Author Topic: Epic FU money stories  (Read 2795093 times)

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
Re: Epic FU money stories
« Reply #3650 on: March 03, 2021, 08:41:08 AM »
I still have people that call me on weekends (WEEKENDS) to vent about work problems.  I know it will eventually taper off, but should I just cut it off cold turkey?  These aren't "friends". These are people who have and could directly affect my past and future earnings

If they aren't friends or people you are friendly with, then I think it's fine to cut cold turkey if you feel inclined to. But the "could directly affect my future earnings" statement caught my attention... How? Are you relying on the company to do well to pay you a pension? Or is there some other deferred compensation package you are looking at?

The other aspect to think about here is the entertainment value. It's dark, but sometimes it could give you entertainment/provide even more vindication to hear that the environment still sucks.
"Future Earnings"  Just in case I ever decide I need to work there again.  If I'm secure enough in my FI, then no...they really can't affect any future earnings.  Thanks for the reminder of that.  (YAY!)

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3651 on: March 03, 2021, 08:47:53 AM »

Are you, for some reason, not able to get high now? Like, does your employer drug test you? Cannabis is legal is D.C., now, right? Since we FIRED, and especially since Covid started, I've been smoking a lot more weed than I ever did while working, mostly because I've got the free time, and fewer responsibilities. It feels like I'm a teenager again.

I hold a clearance. 

There are other reasons someone may choose to not partake in weed. And those reasons are perfectly valid, acceptable, and should be respected.
I kind of want to partake, but I haven't always liked the feeling in the past.  If it will help make me mellower, then I'm all for it.  If there are some healing properties that I can use for anti-inflammation, I'll go there. 

Some of us don't want the smoke in our lungs.  Some of us just aren't interested.  Just like some of us don't smoke/chew tobacco.  Or drink alcohol.  The opportunity to do something doesn't imply everyone will want to do it.
I'm a former smoker, and I would loooooooovvvve to inhale again, but I won't because I'm afraid it would lead me back to cigarettes.  So if I do decide to partake, I will probably go with edibles of some sort. 

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3652 on: March 03, 2021, 09:04:10 AM »
heh heh, I keep thinking about the Nope cards in the game Exploding Kittens. My favorite is the Narnope.

I may try to find this game, just so I can carry these cards around in my pocket and distribute freely.

Abe Froman

• Stubble
« Reply #3653 on: March 03, 2021, 09:18:21 AM »
heh heh, I keep thinking about the Nope cards in the game Exploding Kittens. My favorite is the Narnope.

I may try to find this game, just so I can carry these cards around in my pocket and distribute freely.

Our family LOVES this game. And it just got NUTS for us as we just included the expansion packs.
Matt Inman's comics are funny as hell - because it mixes a little vulgar humor with true knowledge and intelligence. Probably why The Simpsons writers have done so well for so long.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3654 on: March 03, 2021, 09:19:06 AM »
I'm a former smoker, and I would loooooooovvvve to inhale again, but I won't because I'm afraid it would lead me back to cigarettes.  So if I do decide to partake, I will probably go with edibles of some sort.

I always thought tobacco was the "gateway drug", not pot.  If you can smoke cigarettes you can smoke anything.   ;-)

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3655 on: March 03, 2021, 09:34:49 AM »

I always thought tobacco was the "gateway drug", not pot.  If you can smoke cigarettes you can smoke anything.   ;-)
haha  yeah.  But the feeling of inhaling deeply was also addicting.  I do not ever want to do that again (other than for fresh clean air) because I cannot be trusted not to jump back to cigs.  God they're just awful.  It's been over 20 years since I quit and I still fear the hold they had on me.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #3656 on: March 03, 2021, 10:02:44 AM »

haha  yeah.  But the feeling of inhaling deeply was also addicting.  I do not ever want to do that again (other than for fresh clean air) because I cannot be trusted not to jump back to cigs.  God they're just awful.  It's been over 20 years since I quit and I still fear the hold they had on me.

Congratulations on quitting. My father has never been able to despite walking away from Alcohol and a couple of "harder" drugs cold turkey more that 35 years ago... He's tried numerous times to quit smoking and even managed for a few days at a time, but it never sticks. Probably the primary reason I've never had any interest in smoking anything...

