Author Topic: Epic FU money stories  (Read 2795106 times)

CabinetGuy

• Stubble
Re: Epic FU money stories
« Reply #800 on: December 11, 2015, 03:55:49 PM »
On the one hand, I commend people for leaving a toxic work environment, especially when they have the easy financial means to do it. On the other, some of these stories leave me thinking good people are letting the occasional asshole get the better of them, and that by leaving they're just letting the asshole disrupt the good person's life and continue to merrily abuse everyone else who remains. I wish some of these stories would end along the lines of, "So I told the CEO, either the asshole leaves or I do. They fired the asshole."

Like using a stupid college rivalry as grounds to file an actual, written reprimand against an employee?? Man, I'd tell that person (in a strictly professional way) they better go f*ck themselves first, because if they write me up for something like that they will definitely get f*cked way worse.

One bonus for working in construction:  I can tell people to go fuck themselves in a non-professional manner.  No need to parse words, sometimes vulgarity is a necessity.

bzzzt

• Bristles
  • 5v to Lightning Bolts...
« Reply #801 on: December 11, 2015, 10:31:23 PM »
There were actually people, in a specific group at my last company, that would cancel vacation plans because of last minute company needs. I couldn't believe it.

I would never never do that.

I keep toying with the idea of throwing my resume at a company that not only would the company ask, they've literally called employees while on vacation and told them they need to get back.

The job security and money are great, but damn is that a kick in the junk. Pre-MMM and kids, I would've jumped at the opportunity, but now I'm not so sure if it's for me anymore.

FU Money: letting reforming work-a-holics make better lifestyle choices.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #802 on: December 14, 2015, 08:52:56 AM »
There were actually people, in a specific group at my last company, that would cancel vacation plans because of last minute company needs. I couldn't believe it.

I keep toying with the idea of throwing my resume at a company that not only would the company ask, they've literally called employees while on vacation and told them they need to get back.

The job security and money are great, but damn is that a kick in the junk. Pre-MMM and kids, I would've jumped at the opportunity, but now I'm not so sure if it's for me anymore.

If the money really is great, and you've got no problem executing the 'FU' part, you might give it a go.  You might be the guy that gets the culture changed by not answering the phone when you're on vacation and / or simply saying no.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #803 on: December 14, 2015, 11:51:47 AM »

If the money really is great, and you've got no problem executing the 'FU' part, you might give it a go.  You might be the guy that gets the culture changed by not answering the phone when you're on vacation and / or simply saying no.

Yes, this.  I like to think that I did a bit of that at that company too.

For one, thing, that one group were pretty hard line on PTO.  I mean, if I worked 80 hours in 2 weeks (usually it was 90), I never took vacation time, right?  I mean, really.

But I had friends in the other group that would take 4 hours of vacation if they left work early on Friday. I said "you are exempt, and you've worked 90 hours already this pay period". 

"Well, when I asked my boss, he said..."

Newsflash people: don't ask.  The online computer timecard system DOES NOT CARE when the hours are.  In fact, it only flags the system if you are under 80 for the pay period (and back then, you still got paid the full amount.  I know because I had one pay period at 79.5 hours).

Eventually (took a few years), I convinced the engineers to stop asking and just take advantage of being exempt.  Especially since the pay was shitty (a good $20k under market), and the bosses were all PhD's making $120k+ (10 years ago), and all of whom had made at least a million on the buyout.

It is simply NOT RIGHT for the company to expect you to give them everything, do what it takes, work 100 hours in 2 weeks on a deadline, but expect you to take 3 hours of PTO if you leave early to take your kid to the dentist.  WTF??

Josiecat

• Bristles
« Reply #804 on: December 14, 2015, 04:13:45 PM »
Why are people answering work calls when they are on vacation?  Crazy.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #805 on: December 14, 2015, 04:47:12 PM »
Why are people answering work calls when they are on vacation?  Crazy.

Agreed.  I avoid this by going someplace where "I do not have cell phone coverage".  Sorry but I will not be able to take your call while i am gone.  If your call is urgent, please contact my manager at xxx-xxx-xxxx.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #806 on: December 14, 2015, 04:48:58 PM »
:-)   I used to do that.   "Just check your e-mail everyday"    "Sorry, no internet or electricity off the west coast of BC"  "What?"

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #807 on: December 14, 2015, 05:57:36 PM »
:-)   I used to do that.   "Just check your e-mail everyday"    "Sorry, no internet or electricity off the west coast of BC"  "What?"

Verbatim, from my last job:
Me: 'I'll be at the family lake. No cell reception or internet. Back in 2 weeks.'
Boss: 'But... but... what do we do if there's an emergency???!!?'
Me: 'Well, *assistant who was going to take over my job while I was on maternity leave a few months later* is well-trained and knows everything that's going on. So: she can figure it out, or if it's a big enough emergency, she can drive 3 hours out to tell me about it in person, she has the address.'

