Author Topic: Epic FU money stories  (Read 2795078 times)

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Epic FU money stories
« Reply #1900 on: November 03, 2017, 06:01:14 PM »
I don't know if this involved FU money, but I hope so. Someone on their last day at Twitter shut down 45's account. It stayed down for eleven minutes.

That's brilliant. That guy has earned some serious good karma.

He put his ideology above the mission of his company, and in the process took a swipe at a sitting US president. Yeah, brilliant.

This post made me laugh. I seriously could not give even the faintest flying crap about the mission of my company. I only spout their silliness because they pay me to do so. I'm actually all about my personal ideology. I really can't imagine the kind of person who wouldn't be this way! Equally, I don't have the slightest care or respect for the office of the president of the US or any other title that supposedly connotes authority. I take people as I find them and your president I find to be an A grade twat. I'm equally likely to be as disrespectful to the local minister, the chief of police or a surgeon, if I dislike them. If it suits me to be superficially polite and charming and respectful, I'll play the game. If not, I won't. Here we are on a site that actively encourages bucking the system. I'm astounded that most people who have posted about this twitter thing can't see the value in subversive acts. Especially essentially HARMLESS subversive acts. What twitter guy did was quiet resistance, that didn't hurt anyone, and I applaud him for it.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #1901 on: November 03, 2017, 07:13:15 PM »
Can we not ruin one of the best threads on the forum with stupid political bullshit?

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #1902 on: November 03, 2017, 07:53:57 PM »
Can we not ruin one of the best threads on the forum with stupid political bullshit?

+1

Take your political fights out of this thread!!!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 07:56:25 PM by CowboyAndIndian »

Kakashi

• Stubble
« Reply #1903 on: November 03, 2017, 09:58:12 PM »
I'd hire him. He's got personal integrity and balls of steel. I like people that won't sit around letting crap happen and are prepared to burn something to the ground to make a point. It's not a bad thing NOT to be a yes-sir-no-sir monkey. These are the people that make things happen. The guy's just got to find himself a field where being the square peg is the advantage. I speak as a very experienced square peg. What used to be described as 'trouble maker' and 'stirrer' is now 'brought in to change the corporate culture' and 'cutting out the deadwood'.

I once worked as a cleaner at a church that was a little too celebratory of 'white culture', if you know what I mean.  On the day they had a scheduled a festival of said 'white culture', a festival months in the organising, with renowned guest speakers on the subject of 'white culture', I filled every lock in the building with glue. Of course, they just called the locksmiths and the festival went ahead, but I got more than 11 minutes of annoyance for the bastards!

That's called vandalism. 

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1904 on: November 03, 2017, 10:13:28 PM »
I don't know if this involved FU money, but I hope so. Someone on their last day at Twitter shut down 45's account. It stayed down for eleven minutes.

What are you talking about?  The guys name is going to be released.  Future employers will not hire him due to the fact that if he ever leaves he may fuck up something at their organization.  Boy he sure showed them...all of 11 minutes.  What a douche monkey.

I agree.....would never hire this guy.  Sorry, but extremely unprofessional...

+1. It is one thing to be able to leave a crappy job and have FU money to back it up, which I think what we are celebrating here.

It is a whole different conversation when one destroy his/her work or do damages as walking out the door. This is vandalism and illegal, and that company can press charges. If you are that unhappy with you job, just leave. Why risk losing FU money - if the company press charges, I am sure hiring a lawyer are not cheap. Not to mention possibility of fine and/or jail time. How is that going to look in a resume...

And yes, no need for political rant here - there is a thread for that.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1905 on: November 04, 2017, 03:01:54 AM »

What are you talking about?  The guys name is going to be released.  Future employers will not hire him due to the fact that if he ever leaves he may fuck up something at their organization.  Boy he sure showed them...all of 11 minutes.  What a douche monkey.

+1. It is one thing to be able to leave a crappy job and have FU money to back it up, which I think what we are celebrating here.

It is a whole different conversation when one destroy his/her work or do damages as walking out the door. This is vandalism and illegal, and that company can press charges. If you are that unhappy with you job, just leave. Why risk losing FU money - if the company press charges, I am sure hiring a lawyer are not cheap. Not to mention possibility of fine and/or jail time. How is that going to look in a resume...

