Author Topic: Epic FU money stories  (Read 2795004 times)

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Epic FU money stories
« Reply #3900 on: July 18, 2021, 08:32:56 PM »
@kina, the tone sounded fine to me! No apologies (or lines) needed!

• Stubble
« Reply #3901 on: July 18, 2021, 09:20:50 PM »
Just fyi, Christian Scientists often choose not to vaccinate but their is no requirement about it. The only requirement is actually that you follow the law in your jurisdiction about public health.

snowball

• Bristles
« Reply #3902 on: July 19, 2021, 06:21:36 AM »
The fact that I have enough money now for leanFIRE is...increasingly turning me into a loose cannon at work, it seems.  (Might lead to an epic story eventually.  For now, I give you an anecdote.)

A few weeks ago I had a brilliant realization that I don't think would ever have come to me back in the days when I was more concerned about holding onto my job.  Context: The nameplates on our office doors consist of a plastic holder with a slip of paper, your name and title printed on it.  Normally Facilities staff come swap out the paper when an office is reassigned or a title changes.

But it's just a piece of paper.  Eminently self-replaceable...

And - my job title is so boring.  Hardly an incentive to continue OMY'ing, though my employer knows not that this is what I am doing.  But really, for my employer's own good, clearly my boring title is a morale / staff retention issue that needs to be addressed (she says virtuously).

Thought led to action within the hour, and thus...my new job title was born.

So far no one's noticed the change except a few people I pointed it out to, who found it hilarious.  I bet I can go literally years without anyone noticing on their own, especially since I retained the first couple of words from my official title.  You'd have to keep reading to notice, and who does that?  (I guess I will find out!)

My new title? Section Head, Dragon and Pixiedust Wrangling.

I still don't have any truly epic stories, but I did officially resign and pick a last day - Nov 4.  I note that my self-assigned title is still up on my office door, so this will mark about a year that I've been the Section Head of Dragon and Pixiedust Wrangling.

Mostly no one's noticed, but another Section Head - from the IT dept - did wander into my office one day and choked laughing.  I increased my internal estimate of her attention to detail (I don't know her well).  Also her sense of humour.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3903 on: July 19, 2021, 08:31:57 AM »
The fact that I have enough money now for leanFIRE is...increasingly turning me into a loose cannon at work, it seems.  (Might lead to an epic story eventually.  For now, I give you an anecdote.)

A few weeks ago I had a brilliant realization that I don't think would ever have come to me back in the days when I was more concerned about holding onto my job.  Context: The nameplates on our office doors consist of a plastic holder with a slip of paper, your name and title printed on it.  Normally Facilities staff come swap out the paper when an office is reassigned or a title changes.

But it's just a piece of paper.  Eminently self-replaceable...

And - my job title is so boring.  Hardly an incentive to continue OMY'ing, though my employer knows not that this is what I am doing.  But really, for my employer's own good, clearly my boring title is a morale / staff retention issue that needs to be addressed (she says virtuously).

Thought led to action within the hour, and thus...my new job title was born.

So far no one's noticed the change except a few people I pointed it out to, who found it hilarious.  I bet I can go literally years without anyone noticing on their own, especially since I retained the first couple of words from my official title.  You'd have to keep reading to notice, and who does that?  (I guess I will find out!)

My new title? Section Head, Dragon and Pixiedust Wrangling.

I still don't have any truly epic stories, but I did officially resign and pick a last day - Nov 4.  I note that my self-assigned title is still up on my office door, so this will mark about a year that I've been the Section Head of Dragon and Pixiedust Wrangling.

Mostly no one's noticed, but another Section Head - from the IT dept - did wander into my office one day and choked laughing.  I increased my internal estimate of her attention to detail (I don't know her well).  Also her sense of humour.
Damn, and now you have to change it. Translocating Section Head, Dragon, End of World and Pixiedust Wrangling or something like that.

WerKater

• Bristles
« Reply #3904 on: July 27, 2021, 12:35:55 PM »
This is not epic, nor is it a full story (yet). But if it becomes those things it will involve FU money, so I am posting it anyway.

My manager and the higher-ups want to introduce <NewFormalProcess> for something we regularly need to do (details don't matter). The process is actually something I agree with. Most of the actual work within the process will have to be done by me and a few others on the same level as me (and we are actually already doing it, except there is no formal process). Open question is how fast we should be able to do this process. Since I am currently already doing this work, I like to believe that I have a very reasonable idea about how long it takes. I am usually a reasonable person, unless someone pisses me off.

