work was also fantastic when I was a mother of young kids -- I worked as a freelance writer/PR consultant.  I had some lean years, but ended the run with a two-year contract for a retainer of $72K per year for 20 hours per week of work.

I won $50 bucks on a one dollar lottery ticket once. Luck, hard work, and circumstance has a role in all our lives however it seems to me that most English majors can not expect a similar outcome.

Skyhigh

My dad had an English major, flew F-14s and is retiring with something north of 5 million this year (the number changes depending on how many bottles of wine he's had).    You can do anything you want to do with anything.

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #152 on: December 05, 2014, 10:43:54 PM »
Some of the highest paying jobs in the world are in sales.  Just try majoring in sales in college.

It is so funny that our schools are so disconnected from the jobs that are out there.   Is there even a Civil Servant major?   My University didn't even offer a degree in Retail Banking,  Real Estate Sales or Stock Brokering. 
But lo and behold that is where many graduates ended up.

I have to imagine that something like a history of philosophy degree would be excellent for sales.    After the 200 level, my work in history was focused solely on making an argument.    Did Roosevelt know about Pearl Harbor before it happened?    How did tea change the history of the world?

The great thing about this was that there was no right answer, there were only supporting documents.   If I presented a good argument, and supported it, I could still get an A even if the professor or mainstream historians didn't agree with my premise.

That's sales.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #153 on: December 06, 2014, 05:56:48 AM »
Some of the highest paying jobs in the world are in sales.  Just try majoring in sales in college.

It is so funny that our schools are so disconnected from the jobs that are out there.   Is there even a Civil Servant major?   My University didn't even offer a degree in Retail Banking,  Real Estate Sales or Stock Brokering. 
But lo and behold that is where many graduates ended up.

I have to imagine that something like a history of philosophy degree would be excellent for sales.    After the 200 level, my work in history was focused solely on making an argument.    Did Roosevelt know about Pearl Harbor before it happened?    How did tea change the history of the world?

The great thing about this was that there was no right answer, there were only supporting documents.   If I presented a good argument, and supported it, I could still get an A even if the professor or mainstream historians didn't agree with my premise.

That's sales.

I couldn't agree more. Learning to make a persuasive argument is a great skill. Memorizing and repeating facts is not.

Skyhigh

• Bristles
« Reply #154 on: December 06, 2014, 11:43:20 AM »

I now work in government communications/PR/media relations.  Some might consider my degree frivolous, but it's an interesting job, with very generous pay and benefits.  So I don't consider it to have been a frivolous endeavour.  I do a job I enjoy, meet interesting people, learn all kinds of new things, get paid very well, and most days I feel like what I'm doing could make a positive difference in someone's life.

People often forget about the very practical career possibilities for people with Arts/Humanities degrees.  Corporate communications (or government comms, PR, etc.) can be really interesting, and even in the private sector, the pay isn't terrible (not awesome, but not miserable either).  I work with policy analysts who have degrees in philosophy and also really enjoy their jobs and get paid well.  It's not all doom and gloom.

Yup.  I majored in English, and got a master's in Irish Literature.  I will make around $214,000 this year, mostly from my public relations job.  This work was also fantastic when I was a mother of young kids -- I worked as a freelance writer/PR consultant.  I had some lean years, but ended the run with a two-year contract for a retainer of $72K per year for 20 hours per week of work.

I won $50 bucks on a one dollar lottery ticket once. Luck, hard work, and circumstance has a role in all our lives however it seems to me that most English majors can not expect a similar outcome.

Skyhigh

My dad had an English major, flew F-14s and is retiring with something north of 5 million this year (the number changes depending on how many bottles of wine he's had).    You can do anything you want to do with anything.

greaper007,

I agree that you can do anything you want in life but not everything. Life is very competitive. If one wants more than anything to become an airline pilot then I agree they can. However if one wishes also to have a family, financial resources, and personal a life intact often one can not. If someone wishes to retire early and enjoy a life that is more of their choosing then I believe that it is imperative to avoid starting out deeply in debt for a career path that will not likely bare considerable financial fruit.

I have customers right now who are $100,000 in debt for a BS degree and a masters in geology and can not even get a job in a grocery store. They are in big trouble.  We make choices in life. As a teenager aviation and higher education was presented to me as the path to higher earnings and a better life. My generation did not experience that and for those to follow increasingly will not either. Many careers in America have become working hobbies. Higher education can become a burden if indulged with reckless abandon. If one desires FIRE then there will be sacrifices to be made. The first step I believe is to find a practical profession that provides surplus income, control, and stability. It also should be transferable to other industries or careers. Most likely those careers are not fun, interesting, have much status, nor do they garner social respect. Those careers are fairly pedestrian and around us everyday. Workers in those fields are paid more for what they can do over what they will do.

The business I have now is not fun at all but cost very little to become certified for and produces far more than anything aviation could have done for me. My family is very happy with our new life and is prospering. I have a fair degree of control over my time. The main thing I had to do was to give up on my aviation dreams and to choose a realistic path for my self. I wish I could have had this perspective when I was 18 years old.

Skyhigh
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 11:53:35 AM by Skyhigh »

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #155 on: December 06, 2014, 12:06:40 PM »
Achieving something extraordinary in any field is very unlikely, but our civilisation advances exactly because men and women are attempting and occasionally succeeding to do just that. We need dreamers, particularly among teenagers. I still have respect for people who start out with an attitude "most might fail, but I will succeed". Without that you'll never become Hollywood A list actor or a professor of astrophysics.

Skyhigh

• Bristles
Frivolous Careers and Frugality
« Reply #156 on: December 06, 2014, 12:06:57 PM »
The most beneficial application of frugality begins with ones occupation. An ill performing and educationally expensive career is perhaps the most costly luxury of them all. In order to have money to save one needs a financial surplus to waste.

SKyhigh
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 12:28:51 PM by Skyhigh »

Skyhigh

• Bristles
« Reply #157 on: December 06, 2014, 12:10:33 PM »
Achieving something extraordinary in any field is very unlikely, but our civilisation advances exactly because men and women are attempting and occasionally succeeding to do just that. We need dreamers, particularly among teenagers. I still have respect for people who start out with an attitude "most might fail, but I will succeed". Without that you'll never become Hollywood A list actor or a professor of astrophysics.

