Author Topic: Epic FU money stories  (Read 2798348 times)

HMman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Think of your local tree farmer: print this post
Re: Epic FU money stories
« Reply #2750 on: July 09, 2019, 01:24:42 PM »
That's really bad management!   It's as bad as my last manager, who had me rewrite my letter of resignation 3 times to get it to his standards, and then was completely surprised I was quitting when my last day at work neared.

Uh, WTF? What kind of micromanaging asshole demands rewrites on a resignation letter? Once he's seen the letter, the necessary information has been conveyed. It doesn't need to be beautiful!

If it were me, I'd have made it shorter and more curt each time he said it wasn't good enough:

"Dear Boss: Quit. -Me"

Sounds like the Nixon approach. Short and sweet:

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2751 on: July 09, 2019, 03:15:17 PM »
I'm not sure what it says about me that I have multiple stories between me, my wife, kids, and friends, but.......

Buddy of mine is a lawyer. Upon graduating he got a good job, but then received notice that his Peace Corps application was accepted. He accepted the appointment.

PEACE CORPS: We know you want to go to China to do government consulting, but we want to send you to Micronesia where you'll teach English to children.

FRIEND: Uhhhhhhhh, no.

PEACE CORPS: But it will be like a 2 year vacation, teaching children on a beach.

FRIEND: Nope.

They relented.

While in the Peace Corps, he ended up having serious problems with the leadership his second year. He was really stressing about it, but enjoyed the work, and was making good contacts. Multiple times, he was offered jobs at different businesses, but turned them down so he could finish his tour.

Then his father died. While home on convalescence, he thought over all of the stuff he dealt with, and concluded that he'd actually been in a very hostile work environment. Wanting to just finish his tour, he was going to let it go, but then he began receiving emails while home with an annual review that was very poor, and was told he was required to sign immediately.

FRIEND: "I'm burying my father and caring for my mother. I will address this in 1 week."

PEACE CORPS: "No, you must sign it or face further consequences."

A week later he replied with points he contended with (they said he was AWOL on a day that turned out to be a Chinese Holiday, and another where he was photographed by a newspaper while working).

He strung it out for a month, extending his time at home when he found out from a friend they'd boxed up all of his personal effects and moved him to another apartment, claiming that he and his mother were too distraught. All the while he was interviewing with Chinese businesses. Upon receiving an agreeable offer, he resigned from the Peace Corps and let his new employer fly him business class to Beijing.

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #2752 on: July 09, 2019, 04:02:40 PM »
I'm not sure what it says about me that I have multiple stories between me, my wife, kids, and friends, but.......

Buddy of mine is a lawyer. Upon graduating he got a good job, but then received notice that his Peace Corps application was accepted. He accepted the appointment.

PEACE CORPS: We know you want to go to China to do government consulting, but we want to send you to Micronesia where you'll teach English to children.

FRIEND: Uhhhhhhhh, no.

PEACE CORPS: But it will be like a 2 year vacation, teaching children on a beach.

FRIEND: Nope.

They relented.

While in the Peace Corps, he ended up having serious problems with the leadership his second year. He was really stressing about it, but enjoyed the work, and was making good contacts. Multiple times, he was offered jobs at different businesses, but turned them down so he could finish his tour.

Then his father died. While home on convalescence, he thought over all of the stuff he dealt with, and concluded that he'd actually been in a very hostile work environment. Wanting to just finish his tour, he was going to let it go, but then he began receiving emails while home with an annual review that was very poor, and was told he was required to sign immediately.

FRIEND: "I'm burying my father and caring for my mother. I will address this in 1 week."

PEACE CORPS: "No, you must sign it or face further consequences."

A week later he replied with points he contended with (they said he was AWOL on a day that turned out to be a Chinese Holiday, and another where he was photographed by a newspaper while working).

He strung it out for a month, extending his time at home when he found out from a friend they'd boxed up all of his personal effects and moved him to another apartment, claiming that he and his mother were too distraught. All the while he was interviewing with Chinese businesses. Upon receiving an agreeable offer, he resigned from the Peace Corps and let his new employer fly him business class to Beijing.

Sounds about right.

VOLUNTEER: hey, I'm in a really toxic environment; I'm constantly in danger of sexual assault from my co-workers; I can't do any real work because my house is so poorly constructed that I have to work on it in order to keep living.

PEACE CORPS: well, that's Peace Corps. It's what you signed up for.

VOLUNTEER: Yeah can you just move somewhere else, or at least pay an extra $50 a month for a house that isn't falling apart.

PEACE CORPS: No. This is what you signed up for (just ignore all the promises on the website). This is just how PC is.

VOLUNTEER: Well, then I don't really have any other choice but to quit.

PEACE CORPS: *sigh of relief* here's your ticket back home. byyyyeee!

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2753 on: July 11, 2019, 08:36:28 AM »
Not really FU money ... but my current job is pissing me off and I already have another one lined up (so maybe FU experience)

I started my current job 18 months ago, it was a HUGE raise and really got me out of a toxic environment.  Current job pays well, was a move up the ladder, has decent benefits but the commute sucks, it requires travel, the work/life balance is fake, the ENTIRE office lacks personality, and I have continuously been asked to do something with no background information but then magically there are all these documents that I should have consulted (that I didn't know existed) after I have re-created the wheel and not done it to match the background documents.