But Twitter guy didn't exactly destroy anything (the account was recovered in full) and did limited damage (the account was recovered within minutes).  Easier to argue he did Twitter a favour by pointing out how poor their internal security was - for which reason I suspect the chances of them taking any action against him are non-existant.

Also, if they did try to take action, I predict that Twitter guy would have lawyers lining up to argue that he properly took down an account which contravened Twitter rules against harassing people or issuing death threats.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1906 on: November 04, 2017, 03:59:34 AM »
I apologise for the political rant. Wasn't really intended as a political rant. I don't care enough about politics even in my own country to truly rant. Anyhoo, the comments on this twitter thing are funny and I'm highly amused by the whole situation.

fredbear

• Stubble
« Reply #1907 on: November 04, 2017, 04:46:11 AM »
That's called vandalism.

I've known of two cases of this.  One was a librarian guy in a data-delivery company, passive aggressive to extremes.  You would never have known, based on his unctuous smiles and nervous head-nods, that he was poisonously aggrieved, and we had us a semi-active Bartleby in our office.  He never said a word about whatever was bothering him.  Never to management, never to friends (he did not seem to have any at work.)  He lined up another job, and wipedisked his hard drive.  And no, the company did not have a good backup policy, and ended up going to one of those data-recovery outfits, which failed, so it lost his work plus his part of team tasks.  I would class his replacement job as a form of FU money.

The other was a sadder case, which I think was attributable to a lack of FU money.  It was a startup, and had the usual employees-are-kleenex attitude.  But it was the best job she had ever had (she had a worthless profligate husband and a family to support), and by her conduct she made sure it would be the best job she would ever have.  She desperately needed the job, and when the company worked the flush handle and many of us were circling the toilet bowl, she locked herself in her office, sobbing, and cut up the floppy disks containing the company's QA program with a scissors.  (This was a long time ago, and an irony was that the company was one of the very first to be putting data on optical disks, but was still operating based on floppies.) 

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1908 on: November 04, 2017, 08:19:29 AM »

But Twitter guy didn't exactly destroy anything (the account was recovered in full) and did limited damage (the account was recovered within minutes).  Easier to argue he did Twitter a favour by pointing out how poor their internal security was - for which reason I suspect the chances of them taking any action against him are non-existant.

Also, if they did try to take action, I predict that Twitter guy would have lawyers lining up to argue that he properly took down an account which contravened Twitter rules against harassing people or issuing death threats.

I am not a lawyer, and not going to argue with you if this guy "didn't exactly destroy anything" or did, or if his "limited damage" is actually doing Twitter a favor or not.

Maybe he will have lawyers lining up pro-bono to defend him, maybe he won't, and have to spend money to defend himself. Considering Twitter has a lot more money to burn than this guy, I think we all agree if Twitter press charges, sue him, take him to court, successful or not, it can make life very difficult for this guy, right? So how is this exactly a good thing for this guy? Not to mention that I think some company will not hire him from this - I know I would not. This is not a behavior that should be rewarded imo.

I wonder how this will play out in court, if it goes that far. IMO feels a little like Robin Hood: your honor, I only rob the bank so I can give the money to the poor. If one use this type of argument, then he will not end up in jail? I think not :)

Lets go back to the topic at hand, ok?  :D

COEE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1909 on: November 04, 2017, 09:56:21 AM »
So let's get this back to good FU stories!  I've got another one - after posting one just a few pages back!

So I've been unemployed for 6 months now.  At around the 4 month mark I got a call from a company for an interview.  The job was an extremely close match on paper.  I had 10 years experience doing exactly what they needed.  I went in and had a mediocre one hour interview with a panel of about 8 people.  To my surprise the next week they made me an offer for about 70% of my market value!  I've literally known them for all of one hour, and they are making me an offer to work for them (Red flag #1)!  This company, come to find out, was awful.  Their stock, once traded at $250/share was now trading for 5 shares for a penny (Red flag #2).  Horribly mismanaged by all accounts.  I had no tour of the building (red flag #3), no meeting with the people to really get to know that it was a good fit from a chemistry perspective (red flag #4), and no chance to really understand what they wanted me working on in the first 90 days (red flag #5).  Glassdoor reviews were awful - one even says, "Get ready. I'm sure the IRS will be coming for you soon for all your shady dealings. Loose lips sink ships. A lot of employee's won't have any issue telling the Feds their true stories."  (red flag #6).  The job also came with a shitty 25 minute commute on a good day (red flag #7) and shitty benefits (red flag #8).

