Author Topic: Epic FU money stories  (Read 2813790 times)

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Epic FU money stories
« Reply #3950 on: August 08, 2021, 07:56:15 PM »
I just figured all this wfh has been happening amidst an uptick in the use of peyote…  kinda made sense then.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3951 on: August 09, 2021, 05:05:25 AM »
Some workplaces you have a chance of changing something, some you just don't. I've been in a situation where I was very unfairly treated but knew my complaint would be dismissed. I just silently didn't apply to work there again next season, because I knew all the other worker bees had heard the manager yelling at me and I wanted to retain the moral high ground in their eyes (because they might hook me up with future work). But dang, maybe I should just post her a box of half eaten doughnuts now...

BussoV6

• Bristles
« Reply #3952 on: August 09, 2021, 08:06:22 AM »
I went to a traditional UK boarding school, and I was in the most traditional house in that school.  Fagging had officially been abolished years before (fagging = junior boys being servants to senior boys) but in my house it still existed, but technically as punishment (i.e. caught doing something wrong = make & bring tea to the senior boys, or clean their shoes, make their beds etc)  However, the 'punishments' were scrupulously handed out on an unofficial roster.  Because if any fag felt they were being picked on unfairly, the tea would have urine in it.  So, yeah, I am totally on board with the doughnut bites.

This is a good example of the USA and UK being separated by a common language.  :)

Yes, "nipping out for a fag" doesn't have the same meaning in the US vs UK...

MyOtherBrotherDarryl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3953 on: August 09, 2021, 10:08:02 AM »
I just figured all this wfh has been happening amidst an uptick in the use of peyote…  kinda made sense then.

Hence the popularity of shirts with... buttons.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3954 on: August 09, 2021, 12:27:41 PM »
I'm with @johndoe. This is the act of a petty bridge burner, not someone refusing an immoral order because they don't need the money.

It's a thread about "fuck you money" stories, not "I politely declined to do something because I am fiscally prepared" stories. :P

Malossi792

• Stubble
« Reply #3955 on: August 10, 2021, 03:40:31 AM »
I'm with @johndoe. This is the act of a petty bridge burner, not someone refusing an immoral order because they don't need the money.

It's a thread about "fuck you money" stories, not "I politely declined to do something because I am fiscally prepared" stories. :P
Yeah, we have a separate thread for polite stories:
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/satisfying-'no-thank-you'-money-stories/
This one is for the popcorn-worty, often bridge-burning FU-p*rn AFAIK ;)

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3956 on: August 15, 2021, 03:00:28 PM »
Maybe I don't understand "FU money"... always assumed it was something like "I'm here because I get satisfaction out of [insert task]; I don't need the paycheck and won't blindly comply with superiors' orders if they're not the right thing to do".  How does burning bridges by doing something like eating someone's donuts become an "epic" move?  Even if that employee was mistreated for years, it's impossible for them to not appear petty by doing something like this.  Am I in the minority here?

In regards to the burning bridges part in general, I view stories on here like watching a movie. I would likely never do it myself, but I envision myself having the guts/wit to do something similar at a particularly rough job I had. I don't think I would ever have it in me to burn a bridge in some of these more extreme ways, but I have been in some tough situations and can see the appeal.

In terms of this particular one, I guess it depends on the situation. If she was specifically tasked with bringing breakfast for her boss I can understand it. In all my work situations, something like that would have been more communal, so I definitely wouldn't have done it if it could have felt directed at more than just my boss specifically. All in all, my response was dang, she got the message across that she was pissed.

I personally prefer ones where the response is directly related to the problem - a boss habitually overloads an employee, the employee finally says enough is enough and refuses, they are told there is no option, and then the employee quits, leaving the aggressive boss to hold the bag for everything. I guess it does seem a little less petty to me when they are directly tied to the problem and are a logical consequence of the action.

