Author Topic: Forget the slow cooker, give me a pressure cooker!  (Read 61750 times)

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
Re: Forget the slow cooker, give me a pressure cooker!
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2015, 10:39:21 AM »
Threw a couple of hard frozen venison shanks and a few soup bones in the pressure cooker this morning and ran it for an hour while I was getting ready for work.  Turned off the burner as I was walking out the door.  I figure there is enough heat left in it for a couple hours of simmering as well.  We'll see how it turned out when I get home...

Meat was perfect!  Just cooked enough to fall off the bone, but not mush.  Added some pumpkin puree, potatoes, carrots, onions, a few spices and brought it to pressure for 8 minutes.  Turned out great!

That's awesome - thanks for the report :)

jamminjimmy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2015, 10:45:48 AM »
yes- thanks for the report.

I bought a manual? Fagor pressure cooker about 6 months ago.  I do like it a lot--- but am kicking myself for not buying an electronic pressure cooker where you don't have to babysit it constantly...  I like where I heard it automatically kicks into "warming mode" and etc...  sounds handy.

works amazingly well--- rice quickly, beans quickly----  I once bought a huge pack of CHEAP beef "trimmings" and sliced into cubes for stews, etc... Perfect. No matter how bad the cut of meat, a pressure cooker will make it tender. 
Very, very useful kitchen tool.

looking into an electronic unit now...

Jimmy

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2015, 10:56:01 AM »
You can either slow cook or pressure cook in the IP.  The other day I started something as slow cooking when I had time to prep in the morning, then ran a short pressure cycle to finish it a little sooner so I could eat.

I've had a stovetop PC for a few years and thought electric PCs were for suckers, but I'm a total convert because I can just push a button and leave the kitchen/house, come back and it's done.

Is there a reason you would choose to slow cook in your IP instead of only pressure cooking? The stuff I keep reading keeps claiming pressure cooking has similar results to slow cooking and uses less electricity.

Yes, if I have time to prep in the morning and have hot food when I get home vs prepping after work and then waiting for the pressure cooker.  I also slightly prefer the way the flavors meld for stews or Pot roast with slow cooking.

That's my concern; how does a chicken breast in a pressure cooker compare to a chicken breast slow cooked for 8 hours?  I make some mean chicken tacos + pico de gallo and the juicy chicken breasts really tie things together.  Would a pressure cooker yield the same results?

I don't really care for chicken cooked that way, but I think it would be better in the pressure cooker because it doesn't need the time for tenderizing as much.  I was thinking more of things like chile verde, big pot roasts, short ribs etc. that need time to break down the connective tissues and let the flavors meld.  My friend does chicken in the IP on pressure and uses it for tacos and that sort of thing and really likes it, but then she's not much of a cook by her own admission, so she probably is not as picky as me.

It would be interesting to compare power usage, but my guess is that the savings is negligible.  In the summer heat output could be an issue, but either appliance could be operated outdoors or in the garage if you were so inclined.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2015, 07:30:32 AM »
For those who have bought used pressure cookers, how much did you pay?

Last weekend, I stumbled across a brand new Cuizen electric pressure cooker at a Salvation Army store for $25. My husband and I debated for a long time - but it was a nonstick pot that had some small gouges and scratches (even though it did look brand new as claimed). Plus a massive dent on the outside. I just didn't feel confident that the dent wouldn't affect the performance. So decided to pass.

I would love an InstantPot - but at a $100, I just don't know.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2015, 05:56:40 PM »
 A stovetop pressure canner that does 7 quart jars, new (that is old but unused) in the box at a yard sale for $25. It's a Presto brand.  I did replace the gasket, but that was under five dollars at the hardware store.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2015, 07:58:41 PM »
Any others want to chime in on the Instant Pot? I am contemplating buying one... it's sitting in my cart! Early birthday present to myself? :P

Digital Dogma

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2015, 08:19:04 AM »
Thank you everyone for the info, I've put the InstantPot electronic 6qt pressure cooker on my Xmass wish list this year and hope to put it to good use on the half of a pig I purchased off a friend which is sitting in my chest freezer. I'm going to begin gathering rough recipe ideas by going back over this thread and scouring the internet so I'm well prepared to put it to use by the end of the year!

