Author Topic: Epic FU money stories  (Read 2794914 times)

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Epic FU money stories
« Reply #3350 on: October 19, 2020, 12:51:17 PM »
No, I would not tell your current employer where you're going.  I think it would be appropriate in your exit survey to state things like "Lack of autonomy" or "Lack of opportunity for professional growth," or even "poor project management" but having been down that path before, it's a Sisyphean task.  HR won't care what you write--they're only doing it because it's part of the procedure, and they're not the decision-makers, so your feedback is irrelevant to them.  And Management  is unlikely to care, either--they're too wrapped up in other things to read an exiting employee's feedback.  From what I've seen/read/heard, the only way to force a change is to either A) get into management yourself, or B) become such a key employee (i.e. indispensable AND known and respected a couple layers up) that you have some leverage, and even then, you're unlikely to effect any change.

What I'd suggest is 1) document EVERYTHING, and store it offsite, 2) network with the people who ARE competent.  Who knows, maybe your new employer will be awesome, and also need to hire more people, and you could help your new employer snipe/rescue some people from your old workplace.

I know I'm late to this game but I really like @zolotiyeruki 's response- ditto. When I left my first company, I also didn't officially tell the company where I was going. It became sort of a game in the days leading up to my departure: people would run up to my cube and kept guessing where they thought I was going. Most were wrong, and I only confirmed where I was actually going about a month later. Even then I only confirmed it with the competent people that I was/still am close with (#2 above). 

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3351 on: October 19, 2020, 02:09:09 PM »
I work in HR and on behalf of all those trying to treat employees like human beings and not like pixels on a screen, I am sorry. How awful.

Enjoy your new found freedom!
How does HR experience impact your read on this entire thread?

I've been avidly following this thread for years, not through an HR lens, but through a FIRE lens.
+1 I'm in HR too, but both here and at work, I'm basically always rooting for people, even when I have to do my job around them. We had a guy leave a toxic manager last month, for a great position and I was privately thrilled for him. Although I gave him the standard line, "We wish you all the best in your future endeavors," I really meant it. I did my job in a professional manner, but I don't run HR or the company. Everyone knows that manager is toxic, and there are 3 more good employees getting set to leave because of him too, but he's got the backing of some high level execs that love him and there's not a thing I could ever do about it.

Been in that situation, been that engineer who was the first of many to walk out the door. This was young me, in my 2nd full-time job, in a Fortune 500.
The high-level exec was protected because he was doing what was required of him, to get rid of the talent, after ensuring process were documented and people had been cross-trained in Puerto Rico and Bangalore.
People don't matter if the focus is solely on the bottom line to deliver shareholder value. At all short-term costs.
Gave a lot of (useful, to me) information to my director during the exit interview. My team lead told me it was waste of time, management would use it as proof they're on the right track to outsourcing our work.

Always say nice things on your way out, not the real truth. You want the new employer to get a good feedback about you. Never ever voluntarily tell your old employer where you're going.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 08:24:12 AM by jinga nation »

blurkraken22

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Location: The southernmost, shallowest, and smallest by volume of the Great Lakes
  • C:。ミ
« Reply #3352 on: October 21, 2020, 06:37:17 PM »
It could be that this is the first time she ever saw her behavior through another person's eyes.  You might be the catalyst that makes her change the way she treats people for the better.  If not, you have likely been the first chink in the wall that will eventually come crumbling down around her. 

Good for you!
I really like this response because it assumes that the antagonist can change. In fact, the most epic story of all would be the one where the office bully woke up, realized what they were doing, and changed their behavior.

I did not grow up with good role models at home for providing constructive feedback and helping people improve their behavior. I also worked mostly alone for the first few years of my career (it was the nature of that role). Eventually, being a top performer in my group, my manager began asking me to mentor and coach newer engineers. Alas, at first I was clumsy and overly critical when I started trying to teach. I have rubbed people the wrong way. In retrospect, I can even say I was the ass hat. As often happens (particularly to young engineers), I thought being technically correct was more important than my colleague's feelings. It's a sort of "let's talk facts and keep feelings out of it" mindset. How naive to think that people can really do that. Eventually I learned that if you're trying to teach someone and they're not "getting it", as the teacher it's your responsibility to package the message in a format the learner can consume.

I was lucky to meet a very very good mentor right around the time I started working in a more team-oriented environment, but my path could have been quite different. Sometimes people are just being ass hots because they see something wrong, want to fix it, but don't have the communications skills to address it well.

By no means am I suggesting we enable bullies. That's not the solution at all. But to go and professionally explain to them why their behavior is not making the situation better might trigger a better story line. And if it does not, a documented conversation along these lines will be a great thing to submit to supervisor or HR down the road if this person cannot improve.

TLDL: If you're calm and a good communicator, you can put the office bully on a PIP. :D

EDIT: I always find ways to improve clarity after hitting the post button.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 06:32:55 AM by blurkraken22 »

jamaicaspanish

• Stubble
« Reply #3353 on: October 21, 2020, 07:58:27 PM »
I teach Spanish and English as a retirement side gig.
One of my clients taught me one of the greatest lessons ever. Truly perspective-shifting.
She asked me to rephrase my feedback question from 
Do you understand?
to
Am I explaining it well?