Oh, man, the look on her face.

I still think that's an excellent way to calibrate 'emergency'. If it's worth 6 hours of driving for me to fix it, FINE, you may disturb my vacation for a half-hour while I work miracles on your issue. Until then, you're paid to handle this problem, so fix it, I don't care how.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #808 on: December 14, 2015, 06:32:37 PM »
Kitsune, I completely agree. I'm lucky enough to have a job that is OVER the minute I walk out the door each day, but I'm constantly shaking my head at friends who allow themselves to be sucked into this crap over and over. If the company is set up so that someone is that indispensable, they are doing something seriously wrong. What if that person drops dead? And really, I doubt anyone is that indispensable. It's just that no one else wants to deal with it while they're away. But a vacation should be a VACATION. Not "do whatever you want until we need/want you, then drop everything."

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #809 on: December 14, 2015, 06:35:59 PM »
And because "emergency" doesn't mean "it would be faster if Kitsune did it". I'm not there, someone else can figure it out. This is not brain surgery, I am not the only one who can do this stuff. Do it quickly, maybe, but it CAN be done by someone else, so figure it out.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #810 on: December 14, 2015, 07:59:54 PM »
On the one hand, I commend people for leaving a toxic work environment, especially when they have the easy financial means to do it. On the other, some of these stories leave me thinking good people are letting the occasional asshole get the better of them, and that by leaving they're just letting the asshole disrupt the good person's life and continue to merrily abuse everyone else who remains. I wish some of these stories would end along the lines of, "So I told the CEO, either the asshole leaves or I do. They fired the asshole."

Like using a stupid college rivalry as grounds to file an actual, written reprimand against an employee?? Man, I'd tell that person (in a strictly professional way) they better go f*ck themselves first, because if they write me up for something like that they will definitely get f*cked way worse.

One bonus for working in construction:  I can tell people to go fuck themselves in a non-professional manner.  No need to parse words, sometimes vulgarity is a necessity.

Yes, this is the one part of construction work that I miss.  Anytime that some boss threatened to fire me, my response was always, "Don't threaten me with a good time."

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #811 on: December 14, 2015, 10:51:58 PM »
I've found that as I've approached and surpassed having "FU Money", I've felt less and less inclined to ever have to use it.

Someone is being a dick at work?  So what...  So I disengage and surf the web for a while.  What's the worst that happens, they let me go in the next layoff round? LOL.

As much as many people around here say they want to be laid off, I suspect it's not such a lighthearted experience. Sure, you get extra money, but I imagine it'd be an ego blow for those of us who don't have the most iron-clad of egos / a total absence of ego.

I was playing poker with some shit-talking expats the other day. They asked what I did for work, as people do. I explained that DH and I had quit our jobs and were living off of savings ( I find that's the most succinct way to put it and have people understand FIRE without explaining FIRE).  A few hands into the game, Craig looked at me sideways. He asked, "were you laid off?"

His question was LOADED with judgement. I could tell that if I had been laid off, he'd think less of me. Not that it mattered in the grand scheme - but the judgement was palpable. I answered honestly, no I hadn't been laid off, it had been my choice. But wow. It hit me that there's more to being laid off than receiving a fat check.  Loads of judgement would come from others, and, perhaps, from self.  Yes, I'm sure I could withstand it and yes, being financially compensated would help. But, it wouldn't be a walk in the park.  It's not something I'd wish for.

.... well of course there's probably a dollar value where I *would* wish for it.  Maybe a couple million, after taxes?  I think I could deal with an ego blow for a couple mil.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #812 on: December 14, 2015, 11:17:38 PM »
I've found that as I've approached and surpassed having "FU Money", I've felt less and less inclined to ever have to use it.

Someone is being a dick at work?  So what...  So I disengage and surf the web for a while.  What's the worst that happens, they let me go in the next layoff round? LOL.

As much as many people around here say they want to be laid off, I suspect it's not such a lighthearted experience. Sure, you get extra money, but I imagine it'd be an ego blow for those of us who don't have the most iron-clad of egos / a total absence of ego.

Getting laid off is just part of the deal with construction, though.  It's counterproductive to threaten most veteran construction workers with a lay-off, because most of them expect it eventually anyway.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #813 on: December 14, 2015, 11:25:24 PM »

Getting laid off is just part of the deal with construction, though.  It's counterproductive to threaten most veteran construction workers with a lay-off, because most of them expect it eventually anyway.

