Author Topic: Epic FU money stories  (Read 2814246 times)

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Epic FU money stories
« Reply #4000 on: October 13, 2021, 11:35:32 AM »
Yesterday was my last official day of work.  This is a little off course from the plan of the last 5 years--- I was supposed to get myself down to just clumping hours here and there as projects develop, but 'straw that broke the camel's back' type of thing left me to just quit entirely. 

When I went from salaried to hourly, my payrate was calculated to be (gross pay)/(40*52) but I thought it should be (gross pay + retirement + insurance)/(40*48) to account for actual compensation divided by number of actual hours worked in a year.  Overall discrepancy meant I would be paid 2/3 of my regular salaried rate, while adding significantly more value to the position since I would only be working the hours actually needed to do the job with no dead time. 

This all was a 1 year ago, and for reasons I won't go into, I couldn't just quit or negotiate to the proper amount.  That all changed a month ago, so I told my boss I would quit unless my payrate was adjusted to the proper amount--- a 50% increase.  He was sympathetic and knows our financial situation, but because of bureaucracy, it wasn't possible.  Yesterday I backed up all my files and handed in my keys and badge. 

If my position can be offered again, at an equivalent or better rate to what I had been paid originally, I'll take it, but am in no hurry and don't need it.  The work is interesting and most people are jealous of what I get to do, but I've held a grudge the last year over feeling like I was being taken advantage of and not appreciated.  Finding MMM and accumulating the FU money is what made this possible.  I'd have gotten to this point eventually, but this site has really accelerated the process.  My story isn't epic, and even though I've been very open with my coworkers about planning in the last 5 years, it seems to still be a shock now that reality has hit.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #4001 on: October 13, 2021, 11:45:43 AM »
Congratulations @uniwelder ! Sometimes the timeline changes - and the powers that be must know now that you really are serious.

I regret not standing firm last July in a similar situation, although without as significant a pay cut. Funny how when management gets what they claim to want in changing the terms of your work how quickly a timeline can adjust . . .

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4002 on: October 13, 2021, 12:47:20 PM »
Good for you being in a good position to walk away, @uniwelder !

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4003 on: October 13, 2021, 01:24:54 PM »
Congratulations @uniwelder ! Sometimes the timeline changes - and the powers that be must know now that you really are serious.
I regret not standing firm last July in a similar situation, although without as significant a pay cut. Funny how when management gets what they claim to want in changing the terms of your work how quickly a timeline can adjust . . .
Good for you being in a good position to walk away, @uniwelder !

Thank you! 

Boll weevil

• Stubble
« Reply #4004 on: October 13, 2021, 03:42:12 PM »

When I went from salaried to hourly, my payrate was calculated to be (gross pay)/(40*52) but I thought it should be (gross pay + retirement + insurance)/(40*48) to account for actual compensation divided by number of actual hours worked in a year.  Overall discrepancy meant I would be paid 2/3 of my regular salaried rate, while adding significantly more value to the position since I would only be working the hours actually needed to do the job with no dead time. 

Were you still a direct employee or working on contract? If you were direct, and the company was still paying retirement + insurance (+vacation?), then the formula that was used seems right. Otherwise you’d be double-dipping on the benefits, so to speak.

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4005 on: October 13, 2021, 07:42:35 PM »

Were you still a direct employee or working on contract? If you were direct, and the company was still paying retirement + insurance (+vacation?), then the formula that was used seems right. Otherwise you’d be double-dipping on the benefits, so to speak.

I was still a direct employee.  I went from salaried with benefits to hourly without benefits, so no double dipping in my rate calculation.  It was a voluntary decision.  I could have stayed salary, but I wanted to drastically reduce my hours so I was only working as needed.  My boss would have been happy spending an extra 75k/year keeping me on salary, but I didn't want to be obligated to be at the workplace if not needed.  The hourly payrate was an HR decision, not my boss' exactly, though I think he could have had a bit more influence if he realized what the consequences would be a year later. 

