Author Topic: Epic FU money stories  (Read 2795111 times)

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
Re: Epic FU money stories
« Reply #1850 on: October 09, 2017, 10:30:36 AM »
This is along the lines of FU Money leading me to tell, not ask. I used to be so terrified of losing my crappy temp jobs or doing the slightest thing wrong that when my grandfather passed over a weekend, I wanted to wait until Monday to ask if I could take time off to go down for the funeral.

Now I set my own hours to a certain extent, which I've never received official permission for. I just started showing up later and waited until somebody mentioned it. Nobody has.

I used to wear sneakers on the subway and change into flats at work. Then I started keeping my sneakers on at my desk and only changing into flats for meetings. Now I wear sneakers all day, every day. I've noticed people looking at my feet, but what are they going to do? Fire me?

The biggest change is mindset. I no longer obsess about getting the highest performance rating or making sure my bosses think I'm perfect. I don't stay late, I don't work through lunch, and I refuse last-minute work requests made on Friday afternoons. What are they gonna do? Fire me?

Unfortunately, I had to be very close to FI before realizing my position of strength and capitalizing on it. I had FU money for a long time before I started acting like it. This was largely because I don't have a BA and thought I wouldn't be able to find anything else. What I didn't realize was how high my performance was compared to the average employee. I could cut waaay back on the stress and still do well. By being less stressed out, I ended up networking more effectively without even trying.

Now I'm about to quit my cushy, stable job with nothing lined up so I can go a-wandering!

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1851 on: October 09, 2017, 11:21:53 AM »
^This. Great example of epic, MJ. I'm now in the same boat and it feels so good.

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1852 on: October 09, 2017, 11:43:58 AM »
"partying like its 1959" type of activities
I'm intrigued.  How exactly did folks party in 1959?

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #1853 on: October 09, 2017, 11:50:47 AM »
"partying like its 1959" type of activities
I'm intrigued.  How exactly did folks party in 1959?
Well, at least one did it very wrong - made some racist comments at a bar the legislators frequent and wound up being forced to resign.

Aegishjalmur

• Bristles
« Reply #1854 on: October 09, 2017, 03:02:22 PM »
I don't have stories of my own, but some of these are hilarious.

http://www.askamanager.org/2017/09/spectacular-resignation-stories-share-in-the-comments.html

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1855 on: October 16, 2017, 12:27:04 PM »

Huh. Every place I've ever worked, IT end up being the tail wagging the dog, holding the entire place to ransom essentially for some ridiculous process. I once had to cancel an exam because nothing worked and the IT dept were in their weekly meeting. I mean, screw 200 students and staff, because 10 people have to have a meeting..... And this was an exam they knew about in advance because I'd contacted them to make sure everything was operational!
Just a note: many IT people deal with people who regularly describe the problem as "nothing works".  I was lucky enough early on in my career to have a very gentle IT Pro explain to me that "Nothing Works" didn't help him identify the problem and that I needed to use more descriptive sentences. 

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #1856 on: October 16, 2017, 12:36:04 PM »

Huh. Every place I've ever worked, IT end up being the tail wagging the dog, holding the entire place to ransom essentially for some ridiculous process. I once had to cancel an exam because nothing worked and the IT dept were in their weekly meeting. I mean, screw 200 students and staff, because 10 people have to have a meeting..... And this was an exam they knew about in advance because I'd contacted them to make sure everything was operational!
Just a note: many IT people deal with people who regularly describe the problem as "nothing works".  I was lucky enough early on in my career to have a very gentle IT Pro explain to me that "Nothing Works" didn't help him identify the problem and that I needed to use more descriptive sentences.
On the "you're going to have to tell me more than that" front - I just got asked in the elevator "What's the status on that request <Person who no longer works here> made 2 months ago?".  I replied "What was it about?".  Answer "I don't remember, and it is none of the things you found in your email from this person and sent to me".