AO1FireTo

• Stubble
« Reply #3657 on: March 03, 2021, 11:22:26 AM »

Congratulations on quitting. My father has never been able to despite walking away from Alcohol and a couple of "harder" drugs cold turkey more that 35 years ago... He's tried numerous times to quit smoking and even managed for a few days at a time, but it never sticks. Probably the primary reason I've never had any interest in smoking anything...

Seeing my grandfather die from emphysema when I was a kid killed any desire I had to smoke.  He couldn't even walk across the room without stopping to catch his breath.  He made me promise to never smoke, and I'm so glad I kept that promise.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3658 on: March 03, 2021, 11:53:45 AM »

Seeing my grandfather die from emphysema when I was a kid killed any desire I had to smoke.  He couldn't even walk across the room without stopping to catch his breath.  He made me promise to never smoke, and I'm so glad I kept that promise.
I have a good friend whose son has been dealing (and mostly failing) with cannabis-induced psychosis for the last 20 years.  I'd never touch cannabis even without the smoking hazard. 

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3659 on: March 03, 2021, 12:36:53 PM »
I posted over in Bad Assity...

So in my mind I set an April 1 leave date.  We're nearly FI so I have a good runway.  I then reached out to someone who approached me for a contract role a few months ago.  They were still looking so I signed and quit.  I'll start with them on March 15th and the contract will take me all the way to my FIRE date in Feb 2022.  Leadership was totally floored when I resigned and started panicking over an upcoming big important meeting with the shit client. They wanted me to still attend.  I said nopey nope nope.  If they want to cut my notice short, fine with me.

I'm excited about the new job.  I get to approach it as mostly fun and temporary.
This is a fabulous idea!

Reading this post, I thought how awesome it would be to print up t-shirts that read: “Nopey Nope Nope” and start wearing them to work in the week or so before giving notice. Or heck, once you get to FI and just want to mess with people. When someone asked you to do something unreasonable, could just point to the shirt.

Sorry, I am having a shit week at work, so this is making me fantasize about what could be very soon...

Shane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3660 on: March 03, 2021, 08:34:53 PM »
I have a good friend whose son has been dealing (and mostly failing) with cannabis-induced psychosis for the last 20 years.  I'd never touch cannabis even without the smoking hazard.

Cannabis doesn't 'induce psychosis." People who are psychotic sometimes self-medicate with all kinds of things, including cannabis, but that's not what causes their psychosis. The (often heavy) cannabis use is more a symptom of their underlying mental problems.

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #3661 on: March 03, 2021, 08:38:46 PM »

Our family LOVES this game. And it just got NUTS for us as we just included the expansion packs.
Matt Inman's comics are funny as hell - because it mixes a little vulgar humor with true knowledge and intelligence. Probably why The Simpsons writers have done so well for so long.

Agreed, it has become a friend favorite. Poetry for Neanderthals was a good one with the whole family, young nephew included.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3662 on: March 03, 2021, 10:57:13 PM »

Cannabis doesn't 'induce psychosis." People who are psychotic sometimes self-medicate with all kinds of things, including cannabis, but that's not what causes their psychosis. The (often heavy) cannabis use is more a symptom of their underlying mental problems.
Hard to tell the difference if someone goes from functioning and sane to non-functioning and insane immediately after a heavy bout of smoking though, right?

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3663 on: March 04, 2021, 02:17:43 AM »

According to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5th Edition(DSM-5), also known as the “bible” of mental disorders, also what psychiatrists and psychologists use to diagnose mental disorders, cannabis absolutely can induce psychosis.

ICD-9-CM Code 292.9
ICD-10-CM Code F12.159 (with use disorder, mild), F12.259 (with use disorder, moderate/severe), F12.959 (without use disorder)

Unless you’re telling me you know more than the teams of experts from some of the top universities in the world that were tasked with updating the DSM.

tipster350

• Bristles
« Reply #3664 on: March 04, 2021, 05:47:07 AM »
I can't wait for this thread to get back on topic!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3665 on: March 04, 2021, 06:39:20 AM »
Hahaha, good luck with that!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3666 on: March 04, 2021, 08:50:05 AM »

You just need to come up with an epic FU money story.   ;-)

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3667 on: March 04, 2021, 11:08:22 AM »
None of them are my stories, and it's unclear that any of these are even FU stories, but I'll do my part to try to bring this thread back on track: https://www.monster.com/career-advice/article/4-wild-quitting-job-stories

Love the ingenuity of some people! I'd love to do something like this (almost entirely non-harmful) if I was leaving an employer I loved.

swashbucklinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3668 on: March 04, 2021, 01:47:27 PM »
I've got a potential one brewing in a 2000 person company.