I was asked a couple of weeks ago to develop a training that we could turn into an online training.  This was annoying because you could pay for this type of training right off the shelf but I was told that we want it specific to our facilities, okay whatever.  So I have spent the last couple weeks trying to figure out exactly what they want in this and utilizing prepared documents (that I had access to) pertaining to this topic.  I sent the draft of the content out yesterday before I left (early) for the day, and was feeling really good about getting things marked off my list.  This morning I have an email that says "Let's talk about this in the morning and make sure you bring the quick reference guide that the facilities have for this topic" ... I have never seen or heard about this quick reference guide and have been giving in-person training on this topic for over 18 months.  My supervisor that sent that email acted shocked when I told him I did not know what he was talking about and proceeded to try to find the quick reference guide, he also does not have a copy of it. When I asked why he didn't tell me that he wanted the training to be based on the quick reference guide in the 1st place he told me that he wanted to see what I would come up with on my own. The part that I have "missing" in the training is a very specific formula that the company developed internally several years ago to determine if a specific step needs to be taken. Apparently, in this quick reference guide is the only place that the formula is listed.

Now I have wasted 2 weeks putting this thing together and it doesn't have the information in it that they wanted, because I was never given this information.  Beyond that I have given training for this topic in-person 4 different times and the reference has never been brought up.  My supervisor starts asking why I didn't look though the box of stuff from the person that had my job before.  UMMM, because there is no box and it is your responsibility to make sure I am "trained" for my job or at least have access to the documents required to do my job, specifically if they pertain to an exact topic that I am asking you about!

I have submitted 4 week notice (because I feel like 2 weeks is too short to not burn bridges) and will be going to a different job that pays even better, has a 9/80 schedule, better commute, doesn't require travel, and I just got an email from my new supervisor that shows that the work/life balance isn't fake and that he has a personality.  Getting the email from my future boss at the same time as I was dealing with this crap from my current boss really made me just want to walk out.

jps

• Bristles
« Reply #2754 on: July 11, 2019, 09:09:16 AM »
Not really FU money ... but my current job is pissing me off and I already have another one lined up (so maybe FU experience)

I started my current job 18 months ago, it was a HUGE raise and really got me out of a toxic environment.  Current job pays well, was a move up the ladder, has decent benefits but the commute sucks, it requires travel, the work/life balance is fake, the ENTIRE office lacks personality, and I have continuously been asked to do something with no background information but then magically there are all these documents that I should have consulted (that I didn't know existed) after I have re-created the wheel and not done it to match the background documents.

I was asked a couple of weeks ago to develop a training that we could turn into an online training.  This was annoying because you could pay for this type of training right off the shelf but I was told that we want it specific to our facilities, okay whatever.  So I have spent the last couple weeks trying to figure out exactly what they want in this and utilizing prepared documents (that I had access to) pertaining to this topic.  I sent the draft of the content out yesterday before I left (early) for the day, and was feeling really good about getting things marked off my list.  This morning I have an email that says "Let's talk about this in the morning and make sure you bring the quick reference guide that the facilities have for this topic" ... I have never seen or heard about this quick reference guide and have been giving in-person training on this topic for over 18 months.  My supervisor that sent that email acted shocked when I told him I did not know what he was talking about and proceeded to try to find the quick reference guide, he also does not have a copy of it. When I asked why he didn't tell me that he wanted the training to be based on the quick reference guide in the 1st place he told me that he wanted to see what I would come up with on my own. The part that I have "missing" in the training is a very specific formula that the company developed internally several years ago to determine if a specific step needs to be taken. Apparently, in this quick reference guide is the only place that the formula is listed.

Now I have wasted 2 weeks putting this thing together and it doesn't have the information in it that they wanted, because I was never given this information.  Beyond that I have given training for this topic in-person 4 different times and the reference has never been brought up.  My supervisor starts asking why I didn't look though the box of stuff from the person that had my job before.  UMMM, because there is no box and it is your responsibility to make sure I am "trained" for my job or at least have access to the documents required to do my job, specifically if they pertain to an exact topic that I am asking you about!

I have submitted 4 week notice (because I feel like 2 weeks is too short to not burn bridges) and will be going to a different job that pays even better, has a 9/80 schedule, better commute, doesn't require travel, and I just got an email from my new supervisor that shows that the work/life balance isn't fake and that he has a personality.  Getting the email from my future boss at the same time as I was dealing with this crap from my current boss really made me just want to walk out.

Sounds like a great opportunity to escape a bad situation! Nice work.

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2755 on: July 11, 2019, 09:46:10 AM »

will be going to a different job that pays even better, has a 9/80 schedule, better commute, doesn't require travel, and I just got an email from my new supervisor that shows that the work/life balance isn't fake and that he has a personality.  Getting the email from my future boss at the same time as I was dealing with this crap from my current boss really made me just want to walk out.