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1857 on: October 16, 2017, 12:59:34 PM »

On the "you're going to have to tell me more than that" front - I just got asked in the elevator "What's the status on that request <Person who no longer works here> made 2 months ago?".  I replied "What was it about?".  Answer "I don't remember, and it is none of the things you found in your email from this person and sent to me".

Well, the answer to this one should be pretty straightforward.  "Oh, now I remember.  We found it was user error and everything is working exactly as it should now."  :)

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1858 on: October 16, 2017, 01:24:47 PM »

Well, the answer to this one should be pretty straightforward.  "Oh, now I remember.  We found it was user error and everything is working exactly as it should now."  :)
User error :)

Abe Froman

• Stubble
« Reply #1859 on: October 16, 2017, 02:02:44 PM »

Me:   "It's a PEBKAC Issue."
Them: "Pebkac? What is a pebkac?"
Me: "Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair"

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1860 on: October 16, 2017, 02:06:29 PM »

Or possibly the I D ten T error.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1861 on: October 17, 2017, 08:52:02 AM »

Or possibly the I D ten T error.

Don't laugh too much. I handle the software for my department, and I mentally sort people into 4 categories for when we're doing anything with the program (setup, install, etc):

1. Ok unless the program melts down.
2. Needs instructions, ok unless big problems
3. Needs detailed instructions and reassurance, can't handle problems
4. Just do it for them.

We also upgraded to a new version recently, so are sorting out the new bugs, etc. Of course, the one person getting hit with the most bugs is also FIRMLY in category 4. Anytime they have a problem, I have no idea if it's user error or an actual problem. So far, we're 50/50. It just takes a lot more time for me to figure out.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #1862 on: October 17, 2017, 09:22:39 AM »
Please, can we get back to FU stories?

Create a new thread if you wish to complain about IT.

Again, please take your IT threads elsewhere.

Can someone post a great FU Story?

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1863 on: October 17, 2017, 10:12:02 AM »
Here is a potential story, not exactly FU money but FU options.  This is still unfolding so we will see what happens.

I have been at my current company for just over 2 years and they were bought by a new company about 3-4 months ago.  Of course the new company came in talking about how awesome they are but that is not how it is turning out to be.  About 1.5 months into this turnover my supervisor (who was completely incompetent at his job) was either fired or walked out.  If you ask anybody that I have worked with for the last 2 years I should have had that position for a long time and would be the correct person for the job.  Instead they gave it to a person, that due to my previous supervisors incompetence, had a much bigger interaction role with the new company than I did.  This person has zero experience in my field and, although they previously wanted somebody with a Master's, will not finish a Bachelor's until Dec (in a completely unrelated role).  I would probably be much more accepting of this if they would have at least interviewed us both for the position and that person just had a better interview but that is not what happened, they didn't interview anybody they just assigned the role.  A few weeks later the new company is giving out everybody's new title, pay band, etc and the title/pay band/etc that I am given is entry level (we have administrators that received the same as I did), this wouldn't be an issue if I was actually an entry level employee but I have over a dozen years experience in my field and since my new supervisor does not know anything about my field or what my previous supervisors field is, I will need to pick up the slack.  I basically told them that I flat out refuse to accept that title/pay band.  A couple weeks have gone by and they have returned with a new title and pay band but I feel it is a half ass attempt to make me shut up.  I also feel like they are not going to try very hard to make me happy because I am 4 months pregnant and they do offer a pretty good maternity leave, I have told them that I really don't want to have to look for a new job as a pregnant woman.

Meanwhile,  I have contacted my previous company to inquire about any openings that they might have.  I am expecting a call back something this week.  When I originally called them the conversation was about them finding me a role that would be a promotion. I am really hoping that I get a call today or tomorrow that will allow me to walk out.  I went this route vs new resumes because my previous company has been known to re-hire people and not start their years of service over, which means that getting maternity leave should be pretty simple.  They also allow for telecommuting on occasion, my old schedule included at least 1 day/week at home.