Ah, yes. If it's from an industry where it's business as usual, I can see that.  Where I came from, being laid off came with stigma.  My poker buddies were in similar industries as I was in.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #814 on: December 15, 2015, 07:50:23 AM »

Verbatim, from my last job:
Me: 'I'll be at the family lake. No cell reception or internet. Back in 2 weeks.'
Boss: 'But... but... what do we do if there's an emergency???!!?'
Me: 'Well, *assistant who was going to take over my job while I was on maternity leave a few months later* is well-trained and knows everything that's going on. So: she can figure it out, or if it's a big enough emergency, she can drive 3 hours out to tell me about it in person, she has the address.'

Oh, man, the look on her face.

I still think that's an excellent way to calibrate 'emergency'. If it's worth 6 hours of driving for me to fix it, FINE, you may disturb my vacation for a half-hour while I work miracles on your issue. Until then, you're paid to handle this problem, so fix it, I don't care how.

IIRC the guy from "The Last Lecture" when he went on his honeymoon told his boss that he would only take calls from his mother in law and gave his boss her number.  And that if something was that on fire his boss could call his mother in law and explain the problem and then she could call him.

Also highly recommend "The Last Lecture" if you have not read it.

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #815 on: December 15, 2015, 02:25:21 PM »
IIRC the guy from "The Last Lecture" when he went on his honeymoon told his boss that he would only take calls from his mother in law and gave his boss her number.  And that if something was that on fire his boss could call his mother in law and explain the problem and then she could call him.

I actually attended a Randy Pausch lecture many years before his "Last Lecture".  I almost skipped it, because the subject -- human-computer-interaction -- wasn't something I was particularly interested in at the time.  (I've since become much more interested.)  Anyway, the lecture was funny, inspiring, and fascinating.  I've used the lessons learned from that brief introduction to the topic in discussions with other UI developers.

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #816 on: December 15, 2015, 02:51:59 PM »

I actually attended a Randy Pausch lecture many years before his "Last Lecture".  I almost skipped it, because the subject -- human-computer-interaction -- wasn't something I was particularly interested in at the time.  (I've since become much more interested.)  Anyway, the lecture was funny, inspiring, and fascinating.  I've used the lessons learned from that brief introduction to the topic in discussions with other UI developers.

The actual lecture the book is based on is available on youtube and I think much better presented than it is in the book: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji5_MqicxSo

I was lucky enough to go to that lecture in person when it was given in 2007. Randy Pausch was a spectacular speaker and teacher. If you're ever in Pittsburgh near the end of a semester, see if you can get into the "Building Virtual Worlds" final presentation. That is the class that Pausch founded at CMU and even to this day, the spirit and excitement he fostered there can still be felt.

jlajr

• Stubble
« Reply #817 on: December 15, 2015, 10:12:55 PM »
Anytime that some boss threatened to fire me, my response was always, "Don't threaten me with a good time."

Sweet.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #818 on: December 16, 2015, 06:38:12 AM »
Newsflash people: don't ask.  The online computer timecard system DOES NOT CARE when the hours are.  In fact, it only flags the system if you are under 80 for the pay period (and back then, you still got paid the full amount.  I know because I had one pay period at 79.5 hours).
The red flags would show up for violation #1 EVEN IF YOU HAD WORKED 20+ HOURS OVER THE WEEKEND FOR A PROGRAM EVENT!

Please note, a decent boss will let you put those weekend hours into the week days to make the time system happy.  Ditto for those times you can't use up the vacation days and you are in "use it or lose it" - you can put in that you took the days, and then in the subsequent month take the vacation and in the time system put in the hours you worked before the roll over.  Granted, you need to have a decent relationship with your boss, but this has rarely been a problem for me.

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #819 on: December 16, 2015, 09:41:39 AM »
You know you can lie on your timecard....? The person using it in payroll probably has no one idea who you even are. There are other tricks too. We had a timeclock at one job, despite it allegedly being salary. If I wanted to leave early I would just "forget" to clock out, and tell the timekeeper the time I "left" the next day.

Of course, this only works if you are a quality employee who your boss likes having around and you treat your co-workers well so they don't raise a big stink and will defend you if necessary.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #820 on: December 16, 2015, 10:38:30 AM »
You know you can lie on your timecard....? The person using it in payroll probably has no one idea who you even are. There are other tricks too. We had a timeclock at one job, despite it allegedly being salary. If I wanted to leave early I would just "forget" to clock out, and tell the timekeeper the time I "left" the next day.

Of course, this only works if you are a quality employee who your boss likes having around and you treat your co-workers well so they don't raise a big stink and will defend you if necessary.