As someone who has FIRED earlier this year, I can definitively say that thinking of all the different ways I could make an epic FU story got me through the last few years of a mentally draining job.  But when it came time to do the deed, the old adage "Living well is the best revenge" really came true for me.  I didn't feel as if I owed anyone a real explanation and a quiet exit felt like the best revenge that I could muster. 

I had had a work nemesis for years and almost all of my revenge fantasies involved him, but I hadn't had much interaction with him through Covid, so just leaving before his retirement (4 months later) was very satisfactory to me.  It still feels great! 

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3957 on: August 15, 2021, 03:32:48 PM »
At an old job in Portland I had a coworker I hated so much (went out of his way to question everything I said - work related or personal), that I dreamed of leaving a VooDoo Donut chocolate cock n balls donut on his desk. I had a severance package for my position being eliminated, so I couldn't risk it for the donut but the thought got me through many days there... Glad to see someone else has thought of being petty with donuts!

pdxvandal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3958 on: August 15, 2021, 06:46:42 PM »
@fuzzy math ... that is an epic thought at least. I miss the Cock n Balls donut, at least for its novelty. I'm in the PDX area as well and hoping to get out of the rat race next summer. Enjoy your FIRE!

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3959 on: August 15, 2021, 07:16:01 PM »
At an old job in Portland I had a coworker I hated so much (went out of his way to question everything I said - work related or personal), that I dreamed of leaving a VooDoo Donut chocolate cock n balls donut on his desk. I had a severance package for my position being eliminated, so I couldn't risk it for the donut but the thought got me through many days there... Glad to see someone else has thought of being petty with donuts!

This made me think of a few things that my brother and a friend of his did as pranks.  They always called them pranks, but to me they seemed really mean-spirited and only to be used against someone who "deserved it". 
My brother took a cafeteria egg salad sandwich and duct taped it under the conference table of his boss.  Not too terrible, as I'm sure someone found it rather quickly.
His friend took remnants of a shellfish dinner and unscrewed an overhead vent cover, put the garbage inside, and replaced the vent cover.  I cannot imagine that anyone found that for quite a while.  He claimed it was just because he thought it was funny as a parting reminder, but I've always thought that was really mean.  I'd take half-eaten donuts any day.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #3960 on: August 16, 2021, 06:51:45 AM »
I don't think this is really Epic but I wouldn't have done it without FU money...

I've been working for this employer for over a decade. Since then the building has been remodelled and the climate control performance has dropped to unacceptable levels. However, my boss (current and former) have told me that shorts are not acceptable. Asked 10 years ago via the workers comp (which I think is the correct equivalent, co-workers who talk/negotiate with CEO level because of local law requirements). Back then the answer was that there was no dresscode but to adhere to the long pants to show solidarity to the workers who did have a dress code.

Years later, the temps at the office keep going up to a standard 25C during 20C outdoor temps, and higher as the outdoors temp rises. Climate control is abysmal and even with all windows open there's basically no fresh air unless there's a huricane blowing in the right direction.
I said to myself, screw it, I'm going in shorts because it's Covid time and I have 0 interaction with customers. Also, there are like 5 coworkers in a 100+ desk building.
2 weeks later, my boss pulls me aside and says that he has no qualms with my prefrences but that he had been mandated by the CEO that no shorts were allowed. Meanwhile our co-workers of the female persuasion could wear dresses/skirts and workers (like masons, plumbers) who visit customers could go in company logo provided shorts if temps outside are above 25C.

Well, thats kind of unfair, right? So I contacted my workers comp representative and laid out my case: If I work in the office and wear a decent pair of shorts I am presentable to the customers but not allowed to by the CEO's. The workers have a requirement that 25C outdoors temp is a minimum for shorts, why not for office workers too?
If my female coworker wears the same shorts it's not a problem. The female coworkers can even wear a dress, skirt or something like it. Why can't I? Do I need to wear a skirt to the office then? Because I will (and truly, I would)!

Talks between the workers comp and CEO's have concluded, result: There is no mandate on dresscode for office personel, nor will there be other than being presentable. If I want to wear shorts I'm allowed to do so, within reason and as long as it is respectable. The respectable part may be up for discussion, same as mini-skirts with flip-flops are.

