Author Topic: Epic FU money stories  (Read 2794906 times)

Livingthedream55

• Pencil Stache
Re: Epic FU money stories
« Reply #2950 on: February 24, 2020, 07:50:09 AM »
While a great conversation around sexism, it's not the purpose of this thread. I recommend we pivot the sexism talk to a new thread and leave this one to the FU stories.

I love this thread, have followed it for years now. Would hate to see it spiral away from what it's been for so long.

+1

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2951 on: February 24, 2020, 10:36:44 AM »
Likewise, while I'm not a huge fan of my husband's company culture (lot of old white men),

I'm inspired by the freedom being attained. But I see no need for this race/gender/age stereotyping. Could someone point out to me what negative culture I am carrying around as an old white man?
You personally?  Maybe nothing.

However, the first few years of company picnics and holiday parties at his company?  Let me count the ways.

"How's the baby?"  Great.  "Must be hard."  Yes, especially with a full time job.  "YOU WORK FULL TIME??"  Yes.
"We need your husband to travel in April".  No.  "He needs to be dedicated to his job." Our son is having surgery, fuck off.
"What do you do all day?"  Engineering, same thing he does.  "What, WHY?  You have kids!"  And a mortgage, and by the way we didn't buy a house for $250k in the 1990s bud, they were $750k by the time we bought a house.

On travel: "I'm going to need you to stay through the weekend in case something goes wrong."  Husband: nope, I'm leaving tomorrow (Friday).  Can't stay, wife will kill me.  "I am going to talk to your BOSS, you need to be DEDICATED."  Husband: I've got 2 kids, one of whom is SIX WEEKS OLD.

It's simply the expectation that times are the way they were when these men started work.
- They had cheaper homes (California was easier back then).
- Their wives were at home, or still are, or work part time.
- They could do all the travel they wanted while the little woman held down the home front.
- No need to bother daddy with school holidays, sick kids, or doctor's appointments.

Are all men like this?  No.
Are a good 80% of the men in management at my husband's company like this?  Yes.  (Well, a couple have retired, but still it's a high percentage.) 

Only a small percentage of the men at my company are blatantly like this.  Most of the older men have children (but their wives didn't work) HOWEVER they've worked with working mothers before.

Most of the men at my company in their 30s and 40s take on equal child care duties - a few have even taken their FULL paid family leave, if you can imagine (6 weeks, state leave).

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #2952 on: February 24, 2020, 10:38:56 AM »
While a great conversation around sexism, it's not the purpose of this thread. I recommend we pivot the sexism talk to a new thread and leave this one to the FU stories.

I love this thread, have followed it for years now. Would hate to see it spiral away from what it's been for so long.

+1

+1

Can we please get back to the FU stories?

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2953 on: February 24, 2020, 12:09:09 PM »
Likewise, while I'm not a huge fan of my husband's company culture (lot of old white men),

I'm inspired by the freedom being attained. But I see no need for this race/gender/age stereotyping. Could someone point out to me what negative culture I am carrying around as an old white man?
I think if we add one word, everyone is happy and nothing is taken from the story: (lot of bigoted old white men)

bigot: a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #2954 on: February 24, 2020, 12:32:23 PM »

I think if we add one word, everyone is happy and nothing is taken from the story: (lot of bigoted old white men)

bigot: a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions

I'd rather take out the racism and sexism altogether and go with "lots of bigoted people", but maybe that's just me.

alienbogey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2955 on: February 24, 2020, 10:42:01 PM »
So I guess it was okay to use the race/gender/stereotyping ("old white men") because some were insufficiently aware of "privilege". 

Now that we have all been educated about "privilege", is it still okay to use race/gender/stereotyping?

I think you've missed the point. That's ok. Not everyone has to be on the same page.

And I think you've missed the point.  That's ok, it makes us even.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2957 on: February 25, 2020, 04:11:19 AM »
So I guess it was okay to use the race/gender/stereotyping ("old white men") because some were insufficiently aware of "privilege". 