I may be asking an ignorant question as I skimmed this thread and may have missed it if posted already but...

Can you put frozen food in these pressure cookers, or does it need to be thawed out first?

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2015, 08:52:16 AM »
You can cook frozen food in a PC, but expect the time to come up to pressure to take longer. Make sure you include at least 1 cup liquid so the food won't scorch. The pressure time remains the same.

Digital Dogma

• Bristles
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2015, 09:54:58 AM »
You can cook frozen food in a PC, but expect the time to come up to pressure to take longer. Make sure you include at least 1 cup liquid so the food won't scorch. The pressure time remains the same.
Awesome, can't wait to try out a new method of making raw meat more tasty! Thanks for the thorough response.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2015, 04:00:11 PM »
Ok, I bought one! Excited for the cooking possibilities :)

cborders

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2015, 02:17:36 PM »
I've cooked three meals with the instant Pot I recently bought. I'm really happy with the way the meals are turning out, the ease of use, the time savings, and the money I'm saving by not using my oven. It should pay for itself in a matter of weeks.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2015, 07:41:58 PM »
Updating this to say my first night was successful with the Instant Pot. Made a quick and easy pasta with a bunch of ingredients laying around:

- Linguine
- Trader Joe's garlic spaghetti sauce
- EVOO
- Fresh garlic (chopped)
- Leftover salami (chopped)
- Water

Used the saute function to cook the garlic and salami for a bit. This is where you are standing over the pot and stirring and watching. After about 5 minutes I added the sauce + water + pasta. Tip: you need enough liquid to cover the top of the pasta! I left the cooker on high pressure for approx 10-15 minutes (can't remember exactly - sorry!) and ended up with a tasty dish with leftovers for tomorrow.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2015, 08:37:08 PM »
Updating this to say my first night was successful with the Instant Pot. Made a quick and easy pasta with a bunch of ingredients laying around:

- Linguine
- EVOO
- Fresh garlic (chopped)
- Water

Used the saute function to cook the garlic and salami for a bit. This is where you are standing over the pot and stirring and watching. After about 5 minutes I added the sauce + water + pasta. Tip: you need enough liquid to cover the top of the pasta! I left the cooker on high pressure for approx 10-15 minutes (can't remember exactly - sorry!) and ended up with a tasty dish with leftovers for tomorrow.

Don't know if you used the same TJ sauce I use, but I really like it because it's pretty cheap (like $1.39 for 24 oz) and has all good ingredients: EVOO, tomatoes, garlic, salt... maybe some other "spices".  No sugar or other junk.

HAPPYINAZ

• Bristles
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2015, 07:48:38 AM »
I bought a pressure cooker this past year and absolutely love it!  Use it several times a week and it helps us eat healthier and save energy!

I bought Chef Ming's 6 qt pressure cooker and it's great!  You can sear things in it before pressure cooking.  You can also use it as a slow cooker if you want, but I really enjoy the speed of pressure cooking.  You can make fabulous stew or chili in 20 minutes, or cook whole chickens, or dry beans, or even vegetables.  It makes great collard greens in just a few minutes!  It seems to push the flavors into whatever you are cooking and makes it soooooo yummy!   It's so easy and safe!  I really love not having to boil water to cook things like yams or pumpkin or squash.  You can throw whole acorn squash or other types in there and they come out perfect.  I have made some amazing ribs in there too! 

here is the link to the one I bought. 

http://www.hsn.com/products/simply-ming-premiere-pressure-cooker-with-technolon/7862150?sz=5&sf=QC0023&ac=&cm_mmc=Shopping%20Engine-_-PLA-_-Kitchen%20and%20Food-_-7862156&mr:trackingCode=c8019dcf-816f-11e5-b7e1-005056946dac&mr:referralID=NA&channel=Froogle&gclid=Cj0KEQiAsNyxBRDBuKrMhsbt3vwBEiQAdRgPstTfs-kBp6HrhJoOuViu7kEU89fA68OQEBrGz9yQbgkaAj2I8P8HAQ

We used to love our slow cooker, but now I just don't see the point of wasting that much energy! 