So, this is a Win, right?

youngwildandfree

• Stubble
« Reply #3961 on: August 16, 2021, 07:10:47 AM »
I don't think this is really Epic but I wouldn't have done it without FU money...

I've been working for this employer for over a decade. Since then the building has been remodelled and the climate control performance has dropped to unacceptable levels. However, my boss (current and former) have told me that shorts are not acceptable. Asked 10 years ago via the workers comp (which I think is the correct equivalent, co-workers who talk/negotiate with CEO level because of local law requirements). Back then the answer was that there was no dresscode but to adhere to the long pants to show solidarity to the workers who did have a dress code.

Years later, the temps at the office keep going up to a standard 25C during 20C outdoor temps, and higher as the outdoors temp rises. Climate control is abysmal and even with all windows open there's basically no fresh air unless there's a huricane blowing in the right direction.
I said to myself, screw it, I'm going in shorts because it's Covid time and I have 0 interaction with customers. Also, there are like 5 coworkers in a 100+ desk building.
2 weeks later, my boss pulls me aside and says that he has no qualms with my prefrences but that he had been mandated by the CEO that no shorts were allowed. Meanwhile our co-workers of the female persuasion could wear dresses/skirts and workers (like masons, plumbers) who visit customers could go in company logo provided shorts if temps outside are above 25C.

Well, thats kind of unfair, right? So I contacted my workers comp representative and laid out my case: If I work in the office and wear a decent pair of shorts I am presentable to the customers but not allowed to by the CEO's. The workers have a requirement that 25C outdoors temp is a minimum for shorts, why not for office workers too?
If my female coworker wears the same shorts it's not a problem. The female coworkers can even wear a dress, skirt or something like it. Why can't I? Do I need to wear a skirt to the office then? Because I will (and truly, I would)!

Talks between the workers comp and CEO's have concluded, result: There is no mandate on dresscode for office personel, nor will there be other than being presentable. If I want to wear shorts I'm allowed to do so, within reason and as long as it is respectable. The respectable part may be up for discussion, same as mini-skirts with flip-flops are.

I think it's a win! I have similar issues right now with climate control. It gets unbearably hot in the office/labs. Because it's a scientific lab environment I do wear long pants when I'm running experiments, but if I don't expect to be in the lab (paperwork/grant writing day) I wear shorts or skirts. There are no written rules about it, but it was a big mental hurdle for me to even broach the subject. Freedom and cooler outfits feel fantastic.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3962 on: August 16, 2021, 08:05:59 AM »

I think it's a win! I have similar issues right now with climate control. It gets unbearably hot in the office/labs. Because it's a scientific lab environment I do wear long pants when I'm running experiments, but if I don't expect to be in the lab (paperwork/grant writing day) I wear shorts or skirts. There are no written rules about it, but it was a big mental hurdle for me to even broach the subject. Freedom and cooler outfits feel fantastic.

The summer that I was pregnant, my office instituted an "energy saving policy" in which the thermostats in each individual office were locked into a pre-set temperature of 78 degrees.  We ended up having a bunch of localized heat waves in our office.  About every hour and a half someone would go wave a cigarette lighter around underneath the thermostat until it kicked the air on for awhile. 

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3963 on: August 16, 2021, 08:45:28 AM »
@fuzzy math ... that is an epic thought at least. I miss the Cock n Balls donut, at least for its novelty. I'm in the PDX area as well and hoping to get out of the rat race next summer. Enjoy your FIRE!