A little comedy bit about working at a place where you gave notice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHgNMJviO6I

Enjoy and good luck.

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #2756 on: July 12, 2019, 04:00:36 AM »
I'm a medical contractor. Last company I contracted with, my contact was full of passive aggressive shenanigans. But since I really only had to put up with him twice per job, I didn't care more than actually getting a 401k match. Until he had the audacity to try to drop me as a contractor with little fanfare. I was pretty annoyed, but not enough to go out of my way to spend effort to complain. They'd lost me as a client; punishment given. And Jobs get thrown at me constantly by multiple companies as it is. But then his company emailed me asking for feedback.

Well, if you're going to go email me for feedback... I gave full blown with names, and Facebook and text references. Would have attached a photo file if I could. And that I would go out of my way to not recommend them ever to any one of my fellow contractors.

Phone started blowing up, all the paperwork I'd requested weeks before showed up, and then I get an email. Pretty please would I talk to Mr. Passive Aggressive. I replied, "You made it very clear you didn't wish to work with me anymore. I agree with that decision. Thank you."

And that was the end of that. Bridge burned and I don't care.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2757 on: July 12, 2019, 01:23:55 PM »
I'm a medical contractor. Last company I contracted with, my contact was full of passive aggressive shenanigans. But since I really only had to put up with him twice per job, I didn't care more than actually getting a 401k match. Until he had the audacity to try to drop me as a contractor with little fanfare. I was pretty annoyed, but not enough to go out of my way to spend effort to complain. They'd lost me as a client; punishment given. And Jobs get thrown at me constantly by multiple companies as it is. But then his company emailed me asking for feedback.

Well, if you're going to go email me for feedback... I gave full blown with names, and Facebook and text references. Would have attached a photo file if I could. And that I would go out of my way to not recommend them ever to any one of my fellow contractors.

Phone started blowing up, all the paperwork I'd requested weeks before showed up, and then I get an email. Pretty please would I talk to Mr. Passive Aggressive. I replied, "You made it very clear you didn't wish to work with me anymore. I agree with that decision. Thank you."

EPIC. Thanks for sharing!

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2758 on: July 12, 2019, 05:45:48 PM »
I just started a new job after FU-ing the last job, which was awful. The new job seems easy, with no responsibility and good pay. However, there's a VERY high staff turnover and most of the staff seem frustrated with what is definately an old fashioned system. There's constant negativity. I find it kind of amusing, partly because of my last employment experience and partly because my area of activity in the new job is dealing with incident reports at prisons and corrections centers nationally. The kind of incidents I get would make any job seem like a breeze. For instance, at no point today has anyone spat in my mouth, or punched me in the head multiple times, or stabbed me in the eye with their finger, or broken my arm.

Anyone who works in a shitty, stressful environment, who can leave, should leave. I just wanted to share my new found perspective on stressful jobs!

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2759 on: July 12, 2019, 05:58:30 PM »

Nice! Some bridges need to be burned - bad actions need to have consequences if there's to be any hope of a healthy workplace.

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #2760 on: July 13, 2019, 04:24:34 AM »

Nice! Some bridges need to be burned - bad actions need to have consequences if there's to be any hope of a healthy workplace.

As far as I can tell, Mr. p.A. still works with them but he seems? Quieter? On the Traveling Contract Facebook group I mentioned in the feedback email.

So maybe I've helped that Facebook group out at least

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2761 on: July 17, 2019, 07:14:02 PM »
Co-worker of mine at a family run business took on the kind of responsibility you want an employee to take on. He was traveling to see customers, putting in good amounts of billable hours, and the business' biggest client considered him "part of the team."

While he was making a couple hundred thousand for the company, he was only making $40k.

Meanwhile, I'd be in meetings where they were saying the guy wasn't that great an employee. Basically, they were worried he'd ask for what he was worth in year 2. What they didn't know is that he had two other gigs going.

Becoming unhappy with the situation, he gave 2 months notice. They talked about just firing him, but decided they'd make him suffer by only having him work 24 hours a week, and pay him 40% less; that way he could go to the big clients, but get paid less. Well, it turned out the guy had never once called in sick, took a vacation day, or used credit hours (there was no OT, just credit), so when the timesheets came in, he was allocating those hours. They were totally pissed, and actually OWED HIM money when he left!

When he left, it was to go hiking for the month - mostly daily jaunts on different trails.

2 years later, the epic FU came. He sent us all invitations to his house warming.

"Hmmpph. Probably a gift grab," someone said.

Invitation specifically said, NO GIFTS.