I try to embrace the responsibility of reaching the student, not just expecting the student to make progress.
Kind of Mountain and Mohammed stuff.
I hope I explained that well.

AO1FireTo

• Stubble
« Reply #3354 on: October 21, 2020, 08:04:50 PM »
One of my clients taught me one of the greatest lessons ever. Truly perspective-shifting.
Do you understand?
to
Am I explaining it well?

I try to embrace the responsibility of reaching the student, not just expecting the student to make progress.

Love it!!!  I am going to start using that with my daughter.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3355 on: October 22, 2020, 04:31:35 AM »
Do you understand?
to
Am I explaining it well?

Love it!!!  I am going to start using that with my daughter.
It even gets a bonus point because it "creates" the option of "you explained well, but I still don't understand". Which means that not the same information in a different way, but additional information is needed.

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3356 on: October 24, 2020, 08:40:34 AM »
Do you understand?
to
Am I explaining it well?

I've always said "Does that make sense?" but I think I'm going to switch to this above.

SereneOne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3357 on: October 24, 2020, 05:35:36 PM »
This thread has entertained me greatly over the past few weeks. I created an account just to submit my story. It didn't seem epic at the time but it felt BA to type it out.

Here's a story from many years ago...more about FU skills than FU money. This experience taught me alot about myself and work/life balance. Some bridges deserve to be burned and the earth salted.

I'm a school psychologist in a school. This position is in major demand in my state because there is no one else in the district who can do a part of our job (test students to help determine if there is a disability). I leave District A as the only psychologist because the then superintendent who was retiring refused to give me a raise I requested. I loved the culture at District A and the people but felt I needed to make the move for my career. District B had a higher salary scale and more opportunity for upward mobility. 

August: I made the move to District B after their two psychologists retired. I was hired and they were working on hiring another person. The school district is too big for just one of us and the state has rules limiting how many students I can serve. All is going well until I start being asked to do additional work beyond my contracted day. 

September
: Usually, "extra work" is expected in my role but they still hadn't filled the other psychlogist's spot as yet so I could see they were aiming to have me do the job of two people. I emailed the superintendent and told her I'd be more than happy to contract with them after my hours to do any additional work they needed. This was the beginning of the craziest school year of all time. This incident was when apparently I poisoned the superintendent against me. In September!!! I was told there was absolutely no way they would contract with me, I was relieved of several other responsibilities and told to prioritize my day appropriately. I'll admit to being flabbergasted but I continued to do my work (not the extra and went on about my day). I'll admit to being a little naive since I thought this was over and I'd stay in my corner. 

October: I got the flu and took several days off. My wife and kids all got the flu and I took more days off. In my state, sick time is a state provided benefit (it transfers with you from school to school) and I was actually sick so I took a total of 8 days off in a 14 day period. My job is very deadline driven (federal requirements), so I did work while sick, came in for half days and missed ZERO deadlines. 

November: I come into work and was handed a letter of reprimand by my supervisor. I'm the straightest of the straight arrows out there so this was a bit shocking. After the shock I ask about my rights as an employee and ask pointed questions about why I was being treated significantly different than any other employee regarding a state benefit. These questions did nothing to endear me to the superintendent (S), assistant superintendent (AS) or my supervisor. I wrote a letter of appeal outlining why what was being done was discrimination and potentially illegal. I was asked to get a doctor's note for every instance of illness. Annoying but easily done and no one else had to do this. Just me. 

I remember clearly meeting with S and telling her that I didn't want a fight. I just wanted to be allowed to do my job and do it well since I was good at it. After all I had missed zero deadlines and every objective measure was positive. She said she didn't want to fight either. I thought she softened but then she said I "would do what she told me to do, no questions asked." I laughed and said, "ok, so it's going to be a fight then." I do nothing outside of contracted hours and stay late 

***The reader may be asking themselves why I didn't quit at this point. I considered it but in my state you can have your license suspended for up to a year (no work) for leaving in the middle of a school year. I had babies at home and my wife was stay at home. I didn't have THAT much FU money***

December: Another letter of reprimand this month, I can't remember what about. Most likely insubordination because I flat out said "no" several times. They couldn't fire me because they needed me. They were just trying to make me miserable.

No additional psychologist has been hired. The S, AS and supervisor start to realize that I will reach my caseload maximum soon. I've been tracking every single student I have contact with and realize I'll be done in January at this pace. My role is significantly limited at this point, I have to share a weekly calendar with them and they give me additional responsibilities (!!!!) that were pretty much BS paperwork and busywork. At this point my direct supervisor begins to realize that I'm good at my job and I've done everything that's been asked of me. He gives me a positive mid-year evaluation!!! :D S and AS are pissed. This positive evaluation becomes a giant hammer I use to beat back any negative thing S or AS say against me.

January: I get emailed a laundry list of new tasks for me to complete. I email back and say I won't be doing any of those. What is being asked of me is unethical and potentially illegal. I was asked to supervise a teacher. Something I had never done was not qualified to do. This is when I started to cc the school board on everything and get the teacher's union involved (I am non union). S requests a meeting with the AS and my direct supervisor to go over my new tasks. At this point I had a two year contract with the school. Although employees cannot break contract in the middle of a school year we can leave between school years. I clarified with a state education department lawyer in September. In our meeting I make the mistake (at the end of the meeting while I was getting up) of saying that I'd get them through to the end of the year following all the rules and laws, without missing any deadlines.

