Author Topic: FIRE in a Sprinter Van  (Read 73614 times)

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
Re: FIRE in a Sprinter Van
« Reply #100 on: August 03, 2016, 11:23:31 PM »
Bang on! Just got to Oregon. Maybe 6 more weeks of hiking, then taking the van... somewhere? Maybe Seattle? Got some art things to make, pretty location-independent

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: August 03, 2016, 11:25:44 PM »
I like it a lot, but if I were starting over a bit more space would be nice. It's possible to have guests, but not very practical

Wekeeprollingdowntheroad

• Bristles
« Reply #102 on: August 04, 2016, 05:14:07 AM »
My DH and I are FIRE and we full-time in an RV (a small class A). Right now we're in Imperial Dam LTVA on the CA/AZ border, boondocking in comfort due to our solar panels.

To all the doubters, let me tell you, go to any LTVA during the winter months in this area and you will see people full-time (or snowbird) in ALL KINDS OF SETUPS!! It's fabulous and inspiring to see. One of the best things about being out here is taking walks and "spying on the neighbors" as I like to call it, i.e. checking out everyone's setup. There are tiny truck campers, class B's, class C's, class A's, tiny trailers, toy haulers, huge fifth wheels, bus conversions (from short school bus to giant touring bus), even tenters.

We do a lot of boondocking, and at other times we travel more conventionally by staying in RV parks and state/county/city/national parks. It's kind of fun to do things differently when boondocking, and after a while conserving water like crazy becomes second nature. Let me tell you, if everyone in the country used as little water as DH and I (and this includes showers and dishes and all the normal things), we wouldn't have water water shortages anywhere.

It's the mindset, just like in anything else. Live in a truck camper because you need to and you resent it? You won't have a good time. Live in a truck camper because you are FIRE and want to see the continent? Awesome.

OP, if you have the desire, just do it. You know best what you can tolerate. Those Sprinter vans tend to have good resale value if you decide in a few years that you want something different. The only non-negotiable I would say is you should have at least one good solar panel on the roof. It makes life so much easier, and quieter because you hardly ever need to run the generator.

Good words- we have been cruising through rv parks/campgrounds etc as we prepare to move into an rv and enjoy looking at all the dfferent styles as well. Also enjoy how friendly people are and willing to chat about stuff. We've met many interesting folks already and we arent even in the rv yet :)
We are looking at solar as well, we don't need anything crazy, but like to sleep with a fan on at night and occasionally charge a phone or computer.

Wekeeprollingdowntheroad

• Bristles
« Reply #103 on: August 04, 2016, 06:14:03 AM »
These photos are great! Are you still happy living with this set-up?

AFAIK (and he can correct later, if I'm off on a detail, but I believe the jist of this is correct), Russ lived in the van for several months in the fall, spent Dec - March in London (and thereabouts, Germany, Istanbul, etc.) with the van parked at his parents' house in the midwest, then flew back to the states, had a few more weeks in the van, then parked it again and started hiking the Pacific Crest trail (from CA/Mexico border near San Diego up north towards the US/Canada border of Washington).

I think he's been hiking for 3ish months now?  And still doing that.  Probably back to the van after the hike, I'm assuming.

Any chance of getting a forum category for van dwelling or otherwise nomadic folk? Seems there are a few of us here and many more that are interested? :)

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: August 04, 2016, 06:20:40 AM »
These photos are great! Are you still happy living with this set-up?

AFAIK (and he can correct later, if I'm off on a detail, but I believe the jist of this is correct), Russ lived in the van for several months in the fall, spent Dec - March in London (and thereabouts, Germany, Istanbul, etc.) with the van parked at his parents' house in the midwest, then flew back to the states, had a few more weeks in the van, then parked it again and started hiking the Pacific Crest trail (from CA/Mexico border near San Diego up north towards the US/Canada border of Washington).

I think he's been hiking for 3ish months now?  And still doing that.  Probably back to the van after the hike, I'm assuming.

Any chance of getting a forum category for van dwelling or otherwise nomadic folk? Seems there are a few of us here and many more that are interested? :)
I think an overall 'travel' category would be better.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #105 on: August 04, 2016, 06:51:48 AM »

Probably not, sorry.  :)

Three main reasons.