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4006 on: October 14, 2021, 09:06:40 AM »
Update to my story on the previous page about getting breakthrough Covid and realizing my job is toxic.  I gave my boss a set schedule that I would work, but he is not respecting it.  He basically told me that I could work the hours he needs me or none at all.  I'm not sure why he thought this would work since the entire state where I am is really short on staff and we both know it's better to have me working part time than none at all.

So I called my old manager from another district and I'm going to transfer there in 2 weeks.  He is glad to have me in any capacity since he knows I'll do a good job.  I'm starting out 2 days a week on days of my choice and we'll see how my mental health is.  Nice old manager is going to handle it all with current jerk manager so I don't have to deal with him.  Although part of me wants to hear his reaction :).

DW did the same, her boss wanted her to work weekends but that didn’t work well for us, so she found another job and all of a sudden they were totally fine with her just working weekdays if she came back

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4007 on: October 14, 2021, 02:10:45 PM »
Update to my story on the previous page about getting breakthrough Covid and realizing my job is toxic.  I gave my boss a set schedule that I would work, but he is not respecting it.  He basically told me that I could work the hours he needs me or none at all.  I'm not sure why he thought this would work since the entire state where I am is really short on staff and we both know it's better to have me working part time than none at all.

So I called my old manager from another district and I'm going to transfer there in 2 weeks.  He is glad to have me in any capacity since he knows I'll do a good job.  I'm starting out 2 days a week on days of my choice and we'll see how my mental health is.  Nice old manager is going to handle it all with current jerk manager so I don't have to deal with him.  Although part of me wants to hear his reaction :).

DW did the same, her boss wanted her to work weekends but that didn’t work well for us, so she found another job and all of a sudden they were totally fine with her just working weekdays if she came back
Hope she stayed at other job or at least got a big raise or something if she went back.

magus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4008 on: October 15, 2021, 06:03:24 AM »
I once attended an accounting class by a guy who used to run a bank. He started out in tech support, more or less, during the early computer days when the "computer department" generated reports because no one else had computers.

When he became department head, there were 150 reports generated for the company. His first act was to stop sending them. His plan was to permanently cancel any report that no one requested during the next 90 days. Half of the reports died.

He didn't have to leave his job to say FU to unnecessary work!

I am actually a big fan of this tactic for anyone that ever takes over an FP&A team. I’ve done this a couple times, minus the reports I used from my team

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4009 on: October 15, 2021, 09:10:23 AM »
I once attended an accounting class by a guy who used to run a bank. He started out in tech support, more or less, during the early computer days when the "computer department" generated reports because no one else had computers.

When he became department head, there were 150 reports generated for the company. His first act was to stop sending them. His plan was to permanently cancel any report that no one requested during the next 90 days. Half of the reports died.

That's a dangerous tactic because some reports are only used at the end of a fiscal year.    Best to take that into account.  Otherwise, yep, it's a great way to cut out unnecessary work!

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4010 on: October 15, 2021, 11:37:19 AM »

That's a dangerous tactic because some reports are only used at the end of a fiscal year.    Best to take that into account.  Otherwise, yep, it's a great way to cut out unnecessary work!

Schedule the 90 days to start shortly before the end of the FY.

habanero

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4011 on: October 15, 2021, 11:55:19 AM »

Early in my job life we had an old big-ass dot matrix printer spitting out vast ammounts of paper every morning. Noone used the output from this beast. When we pointed out that it was no point in printing this stuff the reply was that noone knew what job it was or how to stop it. It was something put on the mainframe probably 10-20 years ago and probably made sense at the time. Eventually someone figured out what it was and stopped it, or someone just threw up the monster of a printer, cant really remeber.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4012 on: October 15, 2021, 12:14:44 PM »

Early in my job life we had an old big-ass dot matrix printer spitting out vast ammounts of paper every morning. Noone used the output from this beast. When we pointed out that it was no point in printing this stuff the reply was that noone knew what job it was or how to stop it. It was something put on the mainframe probably 10-20 years ago and probably made sense at the time. Eventually someone figured out what it was and stopped it, or someone just threw up the monster of a printer, cant really remeber.