Of the 12 invites, I was the only one who went. They couldn't stand the idea that he ended up doing just fine without them.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 03:08:08 PM by A Fella from Stella »

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2762 on: July 17, 2019, 10:43:58 PM »
We hear about entitlement mentality with regard to public assistance quite a bit, but this type of entitlement mentality really bugs me. Here is someone who is making the family owned company money, and they don’t reward it or celebrate it. Maybe they even begrudge it a little. And then when the guy is doing fine without them, they hold it against him. What kind of messed up situation is that? 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2763 on: July 17, 2019, 11:47:24 PM »
We hear about entitlement mentality with regard to public assistance quite a bit, but this type of entitlement mentality really bugs me. Here is someone who is making the family owned company money, and they don’t reward it or celebrate it. Maybe they even begrudge it a little. And then when the guy is doing fine without them, they hold it against him. What kind of messed up situation is that?
Sounds like the good ol' green-eyed monster.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2764 on: July 18, 2019, 06:17:48 AM »
I think the entitlement mentality applies to people in lots of situations, not just those on public assistance.  I, for one, have to check myself occasionally, even though I'm fully employed and self-sufficient.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2765 on: July 18, 2019, 07:35:45 AM »
I'm willing to bet those family owners aren't the founder of the company.  They are probably 2nd or 3rd generation, 3rd-rate people who have it better than their merits deserve due to their inheritance.   Deep down they know it and someone with real competence working near them just makes the contrast between their inadequacy and the other person's ability that much clearer.  Being 3rd-rate people, they don't take that as a challenge to better themselves so they put down the other person instead.

Explains a lot about today's world in the country I live in.

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2766 on: July 18, 2019, 08:07:51 AM »
I'm willing to bet those family owners aren't the founder of the company.  They are probably 2nd or 3rd generation, 3rd-rate people who have it better than their merits deserve due to their inheritance.   Deep down they know it and someone with real competence working near them just makes the contrast between their inadequacy and the other person's ability that much clearer.  Being 3rd-rate people, they don't take that as a challenge to better themselves so they put down the other person instead.

Explains a lot about today's world in the country I live in.

That's an incredible insight. Supposedly, "Big Al" was a generous guy who loved giving a well-earned bonus. "Middle and Little Al" were the opposite. They hated that someone else might make money, and even fired a guy for bringing in a huge client at an initially discounted rate, saying it was because he cost them $80,000..........even $1,000,000 later.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2767 on: July 18, 2019, 11:26:04 AM »
I dunno, it's weird.  My sister is an office manager for an insurance company.  Has been for decades.  She's really good at it.  15 years ago or so, her boss gave her the opportunity to get certified to do insurance sales.  It was a small office at that point, with two owners / insurance salesmen, and two office workers.

Well, she got certified, and turned out that she was good at it!  When it came time to pay her the $400 commission for her first sales, they balked.  And decided that she needed to stay as the office manager.  She got mad but never did fight it much (not a lot of jobs in the rural community).  Actually, eventually they built a prison nearby, so she got a job there.  Spent a week managing inputs for prisoners, twice the power went out and she was locked in a room with prisoners (it was a state prison, so... bad people.) 

That was enough for her.  She called her boss, they were desperate without her, so she got her job back WITH health insurance (no, she'd never had it before, was always on her husband's insurance, but he was out of a job soon, so they needed insurance.)

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2768 on: July 18, 2019, 11:37:06 AM »
Wow, the boss who burned her bridges after her protectors were gone, sound so much like an old boss of mine. She bragged about having dirt on people, making someone else effectively resign to an honorary only job. She was trying behind the scenes to get the head of the department she was in demoted or gone. She made it plain she wanted to move to administrative role and be the head. So while she had her sources for gossip and dirt, she also made a lot of enemies. Even during my time some people refused to work with her.

After I got pregnant it became a very hostile work situation, and she ended up (after much verbal abuse and harrasment) firing me in a pique post-baby. While I did have people coming out of the wood work after I was fired to hear my story, I wanted to move on and didn't gossip (though I did file a complain with eeoc). Anyways around 3 years after I had left, I heard she was gone. I never heard why exactly. As she was always saying discriminatory things in earshot of people which was ignored, someone more powerful than her probably ended up using everything that ended up in her file against her to force her out. Never did get that administrator role that she wanted (understatement!). 

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #2769 on: August 02, 2019, 01:13:46 AM »
Thought I'd add my own, despite not having any serious FU money or having to say FU to work. Last week I came out as transgender at work to little excitement. Having enough money to cover my debts and enough job skills to find some remote work if need be helped me to get over the whole lack of employment protection concern I had. You might say I said FU to being closeted instead.

Also, to be both foamy and on topic, my bosses were all kinds of supportive in helping me get enough things sorted out before making the big announcement. This let me relatively focus on work without them simply cracking the whip.

Maybe epic in that I have a 4.5 year old update to this. Over this time span, I've remained at the same web hosting company, have become a locally known trans activist, and now have solid FU money. At an upbeat company wide meeting, I asked the CEO what the company's plans were for handling customers who are potentially dangerous to myself and other employees. I got to watch the CEO and CFO squirm in front of an audience trying to address the question, and practically feel the breathlessness in the room. I also now have a direct in with the CFO to air further concerns. I have my transition and my activism work to thank for my spine, and FU money as a safety net.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2770 on: August 02, 2019, 01:29:06 AM »
Thought I'd add my own, despite not having any serious FU money or having to say FU to work. Last week I came out as transgender at work to little excitement. Having enough money to cover my debts and enough job skills to find some remote work if need be helped me to get over the whole lack of employment protection concern I had. You might say I said FU to being closeted instead.