It's a good way to get fired and potentially blacklisted.  I agree you can usually get away with it if your boss consents, but larger companies always have someone higher up who will nuke the department of they find out

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #821 on: December 16, 2015, 11:27:31 AM »

I was playing poker with some shit-talking expats the other day. They asked what I did for work, as people do. I explained that DH and I had quit our jobs and were living off of savings ( I find that's the most succinct way to put it and have people understand FIRE without explaining FIRE).  A few hands into the game, Craig looked at me sideways. He asked, "were you laid off?"

His question was LOADED with judgement. I could tell that if I had been laid off, he'd think less of me. Not that it mattered in the grand scheme - but the judgement was palpable. I answered honestly, no I hadn't been laid off, it had been my choice. But wow. It hit me that there's more to being laid off than receiving a fat check.  Loads of judgement would come from others, and, perhaps, from self.  Yes, I'm sure I could withstand it and yes, being financially compensated would help. But, it wouldn't be a walk in the park.  It's not something I'd wish for.

.... well of course there's probably a dollar value where I *would* wish for it.  Maybe a couple million, after taxes?  I think I could deal with an ego blow for a couple mil.
Oh, M41 this post makes me sad for you. Part of being Mustachian is that you just don't give a fuck about what other people think. He had probably been laid off and was still angry about it. I might have said, "Well, you could say I laid myself off, and I've been having fun ever since."

When I was a kid, my specialist ophthalmologist was all the way across town. My SAHM would schedule a late morning appointment to avoid traffic and then not bother to take me back to school, using the excuse that my eyes were still dilated. I always loved those appointments because I got a few hours off when everyone else was toiling away. I remember that feeling because I've taken joy in replicating it my entire adult life. Now that I'm RE, every day feels that way. It's awesome. I do feel like I'm getting away with something, and it's still a thrill. I just wish I could bottle up the feeling and sent some  to you.

bzzzt

• Bristles
« Reply #822 on: December 16, 2015, 11:33:28 AM »

Well, I already make great money, so it wouldn't be that much of an upgrade. Not answering the phone gets you disciplined and eventually fired.

It is simply NOT RIGHT for the company to expect you to give them everything, do what it takes, work 100 hours in 2 weeks on a deadline, but expect you to take 3 hours of PTO if you leave early to take your kid to the dentist.  WTF??

That's the thing. At this company, with call outs, 50 hours might be 3 days some weeks. I told one of their guys that we were working overtime, 50hrs, and his reply literally was: "50hrs/week? I remember when I had a part time job like that."

Other work groups literally have forced overtime. 6-12s, 7-12s, for months. Want to take a vacation day on a Sunday? Have to burn 3 and take the weekend off.

Like I said, the workaholic in me wants to go for it, but having to hire a nanny would really cut into any extra money I'd make and my son would probably forget who I am.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #823 on: December 16, 2015, 12:17:44 PM »
^I have no idea why you would even consider working somewhere like that. Why do you even toy with the idea of working there? It is more interesting or prestigious our something?

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #824 on: December 16, 2015, 01:00:34 PM »
I had a job that was kind of like that.  On call 24/7, up almost every night dealing with stuff, then in at 8am.  I thought that's what I had to do.  Then we hired a new admin and when he got called at night, depending on how long he was up he would come in late or not at all the next day.  If they asked why he was late he would say 'I was up last night at 3am working'.  Sometimes you just have the attitude of 'I already put in my hours last night/this week.  Say something, I dare you'.  Working long days and weeks occasionally happens when there's a special deadline or issue going on, but if it's a constant thing then that's a staffing issue, which is management's problem, not mine, imo.  I get paid for 40 hours/week (or however many your agreement is).  If that's not enough for the work to get done on a consistent basis, then hire more people.  These are exactly the things FU money is made for.

PhrugalPhan

• Bristles
« Reply #825 on: December 16, 2015, 01:45:01 PM »
Not really a FU money story (as I didn't have FU money at the time), but I did have another job lined up, so this is close.  I finished my Master's degree and moved to the DC burbs to work with an "8(a) subcontractor".  I quickly found out working for 8(a) companies is a bad idea (unless you're not very talented).  The woman running the company (15 employees) was a royal pain and while charging over $100/hr. for our work was paying us about $20/hr.(benefits may have bumped it to $25/hr.).  And then she would try to find ways to save an extra dollar here or there and didn't worry how much it aggravated us (while she was always in late or leaving early to deal with her child and live-in nanny).  My favorites were when she tried to not pay for coffee at our rented offices (to save maybe $20/mo.) and when she didn't want to pay for parking under our building but pay for a nearby lot to save $8/mo.  But only for the guys there ("Its too dangerous for the women to walk over there").  She did lots of other things, but those two stuck out. 