The superintendent set her jaw and stated I had a two year contract and they were not releasing me. I laughed and said what I stated above about leaving between years per the state education department lawyer. The superintendent said again that she would refuse to release me. I looked around, stood up, laughed incredulously and said, "I'm not sure what about I just said you didn't understand. I. WILL. NOT. BE. HERE. NEXT SCHOOL YEAR." I did it slowly enough like I thought she didn't understand English then walked out.

I leave this meeting and file a complaint with the Office of Civil rights (OCR) and the equal opportunity commission (EEOC) about withholding of a state issued benefit (sick leave). There was a time limit on when I could complain from the time the incident happened.

February: Turns out my old district A superintendent did retire and hired my friend, a former principal who knew me and my work well. The new psychologist was not working out well for them. They posted my old job again so I applied and got it with a small raise. :) AS and S hear about this through the area grapevine and they are pissed. 

Superintendent receives the official OCR and EEOC complaint. From this point there is ABSOLUTE radio silence. It was eerie. There was zero contact from S or AS. I'm assuming their lawyer recommended it.

March-May: I get to do my job (just my part) with no extra work. AS tells me they wish they had taken me up on my offer to contract with them. Me too. They had to hire a local clinical psych who charged them an arm and a leg. I turn my letter of resignation into the district on the absolute last possible day. :D 

One year later: The school board changed. The superintendent was demoted to being a teacher. Not even kidding. I think there was something in her contract about guaranteed employment so they demoted her. The AS was demoted to principal. My supervisor resigned after it was found out he was sleeping with a teacher he supervised. He was married. I'm thinking I wasn't the issue here.

This has just been a bad memory since then. I'm still at District A for the time being. I see another FU moment shaping up. My friend, the current superintendent is training me in a school finance area that only she and I know how to do. She is planning on retiring this year. :)

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3358 on: October 24, 2020, 05:43:18 PM »
This thread has entertained me greatly over the past few weeks. I created an account just to submit my story. It didn't seem epic at the time but it felt BA to type it out.

Here's a story from many years ago...more about FU skills than FU money. This experience taught me alot about myself and work/life balance. Some bridges deserve to be burned and the earth salted.

I'm a school psychologist in a school. This position is in major demand in my state because there is no one else in the district who can do a part of our job (test students to help determine if there is a disability). I leave District A as the only psychologist because the then superintendent who was retiring refused to give me a raise I requested. I loved the culture at District A and the people but felt I needed to make the move for my career. District B had a higher salary scale and more opportunity for upward mobility.

August: I made the move to District B after their two psychologists retired. I was hired and they were working on hiring another person. The school district is too big for just one of us and the state has rules limiting how many students I can serve. All is going well until I start being asked to do additional work beyond my contracted day.

September
: Usually, "extra work" is expected in my role but they still hadn't filled the other psychlogist's spot as yet so I could see they were aiming to have me do the job of two people. I emailed the superintendent and told her I'd be more than happy to contract with them after my hours to do any additional work they needed. This was the beginning of the craziest school year of all time. This incident was when apparently I poisoned the superintendent against me. In September!!! I was told there was absolutely no way they would contract with me, I was relieved of several other responsibilities and told to prioritize my day appropriately. I'll admit to being flabbergasted but I continued to do my work (not the extra and went on about my day). I'll admit to being a little naive since I thought this was over and I'd stay in my corner.

October: I got the flu and took several days off. My wife and kids all got the flu and I took more days off. In my state, sick time is a state provided benefit (it transfers with you from school to school) and I was actually sick so I took a total of 8 days off in a 14 day period. My job is very deadline driven (federal requirements), so I did work while sick, came in for half days and missed ZERO deadlines.

November: I come into work and was handed a letter of reprimand by my supervisor. I'm the straightest of the straight arrows out there so this was a bit shocking. After the shock I ask about my rights as an employee and ask pointed questions about why I was being treated significantly different than any other employee regarding a state benefit. These questions did nothing to endear me to the superintendent (S), assistant superintendent (AS) or my supervisor. I wrote a letter of appeal outlining why what was being done was discrimination and potentially illegal. I was asked to get a doctor's note for every instance of illness. Annoying but easily done and no one else had to do this. Just me.

I remember clearly meeting with S and telling her that I didn't want a fight. I just wanted to be allowed to do my job and do it well since I was good at it. After all I had missed zero deadlines and every objective measure was positive. She said she didn't want to fight either. I thought she softened but then she said I "would do what she told me to do, no questions asked." I laughed and said, "ok, so it's going to be a fight then." I do nothing outside of contracted hours and stay late

***The reader may be asking themselves why I didn't quit at this point. I considered it but in my state you can have your license suspended for up to a year (no work) for leaving in the middle of a school year. I had babies at home and my wife was stay at home. I didn't have THAT much FU money***

December: Another letter of reprimand this month, I can't remember what about. Most likely insubordination because I flat out said "no" several times. They couldn't fire me because they needed me. They were just trying to make me miserable.