Also, to be both foamy and on topic, my bosses were all kinds of supportive in helping me get enough things sorted out before making the big announcement. This let me relatively focus on work without them simply cracking the whip.

Maybe epic in that I have a 4.5 year old update to this. Over this time span, I've remained at the same web hosting company, have become a locally known trans activist, and now have solid FU money. At an upbeat company wide meeting, I asked the CEO what the company's plans were for handling customers who are potentially dangerous to myself and other employees. I got to watch the CEO and CFO squirm in front of an audience trying to address the question, and practically feel the breathlessness in the room. I also now have a direct in with the CFO to air further concerns. I have my transition and my activism work to thank for my spine, and FU money as a safety net.
What a splendid update.  Congratulations to all of it.

sea_saw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2771 on: August 02, 2019, 02:57:09 AM »
YES! Amazing work.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #2772 on: August 02, 2019, 04:22:19 AM »
^Impressive, @fantabulous!

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2773 on: August 02, 2019, 08:31:27 AM »

Congratulations!  I can't even fathom the guts that must have taken to do that.  Another reason we should all be striving for FU Money!

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2774 on: August 02, 2019, 09:38:10 AM »

Is there more background to this?  It sounds like your company was supportive then you needlessly put them on the spot with a difficult question out of nowhere in front of everyone?

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2775 on: August 02, 2019, 10:37:31 AM »
We live in a world with a lot of people that think that discrimination and outright violence towards LGBT+ people is A-OK, and the LGBT+ people and allies have gotten tired of pretending it isn't a problem. Additionally, more and more people are getting tired of bad behavior in the workplace and in business relationships in general. Those of us that do not have to tolerate toxicity have an obligation to speak up for people who don't have that freedom.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2776 on: August 02, 2019, 10:43:30 AM »

Is there more background to this?  It sounds like your company was supportive then you needlessly put them on the spot with a difficult question out of nowhere in front of everyone?
What on earth about the question "how do you keep your employees safe" is supposed to be difficult?  If it's difficult, it's because the company is not doing the job it should be and making sure its employees are safe at work, and with Trump's policies and rhetoric in relation to transpeople the issue of safety is more pertinent for them now than ever.   Not having an answer is a big red flag and I'm glad @fantabulous' company seems to be recognising that.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2777 on: August 02, 2019, 11:01:01 AM »
We live in a world with a lot of people that think that discrimination and outright violence towards LGBT+ people is A-OK, and the LGBT+ people and allies have gotten tired of pretending it isn't a problem. Additionally, more and more people are getting tired of bad behavior in the workplace and in business relationships in general. Those of us that do not have to tolerate toxicity have an obligation to speak up for people who don't have that freedom.

I agree with all of that.

What on earth about the question "how do you keep your employees safe" is supposed to be difficult?  If it's difficult, it's because the company is not doing the job it should be and making sure its employees are safe at work, and with Trump's policies and rhetoric in relation to transpeople the issue of safety is more pertinent for them now than ever.   Not having an answer is a big red flag and I'm glad @fantabulous' company seems to be recognising that.

Is there a history of danger from customers at the company?  An upbeat meeting seems like a weird time to bring that up out of nowhere, if it isn't something that was attempted to get addressed previously, which is why I was wondering if there was more backstory to it.  If I was working at a web hosting company (which usually has zero in-person interaction with customers) I'd probably be caught off guard by that question too.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2778 on: August 02, 2019, 11:04:44 AM »

One of the main reasons I am trying to reach FI is so that i can avoid people who try to put me on the spot.

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #2779 on: August 02, 2019, 11:22:24 AM »

Hate sites the company hosts and the credible doxxing threat from customers who host these sites came to light at the company recently. This is a company with phone/email based support, and not a self service provider. While this is the first time I spoke directly to the executives about it, I had already spoken to managers about the need for policy. Whether that be updating the company's terms of services, flagging potentially dangerous accounts, etc, there was very little in place. I gave a face to the real human cost of "just business", and notably forced them to address the issue to rank and file employees. There wasn't any avoiding putting them on the spot, save for sitting down when I needed to stand up for my coworkers who weren't in a position to do so. It was still a very measured question I posed, because I know how to shoot for the goal of change rather than merely embarrassment. A reminder that as part of my update, I now have the CFO's ear in these matters in addition to managers.

Edit to add: While I had planned throughout the meeting to speak up, I likely would have continued pursuing less public channels if the concerns were addressed to any degree at the meeting. They were not.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 04:44:27 PM by fantabulous »

minimustache1985

• Stubble
« Reply #2780 on: August 02, 2019, 11:27:32 AM »

Agreed, and many companies don’t have a real answer.  I’m a cis woman who had a national customer rep threaten to spank me and had a good laugh.  My company told me to avoid being alone with that rep- they didn’t do squat, they weren’t going to risk the account and our HR couldn’t do anything to another company’s employee.  Thankfully I only had to interact with the jerk a few times a year, and my verbal response to the incident was enough to dissuade him from continuing to say crap like that to me.  I don’t think this guy would have actually laid a hand on me, but it was clear that if he did it would have been my problem.