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2015, 09:05:29 AM »
Loving all the reports. now just debating if the Instant Pot is worth it or if I should just go with one of the (numerous) other brands.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2015, 11:43:58 AM »

- Linguine
- EVOO
- Fresh garlic (chopped)
- Water

Don't know if you used the same TJ sauce I use, but I really like it because it's pretty cheap (like $1.39 for 24 oz) and has all good ingredients: EVOO, tomatoes, garlic, salt... maybe some other "spices".  No sugar or other junk.

I think so, if it is the roasted garlic one. I have used almost all the TJ's sauces, but the roasted garlic one is my favorite! :)

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2015, 12:03:23 PM »
Loving all the reports. now just debating if the Instant Pot is worth it or if I should just go with one of the (numerous) other brands.

The Instant Pot is much more multi-functional than other brands: rice cooker, slow cooker, sauté/simmer, steamer, popcorn popper, in addition to pressure cooker. It comes with a quality stainless steel inner pot instead of non-stick & has a compact footprint. The DUO model has an improved lid that can rest in a side slot allowing condensation to drain neatly into the rim & a removable condensation cup. Its handle & pressure valve have been improved as well. It has an easy to use yogurt program that allows me to save immensely over commercial yogurts & I control what goes in it. I've used both the DUO & LUX models, & the $30 difference between the two is quickly paid for with the DUO. I recommend the 6 quart size unless you are a household of 1, because pressure cookers can only be filled 2/3. There's also a new SMART model that runs by smartphone app in addition to the pot buttons, but this model is twice the DUO price & not worth it, IMHO.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2015, 02:06:19 PM »
So yesterday I steamed sweet potatoes under pressure in the Instant Pot to prep them for canning.  This morning I browned a pork roast on the saute function then added other ingredients and clicked it over to slow cook.  Looking forward to coming home to the smell of chile verde ready to eat when I finish up at the stable.  Next up it will be making us a nice beef stew.  Also recently saw a NomNom Paleo post on using it to cook spaghetti squash, which I'd previously been baking with mixed results.  InstantPot is well worth the money as long as it proves to be durable.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2015, 03:47:14 PM »
Happy to stumble across this thread and share the pressure cooker love.
We had been on the fence about buying a pressure cooker for a while, deciding on the model, electric vs stovetop, etc. Then we stumbled across the Cuisinart Electric Pressure Cooker on our local Craigslist for about $35 brand new. It has been great.

The only thing that had annoyed me was the stainless nom-stick lining which I knew wouldn't last forever and we've already managed to scratch slightly.
Based on the info on this thread, I might think about adding the stainless steel insert to our repertoire at some point.

Once we got down to using it, we were finding uses for it several times a week, or daily. It opened up new options, cut cooking time a lot, and added flavor.
I'm glad we got the electric one, because while I dislike special purpose appliances, it really is pretty easy to use (once I figured out the lid) and a lot less intimidating then a stove top pressure cooker for someone who has never used it.

Now that I know and love pressure cooking, I might add a smaller stove top pressure cooker to our arsenal if the right circumstances come up.

We've had slow cookers, but other then one or two uses, we don't find it fits that well with our lifestyle. Too much advanced planning required. We are more last minute people, and the amount of flavor you can get into a quick meal with a pressure cooker is great.