We get a LOT of requests for a lot of different forums (some semi-recent ones: politics, recipes, entrepreneur, travel, CC churning, business, blogs, individual country based, e.g. Australia, UK, etc.).  We already have 24 subforums, and the more you add, the more fragmented discussion gets, and the more overwhelming the forums get.

Additionally, already people have trouble deciding what category to put things in.  If we have a van subforum, but someone's asking about a van, does it go in the van sub, or ask a mustachian?  If they're posting about their van, do they post in the van sub, or start a journal?  What if they're FIRE'd, can it go in post-FIRE?

Finally, "Van dwelling" is probably too niche, considering we've had maybe a dozen or so threads on it over the life of the forum (out of over 50,000 total topics started).

It's definitely something I'm interested in, as well, but the threads we have will have to suffice (and feel free to start new ones, if they aren't covering a topic related to it that you're looking for!).  That could change if there was a lot of interest (tax was a new forum started semi-recently (June 2015), but that's the status for now.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Wekeeprollingdowntheroad

• Bristles
« Reply #106 on: August 04, 2016, 06:54:08 AM »

Three main reasons.

We get a LOT of requests for a lot of different forums (some semi-recent ones: politics, recipes, entrepreneur, travel, CC churning, business, blogs, individual country based, e.g. Australia, UK, etc.).  We already have 24 subforums, and the more you add, the more fragmented discussion gets, and the more overwhelming the forums get.

Additionally, already people have trouble deciding what category to put things in.  If we have a van subforum, but someone's asking about a van, does it go in the van sub, or ask a mustachian?  If they're posting about their van, do they post in the van sub, or start a journal?  What if they're FIRE'd, can it go in post-FIRE?

Finally, "Van dwelling" is probably too niche, considering we've had maybe a dozen or so threads on it over the life of the forum (out of over 50,000 total topics started).

It's definitely something I'm interested in, as well, but the threads we have will have to suffice (and feel free to start new ones, if they aren't covering a topic related to it that you're looking for!).  That could change if there was a lot of interest (tax was a new forum started semi-recently (June 2015), but that's the status for now.  :)

I see what you mean!  I got confused just reading that 😄

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #107 on: August 04, 2016, 01:07:14 PM »

Thanks. I agree. While it might be nice, there are too many subforums as is.
Also glad to finally have a chance to contribute and follow this thread. Thanks for reviving it :)

mathlete

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: August 04, 2016, 01:45:26 PM »
I checked out the website NomadlyInLove.com and read up a bit on the couple there. Real hippy-dippy which is both cool, and to be expected.

I clicked on the "giving" section though expecting it to be a list of causes they've picked up a long the way that they recommend their readers give to.

But...

The idea is pretty simple. I share my bounty in life, and life shares back. There’s no need to keep track tit-for-tat; the law of reciprocity takes care of that. Of course, that doesn’t mean good vibes provide complete sustenance. The fact is we need money to survive.

ROFL

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #109 on: August 04, 2016, 03:06:06 PM »
I checked out the website NomadlyInLove.com

Funny to see them again--I read their blog for YEARS back when it was SprinterLife.  Holy * Soleil has gotten big.

I stopped following (for a number of reasons) when they moved out of the Sprinter and moved into an RV and started that new site (which I had forgotten the name of, didn't even recognize).  Fun to "see" them again. Thanks for the link.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #110 on: December 10, 2016, 08:28:27 AM »
Hello folks. An update for me: I've bought a cargo van and converted it to a sort of simple RV. I've lived in it since March 2016. I quit my job in July 2016 and have been 'traveling' full time since.

Wow! That's awesome.

I just took a quick glance at the blog, but so far you seem like my twin, but with a y chromosome. Looking forward to reading more. :)

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #111 on: December 10, 2016, 08:29:46 AM »
what are the dimensions on that bed?

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #112 on: December 10, 2016, 08:47:38 AM »
Hello folks. An update for me: I've bought a cargo van and converted it to a sort of simple RV. I've lived in it since March 2016. I quit my job in July 2016 and have been 'traveling' full time since.

Love the blog!

