Author Topic: For Those Retired and Under 45 - What Have The Last 3 Days Been Like?  (Read 12129 times)

NYCMiniBee133

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I have read so many great ideas on here about how to achieve early retirement- I'd love to know how that has unfolded for those who have achieved it, particularly the detail of what you've done in the last three days blow by blow as I find the vague "in general there is no average day" accounts not very helpful. Thank you for your thoughts!

Letj

• Bristles
Re: For Those Retired and Under 45 - What Have The Last 3 Days Been Like?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 09:05:35 AM »
Doing whatever you want and living life on your own terms.  Isn't that the whole idea of early retirement?

stlbrah

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 02:57:02 PM »
Curious about this as well. There is research that shows that early retirement people are more likely to get dementia.

My goal is just to be self employed and not work as much

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 03:30:41 PM »
Curious about this as well. There is research that shows that early retirement people are more likely to get dementia.
Or maybe people who are beginning to get dementia retire early.

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 08:57:24 PM »
I'm 34 and a SAHD, does that count?

I built sides for a utiltiy trailer today, then I loaded it up with mulch for a landscaping project.   That was fun and sucky.   I love building things, I hate landscaping (but enjoy the results).

Birthday parties and mandatory visits with family yesterday.

Friday we got up, drank coffee, watched cartoons and went to the pool.

Only a week left of summer, it goes too quick.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 08:59:30 PM »
I'm 53 years old now, but when I was 45 our daughter was only 14 years old.  Most of the change in my life since that age has been caused by becoming an empty nester.

But back then a Thursday-Friday-Saturday would involve:
one or two mornings of surfing,
another morning working out (bodyweight exercise),
a taekwondo workout,
an hour or two each day of maintenance or repairs around the house,
an hour each day of writing,
30-60 minutes each day of napping,
probably one day with an hour or two of errands (usually on a weekday, almost never on a weekend),
maybe a 45-minute spouse walk one evening,
lots of reading of the Internet and books, and
chatting with my spouse.

Maybe there'd be a lunch with a friend or a group in there... usually 3-4 times per month.  These days there might also be a phone call or Skype interview with someone about the blog or whatever writing project I'm working on.

Of course eight years ago at least an hour of each of those days would've involved teen drama and/or angst, and my daughter and I would've surfed together on Saturday morning.  These days, frankly I'd be willing to let a little drama & angst back into my life if it meant we could do more surfing together.

I'm afraid that you're gonna have to back that up with a link to peer-reviewed research published in a professional society journal.

Most of the "research" on the unhealthy effects of ER has been generated by people who became unhealthy at work and immediately retired to salvage what they could of their lives. 

Personally, I bet being retired and finding out that you're heading into dementia is still better than working.  But I could be biased... or just suffering from mild cognitive impairment...

Spartana

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 03:57:30 PM »
I retired at age 42 (but now over 45 by a "few" years having been retired over 10 year now). The last 3 days I have: come back from long trip (biking, hiking, trails running). Then, when at home, I usually wake everyday at around 6 am for a run on the trails near my house (5 to 8 miles) then biked down to the beach (2 miles) and along the bike path (8 miles) to the place I play beach volleyball at for a couple of hours then I ride home, ate huge amounts of food, watched the boob tube, read MMM, do some work around the house, do other chores, nap, eat some more, walk the dog, eat some more, visit people, do some volunteer work, eat some more, go to the gym to do a class or lift weights, and then play indoor volleyball in the evenings. Rinse and repeat for the other 2 days :-! Actually getting Alzheimer's is sounding kind of relaxing about now :-)! I do mix things up a lot but still mostly focus on sports and recreational activities coupled with budget travel. I figure once I'm old and (maybe) can't do as much I'll have time and energy for more intellectual pursuits. 
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 04:02:07 PM by Spartana »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 04:54:00 PM »
Hey Nords, I'm glad you had the balls to answer this. You know, being like, over 45 and all. I was afraid I was going to be the only "oldster" to respond. In the last three days, I've taken at least one nap per day. Because I'm "old" or because I can? I'm not telling. The last three days have been like every day since I retired. Awesome, simply fucking awesome, no matter what I'm doing.

DragonSlayer

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 05:19:29 PM »
I had to finally come out of lurkdom to respond to this!

