Author Topic: Epic FU money stories  (Read 2795098 times)

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Epic FU money stories
« Reply #2600 on: March 11, 2019, 05:23:40 AM »
@Sugaree  That just sucks.  They think they will get away with it, probably because no one has every called them on it. Internet stranger here, but I'd write up a letter with everything you are owed, including paid PTO time and send to the employer.  Look at your state and see what penalties they face for not paying on time and include in your notice.  Give them a time limit and let them know you will go to your state's DOL to collect after that time.  Formal written notice is crucial in this type of situation.  I've had it happen twice and each time I received everything I was owed within 24 hours.
While I agree with most if this,  I have another, more nefarious suggestion. Look up your state's regulations, make up your spreadsheet on what you are owed and then WAIT. It will get a lot more interesting if they violate state law. You don't need the money for this week's groceries, so why not fuck with them right back?

I like the way you think.  After fines and penalties, they'll be less likely to screw over the next person.   Always try to leave the world a better place as you pass thru it...

I'm kind of liking this idea.  It seems that this is all his local management.  She didn't turn in his final time sheet.  But I'm wondering if she really told them that he left because he had some PTO hours that need to be paid out (at least I think they have to be paid out, but it's Alabama and it's not exactly the most worker-friendly state)  It's really a shame (for them) that one of DH's good childhood friends is an employment attorney.  We've already got a call in to her.  I'm not sure she can still practice here (just passed the bar in her new state), but she should still have connections in the city where the corporate office is located. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2601 on: March 11, 2019, 07:52:48 AM »
@Sugaree  That just sucks.  They think they will get away with it, probably because no one has every called them on it. Internet stranger here, but I'd write up a letter with everything you are owed, including paid PTO time and send to the employer.  Look at your state and see what penalties they face for not paying on time and include in your notice.  Give them a time limit and let them know you will go to your state's DOL to collect after that time.  Formal written notice is crucial in this type of situation.  I've had it happen twice and each time I received everything I was owed within 24 hours.
While I agree with most if this,  I have another, more nefarious suggestion. Look up your state's regulations, make up your spreadsheet on what you are owed and then WAIT. It will get a lot more interesting if they violate state law. You don't need the money for this week's groceries, so why not fuck with them right back?
I like the way you think.  After fines and penalties, they'll be less likely to screw over the next person.   Always try to leave the world a better place as you pass thru it...
I'm kind of liking this idea.  It seems that this is all his local management.  She didn't turn in his final time sheet.  But I'm wondering if she really told them that he left because he had some PTO hours that need to be paid out (at least I think they have to be paid out, but it's Alabama and it's not exactly the most worker-friendly state)  It's really a shame (for them) that one of DH's good childhood friends is an employment attorney.  We've already got a call in to her.  I'm not sure she can still practice here (just passed the bar in her new state), but she should still have connections in the city where the corporate office is located.
I worked for a large manufacturing company based in another state. They believed they could enforce their state laws throughout the country. My state has a different opinion. When the company said vacation time was "use it or lose it", all it took was a couple of firmly worded emails to HR with a few key quotes from my state's employment code. This resulted in new policies that benefited everyone. In the course of this research, it was also discovered that the task of tracking vacation time is the burden of the employer, not the employee.

Fast forward a few years. A local colleague, a superstar salesperson for decades, was laid off for reasons that looked suspiciously like ageism. The company's severance package was pretty stingy. He decided to go after them for thirty years of unpaid vacation time. Whoopsie! The company did not have accurate records. He ended up with the severance package he was quite happy with. (This is a FU money story, because he didn't need it. He liked working and was great at his job. He was just pissed that they were kicking him to the curb, and making such a paltry severance offer.)

I'm posting this to show that not every case requires a lawyer. Start by reading up on your state's employment code.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 11:29:08 PM by Dicey »

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #2602 on: March 11, 2019, 04:44:26 PM »
I came for the stories, and then you educated me!

Well done, @Dicey

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2603 on: March 11, 2019, 11:30:04 PM »
I came for the stories, and then you educated me!

Well done, @Dicey
Thanks. Musta been an accident.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2604 on: March 12, 2019, 08:02:14 AM »
I worked for a large manufacturing company based in another state. They believed they could enforce their state laws throughout the country. My state has a different opinion. When the company said vacation time was "use it or lose it", all it took was a couple of firmly worded emails to HR with a few key quotes from my state's employment code. This resulted in new policies that benefited everyone. In the course of this research, it was also discovered that the task of tracking vacation time is the burden of the employer, not the employee.