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #113 on: December 12, 2016, 08:18:39 AM »

I posted this in a journal, but I figured it belongs here as well. Not my photo, but it's a solid reminder of why I want to save/invest so I can kick open the door top my van or unzip my tent and see stuff like this. :)

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #114 on: December 12, 2016, 09:27:37 AM »
I'm going to put that picture up in my cubicle for inspiration.

C40

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #115 on: December 12, 2016, 07:21:25 PM »
what are the dimensions on that bed?

34.5" x 73" x 5"

Love the blog!

Thank you :-D

Wow! That's awesome.

I just took a quick glance at the blog, but so far you seem like my twin, but with a y chromosome. Looking forward to reading more. :)

Thanks. Heh, cool. I looked at the list of things in your Journal that you want to do after quitting. Sounds awesome!

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #116 on: December 12, 2016, 08:07:07 PM »
dang I need a wider van. I'd love to have my bed at the end like that

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #117 on: December 24, 2016, 10:18:54 AM »
dang I need a wider van. I'd love to have my bed at the end like that

That looks like a standard full-size van. My big Dodge is about that wide.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #118 on: December 24, 2016, 11:13:06 AM »
Since you folks are keen on van life I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a lower cost RV van that you could buy done up that was somewhere between the basic amenities of a DIY van and full on luxury RV? I'm not handy so building out a bare van is daunting and I do want some minimal amenities. It seems logical that between DIY and $100K+ luxury RVs there was a buy new option for a basic rugged travel van. That said so far I have not found it.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #119 on: December 24, 2016, 11:18:52 AM »
Anyone have suggestions for phone/internet usage/access while traveling around the country/continent?

Right now, I just have a dumb phone with zero data, but as my retirement date nears and my travel increases (mostly in my truck/camper), I am thinking about finally getting a smart phone with data and would like to have some access to the internet when out and about.  Mind you, I'm not saying that I need to be connected at all times...but it would be nice to be able to access info about weather, etc. while traveling.

Thanks in advance.

GuitarBrian

• Bristles
« Reply #120 on: December 25, 2016, 11:05:25 AM »
I use T-Mobile and their unlimited LTE w/7gb hotspot. This has been replaced by a 14gb plan for $45 a month. Works great in any places with population. In rural areas there is no best national carrier, it depends on what works in that local.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #121 on: December 25, 2016, 11:33:21 AM »
Thanks, Brian.  $45/month sounds quite reasonable.

GuitarBrian

• Bristles
« Reply #122 on: December 25, 2016, 06:14:40 PM »
We have 7 lines, so to be clear, $45 a month is for data service only. Voice is $10.  I am not sure what a single line would cost all in.

I do know that the 7gb plan is costing me $30. $45 is for the 14gb plan. There is also a way to tether without using your tether data. So if you run out, you can go over... But I try to stay under the deprioritization around 27gb a month. This includes on phone data.

I also use an iPad, with an old unlimited plan for $29.99 all in a month. This doesn't seem to get throttled or capped. I have run 50gb+ at times. But, finding a plan is SUPER expensive. So I don't recommend it unless you happen to have one (from 2010).

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #123 on: December 25, 2016, 06:25:21 PM »
OK--thanks for the clarification.  I will do some investigating.

MakingSenseofCents

• Bristles
    • Making Sense of Cents
« Reply #124 on: December 26, 2016, 12:44:27 PM »

Here's my van:

Here's the inside:

Short post about my van

My blog, mostly travel reports so far (which I'm catching up on) Lots of pictures.

Your pictures are amazing! We travel full-time in an RV (we sold our house in 2015) and it's the best decision we've ever made!

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #125 on: December 26, 2016, 02:11:41 PM »
Wow. I'm the OP from this thread that was referenced. It's been two years since I posted this. I've purged a ton, getting ready to sell big house. Kids still five years from college, but we're transitioning. No van yet, but still on the way.

I was inspired originally by my friends who had a Sprinter and traveled 4-6 months out of the year. They've since sold their Sprinter and had a custom made vehicle made that probably can survive the apocalypse. They live full-time in it. You can check it out at twoifoverland.com.