My FU was deciding to become a SAHM, which we could do because of saving hard before having our son, though I left the company on good terms with an extended notice to transition accounts before departing, and didn’t actually tell anyone to F off.

@fantabulous it’s wonderful you’re able to have that influence and stand up for not only yourself but those who may otherwise feel forced to put up with it to keep food on their tables.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2781 on: August 03, 2019, 09:00:27 AM »
seems like a weird time to bring that up out of nowhere

I really appreciate the education I'm getting from the MeToo movement and the LGBQT and the BLM activist movements.  I'm just a regular person, but am starting to realize all the ways I've been socialized to think certain behaviors are normal, if not okay.  I'm now starting to realize that we all have to think different and that's hard to do.  Bottom line:  it's not okay to NOT have a plan for the safety of all your employees.  It doesn't sound as if @fantabulous was aggressive, just trying to call attention to the need for a plan right now. 

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2782 on: August 03, 2019, 11:02:40 AM »

Hate sites the company hosts and the credible doxxing threat from customers who host these sites came to light at the company recently. This is a company with phone/email based support, and not a self service provider. While this is the first time I spoke directly to the executives about it, I had already spoken to managers about the need for policy. Whether that be updating the company's terms of services, flagging potentially dangerous accounts, etc, there was very little in place. I gave a face to the real human cost of "just business", and notably forced them to address the issue to rank and file employees. There wasn't any avoiding putting them on the spot, save for sitting down when I needed to stand up for my coworkers who weren't in a position to do so. It was still a very measured question I posed, because I know how to shoot for the goal of change rather than merely embarrassment. A reminder that as part of my update, I now have the CFO's ear in these matters in addition to managers.

Edit to add: While I had planned throughout the meeting to speak up, I likely would have continued pursuing less public channels if the concerns were addressed to any degree at the meeting. They were not.

Thanks for the follow up!  I knew there had to be more to the story.  That makes total sense and I commend you for insisting on safety for everyone.

Siebrie

• Stubble
« Reply #2783 on: August 12, 2019, 08:20:05 AM »
I was hired as Admin (Legal) 11 years ago, by a boss who the interim agency described as 'difficult', so I upped my requested salary by $700/month, and she agreed :) (I should have asked for more). The job was fulltime and permanent from day one. I was trained for a week by the guy that was leaving (his 6-month temp job wasn't prolonged), then I worked on my own for a week, then I had to train my new colleague Admin. We work for the Department (proofreading, layout, filing, corporate housekeeping, Board of Directors support, odd jobs for boss directly).

I worked for that boss for 6 years, and I had 5 Admin colleagues in that time; they all left more or less quickly due to my difficult boss. I could not leave, because my boyfriend/fiance/husband was still studying or in lowpaying jobs, we had two children (2x16wks paid maternity leave), and bought a house, and we needed my income. Then, my boss was fired! Joy!

No boss for 6 months, the whole Department (4 lawyers at different levels of seniority) lightened up. New boss for 2 years, until she got promoted back to her old company (European-American MSA affair). Wonderful boss, great fun to work for, but she thought I was her PA .....

In the meantime, husband has work experience and changes jobs twice, and now earns a normal income (nothing crazy, but decent). Also, in the meantime, company is acquired by Chinese, and company culture changes from family business vibe to strictly commercial/no mercy.

New boss comes in, thinks I'm her PA only, gives my Admin colleague a well-deserved promotion, and then doesn't replace her! I'm now on my own, trying to handle a workload even the two of us couldn't handle, working with a boss who refuses to hear that I'm not happy booking her private family vacation flights and visas to China when there is a proper work backlog. I hate booking flights, I'm a much better proofreader and librarian then I am a travel agent. Boss works from home two days a week, travels a lot, and when in the office, is in meetings all the time.

I run the numbers with husband; we will be able to cope on his salary alone, and he's behind me if I want to leave. I decide to stop pandering to boss, and will make my own list of priorities, and a list of items I'm not able to handle due to not enough time. Then, I find an email on the company printer: boss thinks I'm not loyal and am slacking, and wants to fire me (printed by HR! Who I have taught each one individually how to use secure print!). I have a bad night's sleep, but husband supports me, I start calling law firms, unions, and social security organisations to get all my ducks in a row, and wait for the exit interview. I clear my computer and desk, and collect private contact info of the few colleagues I would like to stay in touch with.

Interview comes, I am still in shock, but at least don't have the first wave of emotions and manage to handle it well. I hand in my phone and laptop immediately, to no longer be connected to them. Second meeting with HR a week later to discuss severance pay and I manage to negotiate 11 months pay (1 month for every year I worked there), outplacement services on top from reputed agency (by law, they have to offer, but only basic, and they can deduct it from the severance pay), health insurance until the end of the year, glowing letter of recommendation, certificate that I was fired due to a reorganisation (which allows me to claim unemployment benefits later).