I'd say the only downside has been that it has been causing us to eat more meat, because it is so easy to find a cheap cut on sale, cook it and have a tasty meal with little effort.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 10:11:56 PM by CanuckExpat »

Kimchi Bleu

• Stubble
« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2015, 08:38:12 PM »
Used my Instant Pot twice today - I made steel cut oats and 15 bean soup.  I love it!  I also ordered The Great Big Pressure Cooker cook book from Bruce Weinstein.  Have made a few recipes from it and each one was a hit.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2015, 08:54:54 PM »

The Instant Pot is much more multi-functional than other brands: rice cooker, slow cooker, sauté/simmer, steamer, popcorn popper, in addition to pressure cooker. It comes with a quality stainless steel inner pot instead of non-stick & has a compact footprint. The DUO model has an improved lid that can rest in a side slot allowing condensation to drain neatly into the rim & a removable condensation cup. Its handle & pressure valve have been improved as well. It has an easy to use yogurt program that allows me to save immensely over commercial yogurts & I control what goes in it. I've used both the DUO & LUX models, & the $30 difference between the two is quickly paid for with the DUO. I recommend the 6 quart size unless you are a household of 1, because pressure cookers can only be filled 2/3. There's also a new SMART model that runs by smartphone app in addition to the pot buttons, but this model is twice the DUO price & not worth it, IMHO.

Wait - popcorn popper?

I did some price comparison today. The Instant Pot Duo is $138 after taxes. Compared to the Cuisinart from Costco for $69. It sounds really, really cool - but is it worth $70 more?

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2015, 07:46:30 AM »
Used it twice in the past two days.  Cooked dry pintos for chili.  Beans went from dry to fully cooked in 30 min or so.  Then turned around and filled it with soup bones from a pork shoulder and sweet potatoes for a savory soup in 20 min.  Constantly amazed that nothing burns to the bottom despite running the burner full blast to bring it up to pressure.

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2015, 05:24:20 PM »
Hey I recently got my 8-qt Presto pressure cooker, and today I finally had the courage to use it for the first time.  I'm really paranoid about hurting myself or blowing up my kitchen.  I've got a question, and if someone with a similar unit from Presto could answer it, I would be grateful :)  This is the one I have: http://www.amazon.com/Presto-01370-8-Quart-Stainless-Pressure/dp/B0000Z6JIW

After I secure the lid and start bringing it up to temperature, the little pressure-indcator thing pops and down with some steam around it being released.  Finally after a little while it stays up and no longer lets any steam come out from around it.

At this stage, according to the manual, I think there should soon be steam released from the "pressure regulator"...
As I understand it, the pressure regulator is the little turn-knob thing that you press over a tiny valve.  I have this in the "Pressure" position.
After a few minutes of leaving the pot on "high" (and after the pressure-indicator thing has popped up permanently), I never notice any steam coming out of the "pressure regulator".  (If I turn the "pressure regulator" knob thing to "release", I do see a lot of steam come out pretty fast.  I wore an oven-mitt while doing this :)

Maybe I'm not waiting long enough?  I've given it about 2 or 3 minutes on high... and started to become worried that a lot of excess pressure was perhaps building up... so I turned off the burner and let it sit to cool down.

Does it sound like something is wrong with my pressure cooker?  Or am I just not giving it enough time to build up enough pressure so that the steam starts coming out of the valve?

(edit: For what it's worth, what I had in the pressure cooker was:  about 6 pounds of pork shoulder cut up into large chunks, one cubed onion, about 3 or 4 cups of water, salt, and pepper.  It was all just barely below the 1/2 way-measuring-mark in the pot, so it wasn't overfilled.)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 05:26:52 PM by rantk81 »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2015, 07:23:44 PM »
Hey I recently got my 8-qt Presto pressure cooker, and today I finally had the courage to use it for the first time.  I'm really paranoid about hurting myself or blowing up my kitchen.  I've got a question, and if someone with a similar unit from Presto could answer it, I would be grateful :)  This is the one I have: http://www.amazon.com/Presto-01370-8-Quart-Stainless-Pressure/dp/B0000Z6JIW

After I secure the lid and start bringing it up to temperature, the little pressure-indcator thing pops and down with some steam around it being released.  Finally after a little while it stays up and no longer lets any steam come out from around it.