Additionally, my husband runs a business but has maintained a CDL just in case.  A CDL is very handy to have because you almost always can find a job.  His business is starting to slow down for the winter so last night he sent out a few resumes and already started to receive responses today.  I make more than he probably will with the CDL but the benefits of living off one income means that if I get pissed off enough I can still walk out, knowing that one of us will be able to pick up work pretty quick.

For us a job is required for insurance purposes.  I am 4 months pregnant and DH has MS. We can make lots of things work with what is in savings but insurance is not one that I am willing to pay completely out of pocket for, and we would not qualify for a subsidy at this point in the year.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1864 on: October 18, 2017, 07:20:55 AM »
Commercial Driver's License?

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1865 on: October 18, 2017, 02:26:35 PM »

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #1866 on: October 18, 2017, 02:39:14 PM »
Good for you and your husband, NicoleO.  May fortune smile on you.  You are earning it.  Also, best wishes for a healthy pregnancy.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1867 on: October 19, 2017, 04:57:48 AM »
Several years ago, the Old Company (OC) I worked for was acquired by New Company (NC).

OC hired highly qualified and experienced people that were managed by even more highly qualified and experienced people. After the acquisition, the qualified people were given new contracts with NC (since OC technically no longer existed). The kicker was that, according to NC management, under the NC's HR policy and salary structure, most people ended up in a lower salary band...as in between 30-50% lower salary.

Over the next several months, because qualified people refused to work for less than market rates and didn't even bother applying for positions or quit, they hired on a lot of unqualified people, then expected the remaining qualified ones to manage/mentor the unqualified ones, on top of maintaining their own existing workload...all for less pay.

FU money allowed me to:

1. Refuse to sign the new contract. When the new manager brought it up and told me I HAD to sign, I asked her, "You know what I make now, and what I would make under the new contract. As a logical, well educated person, would you sign the new contract if you were me?" She smiled sheepishly and then mumbled something about HR and salary structures that couldn't be changed, and how I didn't qualify for the highest band because of years of experience or something. I didn't really hear her because I didn't care enough to listen to the excuses. I was still paid my old salary.

2. Ignore all stupid new processes. When manager brought it up, I told her she could file the paperwork on my behalf if it was really that necessary. None of the paperwork was ever filed because in reality, none of it was that necessary.

3. I was eventually called in to chat with the VP of the group (my manager's manager's manager), who was brought in from NC headquarters. She basically asked me what was wrong with me, phrased as, "You don't seem very happy...why?" So I told her why I thought all the qualified people were leaving, then handed her my resignation letter and walked out of her office.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1868 on: October 19, 2017, 05:15:22 AM »
Well done, Freedomin5!

I hope the future brings either better opportunities with competent managers or a happy and relaxed retirement.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1869 on: October 19, 2017, 09:15:21 AM »
Several years ago, the Old Company (OC) I worked for was acquired by New Company (NC).

OC hired highly qualified and experienced people that were managed by even more highly qualified and experienced people. After the acquisition, the qualified people were given new contracts with NC (since OC technically no longer existed). The kicker was that, according to NC management, under the NC's HR policy and salary structure, most people ended up in a lower salary band...as in between 30-50% lower salary.

Over the next several months, because qualified people refused to work for less than market rates and didn't even bother applying for positions or quit, they hired on a lot of unqualified people, then expected the remaining qualified ones to manage/mentor the unqualified ones, on top of maintaining their own existing workload...all for less pay.

FU money allowed me to:

1. Refuse to sign the new contract. When the new manager brought it up and told me I HAD to sign, I asked her, "You know what I make now, and what I would make under the new contract. As a logical, well educated person, would you sign the new contract if you were me?" She smiled sheepishly and then mumbled something about HR and salary structures that couldn't be changed, and how I didn't qualify for the highest band because of years of experience or something. I didn't really hear her because I didn't care enough to listen to the excuses. I was still paid my old salary.