Sure, I agree however we all have choices to make in life and the price of failure is often very high when one aims for achieving something extraordinary in a field. In my case I am after FIRE. I will take risks and make sacrifices for those ends.  Once that status has been firmly achieved then I will permit myself to focus on other distractions.

Skyhigh

Skyhigh

• Bristles
« Reply #158 on: December 06, 2014, 12:33:45 PM »
Hey, lots and lots of us on here are not in the high income brackets.  What matters is what you save/spend /invest.  In fact it may be harder for the high income people to be FI, because they are more likely to be exposed to all the "goodies" by friends and neighbours, and that can be hard to resist.  Much better to hang out with friends who are also being more conscious of their spending.

Plus we take for granted what we have.  I have never flown a plane and never will, because I found out at 12 that I have major vision issues.  I've loved it every time I have flown in a smallish plane, and the one time I got to sit in the jump seat of an Airbus (obviously well before 9/11) was one of the big thrills of my life.  And you take it for granted.

I owned some rental homes in an urban area and commonly my tenants would be earning many times more money that I did as an airline pilot. Occasionally they would ask for a rent reduction due to a personal "hardship". In the conversation I would explain how much I made as an airline pilot and that they earned many times over my income. The reality would hit somewhere mid sentence that yet they were in the financially superior position but were my tenants. The conversation usually ended there.  Some people burn through a lot of money on ridiculous things. I have never known what that is like. Must be nice.

Skyhigh

RetiredAt63,

Vision requirements have relaxed considerably to become a pilot. Perhaps you should inquire regarding your vision just to see if you might qualify today? When I started fight training one needed to have 20/20 vision, be height and weight proportional, and under the age of 30 in order to get a job as a legacy airline pilot. In the late 1980's medical requirements relaxed and discrimination lawsuits opened the doors to a larger cross section of people. Now there are amputees who are airline pilots. You might be surprised at what they approve anymore.

Skyhigh

Skyhigh

• Bristles
« Reply #159 on: December 06, 2014, 01:51:47 PM »
A few years ago I read that most business are started by those with only a high school diploma. I wish I could find that reference again for this discussion. My belief is that people who are wage earners earn more on average when they have a college degree however those who are able to attain FIRE are more likely to not have any college. (or at least they are just as likely to achieve FIRE) One reason I believe is that as a high school educated person if you hold high aspirations in life you have few opportunities unless you make them yourself.

About an hour ago I had a conversation with a guy I met at the local department store. He told me that he just got a job as a meter reader for the city. He also holds career aspirations of being a police officer.  I took a look at the job posting for my own son and discovered that he was to young. The department store guy however will enjoy a jump in pay from minimum wage into lower middle class for this area. He does not have any college or associated college debt. From this entry position with the city he now has job preference anywhere with the city job postings and has a leg up on competition for future police officer jobs. 

In my estimation this is a better path to FIRE than becoming deeply in debt for a college degree that does not offer certain and immediate financial returns. As a police officer in my town they work three 12 hour shifts per week leaving the remaining days free to flip houses or to start a business on the side. In addition city jobs offer better state backed retirement plans and benefits.

There are other similar  government jobs in my town that offer opportunity. One of the richest self made investors in town works as a janitor for a government entity. My point is that we are trained as kids in the public school system that the path to a better life lies in going to college and I just do not see that to be true. To an academic the answer is always more school and they are the ones in control of public school curriculum, culture, and dogma. Increasingly to me they are only offering a one sided message and that is "go to college or you will be a failure". The facts do not seem to be aligning in my experience.

One of my buddies is about to quit his police job at 38 and will be self sufficient from the side business he has built while working as a cop. No college for him and no debt helped a lot to achieve FIRE. College often creates false expectations that impede the path to FIRE. People are getting ahead in life though pedestrian jobs and common businesses while those with economics degrees earn minimum wage as bank tellers all the while paying off student debt well into middle age.

SKyhigh
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 02:04:42 PM by Skyhigh »

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #160 on: December 06, 2014, 02:02:39 PM »

Skyhigh

greaper007,

I agree that you can do anything you want in life but not everything. Life is very competitive. If one wants more than anything to become an airline pilot then I agree they can. However if one wishes also to have a family, financial resources, and personal a life intact often one can not. If someone wishes to retire early and enjoy a life that is more of their choosing then I believe that it is imperative to avoid starting out deeply in debt for a career path that will not likely bare considerable financial fruit.

I have customers right now who are $100,000 in debt for a BS degree and a masters in geology and can not even get a job in a grocery store. They are in big trouble.  We make choices in life. As a teenager aviation and higher education was presented to me as the path to higher earnings and a better life. My generation did not experience that and for those to follow increasingly will not either. Many careers in America have become working hobbies. Higher education can become a burden if indulged with reckless abandon. If one desires FIRE then there will be sacrifices to be made. The first step I believe is to find a practical profession that provides surplus income, control, and stability. It also should be transferable to other industries or careers. Most likely those careers are not fun, interesting, have much status, nor do they garner social respect. Those careers are fairly pedestrian and around us everyday. Workers in those fields are paid more for what they can do over what they will do.

The business I have now is not fun at all but cost very little to become certified for and produces far more than anything aviation could have done for me. My family is very happy with our new life and is prospering. I have a fair degree of control over my time. The main thing I had to do was to give up on my aviation dreams and to choose a realistic path for my self. I wish I could have had this perspective when I was 18 years old.

Skyhigh

I apologize in advance for the long post, but I was on a roll.

I'll disagree, I find I can do everything I want to do,  I just have to do it differently.   I could still be a pilot and have a family and support them.    We would simply have to be willing to live in a small apartment, my job would take priority over my wife's, and we'd move every few years so we could live in my domicile.     Now, I was changing domiciles every 6-9 months and my wife had a great job that paid 3 times what I was making so that arrangement would have been kooky.    If I made as much or more than she did though, it would have been great.   I simply would have bid reserve and spent time with my family.    The last few months I was flying I bid a line where I only did 1 standup overnight a week (fly out of Dulles to White Plains, sleep for 3 hours then fly White Plains to Dulles) and I still got a 70ish hour pay guarantee for the month.   No one wanted it because there was no way you'd ever go over guarantee picking up extra hours.     But, I drove a 20 year old car,and my wife made the bread, so I could cover my expenses on guarantee and I jumped at it.