Someone posted on craigslist today a free printer stand.  It was one of those with the slit in the top of the table and the big empty space underneath for reams and reams of perforated printer paper.  I was thinking about how so few people younger than me would even know what that table was made for.  If you tried to tell kids today about paper that came in one continuous sheet that we had to separate at perforations, what would they say?

youngwildandfree

• Stubble
« Reply #4013 on: October 15, 2021, 02:10:26 PM »

Someone posted on craigslist today a free printer stand.  It was one of those with the slit in the top of the table and the big empty space underneath for reams and reams of perforated printer paper.  I was thinking about how so few people younger than me would even know what that table was made for.  If you tried to tell kids today about paper that came in one continuous sheet that we had to separate at perforations, what would they say?

"Doesn't that require killing a lot of trees?"

Or maybe the young people in my life are just extra environmentally conscious.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4014 on: October 15, 2021, 02:49:01 PM »
Using piles of that continuous green bar paper was situation normal back then.  It was the only way to get output from the mainframes.  Also went through amazingng amounts of punch cards.  From what I've heard.  From older friends.  Right.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4015 on: October 15, 2021, 03:46:44 PM »
There's nothing quite like a banner printed at home or school on 10 to 20 linear feet of paper that is already attached together for you. I don't know how kids today cope without this being a regular part of their lives.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4016 on: October 15, 2021, 06:05:46 PM »
Anyone else build forts in the basement with it? Pretty sure I got in trouble. Worth it though!

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #4017 on: October 15, 2021, 06:09:42 PM »
Anyone else build forts in the basement with it? Pretty sure I got in trouble. Worth it though!

Blankets are a better fort material, due to the extra width and sound blocking.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4018 on: October 15, 2021, 07:35:47 PM »

Blankets are a better fort material, due to the extra width and sound blocking.

Agreed, and those were used in the living room. But you make do with what you've got.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4019 on: October 16, 2021, 05:02:09 PM »
Using piles of that continuous green bar paper was situation normal back then.  It was the only way to get output from the mainframes.  Also went through amazingng amounts of punch cards.  From what I've heard.  From older friends.  Right.
Graduation day watching the contents of a box of punch cards flutter down from the roof of the residence hall like oversized playing cards...  Also, not me.

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #4020 on: October 16, 2021, 08:48:48 PM »
I used to work on those printers & readers.

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4021 on: October 17, 2021, 08:19:53 AM »
I used to work on those printers & readers.

I feel old now.........
BTW, we called that paper "pajama paper", because of the stripes

JoePublic3.14

• Bristles
« Reply #4022 on: October 19, 2021, 05:16:03 PM »
There's nothing quite like a banner printed at home or school on 10 to 20 linear feet of paper that is already attached together for you. I don't know how kids today cope without this being a regular part of their lives.

Yeah, I’ve thought about that now and again over the years.

What was that print program that made banners? It’ll come to me….probably at 1am.

Wile E. Coyote

• Bristles
« Reply #4023 on: October 19, 2021, 06:23:39 PM »

What was that print program that made banners? It’ll come to me….probably at 1am.
The Print Shop, maybe?

JoePublic3.14

• Bristles
« Reply #4024 on: October 20, 2021, 10:19:26 AM »

The Print Shop, maybe?

Yeah, think you nailed it. That would wear out the ole printer

dhc

• Stubble
« Reply #4025 on: October 26, 2021, 08:42:18 PM »
Not really epic, but after an executive not in my chain of command scheduled a meeting with me to discuss his disapproval of some actions he imagined but that I did not actually take, refused to listen when I told him as much, and patronizingly lectured me on how my actions could affect others in the organization, I emailed him and the CEO (his boss) some direct feedback explaining that he was out of line and requesting any future feedback be direct and actionable. Welp...we'll see how it goes over.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4026 on: October 27, 2021, 01:20:30 AM »
Not really epic, but after an executive not in my chain of command scheduled a meeting with me to discuss his disapproval of some actions he imagined but that I did not actually take, refused to listen when I told him as much, and patronizingly lectured me on how my actions could affect others in the organization, I emailed him and the CEO (his boss) some direct feedback explaining that he was out of line and requesting any future feedback be direct and actionable. Welp...we'll see how it goes over.
That is epic, especially if your top brass take it as a teacheable moment.