I suggested one week.

His reaction:
No, that is much too slow, we need to be faster. Like one or two days.
Me: There is no way we can do that reliably. Maybe in some trivial cases, but most of the time, the process requires coordination and discussion between a few people. And these people have a lot on their plates already. It can easily take a few days to hash this sort of thing out between all relevant persons.
Manager: You can just call a meeting at the same day with all relevant persons and discuss it then.
Me: No, we can't. Many people have very full schedules (you know, just like you). And also other work to do.
Manager: You can always call a same-day meeting. Just do it at 6pm.
Me: [speechless for a moment]. Most people leave long before 6pm. And I certainly don't want to work so late. If it's very rarely, ok. But even then, it needs to be planned, so not same-day. Many people (like me...) have private obligations.
Manager: We can force you to. We can order you to do overtime [note: saying this ("force", "order") is totally out-of-character for the guy].
Me: [now I am pissed] First, no, you can't. [1]
Me: And second, do you remember how we talked about problems with employee retention recently? I can tell you now that this won't help.
Me: And besides, it is definitely not usual that <Process> would even need to be completed within one week. Usually, we know about it at least roughly multiple weeks in advance. In all cases that I know where somethign sprang on us "suddenly", it was always because somebody (I am looking at you, higher-ups...) actually already knew about it but failed to pass it on in a timely manner.

The discussion continued a little but it became clear that we would not agree. We postponed it and will discuss it with all involved persons to also get their opinion.

[1]
This answer left him speechless for a moment. It has multiple levels (which I did not discuss with him):
First, legally, he can't force me to do overtime since my contract does not mention it and that means that he cannot demand it.
More importantly, he can't force me, because that is one thing that will surely make me quit on his ass (or maybe just ignore the demand and dare him to fire me -- a labor court would probably not look kindly on an employer who tries to force a father to work overtime, despite no contractual obligation. And while said father would actually have to pick his kid up from daycare).

This is actually the very first time that something at work made my mind jump to the "FU Money" concept, so it maybe sort of fits in here.

Let's see how it plays out. Whatever happens, FU money has already worked. I am definitely not worried about the outcome.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 12:40:42 PM by WerKater »

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3905 on: July 27, 2021, 12:53:48 PM »
Way to go! Great answer. Always helpful to read these and add to my store of stock answers to unreasonable demands.

alcon835

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3906 on: July 27, 2021, 04:36:29 PM »
This is an epic FU story! You held your ground in a situation when others would have cowered. Having the FU money in your back pocket freed you to have this conversation. Totally epic!!

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #3907 on: July 28, 2021, 01:09:57 AM »
Fuck yeah. That managers got some unrealistic expectations.

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3908 on: July 28, 2021, 03:27:12 AM »
Well done @WerKater !

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #3909 on: July 28, 2021, 09:08:46 AM »
 @WerKater- you might enjoy Dr. Doom's blog, livingafi.com

On his run up to his first FIRE he documented his career experience that feels like your entry here.  He has many posts that go through his working life and the middle sections dealing with incompetent bosses with unreasonable time demands is extra good stuff, and his blooming sense of the power of FU money is documented.  Dr. Doom writes very well and it is an enjoyable blog, even though it is pretty old stuff by internet standards.

Maybe some other readers here might enjoy it so I figured I would post the link.   

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3910 on: July 28, 2021, 12:19:55 PM »
Dr Doom is my favorite blogger, if that isn’t sacrilege to say around these parts. 

Shane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3911 on: July 28, 2021, 12:57:44 PM »
Let's see how it plays out. Whatever happens, FU money has already worked. I am definitely not worried about the outcome.

Yeah, just knowing that you have options, other than just accepting whatever management tries to force onto you, often changes everything.

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3912 on: July 31, 2021, 08:41:02 AM »
This is not epic, nor is it a full story (yet). But if it becomes those things it will involve FU money, so I am posting it anyway.

My manager and the higher-ups want to introduce <NewFormalProcess> for something we regularly need to do (details don't matter). The process is actually something I agree with. Most of the actual work within the process will have to be done by me and a few others on the same level as me (and we are actually already doing it, except there is no formal process). Open question is how fast we should be able to do this process. Since I am currently already doing this work, I like to believe that I have a very reasonable idea about how long it takes. I am usually a reasonable person, unless someone pisses me off.