9(!!!!!!!!) months ago a person who reports to the C suite indicated they'd like to give me 3 of their 4 subroles as an "apprentice" which is code for "without losing credit for it for a few months in case my new roles don't work out." It's influential work and very poorly defined, which is appropriate for that person's level, which is two levels above mine, and represents a shift in career direction to a new vertical. So I asked about title and pay to help me decide, hearing "we'll get back to you" which is fair since this involves multiple people. I wasn't thrilled with having to bring those things up to the C suite nor several of the follow-ups from leadership who basically expect me to immediately take them up on it.

In the meantime I've been declining meeting invitations associated with the role, or attending and declining most action items, which has undoubtedly ruffled some feathers. I've held steady, buoyed by the fact that the average tenure in these roles has been < 1 year, with the big wigs kicking you out or people burning out, and we get raises annually... This otherwise has been the right move, since I'm (correctly) on my own in delegating current tasks to make room.

Last week we got annual review promotions and I got one and a very healthy raise, but I happen to know these roles were not a part of that calculus. I think senior management is going to have a conniption fit when they approach me soon with "now that that's settled..." and I interrupt them to say "I was promoted to level 5 because I'm doing level 5 work. If you want me to do level 6 work in the other vertical I'm still waiting for information on title and pay to help me make that choice."
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 01:50:17 PM by swashbucklinstache »

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3669 on: March 04, 2021, 02:41:53 PM »
In the meantime I've been declining meeting invitations associated with the role, or attending and declining most action items, which has undoubtedly ruffled some feathers.

Nice, good play.  Follow up later when you can, curious to hear how things play out.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #3670 on: March 04, 2021, 02:42:47 PM »
Live action report (well, inaction on their part) - indeed epic!

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3671 on: March 08, 2021, 04:02:11 PM »
I don't have an epic FU money story. But this post by @SwordGuy , on this thread, in 2016 got my brain cogs spinning:
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/epic-fu-money-stories/msg1110522/#msg1110522

Things at my previous job weren't going well. Every other week I (along with my lead network engineer) were the whipping boys of a high-level gov civilian in the DoD. (The engineer who was the whipping boy in my "respite week" is my current director.) There came a time, after a year of whippings, that I took my manager outside the office and told him I was tired of working with a shitty software product, which I had assessed 18 months prior and said it was worse than a sack of manure, yet the agency purchased it. The vendor support was piss-poor, and the gov oversight was getting into my underwear. I asked for another job within the company. My manager said no, I had to stay to work and complete the project in the next 6 months as it was high-visibilty. Later that week, I read the above-mentioned post on this thread. Took my boss outside, told him I was ready to quit. He asked me about money; I said I had enough saved up. (Between rental income and my wife's earnings, we would be fine.) In addition, I was also wearing 2 other hats, so they'd need 2-3 people to replace me. He gave me a 10% raise on the spot, and got me a bonus $10k a week later. He thought that would satisfy someone with FU money. A couple of months later, after several interviews, and taking my time to pick, I went with a small business where I had latitude to do many different things, instead of being stuck in a Fortune 500 where I was just another billable butt-in-seat resource.

Thanks to FU money and advice on this forum, I'm now making 33% more than I did 3 years ago (not counting for inflation). I have a flex-work schedule, zero management and gov people sitting on my head.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 02:43:48 PM by jinga nation »

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #3672 on: March 08, 2021, 04:21:03 PM »
10% raise on the spot + $10K bonus should be insulting. Company (and this manager specifically) was underpaying you for quite a while if they could do that pretty much instantaneously. Great move getting out of there!

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3673 on: March 08, 2021, 05:58:26 PM »
10% raise on the spot + $10K bonus should be insulting. Company (and this manager specifically) was underpaying you for quite a while if they could do that pretty much instantaneously. Great move getting out of there!
He was a company man. I was being paid par-for-the-course at the time, and it was a convenient place to work since my kids were in the onsite daycare. There wasn't any potential for technical growith, and I didn't want to become management. I had started playing with cloud infrastructure at my desk in my spare time and got noticed by the co-worker/fellow whipping boy. He ended up hiring me a few months after he left. He's my director now and is a pretty good chap who recognizes talent and tries to hold on to them

alcon835

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3674 on: March 08, 2021, 06:03:00 PM »
What I really want to know, what did your boss say when you told him you were quitting after all, a few weeks later?