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4027 on: October 27, 2021, 05:22:06 AM »

Please come back and tell us how it goes.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4028 on: October 27, 2021, 07:12:10 AM »

Did you know the topic of the meeting before hand?  Did you show up to the meeting?

Hall11235

• Stubble
« Reply #4029 on: October 27, 2021, 11:57:09 AM »
Not super epic, but maybe still worth a post...

My boss (the CEO), went to the office last Sunday to drop his custom-made Oooh La La RV off in the parking lot (long story), and get some work done. In addition to being the primary pre-sales support admin and installation manager of the descendants of those printers we were talking about on the last page, I also do cover some facilities stuff. This includes the alarm system.

I had shown the CEO how to use the alarm to arm and disarm the system (very easy - Pin + Away or Pin + Arm). Well, on that Sunday, he couldn't figure it out, triggered the alarm and the police showed up, etc. etc. He calls me, and, since it is Sunday at 3, I have a tone with him that he doesn't like.

Fast forward to Tuesday, he calls me and tells me that I am too valuable to ever leave, so that means he needs to compensate me enough that he can call me on a Sunday for emergencies and not be upset. This compensation turned into an additional 10k for me, and raises for all of my direct reports.

If I had known that all I had to do get raises was be an ass to my boss, I would have started a long time ago...

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4030 on: October 27, 2021, 01:28:01 PM »
That’s epic.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4031 on: October 27, 2021, 01:44:30 PM »
If I had known that all I had to do get raises was be an ass to my boss, I would have started a long time ago...
Hm maybe I should try this!

NorthernIkigai

• Bristles
  • Connoisseur of Leisure
« Reply #4032 on: October 27, 2021, 02:05:52 PM »
Fast forward to Tuesday, he calls me and tells me that I am too valuable to ever leave, so that means he needs to compensate me enough that he can call me on a Sunday for emergencies and not be upset. This compensation turned into an additional 10k for me

Epic AND hilarious! Were you even thinking you were flexing your FU money muscles here, or was it inadvertent?

Of course, paying a Mustachian more “to keep them from ever leaving” may not be a successful move…

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4033 on: October 27, 2021, 02:47:05 PM »
Of course, paying a Mustachian more “to keep them from ever leaving” may not be a successful move…

LOL! I've actually had that thought in my mind before, when I received raises/bonuses.
My employer thinks that they are rewarding me and making me loyal, in order to work harder and stay longer.... and for a mustachian, it is exactly the opposite!

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4034 on: October 27, 2021, 02:58:54 PM »
Definitely epic. Is 10k enough for your boss to call you on Sunday without you being upset?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 03:08:49 PM by Mr. Green »

Hall11235

• Stubble
« Reply #4035 on: October 27, 2021, 03:06:46 PM »
Fast forward to Tuesday, he calls me and tells me that I am too valuable to ever leave, so that means he needs to compensate me enough that he can call me on a Sunday for emergencies and not be upset. This compensation turned into an additional 10k for me

Epic AND hilarious! Were you even thinking you were flexing your FU money muscles here, or was it inadvertent?

I wish my brain was that big, haha! I was just irritated he had the temerity to call me on a Sunday!!

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #4036 on: October 27, 2021, 03:55:08 PM »
My boss once said he'd pay me more but I'd just leave sooner.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4037 on: October 27, 2021, 04:09:45 PM »
And you immediately submitted your resignation, right?

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #4038 on: October 27, 2021, 04:37:07 PM »
No, it was in a joking manor. However I now have 29 28 days left.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 04:38:55 PM by dblaace »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4039 on: October 27, 2021, 06:00:51 PM »
Does your boss know this?

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #4040 on: October 27, 2021, 06:26:43 PM »
Does your boss know this?
Oh yeah, I gave him 5 months notice. He said that over a year ago.

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4041 on: October 27, 2021, 08:20:43 PM »
I have about two years left to hit my number, but things have been rough at work.  I am tired of having to manage my managers, among a great many other faults.