Mother Fussbudget

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #126 on: December 29, 2016, 02:32:48 PM »
Unrelated, perhaps... but after reading this thread this morning, I happened upon this story in the Atlantic about how RV sales are a bellwether/indicator of the coming economic year.
https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2016/12/rv-indicator/511787/?google_editors_picks=true

VoteCthulu

• Bristles
« Reply #127 on: December 31, 2016, 02:24:22 PM »
Quote from: APowers
How often can you crash at friends before it becomes imposing? -- I've asked this question before, and there doesn't seem to be a firm answer.
In my opinoon, even one night is imposing. The real question is how much good will does your host have and how fast are you using it up.

As others said, doing chores etc. could make them want you to stay forever, but even then you're disrupting their life and someone (spouce, child, neighbor) is likely going to run out of patients eventually. It might be a week or it might be a year, but it's definitely not worth ruining relationships because you missed the signs someone is getting irritated with you.

As a rule of thumb I'd plan for a max of 2 weeks, but that's based on the people I know. Some friends I wouldn't want to impose more than one night with.

Bart1ma3u5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #128 on: March 14, 2017, 09:05:26 AM »
There are so many great ideas and inspiring plans in this thread! There are also alot of helpful links and great information! I am hoping to get a van in the next year or two and outfit it to travel across the country. My fiancee and I are hoping it will give us the opportunity to see alot of places in the country we have not been to after we get married.

Unfortunately we won't be near FIRE at the time, however our current plan is to outfit the van, quit our jobs and use it to spend several months travelling across the country visiting family, friends and the outdoors. We have no definite plans so far, where we will go but alot of places we would love to go. It will depend how the first few months go, but most likely after a few months we would need to get new jobs (but in an area of the country we would rather be PNW compared to east coast). If we like living in the van we could continue doing that, or find somewhere to rent at that time.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #129 on: March 14, 2017, 09:08:35 AM »
There are so many great ideas and inspiring plans in this thread! There are also alot of helpful links and great information! I am hoping to get a van in the next year or two and outfit it to travel across the country. My fiancee and I are hoping it will give us the opportunity to see alot of places in the country we have not been to after we get married.

Unfortunately we won't be near FIRE at the time, however our current plan is to outfit the van, quit our jobs and use it to spend several months travelling across the country visiting family, friends and the outdoors. We have no definite plans so far, where we will go but alot of places we would love to go. It will depend how the first few months go, but most likely after a few months we would need to get new jobs (but in an area of the country we would rather be PNW compared to east coast). If we like living in the van we could continue doing that, or find somewhere to rent at that time.

Sounds like a great plan. Van life can be very low cost. If I was able to hit the road in a van [GF needs to keep working] I would have been FIRE last year vs. being FIRE in a couple more years.

Bikeguy

• Stubble
« Reply #130 on: March 31, 2017, 10:44:02 AM »
Since you folks are keen on van life I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a lower cost RV van that you could buy done up that was somewhere between the basic amenities of a DIY van and full on luxury RV? I'm not handy so building out a bare van is daunting and I do want some minimal amenities. It seems logical that between DIY and $100K+ luxury RVs there was a buy new option for a basic rugged travel van. That said so far I have not found it.

The difference I have with most mustachians is I have no problem dropping money on something, as long as i know I'll get most of it back when i want to sell.

In this category are used RVs.  You will need to buy from an individual, so use something like searchtempest.com.  If you really want a deal, find someone that will buy for you at a dealer only auction like Manheim.

In the $15-25K range is a Rialta.  Cult following for these.

In the over $40k range are your used Sprinter conversions.

And, because these are small, they get decent fuel economy.

I've used the buy at a great deal philosophy for multiple motorcycles and a boat.  Depreciation on any of them was in the hundreds of dollars a year.  You better be patient and only buy when you have a great deal on a pretty clean vehicle though. 

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #131 on: March 31, 2017, 02:36:33 PM »
In the $15-25K range is a Rialta.  Cult following for these.

I've seen a few Rialta's on the road now. Very interesting size. Like a slightly longer mini van maybe, and seems like with all the RV amenities. Not sure if a very tall person could stand up in one or not. Would have to go inside to see.
What age range would you be looking at to pay around $20k? I can imagine them going for more, but I've never seen one for sale used!

Bikeguy

• Stubble
« Reply #132 on: March 31, 2017, 04:40:40 PM »
What age range would you be looking at to pay around $20k? I can imagine them going for more, but I've never seen one for sale used!