No additional psychologist has been hired. The S, AS and supervisor start to realize that I will reach my caseload maximum soon. I've been tracking every single student I have contact with and realize I'll be done in January at this pace. My role is significantly limited at this point, I have to share a weekly calendar with them and they give me additional responsibilities (!!!!) that were pretty much BS paperwork and busywork. At this point my direct supervisor begins to realize that I'm good at my job and I've done everything that's been asked of me. He gives me a positive mid-year evaluation!!! :D S and AS are pissed. This positive evaluation becomes a giant hammer I use to beat back any negative thing S or AS say against me.

January: I get emailed a laundry list of new tasks for me to complete. I email back and say I won't be doing any of those. What is being asked of me is unethical and potentially illegal. I was asked to supervise a teacher. Something I had never done was not qualified to do. This is when I started to cc the school board on everything and get the teacher's union involved (I am non union). S requests a meeting with the AS and my direct supervisor to go over my new tasks. At this point I had a two year contract with the school. Although employees cannot break contract in the middle of a school year we can leave between school years. I clarified with a state education department lawyer in September. In our meeting I make the mistake (at the end of the meeting while I was getting up) of saying that I'd get them through to the end of the year following all the rules and laws, without missing any deadlines.

The superintendent set her jaw and stated I had a two year contract and they were not releasing me. I laughed and said what I stated above about leaving between years per the state education department lawyer. The superintendent said again that she would refuse to release me. I looked around, stood up, laughed incredulously and said, "I'm not sure what about I just said you didn't understand. I. WILL. NOT. BE. HERE. NEXT SCHOOL YEAR." I did it slowly enough like I thought she didn't understand English then walked out.

I leave this meeting and file a complaint with the Office of Civil rights (OCR) and the equal opportunity commission (EEOC) about withholding of a state issued benefit (sick leave). There was a time limit on when I could complain from the time the incident happened.

February: Turns out my old district A superintendent did retire and hired my friend, a former principal who knew me and my work well. The new psychologist was not working out well for them. They posted my old job again so I applied and got it with a small raise. :) AS and S hear about this through the area grapevine and they are pissed.

Superintendent receives the official OCR and EEOC complaint. From this point there is ABSOLUTE radio silence. It was eerie. There was zero contact from S or AS. I'm assuming their lawyer recommended it.

March-May: I get to do my job (just my part) with no extra work. AS tells me they wish they had taken me up on my offer to contract with them. Me too. They had to hire a local clinical psych who charged them an arm and a leg. I turn my letter of resignation into the district on the absolute last possible day. :D

One year later: The school board changed. The superintendent was demoted to being a teacher. Not even kidding. I think there was something in her contract about guaranteed employment so they demoted her. The AS was demoted to principal. My supervisor resigned after it was found out he was sleeping with a teacher he supervised. He was married. I'm thinking I wasn't the issue here.

This has just been a bad memory since then. I'm still at District A for the time being. I see another FU moment shaping up. My friend, the current superintendent is training me in a school finance area that only she and I know how to do. She is planning on retiring this year. :)

Glad you joined to post that.  What a crazy story.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3359 on: October 25, 2020, 02:03:15 AM »
Yeah. Holy shit.

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3360 on: October 25, 2020, 03:45:16 AM »
@SereneOne Thats truly epic and definitely belongs in the hall-of-fame! And welcome to the forum!

bbqbonelesswing

• Bristles
« Reply #3361 on: October 25, 2020, 08:48:03 AM »
Totally badass first post!

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3362 on: October 25, 2020, 09:17:02 AM »
snip of awesome story of school district shooting themselves in the foot from their own pettiness.

Excellent story @SereneOne. Also, another male School Psych with an interest in personal finance? It's like two unicorns meeting!!

August: I made the move to District B after their two psychologists retired. I was hired and they were working on hiring another person. The school district is too big for just one of us and the state has rules limiting how many students I can serve. All is going well until I start being asked to do additional work beyond my contracted day.

I would love if you would share (or PM me) what state this is. I do some working with our state association and help with some lobbying efforts and we do not have anything like that state rule. Our state as a whole has about a 1:2800 psych:student ratio at the moment (with some regions being as bad a 1:16,000!!). Would be interesting to see how the state wrote that law.

SereneOne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3363 on: October 25, 2020, 10:06:48 AM »
Ha! Thanks everyone who responded. It was quite the year and I’m glad to be on the forum.

And yes, not too many male school psychs to begin with. I shot you a pm. Your state ratio is something! Ours is nowhere near that high thankfully.

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3364 on: October 25, 2020, 11:44:09 PM »
@SereneOne -- welcome. What a story!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3365 on: October 26, 2020, 02:51:10 PM »
That was a glorious story!

blurkraken22

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Location: The southernmost, shallowest, and smallest by volume of the Great Lakes
« Reply #3366 on: November 01, 2020, 01:56:06 AM »
I finally finished reading the entire thread! Wow! It has been EPIC. I want to thank everyone for their stories. On a personal level, I think this thread has helped me to better tell the difference between petty annoyances and serious work issues. I've been a lot luckier in my career than I realized. TBD: if I can keep the perspective I've learned from this thread or if I'm just getting cantankerous and cranky...