Unfortunately due to my position being eliminated there, and the niche field I'm in I had to leave OR to find another job. Not FIREd yet, but 75% of the way there and I may peace out from my current job within the next 6 - 18 months if things stay as they are. Did they get rid of the donut? My fave one there was actually the peach fritter with cream cheese frosting. Alas, I have a gluten allergy and can't eat them anymore :(

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3964 on: August 16, 2021, 09:30:16 AM »
The summer that I was pregnant, my office instituted an "energy saving policy" in which the thermostats in each individual office were locked into a pre-set temperature of 78 degrees.  We ended up having a bunch of localized heat waves in our office.  About every hour and a half someone would go wave a cigarette lighter around underneath the thermostat until it kicked the air on for awhile.
When I lived in Houston, I tried keeping the thermostat set at 78.  I really did.  But I just couldn't take it, and neither could my family.

Of course, it didn't help that at the office, their (corporate) idea of an acceptable temperatures was 62 degrees.  Seriously.  Our admin kept a space heater under her desk during the summer.

If you have the problem of a too-low (and non-adjustable) temperature, there's a cool little fix: drape a damp paper towel over the thermostat.  Evaporative cooling will make the thermostat think that the room is colder than it actually is.

youngwildandfree

• Stubble
« Reply #3965 on: August 16, 2021, 11:28:50 AM »
My boss likes it at 77. We have a current compromise of 74 + the shorts/skirts on non-lab days.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3966 on: August 16, 2021, 12:56:43 PM »
...someone would go wave a cigarette lighter around underneath the thermostat until it kicked the air on for awhile.

If you have the problem of a too-low (and non-adjustable) temperature, there's a cool little fix: drape a damp paper towel over the thermostat.  Evaporative cooling will make the thermostat think that the room is colder than it actually is.
Wow! These are things I wish I'd known sooner.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3967 on: August 16, 2021, 03:42:56 PM »
When I lived in Houston, I tried keeping the thermostat set at 78.  I really did.  But I just couldn't take it, and neither could my family.

Of course, it didn't help that at the office, their (corporate) idea of an acceptable temperatures was 62 degrees.  Seriously.  Our admin kept a space heater under her desk during the summer.

Ha, I was the one with the space heater under my desk in the summer months. I started at 6am, but by 7:30am the air had kicked in and by 9am my fingers would be stiff with cold. That heater ran from 8am to 2pm every day.

I used to be able to adjust the thermostat, but I guess building management got tired of people playing with thermostats, and put lockable plastic box covers over them. A handy straightened paper clip could find its way through the vents in the cover and adjust the temperature, but after enduring that for a while, they removed the thermostats completely.

I love working from home. I have my thermostat set to 76F in the summer months, and it's perfect.

bizziel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3968 on: August 17, 2021, 02:37:30 PM »
In 2016 my dad was diagnosed with cancer. I lived a 5 hr drive away. The next day i went to the office and said i wouldn't be back (i should have given 3 months notice as that's what my contract specified, which is not unusual in the uk), listed my house with a sales agent and drove home to be with my parents. 3 months later my dad died.

Not an epic FU story as my work were wonderful and completely understanding, but the time i got to spend with him because i didn't have to work was utterly priceless. I also stayed living with my mum for another couple of months to help with probate and support her emotionally as we grieved. This is what FU money gives you, freedom when you need it. 

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3969 on: August 17, 2021, 03:28:21 PM »
Maybe not FU, but definitely epic. Congratulations on acting on your priorities, and my sympathy for the loss of your father.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3970 on: August 17, 2021, 04:48:07 PM »
In 2016 my dad was diagnosed with cancer. I lived a 5 hr drive away. The next day i went to the office and said i wouldn't be back (i should have given 3 months notice as that's what my contract specified, which is not unusual in the uk), listed my house with a sales agent and drove home to be with my parents. 3 months later my dad died.

Not an epic FU story as my work were wonderful and completely understanding, but the time i got to spend with him because i didn't have to work was utterly priceless. I also stayed living with my mum for another couple of months to help with probate and support her emotionally as we grieved. This is what FU money gives you, freedom when you need it. 
Sorry about your dad. Glad you understood how important that time was. That's a rare gift.

Welcome to the MMM Forum!

bizziel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3971 on: August 18, 2021, 12:39:19 AM »
Thank you both

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3972 on: August 18, 2021, 06:49:46 AM »

Wow, what an epic first post!

