Author Topic: FIRE with health issues  (Read 2367 times)

earthshine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
FIRE with health issues
« on: August 08, 2015, 08:46:00 AM »
hello fellow mustachians,
I am 37 yrs old and have been working for 15 plus yrs, for a great company. I had always hoped to retire early, and am close to $1 million net worth. Unfortunately, I began having health issues earlier this year, and am currently on medical leave.

This has me rethinking my plan to retire... I have always had employer sponsored insurance, or coverage through my parents. I am glad obamacare is an option currently if I do retire early, most health insurance where I live does not cover some of the alternative health care I like to use, in hopes of recovering fully.

Am also concerned about how long obamacare will continue to be available.

I would be grateful for any input someone can provide. I am not good at tracking expenses in a spreadsheet, and will try to look at it this way, but am wondering how to account for unpredictable medical cost?

Retired To Win

• Handlebar Stache
  • making the most of my time and my money
    • Retired To Win
Re: FIRE with health issues
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 06:39:12 PM »
... I am not good at tracking expenses in a spreadsheet, and will try to look at it this way, but am wondering how to account for unpredictable medical cost?

The first thing I would establish is what portion of those medical costs would be covered by my present insurance, and what portion I would have to fund myself.  What is the present coverage?  That I would think is the starting point to answer your question.

Good luck.

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
Re: FIRE with health issues
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 09:07:13 PM »
I'm likely going to take a new job next week. Pretty badass perks, what I can remember off the top of my head:

Shuttle busses to/from work with wifi, commute counts as working hours
Free beverages
All regular preventative healthcare 100% covered, low copay or deductible for bigger stuff
Discounted company stock
Bonuses/stock bonuses for performance
Super bike friendly office with showers, storage, etc.
Very flexible hours, work from home when you want, office enough to be seen.
$800/yr for health related stuff, including gym membership, bike parts, rock climbing gear, whatever loosely qualifies
Paid for training, tradeshows and so on, pretty big budget for that
Employer matches charitable giving
A 'magic card' that gets you discounts at a lot of things around town.

Have a few friends that work there, one of the better places in the area. I'm sure PNW folks can figure out who I'm talking about, ;)