The extremely poor offer (red flag #9) was the final straw.  I wanted out of this deal bad.  However, I had to be careful because if I refused an offer I could potentially lose my unemployment benefits.  So I negotiated for 100% of my market rate, additional training (~$5k worth), and an additional week of vacation.  Honestly, this was a great deal for both parties - I figured I'd do the job and keep my resume floating around and be ready to jump ship when the right thing came along.  They declined my counter offer, and decided that they were going to look for other candidates.  Phew!  Got out of that one by the skin of my teeth.

During our negotiations the HR person I was working with said they've been talking with other people with twice the experience that wanted less than I did.  I said, "What are you talking to me for then?"  I really wish I could have seen her face when I said that - we were on the phone.  But the truth is that they still haven't found anyone.  I saw they posted the job again 8 days ago - for much less than what they offered me (40% to 60% of the going rate) - they'll never find someone with 5+ years of experience stateside for that salary.

I'm considering posting interview information to glassdoor about my awful experience as well.  Probably also encouraging their current employees to leave if they are making that kind of money.  I mean, I've heard of C grade companies, but I really think they were trying to take advantage of me and seeing if I was hungry.  Thank god for FU money!

I've got one more FU story - but I'll save it for another day.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #1910 on: November 04, 2017, 10:10:34 AM »
I am not a lawyer, and not going to argue with you if this guy "didn't exactly destroy anything" or did, or if his "limited damage" is actually doing Twitter a favor or not.

Maybe he will have lawyers lining up pro-bono to defend him, maybe he won't, and have to spend money to defend himself. Considering Twitter has a lot more money to burn than this guy, I think we all agree if Twitter press charges, sue him, take him to court, successful or not, it can make life very difficult for this guy, right? So how is this exactly a good thing for this guy? Not to mention that I think some company will not hire him from this - I know I would not. This is not a behavior that should be rewarded imo.

I wonder how this will play out in court, if it goes that far. IMO feels a little like Robin Hood: your honor, I only rob the bank so I can give the money to the poor. If one use this type of argument, then he will not end up in jail? I think not :)

Three paragraphs about whether the Twitter quitter's actions will get him in trouble, and then "Let's get back to the topic at hand"?  I can support "Let's get back to the topic", but not "Here's my opinion, you guys can't give yours."

I wasn't going to comment until now.  Here goes:

1. This thread is for epic FU money stories.  The original poster stipulated that the money part is unknown.  Arguments against the Twitter quitter have basically been "she's wrong" or "she'll be in trouble" or "I wouldn't hire her"... but no one has asserted it isn't epic.
2. Regardless of what side of the aisle you're on, if quitting your job makes thousands of random people on the internet talk about it, and your feat involves the Leader of The Free World, it's probably epic.
3. If that one's not epic, the bar's being set pretty high.

Also - some people fall into the Lawful Good camp, others are Chaotic Good.  Sounds to me like the Chaotic Good are arguing (between gleeful guffaws) that it's an epic prank, while the Lawful Good are harrumphing that it's Not Lawful At All.  I'm inclined to acknowledge the difference and accept the submission on the basis that the poster felt it was epic, because neither the Lawful nor Chaotic are going to agree about the specifics.  I'd rather have an inclusive thread than one that rules too many stories out.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 10:12:44 AM by Bicycle_B »

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1911 on: November 04, 2017, 12:34:36 PM »
.....3paragraph  snip"..........

Three paragraphs about whether the Twitter quitter's actions will get him in trouble, and then "Let's get back to the topic at hand"?  I can support "Let's get back to the topic", but not "Here's my opinion, you guys can't give yours."

yet another snip

Also - some people fall into the Lawful Good camp, others are Chaotic Good.  Sounds to me like the Chaotic Good are arguing (between gleeful guffaws) that it's an epic prank, while the Lawful Good are harrumphing that it's Not Lawful At All.  I'm inclined to acknowledge the difference and accept the submission on the basis that the poster felt it was epic, because neither the Lawful nor Chaotic are going to agree about the specifics.  I'd rather have an inclusive thread than one that rules too many stories out.

Happy to see what I perceive as a D&D reference in 2017.

+1 on the "I can support "Let's get back to the topic", but not "Here's my opinion, you guys can't give yours.""