Now that we have all been educated about "privilege", is it still okay to use race/gender/stereotyping?

I think you've missed the point. That's ok. Not everyone has to be on the same page.

And I think you've missed the point.  That's ok, it makes us even.

Haha, indeed it does

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #2958 on: February 25, 2020, 07:26:19 AM »
https://www.askamanager.org/2017/09/spectacular-resignation-stories-share-in-the-comments.html

HA! 
When I left my company to FIRE, I gave my (remote) boss 6 weeks notice so he could start the rather long hiring process.  I didn't want to leave my team in a lurch.  He didn't tell anyone for weeks, including HR.  I finally asked him if I should tell HR (and the team), and he was like oh yeah, let me get on that.  So with less than two weeks left, things got rolling.  I finally broke down and told the team unofficially since things were getting awkward with scheduling.  Not my problem.  Easier if I don't have to train the new person :).

I think my former boss is just waiting until retirement.  He seems so done.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2959 on: February 25, 2020, 08:47:45 AM »
https://www.askamanager.org/2017/09/spectacular-resignation-stories-share-in-the-comments.html

HA! 
When I left my company to FIRE, I gave my (remote) boss 6 weeks notice so he could start the rather long hiring process.  I didn't want to leave my team in a lurch.  He didn't tell anyone for weeks, including HR.  I finally asked him if I should tell HR (and the team), and he was like oh yeah, let me get on that.  So with less than two weeks left, things got rolling.  I finally broke down and told the team unofficially since things were getting awkward with scheduling.  Not my problem.  Easier if I don't have to train the new person :).

Yeah, I gave 7 months notice, plus found a qualified candidate, and they still goofed off and screwed up getting a replacement. 
AND were surprised to discover the date I was leaving even after making me re-submit my resignation message 4 times so it would meet their standards.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2960 on: February 25, 2020, 09:56:15 AM »

HA! 

Yeah, I gave 7 months notice, plus found a qualified candidate, and they still goofed off and screwed up getting a replacement. 
AND were surprised to discover the date I was leaving even after making me re-submit my resignation message 4 times so it would meet their standards.

When I took a sabbatical I told my boss about 8 months in advance and he thought it was anto tight schedule to find a replacement and asked me to postpone it so they would have about a year to find a replacement. I refused and when I went on a sabbatical they had still not found a replacement.

Much Fishing to Do

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2961 on: February 25, 2020, 02:45:19 PM »

HA! 

Wow, crazy.  I wonder, if you had never submitted a proper resignation would the punishment for that have been termination or making you stay?

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2962 on: February 25, 2020, 05:02:08 PM »

HA! 

Wow, crazy.  I wonder, if you had never submitted a proper resignation would the punishment for that have been termination or making you stay?

I thought it was funny so I went along with it -- but resignation letters #2 thru #4 were written on company time as it was being done at company direction.  :)

Had I not found it amusing and a source for a good story I would have simply refused.    Worst they could have done was fire me -- which would open them to a labor lawsuit, make them look stupid to the client, screw over the client, and let me FIRE half a year earlier.   That would have been fine by me, I was just delaying it so I didn't fire before my wife's school year was over.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2963 on: February 25, 2020, 06:39:19 PM »

If ever you wondered whether retiring was the right move, I guess this settled the question!

Body Surfer

• Stubble
« Reply #2964 on: February 29, 2020, 10:42:10 AM »
More of a MM $ principles story than an FU story.

I am/was a physician in private practice for over twenty years but getting very tired of dealing with health insurance companies. Decided to take some time off. I went back to school to enter another profession for the short term. Living well below our means and saving $- classic MM style: This enabled me to do these changes.

DW became very stressed at her work and began having health problems. She was able to quit and is now feeling much better.

I will retire in late May.

We have an AA that allows me to sleep at night. Just following the great advice learned here. It works and we have benefited.

Thank you MM community.