I have now been home for 3 months and am destressing. The outplacement project has started, but I'm not really in a rush to start working again; I'd like to go back to University and finish my MA. The house is finally properly clean, kids are happy that I can pick them up and have the energy to play and discuss things eith them, husband is happy that he can now fully concentrate on his carreer (he picked dds up fromschool and cooked every night), I have time to contact old friends, and just walk outside as soon as the sun shines.

9 months later: we still haven't touched the payout money. We are living off of dh's salary, but slowly eating our other savings, so it's time for me to start jobhunting, or rather jobbaiting :) A lady I know has just started a non-profit, with government subsidy and lobbygroups' subsidy, to aid garage owners to test and sanatize the soil underneath their properties. I'll set up the admin/office management part, think up procedures for persuading and tracking the participants, and then plan to leave when the stressful part of actually contracting comes :)

I have enjoyed being at home, day trips, reading (so much reading!), gardening, and a fortnight in Austria with the four of us. Spending the full summer break with my daughters is fun!

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2784 on: August 20, 2019, 11:23:36 AM »
Cousin of mine just told me this story:

He's working for a small machine shop run by a nice family. One day it snows (it doesn't snow often where he lives), so he calls in and says he's going to stay home since there'll be little-to-no work because trucks they expected to come in would be delayed. The boss says he'll pick him up.

"No," cousin says, "I'll just take a day off to be with my kids."

Next day his boss confronts him about why he really didn't come in. My cousin said he didn't want to miss this chance to be with his kids in the snow. Boss called him a liar.

And then he quit.

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2785 on: August 20, 2019, 12:40:06 PM »

He's working for a small machine shop run by a nice family. One day it snows (it doesn't snow often where he lives), so he calls in and says he's going to stay home since there'll be little-to-no work because trucks they expected to come in would be delayed. The boss says he'll pick him up.

Next day his boss confronts him about why he really didn't come in. My cousin said he didn't want to miss this chance to be with his kids in the snow. Boss called him a liar.

And then he quit.
that is pretty epic.....can't say I'd like to work for someone that thinks calling me a liar is appropriate.  OTH, if there was work that needed doing, not coming in because you want to play in the snow is unfair to a small family business - they can't been their commitments.

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2786 on: August 20, 2019, 01:51:43 PM »

And then he quit.
that is pretty epic.....can't say I'd like to work for someone that thinks calling me a liar is appropriate.  OTH, if there was work that needed doing, not coming in because you want to play in the snow is unfair to a small family business - they can't been their commitments.

He was specifically told work they expected wasn't going to be there, and that everyone else was there anyway (boss picked them up). Maybe the boss had a fun thing going on that he was excited about. Can't say. All I know is that my cousin said he was very confused about how it escalated like it did, but felt certain that leaving was the right thing to do.

He's been a SAHD dad for 8 months now and said he's never felt more fulfilled. I'm so happy for him because he's such a good dude.

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2787 on: August 20, 2019, 01:53:22 PM »

Agreed, and many companies don’t have a real answer.  I’m a cis woman who had a national customer rep threaten to spank me and had a good laugh.  My company told me to avoid being alone with that rep- they didn’t do squat, they weren’t going to risk the account and our HR couldn’t do anything to another company’s employee.  Thankfully I only had to interact with the jerk a few times a year, and my verbal response to the incident was enough to dissuade him from continuing to say crap like that to me.  I don’t think this guy would have actually laid a hand on me, but it was clear that if he did it would have been my problem.

I'm female and over 50.  With a 7 year exception (female run and focused workplace) I've always worked in male dominated fields.  I don't have a single epic FU story, but I have countless stories of male customers/co-workers thinking they could touch/insult/threaten me just because I'm a girl. Thanks to my FU money I frequently felt able to push back and did (one or two situations were dangerous and focusing on getting to safety was paramount, the pushback for those came later).  At several workplaces I was even able to speak up and protect younger/less able female co-workers. 

More of us (and not just those of us who are viewed as potential victims) should be asking companies what their plans are to protect employees.  Way to go Fantabulous!

Aside from loving your name, I'm also going to share this with my oldest, who has some sweet cash set aside, and has so far just had good workplace experiences.

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2788 on: August 20, 2019, 03:21:40 PM »

And then he quit.

He was specifically told work they expected wasn't going to be there, and that everyone else was there anyway (boss picked them up). Maybe the boss had a fun thing going on that he was excited about. Can't say. All I know is that my cousin said he was very confused about how it escalated like it did, but felt certain that leaving was the right thing to do.

He's been a SAHD dad for 8 months now and said he's never felt more fulfilled. I'm so happy for him because he's such a good dude.
Boss is just a jackass I guess....got what he deserved

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2789 on: August 21, 2019, 02:39:00 AM »
My experience is that some people are really weird about just being prudent and cancelling when the weather is terrible. If boss had to pick multiple people up, then the roads were obviously not in good enough shape for people to feel comfortable driving . . . it wasn't just your cousin. Which means it was unsafe driving conditions, and thus people in non-emergency jobs should stay home. Period. It's not like your cousin is an ICU nurse.