I'm really good at what I'm specializing in, but I'm not good in all aspects of my general job. Let's say I'm much better at designing high quality baskets than at fixing the looms for underwater basket weaving when they break. I'm trying really hard to becoming better at loom fixing, I watch youtube video's about it in my spare time, but trying to improve means I'm asking lots of questions to coworkers and I work slowly which they perceive as me being incompetent. And of course, I am not good at loom fixing, but hey, I'm not a loom mechanic, I never claimed to be, please let me design the fancy baskets that we can sell for $$$ because that's what I'm really good at. When I do get to design it's always a big success.

@Imma Did you make any moves? I was hoping you would manage to find a role that where your main duties would involve design and no obligation to fix looms.

It's a thing. I believe @couponvan is our longest running chain smoker smoke breaker.
Can you tell me more about this concept? I may have had a smoke break by already, but I want to be sure I understand the definition before I say that.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3367 on: November 01, 2020, 07:24:19 AM »
Bravo @SereneOne !!! We should all practice saying "I'm not sure what about I just said you didn't understand. I. WILL. NOT. BE. HERE. NEXT SCHOOL YEAR."  to our shitty employers!

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3368 on: November 01, 2020, 09:11:31 AM »
@blurkraken22 funny you ask today!  I'm officially starting a new job as a basket design auditor today! My previous employer decided to sell off their design devision due to Covid. I had heard rumours and put two and two together so when I was called into the office to be told they were going to let me go, I was able to tell them I had a job interview the next day. I was hired there and will start tomorrow. My previous employer was kind and offered me a generous deal - they acknowledged they had hired me for one thing and then let me do very different work. They agreed my new job would be a better fit and actually recommended me to my new employer.

Tomorrow is my first day of work. I'll be much better paid, better benefits, office is walking distance from home but right now we're 100% work from home. I was asked to defer my last year of grad school (I do evening classes on top of my job) but in return they'll pay my tuition next year and when I get Master of Basket Design degree I'll be able to apply for a better paid position as a senior basket design auditor. I'll still not be able to design myself but I think I will enjoy this job. I enjoyed the auditing parts of my previous job. And we're in the middle of a pandemic and the next few years will be challenging, so a steady, fulltime job with benefits is just what I need. Especially since my partner works in an industry heavily affected by Covid.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 01:05:23 PM by Imma »

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3369 on: November 01, 2020, 09:52:59 AM »
@Imma, that's great news. Congratulations!

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3370 on: November 01, 2020, 02:06:48 PM »

Thanks! I'm really happy with it too. I used to get tons of requests from recruiters on LinkedIn but that stopped as soon as the pandemic happened. I got this job through someone in my network, I didn't actually have to apply.

People tell me how lucky I was, and I am, but it's also been hard work. I've put a lot of effort in my work, I went back for a Master's degree in the evenings (and paid it myself) I put a lot of effort in making connections with people although that's not my natural talent. I was lucky that I was hired for this position but I also put myself in this position where this could happen to me.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3371 on: November 01, 2020, 02:32:21 PM »

Thanks! I'm really happy with it too. I used to get tons of requests from recruiters on LinkedIn but that stopped as soon as the pandemic happened. I got this job through someone in my network, I didn't actually have to apply.

People tell me how lucky I was, and I am, but it's also been hard work. I've put a lot of effort in my work, I went back for a Master's degree in the evenings (and paid it myself) I put a lot of effort in making connections with people although that's not my natural talent. I was lucky that I was hired for this position but I also put myself in this position where this could happen to me.

It may be luck, but it's self-manufactured luck...

Good job!

My wife got a free ride to Emory University for her Masters and PhD, plus a stipend.    It took a bit of luck (she was choice #13 for 12 slots, someone ahead of her went somewhere else), but she did LOTS of extra work to get that #13 slot.   

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3372 on: November 01, 2020, 03:27:22 PM »
People tell me how lucky I was, and I am, but it's also been hard work.

Luck is what people call it so they don't have to feel bad for not putting in the work that lets people take advantage of, or create, the 'lucky' opportunity.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3373 on: November 01, 2020, 03:52:43 PM »
People tell me how lucky I was, and I am, but it's also been hard work.

Luck is what people call it so they don't have to feel bad for not putting in the work that lets people take advantage of, or create, the 'lucky' opportunity.

Yep.

I found this book to be really interesting.    The Luck Factor by Richard Wiseman.

Looks at luck and some studies he did to test the presence or absence of luck, and how to go about increasing luck.

https://www.amazon.com/Richard-Wiseman-Luck-Factor-New/dp/B00N4EXVW8/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=wiseman+luck&qid=1604271035&s=books&sr=1-1

blurkraken22

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3374 on: November 01, 2020, 05:03:08 PM »

You recognized the parts of your job that you loved, separated those parts from the ones you didn't love, and took rational steps to train up and find a job where you could do more of what you love. That sounds like working smart to me, but maybe there's some luck thrown in there too. ;)

I'm glad you've found something that seems to fit so well!

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3375 on: November 01, 2020, 06:56:18 PM »
@blurkraken22 funny you ask today!  I'm officially starting a new job as a basket design auditor today! My previous employer decided to sell off their design devision due to Covid. I had heard rumours and put two and two together so when I was called into the office to be told they were going to let me go, I was able to tell them I had a job interview the next day. I was hired there and will start tomorrow. My previous employer was kind and offered me a generous deal - they acknowledged they had hired me for one thing and then let me do very different work. They agreed my new job would be a better fit and actually recommended me to my new employer.