2. Ignore all stupid new processes. When manager brought it up, I told her she could file the paperwork on my behalf if it was really that necessary. None of the paperwork was ever filed because in reality, none of it was that necessary.

3. I was eventually called in to chat with the VP of the group (my manager's manager's manager), who was brought in from NC headquarters. She basically asked me what was wrong with me, phrased as, "You don't seem very happy...why?" So I told her why I thought all the qualified people were leaving, then handed her my resignation letter and walked out of her office.
so Glorious!

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1870 on: October 19, 2017, 09:23:47 AM »
So I told her why I thought all the qualified people were leaving, then handed her my resignation letter and walked out of her office.

This made me so happy.  Well done!

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1871 on: October 19, 2017, 11:52:05 AM »

I bet the look on her face would be priceless. I would pay a lot of money to be in the room and observe this meeting.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1872 on: October 19, 2017, 11:56:01 AM »

I bet the look on her face would be priceless. I would pay a lot of money to be in the room and observe this meeting.
Indeed!  What was the reaction like?

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1873 on: October 19, 2017, 02:13:45 PM »

FU money allowed me to:

That is fantastic.

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1874 on: October 19, 2017, 08:19:46 PM »
That's great, I'm thinking that the more experienced people hold their own and realize their worth, the more corporations will have to pay them or improve working conditions. In a way, Mustachian ways should help social equality in the long term... that's the hope anyway.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1875 on: October 20, 2017, 07:29:05 AM »

At first, she was all pretend concerned, like she had read the latest "how to manage people" book and was practicing her empathetic face. She was actually sort of aware of the problems. I just laid them out in a straightforward manner. She took notes as I talked. When I walked out with a big old smile on my face, she was kind of speechless but also kind of not surprised that this happened. They had been experiencing a steady exodus of qualified people for months before I walked.

crispy

« Reply #1876 on: October 20, 2017, 08:39:18 PM »

At first, she was all pretend concerned, like she had read the latest "how to manage people" book and was practicing her empathetic face. She was actually sort of aware of the problems. I just laid them out in a straightforward manner. She took notes as I talked. When I walked out with a big old smile on my face, she was kind of speechless but also kind of not surprised that this happened. They had been experiencing a steady exodus of qualified people for months before I walked.

That's beautiful!

AmyS

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1877 on: November 02, 2017, 11:51:57 PM »
I don't know if this involved FU money, but I hope so. Someone on their last day at Twitter shut down 45's account. It stayed down for eleven minutes.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1878 on: November 03, 2017, 02:55:26 AM »
I don't know if this involved FU money, but I hope so. Someone on their last day at Twitter shut down 45's account. It stayed down for eleven minutes.

That's brilliant. That guy has earned some serious good karma.

MrAlanBreck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Family man.
    • Faith of our Fathers
« Reply #1879 on: November 03, 2017, 06:39:58 AM »

This is why corporations have such a ruthless policy on people leaving, to the extent some have security escort you to the door the minute you resign.  Some let you know you are fired by your key-card no longer working when you arrive in the morning.

I had an old co-worker who was given a notice of termination, went to his computer, and destroyed three months of his work.

ponyboy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1880 on: November 03, 2017, 07:30:10 AM »

What are you talking about?  The guys name is going to be released.  Future employers will not hire him due to the fact that if he ever leaves he may fuck up something at their organization.  Boy he sure showed them...all of 11 minutes.  What a douche monkey.

ponyboy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1881 on: November 03, 2017, 07:32:01 AM »

This is why corporations have such a ruthless policy on people leaving, to the extent some have security escort you to the door the minute you resign.  Some let you know you are fired by your key-card no longer working when you arrive in the morning.

I had an old co-worker who was given a notice of termination, went to his computer, and destroyed three months of his work.

Yup...we just had 3 people get laid off.  They were told and escorted off the property immediately.  Management had to round their things up in their offices and meet them outside to deliver. 