Right or wrong, POTUS  or not ( think CEO , garden variety), still Epic, my vote.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1912 on: November 04, 2017, 03:06:35 PM »

1. This thread is for epic FU money stories.  The original poster stipulated that the money part is unknown.  Arguments against the Twitter quitter have basically been "she's wrong" or "she'll be in trouble" or "I wouldn't hire her"... but no one has asserted it isn't epic.
2. Regardless of what side of the aisle you're on, if quitting your job makes thousands of random people on the internet talk about it, and your feat involves the Leader of The Free World, it's probably epic.

+1 on all counts.  This is absolutely an epic FU money story whether you agree with the twitter employee's actions or not.  Same as that flight attendant who took a beer, opened the emergency door, and rode to freedom. 

jordanread

« Reply #1913 on: November 04, 2017, 03:40:54 PM »

+1 on all counts.  This is absolutely an epic FU money story whether you agree with the twitter employee's actions or not.  Same as that flight attendant who took a beer, opened the emergency door, and rode to freedom.

I vaguely remember something about that, but now I need to find it again.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1914 on: November 04, 2017, 04:46:17 PM »

I vaguely remember something about that, but now I need to find it again.

It was a good yarn but I think he was a recovering alcoholic so not the best in that way.

Apple_Tango

• Bristles
« Reply #1915 on: November 04, 2017, 08:51:58 PM »
I'm in traveling healthcare, and because of my stash I am able to take long breaks between assignments without too much worry. Today was my last day and I got questioned about 100 times from my coworkers about what I was doing next. A few were a little wide eyed when I smiled ear to ear and said "I'm unemployed!!"

Every contract starts out promising and I think "This is a nice place! Maybe I can stay here" but then after about 3 months I am just pacing in my cage waiting to run away as soon as the door opens. And now I'm free!!!!!!!  It's not really an epic FU story, but it allows me to keep building my stash and not be afraid of the insecurity of the job schedule I have. Honestly since I graduated with my degree I have not been able to keep a full time job for more than 9 months. Not because I'm a bad employee! I still have standing offers for pretty much any job I have ever left (the fact that ALL of them are still unfilled or have high turnover should tell you something). I am just counting down the years to FIRE. But these long breaks let me breathe a little bit. And seek needed medical and dental care lol. A vacation to go to the doctor!

The plan this time is just to get a part time job over the holidays, now that my health insurance is coming through COBRA for a few months. My expenses are so low that even with a part time job I should be able to increase the 'stache.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 08:54:29 PM by TravelingCheddar »

farfromfire

• Stubble
« Reply #1916 on: November 05, 2017, 02:49:11 AM »
Anticipatory FU story coming in:

My wife and I moved recently and last year she wasn't able to have Christmas with her family. This year, they're flying out and we'll spend some time with them; the first Christmas she'd have spent with them in a few years, and their first time visiting us.

She asked off for the 26th of December and was denied PTO - back over three months ago. So she's going to call out sick. If they fire her, so be it. It's ridiculous that with so much notice, in her line of work, she "can't" take that time off when family is in town. We've got the cash to deal with her getting fired if that's what happens. Feelsgoodman
Though it's great you guys can afford this, it's insane tht a single PTO day does not get approved, even when requested months in advance. Any decent vacation would end up including a Tuesday after all. What line of work is she in?

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #1917 on: November 05, 2017, 03:08:34 PM »
These aren't my stories but here goes.

When I worked at a newspaper in the late '90s, one of the reporters got fed up and just basically left. He said he had enough money to live on until he found something else. He was only in his 20s so I wondered how the heck he'd managed to save that much money.

This is an FU story. An online acquaintance was working for a college. Apparently her boss was a real witch, and one day, she just snapped and walked out. She really didn't have any money to speak of. The best part was: She sent a letter through the college's email system to the entire staff and faculty, telling everyone how horrible the witch was. (Update: A few years later, she is poor but happy. Inherited a little bit of money, can collect social security, and works small jobs. Just moved to the city of her dreams).

I have an online pen pal who worked in the insurance industry for a long time. She said she saved for a rainy day, and when it rained it poured. When she lost her job, she spent two years looking for another, and never found one. She never went back to work and doesn't have to. She's only 55. I wish I knew her secret...

Well, that last one really wasn't an FU story, but...

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1918 on: November 07, 2017, 07:14:04 AM »

My wife and I moved recently and last year she wasn't able to have Christmas with her family. This year, they're flying out and we'll spend some time with them; the first Christmas she'd have spent with them in a few years, and their first time visiting us.