Tomorrow is my first day of work. I'll be much better paid, better benefits, office is walking distance from home but right now we're 100% work from home. I was asked to defer my last year of grad school (I do evening classes on top of my job) but in return they'll pay my tuition next year and when I get Master of Basket Design degree I'll be able to apply for a better paid position as a senior basket design auditor. I'll still not be able to design myself but I think I will enjoy this job. I enjoyed the auditing parts of my previous job. And we're in the middle of a pandemic and the next few years will be challenging, so a steady, fulltime job with benefits is just what I need. Especially since my partner works in an industry heavily affected by Covid.

@Imma :  Please tell me that "basket design auditor" and "Master of Basket Design degree" are code words for another actual degree/job.
If not, I'll have to rework all my "underwater basket weaving" degree jokes.  Dangit :-)

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3376 on: November 02, 2020, 02:33:09 AM »

@Imma :  Please tell me that "basket design auditor" and "Master of Basket Design degree" are code words for another actual degree/job.
If not, I'll have to rework all my "underwater basket weaving" degree jokes.  Dangit :-)
A friend of mine has a farm near the sea with a wetland that grows willow.  There is a right of common over it, from time immemorial, for fishermen to harvest the willow to make crab and lobster baskets, which they would weave.  So weaving underwater baskets is a time honoured occupation in my part of the world.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3377 on: November 02, 2020, 12:46:35 PM »
But are they actually doing the weaving while underwater...?

😉

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3378 on: November 02, 2020, 01:19:56 PM »

A friend of mine has a farm near the sea with a wetland that grows willow.  There is a right of common over it, from time immemorial, for fishermen to harvest the willow to make crab and lobster baskets, which they would weave.  So weaving underwater baskets is a time honoured occupation in my part of the world.

That piece of information just made one more piece of the linguistic world click into place for me -- thanks!

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3379 on: November 03, 2020, 06:06:46 AM »

Maybe we could change those jokes to a degree in Interpretive Dance? No, there are probably high-paying jobs in that field too.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3380 on: November 03, 2020, 06:37:48 AM »

Maybe we could change those jokes to a degree in Interpretive Dance? No, there are probably high-paying jobs in that field too.

I know everyone on MMM is into STEM subjects, but I know quite a few people with Liberal Arts / Art school degrees who are doing just fine financially and also more than a few people with STEM degrees who are not. I think very few degrees are actually completely useless.

I am not a real underwater basket weaver irl, I can't tell you what I do now but I am open about what I went to school for: history and law.

A degree is just proof you can stick with a project for a few years and that you have gained some knowledge, but in real life other things matter as well: being able to work with coworkers, office politics, creative thinking, entrepreneurship, management skills.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3381 on: November 03, 2020, 10:08:10 AM »
I know someone with a Psych/law degree who is doing just fine.  I also know that not all STEM degrees make you lots of money, as in almost all Biologists.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3382 on: November 03, 2020, 11:47:48 AM »
I know someone with a Psych/law degree who is doing just fine.  I also know that not all STEM degrees make you lots of money, as in almost all Biologists.

A Psych degree can be useful in dealing with clients if you work in the law field. :-)

An update: I have been at my new job for two months and I had a surprising discussion with my boss today. She asked if I would be interested in a manager position half of the time and working as a lawyer the other half. She is not enjoying the manager parts of being a company owner and wants to focus on the legal stuff. So she has been thinking about an external CEO but has not found someone who would fit. She and the officer manager thinks I would be a good fit. It interest me because even though I like parts of the lawyering stuff I also like the development stuff that would come with the position. We will talk further on friday.

The funny thing is that I talked with a friend on Sunday and told that I had 4 months left on my probationary period before my contract would be a normal until further notice contract. I was obviously doing way better than I thought!

My mother also asked today what I had done or will do with the money I got for leaving my previous job. She also had realised that I could not spend all my salary. I told her I would take a really expensive cruise to Antartica to see the penguins when the covid is over and I was saving for retirement. She concluded that I would be a millionaire and I did not deny that.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #3383 on: November 03, 2020, 12:12:14 PM »

A Psych degree can be useful in dealing with clients if you work in the law field. :-)

An update: I have been at my new job for two months and I had a surprising discussion with my boss today. She asked if I would be interested in a manager position half of the time and working as a lawyer the other half. She is not enjoying the manager parts of being a company owner and wants to focus on the legal stuff. So she has been thinking about an external CEO but has not found someone who would fit. She and the officer manager thinks I would be a good fit. It interest me because even though I like parts of the lawyering stuff I also like the development stuff that would come with the position. We will talk further on friday.

The funny thing is that I talked with a friend on Sunday and told that I had 4 months left on my probationary period before my contract would be a normal until further notice contract. I was obviously doing way better than I thought!

My mother also asked today what I had done or will do with the money I got for leaving my previous job. She also had realised that I could not spend all my salary. I told her I would take a really expensive cruise to Antartica to see the penguins when the covid is over and I was saving for retirement. She concluded that I would be a millionaire and I did not deny that.

Good for your mom! It's nice to be respected, too.