Financial independence is a worthy goal, it's why we're all on this site.    There's also the Tim Ferris school of thought thought.    I'm trying to combine the two.    The four hour workweek philosophy would say this.   Want to drive a Ferrari?    You could buy one for over $100,000.   Or rent one for a day for about $700.    Like to ski?   Sleep in your minivan or pile 10 people into a hotel room and back country ski.    You can save the price of a lift ticket and get lots of fresh powder.   There's even some safe areas like abandoned ski resorts.

As far as the student example you brought up.   I had a good friend that graduated from an  expensive school with about the same amount of debt.   He had an undergrad in math, couldn't find a job and ended up working in a grocery store for a year.   Then he decided to grab the brass ring and started talking to actuaries about how to get into the field.    Now he's making an ungodly amount of money, living in a hip area of Chicago, working as an actuary.    A geologist could make big bucks working for oil companies, mining companies, have an interesting job working for the government etc.

I really have to disagree about going into a high paying field just for the money.   If you're interested in that field, fantastic.    If you're just doing it for money or because your parents think you should, it's a horrible idea.    I went into aviation because my dad was a pilot.   I liked it, but I was never really an adrenaline junky so there was a lot I didn't like about flying.   Still, I followed his advice so I could be like him and work 3 days a week and make $300,000.    First he said go in the military.   So I joined the Marines on an aviation contract.   Even though I'm a flaming liberal that abhorred the Bush doctrine before that phrase was ever uttered.   I lasted 6 weeks in OCS before I DORed.  And no, the yelling and physical training didn't bother me.   I was used to abusive parents so getting yelled at was old hat and I really liked the physical training.   I had abs for the first time in my life.    What bothered me was the kill kill America Fuck Yeah attitude everyone seemed to have.   I figured everyone would display some sort of existential angst about our chosen profession, but there wasn't much of that.

So I went to flight school.    Worked hard, got a job, and quit 3 years later because I didn't really like flying airplanes.    Our airline also had a crash and I knew one of the jumpseaters fairly well.  I had a 9 month old and couldn't imagine orphaning him for a job I didn't really care about.   I just wanted money and an easy schedule.    Something I could have gotten with my dad's connections.   If someone told me I'd have $1,000,000 in the next 5 years I still would have quit.

Nothing works unless you follow your interests.   If you have a passion, even better.   But mostly you have to follow your interests.   Once you get into a field then you simply have to be constantly looking for opportunities.   They're always there you just have to recognize them and take a leap.     Most psychologists my wife knows scrounge for a bs associate professor position at a small college.   Those jobs are considered the pinnacle of the career.    She decided to work for a for profit company, and then start a consulting firm.   At first she was looked down upon, and now she's envied.   Because she chairs international conferences and makes 6 figures at her own company.    Be agile.

Skyhigh

• Bristles
« Reply #161 on: December 06, 2014, 02:33:55 PM »

Skyhigh

greaper007,

Skyhigh

I apologize in advance for the long post, but I was on a roll.

I'll disagree, I find I can do everything I want to do,  I just have to do it differently.   I could still be a pilot and have a family and support them.    We would simply have to be willing to live in a small apartment, my job would take priority over my wife's, and we'd move every few years so we could live in my domicile.     Now, I was changing domiciles every 6-9 months and my wife had a great job that paid 3 times what I was making so that arrangement would have been kooky.    If I made as much or more than she did though, it would have been great.   I simply would have bid reserve and spent time with my family.    The last few months I was flying I bid a line where I only did 1 standup overnight a week (fly out of Dulles to White Plains, sleep for 3 hours then fly White Plains to Dulles) and I still got a 70ish hour pay guarantee for the month.   No one wanted it because there was no way you'd ever go over guarantee picking up extra hours.     But, I drove a 20 year old car,and my wife made the bread, so I could cover my expenses on guarantee and I jumped at it.

Financial independence is a worthy goal, it's why we're all on this site.    There's also the Tim Ferris school of thought thought.    I'm trying to combine the two.    The four hour workweek philosophy would say this.   Want to drive a Ferrari?    You could buy one for over $100,000.   Or rent one for a day for about $700.    Like to ski?   Sleep in your minivan or pile 10 people into a hotel room and back country ski.    You can save the price of a lift ticket and get lots of fresh powder.   There's even some safe areas like abandoned ski resorts.

As far as the student example you brought up.   I had a good friend that graduated from an  expensive school with about the same amount of debt.   He had an undergrad in math, couldn't find a job and ended up working in a grocery store for a year.   Then he decided to grab the brass ring and started talking to actuaries about how to get into the field.    Now he's making an ungodly amount of money, living in a hip area of Chicago, working as an actuary.    A geologist could make big bucks working for oil companies, mining companies, have an interesting job working for the government etc.

I really have to disagree about going into a high paying field just for the money.   If you're interested in that field, fantastic.    If you're just doing it for money or because your parents think you should, it's a horrible idea.    I went into aviation because my dad was a pilot.   I liked it, but I was never really an adrenaline junky so there was a lot I didn't like about flying.   Still, I followed his advice so I could be like him and work 3 days a week and make $300,000.    First he said go in the military.   So I joined the Marines on an aviation contract.   Even though I'm a flaming liberal that abhorred the Bush doctrine before that phrase was ever uttered.   I lasted 6 weeks in OCS before I DORed.  And no, the yelling and physical training didn't bother me.   I was used to abusive parents so getting yelled at was old hat and I really liked the physical training.   I had abs for the first time in my life.    What bothered me was the kill kill America Fuck Yeah attitude everyone seemed to have.   I figured everyone would display some sort of existential angst about our chosen profession, but there wasn't much of that.

So I went to flight school.    Worked hard, got a job, and quit 3 years later because I didn't really like flying airplanes.    Our airline also had a crash and I knew one of the jumpseaters fairly well.  I had a 9 month old and couldn't imagine orphaning him for a job I didn't really care about.   I just wanted money and an easy schedule.    Something I could have gotten with my dad's connections.   If someone told me I'd have $1,000,000 in the next 5 years I still would have quit.