Anyway, I found a job with a 50% pay raise after one month of looking, so I came in on a Friday planning to give 2 weeks notice.  First thing the other guy working on my project tells me is that he is giving a 2 week notice today to her.  I congratulate him but otherwise keep quiet.  At the weekly company meeting later that day, another guy is there chuckling about how he has another job and he is giving his 2 week notice.  "Can you believe we're doing it on the same day.  <boss lady> is going to be really pissed."  I give him a very blank look and say "What makes you think you'll be the last one to resign today?"  He laughs for a few seconds and stops when he realizes what I am saying.  He couldn't keep himself from grinning during the meeting.

You would think having 20% of your employees quitting on the same day would have an impact on her, but nope, still the same b**ch.  On my next to last day we are to meet her early that morning (before 9:00) at the client's office and work on their computers and install needed software.  She barely makes an appearance and after 30 minutes heads out saying we are to stay there when done so we can go over everything that happened with her when she returns (this could easily be done the next day, but whatever...).  She then never returns.  Well...we wait and wait, and wait, and wait...   I guess she did return at some point, as I didn't hear anything from her and finally I left at 4:30 (I hadn't eaten since breakfast at that point).  Next day, my last day, we have the company meeting to review things for the week, and she has the bells to point out I left without waiting for her and wanting an explanation as to why.  I'm sitting there thinking she can't be serious: "Its my last day and she expects me to back down from that - well guess again."  I clear my throat and start and review everything that happened yesterday, what she did, pointing out lots of mistakes in her behavior, and what I did, and end with "and that's why I left when I did".  After a few seconds of silence she starts in on the next item on her agenda never to bring that up again.

It would never get to that point with me any more.  I have enough that while not rich, I would survive just fine for a year or two until I got another job.

bzzzt

• Bristles
« Reply #826 on: December 16, 2015, 02:09:04 PM »
^I have no idea why you would even consider working somewhere like that. Why do you even toy with the idea of working there? It is more interesting or prestigious our something?

I get paid by the hour. If you've got the money, Honey, I've got the time. ;)

Construction doesn't have the nice steady pace of most jobs. When there's work, you work as much as you can because when there's no work, you don't get paid. The week before I got married, I worked 119 hours in 7 days (5-16s, 1-17, 1-22). But, I paid for most of the wedding in that week. I worked 2600hrs in 39 weeks that year. So, 13 weeks off, no pay. If I was still single, I'd still be doing it.

More interesting, more money, stability, and like I said, I'm a reforming workaholic. I usually enjoy what I do.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 02:13:17 PM by bzzzt »

jordanread

« Reply #827 on: December 16, 2015, 03:02:51 PM »

I get paid by the hour. If you've got the money, Honey, I've got the time. ;)

Construction doesn't have the nice steady pace of most jobs. When there's work, you work as much as you can because when there's no work, you don't get paid. The week before I got married, I worked 119 hours in 7 days (5-16s, 1-17, 1-22). But, I paid for most of the wedding in that week. I worked 2600hrs in 39 weeks that year. So, 13 weeks off, no pay. If I was still single, I'd still be doing it.

More interesting, more money, stability, and like I said, I'm a reforming workaholic. I usually enjoy what I do.

Buried the lead a bit there, didn't you? ;) There is a lot of BS I will put up with if I really love what I do (not to say I will like the BS, or tolerate it, or not do everything in my power to prevent it), so that was the lead for me. That being said, HOLY CRAP you worked a crappy 7 days. I can only do that on drugs. I've done 100+ in a stretch, but once I sleep, I'm done being all ambitious.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #828 on: December 16, 2015, 04:46:50 PM »

I went to college at CMU (before  Randy Pausch started there).  I should read his last lecture.

Anyway, at my old job, when I went on a 2 week vacation - a senior coworker asked me for my cell phone #.  I didn't have one.  So I gave him my mom's phone #.

You'd be surprised at how reluctant a 30-something Chinese male is to call someone's mom.  (Even though he'd met her when she was visiting.)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #829 on: December 16, 2015, 05:05:54 PM »
I should read his last lecture.

Don't bother--it's one of the most overrated things I can think of.

(Yes, I'm sure that ruffled some feathers.  No offense intended if you enjoyed it.  Just chiming in with another view on it.)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #830 on: December 16, 2015, 05:54:57 PM »

It's a good way to get fired and potentially blacklisted.  I agree you can usually get away with it if your boss consents, but larger companies always have someone higher up who will nuke the department of they find out

My organization had gotten in some extremely deep doo doo at one point due to timekeeping issues on certain contracts, so it was a major major deal.  You did NOT want to mess around with your timecard -- you and your boss were both at risk of immediate termination if there was any falsification.  You had to keep external records documenting all your billing in 15 minute increments.  Which wasted several hours a week, but that was apparently better than the consequences of not being so rigid.