I'm 42 now, but I retired at 33. Most weekdays follow a fairly predictable routine: Get up and eat breakfast while doing an initial email check/catch up on current events/pay any bills that are due and manage the finances. Then I have my "puttering hour" where I do any cleaning/chores that need doing inside the house. Then it's workout time. Sometimes that's a walk outside, sometimes it's yoga or rehab exercises (thanks to an old injury, I have to keep up with those or risk it flaring up). Then it's lunchtime.

After lunch, I do some work. Although I retired and no longer work for "the man," I still do some freelance writing and graphic design to keep my brain active and keep my skills/contacts up to date. Plus, I really enjoy it. I'm also working on a couple of novels and possible non-fiction books. It never feels like work.

Then it's errand time if I have to run to the library or store, for example. I also try to schedule anything like Dr.'s appointments for this time. If no errands, I tend to keep working.

By then it's time to cook dinner and after dinner it's either reading, watching a movie, or playing a boardgame with hubby. In good weather, there may be a walk around the neighborhood, too.

Weekends are different. That's when outdoor maintenance gets done, and when we work on anything big like home improvement projects, car repairs, etc. It's also when we go to visit family (they live nearby) or hang out with friends. If the weather's bad, it's more games, movies, or reading.

Pretty much I do what I want, but over the years it's settled into a routine that works for me and sort of helps to keep me "on schedule" so that the temptation to just waste time isn't there.

I doubt I'm in danger of dementia. Too many challenges with my writing and design work, reading, and learning to do all kinds of new things all the time. I make sure I don't settle into doing nothing with my retirement.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 06:18:33 PM »
I sort if count myself as retired (don't know that I will necessarily ever work full time or even close) but OTOH, I have small kids at home, so my daily activities are highly skewed by that. 

Sun:  worked on re finishing deck with H all day, had family game night with kids after dinner.

Mon:  morning, had roofer come by to give us an opinion, went to HD and Lowes to return all extra supplies from deck project.  Afternoon:  cleaned house, did laundry, baked bread, worked in vegetable garden.  Evening:  made dinner, ate, put kids to bed, read book.

Tuesday:  morning:  took son to speech therapy, then equine therapy, grocery shopped.  Afternoon:  worked in vegetable garden, took daughter to school open house, worked at farmers market (I work 3 hours a week for 8$ an hour plus lots of free veggies).  Evening:  went to son's open house, cleaned up kitchen, processed veggies from farmers market (chopped, froze, etc).

The kids start school tomorrow so things will be looking different then. 

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 07:46:31 PM »
Or maybe people who are beginning to get dementia retire early.

Or maybe those that study people that retire early are still stuck in the grind and are jealous of the early retired people, so they assume they must be crazy.

One of my favorite quotes:
“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Perhaps the ER types are dancing to a different tune...

jpdcpajd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 09:55:49 PM »
On the Dementia issue,

My father retired 21 yrs ago at 59 (which many at the time many thought was too early) when I was 18. He broke his hip last year and passed away earlier this year from a combination of dementia and never recovering from the Hip.

My thoughts at first were that I have clients that worked in to their 70s and 80s and seem to do quite well and I thought if only dad kept working, reading and engaged with what I would now call to high information diet he might still be with us.

Then as my mom and my siblings were looking back I came to realize something, because of his FI during high school, my parents and I spend most of every weekend, summers and some planned hooky trips on my part biking and traveling. After I graduated (the youngest of 6) and my dad retired my dad and mom had almost 20 yrs of time together, free of any dementia, travelling to hawaii, colorado,  visiting grandkids, spending time together, that who knows how much time they would have had if he kept working. Over those years, they were never apart for more than a few days and those times numbered in single digits. 

So yes, he might have lived longer had he kept working but he certainly would have not lived a fuller life without those years.

Edit: I will add that my Dad retired at 59 because he did not have the Roth in his tool box, otherwise he would have been the first to jump on it.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 10:07:13 PM by jpdcpajd »

NYCMiniBee133

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 09:59:10 PM »
These are so helpful. And yes, anyone who is roughly in the 45 age group give or take 5 or so years it's great to hear from you! I just picked that age because I figured that would mirror my activity level well, no other reason besides that. Judging from the responses so far, I feel like I should stop complaining about my wimpy 25 min workouts at the gym 2 times a week.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2014, 10:08:00 PM »
On the Dementia issue,

My father retired 21 yrs ago at 59 (which many at the time many thought was too early) when I was 18. He broke his hip last year and passed away earlier this year from a combination of dementia and never recovering from the Hip.