I suggested one week.

His reaction:
No, that is much too slow, we need to be faster. Like one or two days.
Me: There is no way we can do that reliably. Maybe in some trivial cases, but most of the time, the process requires coordination and discussion between a few people. And these people have a lot on their plates already. It can easily take a few days to hash this sort of thing out between all relevant persons.
Manager: You can just call a meeting at the same day with all relevant persons and discuss it then.
Me: No, we can't. Many people have very full schedules (you know, just like you). And also other work to do.
Manager: You can always call a same-day meeting. Just do it at 6pm.
Me: [speechless for a moment]. Most people leave long before 6pm. And I certainly don't want to work so late. If it's very rarely, ok. But even then, it needs to be planned, so not same-day. Many people (like me...) have private obligations.
Manager: We can force you to. We can order you to do overtime [note: saying this ("force", "order") is totally out-of-character for the guy].
Me: [now I am pissed] First, no, you can't. [1]
Me: And second, do you remember how we talked about problems with employee retention recently? I can tell you now that this won't help.
Me: And besides, it is definitely not usual that <Process> would even need to be completed within one week. Usually, we know about it at least roughly multiple weeks in advance. In all cases that I know where somethign sprang on us "suddenly", it was always because somebody (I am looking at you, higher-ups...) actually already knew about it but failed to pass it on in a timely manner.

The discussion continued a little but it became clear that we would not agree. We postponed it and will discuss it with all involved persons to also get their opinion.

[1]
This answer left him speechless for a moment. It has multiple levels (which I did not discuss with him):
First, legally, he can't force me to do overtime since my contract does not mention it and that means that he cannot demand it.
More importantly, he can't force me, because that is one thing that will surely make me quit on his ass (or maybe just ignore the demand and dare him to fire me -- a labor court would probably not look kindly on an employer who tries to force a father to work overtime, despite no contractual obligation. And while said father would actually have to pick his kid up from daycare).

This is actually the very first time that something at work made my mind jump to the "FU Money" concept, so it maybe sort of fits in here.

Sometimes I wonder if these guys have ever been told no in a situation like this. Not just pushback (which is probably rare in and of itself) but a firm no. I know you say it's out of character with the manager but people in all of these situations that come up on this thread in general all seem to have similar reactions of total disbelief.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3913 on: July 31, 2021, 09:04:25 AM »

Sometimes I wonder if these guys have ever been told no in a situation like this. Not just pushback (which is probably rare in and of itself) but a firm no. I know you say it's out of character with the manager but people in all of these situations that come up on this thread in general all seem to have similar reactions of total disbelief.

Self-absorbed, selfish people rarely consider the viewpoint of others until said viewpoint hits them upside the head like a 2x4.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3914 on: July 31, 2021, 10:58:01 PM »
Saw this post on Reddit.

Title: My boss's secretary quit this morning after delivering breakfast.

Man, if that isn't an epic FU story*, I don't know what is. A picture tells 1000 words here. :D

*Sure, we don't know for sure she had FU money, but whatever.

Credit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Wellthatsucks/comments/osndlx/my_bosss_secretary_quit_this_morning_after/
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3915 on: August 01, 2021, 12:56:52 AM »
Saw this post on Reddit.

Man, if that isn't an epic FU story*, I don't know what is. A picture tells 1000 words here. :D

*Sure, we don't know for sure she had FU money, but whatever.

Credit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Wellthatsucks/comments/osndlx/my_bosss_secretary_quit_this_morning_after/

Looks like she made them a big favor if that is supposed to be breakfast.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3916 on: August 01, 2021, 02:17:22 AM »
Those are big bites. I bet she enjoyed them all!

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3917 on: August 01, 2021, 08:58:18 AM »
Saw this post on Reddit.

Yeah, thought the same. That maybe count as teatime sweets or something, but not as a meal. Especially not the first of the day. I don't even want to imagine how much sugar is in there and what it does to your liver and diabetes if that is your first meal of the day.

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3918 on: August 01, 2021, 09:27:59 AM »
Saw this post on Reddit.

Yeah, thought the same. That maybe count as teatime sweets or something, but not as a meal. Especially not the first of the day. I don't even want to imagine how much sugar is in there and what it does to your liver and diabetes if that is your first meal of the day.