At this stage, according to the manual, I think there should soon be steam released from the "pressure regulator"...
As I understand it, the pressure regulator is the little turn-knob thing that you press over a tiny valve.  I have this in the "Pressure" position.
After a few minutes of leaving the pot on "high" (and after the pressure-indicator thing has popped up permanently), I never notice any steam coming out of the "pressure regulator".  (If I turn the "pressure regulator" knob thing to "release", I do see a lot of steam come out pretty fast.  I wore an oven-mitt while doing this :)

Maybe I'm not waiting long enough?  I've given it about 2 or 3 minutes on high... and started to become worried that a lot of excess pressure was perhaps building up... so I turned off the burner and let it sit to cool down.

Does it sound like something is wrong with my pressure cooker?  Or am I just not giving it enough time to build up enough pressure so that the steam starts coming out of the valve?

(edit: For what it's worth, what I had in the pressure cooker was:  about 6 pounds of pork shoulder cut up into large chunks, one cubed onion, about 3 or 4 cups of water, salt, and pepper.  It was all just barely below the 1/2 way-measuring-mark in the pot, so it wasn't overfilled.)

I don't think anything is supposed to come out of the pressure regulator unless you are above the max temperature.  In other words, I think it's supposed to be a safety outlet.  At least that's how it works in mine ("2nd gen" vs "1st gen" pressure cooker).  I think old 1st gen cookers would constantly emit steam, but doubt they make those anymore

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #74 on: November 06, 2015, 06:29:46 PM »
I don't think anything is supposed to come out of the pressure regulator unless you are above the max temperature.  In other words, I think it's supposed to be a safety outlet.  At least that's how it works in mine ("2nd gen" vs "1st gen" pressure cooker).  I think old 1st gen cookers would constantly emit steam, but doubt they make those anymore

I figured it out.  I just wasn't patient enough and was getting worried too soon.  I kept it at higher heat longer, and after a while, I heard a hiss and saw some steam coming out regulator.  I turned the burner down to "2" on my stove, and it continued at a steady pace.  Works great now!

RNwastash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2015, 08:24:09 PM »
Guys, I just bought the instant pot.  I got it on Friday, now it is Monday night.  Since then I made mashed potatoes, brown rice, veggie soup, mashed sweet potato, and vegetarian thai curry with potato, carrots, eggplant, and tofu.  I cannot believe how fast and easy cooking is now with this awesome machine.  If you are even on the fence, hop off and buy the darn thing.  I bought mine, the 6 quart, from Wayfair for $117.  Free shipping and no tax.  So happy...

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2015, 09:25:12 PM »
Guys, I just bought the instant pot.  I got it on Friday, now it is Monday night.  Since then I made mashed potatoes, brown rice, veggie soup, mashed sweet potato, and vegetarian thai curry with potato, carrots, eggplant, and tofu.  I cannot believe how fast and easy cooking is now with this awesome machine.  If you are even on the fence, hop off and buy the darn thing.  I bought mine, the 6 quart, from Wayfair for $117.  Free shipping and no tax.  So happy...

Are you a vegetarian? I'm glad you like the cooker but imo it's sort of wasted on vegetables (which don't typically hold up under pressure or don't benefit from it).  The most beneficial vegetarian dish would be legumes I guess (don't need to soak anymore)

Quinny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2015, 09:53:28 PM »
Another vote for an Instant Pot!

We're mainly vegetarian and do tons of chilis and other bean dishes. Steel cut oatmeal in minutes for breakfast. Had my lentil sloppy joes in the slow cooker function utilizing lentils that had been precooked using the pressure cooker function. LOVE the sauté function so I don't have to get another pot dirty. Haven't used the yogurt function yet...I think that I don't want to admit that my Cuisinart yogurt maker was a colossal waste of money...