She asked off for the 26th of December and was denied PTO - back over three months ago. So she's going to call out sick. If they fire her, so be it. It's ridiculous that with so much notice, in her line of work, she "can't" take that time off when family is in town. We've got the cash to deal with her getting fired if that's what happens. Feelsgoodman
Though it's great you guys can afford this, it's insane tht a single PTO day does not get approved, even when requested months in advance. Any decent vacation would end up including a Tuesday after all. What line of work is she in?
Employer won't give workers days off around christmas? I'm going to guess retail.

GnomeErcy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1919 on: November 07, 2017, 10:11:34 AM »

Employer won't give workers days off around christmas? I'm going to guess retail.

Logistics

farfromfire

• Stubble
« Reply #1920 on: November 07, 2017, 11:15:46 AM »

Logistics
That's very sad, how's someone supposed to maintain their sanity in such an environment? Needless to say, this story is in complete contrast to Linda_Norway's thread on the topic of vacation days among US employees, and confirms my suspicion that MMMers aren't exactly representative of the general public...

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1921 on: November 07, 2017, 04:11:39 PM »

Logistics
That's very sad, how's someone supposed to maintain their sanity in such an environment? Needless to say, this story is in complete contrast to Linda_Norway's thread on the topic of vacation days among US employees, and confirms my suspicion that MMMers aren't exactly representative of the general public...
This whole Christmas time off thing makes me remember something.  So, my big sis has been working at the same insurance company (small town, she's the office manager) for 30+ years now.  There are now 4-5 ladies working at the office for the two insurance salesmen.  In any event, my sister gets first dibs on vacation time (and while her pay is crap, she gets 5 weeks off a year - way better than me).  So she always chooses the same week at Christmas.

That means nobody else gets to take it.  Or only one other person.  We had a convo once and she said that she gets first pick because of seniority.  But the funny thing is, second in seniority is a woman who has been there ONE YEAR LESS.  So this lady basically gets screwed every year.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1922 on: November 07, 2017, 04:27:55 PM »
^^Karma's a bitch.^^

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1923 on: November 08, 2017, 02:31:38 AM »

Logistics
This whole Christmas time off thing makes me remember something.  So, my big sis has been working at the same insurance company (small town, she's the office manager) for 30+ years now.  There are now 4-5 ladies working at the office for the two insurance salesmen.  In any event, my sister gets first dibs on vacation time (and while her pay is crap, she gets 5 weeks off a year - way better than me).  So she always chooses the same week at Christmas.

That means nobody else gets to take it.  Or only one other person.  We had a convo once and she said that she gets first pick because of seniority.  But the funny thing is, second in seniority is a woman who has been there ONE YEAR LESS.  So this lady basically gets screwed every year.

That's the biggest downside for me of working at a small company. Only one person can take a vacation at the time and in those type of companies there's often a strong hierarchy. Which means if you're the new person (and you can be the new person for 10 years) you're basically screwed. I'm lucky that my coworkers don't care about christmas, so I get to take the week between christmas and NYE off, but I didn't have a summer holiday. Coworkers have kids, so they want to spend that time with their kids (understandably) and I'm stuck in the office working overtime for the entire summer.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1924 on: November 08, 2017, 07:41:09 AM »

That's the biggest downside for me of working at a small company. Only one person can take a vacation at the time and in those type of companies there's often a strong hierarchy. Which means if you're the new person (and you can be the new person for 10 years) you're basically screwed. I'm lucky that my coworkers don't care about christmas, so I get to take the week between christmas and NYE off, but I didn't have a summer holiday. Coworkers have kids, so they want to spend that time with their kids (understandably) and I'm stuck in the office working overtime for the entire summer.

Wow... I understand the hierarchy thing and trying not to have more than one person on vacation at one time but I am surprised that matter during Christmas time. Unless a company is doing retail, I do not see how other business can be that busy during Christmas.

I used to work for a large company, and around Christmas, we probably have 10% staff around Christmas with nothing to do for those who come in to work. Not only the managers are on vacation, but our clients are on vacations too, so nothing gets done even if we want to.

Sorry I am going off on a tangent. I now definitely appreciate more that I can take time off pretty much anytime I want.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1925 on: November 08, 2017, 07:47:51 AM »
^^Karma's a bitch.^^

I'm confused by this comment unless all the other ladies are mean and awful.