I say this in gentle humor: I think you're missing the point. Even if she ate them it's a one-time, brilliantly delivered, epic message. She could have taken each bite and spit it out - we don't know and she's probably not telling.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3919 on: August 01, 2021, 11:49:57 AM »
And odds on she brought in a special treat for first thing in the morning/"breakfast"... then opened the box.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3920 on: August 01, 2021, 02:00:52 PM »
Saw this post on Reddit.

I say this in gentle humor: I think you're missing the point. Even if she ate them it's a one-time, brilliantly delivered, epic message. She could have taken each bite and spit it out - we don't know and she's probably not telling.

I didn’t miss the point, I just found it interesting that someone called that breakfast.

Shane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3921 on: August 02, 2021, 04:50:57 AM »

I didn’t miss the point, I just found it interesting that someone called that breakfast.

Guessing you haven't been to the US lately. If you saw what average Americans look like in 2021, it wouldn't surprise you, at all, that many here consider sugary donuts a completely normal 'breakfast.'

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3922 on: August 02, 2021, 04:54:19 AM »

Guessing you haven't been to the US lately. If you saw what average Americans look like in 2021, it wouldn't surprise you, at all, that many here consider sugary donuts a completely normal 'breakfast.'

yep. there's always a crowd at the krispy kreme.

johndoe

• Stubble
« Reply #3923 on: August 06, 2021, 11:27:44 AM »
Maybe I don't understand "FU money"... always assumed it was something like "I'm here because I get satisfaction out of [insert task]; I don't need the paycheck and won't blindly comply with superiors' orders if they're not the right thing to do".  How does burning bridges by doing something like eating someone's donuts become an "epic" move?  Even if that employee was mistreated for years, it's impossible for them to not appear petty by doing something like this.  Am I in the minority here?

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3924 on: August 06, 2021, 12:09:57 PM »
Maybe I don't understand "FU money"... always assumed it was something like "I'm here because I get satisfaction out of [insert task]; I don't need the paycheck and won't blindly comply with superiors' orders if they're not the right thing to do".  How does burning bridges by doing something like eating someone's donuts become an "epic" move?  Even if that employee was mistreated for years, it's impossible for them to not appear petty by doing something like this.  Am I in the minority here?

"Entertainment should not consist of novel situations that are amusing and out of the ordinary but rather should be restricted to mundane and mutually respectful interactions."  /s

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3925 on: August 06, 2021, 12:11:26 PM »

FU money means you have enough resources that you can do just fine for long enough to get another source of income.  Obviously, if one is also FI, "long enough" = "forever".   It means you can afford to say "No." to things that you find unacceptable.

Was taking that bite out of the donuts petty.   Yes, it was.   But there's a truly important difference between a petty action by someone with power and someone who's been on the bottom and finally, FINALLY gets a chance to say FU in a way that gives them a chance to even the score.   Very few people would respond like that unless their management had been mean, cruel, petty, arbitrary, etc., for what seemed like an interminable period of time to the victim. 

Just quitting doesn't convey the message of "I hate your fucking guts you pathetic excuse for a human being".    Delivering their box of donuts with a bite taken out of each one -- probably an unpaid task they had to do on their way to work -- is a way to do that.   

The odds are 100 to 1 that the manager deserved to receive that message. 

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3926 on: August 06, 2021, 12:29:05 PM »
I'm with @johndoe. This is the act of a petty bridge burner, not someone refusing an immoral order because they don't need the money.

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3927 on: August 06, 2021, 12:34:08 PM »

In regards to the burning bridges part in general, I view stories on here like watching a movie. I would likely never do it myself, but I envision myself having the guts/wit to do something similar at a particularly rough job I had. I don't think I would ever have it in me to burn a bridge in some of these more extreme ways, but I have been in some tough situations and can see the appeal.

In terms of this particular one, I guess it depends on the situation. If she was specifically tasked with bringing breakfast for her boss I can understand it. In all my work situations, something like that would have been more communal, so I definitely wouldn't have done it if it could have felt directed at more than just my boss specifically. All in all, my response was dang, she got the message across that she was pissed.

I personally prefer ones where the response is directly related to the problem - a boss habitually overloads an employee, the employee finally says enough is enough and refuses, they are told there is no option, and then the employee quits, leaving the aggressive boss to hold the bag for everything. I guess it does seem a little less petty to me when they are directly tied to the problem and are a logical consequence of the action.