Nothing works unless you follow your interests.   If you have a passion, even better.   But mostly you have to follow your interests.   Once you get into a field then you simply have to be constantly looking for opportunities.   They're always there you just have to recognize them and take a leap.     Most psychologists my wife knows scrounge for a bs associate professor position at a small college.   Those jobs are considered the pinnacle of the career.    She decided to work for a for profit company, and then start a consulting firm.   At first she was looked down upon, and now she's envied.   Because she chairs international conferences and makes 6 figures at her own company.    Be agile.

greaper007,

You are still approaching the problem from a wage earners perspective. Financially independent is about being free from working for others. If what you want is a good job then by all means proceed with your line of thought and I am sure that you will be able to work for the rest of your days in happiness. However if you are in search of Financial Independence so that you can Retire Early then maneuvering so that you can get a dream job is not necessarily the answer.

I know where you are coming from in regards to not wanting to work. Most pilots I believe are Peter Pan at heart and only want to play. Others do not hold such a delusion about work and approach it from the perspective that the ability to offer difficult quality labor and persevere is a noble act and lesson to be learned from. Others here, and your self included, have learned that any job no matter how fun will become work over time, and in kind, that any job that can be perceived as work can become fun with experience. I refer to it as the work versus play ethic. In my experience the sooner one can abandon the play at work ethic the better off they will be.

Another element of achieving FI I believe is control. As a pilot being forced to move every few years is extremely detrimental to financial progress. Every time we move our financial momentum is brought to a halt as money goes out the window to moving expenses and to starting over. Also when trying to start a business, buy real estate, or establish a community network staying in one place is important. Being able to choose where and how you live is an important element to achieving FI and a higher quality of life.

It seems to me that you are still clinging to the "career will save us" concept and I hope it works out for you.

Skyhigh

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #162 on: December 06, 2014, 03:23:07 PM »

Even though you may hate it Pharmacy is still the better way to achieve FIRE. If you are lucky enough to become employed through geology or environment science the careers most likely will dictate where and how you live. You could be pushed out or a job with every budget cut, contract fulfillment, or regime change. As a pharmacist you can work in most any town at an upper middle class income. Our aging population will certainly need more pharmacists over time however geologists are not in high demand. I see a lot of geologists and environment majors who end up steaming milk for hire after college or living in a grass hut overseas for meager incomes.

Skyhigh

Pharmacy is not the instant-employment-$100,000 job anymore. My close friend is a professor at a Pharmacy school and he says that the change has been dramatic. For 20 years new grads had jobs lined up before they took their final semester classes. Now, less then half of them are employed at graduation.

Much of the work is being sent overseas and also techs are taking up some of the slack.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #163 on: December 06, 2014, 03:26:43 PM »
Let me remind you that being financially independent doesn't necessarily mean that one wants to retire early or even at all.

Skyhigh

• Bristles
Can you? VS Will you?
« Reply #164 on: December 06, 2014, 03:29:39 PM »
How can you tell if you have a frivolous career or not? One of the ways I have determined is to take a simple test.

During the interview were there questions like the following:

Will you work all hours including nights, weekends, and all holidays?
Will you surrender a portion of your self determination and live where we we want you to?
Will you work for a reduced wage in comparison to your peers of similar training and education? 

Or:

Can you solve this problem for us?
Can you effectively manage these assets?
Can you sell these products?

"Can" jobs are usually much better than "will" jobs. People who can do things usually are treated with more respect, better wages, and benefits because you have a unique skill set that is in demand. People who will do things over others usually are in the negotiation disadvantage because their skills are common or there is huge competition in that field. You have to be willing to undercut the other guy in order the get the job. In the "can" situation they have to beat your other job offers in order to secure you for employment.

Skyhigh

Skyhigh

• Bristles
« Reply #165 on: December 06, 2014, 03:32:05 PM »
Let me remind you that being financially independent doesn't necessarily mean that one wants to retire early or even at all.

Sure, I agree, but if one desires to accomplish FIRE, and what I understand the mission of what this forum is about, then retirement should be a focus.

SKyhigh

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #166 on: December 06, 2014, 03:39:03 PM »
How can you tell if you have a frivolous career or not? One of the ways I have determined is to take a simple test.

"Can" jobs are usually much better than "will" jobs. People who can do things usually are treated with more respect, better wages, and benefits because you have a unique skill set that is in demand. People who will do things over others usually are in the negotiation disadvantage because their skills are common or there is huge competition in that field. You have to be willing to undercut the other guy in order the get the job. In the "can" situation they have to beat your other job offers in order to secure you for employment.
This is rubbish. We have a number of people on the forum who work in high powered jobs (what you might call "can" jobs), yet who are required to work all sorts of ridiculous hours, so the "will" questions you pose can be assumed. The main difference between interviewing with a "can" to interviewing with a "will" is the level you are employing a person at - "can"s have experience, whereas "will"s are entry level jobs.

I would also really appreciate it if you didn't include two extra lines with a signature - you already have your id next to each post, and these extra lines just add to the amount that needs to be scrolled through.

Skyhigh

• Bristles
« Reply #167 on: December 06, 2014, 04:06:46 PM »

This is rubbish. We have a number of people on the forum who work in high powered jobs (what you might call "can" jobs), yet who are required to work all sorts of ridiculous hours, so the "will" questions you pose can be assumed. The main difference between interviewing with a "can" to interviewing with a "will" is the level you are employing a person at - "can"s have experience, whereas "will"s are entry level jobs.

I would also really appreciate it if you didn't include two extra lines with a signature - you already have your id next to each post, and these extra lines just add to the amount that needs to be scrolled through.

Just because a job is considered to be "High Powered" does not mean that it is not a "will you" job. Bernie Madoff held a high powered job because he was willing to cheat people. On the other hand I have seen surgeons reduced to the most humblest of positions by a plumber who was able to fix his toilet. "Can" you jobs have true portable value that garner greater respect and return over time.