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3675 on: March 08, 2021, 06:48:42 PM »
What I really want to know, what did your boss say when you told him you were quitting after all, a few weeks later?
He was a big fan of phrases/sayings, the midwesterner he was.
So I told him I wasn't impressed by his batting average.
And that a blind man could have been batting better than his attempts to get me anything bigger.
And that I had to take care of myself, my family, and my health (mental in this case).
^all 3 were verbatim phrases he'd say all the time.
It left him gobsmacked. He tried to say something, 3 seconds of incoherent mumbling, and then he put out his hand and said he wished me all the best. He acknowledged at my leaving lunch that it would be hard to replace me. 
I moved to a building right across from my old workplace, and sometimes I have to go to his department for a meeting with engineers there, and end up meeting him. But he's been polite and cordial since (he got promoted).

Another bonus of being a Mustachian and ex-Boglehead is that at my current employer, I complained about our crappy 401k. The owners told me to write up a paper showing proof, which convinced them. Ended up moving the 401k to Guideline, reducing employer fees/costs by 77%.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 06:56:06 PM by jinga nation »

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #3676 on: March 08, 2021, 07:34:16 PM »
Another bonus of being a Mustachian and ex-Boglehead is that at my current employer, I complained about our crappy 401k. The owners told me to write up a paper showing proof, which convinced them. Ended up moving the 401k to Guideline, reducing employer fees/costs by 77%.

Nice job on that one!

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3677 on: March 09, 2021, 03:25:34 AM »
I don't have an epic FU money story. But this post by @SwordGuy , on this thread, in 2016 got my brain cogs spinning:
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/epic-fu-money-stories/msg1110522/#msg1110522

Things at my previous job weren't going well. Every other week I (along with my lead network engineer) were the whipping boys of a high-level gov civilian in the DoD. (The engineer who was the whipping boy in my "respite week" in my current director.) There came a time, after a year of whippings, that I took my manager outside the office and told him I was tired of working with a shitty software product, which I had assessed 18 months prior and said it was worse than a sack of manure, yet the agency purchased it. The vendor support was piss-poor, and the gov oversight was getting into my underwear. I asked for another job within the company. My manager said no, I had to stay to work and complete the project in the next 6 months as it was high-visibilty. Later that week, I read the above-mentioned post on this thread. Took my boss outside, told him I was ready to quit. He asked me about money; I said I had enough saved up. (Between rental income and my wife's earnings, we would be fine.) In addition, I was also wearing 2 other hats, so they'd need 2-3 people to replace me. He gave me a 10% raise on the spot, and got me a bonus $10k a week later. He thought that would satisfy someone with FU money. A couple of months later, after several interviews, and taking my time to pick, I went with a small business where I had latitude to do many different things, instead of being stuck in a Fortune 500 where I was just another billable butt-in-seat resource.

Thanks to FU money and advice on this forum, I'm now making 33% more than I did 3 years ago (not counting for inflation). I have a flex-work schedule, zero management and gov people sitting on my head.

Good for you! Even when you actually have genuine FU money, it can be difficult to actually make use of it - fear of the unknown etc.

alcon835

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3678 on: March 09, 2021, 06:35:25 AM »

Ha! I love it! I did something similar, got the company to add a match to the 401k last year. This year I've almost got them to adopt "True up" so we don't have to meter the contributions out over 26 paychecks and potentially miss a match or two at the end of year!

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3679 on: March 09, 2021, 07:15:11 AM »
I have declined two pointless meetings this week without giving a reason. No one has asked so far.

bbqbonelesswing

• Bristles
« Reply #3680 on: March 09, 2021, 07:51:37 AM »
I have declined two pointless meetings this week without giving a reason. No one has asked so far.

Yes!! I love this. Keep it up. I'm trying to decline more meetings myself and have found that usually, nobody asks or cares why I didn't go.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3681 on: March 09, 2021, 09:19:58 AM »

Yes!! I love this. Keep it up. I'm trying to decline more meetings myself and have found that usually, nobody asks or cares why I didn't go.