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1882 on: November 03, 2017, 07:43:41 AM »

What are you talking about?  The guys name is going to be released.  Future employers will not hire him due to the fact that if he ever leaves he may fuck up something at their organization.  Boy he sure showed them...all of 11 minutes.  What a douche monkey.

Which he won't care about if he retired. Maybe he doesn't need the money and wanted to start a conversation.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1883 on: November 03, 2017, 08:41:58 AM »

He put his ideology above the mission of his company, and in the process took a swipe at a sitting US president. Yeah, brilliant.

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1884 on: November 03, 2017, 08:59:02 AM »

This should be impossible to do from a computer. I understand disgruntled former employees can do some damage, but every company should know this and have a robust system of data backup with multiple sources of verification to protect against accidental AND purposeful loss. Shame of the former employee, as well as the company.

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1885 on: November 03, 2017, 09:00:55 AM »

He put his ideology above the mission of his company, and in the process took a swipe at a sitting US president. Yeah, brilliant.

Why does everyone assume it is a he?

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #1886 on: November 03, 2017, 09:02:57 AM »
Statistics? More men than women in Tech.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1887 on: November 03, 2017, 09:10:40 AM »
Statistics? More men than women in Tech.

In addition, men are usually more aggressive, and therefore more likely to make a career-ending mistake. It may turn out to be a woman, of course, but until we know, we'll keep using "he".

And besides all that, "they" is still just weird when referring to a single person.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1888 on: November 03, 2017, 09:11:51 AM »
And besides all that, "they" is still just weird when referring to a single person.

You need to get over that. :)

I enjoyed their act of chaos.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1889 on: November 03, 2017, 09:25:12 AM »
Said employee may be a customer support/first line employee, where the gender distribution is much closer to 50/50 than engineering roles.

Not that it matters in any way, it's still a dumb move regardless of who they are.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1890 on: November 03, 2017, 10:39:46 AM »
This should be impossible to do from a computer. I understand disgruntled former employees can do some damage, but every company should know this and have a robust system of data backup with multiple sources of verification to protect against accidental AND purposeful loss. Shame of the former employee, as well as the company.

For a software developer - yes.  For some generic middle manager Excel user many be not.  The words "commit", "check in", "repo" and "branch" have very different meanings outside tech :-)

I have always wondered a bit what rights a former employees has to personal effects in there office.  Can they legally only expect an "honest effort to collect and return personal effects" be made by the company or do they have any right to inspect and remove things?

GnomeErcy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1891 on: November 03, 2017, 10:52:24 AM »
Anticipatory FU story coming in:

My wife and I moved recently and last year she wasn't able to have Christmas with her family. This year, they're flying out and we'll spend some time with them; the first Christmas she'd have spent with them in a few years, and their first time visiting us.

She asked off for the 26th of December and was denied PTO - back over three months ago. So she's going to call out sick. If they fire her, so be it. It's ridiculous that with so much notice, in her line of work, she "can't" take that time off when family is in town. We've got the cash to deal with her getting fired if that's what happens. Feelsgoodman

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1892 on: November 03, 2017, 11:32:42 AM »

My wife and I moved recently and last year she wasn't able to have Christmas with her family. This year, they're flying out and we'll spend some time with them; the first Christmas she'd have spent with them in a few years, and their first time visiting us.

She asked off for the 26th of December and was denied PTO - back over three months ago. So she's going to call out sick. If they fire her, so be it. It's ridiculous that with so much notice, in her line of work, she "can't" take that time off when family is in town. We've got the cash to deal with her getting fired if that's what happens. Feelsgoodman

Most excellent. It's a great feeling to look your boss in the eye and dare him to fire you that way. FU money is awesome. My guess is they will shrivel in fear and just let it pass. It would be dumb of them to make a big deal out of it.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1893 on: November 03, 2017, 12:12:28 PM »

Most excellent. It's a great feeling to look your boss in the eye and dare him to fire you that way. FU money is awesome. My guess is they will shrivel in fear and just let it pass. It would be dumb of them to make a big deal out of it.
If an employee's in some safety critical role then 26th December has to be staffed.  Or if its something like retail with sales starting, or customer service on items that are commonly given as Christmas gifts.  When cover is needed in cases such as those then it is usual for the newest employees to be required to take the unpopular shifts/days and that seems fair.