And that is why that line of work is terrible and stressful. Not only do you have to log hours, but some percentage must be billable, and you only get a crappy bonus if you work like 80 hours a week (so you get like 45 billable hours)... So glad I don't do that anymore.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #831 on: December 16, 2015, 10:00:39 PM »
And that is why that line of work is terrible and stressful. Not only do you have to log hours, but some percentage must be billable, and you only get a crappy bonus if you work like 80 hours a week (so you get like 45 billable hours)... So glad I don't do that anymore.
All time must be billed to a project  code.
But you can't bill to a project that is over budget and has used all its hours
And your hours have to add up to the standard 39 hour week - however long you were actually working.

Welcome to consultancy ... I didn't last long

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #832 on: December 16, 2015, 10:49:59 PM »

Oh, M41 this post makes me sad for you. Part of being Mustachian is that you just don't give a fuck about what other people think. He had probably been laid off and was still angry about it. I might have said, "Well, you could say I laid myself off, and I've been having fun ever since."

When I was a kid, my specialist ophthalmologist was all the way across town. My SAHM would schedule a late morning appointment to avoid traffic and then not bother to take me back to school, using the excuse that my eyes were still dilated. I always loved those appointments because I got a few hours off when everyone else was toiling away. I remember that feeling because I've taken joy in replicating it my entire adult life. Now that I'm RE, every day feels that way. It's awesome. I do feel like I'm getting away with something, and it's still a thrill. I just wish I could bottle up the feeling and sent some  to you.

Thanks Diane C - but don't worry - I'm okay.  I too feel like I'm playing hooky sometimes and it feels great. I just know that if I had been laid off, it may have felt like rejection.  But, I can't say for sure, as I controlled my own FIRE. 

As much as I usually don't give a shit about what people think, there is that small part of me that does. I can't pretend it away. But that's okay. I'm a social human. 

My FIRE was a bit of an FU: on my weekly phone 1:1, my boss told me that I needed to come back to the US. They wanted my job to be done in CA.  I replied, "Umm, nah, we have enough money to live on, I think I'm done." My boss was quiet for a long time.  Then said, "really?  How does that work? I must admit, I'm kind of jealous." A week later, he said, "you can keep doing your job where you are" I said, "nah, I'm done."

Now I get to play hooky every day!  But I am bummed that my shit-talking expat poker buddies won't be able to get together til mid-Jan. :(. What's the point in all this free time if I can't play poker?

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #833 on: December 17, 2015, 03:58:00 AM »
All time must be billed to a project  code.
But you can't bill to a project that is over budget and has used all its hours
And your hours have to add up to the standard 39 hour week - however long you were actually working.

Welcome to consultancy ... I didn't last long

My sanity didn't last long. I lasted 2 years.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #834 on: December 17, 2015, 05:25:00 AM »

Thanks Diane C - but don't worry - I'm okay.  I too feel like I'm playing hooky sometimes and it feels great. I just know that if I had been laid off, it may have felt like rejection.  But, I can't say for sure, as I controlled my own FIRE. 

As much as I usually don't give a shit about what people think, there is that small part of me that does. I can't pretend it away. But that's okay. I'm a social human. 

My FIRE was a bit of an FU: on my weekly phone 1:1, my boss told me that I needed to come back to the US. They wanted my job to be done in CA.  I replied, "Umm, nah, we have enough money to live on, I think I'm done." My boss was quiet for a long time.  Then said, "really?  How does that work? I must admit, I'm kind of jealous." A week later, he said, "you can keep doing your job where you are" I said, "nah, I'm done."

Now I get to play hooky every day!  But I am bummed that my shit-talking expat poker buddies won't be able to get together til mid-Jan. :(. What's the point in all this free time if I can't play poker?

Very nice exit. They wanted to make a major change in your job requirements, you declined and blindsided them with your ability to just be done. Kudos.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #835 on: December 17, 2015, 06:08:40 AM »

That's the thing. At this company, with call outs, 50 hours might be 3 days some weeks. I told one of their guys that we were working overtime, 50hrs, and his reply literally was: "50hrs/week? I remember when I had a part time job like that."

Other work groups literally have forced overtime. 6-12s, 7-12s, for months. Want to take a vacation day on a Sunday? Have to burn 3 and take the weekend off.

Like I said, the workaholic in me wants to go for it, but having to hire a nanny would really cut into any extra money I'd make and my son would probably forget who I am.

I have trouble seeing how people can be productive working that many hours doing anything that requires thought.  Where I work we are very aware of "negative work" ie you are working at your desk but making so many mistakes or making stupid/bad decisions that the project would be better off with you not putting in those hours.  Different industries or different tasks I guess.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #836 on: December 17, 2015, 07:53:14 AM »

I have trouble seeing how people can be productive working that many hours doing anything that requires thought.  Where I work we are very aware of "negative work" ie you are working at your desk but making so many mistakes or making stupid/bad decisions that the project would be better off with you not putting in those hours.  Different industries or different tasks I guess.