For what it's worth, I got my IP on Craigslist. $50, barely used.

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #78 on: November 10, 2015, 11:18:39 AM »
I'm glad you like the cooker but imo it's sort of wasted on vegetables (which don't typically hold up under pressure or don't benefit from it).  The most beneficial vegetarian dish would be legumes I guess (don't need to soak anymore)

Artichokes do really well in the pressure cooker, especially the large ones.

jooles

• Stubble
« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2015, 01:10:37 PM »
We just moved into a real dump of a house that we are going to rehab.  I now have no stove and no dishwasher.  I bought an InstantPot a couple of weeks ago and WOW I'm in love!  I am having such fun.  It is a bit of a learning curve.  If you get one follow the manufacturer's encouragement and read the entire booklet that comes with the pressure cooker.  I didn't.  I should have.  Thankfully I didn't ruin it and I did eventually read as directed. 

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2015, 03:34:22 PM »

Are you a vegetarian? I'm glad you like the cooker but imo it's sort of wasted on vegetables (which don't typically hold up under pressure or don't benefit from it).  The most beneficial vegetarian dish would be legumes I guess (don't need to soak anymore)

I'm going to disagree: We've had great results with the pressure cooker and vegetables. As simple as sauteing in fat and and cooking under pressure for a short amount of time. Not only does it reduce the cooking time, we've found the flavors to be better pressure cooking then conventional method.

We're using an electric pressure cooker, so admittedly lower pressure then a stove-top model. Also with veggies, we never go above the recommended cooking time provided by the manufacturer, and sometimes go less.

As for the better flavor (assuming you don't over cook), my understanding is that under high heat and pressure, you get new effects happening, including the maillard reaction which you wouldn't for normal water based methods, and that can increase the flavor of veggies and other things.

The important thing about the Maillard reaction isn’t the color—, it’s the flavors and aromas. Indeed, it should be called “the flavor reaction,” not the “browning reaction.” The molecules it produces provide the potent aromas responsible for the characteristic smells of roasting, baking, and frying.
The Maillard reaction, or its absence, distinguishes the flavors of boiled, poached, or steamed foods from the flavors of the same foods that have been grilled, roasted, or otherwise cooked at temperatures high enough to dehydrate the surface rapidly —in other words, at temperatures above the boiling point of water. These two factors, dryness and temperature, are the key controls for the rate of the Maillard reaction.

Temperatures need to be high to bring about the Maillard reaction, but as long as the food is very wet, its temperature won’t climb above the boiling point of water. At atmospheric pressure, only high-heat cooking techniques can dry out the food enough to raise the temperature sufficiently. It’s not the water that stops the reaction, but rather the low boiling point at normal, sea-level pressure. In the sealed environment of a pressure cooker, the Maillard reaction can,— and does—, occur. This is something we exploit when making soups, like in our Caramelized Carrot Soup, or purees, like the broccoli puree in our Brassicas recipe. Adding baking soda to the pressure cooker raises the food’s pH (making it more alkaline), which also helps.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2015, 11:07:08 PM »

I'm going to disagree: We've had great results with the pressure cooker and vegetables. As simple as sauteing in fat and and cooking under pressure for a short amount of time. Not only does it reduce the cooking time, we've found the flavors to be better pressure cooking then conventional method.

By the time I saute my vegetables in fat, they are done.  Maybe you guys have some fancy type vegetables that are really tough.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #82 on: November 12, 2015, 08:35:42 AM »

As for the better flavor (assuming you don't over cook), my understanding is that under high heat and pressure, you get new effects happening, including the maillard reaction which you wouldn't for normal water based methods, and that can increase the flavor of veggies and other things.