Sorry about your dad. I'm glad you got to spend time with him and was able to support your mother in this time.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3973 on: August 18, 2021, 07:05:49 AM »

Sorry about your dad. I'm glad you had the strength (and FU money) to make that decision.

As it happens, I was spared that choice by the coincidence of COVID (universal WFH meant I could stay with my dad without giving up my job). I'm so glad I was able to be there for him and with him. But I'm not sure if I would have had the strength or clarity to do it if I'd had to leave my job first.

bizziel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3974 on: August 18, 2021, 10:32:45 AM »

Sorry about your dad. I'm glad you had the strength (and FU money) to make that decision.

As it happens, I was spared that choice by the coincidence of COVID (universal WFH meant I could stay with my dad without giving up my job). I'm so glad I was able to be there for him and with him. But I'm not sure if I would have had the strength or clarity to do it if I'd had to leave my job first.
I'm sorry about your Dad.

Yes, wfh would have made it much easier for me. I hope that employers will now be more flexible with this to allow people to fit there jobs around their lives more easily.

frugal rph

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3975 on: August 24, 2021, 09:54:39 AM »
I have been unhappy at my job for years but not miserable and it had always provided a decent work life balance so I stuck around.  Once we started administering the Pfizer vaccines at the same time they cut our support staff's hours, things became miserable.  I was having to work 2 to 4 hours extra (unpaid) every day to keep up.  Several other pharmacists in my area quit, so my partner and I were having to cover eachother's vacation time or we would not be allowed to go.  So here I am working 14ish hours a day and picking up extra shifts that I have no desire to work.  I had to get on medication for anxiety and depression.

About 3 weeks ago, I got a breakthrough case of Covid.  Per company policy and CDC guidelines I am unable to work for 10 days (my job cannot be done remotely).  During this time, my boss texts me daily with complaints about how poorly the store is being run, prescriptions are not ready on time, the pharmacist covering for me opened the store late, etc.  I am actually locked out of the system since I'm on sick leave and cannot do anything about any of this.  My boss is the one in charge of the people covering my leave.  Not one single inquiry about my health or if my family was ok.  Luckily I had a mild case and did not spread it to anyone. Also my anxiety and depression almost completely disappeared while I was on sick leave.

My husband and I had a long talk.  He had been trying to get my to leave my job for months but I was scared to leave a high paying job and had rationalized all the bad parts as being worth it.  But this forced leave was the wake up call I needed.  I told my boss that in 1 month I'm stepping down to part-time and I'll only be available on a set schedule that I will dictate.  We are so short handed right now that I know I'll be able to get all the hours I want.  Plus I'm good at what I do and other pharmacists will want me to cover their stores.  He was not happy and went on and on about what a tight spot I'm leaving him in. 

Before I got Covid I would have been upset and worried about leaving the store in a lurch and my boss possibly disliking me.  Now I just don't care.  I'm going to work part-time at this job and decide if I financially need to get another job or if I can just stick with this one.

Nutty

• Stubble
  • Late but haven't missed the train.
« Reply #3976 on: August 24, 2021, 10:18:43 AM »
Before I got Covid I would have been upset and worried about leaving the store in a lurch and my boss possibly disliking me.  Now I just don't care.  I'm going to work part-time at this job and decide if I financially need to get another job or if I can just stick with this one.
I'm sorry that your boss showed you what his priorities were.  Good for you for drawing a line and going through with a life changing improving decision.  The bosses need to understand that it is a mutual agreement.

P2 picked up a part time retail job and really liked it and the people.  P2 was good at the job and everyone noticed.  The boss sent out a decree that everyone was required at the holiday sale and no exceptions.  P2 made an exception and cleaned out their locker due to prior commitments.  Driving people away to make yourself look good can backfire.