I really wish more managers were aware of the concept of 'negative work'

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #837 on: December 17, 2015, 08:06:04 AM »
Studies have shown productivity at just about any jobs falls off a cliff after six consecutive hours. Long days are actually counter-productive, especially so if the employee is getting paid by the hour.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #838 on: December 17, 2015, 08:08:37 AM »
Studies have shown productivity at just about any jobs falls off a cliff after six consecutive hours. Long days are actually counter-productive, especially so if the employee is getting paid by the hour.
Shh!  Don't tell anyone.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #839 on: December 17, 2015, 09:21:39 AM »
Shh!  Don't tell anyone.

Yeah, don't tell them. I'm still hoping one day I'll be on that 4-day 10 hour days grind.

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #840 on: December 17, 2015, 11:15:55 AM »

I really wish more managers were aware of the concept of 'negative work'

My boss used to manage a tech group working repair jobs. Upper management started requiring overtime from them. Working regular hours, he saw about 4 tickets completed per day. On the days the techs worked regular hours plus overtime hours, the techs still completed about 4 tickets a day. So we were paying more (additional hours at overtime rate) for the exact same output.

jordanread

« Reply #841 on: December 17, 2015, 11:30:06 AM »
Shh!  Don't tell anyone.

Yeah, don't tell them. I'm still hoping one day I'll be on that 4-day 10 hour days grind.

I did love back when I worked 4/10s at one job, and 3/12s at the other. If I was single at the time, I would have crazy amounts of money still. And this was like 10 years ago.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #842 on: December 17, 2015, 11:55:46 AM »
Shh!  Don't tell anyone.

I did love back when I worked 4/10s at one job, and 3/12s at the other. If I was single at the time, I would have crazy amounts of money still. And this was like 10 years ago.

4/10s once sounded great but now I think it would suck as you loose most all the evening on those 4 days, like get off work go run, quick shower and some leftovers then its bed time.  wash, rinse, repeat.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #843 on: December 17, 2015, 12:19:30 PM »
Shh!  Don't tell anyone.

4/10s once sounded great but now I think it would suck as you loose most all the evening on those 4 days, like get off work go run, quick shower and some leftovers then its bed time.  wash, rinse, repeat.

In my past job it would have been a little annoying--although lunch would have been 15 minutes shorter (45 to 30), so I'd have only been there 1:45 later--and I'd have gone in an hour earlier, so it was only 45 minutes later.

The current job it would actually work out pretty well. First, lunch would again be 15-30 minutes shorter, my morning commute would probably  be 5-10 minutes shorter, and the evening commute about the same.  And I ride public transit.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #844 on: December 17, 2015, 02:09:59 PM »
To go with the "minor work victories brought on by confidence and independance" theme:

Boss: *walks into my office, starts talking about how he needs me to review this contract for x,y,z, etc, all very important, etc*
Me: What's your deadline on this?
Boss: *pause* What do you mean?
Me: I'm on vacation in *checks time* 4 minutes. If it's quick, I can look at it now. If it's important, I can review it in the next half hour and give my back-up talking points and advice on how to negotiate this over the next two weeks before I leave. If it's not urgent, I can deal with this myself in January. Pick an option! :)
Boss: ... right. It can wait until January. I'd rather you do it.

Ok then. Vacaaaaation!

jordanread

« Reply #845 on: December 17, 2015, 03:26:34 PM »
Shh!  Don't tell anyone.

That actually worked well for me. Pre-mustachian days, the only way I could save was leave no time for spending. Silly, I know, but that was where I was at that point.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #846 on: December 17, 2015, 06:08:21 PM »

That depends a great deal on the type of work.  Factory production line work peaks at about 9 hours, which is one reason that so many small factories try to go to a 9 hour workday on a two week, 9 workday, revolving schedule.  Unions hate them though.  Personally, I work a 12 hour regular shift, but my work is closer to a corporate "fireman".  I run around the plant solving problems as they arise.  So the term 'productivity' in my case means something different.  If the production lines are running, I don't have a "productive activity" to engage into, and that is how my employer likes it.  I'm getting paid to not engage into productive work at this very moment.

bzzzt

• Bristles
« Reply #847 on: December 19, 2015, 08:02:13 AM »

A lot of it boils down to project managers having to hit a deadline for one reason or another.

Yesterday was a good example. Was told other company's crew would be ready in the morning, showed up on site at 7am to nothing ready, did as much pre-work as I could, looked like crew would finally be ready to liven by 3:30 (with me losing remote test support at 4pm, due to being Friday), livening goes sideways and the whole day is pretty much a wash.