In regards to the signature you want me to drop in all together?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 04:09:30 PM by Skyhigh »

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #168 on: December 06, 2014, 04:41:10 PM »
I guess one reason I am getting irritated by this thread is that OP appears to me to be moving the goal posts all the time. My initial assumption was that a job that pays $$$ is not "frivolous" according to OP, while a job that pays $ or even c is "frivolous" - and a course that does not guarantee $$$ for all its graduates is also "frivolous".

However, I am beginning to think that maybe my assumption is incorrect. First off there was the discussion about jobs that don't pay as well as you expect because they are down-graded during our career. Now there is the "can" and "will". Certainly most of the high paying jobs I can think of tend to assume that the people in them will work extra hours when necessary - they are being paid for responsibility, and when stuff ups happen, well, you just have to fix them, no matter how long it takes. Lawyers, accountants, doctors, IT professionals, engineers... and most trades, all have these constraints.

The "can" and "will" discussion is the latest thing causing me to think this. A surgeon is surely one of the non-frivolous jobs. But evidently a plumber is non-frivolous, while a surgeon is frivolous.

So what on earth are frivolous and non-frivolous jobs - please give me a definition.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #169 on: December 06, 2014, 05:28:12 PM »
Somehow I don't think anyone wants to share the skies with me - 64, massively nearsighted in one eye (decent depth perception anyway so I can drive) which might mean very bouncy landings.

It's not that my life has been bad because of this, I have been swimming and snorkeling and a bit of diving all my life, and the vision issues have no effect there.  Plus all the other activities I enjoy.

But seriously, you got to FLY for a living - just expressing my envy.  No-one was EVER going to pay me to fly!

RetiredAt63,

Vision requirements have relaxed considerably to become a pilot. Perhaps you should inquire regarding your vision just to see if you might qualify today? When I started fight training one needed to have 20/20 vision, be height and weight proportional, and under the age of 30 in order to get a job as a legacy airline pilot. In the late 1980's medical requirements relaxed and discrimination lawsuits opened the doors to a larger cross section of people. Now there are amputees who are airline pilots. You might be surprised at what they approve anymore.

Skyhigh

Skyhigh

• Bristles
« Reply #170 on: December 07, 2014, 12:12:29 PM »
I guess one reason I am getting irritated by this thread is that OP appears to me to be moving the goal posts all the time. My initial assumption was that a job that pays $$$ is not "frivolous" according to OP, while a job that pays $ or even c is "frivolous" - and a course that does not guarantee $$$ for all its graduates is also "frivolous".

However, I am beginning to think that maybe my assumption is incorrect. First off there was the discussion about jobs that don't pay as well as you expect because they are down-graded during our career. Now there is the "can" and "will". Certainly most of the high paying jobs I can think of tend to assume that the people in them will work extra hours when necessary - they are being paid for responsibility, and when stuff ups happen, well, you just have to fix them, no matter how long it takes. Lawyers, accountants, doctors, IT professionals, engineers... and most trades, all have these constraints.

The "can" and "will" discussion is the latest thing causing me to think this. A surgeon is surely one of the non-frivolous jobs. But evidently a plumber is non-frivolous, while a surgeon is frivolous.

So what on earth are frivolous and non-frivolous jobs - please give me a definition.

My point is this: If one desires to achieve FIRE then they need to assemble a situation for themselves that is most likely to achieve their financial goals.  The most primary of ones investments in life is their education and intended career path. To intentionally invest many years and a small fortune into an education or career path that does not offer the promise of an immediate financial return is contrary to FIRE.

Another aspect of a non-frivolous career is that you have Control:

Control means that you hold the ability to work where you desire,  your skills grow over time in value, and are portable. I have a friend who became highly specialized in an area of animal research. When the program shut down the only other place that did the same research was not hiring. Now this person who holds a doctorate works in a grocery store and no hope of being able to work in their profession again. Control is important because it permits one the ability to choose where they live and to have options. If you are a victim of the whims of your employer it is difficult to build a side business or much of a personal life. Financial self reliance needs stability and the control to choose where and how you live. A non-frivolous carer makes it much easier to get ahead in life. 

Can vs Will:

If you are being hired based upon your willingness to do what others will not then most likely the profession does not pay very well and you do not have any control over your live. Choose a "can" job where you are hired for your unique abilities.

In my business I see the financial income of a broad group of people. Often fairly common careers pay a lot while people who hold fancy degrees a shockingly low amount. In one day I received an application from a Physician who made considerably less than an urban sewer worker. Often we choose our careers from a "fun" perspective and it seems to me that those careers do not generally pay very well. High powered careers do not usually translate into a high powered life. Often high powered sacrifices are made to get that position. 

Ones career is the financial engine that powers most of the major concepts here. MMM and Mrs. MMM could not have achieved FIRE with self indulgent careers. The application of frugality is moot if there is no surplus of resources to conserve.  Earning a considerable salary is worthless if you have to spend most of it on housing yourself because the career demands you live in a certain area or move frequently.  Choose a profession based upon your abilities and the return on investment. Save the earth later once you are Financially Independent and Retried.

Skyhigh
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 12:15:54 PM by Skyhigh »

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #171 on: December 07, 2014, 12:50:43 PM »
So every career can be frivolous by your definition.

It is the way you personally work rather than what career you are in. No wonder I was confused!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 12:52:15 PM by deborah »

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #172 on: December 07, 2014, 12:56:24 PM »
So just out of interest what is that magic career path(s) which almost guaranteed financial success? What would be your advice for a moderately intelligent high schools graduate with no savings for further education?

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #173 on: December 08, 2014, 02:59:04 AM »
So just out of interest what is that magic career path(s) which almost guaranteed financial success? What would be your advice for a moderately intelligent high schools graduate with no savings for further education?
Dear Uncle Sam wants YOU!!! Yep join the armed forces at 18, get paid to train in a profession, serve 20 years, retire at 38 with a full pension and medical benefits for life. Magic career path :-)!

OK I see you're Swiss but this can be a career path for many people in the USA.

OP is American so I was asking that would he propose there. Here the cost of higher education is low so mathematics of what is or isn't worth doing is very different. Fees for attending ETH Zurich (best university here) is only ca 1,500 $/year. Plus living costs of course, but 3/4 of population lives within commuting distance of a decent university.