Fast forward a few years. A local colleague, a superstar salesperson for decades, was laid off for reasons that looked suspiciously like ageism. The company's severance package was pretty stingy. He decided to go after them for thirty years of unpaid vacation time. Whoopsie! The company did not have accurate records. He ended up with the severance package he was quite happy with. (This is a FU money story, because he didn't need it. He liked working and was great at his job. He was just pissed that they were kicking him to the curb, and making such a paltry severance offer.)

I'm posting this to show that not every case requires a lawyer. Start by reading up on your state's employment code.

Agree!!  @Dicey - I like your idea of dealing with the company better than mine.  :)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2605 on: March 12, 2019, 11:14:14 AM »

Did we work for the same company?  My old company loved the "Use it or lose it", until they realized that it's not allowed in CA.  Then they adjusted the rule for us to say that you stop accruing after so much time, and adjusted it for their home state to allow them to carry over 40 hours.  Thing is, they often wouldn't allow people to take the time off.  In the end, after about 10 years, I think they adjusted it again to not be use or lose in any sense.

That story about unpaid vacation time was glorious.

albireo13

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2606 on: March 13, 2019, 05:25:39 AM »
Also, your state's Dept of Labor can be a great advocate if you don't want a lawyer.  It will take time to resolve, if your case is valid but, they can be like a pitbull .... grabbing and not letting go until you submit.
Nothing like getting the state attorney general knocking on their door to make them wet their pants.   
LOL

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2607 on: March 13, 2019, 07:54:04 AM »
@Sugaree:  Please do notify the company, in writing.  The best thing you can do if you want to get your money, go to the state, hire a lawyer, or whatever, is to document document document; otherwise, it's he-said-she-said and bad memories, or looks like you're playing a game of "gotcha."

Yes, theoretically you don't have to, because they should pay your husband what he deserves.  But the reality is that the way to win (or force a settlement, or initiate a DOL investigation) is to create a record that shows very clearly that you have politely and reasonably repeatedly asked for what you are owed.

spotila

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2608 on: March 13, 2019, 05:01:46 PM »
A small FU money story I have - sorry I don't have more details, it was a few years back now

DW was working at a local cafe doing... cafe stuff, barista primarily.
The job started out really well and she made some good friends, money was average, not terrible.
But I believe the cafe sold to new management shortly after this.

As soon as this happened things went downhill due to one of the new ladies in charge.
Bad attitude, yelling at employees, unrealistic or non-contract requests, all the standard stuff.

During a pre-opening standup meeting one morning (discuss cafe operations before opening the doors I guess), the new manager was particularly crazy, spouting nonsense about how lazy they all were an so on.

At the time we had about 5 years' expenses in the stash, and we always agreed we'd just bail if this sort of thing started happening.

So she said (paraphrasing) - "I don't need this kinda BS, I have money...".
And walked straight out the door before the morning rush.

She was worried what I would think, but I couldn't have been more proud.
FU money is great
Also people don't leave their jobs, they leave their managers

Livingthedream55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2609 on: March 14, 2019, 09:47:03 AM »
A small FU money story I have - sorry I don't have more details, it was a few years back now

DW was working at a local cafe doing... cafe stuff, barista primarily.
The job started out really well and she made some good friends, money was average, not terrible.
But I believe the cafe sold to new management shortly after this.

As soon as this happened things went downhill due to one of the new ladies in charge.
Bad attitude, yelling at employees, unrealistic or non-contract requests, all the standard stuff.

During a pre-opening standup meeting one morning (discuss cafe operations before opening the doors I guess), the new manager was particularly crazy, spouting nonsense about how lazy they all were an so on.

At the time we had about 5 years' expenses in the stash, and we always agreed we'd just bail if this sort of thing started happening.

So she said (paraphrasing) - "I don't need this kinda BS, I have money...".
And walked straight out the door before the morning rush.

She was worried what I would think, but I couldn't have been more proud.
FU money is great
Also people don't leave their jobs, they leave their managers

That story is badass!