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3928 on: August 06, 2021, 12:51:44 PM »
I'm with @johndoe. This is the act of a petty bridge burner, not someone refusing an immoral order because they don't need the money.

It can definitely get a bit muddy on the difference between Epic and Petty.  I'd argue the blindsiding of management is a big part of a story's epic-ness. That complete lack of understanding that you are not pay check to paycheck. And the Donuts has the blindsiding. 

If she just had her sick kid lick all the donuts, that would have been Petty.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3929 on: August 06, 2021, 02:08:04 PM »

I was a couple of years ago. Mostly we ended buying breakfast food to the hotelroom or apartment because the hotel breakfast was a huge disappointment. I often ended up buying a bagel with creme cheese and coffee for breakfast.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3930 on: August 07, 2021, 06:05:33 AM »
I've never been aware of any requirement that FU money be used with dignity, class, and grace.  Certainly you can earn bonus internet popularity points if you do, but there are plenty of examples in this thread where a certain degree of forthrightness, bordering on the brusque or even rude, has been necessary to get the point across.  I mean, the key phrase itself is extremely vulgar, so I don't think we should expect that its use be always professional and polite.

johndoe

• Stubble
« Reply #3931 on: August 07, 2021, 06:50:09 AM »
Fair responses, I can see how the notion of "I've always been mistreated here, now I can settle the score with boss X" could be appealing.  But imagine you're "boss X" here.  Wouldn't you interpret the donut message as "wow...that employee was crazy.  Clearly they weren't a good team member and we're better off without them"?  I can't imagine this would cause any sort of internal reflection.

From my vantage point, if you're going to burn a bridge so thoroughly, why not do it over a topic that really matters?  If boss X made your life hell and hurt the org, why not go out by presenting facts to boss X's boss about their ineptitude/lack of ethics, and explain that caused you to leave?  If you really want something to change, eating someone's donut isn't going to cut it.

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3932 on: August 07, 2021, 06:58:32 AM »
Fair responses, I can see how the notion of "I've always been mistreated here, now I can settle the score with boss X" could be appealing.  But imagine you're "boss X" here.  Wouldn't you interpret the donut message as "wow...that employee was crazy.  Clearly they weren't a good team member and we're better off without them"?  I can't imagine this would cause any sort of internal reflection.

From my vantage point, if you're going to burn a bridge so thoroughly, why not do it over a topic that really matters?  If boss X made your life hell and hurt the org, why not go out by presenting facts to boss X's boss about their ineptitude/lack of ethics, and explain that caused you to leave?  If you really want something to change, eating someone's donut isn't going to cut it.

I'd like to think I'm a good manager - I've never had this type of thing happen to me.  If I did, I would throw out the donuts and move on with my day.  It wouldn't bother me in the least.  I've been in leadership for 26 years and I've seen people do the craziest things.  We'd like to think that these FU moments really make someone reflect on their behavior.  I suspect you are right, most people would just think it was a crazy employee.

I still enjoy all the stories and did find it funny that someone did that to the donuts.

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3933 on: August 07, 2021, 07:01:21 AM »

Because the odds of whatever you choose to do actually changing the behavior or difficult, rude, and/or abusive managers is unlikely, so why not do something that is moderately annoying/inconvenient for them.

I love where I work now, but I definitely have an old job in mind that, had I become FI while working there, I would have gone full scorched earth on everybody. Or more simply:

https://youtu.be/rJjKP8vYjpQ

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3934 on: August 07, 2021, 08:14:53 AM »
I mean, the key phrase itself is extremely vulgar, so I don't think we should expect that its use be always professional and polite.
Yes, I just can't imagine the thread titled "Epic you can sexual intercourse someone else money stories".

pasadenafr

• Bristles
« Reply #3935 on: August 07, 2021, 08:47:44 AM »

I'd like to think I'm a good manager - I've never had this type of thing happen to me.  If I did, I would throw out the donuts and move on with my day.  It wouldn't bother me in the least.  I've been in leadership for 26 years and I've seen people do the craziest things.  We'd like to think that these FU moments really make someone reflect on their behavior.  I suspect you are right, most people would just think it was a crazy employee.

I still enjoy all the stories and did find it funny that someone did that to the donuts.