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2965 on: February 29, 2020, 11:50:19 AM »

I am/was a physician in private practice for over twenty years but getting very tired of dealing with health insurance companies. Decided to take some time off. I went back to school to enter another profession for the short term. Living well below our means and saving $- classic MM style: This enabled me to do these changes.

DW became very stressed at her work and began having health problems. She was able to quit and is now feeling much better.

We have an AA that allows me to sleep at night. Just following the great advice learned here. It works and we have benefited.

Thank you MM community.

That’s awesome.  Congrats

alcon835

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2966 on: March 01, 2020, 08:03:59 AM »

Thank you MM community.

That is fantastic! You changed careers, let your wife quit her job, feel good about your work, and are about to FIRE! Keep doing what you're doing!

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2967 on: March 02, 2020, 05:15:33 PM »
lol at Chris Matthews quitting on the air to kick off his last Hardball tonight:

"After Matthews’ on-air announcement, Hardball went on commercial break.

When it came back, it was Steve Kornacki Iooking surprised. After some laudatory remarks about Matthews, Kornacki said they’ll have to fill this hour then it went on immediate commercial break." -Ahmed Baba

Guess he has his FU money!

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2968 on: March 02, 2020, 05:52:43 PM »
lol at Chris Matthews quitting on the air to kick off his last Hardball tonight:

When it came back, it was Steve Kornacki Iooking surprised. After some laudatory remarks about Matthews, Kornacki said they’ll have to fill this hour then it went on immediate commercial break." -Ahmed Baba

The story I read about this left me a little confused. Granted, it was on Yahoo! which is not known for high quality.

Was he like Bill O'Reilly, or like the guy from public radio who patted someone on the back?

tipster350

• Bristles
« Reply #2969 on: March 03, 2020, 06:13:20 AM »
Chris Matthews, if you're reading here, come and tell your FU story! We're waiting for you!

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2970 on: March 03, 2020, 06:39:14 AM »

The story I read about this left me a little confused. Granted, it was on Yahoo! which is not known for high quality.

Was he like Bill O'Reilly, or like the guy from public radio who patted someone on the back?
Sounds like mostly verbal stuff; a series of public gaffes, combined with accusations of inappropriate "flirting" behind the scenes.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2971 on: March 03, 2020, 10:49:08 AM »

The speed and thoroughness of Garrison Keillor's removal makes me suspect he had a reputation behind the scenes and that he probably should have been dealt with years ago.  Or maybe he wanted to retire and this was a convent way for everyone to get out of a contract. 

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2972 on: March 03, 2020, 11:03:22 AM »

The speed and thoroughness of Garrison Keillor's removal makes me suspect he had a reputation behind the scenes and that he probably should have been dealt with years ago.  Or maybe he wanted to retire and this was a convent way for everyone to get out of a contract.

I think the former is likely. But definitely not the latter.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2973 on: March 04, 2020, 06:50:45 AM »

He was an old white guy whose schtick was tired a decade before he left.

The first time he retired he should have stayed that way. Honestly, the geezer factor at NPR was noticeably lightened upon his departure.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2974 on: March 04, 2020, 08:13:25 AM »

Sounds like mostly verbal stuff; a series of public gaffes, combined with accusations of inappropriate "flirting" behind the scenes.
I think your comments sounds a bit dismissive with a lack of understanding of how years and years of inappropriate ANYTHING can just drain the lifeforce out of a human being.  Women are subjected to it constantly from birth and are taught a series of behaviors to minimize, excuse, downplay, and ignore -- just to stay safe. 

I won't judge what happened in this situation because I don't know.  But I also won't say "oh, it was JUST verbal". 

Look, I get it.  Some women gave back as good as they got.  But why WHY does anyone think any of that belongs in the workplace?  I HAVE NEVER SEEN FLIRTING IN ANY JOB DESCRIPTION.  have you?