And yes, I'm leaving my manager in just a few months myself. I am just stockpiling the savings at this stage.

bigair360x

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2610 on: March 14, 2019, 10:49:21 AM »
I started working out of college in a corporate IT role and enjoyed the position and thought the money was good. I worked there 6 years until I met my girlfriend who would later become my wife. She asked if I would go with her to New York to live a while while she worked a travel role. I knew that I would essentially have to quit my job to go on this epic trip with her. I knew that I had a little FU money and definitely had the FU skills, so I schemed to ask for a leave of absence thinking I might have my job back when I returned 6 months later. I was granted the 6 month leave with no guarantee that my job would be available when I got back. I was fine with that. "Live once or die trying"... So off we go to live in Manhattan - down town. I had no job or job prospects and my girlfriend wasn't making enough to support me and my bills as I still had a house at home. I busted tail doing odd jobs here and there and figuring out how to make it in the big city. "If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere!".  I ended up leaving to come home engaged to my girlfriend and with more money than I ever thought I would make. We probably would have stayed longer except I was being told that I still had my job waiting for me when I get home. Until 2 days before we were set to get on a plane to come home I got a voicemail telling me that my job was no longer available. I was bummed but was also armed with all my new knowledge and skills learned from NYC so I was excited to see what I could do at home. I started pounding the pavement when I got home doing odd jobs but it didn't translate as well as in NYC so I started looking for a job again. I learned that my previous company was sold to a new entity and that they were struggling to move all their systems over. I reached out and said that I could help make the transition go more smoothly since I had specific knowledge of the systems and people from the previous company. I said I want X$ to turn the operation around and they told me no. FU money allowed me to say "give me a call if you change your mind". 2 days later I got a call "when can you start?". I started right away and walked in to see my previous boss (who didn't tell me that my job was no longer available to me until last minute) packing up his office because they didn't hire him over. What a great feeling!

I ended up working for the new company for another 6 years. During that time they hired a basically abusive manager and a narcissistic psychopath steroidal VP over him.  The VP figured he was king and would do whatever he wanted. This guy showed up in a corporate environment on Halloween as a gladiator with a sword. Yes, a "cut your head off" sword. HR turned a blind eye. He would have poker tournaments where drugs were gambled (instead of money). HR turned a blind eye. On and on.. The expectations were unrealistic, the demands were unreal, and we were being reprimanded for not completing impossible tasks. I realized that the company was not big enough for the three of us so they needed to go, or I needed to go. I had the FU money to walk out clean but I liked my job and the people I worked with other than these two. These two made a lot of stupid mistakes so I started to look for opportunities to make a move and eventually one came. One of the guys that worked under me forwarded an email to me from the VP asking him to modify a tax record for the manager in photoshop so that he would qualify to purchase a new car. I smelled blood and quickly brought the evidence to HR knowing that they would have no choice but to walk the two of them out right then and there. I had a big grin on my face as they were called to HR and walked out of the building. I was promoted to the manager position and all was well for awhile. I later learned that the steroidal VP had a massive heart attack and died in his 40's. Was it karma? I don't know - you decide. I didn't like the guy, and he made my life hell, but I didn't wish death on him. The manager disappeared into the sunset.

I had the manager position for a number of years and all was well until they decided I was a better lead engineer than a manager so I was "promoted" down to lead engineer. I was upset about my "promotion demotion" and that was when things started to go south again. Leadership started taking the company in odd directions and people started to not work together any more and the environment started to become stale. I was upset with leadership again and decided it was time to go and considered taking my FU money and just leaving. I figured I would try to find a different job so as not to dig into my stache so much. I was lucky enough to find my dream job doing what I do best for people that value me and want me to be there. I was offered the position and accepted. I provisioned to give my old company 2 weeks notice but I never did. I transitioned knowledge to my coworkers who loosely knew what my plans were. I still thought the new job was too good to be true. After 1 week I started the new job and started calling in sick from the old job so that I could go back in the event that the new job was in fact too good to be true. After 2 weeks, the big boss of the old company happened to be in town to fire one of the guys on my team (not me). I drove in and pulled him aside and explained everything wrong with leadership and the company and IT in general. I put down my badge and walked out and never looked back.

I later found out that the boss that "promoted demoted" me was later "promoted demoted" herself. Funny how things work out in the long run.

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #2611 on: March 14, 2019, 11:15:06 AM »
@bigair360x That is a crazy ride. Great story!

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2612 on: March 14, 2019, 10:49:33 PM »
Epic first post, @bigair360x. Welcome to the forum.

CindyBS

• Bristles
« Reply #2613 on: March 16, 2019, 02:07:41 PM »
Not really "epic", but I did have a moment this week.

