Author Topic: Family/Holiday Conversations  (Read 1721 times)

Sanitary Stache

• Handlebar Stache
Family/Holiday Conversations
« on: October 14, 2019, 08:19:01 AM »
I went to a cousin's wedding this past weekend and took part in an enthusiastic conversation with two cousins about long term index fund investing.  I looked around at my aunts and uncles and imagined myself as a child in the '80s listening to their version of this conversation and thinking, "that's what old people talk about".

We referenced Bogle and Buffet and Malkiel.  We talked about the market going down and up and how we have only really experienced the market go up.  Will we be so go-go stock market investing when we lose hundreds of thousands of dollars? (I mean I hope that's how much wealth I have to get wiped out at the next significant downturn).

It was a good time.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Family/Holiday Conversations
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 05:50:42 PM »
And think of what a good example you're setting to the younger generation, talking about index funds instead of bragging about your new SUV/pool/boat....

chemistk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 06:09:17 AM »
Lucky you!

I have just three friends who would be willing to have such an enthusiastic conversation about that. It can make for some good discussions (and even friendly arguments). Most everyone else just dismisses the topic quickly - either because they don't know or they just plain don't care.

Sanitary Stache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 06:50:39 AM »
And think of what a good example you're setting to the younger generation, talking about index funds instead of bragging about your new SUV/pool/boat....

That would have been nice, but this was a family event where children were specifically not invited. Purportedly so the parents could "have a good time".  This was a family event where half my family is specifically not invited?  Other cousins left their kids at home or didn't come, but we brought ours.  We probably shouldn't have gone, but then I would have missed out on seeing my family and having this conversation with my Wall Street cousin.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!