Skyhigh

• Bristles
« Reply #174 on: December 08, 2014, 07:56:42 AM »
Dear Uncle Sam wants YOU!!! Yep join the armed forces at 18, get paid to train in a profession, serve 20 years, retire at 38 with a full pension and medical benefits for life. Magic career path :-)!

OP is American so I was asking that would he propose there. Here the cost of higher education is low so mathematics of what is or isn't worth doing is very different. Fees for attending ETH Zurich (best university here) is only ca 1,500 $/year. Plus living costs of course, but 3/4 of population lives within commuting distance of a decent university.

OP is an American. College here is very expensive and becoming more so over time.

Work versus play ethic: for some reason we have developed a play at work ethic here in America that often leads to financial disaster.

In the simplest of terms. People who pursue impractical self indulgent majors in college like, anthropology, english, geology, exercise science, nutrition, aviation, music composition, hose race track management (all real majors) are not going to have an easy time achieving FIRE. Those careers are known to be low wage, highly competitive and often their career fields do not exists at all. Choose a major that is in demand such as accounting, engineering, or computer science. Business Administration is a very general degree that offers scant assurances however at least it has value that transcends its own subject matter. Everyone who is holds the goal of achieving FIRE can benefit from learning about business. If nothing more than to be able to understand a stock prospectus and to manage your personal finances.

Outside of that government jobs often offer great wages and benefits for little investment. Careers like; police, fire department, post office, utility departments, transportation.  The more general the career the better because it will offer more control. A plumber or electrician can get a job in most towns for a middle class wage but a primatologist can not. College anymore is a very expensive proposition. The opportunity cost is staggering. To start live so deeply in the hole for a non-producing fantasy career makes achieving FIRE very difficult to impossible. I know from personal experience.

One needs a surplus of income to be able to have something to save. Control over where and how one lives is imperative to achieving FIRE. Simple professions offer more financial value because they cost less to get educated for, offer more control, and provide skills and jobs that are portable.

Skyhigh
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 08:01:37 AM by Skyhigh »

SporeSpawn

« Reply #175 on: December 08, 2014, 09:23:51 AM »
More than what you go to school for or train for, I think the most frivolous thing people do in their careers is "learning for learning's sake." I've seen a lot of bio students do this, most of whom had to get second degrees after they realized that just because they liked science didn't mean they'd get anywhere in life.

The problem here seems to be that a lot of people go into their career training thinking "I want to learn Physics/Literary Criticism/History/Civil Engineering," when this is generally counterproductive to actually preparing for a career. That is what you think when you check out a library book. When you go into career training, your thoughts should be, "I want to become the Lead Foreman of the Barstow Construction Company in Birmingham" or "I want to become the Department Head of the Theology School" or "I want to become the Chef at Escape." Even just thinking "I want to be a nurse or an assistant or something" is too vague. You should have a solid idea. You should be able to say "I want to be a nurse and I want to work at the hospital on Fourth." Even that is better than nothing because at least when that changes, you still have a plan you can work off of rather than just a vague notion.

Thinking about your training as a direct path to a specific goal helps cut the crap and remind you of why you're there. Going to school to "do Engineering" is like paying the local librarian $48,000 a year to check out some books on bridges. It's pointless because you're leaving your whole life to chance just so you can spend 4 years learning formula you don't care about and drinking. Going to school to work for Ace & Liederman or the State of New Jersey is an actual plan.

mollyjade

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #176 on: December 08, 2014, 10:30:12 AM »
Obviously there are many different ways to value education, career, and disposable income. The RE part of FIRE is going to look different depending on the person (see any MM article on retirement police). Some would rather have less disposable income in RE and enjoy their working years more (and continue them beyond FIRE). Others would rather get to traditional RE as soon as possible. Neither is wrong.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #177 on: December 08, 2014, 10:43:39 AM »
Nor is it wrong to NOT want to retire early or at all.

iwasjustwondering

• Bristles
« Reply #178 on: December 08, 2014, 11:10:18 AM »
More than what you go to school for or train for, I think the most frivolous thing people do in their careers is "learning for learning's sake." I've seen a lot of bio students do this, most of whom had to get second degrees after they realized that just because they liked science didn't mean they'd get anywhere in life.

The problem here seems to be that a lot of people go into their career training thinking "I want to learn Physics/Literary Criticism/History/Civil Engineering," when this is generally counterproductive to actually preparing for a career. That is what you think when you check out a library book. When you go into career training, your thoughts should be, "I want to become the Lead Foreman of the Barstow Construction Company in Birmingham" or "I want to become the Department Head of the Theology School" or "I want to become the Chef at Escape." Even just thinking "I want to be a nurse or an assistant or something" is too vague. You should have a solid idea. You should be able to say "I want to be a nurse and I want to work at the hospital on Fourth." Even that is better than nothing because at least when that changes, you still have a plan you can work off of rather than just a vague notion.

Thinking about your training as a direct path to a specific goal helps cut the crap and remind you of why you're there. Going to school to "do Engineering" is like paying the local librarian $48,000 a year to check out some books on bridges. It's pointless because you're leaving your whole life to chance just so you can spend 4 years learning formula you don't care about and drinking. Going to school to work for Ace & Liederman or the State of New Jersey is an actual plan.

Poppycock.  One of the wisest things a young person can do is understand how little he or she understands.  You don't know what you don't know.  You have to learn engineering before you know exactly what career you want to pursue with that knowledge. 

I don't think that academics is "crap" to be "cut" in pursuit of money, either.  I could have studied anything I wanted.  I chose literature because I actually care about our human history, about the content of human thought.  I was pretty sure I'd be able to make a good living at it, and of course I was right.  Some people can learn how to make weapons, while others study history and learn how best to use (or avoid using) them.  It all works out.  There is more to human society than food and shelter. 

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #179 on: December 08, 2014, 11:23:02 AM »

OP is an American. College here is very expensive and becoming more so over time.

Work versus play ethic: for some reason we have developed a play at work ethic here in America that often leads to financial disaster.