I get added to random meetings. The worse part is a lack of agenda or topics to discuss. Hence I don't attend. They haven't noticed. It has been 3 years at the customer site.
(I've always made it a point to provide attendees with an agenda in meetings I set up to make it productive and quick.)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3682 on: March 09, 2021, 10:47:48 AM »

I get added to random meetings. The worse part is a lack of agenda or topics to discuss. Hence I don't attend. They haven't noticed. It has been 3 years at the customer site.
(I've always made it a point to provide attendees with an agenda in meetings I set up to make it productive and quick.)

Maybe academia is different? Maybe it's the unions? Every place I've taught, agendas had to be sent out well in advance.  The really effective meeting chairs put a start time on each item.  Hmm, nope, not just work, all my non-work groups have agendas for their meetings.  If there isn't an agenda it is a social get-together, not a meeting.

You hang out with a lazy/sloppy crowd.

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3683 on: March 09, 2021, 11:25:07 AM »

Oh man, I'm jealous.  Someone of some level of importance would notice if I skipped a meeting.  This has less to do with my importance and more to do with the level of micromanaging that has become the norm in my department.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3684 on: March 09, 2021, 11:43:31 AM »

Maybe academia is different? Maybe it's the unions? Every place I've taught, agendas had to be sent out well in advance.  The really effective meeting chairs put a start time on each item.  Hmm, nope, not just work, all my non-work groups have agendas for their meetings.  If there isn't an agenda it is a social get-together, not a meeting.

Sir, this is the DoD/FedGov. Thank you for the compliments.
Don't forget to pay your taxes. Uncle Sam loves you.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3685 on: March 09, 2021, 11:57:36 AM »

Oh man, I'm jealous.  Someone of some level of importance would notice if I skipped a meeting.  This has less to do with my importance and more to do with the level of micromanaging that has become the norm in my department.
Maybe not, if you are not on the agenda, outta sight, outta mind might apply. 
If there isn't an agenda or at least a script for daily meetings then, nearly by definition, it is useless.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3686 on: March 09, 2021, 12:13:32 PM »
@jinga nation I think that was epic!

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3687 on: March 09, 2021, 12:16:23 PM »

If there isn't an agenda or at least a script for daily meetings then, nearly by definition, it is useless.
We don't always have an agenda but I tend to get asked questions a lot.  Plus my manager is in almost all of my meetings, and is very much a micromanager.  I can assure you they would notice. 

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3688 on: March 09, 2021, 01:01:50 PM »
And we are not big on meetings...

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3689 on: March 09, 2021, 01:10:23 PM »

We don't always have an agenda but I tend to get asked questions a lot.  Plus my manager is in almost all of my meetings, and is very much a micromanager.  I can assure you they would notice.
Start slow and avoid the useless meetings that your manager _doesn't_ attend.
Or stroke the ego, and say "this is a management level meeting, I'll give you all the info needed".
Or if you have and desire to use FU money, just don't go.   Have a critical gig going at those times.    YMMV

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3690 on: March 09, 2021, 02:22:30 PM »

Sorry, my built-in editor had the urge to make some revisions.    ;-)

>>>>>

Ma'am, this is the DoD/FedGov. Thank you for the compliments.
Don't forget to pay your taxes. Uncle Sam loves you.  You are a Canadian, Uncle Sam isn't sure how he feels about you.  You don't pay any taxes here. Do you buy lots of American goods?  Do you spend lots of money here on vacation?

Smokystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3691 on: March 09, 2021, 02:53:14 PM »

My old faculty meetings had agendas - but you still couldn't pay me enough to go back to one. A bunch of PhDs sitting in a room and everyone thinks they know more than everyone else and has to get their $.02 in. Doesn't matter if they have any expertise on the topic - Enrollments down? I've got a few ideas for Admissions!!  - Low fundraising?? Why don't they try this! 

The only thing that saved us was the room was needed for the next class at 2pm. Have to go! Ugh.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3692 on: March 10, 2021, 06:00:46 AM »

My old faculty meetings had agendas - but you still couldn't pay me enough to go back to one. A bunch of PhDs sitting in a room and everyone thinks they know more than everyone else and has to get their $.02 in. Doesn't matter if they have any expertise on the topic - Enrollments down? I've got a few ideas for Admissions!!  - Low fundraising?? Why don't they try this! 