Glad you are feeling better and in a good place.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3977 on: August 24, 2021, 11:18:02 AM »
This sounds like a classic "I need A job, but not THIS job" kind of story.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3978 on: August 24, 2021, 01:11:16 PM »
My boss is the one in charge of the people covering my leave.  Not one single inquiry about my health or if my family was ok.  Luckily I had a mild case and did not spread it to anyone. Also my anxiety and depression almost completely disappeared while I was on sick leave.

You boss wasn't doing their job of getting you coverage. Your boss doesn't care about you. Your boss doesn't realize that the nicest thing you did was to cut your hours. Your boss doesn't realize that he'd have been screwed worse if one of his best performers had quit with a short notice. Your boss can go stuff it where the sun don't shine.

I used to work as a pharmacy tech around the last millennium. Pharmacy district managers were assholes then, and seem to be just about the same based on your outcome.

frugal rph

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3979 on: August 26, 2021, 08:42:32 AM »
Update to my story on the previous page about getting breakthrough Covid and realizing my job is toxic.  I gave my boss a set schedule that I would work, but he is not respecting it.  He basically told me that I could work the hours he needs me or none at all.  I'm not sure why he thought this would work since the entire state where I am is really short on staff and we both know it's better to have me working part time than none at all.

So I called my old manager from another district and I'm going to transfer there in 2 weeks.  He is glad to have me in any capacity since he knows I'll do a good job.  I'm starting out 2 days a week on days of my choice and we'll see how my mental health is.  Nice old manager is going to handle it all with current jerk manager so I don't have to deal with him.  Although part of me wants to hear his reaction :).

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3980 on: August 26, 2021, 08:45:19 AM »
Update to my story on the previous page about getting breakthrough Covid and realizing my job is toxic.  I gave my boss a set schedule that I would work, but he is not respecting it.  He basically told me that I could work the hours he needs me or none at all.  I'm not sure why he thought this would work since the entire state where I am is really short on staff and we both know it's better to have me working part time than none at all.

So I called my old manager from another district and I'm going to transfer there in 2 weeks.  He is glad to have me in any capacity since he knows I'll do a good job.  I'm starting out 2 days a week on days of my choice and we'll see how my mental health is.  Nice old manager is going to handle it all with current jerk manager so I don't have to deal with him.  Although part of me wants to hear his reaction :).

Congratulations, that is an excellent outcome. 

Nutty

• Stubble
  • Late but haven't missed the train.
« Reply #3981 on: August 26, 2021, 10:15:04 AM »
It's always amusing when someone's bluff gets called.  Good job and good for you.  Will the commute change?

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3982 on: August 26, 2021, 10:33:04 AM »

Please come back and tell us the reaction if you learn of it.

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3983 on: August 26, 2021, 01:11:34 PM »
When I was 21, I had a job at a dry cleaners.  I worked afternoons, and my SIL would watch my kids for a few hours until DH got home.  The job had one weekday off, closed on Sundays, and every other Saturday off.  Right after I started I asked if I could have Tuesday off every week, but was told no -- had to rotate the weekday.  Not like I was asking for Monday, but fine.  First Saturday off comes around, and can't have it.  We were short staffed.  This continues for a few months.  Then we finally have 6 people and are fully staffed.  So the schedule goes up, and I'm off the next Saturday.  I book a camping trip with my family.  On Thursday, the boss changes the schedule and puts me on Saturday.  I say, I can't work.  I made plans.  She says someone quit so we are short again, so you have to work.  I was so mad.  When I went to lunch, I decided I was done and since they didn't think notice was needed, I wouldn't give them any.  I just didn't go back.  When I went in to pick up my final paycheck two weeks later, she said, "You should have stayed.  You could have the day shift now." (Two more people quit after me.)  WTF!  I didn't have childcare for a day shift.  How clueless can you be?

It's not an epic FU money story.  I went to work, because DH needed 3 crowns and our insurance only paid 50%.  I worked long enough to pay for that, and get us into a new car.