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2975 on: March 04, 2020, 08:20:08 AM »

I think your comments sounds a bit dismissive with a lack of understanding of how years and years of inappropriate ANYTHING can just drain the lifeforce out of a human being.  Women are subjected to it constantly from birth and are taught a series of behaviors to minimize, excuse, downplay, and ignore -- just to stay safe. 

I won't judge what happened in this situation because I don't know.  But I also won't say "oh, it was JUST verbal". 

Look, I get it.  Some women gave back as good as they got.  But why WHY does anyone think any of that belongs in the workplace?  I HAVE NEVER SEEN FLIRTING IN ANY JOB DESCRIPTION.  have you?
Point taken. Also the information I had read up to that point may have underplayed the extent of it. Having read additional information since then, it seems that it was more of a pervasive pattern of behavior on his part.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2976 on: March 04, 2020, 10:23:25 PM »
Looking back at the day I quit, it all feels rather epic now.  I had already planned to quit days before ever walking in the room.  Disgusted with lots of shenanigans, toxic culture, a fuckwit (term coined by ExFlyBoy) for a boss who didn’t give two shits about his employees, a rapid turnover in all areas of the company, I’d had enough.  In the same conversation in which said “fuckwit” explained he wanted to send me to some sort of management training, I basically said without much fanfare that I was leaving.  The hypocrisy of someone who doesn’t do annual performance reviews, routinely has little tantrums, and is an absentee boss really took the cake.  He totally lost his shit.  “I’m going to need that in writing!” he bellowed.

I was taken aback in the moment, but him losing his shit was such a tell.  And I felt like a boss when I returned a minute later with my already prepared letter.  It was obvious that for me it wasn’t a knee jerk thing.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2977 on: March 05, 2020, 06:13:58 AM »
Looking back at the day I quit, it all feels rather epic now.  I had already planned to quit days before ever walking in the room.  Disgusted with lots of shenanigans, toxic culture, a fuckwit (term coined by ExFlyBoy) for a boss who didn’t give two shits about his employees, a rapid turnover in all areas of the company, I’d had enough.  In the same conversation in which said “fuckwit” explained he wanted to send me to some sort of management training, I basically said without much fanfare that I was leaving.  The hypocrisy of someone who doesn’t do annual performance reviews, routinely has little tantrums, and is an absentee boss really took the cake.  He totally lost his shit.  “I’m going to need that in writing!” he bellowed.

I was taken aback in the moment, but him losing his shit was such a tell.  And I felt like a boss when I returned a minute later with my already prepared letter.  It was obvious that for me it wasn’t a knee jerk thing.

That's great.

I've always wondered: why do employers require a formal resignation letter? What are the consequences if you don't provide one? And if they do ask for one, what's to stop someone from spending the next couple days working on it instead of doing it on their own time?

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2978 on: March 05, 2020, 06:28:13 AM »

That's great.

I've always wondered: why do employers require a formal resignation letter? What are the consequences if you don't provide one? And if they do ask for one, what's to stop someone from spending the next couple days working on it instead of doing it on their own time?
In some jurisdictions the employee still has the job so it can't be filled until some time has passed (when the employee doesn't show up and is legally considered to have abandoned the job).   A formal resignation letter acts as proof the employee doesn't want the job anymore.   Plus, they can't claim they were fired without cause or laid off and claim unemployment.   Well, actually, they can claim it, but the employer will be off the hook due to the letter.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2979 on: March 05, 2020, 06:35:16 AM »

That's great.

I assume most employers need it as legal proof you have resigned your position.

Thinking back I remember an employee once just not show up for work. During the first week everyone was worried he was really sick or something. Nobody could reach him, finally his boss was able to reach him and he basically said he did feel like working anymore, but refused to put anything in writing. It took HR another couple of weeks to figure out what to do and ended up having to file some type of "job abandonment termination" paperwork. I always thought it was sad and wondered why anyone would do that, but maybe it was his "Epic FU"!   

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2980 on: March 05, 2020, 06:44:56 AM »

That's great.