In the simplest of terms. People who pursue impractical self indulgent majors in college like, anthropology, english, geology, exercise science, nutrition, aviation, music composition, hose race track management (all real majors) are not going to have an easy time achieving FIRE. Those careers are known to be low wage, highly competitive and often their career fields do not exists at all. Choose a major that is in demand such as accounting, engineering, or computer science. Business Administration is a very general degree that offers scant assurances however at least it has value that transcends its own subject matter. Everyone who is holds the goal of achieving FIRE can benefit from learning about business. If nothing more than to be able to understand a stock prospectus and to manage your personal finances.

Outside of that government jobs often offer great wages and benefits for little investment. Careers like; police, fire department, post office, utility departments, transportation.  The more general the career the better because it will offer more control. A plumber or electrician can get a job in most towns for a middle class wage but a primatologist can not. College anymore is a very expensive proposition. The opportunity cost is staggering. To start live so deeply in the hole for a non-producing fantasy career makes achieving FIRE very difficult to impossible. I know from personal experience.

One needs a surplus of income to be able to have something to save. Control over where and how one lives is imperative to achieving FIRE. Simple professions offer more financial value because they cost less to get educated for, offer more control, and provide skills and jobs that are portable.

Skyhigh

There's a couple of things we're not defining here.   What is FI, and what is RE?    Is FI 1,000,000, or is it less with the knowledge that you can have a small income from assets and a small income from a job you enjoy?    What is RE, is it 30 or maybe even 65 for some people?

Here's the other thing, if you go into a career where you have zero interest you will burn out and quit.    Or you'll become an alcoholic, an unhappy person, get a divorce and basically waste your life.    I haven't seen anyone on this board mention a job where they could work and train for less than a year and become financially independent.     Even the high paying fields are looking at around 10 years once you include education.    That's a very long time to be miserable.    Choosing a career based on money in order to get a good life will most likely yield neither one of those things.

I think a lot of people on this thread have given a better plan that  what you're proposing, which is working for a government agency or going for a high paying degree.     If you have an interest in those things, great.    Otherwise, it's probably a better bet to identify broad fields where you bring some skills and a genuine interest.   Then do whatever you can to research the heck out of those fields and try to find some people that are working in them currently.    Pick their brain.   

My wife was seriously considering dropping out of grad school because she was disillusioned with her career prospects in psychology.    Everyone was focused on assistant professorships with more poop eating and low pay after grad school.   She found out that there was a whole world of jobs that her assistant professor mentors scoffed at.    They didn't involve publishing or working for a university.   But they did involve data and program building, two things she was interested in.    She decided to leave the reservation and people in her class looked down on her for not pursuing the traditional route.    Now they get quiet when she tells them about owning a business, chairing international conferences and working on federal projects.   

You can make money in anthropology, history, language or any number of liberal arts majors.   You just have to hustle.    It's just not like engineering or computer science where a $70,000 job is waiting for you at graduation.     Actually, my wife's second in command has a PhD in Medical Anthropology.    I think her salary is pushing $90,000 right now.    It's not the $200,000 that a petroleum engineer makes, but it's plenty of money to FIRE if one chooses before their 40th birthday.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #180 on: December 08, 2014, 01:32:06 PM »
There's a couple of things we're not defining here.   What is FI, and what is RE?    Is FI 1,000,000, or is it less with the knowledge that you can have a small income from assets and a small income from a job you enjoy?    What is RE, is it 30 or maybe even 65 for some people?
There's a lot of things that OP seems to define differently to everyone else! FI and RE are defined as part of being in the MMM forum, but even their definitions are being twisted!

Here's the other thing, if you go into a career where you have zero interest you will burn out and quit.    Or you'll become an alcoholic, an unhappy person, get a divorce and basically waste your life.    I haven't seen anyone on this board mention a job where they could work and train for less than a year and become financially independent.     Even the high paying fields are looking at around 10 years once you include education.    That's a very long time to be miserable.    Choosing a career based on money in order to get a good life will most likely yield neither one of those things.

I think a lot of people on this thread have given a better plan that  what you're proposing, which is working for a government agency or going for a high paying degree.   
+1

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #181 on: December 08, 2014, 05:56:27 PM »
impractical self indulgent majors

geology

Those careers are known to be low wage, highly competitive and often their career fields do not exists at all.

Just want to throw this out there for your own benefit, in the case you were seriously interested in getting a geology degree.
http://www.bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/geoscientists.htm

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #182 on: December 08, 2014, 06:03:37 PM »
My first job was with a mining company, and the geologists seemed to have a fantastic life - traveling the world to remote locations, high pay, lots of time off because of the travel... They all were so interesting, and interested in their vocation (and it was a vocation). A cousin who is 20 years younger than me is also a geologist - and she is exactly the same. Would never have called geology a frivolous career.

Skyhigh

• Bristles
« Reply #183 on: December 08, 2014, 06:56:37 PM »
My first job was with a mining company, and the geologists seemed to have a fantastic life - traveling the world to remote locations, high pay, lots of time off because of the travel... They all were so interesting, and interested in their vocation (and it was a vocation). A cousin who is 20 years younger than me is also a geologist - and she is exactly the same. Would never have called geology a frivolous career.

Deborah,

I think you understand my point. Life is about choices. Live the fun traveling single life of a geologist, or retire early. If one loves their job then why retire at all? In order to retire early it takes elements that run contrary to what you described. I would consider it a frivolous self indulgent pursuit in terms of accomplishing financial independence and retiring early in the manner and timeline that MMM did. Retiring at 65 is not retiring early in life.

Skyhigh

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #184 on: December 08, 2014, 06:59:49 PM »
The geologists I have known were all married and were as likely as anyone else to retire early.

Skyhigh

• Bristles
« Reply #185 on: December 08, 2014, 07:40:01 PM »

Skyhigh

I think a lot of people on this thread have given a better plan that  what you're proposing, which is working for a government agency or going for a high paying degree.     If you have an interest in those things, great.    Otherwise, it's probably a better bet to identify broad fields where you bring some skills and a genuine interest.   Then do whatever you can to research the heck out of those fields and try to find some people that are working in them currently.    Pick their brain.   