My thoughts at first were that I have clients that worked in to their 70s and 80s and seem to do quite well and I thought if only dad kept working, reading and engaged with what I would now call to high information diet he might still be with us.

Then as my mom and my siblings were looking back I came to realize something, because of his FI during high school, my parents and I spend most of every weekend, summers and some planned hooky trips on my part biking and traveling. After I graduated (the youngest of 6) and my dad retired my dad and mom had almost 20 yrs of time together, free of any dementia, travelling to hawaii, colorado,  visiting grandkids, spending time together, that who knows how much time they would have had if he kept working. Over those years, they were never apart for more than a few days and those times numbered in single digits. 

So yes, he might have lived longer had he kept working but he certainly would have not lived a fuller life without those years.

Great response jpdcpajd! My dad is almost 84 and is heading down the dementia path. He's happy and affable though, so we are optimistic for his outcome. He retired at 50 and has outlived every male in his family by a mile. My mom and he had a really nice life in retirement, so yeah, he got good value out of his 34 years post-career. LOL, I'm the oldest of six, FWIW.

NYCMiniBee133

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 10:21:46 PM »

I'm 42 now, but I retired at 33. Most weekdays follow a fairly predictable routine: Get up and eat breakfast while doing an initial email check/catch up on current events/pay any bills that are due and manage the finances. Then I have my "puttering hour" where I do any cleaning/chores that need doing inside the house. Then it's workout time. Sometimes that's a walk outside, sometimes it's yoga or rehab exercises (thanks to an old injury, I have to keep up with those or risk it flaring up). Then it's lunchtime.

After lunch, I do some work. Although I retired and no longer work for "the man," I still do some freelance writing and graphic design to keep my brain active and keep my skills/contacts up to date. Plus, I really enjoy it. I'm also working on a couple of novels and possible non-fiction books. It never feels like work.

Then it's errand time if I have to run to the library or store, for example. I also try to schedule anything like Dr.'s appointments for this time. If no errands, I tend to keep working.

By then it's time to cook dinner and after dinner it's either reading, watching a movie, or playing a boardgame with hubby. In good weather, there may be a walk around the neighborhood, too.

Weekends are different. That's when outdoor maintenance gets done, and when we work on anything big like home improvement projects, car repairs, etc. It's also when we go to visit family (they live nearby) or hang out with friends. If the weather's bad, it's more games, movies, or reading.

Pretty much I do what I want, but over the years it's settled into a routine that works for me and sort of helps to keep me "on schedule" so that the temptation to just waste time isn't there.

I doubt I'm in danger of dementia. Too many challenges with my writing and design work, reading, and learning to do all kinds of new things all the time. I make sure I don't settle into doing nothing with my retirement.

This is pretty much EXACTLY what I dream of for an ideal retirement. I love writing and Amazon KDP platform has been fantastic to work with for fun work. If you add in two quirky dogs, I think I'd be set. So good to know that someone out there is making it happen.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2014, 11:00:59 PM »
Hey Nords, I'm glad you had the balls to answer this. You know, being like, over 45 and all. I was afraid I was going to be the only "oldster" to respond.
As my spouse says, my life is almost half over...

One of the reasons I nap is because I do not sleep well.  Six hours is a great night.  I can sleep for 7-8 hours if I absolutely trash my body with a workout or project, but I pay the price with two more days of sore joints & muscles.  I'd rather nap.

TheFrugalFox

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2014, 11:13:34 PM »
Although I can only answer this truthfully in 2 weeks (retiring at the end of the month at 40) - I spotted an article in the newspaper that was looking for volunteers to help in an animal shelter's shop. This will be perfect for me as I really want to help animals, but cannot work with abused animals. I have a massive list of things to do, so will start on 1 morning/afternoon a week - as I have owned shops and good at DIY/shop fitting hopefully I can be of use.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2014, 04:32:08 AM »
I've been retired for nearly 3 years now and I have a pretty set routine although 4 kids home from school right now mixes it up a bit. But the last 3 days. Monday i was useless as I was out of town at a Soccer tournament with the kids and its amazing how they play but I get tired. Tuesday I pretty much get up at 5, read a few hours/surf the net. Run errands and putz around the house. Lunch/nap. Then what ever and ran the kids to practice etc. Wednesday pretty much the same and went to my kids HS soccer game. Like Nord I too dont sleep the best on and off so will usually take a nap around 2pm.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2014, 06:29:15 AM »
I only have 15 workdays left until I'm FIRE'd at 42... I'll be happy to share impressions of my new life in this thread. Stay tuned.