I like that you're now in a position of deciding what to do at work based on what you want to do. Looking forward, I imagine that the CEO role would be a great experience for running your own firm later. Sounds like a great option for you.

It's epic how well your FU story really is turning out.

lhamo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3384 on: November 03, 2020, 01:15:11 PM »

Science magazine has a very popular annual "Dance Your Ph.D." competition.  Given the state of higher ed at the moment, I would not be surprised if the chances of getting a paying job based on your interpretive dance version of your dissertation is actually better than just counting on the written version....

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/02/watch-winner-year-s-dance-your-phd-contest

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3385 on: November 04, 2020, 01:45:41 AM »
Don't put all MMM people in one hat, please! I am nearly as far away as STEM as possible. I do work in an IT company now though :D

Wow! That sounds interesting. Personally I always find it boring to do the same thing the whole day. And in this case you might be able to slowly grow into, which is definitely a nice thing.
Talk with your boss that you are doing in a sort of phasing, that would surely be better for both of you.

On a similar topic:
Here in Germany many craftsman will close (or already have) their small business because they can't find a suitable successor (all getting in the age at once, low amount of young people). They would love someone they can show the ropes for a few years and who then takes over the company.
It is that way in the US / Canada too?

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3386 on: November 04, 2020, 02:23:37 AM »

Wow, interesting development!  It can really lead to bigger things ahead!

One caution though - sometimes it can be hard to manage your boss... to have her both "over" you as owner and/or board and "below" you as one of the  persons you should manage.  I have seen it fail.  But I have also seen it succeed.  It really depends a lot on how the now non-CEO owner handles things, especially "in public" where it's visible to the rest of the company and possibly other stakeholders.  You seem like a person who knows where to draw the line, so I think it'll go great.  :)

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3387 on: November 05, 2020, 11:22:47 AM »
Don't put all MMM people in one hat, please! I am nearly as far away as STEM as possible. I do work in an IT company now though :D

Wow! That sounds interesting. Personally I always find it boring to do the same thing the whole day. And in this case you might be able to slowly grow into, which is definitely a nice thing.
Talk with your boss that you are doing in a sort of phasing, that would surely be better for both of you.

On a similar topic:
Here in Germany many craftsman will close (or already have) their small business because they can't find a suitable successor (all getting in the age at once, low amount of young people). They would love someone they can show the ropes for a few years and who then takes over the company.
It is that way in the US / Canada too?

I am planning to discuss some sort of phasing at least for those parts of the job that are not familiar to me.

I am not US/Canada based but I guess that is a pretty universial problem.

Wow, interesting development!  It can really lead to bigger things ahead!

One caution though - sometimes it can be hard to manage your boss... to have her both "over" you as owner and/or board and "below" you as one of the  persons you should manage.  I have seen it fail.  But I have also seen it succeed.  It really depends a lot on how the now non-CEO owner handles things, especially "in public" where it's visible to the rest of the company and possibly other stakeholders.  You seem like a person who knows where to draw the line, so I think it'll go great.  :)

I have thought about it. This is one of points that we have to discuss before I accept the job. I don’t want to end up in a position were this doesn’t work because she undermines me. If it doesn’t work I will be the one that has to leave. If it works it will also fasten my way to FIRE and if it doesn’t it will be an annoyance for a while.

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #3388 on: November 22, 2020, 09:28:17 AM »
At the beginning of COVID, it looked like my job was in jeopardy so we did some quick forecasting and reassured ourselves that without changing any spending we had enough on hand for 6-8 months of expenses, and if we went to a bare bones budget and accessed saving deposits we could easily make it through 2 years of expenses without touching retirement funds. A few months pass and our financial situation is slightly improved as our expenses are naturally reduced with less travel, commuting, eating out, etc and at the same time the reality of job loss is still there (a few coworkers were laid off) so we stayed cautious.

At the end of summer, my husband was called into a meeting at work and presented with a new employment contract set to take effect in 4 days. The new terms would eliminate the weekly day off, severely limit sick days, and had a few other unappealing clauses. They said it was so they could ensure coverage during covid in case anyone got sick, but it really had no provision for isolating if you had symptoms, only if you had a positive test (no days off while waiting for results of test - what?!) This was presented as a take it or leave it - either it takes effect in 4 days or you have no contract and no job. Well, they had no idea that we were not as dependant on the job as they thought so it was an easy choice on our end to "Leave it".

Did I mention that his on-call shift was also set to start in 4 days, and no one else was scheduled for that overtime for the next 2 weeks - just my husband? So they had to scramble to have their small team cover 2 weeks of extra work because they made an ultimatum. Later the manager privately asked, 'isn't this short notice for letting us know you are not continuing in the job?' Uh, yeah. But it's exactly the same 4 days you gave us.

Less than 2 months later and he had 3 job offers - all with his preferred 0.8 FTE schedule, and accepted the one closest to home that just happens to have zero on-call shifts and it's working out great. The job he left had an 'urgent' job posting online until about a week ago.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3389 on: November 22, 2020, 10:13:40 AM »

Did I mention that his on-call shift was also set to start in 4 days, and no one else was scheduled for that overtime for the next 2 weeks - just my husband? So they had to scramble to have their small team cover 2 weeks of extra work because they made an ultimatum. Later the manager privately asked, 'isn't this short notice for letting us know you are not continuing in the job?' Uh, yeah. But it's exactly the same 4 days you gave us.

