Author Topic: Finally had to say goodbye to my old car.  (Read 1837 times)

DragonSlayer

• Stubble
Finally had to say goodbye to my old car.
« on: June 11, 2017, 07:02:37 AM »
It's a sad day. I finally had to kiss my 24 year old Chevy Lumina goodbye yesterday. Despite being able to to many repairs ourselves, it had started costing more and more money -- literally way more than it was worth. Got a great deal on a used Nissan and although we took out a loan (it was the only way to get the rebate), it'll be paid off ASAP. I would have paid cash, but dealers don't want you to do that anymore. The rebate was worth way more than a couple of months interest, so fine. I'll carry the stupid loan and pay it off after I make the four required payments.

The Nissan is nice, but it's bittersweet. That Lumina and I had been through a lot.

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Finally had to say goodbye to my old car.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 07:09:34 AM »
I know that feeling, saying goodbye to an old friend. It'll be a few years before you have a bond with the new one.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 07:24:53 AM »
24 years is a good innings. Have to wait another 8 before I get up there with my Nissan!

What was the rebate for?

DragonSlayer

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 07:54:52 AM »
24 years is a good innings. Have to wait another 8 before I get up there with my Nissan!

What was the rebate for?

It was literally for financing with them. Had I financed with any other bank or paid cash, they wouldn't have given it to me. (It occurs to me that maybe you're asking how much it was? In that case it was $500. Not a ton, but still... money.)

The sad thing is that I know I'll never see another car probably last 24 years. They just aren't made the same and they're so expensive to service (because there's less you can DIY), that the break point on this Nissan will come much earlier than the Lumina. Now we just have to see how far we can stretch out Malibu. It'll be 20 next year!