The important thing about the Maillard reaction isn’t the color—, it’s the flavors and aromas. Indeed, it should be called “the flavor reaction,” not the “browning reaction.” The molecules it produces provide the potent aromas responsible for the characteristic smells of roasting, baking, and frying.
The Maillard reaction, or its absence, distinguishes the flavors of boiled, poached, or steamed foods from the flavors of the same foods that have been grilled, roasted, or otherwise cooked at temperatures high enough to dehydrate the surface rapidly —in other words, at temperatures above the boiling point of water. These two factors, dryness and temperature, are the key controls for the rate of the Maillard reaction.

Temperatures need to be high to bring about the Maillard reaction, but as long as the food is very wet, its temperature won’t climb above the boiling point of water. At atmospheric pressure, only high-heat cooking techniques can dry out the food enough to raise the temperature sufficiently. It’s not the water that stops the reaction, but rather the low boiling point at normal, sea-level pressure. In the sealed environment of a pressure cooker, the Maillard reaction can,— and does—, occur. This is something we exploit when making soups, like in our Caramelized Carrot Soup, or purees, like the broccoli puree in our Brassicas recipe. Adding baking soda to the pressure cooker raises the food’s pH (making it more alkaline), which also helps.

Very interesting!  I knew the pressure cooked foods seemed more savory than usual!

About how much baking soda do you add?

palebluedot

• Stubble
« Reply #83 on: November 27, 2015, 01:12:31 PM »
For anyone that was waiting for price drop, the Instant Pot on sale on Amazon for $78.50 for 12 more hours.

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00FLYWNYQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=N1TC52IHEYXU&coliid=I1BT2PJ6NA52PR

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #84 on: November 27, 2015, 03:17:30 PM »
Guys, I just read this thread and I am STILL on the fence. Amazon is having an incredible sale on it (as was just pointed out) and I am so tempted. But.

A couple things
-This feels like a gadget. I hate gadgets. Ex- I resisted a garlic press for years. I finally got one, and enjoyed not having to mince garlic manually. But it broke after 2 months. So now I am back to mincing, but now I know I COULD have a garlic press. It has made me a consumer sucka
-Isn't this kind of a "muscle over motor" type situation?
-Is the liner heavy? I have an awful time washing my crock liner because my arms get exhausted

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #85 on: November 27, 2015, 03:39:38 PM »
Guys, I just read this thread and I am STILL on the fence. Amazon is having an incredible sale on it (as was just pointed out) and I am so tempted. But.

A couple things
-This feels like a gadget. I hate gadgets. Ex- I resisted a garlic press for years. I finally got one, and enjoyed not having to mince garlic manually. But it broke after 2 months. So now I am back to mincing, but now I know I COULD have a garlic press. It has made me a consumer sucka
-Is the liner heavy? I have an awful time washing my crock liner because my arms get exhausted

You can mince your garlic without a garlic press, but you can't pressure cook your food without a pressure cooker.  At $78.50, you can probably sell the Instant Pot back on ebay if you later decide pressure cooking is not for you.  I use mine 3-4 times a week.

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #86 on: November 27, 2015, 04:04:25 PM »
The inner pot is quality stainless steel, substantial but not heavy like a ceramic slow cooker liner pot. It can be used on a gas or electric stove top to keep food warm; I have an extra inner pot to then make rice or steam vegetables to serve with a meal. (It does not work on induction unless you have a plate for non-compatible pans, but I have not tried this.)

The Instant Pot is the most versatile small appliance I know of; it can replace a slow cooker, rice cooker, & popcorn popper in addition to being a quality pressure cooker, extra pot to sauté in or keep food warm, make porridge, or incubate yogurt.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #87 on: November 27, 2015, 04:14:19 PM »

A couple things

You can mince your garlic without a garlic press, but you can't pressure cook your food without a pressure cooker.  At $78.50, you can probably sell the Instant Pot back on ebay if you later decide pressure cooking is not for you.  I use mine 3-4 times a week.

Most persuasive argument yet... I love being able to undo "mistakes"!