That experience was a huge part of my decision to go back to college.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3984 on: August 26, 2021, 07:47:04 PM »
When I was 21, I had a job at a dry cleaners.  I worked afternoons, and my SIL would watch my kids for a few hours until DH got home.  The job had one weekday off, closed on Sundays, and every other Saturday off.  Right after I started I asked if I could have Tuesday off every week, but was told no -- had to rotate the weekday.  Not like I was asking for Monday, but fine.  First Saturday off comes around, and can't have it.  We were short staffed.  This continues for a few months.  Then we finally have 6 people and are fully staffed.  So the schedule goes up, and I'm off the next Saturday.  I book a camping trip with my family.  On Thursday, the boss changes the schedule and puts me on Saturday.  I say, I can't work.  I made plans.  She says someone quit so we are short again, so you have to work.  I was so mad.  When I went to lunch, I decided I was done and since they didn't think notice was needed, I wouldn't give them any.  I just didn't go back.  When I went in to pick up my final paycheck two weeks later, she said, "You should have stayed.  You could have the day shift now." (Two more people quit after me.)  WTF!  I didn't have childcare for a day shift.  How clueless can you be?

It's not an epic FU money story.  I went to work, because DH needed 3 crowns and our insurance only paid 50%.  I worked long enough to pay for that, and get us into a new car.

That experience was a huge part of my decision to go back to college.
Good for you

blurkraken22

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Location: The southernmost, shallowest, and smallest by volume of the Great Lakes
  • C:。ミ
« Reply #3985 on: August 31, 2021, 07:12:28 PM »
Thanks everybody. This blog/forum has changed my savings rate from 6% to 65% in the last three years. That job would have consumed me you all didn't preach this alternative.

This is why I keep reading this thread! 65% is an amazing savings rate and go ahead and pay yourself first, you worked hard for it.

blurkraken22

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Location: The southernmost, shallowest, and smallest by volume of the Great Lakes
« Reply #3986 on: August 31, 2021, 07:23:47 PM »
Not directly at least. Of course taxes existed (albeit not in the form we think of today) and were one expense you could not not do.
But it generally was about "richer getting rich on our debts, and we get into slavery as result". That's why debt forgiveness was invented - the literal blank slate (as those old guys wrote on clay tablets) to free people out of debt slavery before you run out of people who aren't slaves. It was a constant topic for thousands of years, as you can see in the "jubilee year" of the bible.
It's quite humbling to know that one of the biggest and oldest problems humanity has is one born out of our society (or our personal souls - greed) itself. Basically only starving is more dangerous...

A reference to Debt: The First 5,000 Years? That book has percolated in my brain at a pretty deep level. I started rereadig it this year and I'm still impressed with lens change. I keep thinking of the contrast between anonymous debt that can be bought and sold by corporations versus some of the examples of native cultures where to fail to help another human in need was considered to fail as a human yourself. I have a list of books for MMM bookclub if anyone wants to join. :)

There are a small number of books that really changed how I think about humans, culture, and how we think. Debt and Thinking: Fast and Slow come to mind.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3987 on: August 31, 2021, 08:20:04 PM »

There are a small number of books that really changed how I think about humans, culture, and how we think. Debt and Thinking: Fast and Slow come to mind.

E.F. Schumacher.  Small is Beautiful: Economics as if People Mattered
E.F. Schumacher.  A Guide for the Perplexed
Saul Alinsky. Rules for Radicals
John Rawls.  A Theory of Justice
Howard Zinn.  A People's History of the United States

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3988 on: September 02, 2021, 07:19:33 AM »
Not directly at least. Of course taxes existed (albeit not in the form we think of today) and were one expense you could not not do.
But it generally was about "richer getting rich on our debts, and we get into slavery as result". That's why debt forgiveness was invented - the literal blank slate (as those old guys wrote on clay tablets) to free people out of debt slavery before you run out of people who aren't slaves. It was a constant topic for thousands of years, as you can see in the "jubilee year" of the bible.
It's quite humbling to know that one of the biggest and oldest problems humanity has is one born out of our society (or our personal souls - greed) itself. Basically only starving is more dangerous...