I assume most employers need it as legal proof you have resigned your position.

Thinking back I remember an employee once just not show up for work. During the first week everyone was worried he was really sick or something. Nobody could reach him, finally his boss was able to reach him and he basically said he did feel like working anymore, but refused to put anything in writing. It took HR another couple of weeks to figure out what to do and ended up having to file some type of "job abandonment termination" paperwork. I always thought it was sad and wondered why anyone would do that, but maybe it was his "Epic FU"!   
Had a guy pack up his stuff and write "GONE!!!" on a post-it he put on his office door.    No one was sure whether he had to leave for the day or he had quit.

After 3 days he was considered to have abandoned his job.

After the next payday he showed back up and wanted to come to work.  Nope.   Apparently he had forgotten about needing a paycheck.

Now comes the really, really funny part.

He and his project manager had been fighting over project stuff.   I was brand new and didn't know either of them and didn't work with them.   But it was really obvious they hated each other.   Project manager locked the guy out of the project database.  Guy was the database administrator.   Guy sent project manager an email telling said manager how bad a job he was doing and BCC (Blind-copied) everyone in the office.   That was in my first week at this company.   Project manager threatened to turn in company to government for fraud, waste and abuse.    I found that a bit odd because he was the project manager and the one responsible for telling people on the project what to do...    Project manager leaves a few months later.

Then comes the big recession.   Jobs are scarce.   Both lose their jobs and go to work on a defense contract in a 2 man shack in Iraq for 6 months.  The exact same 2 man shack.

Karma is a bitch.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2981 on: March 05, 2020, 01:50:22 PM »
Then comes the big recession.   Jobs are scarce.   Both lose their jobs and go to work on a defense contract in a 2 man shack in Iraq for 6 months.  The exact same 2 man shack.

Karma is a bitch.

ah ha haha

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2982 on: March 11, 2020, 01:46:00 PM »
I imagine that when auditors look at the financial transactions of a company, and they ask, "Why isn't this guy getting paid?" it's good to have a piece of paper to show them.

CindyBS

• Bristles
« Reply #2983 on: March 11, 2020, 02:50:19 PM »
Not so much an FU, because I actually really like my boss and my company - but this is more an unexpected opportunity just arose that I could not even try without my FU money.

I work for a very small company that provides things for large, mostly outdoor, events (think stages and the like).  We are in a temperate climate, so it has been our slow season for months.  We just had 80% of our business for March and early April cancelled due to Covid-19.  Slow season + cancellations with nothing to replace it and no idea when we are going to recover = huge financial crunch.

I am seriously considering walking into my boss's office tomorrow and offering to be laid off for 3-4 weeks in exchange for non-monetary compensation going forward.  Something like 1 week off every month of the slow season (4 extra weeks of vacation).  I can certainly make up any work I would miss and our company is so small and labor is the biggest cost - losing my pay as a bill for the next 4 weeks will really help.

I'll get paid half my pay for 4 weeks but in exchange get 8 weeks off - the 4 weeks I'm laid off and the 4 extra weeks vacation in the the slow season of 2020-2021.  Seems like a good deal.  I can easily do the rest of my work in the slow season in 3 weeks/month and without our work for March, there won't be much work for me to do in the next 4 weeks anyway. 

This kind of begs the question why doesn't he just lay me off without the deal.  Honestly, he would be afraid I would find another job so he is not going to do lay-off unless he absolutely has no other choice.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2984 on: March 11, 2020, 05:11:37 PM »
Not so much an FU, because I actually really like my boss and my company - but this is more an unexpected opportunity just arose that I could not even try without my FU money.

I work for a very small company that provides things for large, mostly outdoor, events (think stages and the like).  We are in a temperate climate, so it has been our slow season for months.  We just had 80% of our business for March and early April cancelled due to Covid-19.  Slow season + cancellations with nothing to replace it and no idea when we are going to recover = huge financial crunch.