I find the idea of early retirees as more likely to develop dementia to be quite ludicrous.

DragonSlayer

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2014, 07:36:30 AM »

This is pretty much EXACTLY what I dream of for an ideal retirement. I love writing and Amazon KDP platform has been fantastic to work with for fun work. If you add in two quirky dogs, I think I'd be set. So good to know that someone out there is making it happen.

Well, I have one quirky dog! I'd have more, but realistically, this house is only big enough for us plus one. Get another dog and we might have to sleep on the porch.

Spartana

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2014, 02:15:56 PM »
These are so helpful. And yes, anyone who is roughly in the 45 age group give or take 5 or so years it's great to hear from you! I just picked that age because I figured that would mirror my activity level well, no other reason besides that. Judging from the responses so far, I feel like I should stop complaining about my wimpy 25 min workouts at the gym 2 times a week.
Well working, and all the stuff that come with it like commutes and overtime and politics and...well other nasty things, are more exhausting then being a non-working person. You'll find that you'll have extra energy (and yes, more drive but towards other things) and a hard days, or multi-days workout is much easier to do then when working a full time job. Not only do you have the time to devote more to workouts (or fun fitness stuff like hiking and biking) but you have the time to relax afterwards (and yes, nap!). I'm much fitter, healthier, and have more energy than I was 10 plus years ago when I was working (and I had a very physically active job) and I blame it all on FIRE! Now if Alzheimers doesn't get me I'll be just fine :-)!

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2014, 03:04:53 PM »
I retired at age 42 (but now over 45 by a "few" years having been retired over 10 year now). The last 3 days I have: come back from long trip (biking, hiking, trails running). Then, when at home, I usually wake everyday at around 6 am for a run on the trails near my house (5 to 8 miles) then biked down to the beach (2 miles) and along the bike path (8 miles) to the place I play beach volleyball at for a couple of hours then I ride home, ate huge amounts of food, watched the boob tube, read MMM, do some work around the house, do other chores, nap, eat some more, walk the dog, eat some more, visit people, do some volunteer work, eat some more, go to the gym to do a class or lift weights, and then play indoor volleyball in the evenings. Rinse and repeat for the other 2 days :-! Actually getting Alzheimer's is sounding kind of relaxing about now :-)! I do mix things up a lot but still mostly focus on sports and recreational activities coupled with budget travel. I figure once I'm old and (maybe) can't do as much I'll have time and energy for more intellectual pursuits.

Are you accepting applications for an apprentice?

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2014, 05:12:25 PM »

this basically describes my dream life, too. someday! someday SOON!

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2014, 05:24:55 PM »

Haven't you heard? Spartana is the Goddess of FIRE. She's at a whole-different-level.

Seriously though, that's a lot of eating...and other stuff. But the eating part. You should be posting on the food and cooking threads. What kind of food does a non-stop athlete consume?

Also, may I please request that you just - stop it! Your seriously wonderful life (your FIREsomeness) is putting a damper on my work productivity as I sit in my cubicle and read this stuff and daydream. You are a dangerous woman.

I'm just kidding. I love reading it! It's so inspiring. I'm so close to FIRE, that the more I read this stuff, the faster I want FIRE to come. It's like an exponential curve. There's something weird about that. As I approach FIRE, my BS meter and wish to be more active just start overpowering a lot of my thoughts.

Spartana

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2014, 07:53:16 PM »

Can you cook :-)?

Spartana

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2014, 08:05:58 PM »

Haven't you heard? Spartana is the Goddess of FIRE. She's at a whole-different-level.

Seriously though, that's a lot of eating...and other stuff. But the eating part. You should be posting on the food and cooking threads. What kind of food does a non-stop athlete consume?

Also, may I please request that you just - stop it! Your seriously wonderful life (your FIREsomeness) is putting a damper on my work productivity as I sit in my cubicle and read this stuff and daydream. You are a dangerous woman.