A reference to Debt: The First 5,000 Years? That book has percolated in my brain at a pretty deep level.
Yes and yes.
I love ethnology, so having all that background and history in one place was immensely interesting. I also recommend it for every fantasy writer. There is a lot of "weird" things and how they came to be the way they are.

btw. if you haven't read the book in my signature. For me it was "finally everything that I knew but could not put in words made into a theoretical framework".

blurkraken22

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3989 on: September 02, 2021, 09:08:50 PM »

A reference to Debt: The First 5,000 Years? That book has percolated in my brain at a pretty deep level.
Yes and yes.
I love ethnology, so having all that background and history in one place was immensely interesting. I also recommend it for every fantasy writer. There is a lot of "weird" things and how they came to be the way they are.

btw. if you haven't read the book in my signature. For me it was "finally everything that I knew but could not put in words made into a theoretical framework".

Maybe I'm doing something wrong... but I don't see a signature. :o

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3990 on: September 02, 2021, 09:51:15 PM »

Yes and yes.

@blurkraken22 - You won't until you get to 100 posts. It's a recent hurdle to cut down on spammers and other nefarious types.

blurkraken22

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3991 on: September 03, 2021, 05:35:25 AM »
@blurkraken22 - You won't until you get to 100 posts. It's a recent hurdle to cut down on spammers and other nefarious types.
So the solution is to quickly spam out another 50 posts to prove I'm not a spammer, right? ;D
@LennStar What's the book in your sig?

Dogastrophe

• Bristles
« Reply #3992 on: September 03, 2021, 06:49:19 AM »
So the solution is to quickly spam out another 50 posts to prove I'm not a spammer, right? ;D

The Dictator's Handbook: Why Bad Behavior is Almost Always Good Politics
Bruce Bueno de Mesquita and Alastair Smith

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3993 on: September 03, 2021, 07:21:08 AM »
I don't make the rules,  but as a long time forumite, I sure as hell appreciate the effect of them. The mods do a bang-up job.

Lyngi

• Stubble
« Reply #3994 on: September 04, 2021, 10:03:38 PM »
I have been unhappy at my job for years but not miserable and it had always provided a decent work life balance so I stuck around.  Once we started administering the Pfizer vaccines at the same time they cut our support staff's hours, things became miserable.  I was having to work 2 to 4 hours extra (unpaid) every day to keep up.  Several other pharmacists in my area quit, so my partner and I were having to cover eachother's vacation time or we would not be allowed to go.  So here I am working 14ish hours a day and picking up extra shifts that I have no desire to work.  I had to get on medication for anxiety and depression.
WAIT, are you my twin??  All of this.  I had the same conversation with my husband earlier this year.   I haven't had the courage to talk to my boss yet..  I'm considering stepping down after the first of the year and go part time.  I am proud of you having the guts to take control of your life.

Lyngi

• Stubble
« Reply #3995 on: September 04, 2021, 10:08:50 PM »

Oh my gosh!!!!   Your boss sounds like my boss.  Exactly why I'm afraid to say anything.   I'm not quite ready to quit, I kinda need the  health insurance.   Please keep us updated.

blurkraken22

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3996 on: September 06, 2021, 08:09:01 AM »
I don't make the rules,  but as a long time forumite, I sure as hell appreciate the effect of them. The mods do a bang-up job.
My joke was likely in poor taste. I've dealt with spammers on another forum previously and it's a huge time suck. No disrespect intended to the mods. My apologies.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3997 on: September 06, 2021, 09:14:42 AM »

Awesome.

The power of FU money!

omachi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3998 on: September 06, 2021, 03:26:39 PM »
My joke was likely in poor taste. I've dealt with spammers on another forum previously and it's a huge time suck. No disrespect intended to the mods. My apologies.
Nah, your comment was amusing. I chuckled. Spammers suck and all, but the notion of spamming to get around anti-spam hurdles is funny as long as you don't actually go on a spamming spree.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #3999 on: September 06, 2021, 03:32:05 PM »

@blurkraken22, you're going to fit right in :)