Sometimes, it's just about sending the message and saying what you have to say. I'm sure it made her feel better and released some of her pent-up frustrations.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #3936 on: August 07, 2021, 08:52:25 AM »
Sometimes, it's just about sending the message and saying what you have to say. I'm sure it made her feel better and released some of her pent-up frustrations.

Exactly. I think it misses the point to start extrapolating out about what this may have taught some boss somewhere. I think sometimes it is just simply satisfying to make your feelings crystal clear, because you CAN.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3937 on: August 07, 2021, 09:00:42 AM »
FIf boss X made your life hell and hurt the org, why not go out by presenting facts to boss X's boss about their ineptitude/lack of ethics, and explain that caused you to leave?  If you really want something to change, eating someone's donut isn't going to cut it.

Because only in fairy stories is the person who says "The Emperor has no clothes" a hero.

I worked at McD's in high school and college and grad school and had become an associate manager, which basically means an hourly employee who is paid an extra $0.10 an hour for some management responsibilities.  I was good at my job and had been around a long time.

We got a new manager.  Nice lady, generally a good manager EXCEPT when something went wrong.  Then she panicked and started screaming at the employees.  If you know anything about how a kitchen works at lunch you'll know that was exactly the wrong thing to do.    It was so bad the customers were apologizing to the counter help.  The customers were embarrassed for the employees.

So, when the area supervisor came thru I pulled him aside and told him we had a problem.   That's when I was told that I "had an attitude problem".   

Which was actually perceptive of him because I can tell you that after he said that I sure as hell NOW had an attitude problem.

Managers stick together and rarely consider the possibility that a fellow manager is the problem instead of the employees.   If they do consider it, they generally ignore it unless it interferes with their own life or career.   It's how most of them roll.  Think of it as the pointy-haired boss wall of silence.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3938 on: August 07, 2021, 10:04:14 AM »
In our organization, we have a regular program of 1:1 meetings with our direct reports, and Skip 1:1 meetings with their reports.  Then there are roundtables, surveys, and other venues to identify both high performers and problem leaders.  These leaders get coaching, and if that doesn't work, they get to find the opportunity to apply their skills elsewhere.  This has been a pretty big change from earlier years, and the change in the organization has been profound.  In the past, we had people in leadership positions that everyone knew shouldn't be there, but nobody did anything about it.  Now, those people are few and far between.

It's true that in some organizations there is a pointy-haired boss wall of silence... but it doesn't have to be that way.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3939 on: August 07, 2021, 10:09:02 AM »
In our organization, we have a regular program of 1:1 meetings with our direct reports, and Skip 1:1 meetings with their reports.  Then there are roundtables, surveys, and other venues to identify both high performers and problem leaders.  These leaders get coaching, and if that doesn't work, they get to find the opportunity to apply their skills elsewhere.  This has been a pretty big change from earlier years, and the change in the organization has been profound.  In the past, we had people in leadership positions that everyone knew shouldn't be there, but nobody did anything about it.  Now, those people are few and far between.

It's true that in some organizations there is a pointy-haired boss wall of silence... but it doesn't have to be that way.

You're absolutely right!   It doesn't HAVE to be that way.   But it very often is. 

ScreamingHeadGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #3940 on: August 07, 2021, 01:50:57 PM »
More on-topic. 

Just this past week my wife told her boss she was not going to travel to a remote site when she could more easily perform the task in an online setting (and travel would have had a negative impact on her more important task). 

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3941 on: August 07, 2021, 02:17:14 PM »
More on-topic. 

Just this past week my wife told her boss she was not going to travel to a remote site when she could more easily perform the task in an online setting (and travel would have had a negative impact on her more important task).

I anticipate a big upswing of fu situations in general about remote situations even amongst peyote without truly having fu money. It may be subtle,  but people aren't going to take being forced back into an office full time or into unnecessary travel or the like without reason like they previously did.

okonumiyaki

• Stubble
« Reply #3942 on: August 08, 2021, 02:56:35 AM »

FU money means you have enough resources that you can do just fine for long enough to get another source of income.  Obviously, if one is also FI, "long enough" = "forever".   It means you can afford to say "No." to things that you find unacceptable.

Was taking that bite out of the donuts petty.   Yes, it was.   But there's a truly important difference between a petty action by someone with power and someone who's been on the bottom and finally, FINALLY gets a chance to say FU in a way that gives them a chance to even the score.   Very few people would respond like that unless their management had been mean, cruel, petty, arbitrary, etc., for what seemed like an interminable period of time to the victim. 