I would never take Christmas week off personally. That is a waste of a vacation week since there is hardly ever any work to do, and crowds everywhere. I'd rather use vacation for when other people are working.

Guesl982374

• Bristles
« Reply #1926 on: November 08, 2017, 09:41:42 AM »
I would never take Christmas week off personally. That is a waste of a vacation week since there is hardly ever any work to do, and crowds everywhere. I'd rather use vacation for when other people are working.

I am the same way (for now). What changes the math is when you have kid(s) that are out of school.

But I agree. For your typical cube dweller the week or so around Christmas is where you can work half the time and accomplish twice the amount of work (no interruptions).

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1927 on: November 08, 2017, 10:21:15 AM »
^^Karma's a bitch.^^
I'm confused by this comment...
She could share or alternate. She's using her seniority to tilt the playing field. The fact that the next senior person is only slightly less senior kinda makes it sound like she revels in her seniority,  which is not pretty or kind, hence Karma.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1928 on: November 08, 2017, 10:27:29 AM »
Imma, the fall is a lovely time to travel. Could you plan something for then so you have something to look forward to in the dog days of summer? I used to go to DC a lot. The best time was in early September. Lovely weather, no lines, and shoulder season rates. The kids were back in school and hadn't had time to plan their rampages field trips yet. It was heavenly.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1929 on: November 08, 2017, 11:15:14 AM »
^^Karma's a bitch.^^
She could share or alternate. She's using her seniority to tilt the playing field. The fact that the next senior person is only slightly less senior kinda makes it sound like she revels in her seniority,  which is not pretty or kind, hence Karma.

ohhhh you mean it WILL get her. I thought you meant Karma was a bitch to the lady who couldn't take vacation. Maybe I'd better head back to bed.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1930 on: November 08, 2017, 11:22:57 AM »
^^Karma's a bitch.^^

ohhhh you mean it WILL get her. I thought you meant Karma was a bitch to the lady who couldn't take vacation. Maybe I'd better head back to bed.

I read it the same way you did. The clarification made much more sense  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1931 on: November 08, 2017, 11:24:29 AM »
Imma, the fall is a lovely time to travel. Could you plan something for then so you have something to look forward to in the dog days of summer? I used to go to DC a lot. The best time was in early September. Lovely weather, no lines, and shoulder season rates. The kids were back in school and hadn't had time to plan their rampages field trips yet. It was heavenly.

One of the great joys of FIREing is that we have discovered that the worker bees have a very fixed window to enjoy a whole lot of opportunities when it comes to recreation and tourism, and since you are post-unemployed, you get to enjoy the best places during the times when the masses have to stay chained to their desks.  We relocated to the heart of the Amish country in PA, earlier this year. We had been visiting the area for two decades, and had a huge concern about moving to a place that sees eight million tourists a year. We had spend many Saturdays in years past, crawling in tourist traffic, and didn't want to turn that into a lifestyle. After a few months of being here, and unwinding a bit, we finally figured out that the ONLY time our neighborhood sucks is from about 10AM to 6PM on Saturdays, from mid-spring to Christmas. That is less than 10% of the time, and we now have a very good handle of every farm road, and back alley in the land, and how to use them to get around the lines of out of state cars that stack up on those days. We just smile when people from out of town say, "you live in a beautiful place, but oh, God, that traffic".

We have also used this concept as we spent a few years roaming around the states in our motorhome, and rarely did anything the would potentially involve crowds on a weekend, or peak times. We made darn sure to find quiet places to hide on the big summer holidays. The wonderful world of RVing can really turn to shit on holidays like the 4th of July, when the campgrounds are 110% full. Occasionally full of families with a litter of screaming little brats and a $300 pop-up camper that blew two tires on the way there. Due to awesome parenting and social skills, they then decide that the way to address the sugared up, screaming little spawn, at 11pm, is to make the bonfire bigger, kick up the drinking a notch, and turn up the sorry-assed country music they and half the county are "enjoying". The amazing part is that, by the last week of August, chucklenuts like this are long gone, and great places are very lightly attended. If you really want your experience to be wonderful and uncrowded, push the limits and get there a week or two before the places are about to roll up the sidewalks for the winter.  Places like the Black Hills, SD, or the coast of Maine, absolutely kick ass in the second half of September, and 80% or more of the crowds are gone. Yellowstone is another great example. They have been setting attendance records every year, and by noon on a typical mid-summer day, the place looks like a street in Manhattan. Get there the week after labor day, and it's like another planet. Without kids to accommodate, being able to take time off in fall and spring is a gift.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1932 on: November 08, 2017, 11:58:50 AM »
^^Karma's a bitch.^^

Well, it hasn't gotten her yet.  Honestly, she quit her job for a better one once.  They begged her to stay.  She lasted a week at the new job.  Asked to go back.  They hired her back as if she never left AND started paying for her health insurance (small office, nobody got health insurance back then).  Because...she's honestly better at the job than anyone else.