If the roads are bad enough that I don't feel comfortable driving myself, then I am actually much more uncomfortable being in a vehicle driven by someone else because I grew up in a heavy snow climate and I am excellent at driving in snow. So boss had some control issue going on there, at a minimum, and good for your cousin to escape the lack of respect for normal boundaries.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #2790 on: August 21, 2019, 06:13:37 AM »
Not sure if this is Epic FU but had a talk with DW yesterday because she is overworked because of her extra effort because I had an accident last year (and 2 kids who need special attention and a job where her boss is a yelling micromanager). The work schedule (only weekends in the late evening) wreaks havoc on her sleep schedule and the mondays are hell because of it.
I told her not to worry, we've got the stash and absolutely no need for her to keep the job because of my income. She also said she wanted to go back into healthcare but wanted to take a few months before doing so which is fine.

So, we made the choice and she's going to resign this weekend, take some time to re(dis)cover  herself and then find something she would like to do. Whether it being paid or not.

We also discussed my job, as i've got combined job (basically 2 jobs, 9 hours a week for one and 27 hours a week for the other at the same employer) with different and sometimes conflicting priorities. This was a compromised promotion because I get to do some of the work of the higher paid job but am mainly active in the lower paid job. I do get paid based on the higher job though so it'll be a small drop in salary (which is also fine).
So, I'm going to ask my boss if I can drop the 9 hours of the higher job and just keep myself busy full time in the simpler job.

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2791 on: August 21, 2019, 10:25:24 AM »
Not sure if this is Epic FU but had a talk with DW yesterday because she is overworked because of her extra effort because I had an accident last year (and 2 kids who need special attention and a job where her boss is a yelling micromanager). The work schedule (only weekends in the late evening) wreaks havoc on her sleep schedule and the mondays are hell because of it.
I told her not to worry, we've got the stash and absolutely no need for her to keep the job because of my income. She also said she wanted to go back into healthcare but wanted to take a few months before doing so which is fine.

So, we made the choice and she's going to resign this weekend, take some time to re(dis)cover  herself and then find something she would like to do. Whether it being paid or not.

We also discussed my job, as i've got combined job (basically 2 jobs, 9 hours a week for one and 27 hours a week for the other at the same employer) with different and sometimes conflicting priorities. This was a compromised promotion because I get to do some of the work of the higher paid job but am mainly active in the lower paid job. I do get paid based on the higher job though so it'll be a small drop in salary (which is also fine).
So, I'm going to ask my boss if I can drop the 9 hours of the higher job and just keep myself busy full time in the simpler job.

While not epic or FU, it's still good.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #2792 on: August 21, 2019, 12:07:11 PM »

While not epic or FU, it's still good.

The FU is there though, if only non-verbally to my wife's boss. They are already short-handed and are now losing their last capable worker. They even resorted to putting the driver behind the grill.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2793 on: August 26, 2019, 05:24:43 PM »

I am so glad to be done and finally really FIRE'd.   

Ah, this whole thing gave me the warm and fuzzies.  Congrats!

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2794 on: August 26, 2019, 05:40:45 PM »

Side note, for fun I came in extra early today and watched every single one of my co-workers come in later than they should and watched them leave after putting in only about 7 hours.  As I said, I was following the rest of the staff with my comings and goings and it was nice to prove that she was out of line

I really liked this part.  Feels like something I would do to keep myself entertained.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2795 on: August 26, 2019, 06:53:13 PM »
Way to go, MissNancyPryor!

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2796 on: August 27, 2019, 05:54:29 AM »
So I did today.  Color me D.O.N.E. 

Heartiest congratulations! Theres nothing so satisfying as quitting a job in such a definite and dramatic way!

AO1FireTo

• Stubble
« Reply #2797 on: August 27, 2019, 06:23:01 AM »

I quit. 

She freaked out.  She refused to accept my resignation.   

Must feel so good to have that option.  Sitting there listening to nonsense and have the option to just say, OK, I'm out of here.  To me that's why FI is important, I gives you freedom, you are no longer a slave to the economic system.  Well done!!!!

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2798 on: August 27, 2019, 08:58:46 AM »
She then ham-handedly turned the topic to my hours.  She said she noticed I only worked 7 hours a day and I really need to work 8.

I quit. 

She freaked out. 

Love this.

I wonder if, somewhere on the internet, there's a forum where bosses post stories like this from the other side. "In the middle of the regular review of one of my reports, it got a bit awkward because I had to tell her she wasn't working the required hours--and she just up and quit! Can you believe it?"

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2799 on: August 27, 2019, 11:00:14 AM »
She then ham-handedly turned the topic to my hours.  She said she noticed I only worked 7 hours a day and I really need to work 8.

I quit. 

She freaked out. 

Love this.

I wonder if, somewhere on the internet, there's a forum where bosses post stories like this from the other side. "In the middle of the regular review of one of my reports, it got a bit awkward because I had to tell her she wasn't working the required hours--and she just up and quit! Can you believe it?"

Its an interesting point... so our the poster isn't performing the job well and both the boss and poster understand this.  But maybe attendance is the boss's short term plan to make job performance ok.  Butt in seat time based jobs seem to be very common in large organizations.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!