I think Rialta's were manufactured between 1996 and 2005.  So, they are all over 10 years old.

Here's a site with a bunch listed.

https://www.rvtrader.com/New-and-Used-Winnebago-Rialta-RVs-for-Sale----RVTrader.com/search-results?make=Winnebago%7C2307464&model=Rialta%7C764852747&sort=featured%3Aasc&layoutView=listView&radius=150&

Bikeguy

• Stubble
« Reply #133 on: March 31, 2017, 05:08:26 PM »
And here is a great video tour of a Rialta that a family of four has lived in for over a year.

Man, I love the efficiency!

https://rialtacoffeetour.wordpress.com/2013/04/29/one-year-video-tour-of-rialta/

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #134 on: April 01, 2017, 06:17:38 AM »
For those looking for information:

BOOKS:

Vanabode - Jason Odom -- (it is 100% a how-to book, and it has a VERY MMM/ERE slant)

The VanDweller's Guide - Romana Starfield (similar to the Vanabode book, with some more technical details on setting up a solar system and plumbing, but not as good overall)

Any Road will take you there - David Berner (haven't read it yet)

How to Live in a Car, Van, or.... - Robert Wells (Haven't read it yet)

Turning a cargo van into a road trip adventure vehicle - Roger Steen (haven't read it yet)

Wide-Eyed Wanderers - Richard Ligato (Ego from the forum) - This is a travel book, not much how-to

Drive Nacho Drive - Brad Van Orden - another travel book mainly

Walden on Wheels - Ken Ilgunas - Not much about how-to, more of a biography of his life up to van-living

BLOGS - the ones I read the most:
http://63mph.com/   
http://www.tosimplify.net/ 
http://www.arestlesstransplant.com/ 
http://wheresmyofficenow.com/

BLOGS - others from my feed. Many I haven't read yet:

http://campervanculture.com/
http://www.drivenachodrive.com/
http://www.gonewiththewynns.com/
http://mobilecodgers.blogspot.com/
http://ouropenroad.com/
http://www.frugal-rv-travel.com/rv-blog.html
http://wheretheheartisusa.blogspot.com/
http://gypseajourneys.blogspot.com/
http://happynomadgirl.org/
http://johnnyvagabond.com/
http://www.ruinedadventures.com/
http://www.stealthvandweller.com/
http://tortugaplata.com/
http://www.vantramps.com/
http://www.wanderwith.me/

YOUTUBE CHANNELS - ones I watch the most:
https://www.youtube.com/user/WheresMyOfficeNow
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq4g9QUsCrCgPgG_fKEiHrQ
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHV7BvFPyD5Lixoo8yMRiLA

YOUTUBE CHANNELS - Others:
https://www.youtube.com/user/kelseyjoyy
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiyiTqpss-ihtLHz-juFxIQ
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwc-4z3oQd7SNM2r_WFzrSQ
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1RNJS2MMyN1DkQNZAdMKRQ    (Conversion videos)
https://www.youtube.com/user/werkbook/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/RubberTrampsReviews/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/westfaliawanderings/videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVgr4nckG_V0f0QM-byzI5Q/videos

I love/hate you right now lol!

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #135 on: April 02, 2017, 08:20:17 PM »
I'm not looking to live in a Sprinter, but I'm thinking of getting one to do some travelling in.
My reason for wanting a Sprinter (type) even though I'm single is to carry a small motorcycle - inside where it's out of sight and can be locked.
Someone told me it's illegal to have anything with a gas tank in a vehicle. But I know there are RVs called 'toy haulers' that do it... Can anyone shed some light on this?

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #136 on: September 27, 2017, 12:12:46 PM »
Dh and I are thinking about starting a project like this before RE. Not a full time live in, but multi week adventure!

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #137 on: October 22, 2017, 02:19:39 PM »
Dh and I are thinking about starting a project like this before RE. Not a full time live in, but multi week adventure!
you might check out some of the journals here (C-40s is great and there are others). Gives you a good idea of the ups and downs, costs, challenges etc... I've done this in.a small truck with a shell solo with my dog and recently rented a van for a couple of months to try it out as a potential full time thing.  While it is much better than the truck (more room, no having to go outside with the bears and serial killers to get from cab to rear, etc...) I've had some issues I didnt really think about if doing it full time (although most were probably due to travelling alone and with a dog). So now I know I don't want to do it full time right now, but I think its a great way to go. Trying it out before making a big investment or cut all home ties (sell house, etc..) might be good if you've never done it before.