I started a new job 3 weeks ago that I quickly realized after starting that I had been misled.  Week one I thought I could last a year.  By week 2 I was sending out resumes.  This week went downhill very rapidly.  A probably arose, management became very difficult with me - especially when I didn't just become passive and take it.   By Wed. night I was very upset about the whole thing.  Thursday I worked through a very awkward day.  Thursday night I emailed the boss with a letter of resignation effective immediately and never went back.

It took a little time for me to "get over" my work ethic and the idea that what I was doing was wrong, but in the end I wasn't going to take it anymore if I didn't have to.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2614 on: March 16, 2019, 02:13:20 PM »
That's epic enough for me. Well done, @CindyBS!

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2615 on: March 16, 2019, 02:23:30 PM »
That's epic enough for me. Well done, @CindyBS!

I totally agree. When you realize something isn’t right, it’s 100% better to cut bait and get out ASAP. Otherwise, after you’ve been there a while it begins to feel normal and acceptable. Nice job on just GTFO.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2616 on: March 16, 2019, 04:25:15 PM »
  Week one I thought I could last a year.  By week 2 I was sending out resumes.  This week went downhill very rapidly. 

The pace of narrative sounds like:
“The first ten million years were the worst," said Marvin, "and the second ten million years, they were the worst too. The third ten million years I didn't enjoy at all. After that I went into a bit of a decline.”
― Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
found at: https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/316990-the-first-ten-million-years-were-the-worst-said-marvin

Good to hear that you listened to yourself and GTFO and didn't go into a bit of a decline.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2617 on: March 16, 2019, 04:34:07 PM »
Enjoy your time off, @CindyBS! You've earned it!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2618 on: March 16, 2019, 08:14:00 PM »

I started a new job 3 weeks ago that I quickly realized after starting that I had been misled.  Week one I thought I could last a year.  By week 2 I was sending out resumes.  This week went downhill very rapidly.  A probably arose, management became very difficult with me - especially when I didn't just become passive and take it.   By Wed. night I was very upset about the whole thing.  Thursday I worked through a very awkward day.  Thursday night I emailed the boss with a letter of resignation effective immediately and never went back.

It took a little time for me to "get over" my work ethic and the idea that what I was doing was wrong, but in the end I wasn't going to take it anymore if I didn't have to.

And you were there such a short time that, unless you're applying for a job with a security clearance, you need never mention it on your resume at all.

Livingthedream55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2619 on: March 18, 2019, 10:41:32 AM »

And you were there such a short time that, unless you're applying for a job with a security clearance, you need never mention it on your resume at all.
+1

saguaro

• Stubble
« Reply #2620 on: March 18, 2019, 11:46:51 AM »

+1

Good job @CindyBS , when the job turns out that be so bad that 3 weeks later you are sending resumes, it's often better to cut loose than tough it out. 

I can relate to the feeling that I was doing something wrong in just up and leaving.  Years ago, I took a new job and by the 2nd week, it was apparent that I had been misled about the job.  Frankly my new boss was incompetent, she simply wanted someone to basically cover for her while she goofed off.  By the end of 2 weeks, I was informed that she hadn't gotten around to talking to me about my benefits because they were changing, next day I was looking at sending out resumes again.  Middle of week 3, did overtime into the evening because she waltzed in late and gave me a task just before quitting time when I had been sitting around all day.    Next day, she disappeared for most of the day so I took some initiative in learning about the job by asking my coworkers because she was often out of the office and when she was in, she didn't have time to "train" me.   Next and last day, I was chastised for "socializing" while she was out of the office, which was my attempt to learn about the job and told her so.   It was at that point, I clocked out for lunch, took a walk, made my decision, went back to collect some things from my desk without saying anything to anyone, walked out, got in the car and drove off.   I didn't even offer up a resignation letter, I was that pissed off and besides I figured the now ex-boss could figure it out.

Yep, it was not quite professional to just walk off, but they weren't exactly professional with me.  Never mentioned it on a resume.  Even when I applied to The Big Company nearly 3 years later.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 11:56:58 AM by saguaro »

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2621 on: March 18, 2019, 12:19:13 PM »

This is def epic.

theSlowTurtle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2622 on: March 18, 2019, 03:03:10 PM »

I feel like this is just begging for more juicy details...

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2623 on: March 21, 2019, 01:11:25 PM »
Add me to the group of people who would like more textured detail w.r.t the word "misled".