I am seriously considering walking into my boss's office tomorrow and offering to be laid off for 3-4 weeks in exchange for non-monetary compensation going forward.  Something like 1 week off every month of the slow season (4 extra weeks of vacation).  I can certainly make up any work I would miss and our company is so small and labor is the biggest cost - losing my pay as a bill for the next 4 weeks will really help.

I'll get paid half my pay for 4 weeks but in exchange get 8 weeks off - the 4 weeks I'm laid off and the 4 extra weeks vacation in the the slow season of 2020-2021.  Seems like a good deal.  I can easily do the rest of my work in the slow season in 3 weeks/month and without our work for March, there won't be much work for me to do in the next 4 weeks anyway. 

This kind of begs the question why doesn't he just lay me off without the deal.  Honestly, he would be afraid I would find another job so he is not going to do lay-off unless he absolutely has no other choice.

Dont care more about your bosses company than it cares about you.  You want the free time now - cool; just remember if you dropped dead you would be replaced (at some point).

CindyBS

• Bristles
« Reply #2985 on: March 11, 2020, 05:34:55 PM »

Dont care more about your bosses company than it cares about you.  You want the free time now - cool; just remember if you dropped dead you would be replaced (at some point).

In a regular job I would agree - however, I was friends with my boss for 10+ years before he hired me (he's the business owner) and gave me a job at really rough time in my life when I really needed it.  He is also super cool and gives me a very flexible schedule. 

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #2986 on: March 11, 2020, 10:29:09 PM »
@CindyBS, I like your plan to offer the layoff for vacation time. Good luck.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2987 on: March 12, 2020, 01:07:27 AM »
Sounds like a plan @CindyBS - but I would just be careful about couching it in terms of a layoff. Say something like alternative or flexible working hours arrangement. I think that's what you're talking about but wanted to mention it just in case. Just make sure to pay attention to potential implications for any benefits you might get through your job (pension, social security, health insurance and so on). Good luck with it.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2988 on: March 12, 2020, 02:56:12 AM »
Sounds like a plan @CindyBS - but I would just be careful about couching it in terms of a layoff. Say something like alternative or flexible working hours arrangement. I think that's what you're talking about but wanted to mention it just in case. Just make sure to pay attention to potential implications for any benefits you might get through your job (pension, social security, health insurance and so on). Good luck with it.

Yes, I think I would frame it as unpaid leave or something, rather than a tenporary layoff.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2989 on: March 12, 2020, 07:59:19 AM »
A friend of mine voluntarily did this during the last recession. She just had her boss move her to the bottom of the schedule until the work resumed. She was available on call if needed, but otherwise didn't turn up for work. When the economy recovered, she jumped right back in at the top of the list. She still works there. Her boss adores her and never forgets that she helped keep the boat afloat.

Just to clarify - You're not planning on filing for unemployment benefits, correct?

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #2990 on: March 12, 2020, 11:15:38 AM »

I did something very similar at a small business 8 years ago. We called it an "Unpaid leave of absence" so that they did not have to pay increased unemployment insurance and I did not have a gap on my employment record. Totally worth it.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2991 on: March 16, 2020, 07:07:11 AM »
A friend of mine voluntarily did this during the last recession. She just had her boss move her to the bottom of the schedule until the work resumed. She was available on call if needed, but otherwise didn't turn up for work. When the economy recovered, she jumped right back in at the top of the list. She still works there. Her boss adores her and never forgets that she helped keep the boat afloat.

Just to clarify - You're not planning on filing for unemployment benefits, correct?

Good friend of mine bargained himself down to 2 days/week in 2010 as an alternative to being laid off. He stayed at that level until 2018, when he hung it up to become a SAH dad to 3 (and later 4) kids.

ctuser1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2992 on: March 16, 2020, 07:46:28 AM »
Not much of a FU story (I’ve been *very* fortunate to have very good organizations as my employers).