Actually, I think 2-3 years ago Lady #2 quit, because she was sleeping with the (married) boss and the truth came out.  When it comes to Karma, my sister has way more good karma than the rest of the office, even with claiming the same week at Christmas. 

saguaro

• Stubble
« Reply #1933 on: November 08, 2017, 12:39:51 PM »

[ If you really want your experience to be wonderful and uncrowded, push the limits and get there a week or two before the places are about to roll up the sidewalks for the winter.  Places like the Black Hills, SD, or the coast of Maine, absolutely kick ass in the second half of September, and 80% or more of the crowds are gone. Yellowstone is another great example. They have been setting attendance records every year, and by noon on a typical mid-summer day, the place looks like a street in Manhattan. Get there the week after labor day, and it's like another planet. Without kids to accommodate, being able to take time off in fall and spring is a gift.

ITA on this.  Spring and fall are the times that DH and I typically travel and we plan things around when schools are in session.  This is also means we avoid the spring break weeks as well. 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1934 on: November 08, 2017, 12:39:07 PM »
I don't think Dicey was claiming anywhere near enough knowledge of your sister to say she wasn't valued, or didn't have positive karma, or whatever.

Just that it'd be a nice thing sometimes to let others have it as well, even if it's her "right" to claim it.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1935 on: November 08, 2017, 02:08:48 PM »
I don't think Dicey was claiming anywhere near enough knowledge of your sister to say she wasn't valued, or didn't have positive karma, or whatever.

Just that it'd be a nice thing sometimes to let others have it as well, even if it's her "right" to claim it.
Thanks, ARS. You nailed it.

But the funny thing is, second in seniority is a woman who has been there ONE YEAR LESS. So this lady basically gets screwed every year.
Uh, I'm responding to what you wrote about your sister.

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #1936 on: November 08, 2017, 02:11:03 PM »
But I agree. For your typical cube dweller the week or so around Christmas is where you can work half the time and accomplish twice the amount of work (no interruptions).

I would prefer that too but my boss insists on closing the office for 2 whole weeks at Christmas. So everyone is forced to take leave then. It sucks. Really it's just another example of my boss being a micromanaging control freak.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1937 on: November 08, 2017, 02:41:05 PM »

I would prefer that too but my boss insists on closing the office for 2 whole weeks at Christmas. So everyone is forced to take leave then. It sucks. Really it's just another example of my boss being a micromanaging control freak.

My boss-man basically closes the company down between xmass and new years; everyone gets paid holiday time.  Then we can take vacation to fill in any gaps to preceding/following weekends.  Basically the thinking is we would be getting nothing done anyway with all external contacts on vacation and half the company otherwise also gone.  It is a good perk.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1938 on: November 08, 2017, 02:56:23 PM »
^^Karma's a bitch.^^

I agree rockstache. That was my Christmas time vacation policy while working. We would typically take long lunches that week with whoever was around. Call it "team building" if you'd like.

However, there was one year where an overeager and overbearing boss started asking around the room who would be in that week. I figured that would mean he would load us with extra work, so I made a game time decision during that meeting to take the week off. It was a good decision.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 06:40:44 PM by Daisy »

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1939 on: November 08, 2017, 03:02:32 PM »

One of the great joys of FIREing is that we have discovered that the worker bees have a very fixed window to enjoy a whole lot of opportunities when it comes to recreation and tourism, and since you are post-unemployed, you get to enjoy the best places during the times when the masses have to stay chained to their desks. . . . 

. . . If you really want your experience to be wonderful and uncrowded, push the limits and get there a week or two before the places are about to roll up the sidewalks for the winter.  Places like the Black Hills, SD, or the coast of Maine, absolutely kick ass in the second half of September, and 80% or more of the crowds are gone. Yellowstone is another great example. They have been setting attendance records every year, and by noon on a typical mid-summer day, the place looks like a street in Manhattan. Get there the week after labor day, and it's like another planet. Without kids to accommodate, being able to take time off in fall and spring is a gift.