CindyBS

• Bristles
« Reply #2624 on: March 24, 2019, 04:50:15 PM »
It was a job working with kids with disabilities.  They were much more physically aggressive than I was led to believe in the interview.   Pretty sad situation overall. 

I've gone from feeling a rush and the thrill of raising a middle finger at the world to being pretty discouraged about the whole thing.  I'm very fortunate to have to cushion to do this, but now I am back into a difficult job search.  Sigh. 

Fi(re) on the Farm

• Bristles
« Reply #2625 on: March 24, 2019, 05:30:36 PM »
I thought I'd share an FU money story that is my mom's.   She was reliving it again to me, when I finally saw it for what it is:  an FU story. 

Now, I'll start by saying that mom did not actually have FU money, but she did eventually learn her worth in the market -- and that became her FU currency

Background:  Mom is widowed with 5 children to feed.  Money is extremely tight in the household.   Certified as a teacher, a teachers' strike makes finding a job impossible, so mom begins baking cakes and selling them to local restaurants.  After 5-6 months, she has 4-5 fancy restaurants on her daily rotation.  She's making 15-20 cakes and pies per day out of our home kitchen. 

One of her restaurants is a mob-run place at a racetrack.  She despises working with them because they treat her badly and wait weeks to pay her what she's owed -- very difficult when trying to buy supplies. There is a miscommunication over an error and the big boss mobster fires mom -- but makes the bookkeeper do it.  Mom was secretly relieved.  The mobsters were not professional and always ran on emotions. 

4 days later, the bookkeeper comes sniveling back and says the big boss wants her to come back and bake the desserts again. Mom raises the price on some of her desserts and then says she never wants to have to ask to get paid again.  All money is due at delivery or she's taking her cakes with her and never stepping foot inside again. 

I was about 11-12 when this happened, and I still remember the worry she had over how to pay bills and how empowered she was when she came home that day after setting her foot down.

That's just beautiful!

nwa-non

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Net Worth, Anon
« Reply #2626 on: April 02, 2019, 11:41:56 AM »
Not exactly an FU story, but...

I bailed in January right after the holidays.  There were aspects of the job that were very off-putting (travel), but the important parts of the job were interesting and generally worthwhile.  The problem was everything else.  Endless meetings and conference calls for absolutely no reason.  Reams of useless make-work that did nothing but help the officer class substantiate to their superiors that they had firm control over everything. 

My direct manager was easily the best I have ever worked for, but like me he was a prisoner of the system.  I took pains to give them 2 weeks' notice, make the transition as easy as I could, spent time schooling up someone who could fill in for me and left on cordial terms.  To this day I don't think they have any idea why I left.

This is what drives me insane! The enormous rates that my employer bills me out to HAS to be justified my inanities that are borderline insane. Being busy for the sake of looking/being busy.

I wish I had the courage to walk off. I've brought down the OMY syndrome to 5 more months. Almost every day I look at the number of days left

CindyBS

• Bristles
« Reply #2627 on: April 05, 2019, 06:31:46 AM »

This is def epic.

****UPDATE*****

I am so, so happy I had both the FU money and courage to walk out of that situation. 

I just got hired for a different job - same number of hours.  Salary is more than twice the salary of the bad job!!   :-) 

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2628 on: April 05, 2019, 07:13:54 AM »

This is def epic.

****UPDATE*****

I am so, so happy I had both the FU money and courage to walk out of that situation. 

I just got hired for a different job - same number of hours.  Salary is more than twice the salary of the bad job!!   :-)

Nice, congrats!

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2629 on: April 05, 2019, 07:24:01 AM »
Whoo congrats Cindy!

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #2630 on: April 05, 2019, 08:10:59 AM »
YAY @CindyBS!! That is so great! 😁

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2631 on: April 05, 2019, 10:11:22 AM »
My mother has some hilarious stories of a series of jobs she had after moving away from teaching community college, and trying to get a job with higher salary and benefits. Like one she thought was just kind of new age, but it was actually some kind of cult. The cafeteria was vegetarian and you cleaned your own bowl afterwards and they did some kind of ritual before eating. And one where she was hired to be an assistant to a broker, but they thought she was good enough and they had to take a test and she was on her way to becoming a broker herself when she thought, what the hell am I doing? She didn't have confidence in herself and dropped out of the program. And one where she was an employee, but she spent so much time explaining and teaching the software to the other middle aged ladies, they thought she was a computer whiz and- fired their only IT person (who not only installed the software but also dealt with hardware issues) and changed her title to IT person. As she was just an ordinary person with no IT background, that did not end well.
Another one she was a salesperson for educational software to companies. She actually ended up doing really well, because her background was as an English teacher and she could explain in regular language (versus tech or sales langauge) what the software did and how it could help their company. She became too successful, so the owner kept switching her region to give her region to less successful people after she made the original sales, invite himself to her sales pitches and when they got the sale say that he was the person who got the commission, not her.