I think my response would be "Oh! I'd be happy to continue the job! When will you have the contract ready for me to continue the job instead of changing the terms of work?"

Less than 2 months later and he had 3 job offers - all with his preferred 0.8 FTE schedule, and accepted the one closest to home that just happens to have zero on-call shifts and it's working out great. The job he left had an 'urgent' job posting online until about a week ago.

Good for you!

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3390 on: November 22, 2020, 11:45:25 AM »

It's nuts to me how many managers and companies seem to expect a sense of loyalty around things like this.

It's so easy for them to "buy" that loyalty, too, things like contractual notice periods on both sides, etc.

Most American job contracts literally say that it's "at-will" and can be ended by either party at any time. It'd be trivial for companies to add something like "if this contract is ended by the company we will pay a minimum of X weeks/months pay" and actually create some loyalty.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3391 on: November 22, 2020, 12:03:36 PM »
Later the manager privately asked, 'isn't this short notice for letting us know you are not continuing in the job?' Uh, yeah. But it's exactly the same 4 days you gave us.

I find that nonsense so frustrating! Good on you for taking some pre-emptive action cutting your expenses rather than sticking your finger sin your ears.

bbqbonelesswing

• Bristles
« Reply #3392 on: November 22, 2020, 12:43:25 PM »

I love this and I have no sympathy for your husband's previous employer. I've heard similar things from managers in the past when quitting. My response has always been, "well, then why did you push me to quit?" So dumb.

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #3393 on: November 22, 2020, 12:58:03 PM »

I think my response would be "Oh! I'd be happy to continue the job! When will you have the contract ready for me to continue the job instead of changing the terms of work?"

We did consider having him work the new contract schedule until they could find a replacement. But there was zero incentive for him to do so - those would be the worst 2 weeks ever! It would have all the on-call overtime plus missing 2 appointments that were previously set for his days off, and I'm sure all the garbage assignments since they knew he was leaving. Instead he had a few weeks off before even starting to look for a new job.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3394 on: November 22, 2020, 05:40:21 PM »
@halftimer I'm glad you and your husband made the choices that you did. Well done!

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3395 on: November 22, 2020, 07:55:59 PM »
Later the manager privately asked, 'isn't this short notice for letting us know you are not continuing in the job agreeing to be screwed over?'

FTFH

bmjohnson35

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3396 on: November 22, 2020, 08:25:07 PM »
At the beginning of COVID, it looked like my job was in jeopardy so we did some quick forecasting and reassured ourselves that without changing any spending we had enough on hand for 6-8 months of expenses, and if we went to a bare bones budget and accessed saving deposits we could easily make it through 2 years of expenses without touching retirement funds. A few months pass and our financial situation is slightly improved as our expenses are naturally reduced with less travel, commuting, eating out, etc and at the same time the reality of job loss is still there (a few coworkers were laid off) so we stayed cautious.

At the end of summer, my husband was called into a meeting at work and presented with a new employment contract set to take effect in 4 days. The new terms would eliminate the weekly day off, severely limit sick days, and had a few other unappealing clauses. They said it was so they could ensure coverage during covid in case anyone got sick, but it really had no provision for isolating if you had symptoms, only if you had a positive test (no days off while waiting for results of test - what?!) This was presented as a take it or leave it - either it takes effect in 4 days or you have no contract and no job. Well, they had no idea that we were not as dependant on the job as they thought so it was an easy choice on our end to "Leave it".

Congrats.  So many become too dependent on their jobs because of not saving and making poor financial choices.  Employers appear to assume this and their policies often reflect it.  CEO's can drive companies into the ground and walk away with millions when asked to leave, but employees in lower position are often taken for granted.   

alcon835

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3397 on: November 23, 2020, 07:03:13 AM »
That's exactly what FU money was meant for! Great job holding to your guns!

People don't believe me when I tell them money = freedom. Pointing folks to the stories in this thread has really opened a lot of eyes to how the world would look if folks would handle their funds a bit more responsibly!

LightTripper

• Handlebar Stache
  • Rural Londoner. Lazy workaholic. Confused.
« Reply #3398 on: November 23, 2020, 07:19:43 AM »
Great story @halftimer : as the PP said, that is exactly what FU money is for!  Sounds like your OH has really landed on his feet with the new job too - great outcome!

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #3399 on: November 23, 2020, 06:19:43 PM »
Later the manager privately asked, 'isn't this short notice for letting us know you are not continuing in the job agreeing to be screwed over?'

FTFH

Haha! Yes, I'm so glad we were not in a desperate position to have to accept those screwy terms.
I don't think I mentioned it above, but our forecasting included 2 years of expenses covered even if we both lost our jobs. So it was very easy to turn down the new contract.

On the other hand, he is not used to changing jobs so there was definitely some mental stress. It was mitigated knowing that we could wait until the right offer came along, and our finances would be ok. The first offer he got came really fast, but it sounded like a stressful position, had a few red flags about the team he would be working with, and was a long commute away. He declined and waited another 2 weeks until the position he wanted came through.

In the meantime, I have 4.5 weeks of vacation time to use up soon and no where to go. I might just take a mini sabbatical myself.