So after my wife realized just how unhappy I was she gave me the freedom to resign without getting anything lined up.  I told my manager today what I was thinking.  I gave him 48 hours to change my mind (i.e. come up with a viable plan to make things suck less) or he’ll get my official notice Friday.  I like most of the folks I work with, including him, but the company just is a basket-case that has broken my spirit.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4042 on: October 27, 2021, 08:26:02 PM »
I have about two years left to hit my number, but things have been rough at work.  I am tired of having to manage my managers, among a great many other faults.

So after my wife realized just how unhappy I was she gave me the freedom to resign without getting anything lined up.  I told my manager today what I was thinking.  I gave him 48 hours to change my mind (i.e. come up with a viable plan to make things suck less) or he’ll get my official notice Friday.  I like most of the folks I work with, including him, but the company just is a basket-case that has broken my spirit.

FU money is a wonderful thing and this is what it's for!  Good job!

NorthernIkigai

• Bristles
  • Connoisseur of Leisure
« Reply #4043 on: October 28, 2021, 01:44:30 AM »

LOL! I've actually had that thought in my mind before, when I received raises/bonuses.
My employer thinks that they are rewarding me and making me loyal, in order to work harder and stay longer.... and for a mustachian, it is exactly the opposite!

I guess it does work, until it very suddenly doesn't anymore. There's a recent discussion somewhere on the board about whether or not to let your employer know you have money (and therefore options). I guess in most circumstances it's better to at least be vague about your stash and timeline, since it can make a big professional difference whether you'll want to be employed for another year or 5 or 10.

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4044 on: October 28, 2021, 03:41:58 AM »

Be sure to update with the conclusion!

Hall11235

• Stubble
« Reply #4045 on: October 28, 2021, 05:55:48 AM »
Definitely epic. Is 10k enough for your boss to call you on Sunday without you being upset?

For now, yes. I have a reputation of being 'blunt' and not playing 'the game' (as it relates to office politics,etc.). There is a clear understanding of who needs who in this employer-employee relationship. Every person I have reported to knows how small I live, and it has allowed me to earn respect from my superiors since I can be honest without fear of losing my shirt. :)

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4046 on: October 28, 2021, 06:58:34 AM »

For now, yes. I have a reputation of being 'blunt' and not playing 'the game' (as it relates to office politics,etc.). There is a clear understanding of who needs who in this employer-employee relationship. Every person I have reported to knows how small I live, and it has allowed me to earn respect from my superiors since I can be honest without fear of losing my shirt. :)

In most organisations you actually get rewarded for speaking up, because there are a lot of people not wanting to do it. I have always said what I thought even though I have learned to be more diplomatic than in my youth. I can play the game if it is needed to achieve an objective but prefer not to. I would probably not tell my employer when I was planning to leave but I would make certain that it is my choice to stay because I want to and not because I need to.

alcon835

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4047 on: October 28, 2021, 07:10:55 AM »

This is the DEFINITION of epic FU! The story isn't over, but the very fact you could do this is epic beyond belief! Keep us updated :)

NorthernIkigai

• Bristles
  • Connoisseur of Leisure
« Reply #4048 on: October 28, 2021, 07:44:18 AM »
In most organisations you actually get rewarded for speaking up, because there are a lot of people not wanting to do it. I have always said what I thought even though I have learned to be more diplomatic than in my youth.

And not just speaking up and saying what you think, but also asking for clarification when you don't understand something. I've found that people respect me a lot more when I say "I don't understand this bit here, could you explain it?" instead of just nodding along (like a lot of my colleagues do) and then misunderstanding and not doing the work right.

People are afraid they are going to look stupid if they admit to not understanding something, whereas it's literally part of the job to make sure they do understand it. Usually colleagues also appreciate that I asked since they also didn't get it but were too chicken to let anyone know... Not to mention all the holes in plans that get discovered because someone doesn't understand how it's supposed to work and then even the ones in charge realize it doesn't actually work.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4049 on: October 28, 2021, 11:59:56 AM »
I have made a point of asking 'dumb' questions in meetings in front of the new hire/fresh outs so they can see how it works and it is welcome (at least I hope that was what they took away).  Also I have spoken to some of then about personal finance and recommended mmm.  "I want you to feel financially secure so you can tell me I am full of shit when I am without fear of being fired and broke."