So, most of my billable day (10hr) is a change order (extra). We told the other company's project manager not to schedule it so close, but he's getting heat to close out the project. It's stupid, but "the money is green and the checks cash."

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #848 on: December 19, 2015, 10:06:57 PM »
I had a job that was kind of like that.  On call 24/7, up almost every night dealing with stuff, then in at 8am.  I thought that's what I had to do.  Then we hired a new admin and when he got called at night, depending on how long he was up he would come in late or not at all the next day.  If they asked why he was late he would say 'I was up last night at 3am working'.  Sometimes you just have the attitude of 'I already put in my hours last night/this week.  Say something, I dare you'.  Working long days and weeks occasionally happens when there's a special deadline or issue going on, but if it's a constant thing then that's a staffing issue, which is management's problem, not mine, imo.  I get paid for 40 hours/week (or however many your agreement is).  If that's not enough for the work to get done on a consistent basis, then hire more people.  These are exactly the things FU money is made for.

I basically did that at my last job. When I was called (or stayed late) outside of my normal working hours, I tracked it. I didn't use a single vacation day all summer...just comp day after comp day.  I eventually got past the point of asking, too - I'd basically send an email to my boss/team and say "I'm taking 'X' off, comp day because (reasons)." It worked great. :)

effinoff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #849 on: December 19, 2015, 11:14:42 PM »
Hi everyone, been lurking on and off on MMM in the past few weeks and loving this thread! Count me in among those in their thirties now and wishing they had learnt about FI/RE in college and be able turn back time to undo all the stupid decisions and heartbreaks in my 20s.

I have left my share of jobs over the years but there is only 1 where I walked without serving my notice. It was your typical horrible job(shitty boss who took all credit for my work, abusive senior management, underpaid, toxic atmosphere, etc.), and I was intensely envious of friends who seemed to be working at much better companies. However, the job market was quite dry that year, and I had negative net worth(due to living way over my means and getting into credit card debt). I had been unemployed for 6 months before the job offer paying below market rates came through. I felt like I had no choice and just had to suck it up for a long time.

On top of being young and dumb, I was also quite hot-headed(but good at hiding it in public) and often let my emotions get the better of me. I was scared that if I jumped ship, then I may not pass probation period at whatever new job I land, then find myself broke and homeless after 1 week. I was also living with a shitty housemate back then who had disgusting habits, but I felt too poor to move.

So for more than 12 months, I was a combination of angry/sad/envious, as I moped in my room after work on most days. I sat up in bed with my laptop, not wanting to go out with friends and hating on my housemate and boss, while I furiously applied for new jobs. By the time I finally got an offer, I had saved enough money for 3 months of an emergency fund, as well as made a sizeable dent on the credit card debt - all due to staying in so much!

The new employer demanded that I be available to start within 1 week and was not prepared to wait for me to serve my standard 1 month's notice at my shitty job. I looked at my bank account balance, projected expenses, the vacation time I had saved up, and articles about the improving job market. I then came to the conclusion that this was a calculated risk that I could afford, and that I needed to move fast to not lose the job offer.

I spent Monday-Thursday that week cleaning up my desk and taking personal effects home. Friday arrives and I invite my shitty boss to a 5:00pm meeting(preventing him from darting away at 4:00pm like he always did). I hand him my pass and resignation letter and claim that I needed time from off the world of work for personal reasons then walked out without letting him get a word in. The very next Monday, I was at my new job and earning 30% more. Fellow co-workers who I had been repeatedly riling up about the horrible conditions also found the courage to resign a few weeks after I did, leaving boss to scramble to recruit new people when the job market had swung to the jobseekers' side. Before the end of the month, I had also moved out and ditched the gross housemate.

A few weeks later, I get a letter in the mail saying that for not working my notice, I did not get paid out 1 month's worth of vacation time that I had saved up(but I had 7 weeks worth in total, so I got 3 weeks paid out to me that went straight to the emergency fund).

I wish I could say that it was all smooth sailing from then on! I did manage to always have FU money of at least 3 months of an emergency fund ever since that day, but if only I had learned about the concept of FI money earlier...

I'm currently in a new job where I find myself not liking my current boss again, and am considering jumping ship after the Christmas season is over. I currently have more than 18 months of expenses saved up(which I now understand from MMM is way too much cash and I need to put more of it into index ETFs). However, I'm trying to take some time to figure out what I really want in a job so I don't end up somewhere that I dislike(again), so I will probably behave myself this time, skip the FU moment by securing a new job offer first, then serve my 1 month notice at this place before leaving.

To those of you that have job-hopped many times, how have you finally found a place you were willing to stay with until you reach FI?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 11:21:10 PM by effinoff »