The one I was reminded of was, she got hired to work as a teacher in a closed mental health facility, teens. They told her as part of her job, that she had to participate in "take downs". (i.e. if a teen gets agitated, violent, that she as the teacher would need to restrain or "take them down"). (she's an out of shape, middle aged lady, a grandmother at that point).  She said no, she doesn't agree to do this.  Within the first month one of her students became violent. Rather than participating in a "take down" she ended up talking him down and no force was needed. However, since she did not do a "take down", they administration put a note in her work record. At that point she said thanks but no thanks (and you people are nuts!). 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 10:13:03 AM by partgypsy »

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2632 on: April 05, 2019, 01:06:36 PM »

This is def epic.

****UPDATE*****

so awesome

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #2633 on: April 05, 2019, 01:39:43 PM »
Posting to follow.

My current employer is reasonable (management goes every which way but my boss and his boss keep us on a more than reasonable track).

The only FU like thing that happened to me was after I got fired from a part-time job in a supermarket (at 17) because the manager claimed he saw me smoking pot in a cafe at night the day before. Which was impossible because I was working at the time he claimed. And since I had to work until 23:00 it was unreasonable to expect me to be back at 6:00. They did this a couple of times even though I said they shouldn't because I was prone to oversleeping, even a special 80dB alarm couldn't wake me.
So I go home, not quite bothered because at 17 I could find a job in 2 days, maybe 3.

I had indeed landed a job after a few interviews at several temp agencies. I was working in a freezer cell, packing premade lunches for 6f an hour (about 3$). When I was done on the first day I walked out and never went back because I got a call to work at McDonalds.
On the plus, I wasn't cold anymore, just hot. On the downside, they paid me 5,50 an hour.

Incidentally, my mom sent a vicious letter to the supermarket corporate after we received a questionnaire because of my resignation. She detailed all the things they did wrong like letti g a minor work past his maximum time, too many hours, ignoring mandatory break time between 2 consecutive shifts (at least 10 hours for a minor).
Everything was in their systems because they used time cards. I walk in a couple of months later and chat with a former coworker. Appearently the team leader, and his assistant (who fired me) had been relocated to locations far away for our standards. We never heard back about the letter to corporate but I suspect they did the transfer because of it.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2634 on: April 05, 2019, 09:19:05 PM »
Posting to follow.

My current employer is reasonable (management goes every which way but my boss and his boss keep us on a more than reasonable track).

The only FU like thing that happened to me was after I got fired from a part-time job in a supermarket (at 17) because the manager claimed he saw me smoking pot in a cafe at night the day before. Which was impossible because I was working at the time he claimed. And since I had to work until 23:00 it was unreasonable to expect me to be back at 6:00. They did this a couple of times even though I said they shouldn't because I was prone to oversleeping, even a special 80dB alarm couldn't wake me.
So I go home, not quite bothered because at 17 I could find a job in 2 days, maybe 3.

I had indeed landed a job after a few interviews at several temp agencies. I was working in a freezer cell, packing premade lunches for 6f an hour (about 3$). When I was done on the first day I walked out and never went back because I got a call to work at McDonalds.
On the plus, I wasn't cold anymore, just hot. On the downside, they paid me 5,50 an hour.

Incidentally, my mom sent a vicious letter to the supermarket corporate after we received a questionnaire because of my resignation. She detailed all the things they did wrong like letti g a minor work past his maximum time, too many hours, ignoring mandatory break time between 2 consecutive shifts (at least 10 hours for a minor).
Everything was in their systems because they used time cards. I walk in a couple of months later and chat with a former coworker. Appearently the team leader, and his assistant (who fired me) had been relocated to locations far away for our standards. We never heard back about the letter to corporate but I suspect they did the transfer because of it.

And justice is served!