Just quitting doesn't convey the message of "I hate your fucking guts you pathetic excuse for a human being".    Delivering their box of donuts with a bite taken out of each one -- probably an unpaid task they had to do on their way to work -- is a way to do that.   

The odds are 100 to 1 that the manager deserved to receive that message.

I went to a traditional UK boarding school, and I was in the most traditional house in that school.  Fagging had officially been abolished years before (fagging = junior boys being servants to senior boys) but in my house it still existed, but technically as punishment (i.e. caught doing something wrong = make & bring tea to the senior boys, or clean their shoes, make their beds etc)  However, the 'punishments' were scrupulously handed out on an unofficial roster.  Because if any fag felt they were being picked on unfairly, the tea would have urine in it.  So, yeah, I am totally on board with the doughnut bites.

(the house building was so old - 14th century - that it was protected internally and externally, so still had separate dormitories and study rooms for all biys, vs the other houses that had been modernised to be like college dorm rooms, this accounted for the different culture)

IsThisAGoodUsername

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3943 on: August 08, 2021, 07:04:21 AM »
I went to a traditional UK boarding school, and I was in the most traditional house in that school.  Fagging had officially been abolished years before (fagging = junior boys being servants to senior boys) but in my house it still existed, but technically as punishment (i.e. caught doing something wrong = make & bring tea to the senior boys, or clean their shoes, make their beds etc)  However, the 'punishments' were scrupulously handed out on an unofficial roster.  Because if any fag felt they were being picked on unfairly, the tea would have urine in it.  So, yeah, I am totally on board with the doughnut bites.

This is a good example of the USA and UK being separated by a common language.  :)

MyOtherBrotherDarryl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3944 on: August 08, 2021, 09:31:57 AM »
More on-topic. 

I anticipate a big upswing of fu situations in general about remote situations even amongst peyote without truly having fu money. It may be subtle,  but people aren't going to take being forced back into an office full time or into unnecessary travel or the like without reason like they previously did.

Do not change your typo.

MyOtherBrotherDarryl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3945 on: August 08, 2021, 09:46:57 AM »
Fantastic thread - been reading it over the past couple of weeks.

I've quit teaching two jobs in my time not because I had FU money but because I had FU skills and, critically for education, FU certification (i.e. certification in a high-demand field).  Nothing epic, I'm afraid, but I'll share anyway.

For Job A, I sent an email to HR and my boss saying I'd be resigning at the end of my contract. I left because the boss was a walking bundle of hypocrisy and I didn't want to deal with it anymore. With FU certification, I knew I'd have little trouble finding another job and I was right.

Job B was similar - I again resigned at the end of my contract - and took a chance on a part-time university job that might lead to bigger and better things. If it failed, I would have little difficulty finding a full-time position in my certification field. Being mustachian, long before I ever discovered the term, helped. I had a nice little cushion if needed.

In the end, the part-time gig did indeed lead to better things: a tenured professorship, better pay, and more control over my time.

I am not, alas, a professor of FU Studies. Nor can one currently get FU certification, not in so many words. But I'm working on it. I would suggest a course reading list starting with the collected works of Thompson, Hunter S. and the cinematic oeuvre of Jackson, Samuel L., with supplemental materials by Malkiel, Burton L. and Bogle, John C.

Index funds, motherfucker.

Edited for clarity.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 11:19:54 PM by MyOtherBrotherDarryl »

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3946 on: August 08, 2021, 01:09:10 PM »
I would suggest a course reading list starting with the collected works of Thompson, Hunter S. and the cinematic oeuvre of Jackson, Samuel L., with supplemental materials by Malkiel, Burton L. and Bogle, John C.

Love it!

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #3947 on: August 08, 2021, 02:24:59 PM »
I would suggest a course reading list starting with the collected works of Thompson, Hunter S. and the cinematic oeuvre of Jackson, Samuel L., with supplemental materials by Malkiel, Burton L. and Bogle, John C.

Love it!

LOL.

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3948 on: August 08, 2021, 04:17:30 PM »
More on-topic. 

Do not change your typo.

How on earth did autocorrect get that out of people?!?

omachi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3949 on: August 08, 2021, 07:53:47 PM »
More on-topic. 

Do not change your typo.

How on earth did autocorrect get that out of people?!?
I just figured it was a frequency based suggestion and you've been out wandering the desert.