But if its a standard office type job with nothing critical it should be entirely possible for cover by phone/internet to be arranged to be undertaken by willing employees (and perhaps paid extra for).

GnomeErcy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1894 on: November 03, 2017, 12:18:39 PM »

If an employee's in some safety critical role then 26th December has to be staffed.  Or if its something like retail with sales starting, or customer service on items that are commonly given as Christmas gifts.  When cover is needed in cases such as those then it is usual for the newest employees to be required to take the unpopular shifts/days and that seems fair.

But if its a standard office type job with nothing critical it should be entirely possible for cover by phone/internet to be arranged to be undertaken by willing employees (and perhaps paid extra for).

The issue is because it's a Tuesday and that's the 'busy day' for her, arbitrarily. Not in a safety critical role, plenty of other folks to cover.

Edit: And to clarify she's been with the company for six years, but when we moved she switched offices. She is no longer the new person even by that standard...They've screwed her out of bonuses THREE years where she realistically should have gotten them (first was because she was a temp until early January, so she didn't work there the full year = no bonus; second was her old office because she was only there a partial year; third was her new office because she was only there a partial year. Other years the offices hit their goals but the company didn't, so no bonuses...overall that's left a really bad taste in her mouth on the company in general).

She's ready for a change regardless of what happens on the 26th.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 01:10:49 PM by GnomeErcy »

AmyS

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1895 on: November 03, 2017, 01:03:38 PM »
Love the anticipatory FU money story - that brought a big smile to my face.

Regarding the Twitter employee whose exploits I posted - I have no way of knowing if this is truly an FU money story, or simply a person who just burned all their bridges. One way or another, it was certainly a definitive act.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1896 on: November 03, 2017, 01:09:24 PM »

The issue is because it's a Tuesday and that's the 'busy day' for her, arbitrarily. Not in a safety critical role, plenty of other folks to cover.

Edit: And to clarify she's been with the company for six years, but when we moved she switched offices. She is no longer the new person even by that standard...

Folks without FU money, sadly.  Good for her!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

GnomeErcy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1897 on: November 03, 2017, 01:12:52 PM »

Edit: And to clarify she's been with the company for six years, but when we moved she switched offices. She is no longer the new person even by that standard...

Folks without FU money, sadly.  Good for her!

She's looking at a career change anyway, so honestly it's not a big deal anyway. Really nice to have the FU Money. May put some plans on pause but well worth it :)

ltt

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1898 on: November 03, 2017, 03:41:17 PM »

I agree.....would never hire this guy.  Sorry, but extremely unprofessional...

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1899 on: November 03, 2017, 05:47:22 PM »
I'd hire him. He's got personal integrity and balls of steel. I like people that won't sit around letting crap happen and are prepared to burn something to the ground to make a point. It's not a bad thing NOT to be a yes-sir-no-sir monkey. These are the people that make things happen. The guy's just got to find himself a field where being the square peg is the advantage. I speak as a very experienced square peg. What used to be described as 'trouble maker' and 'stirrer' is now 'brought in to change the corporate culture' and 'cutting out the deadwood'.

I once worked as a cleaner at a church that was a little too celebratory of 'white culture', if you know what I mean.  On the day they had a scheduled a festival of said 'white culture', a festival months in the organising, with renowned guest speakers on the subject of 'white culture', I filled every lock in the building with glue. Of course, they just called the locksmiths and the festival went ahead, but I got more than 11 minutes of annoyance for the bastards!