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #2635 on: April 06, 2019, 03:02:34 PM »
@Taran Wanderer, presumably ;)

But writing the previous story made me realise that we actually do have a somewhat epic story.

DW was working for one of the larger healthcare organisations in the city who provide care for the elderly (at home or institutionalised). She started working with a 1 year contract which has a 1 month trial period and a 1 month notice-period (2 for the employer but only with signature by a judge, local law).

She was supposed to receive training for one week, and be surpless for the 2nd so that she could tag along with more experienced colleagues. But, healthcare being healthcare, she had to start fulltime on the workfloor from day one including responsibilities where lower qualified personel called her in case of questions, emergencies etc. 29 days after starting she gets called into the office, her work is sub-par (well duh!) and colleagues have been complaining (without specifying about what). They were going to extend her trial period by one month after which she was no longer welcome (i.e. she was let go during her trial period).

She came home, quite distressed and I told her I would handle it. Since DW is foreing the language is a barrier so the legal terms would have been difficult for her. I called her HR contact, said my piece in a reasonable way and basically told them "you can't do this, it's unlawful, and fix it". They denied in all vehemence that what they did was unlawful and that my wife being foreing was the source of the whole problem (her language skills were appearently the problem, her previous employers lauded her attempts and had no problem that her grammar was often a bit off as long as she could make the meaning clear).
I had a few back and forths with them, they wouldn't budge. So, I called a lawyer and asked them how much to handle this, 600,- for a few letters and at least another 600,- again if it goes to court. 600,- isn't a big deal for us but for someone in my wife's job (often parttime, unwilling to confront and dependent on the income and frequently single moms too) that's quite a sum without any guaranteed prospect of returns. I said go for it. The lawyer had a nice back and forth with HR.

Meanwhile my wife is in her last week. HR or the manager was putting on airs and she had to work 6 days, one until 23:00, starting the next at 7:00 and that for all consecutive workdays (she had 3 of those days the past month and their union agreement states that such a shift may only occur once every 14 days). I called her HR again and said that if they didn't change it, we would report them. I also implied that my wife wasn't feeling well and might call in sick (which had serious repercussions if she left the workforce sick, as in they had to keep on paying sickleave for up to 10 years if she was unable to work).
They changed the shifts to all late shifts, annoying but OK. Salarywise, my wife didn't need to work (my base salary was more than enough for living cost) so we didn't apply for unemployment. Unemployment has some very annoying rules and my wife didn't want to go through that again. Also, there was a risk that we had to return the unemployment money if the lawyer didn't do a good job and ended the contract in the wrong way.

1 month later, DW had the same job with a different employer at a close-by town/village ;P The lawyer had an offer from the previous employer entailing that they would pay one more month of salary, it should have been the 10 month still left in the contract BUT my wife would have to remain "available" in case te employer folded and let het finish the contract. So, I told the lawyer that we wanted 2 months as a final offer (matching the employer notice period) and otherwise we would go to court and I told the lawyer specifically to mention that as well. They accepted.

For me this was a case of principle and I would have taken them to court, regardless of the outcome or cost. They are a fairly big company and know how the rules work. They knowingly transgressed and played ignorant which appearently works and I figured it should stop. What also played a major part is that they advertise that they desperately needed people, women returning to the workplace after the kids left home (education included) were more than welcome. But when my wife was hired, all promisses went out the window (even the mandatory training and re-certification one) and they basically walked all over her.
Realistically, they won't change their ways but at least they got bitten by their own stupidity.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2636 on: April 06, 2019, 03:22:37 PM »
For me this was a case of principle and I would have taken them to court, regardless of the outcome or cost. They are a fairly big company and know how the rules work. They knowingly transgressed and played ignorant which appearently works and I figured it should stop.

On behalf of helpless and downtrodden employees everywhere, thank you.   People need to stick together.

AO1FireTo

• Stubble
« Reply #2637 on: April 06, 2019, 07:01:48 PM »
For me this was a case of principle and I would have taken them to court, regardless of the outcome or cost. They are a fairly big company and know how the rules work. They knowingly transgressed and played ignorant which appearently works and I figured it should stop.

On behalf of helpless and downtrodden employees everywhere, thank you.   People need to stick together.