I'm just kidding. I love reading it! It's so inspiring. I'm so close to FIRE, that the more I read this stuff, the faster I want FIRE to come. It's like an exponential curve. There's something weird about that. As I approach FIRE, my BS meter and wish to be more active just start overpowering a lot of my thoughts.
Ha Ha! Yeah that is a lot of eating (she says with a mouth full of ice cream :-)!). I once met a woman at a marathon who said she only runs so she can eat as much as she want, and the more she runs, the more she can eat. I've embraced that philosophy ever since.
  And seriously, it's not non stop. it's more a little here and a little there but when you are ER'd there is just so much more free time to do that kind of stuff then there was before - as well as to recuperate (and nap and eat) so it seems like a lot when it really isn't.  I actually have a lot of downtime to do nothing if I want. I really have no hobbies other then the ones I mentioned, and rarely go online except to this site and maybe another one, don't really read much or watch much TV or movies, done play games, don't do crafts, don't do a lot of socializing besides during my sports activities, currently BF-less (geeze I'm a boring person!) so lots of doing nothing time to nap, eat and just chill with the dog at home.

Edited to add:  While it probably seems like I am doing a lot it is pretty much the same level I was always trying to squeeze in while I worked full time. Gym, runs, indoor volleyball games until midnight or later most nights (you Newport Beach 15th street gym players in the OC know what I'm talking about :-)!), tournaments on weekends, etc... all the other stuff place "life" and a marriage (which ended in divorce due to my volleyball obsession and schedule). It was crazy. I quit work long before hearing about MMM or FIRE or anything so I could do that kind of stuff full time and not be so exhausted always. Now it all seems so relaxed and easy and...well...fun.  Seems like I have so much free time now compared to when I was working. Very nice. 
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 09:33:16 PM by Spartana »

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2014, 09:53:42 PM »
My cycling club did a poll before a big event once asking if people ride-to-eat or eat-to-ride. I think the results were about even. I thought it was going to come out lobsided on the ride-to-eat side, but I guess I have a tendency to think everyone else thinks like me, so I was wrong.

Although there is something to be said for the eat-to-ride part in that eating healthily will improve your athletic performance.

I think the ride-to-eaters were more about exercising in order to eat decadently more than healthily.

Spartana

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2014, 10:18:37 PM »
My cycling club did a poll before a big event once asking if people ride-to-eat or eat-to-ride. I think the results were about even. I thought it was going to come out lobsided on the ride-to-eat side, but I guess I have a tendency to think everyone else thinks like me, so I was wrong.

Although there is something to be said for the eat-to-ride part in that eating healthily will improve your athletic performance.

I think the ride-to-eaters were more about exercising in order to eat decadently more than healthily.
Fortunately I do eat healthily (with the exception of ice cream that is) and am pretty much a raw whole foods vegan, or cooked stuff is rice and beans, tofu, fruits and veggies, etc... But I DO eat a lot and I love food. Oink Oink says this little piggy  :-)!

cchrissyy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2014, 10:54:54 PM »
My kids are off school and we are not currently traveling, so the last few days just look like people hanging around the house.  Reading, video games, a doctor's appointment, a trip to costco for glasses, long walks, a swim at the YMCA, friends coming and going.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2014, 06:55:56 AM »

I am more than proficient in the exquisite art of Maguro Nigiri, Hotate Nigiri, Futomaki, Matsubagani, Temarizushi and Sasamaki.

(not really-just can use the Google  :-(   )

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2014, 05:30:39 AM »
I'm like MayDay, except I homeschool, so the kids are always around. The days are great, and just like ER you can really make of it what you want.

I plan my weeks around the weather, to be honest. Great weather all week? Well, we will take rides and go to the park at will. One really hot day? We will go to our favorite swimming area (which is a drive since the city pools are closed already).

Tues: park, laundry, I baked zucchini and banana breads. After dinner I biked 20 miles round trip to get the week's groceries.

Wed: set up stuff for garage sale, planted some straggler seedlings. Rejoiced at weather FINALLY being hot enough to ripen tomatoes. Maybe. I saw one orange fruit on cherry tomato plants that have had a full set of green fruit for well over a month.

Thurs: was stuck at home for a lot of the day doing a garage sale (and again today) but it was a total bust. Rained nearly all day, so we did a lot of reading. Cleared up after dinner so I squeezed in a bike ride to the nearest store that takes plastic bags for recycling.

Spartana

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2014, 09:24:47 PM »

I am more than proficient in the exquisite art of Maguro Nigiri, Hotate Nigiri, Futomaki, Matsubagani, Temarizushi and Sasamaki.

(not really-just can use the Google  :-(   )
YUM!!!! Is it "cooking" if it's raw fish :-)!