I absolutely LOVE traveling in September because typically the weather in the US/Europe is still quite pleasant and there are far fewer tourists around.  Best spots I've been in September include Lake Tahoe, the Montana/Wyoming/South Dakota national and state parks (yes, paddedhat, including the Black Hills!), Italy, Greece, and Portugal. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE September vacations!

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1940 on: November 08, 2017, 04:18:46 PM »

Perhaps a good example of having FU money... you can walk away from this sucky job....

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #1941 on: November 08, 2017, 04:31:57 PM »

Perhaps a good example of having FU money... you can walk away from this sucky job....

;) soon. I'm working on it. Sticking it out at the moment as it's bearable. But once I get my long service leave paid out, I'll be looking seriously. It probably won't be epic though.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 05:08:59 PM by Rowellen »

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1942 on: November 08, 2017, 08:33:58 PM »
I absolutely LOVE traveling in September because typically the weather in the US/Europe is still quite pleasant and there are far fewer tourists around.  Best spots I've been in September include Lake Tahoe, the Montana/Wyoming/South Dakota national and state parks (yes, paddedhat, including the Black Hills!), Italy, Greece, and Portugal. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE September vacations!
We homeschool our kids, and my work schedule is flexible, so we have the freedom to travel when we want as well.  Last time, we hid Disney World in late January/early February.  The weather was beautiful (cool in the morning, warm but comfortable in the afternoon), the crowds were light, and the hotel rates were cheaper :)

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1943 on: November 09, 2017, 12:42:10 PM »

;) soon. I'm working on it. Sticking it out at the moment as it's bearable. But once I get my long service leave paid out, I'll be looking seriously. It probably won't be epic though.

Sometimes the epic part is NOT throwing a fit and quitting. I am very proud of the fact that I haven't decked my manager yet. That self control is entirely due to FU money (it's better for me long term right now to stay where I am while job searching).

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #1944 on: November 09, 2017, 02:08:47 PM »

Sometimes the epic part is NOT throwing a fit and quitting. I am very proud of the fact that I haven't decked my manager yet. That self control is entirely due to FU money (it's better for me long term right now to stay where I am while job searching).

That is true. The position is very convenient and the pay is nice. It's not really the job from hell.  I'm just really bored and my boss is a micromanager. I really shouldn't complain. I restrain from throwing my computer at my boss's head.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #1945 on: November 09, 2017, 02:36:02 PM »
That is true. The position is very convenient and the pay is nice. It's not really the job from hell.  I'm just really bored and my boss is a micromanager. I really shouldn't complain. I restrain from throwing my computer at my boss's head.
Real purpose of laptop docking stations - makes throwing the computer at boss' head a little more difficult.

jlcnuke

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1946 on: November 09, 2017, 03:18:50 PM »
^^Karma's a bitch.^^

I always take Christmas week off. With company holidays, I'm using 3 days of PTO this year to take 11 days off in a row. I like to maximize my "overall" time off by combining PTO with paid holidays to get the most "bang" for my PTO.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1947 on: November 09, 2017, 03:49:57 PM »

Oh yes. Tomorrow is going to strain my self control to some extent. However, I will not throw the laptop at the manager. I will also not tell the manager that she's a control freak.

Edit:
Heard from one recruiter, that company wants me to do a 2nd interview when they normally only do 1sts. Because they've got multiple teams fighting to make me an offer and they don't know which team I'd do best at.

Got a voicemail from another recruiter, call her. Ok, I'll call her. Because that's the company I really prefer, and if they want a 2nd interview, I'll make it happen.

Send good thoughts please....
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 08:13:30 PM by Sibley »

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1948 on: November 09, 2017, 08:44:36 PM »

Oh yes. Tomorrow is going to strain my self control to some extent. However, I will not throw the laptop at the manager. I will also not tell the manager that she's a control freak.

Edit:
Heard from one recruiter, that company wants me to do a 2nd interview when they normally only do 1sts. Because they've got multiple teams fighting to make me an offer and they don't know which team I'd do best at.

Got a voicemail from another recruiter, call her. Ok, I'll call her. Because that's the company I really prefer, and if they want a 2nd interview, I'll make it happen.

Give 'em hell!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1949 on: November 09, 2017, 09:04:21 PM »
Consider it done.