Episode 1 (a consulting company, think MBB, Big 4 etc).
I didn’t get some bonus I thought I was verbally promised. So I rage quit!!
Of course, I was in my 20s. In hindsight, that was a stupid decision. But it worked out. My boss called me 2 months later, and brought me back at a higher salary.

Episode 2 (at the end of a short stint at a tech company)
I told my boss I’ll quit. He was upset that I was going to leave without finishing the project I owned. So I negotiated with my new place that I’ll join 3 months later. They were a little pissed, but okay.
So I wrap up my project at the old place and leave. My old boss does not show up at my farewell drinks on Friday. I show up at my old place over the weekend to see through a critical release - technically after I’m no longer an employee. Old boss is still pissed. He tells me “it’s unprofessional on your part to not tell me beforehand if you are not being given sufficiently interesting or challenging projects”.

But the real fun begins after this. Old boss, for whatever reason, fails to notify HR that I left. So my paychecks keep coming. You should have seen the consternation at the HR, and the panic in my old boss’ voice when he called me. I was a little pissed at him, but didn’t cause any drama in refunding the extra paycheck.

Free Spirit

• Stubble
  • Be water, my friend.
« Reply #2993 on: March 19, 2020, 01:27:23 PM »
Not sure if it counts as epic but here's my FU Money - Coronavirus Edition:

Yesterday - get the call that work is shutting down for two weeks due to possible exposure to the virus. Coworker works a day job for another company and half their staff is sick and someone is presumed positive, even the owner of that company is seriously ill. My work issues a statement on social media saying per advice from the state health department they are shutting down for at least a week. (By the way, they were treating it as NBD a week ago)

Today, I get a call from the big man in charge, " Great news! We are far more removed than we initially thought! The other owner tested negative and we don't even know if the friend of a friend of a friend is even positive, so we'll keep you posted on what we decide in the next few days. By the way, are you itching to get back to it?"

I laugh internally and give a resounding "NOPE! Due to the nature of our work, the age of our customers, and the proximity to other people, I'm afraid for my own well being as well as others and will continue to self quarantine just to be safe. I have a lot of older relatives and I want to do the right thing."

I work in a restaurant and I'm on the lower end of the pay scale so I'm probably the person you picture as having no plan in place, paycheck to paycheck, and having a mini crisis through all this. Thanks to MMM and this forum, my emergency fund is big enough to weather this storm for a good year and probably then some. They can shove it if they think I'm going to work right now.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #2994 on: March 19, 2020, 01:32:17 PM »
I work in a restaurant and I'm on the lower end of the pay scale so I'm probably the person you picture as having no plan in place, paycheck to paycheck, and having a mini crisis through all this. Thanks to MMM and this forum, my emergency fund is big enough to weather this storm for a good year and probably then some. They can shove it if they think I'm going to work right now.

Yup, that makes it epic. The journey to FI starts to pay big dividends long before you are completely free.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #2995 on: March 19, 2020, 02:41:01 PM »
Well done, @Free Spirit!!!

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2996 on: March 19, 2020, 10:47:23 PM »
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!

Fi(re) on the Farm

• Bristles
« Reply #2997 on: March 22, 2020, 04:32:30 PM »

Free Spirit, I'm am so happy for you. Back in the days when I was single, raising 2 kids and dead broke this would have killed me. We just found out that my husband is loosing his job in a month because of Covid-19 but that just gives him more time to finish off my honey-do list.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2998 on: March 31, 2020, 05:19:37 PM »
Indeed, being able to approach every decision from the perspective of "does this increase my health risk by too much for the benefit it gives?" rather than from the financial perspective is a great benefit of having accumulated an ample 'stache.

achvfi

• Pencil Stache
  • Health is wealth
« Reply #2999 on: April 01, 2020, 08:07:21 AM »
My friend is a nurse and is in her 50-60s. At her age she is at high risk if she gets infected with COVID-19. She works at a hospital and was not allowed to use enough protective equipment due to potential shortages in future. She quit right away!

They did a great job financially and are going to be just fine.