My own challenges in a month have been dog hurt and needs to be completely contained, carried or pushed in trailer everywhere.  Couldn't take her many places but couldnt leave her alone too long. Dog's meds give her vomiting and  bad diarrhea while camping  in remote areas. Me getting food poisoning and basicly being like dog and having to care for her and I while camping in remote areas. 100 plus heat wave while camping. Snow storm while camping. Otherwise was great but solo with dog presented some challenges. Socializing might present some challenges. C-40s blog has some discussions about dating while full time van dwelling so worth reading for singles or solo travelers. As a woman there are some added worries about safety (is that nice guy you just met with the older van with the full size freezer in his van  C-40 or a serial killer ;-)).

Anyways I'm looking at keeping it part time too and will leave the poopy dog at home from now on ;-).

Very interesting, thank you for sharing.  Poor you and dog, that sounds horrible.  I am glad you didn't give up on it completely for the future :).

I think van dwelling and dating would be rough.  Well, I think dating in general would be rough, so living in a van would make it more so.  A good way of weeding out those that are close minded about the situation though. :-).

LV

Aegishjalmur

• Bristles
« Reply #138 on: October 23, 2017, 03:32:20 PM »
My wife and I will be retiring next year into a Dodge Ram Promaster for full time living and travel.

My biggest piece of advice before you leap into this lifestyle: TRY IT FIRST. We have had the van about 14 months and during that time we have spent about 5 and a half weeks travelling and boondocking out of that van(several weeks with our dogs to make sure they can handle it as well). At this point and are on layout #5 or 6 as we keep on tweaking things to fit how we use it.

We kept the build out pretty low tech so that if things break, it's something that can easily be fixed via a stop at a home depot/lowe's.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #139 on: October 24, 2017, 09:07:23 AM »
Aegishjalmur I love your handle "Plans are useless. Planning is indispensable."

:):)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #140 on: October 24, 2017, 12:04:03 PM »
Aegishjalmur I love your handle "Plans are useless. Planning is indispensable."

:):)

Agreed, it's a good one, very similar to Dwight D. Eisenhower's quote "Plans are nothing. Planning is everything."

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #141 on: October 24, 2017, 01:26:10 PM »
:D

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #142 on: October 29, 2017, 10:38:10 PM »
Fortunately after my trials and tribulations everything went really well and I really enjoyed van.dwelling. My 2 months are ending on.the first but am considering doing it full time come spring.

Glad to hear it picked up! :)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #143 on: October 30, 2017, 12:24:59 PM »
Yay! I like hearing you happy.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #144 on: October 31, 2017, 11:18:49 AM »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #145 on: October 31, 2017, 11:21:06 AM »
Hah. That's both absurd and awesome. I love it.

FenderBender

• Stubble
« Reply #146 on: October 31, 2017, 08:24:31 PM »
We could live in a Sprinter van, but traveling the US isn't adventurous enough for us.  The US to us is boring.  Basically all the same people in all the states, all the same stores, all the same neighborhoods for the most part, same highways and roadways, just boring.  It would get old quick.  We'd rather travel in unfamiliar territory where we are more challenged and where there is more to learn.

Some people that travel in the US say things about meeting people and how great that is, but meeting new people means telling your same old story to each of them (for conversation) and I'd get tire of hearing myself talk.  It was like when I was dating, every new woman, tell her about me, settling down was great, didn't have to hear myself tell my life story again.

FenderBender

• Stubble
« Reply #147 on: October 31, 2017, 09:05:55 PM »
We could live in a Sprinter van, but traveling the US isn't adventurous enough for us.  The US to us is boring.  Basically all the same people in all the states, all the same stores, all the same neighborhoods for the most part, same highways and roadways, just boring.  It would get old quick.  We'd rather travel in unfamiliar territory where we are more challenged and where there is more to learn.