I'm leaning toward yes so far. Our current rental is... well, the stove is crooked, the burner coils only make contact on one side, and generally it's just annoying to cook on. To think... I could purchase my own flat surface for cooking =P

SenoritaStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #88 on: November 27, 2015, 04:26:37 PM »
+1 on the Instant pot.  I recently purchased mine after this thread.  I have only used it once, but I am beyond excited for all the possibilities.  I'm I allowed to say I LOVE it yet, since I have only used it once??!?  Definitely worth the money ($100+) and this price of $78.50, WOW!  I say go for it, if you don't like it, you can sell it on Craigslist, or even in the Mustachian Marketplace.  (I LOVE MY INSTANT POT).. :P

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #89 on: November 27, 2015, 05:39:03 PM »
NOOOOOOOOOOO.

I had just decided, okay, let's do it! And I go to Amazon. DEAL SOLD OUT.

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

nvmama

• Stubble
« Reply #90 on: November 27, 2015, 06:00:35 PM »
NOOOOOOOOOOO.

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I just did the same thing.....now I'm waiting for another sale.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #91 on: November 27, 2015, 06:05:49 PM »
NOOOOOOOOOOO.

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I only saw a time counter, nothing about % sold like some of the other deals. That makes me mad. I thought I had time!

nvmama

• Stubble
« Reply #92 on: November 27, 2015, 06:15:07 PM »
NOOOOOOOOOOO.

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I only saw a time counter, nothing about % sold like some of the other deals. That makes me mad. I thought I had time!

I just checked at Walmart, because I heard the instant pot was part of their cyber Monday deals, and they are on sale now for 78.50.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #93 on: November 27, 2015, 08:54:53 PM »
NOOOOOOOOOOO.

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Feeling better I pulled the trigger early, and it should be here Tuesday.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #94 on: November 27, 2015, 09:08:46 PM »
NOOOOOOOOOOO.

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I just checked at Walmart, because I heard the instant pot was part of their cyber Monday deals, and they are on sale now for 78.50.

After much debating and wringing of hands, I did the Walmart deal. I'll only get 1% instead of my nice 3% amazon back, but I think I'll live. Let's hope this is good for my daily life, but also doesn't obliterate my regular cooking skills!

Ricky

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #95 on: November 27, 2015, 09:28:45 PM »
NOOOOOOOOOOO.

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

After much debating and wringing of hands, I did the Walmart deal. I'll only get 1% instead of my nice 3% amazon back, but I think I'll live. Let's hope this is good for my daily life, but also doesn't obliterate my regular cooking skills!

I don't see how you can go wrong...you're still saving a shitload by not eating out.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #96 on: November 28, 2015, 07:26:16 AM »
NOOOOOOOOOOO.

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I don't see how you can go wrong...you're still saving a shitload by not eating out.

But I already don't go out to eat. Having or not having the InstantPot won't change that.

Ricky

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #97 on: November 28, 2015, 07:28:12 AM »
But I already don't go out to eat. Having or not having the InstantPot won't change that.

Ha...I'd still use that as my justification...since you're already doing better than 95% of America. But, you could also argue that you're going to be spending less time cooking and have more time for productive things. Boom. $80 paid for in a few months.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #98 on: November 28, 2015, 07:31:22 AM »

Ha...I'd still use that as my justification...since you're already doing better than 95% of America. But, you could also argue that you're going to be spending less time cooking and have more time for productive things.

Well, that's my hope. As it stands now, it goes like this:
We cook all meals at home (both of us primarily at home most days). I cook most of the time, but if I've spent a bunch of time cooking and cleaning that day, DH wants to help. Admirable, but he works full time and is doing a full time masters. So my hope is this will make it easier for ME to cook, so that I don't get whiny and DH doesn't feel bad and want to take a shift, so it takes a household task of his plate (so to speak).

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #99 on: November 28, 2015, 07:35:13 AM »
I grabbed that Amazon one, should be here in a few days.  Anyone have a favorite site for pressure cooker recipes?