My wife was seriously considering dropping out of grad school because she was disillusioned with her career prospects in psychology.    Everyone was focused on assistant professorships with more poop eating and low pay after grad school.   She found out that there was a whole world of jobs that her assistant professor mentors scoffed at.    They didn't involve publishing or working for a university.   But they did involve data and program building, two things she was interested in.    She decided to leave the reservation and people in her class looked down on her for not pursuing the traditional route.    Now they get quiet when she tells them about owning a business, chairing international conferences and working on federal projects.   

You can make money in anthropology, history, language or any number of liberal arts majors.   You just have to hustle.    It's just not like engineering or computer science where a $70,000 job is waiting for you at graduation.     Actually, my wife's second in command has a PhD in Medical Anthropology.    I think her salary is pushing $90,000 right now.    It's not the $200,000 that a petroleum engineer makes, but it's plenty of money to FIRE if one chooses before their 40th birthday.

greaper007,

You went into a career that you "loved" and burned out after three years. I think you are wrong about your attitude towards work and are ignoring some facts that you experienced in aviation. Most jobs are not fun at all. Kids do not grow up dreaming about becoming accountants. Most people approach work as a job not play.   

The old man says, Get a job that you love and you will never work a day in your life.  That concept has been taken as license to run off to the circus and blow off the realities of life and that is a false interpretation. It means to learn to love your work, whatever it is. Most real jobs pay well on average, are more common, offer you better access to a personal life and involve real inglorious or fun work. Over time those jobs can become fun. Your career is the platform to build your life upon.

If it costs 6 years of your life in college and $90,000 in student loans to earn $100,000/year then you are loosing money. Mailmen in my town with high school diplomas earn $72,000/year and get full ride retirements. The mailman will retire sooner.

In regards to RE I believe that it refers to retiring younger than 65. Retiring at 65 is just called retiring. Work to live. Don't live to work.

Skyhigh

Skyhigh

• Bristles
« Reply #186 on: December 08, 2014, 07:43:35 PM »
The geologists I have known were all married and were as likely as anyone else to retire early.

Deborah,

I am very glad for your friends. I have a friend right now who holds a masters in geology and cant get a job at the grocery store. I will tell him. I think even you can acknowledge that the majority of geology graduates are not able to even get their first job let alone retire as a geologist. It is a risky career path.

Skyhigh

Skyhigh

• Bristles
« Reply #187 on: December 08, 2014, 11:44:32 PM »

Deborah,

I am very glad for your friends. I have a friend right now who holds a masters in geology and cant get a job at the grocery store. I will tell him. I think even you can acknowledge that the majority of geology graduates are not able to even get their first job let alone retire as a geologist. It is a risky career path.

Skyhigh
Hmmm... gotta disagree with this. I just looked at several websites from Government to places like Chevon and Halliburton and there were tons of jobs for people with Geology degrees all over the world. I think you're friend just has to be willing to move to find a job in her/his field and be flexible. I worked in the Environmental Compliance field and I have seen many many geologist in that field as well as many other areas of work.

Right, that is my point. Move to a third world country and you can get a job. An important component of building FI is control over where and how one lives. In addition, to what end does it serve someone to get a 50K per year job that cost 6 years in college and a few hundred thousand when the post office pays more?

Skyhigh

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #188 on: December 09, 2014, 09:38:51 AM »
Right, that is my point. Move to a third world country and you can get a job. An important component of building FI is control over where and how one lives. In addition, to what end does it serve someone to get a 50K per year job that cost 6 years in college and a few hundred thousand when the post office pays more?
Skyhigh

Because presumably you would enjoy the 50K job in your field more than weighing packages or delivering letters. I'm not knocking postal workers - it's a valid career path - but I'm challenging your assumption that careers that require college degrees are somehow foolish just because they don't pay more than some jobs that don't require one. Also, can you get into the postal service these days without a degree?

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #189 on: December 09, 2014, 10:26:12 AM »
The Occupational Outlook Handbook predicts the job growth in the area of geoscience to be faster than average, particularly for those with a masters.  Geology is a practical field, where there are lots of good paying jobs (median salaries of $90K) that are not limited to academia.

Anecdata about a friend who can't find a job isn't reflective of the field as a whole.  There are any number of reasons why someone can't get a job that can be completely unrelated to the job market.  Maybe said friend gives a lousy interview or has references who say he's an ax murderer. Maybe he's just unlucky.

The job outlooks for many fields may be regional.  I have a niece who just got her BSN. She wanted to live in a certain part of California, but after six months and no job, moved back East and had two offers within two weeks.  That doesn't mean that nursing is a frivolous career.

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #190 on: December 09, 2014, 11:54:57 AM »
The Occupational Outlook Handbook predicts the job growth in the area of geoscience to be faster than average, particularly for those with a masters.  Geology is a practical field, where there are lots of good paying jobs (median salaries of $90K) that are not limited to academia.

Anecdata about a friend who can't find a job isn't reflective of the field as a whole.  There are any number of reasons why someone can't get a job that can be completely unrelated to the job market.  Maybe said friend gives a lousy interview or has references who say he's an ax murderer. Maybe he's just unlucky.

The job outlooks for many fields may be regional.  I have a niece who just got her BSN. She wanted to live in a certain part of California, but after six months and no job, moved back East and had two offers within two weeks.  That doesn't mean that nursing is a frivolous career.
This is quite true. My wife has a Masters in Geology and did a thesis that involved some pretty sophisticated geophysics. She went straight into a job at $50k a year. With a couple years experience she could easily move into a $80-90k job in the oil and gas industry if we were interested in relocating to Texas, or her spending long stretches away from home, but we are not.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #191 on: December 10, 2014, 06:52:29 AM »
If it costs 6 years of your life in college and $90,000 in student loans to earn $100,000/year then you are loosing money.

You're losing me. You have to look at the facts not just anecdotal data.

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/office-and-administrative-support/postal-service-workers.htm

$53k/yr salary, no college
15 year mark: 795k

$100k/yr salary, 6 years of college, 90k debt
15 year mark: 900k - 90k = 810k

??
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 06:55:51 AM by Cwadda »

Skyhigh

• Bristles
« Reply #192 on: December 10, 2014, 07:36:25 AM »

There is a pilot shortage as well.

Skyhigh

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #193 on: December 10, 2014, 08:30:03 AM »
The OOH shows negative growth for airline pilots and stresses stiff competition for jobs with major airlines.