Some people that travel in the US say things about meeting people and how great that is, but meeting new people means telling your same old story to each of them (for conversation) and I'd get tire of hearing myself talk.  It was like when I was dating, every new woman, tell her about me, settling down was great, didn't have to hear myself tell my life story again.
So hiking thru the giant redwoods of Calif is the same as climbing in the Rockies or kayaking in.the Everglades or sailing along the coast of Maine or mountain biking thru the redrocks of Utah or fly fishing on a lake in Minnosota or ...etc... Yes I can see how boring it must be in the US.

Yeah, but is that the profile of most living in a van.  From my experience watching on youtube, it is not.  If that is one's thing, however, more power to them, great!  For those just traveling to Alaska in the summer to beat the heat and then traveling to Florida in the winter to beat the cold, it will get old fast.  It won't be an adventure. 

FenderBender

• Stubble
« Reply #148 on: November 01, 2017, 04:38:19 AM »

So hiking thru the giant redwoods of Calif is the same as climbing in the Rockies or kayaking in.the Everglades or sailing along the coast of Maine or mountain biking thru the redrocks of Utah or fly fishing on a lake in Minnosota or ...etc... Yes I can see how boring it must be in the US.

Yeah, but is that the profile of most living in a van.  From my experience watching on youtube, it is not.  If that is one's thing, however, more power to them, great!  For those just traveling to Alaska in the summer to beat the heat and then traveling to Florida in the winter to beat the cold, it will get old fast.  It won't be an adventure.
I think that's the profile of many of the MMM forum members (including myself) who do this already or plan to once FIREd.  Might be an age thing in that they are retired in their 30s and 40s. Also many here have spent a big part of their FIRE travelling all over the world (often grungy hostel staying backpacker style) so get to experience much of the world and choosing to travel in the US is just another adventure amongst many adventures. Many of the journals in.the journal section reflect this kind of active, adventure filled life rather than more sedendary traditional RVing of just going from town to town/place to place to see the sights. Not that there's anything wrong with RVing/van dwelling just to sightsee in the US or the world but there is so much in the US that I personally would never label it boring. YMMV of course.

ETA: Go Dodgers!! ;-)

Not sure how people in a van could routinely climb, bike, kayak and more from a van unless they are going to rent equipment each time.  There is only so much room in a van and considering many want solar and a kitchen counter with sink and small frig in the van, no idea how all the equipment is going to fit.  I find it unrealistic.  If that is what's planned, I don't think a van is going to work.  I thought the profile on MMM was to get enough money to retire and then be afraid to retire or wife/husband retires but the other still works.  Some have retired, but vast majority always seemed to have a reason once able to FIRE to keep working.  You know, like MMM himself, on his way to 400k/yr running this blog, he didn't "work" at it, it was still considered just a hobby or he was still classified as retired because he didn't have to work.   It seems many just want the FU money as just in case.  That's the perception I've gotten over time on MMM, but maybe it has changed, I don't come here often as posts are mostly repeats.  Take care.   

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #149 on: November 01, 2017, 06:58:04 AM »

Not sure how people in a van could routinely climb, bike, kayak and more from a van unless they are going to rent equipment each time.  There is only so much room in a van and considering many want solar and a kitchen counter with sink and small frig in the van, no idea how all the equipment is going to fit.  I find it unrealistic.  If that is what's planned, I don't think a van is going to work.

I've seen plenty of Vans with the kayak on top, bike on rack on the back. (And storage box on back or top that could easily hold climbing equipment).

Totally doable.

I thought the profile on MMM was to get enough money to retire and then be afraid to retire or wife/husband retires but the other still works.

I laughed, cause I thought you were joking (then read the next part).

It's true, there's a handful of people that fit this profile.

There's far more who become FI and then ER. Read the "class of"/"cohort" threads for 2015, 2016, and 2017. (See the sticky in the general discussion subsection for links.)

Some have retired, but vast majority always seemed to have a reason once able to FIRE to keep working.  You know, like MMM himself, on his way to 400k/yr running this blog, he didn't "work" at it, it was still considered just a hobby or he was still classified as retired because he didn't have to work.   It seems many just want the FU money as just in case.  That's the perception I've gotten over time on MMM, but maybe it has changed, I don't come here often as posts are mostly repeats.  Take care.   

Not gonna bother with this IRP stuff.

If that's your impression, /shrug

Move along, nothing to see here.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!