The only thing that saved us was the room was needed for the next class at 2pm. Have to go! Ugh.

Our meetings were useful only because everyone had to  be out at the scheduled end time, we all had classes to get to.  And yes academics can talk forever - it is what we are paid to do, after all.  We didn't want the second half of the agenda tabled until the next time because we ran out of time, that way lies madness. 

I've seen the endless yak-yak at non-work meetings too, especially executive meetings.  Some people seem to see meetings as social time.  I don't but then I am an introvert, let's just get the agenda covered and be done!  Even if "done" is really meeting followed by social time, let's keep them separate!

bbqbonelesswing

• Bristles
« Reply #3693 on: March 10, 2021, 08:00:40 AM »

Our meetings were useful only because everyone had to  be out at the scheduled end time, we all had classes to get to.  And yes academics can talk forever - it is what we are paid to do, after all.  We didn't want the second half of the agenda tabled until the next time because we ran out of time, that way lies madness. 

I've seen the endless yak-yak at non-work meetings too, especially executive meetings.  Some people seem to see meetings as social time.  I don't but then I am an introvert, let's just get the agenda covered and be done!  Even if "done" is really meeting followed by social time, let's keep them separate!

My manager looooves to turn meetings into social time. Commonly heard at the end of the set meeting time: "Does anyone have a hard stop?"

Nutty

• Stubble
  • Late but haven't missed the train.
« Reply #3694 on: March 10, 2021, 10:19:46 AM »
My manager looooves to turn meetings into social time. Commonly heard at the end of the set meeting time: "Does anyone have a hard stop?"
I might have worked for that one too.  Yes, I do have a hard stop if you expect me to complete my projects by your imposed deadline.  Several people would clutch their phones and excuse themselves, never to return.  Some people would have their coworker call them with a "get out of meeting free" call.  Good friends will cover for you.

I've walked out of meetings that strayed from an agenda.  I've also took control, imposed my agenda and adjourned them early.  I've got work to do and this ain't it.

BTW, quitting time can be a hard stop too.  I've got better places to be.  Don't get me wrong, I love my paycheck, er, company during working hours.  :)

BussoV6

• Bristles
« Reply #3695 on: March 11, 2021, 03:23:48 AM »

I'm the one with a hard stop everytime a meeting threatens to run over. I also decline anything where I don't see the value as being worth my time.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3696 on: March 11, 2021, 04:47:02 AM »
The really effective meeting chairs put a start time on each item.
And the people who get things done put an end time to a meeting (and adhere to it).

Our meetings were useful only because everyone had to  be out at the scheduled end time, we all had classes to get to.

LOL see? QED!

If there is a definitive end, people will only talk about the important things once they get used to it. And people who can't do that (there is always one ego too big) get the social distancing treatment and learn it after a bit - or leave one way or the other.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3697 on: March 11, 2021, 09:02:50 AM »
The really effective meeting chairs put a start time on each item.
And the people who get things done put an end time to a meeting (and adhere to it).

Our meetings were useful only because everyone had to  be out at the scheduled end time, we all had classes to get to.

LOL see? QED!

If there is a definitive end, people will only talk about the important things once they get used to it. And people who can't do that (there is always one ego too big) get the social distancing treatment and learn it after a bit - or leave one way or the other.

Exactly.  The start time for an item is the end time for the previous item, so that works.  Our last agenda item was always "any other business"  so it could be super short or horribly long.  Definitely an end time had to be there.  Plus people learned that anything important needed its own agenda spot since AOB tended to not be the best place for informed discussion.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #3698 on: March 11, 2021, 12:49:40 PM »
More of a "polite no thank you" than an FU, but it was still very satisfying.

DW and I hit FI last year, but she still really likes her work. They clearly like her too because they offered her a promotion this spring. It'd be a nice raise for her and we think she will enjoy the new role even more than the current one. The only problem is her current contract is 186 days a year and the new one is 220 and losing seven weeks of potential travel would not be worth it.  So, she told them she would love the job, but is only willing to work a 200 day contract. Even though it's still a substantial raise, they seemed surprised she didn't mind giving up 20 days of pay. Once they realized she was serious they accepted her proposal. FI means she didn't have to choose between career advancement and having time off to enjoy life.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #3699 on: March 11, 2021, 01:22:49 PM »
May not be FU, but certainly EPIC @Alternatepriorities!