Yes Bravo for making taking them on.  Sounds like a good use of FU money to me.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2638 on: April 22, 2019, 12:54:20 PM »
Posting up my DW's story. My wife is a preschool teacher at a private center. She's been working for this place since last August, and has been miserable nearly the entire time. She has been labeled by her boss (the owner) as "confrontational". When asked why, she claimed it was because she questioned the practice of the boss sending out a group text each night with the next day's schedule, then requiring everyone in the group text to reply to the group text. They held it against her for not updating the Facebook site for months, even though she told them back in August that she didn't have admin rights and that they needed to grant those to her if they wanted her to update it (never happened). Since she is salaried, any time off had to be made up - fine. But she was only allowed to count certain hours, the majority of the extra time she put in was not considered eligible. The final straw came yesterday though when she was called into her boss' office and told she was being written up for "missing too much time". Her boss had documented all of the time she claimed my wife missed, but would not let her leave with the sheet without signing it. My wife wanted to cross reference it with her own records and refused to sign it, so they finally gave her a copy. She came home at lunch and found numerous errors/discrepancies that she produced documentation for and copied to the back of the sheet (so it couldn't be misplaced). She took it back into her boss and said, "here is the form, I've attached corrections on the back and signed it, and the sheet below it is my resignation". Her boss wouldn't even look at her and just said, "ok". My wife said, "I'll give you two weeks notice, but I will understand if you don't want it and will leave today if you prefer". Her boss, still not looking at her, said "ok". My wife said, "so.... which do you prefer?" and was finally told she'll take the two weeks. It sucks for my wife's coworkers, because the boss won't hire anyone else and will just expect them to fill in for her. She's already gotten a lot of supportive texts from her coworkers and parents, so she feels validated that not everyone thought she was doing a terrible job (even had some tears from some of her coworkers). I feel for them, but DW has to do what's right for her. She already had another job offer, but we could survive indefinitely without her pay. Just glad she finally put an end to putting up with this one's shit!

Came here for some inspiration today (after Easter Monday blah's), and realized I have an update for my DW's story. She recently interviewed for and was hired for a part time special education early childhood position at the next town over (less than ten minutes from home). She doesn't start until August, but she's been in touch with the assistant in the room and the current teacher and will go in and job shadow some this spring yet. She was super excited to find a part time position as it allows her to be available for our kids' appointments (orthodontist, etc.) and her mom's appointments (lives with us and has regular doctor visits). She will still have her summers off but be able to have her pay spread over 12 months like a normal teacher - best of both worlds! I'm super happy for her, now just need to find a replacement gig for me...  ;)

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #2639 on: April 22, 2019, 12:57:57 PM »
Posting up my DW's story. My wife is a preschool teacher at a private center. She's been working for this place since last August, and has been miserable nearly the entire time. She has been labeled by her boss (the owner) as "confrontational". When asked why, she claimed it was because she questioned the practice of the boss sending out a group text each night with the next day's schedule, then requiring everyone in the group text to reply to the group text. They held it against her for not updating the Facebook site for months, even though she told them back in August that she didn't have admin rights and that they needed to grant those to her if they wanted her to update it (never happened). Since she is salaried, any time off had to be made up - fine. But she was only allowed to count certain hours, the majority of the extra time she put in was not considered eligible. The final straw came yesterday though when she was called into her boss' office and told she was being written up for "missing too much time". Her boss had documented all of the time she claimed my wife missed, but would not let her leave with the sheet without signing it. My wife wanted to cross reference it with her own records and refused to sign it, so they finally gave her a copy. She came home at lunch and found numerous errors/discrepancies that she produced documentation for and copied to the back of the sheet (so it couldn't be misplaced). She took it back into her boss and said, "here is the form, I've attached corrections on the back and signed it, and the sheet below it is my resignation". Her boss wouldn't even look at her and just said, "ok". My wife said, "I'll give you two weeks notice, but I will understand if you don't want it and will leave today if you prefer". Her boss, still not looking at her, said "ok". My wife said, "so.... which do you prefer?" and was finally told she'll take the two weeks. It sucks for my wife's coworkers, because the boss won't hire anyone else and will just expect them to fill in for her. She's already gotten a lot of supportive texts from her coworkers and parents, so she feels validated that not everyone thought she was doing a terrible job (even had some tears from some of her coworkers). I feel for them, but DW has to do what's right for her. She already had another job offer, but we could survive indefinitely without her pay. Just glad she finally put an end to putting up with this one's shit!

Came here for some inspiration today (after Easter Monday blah's), and realized I have an update for my DW's story. She recently interviewed for and was hired for a part time special education early childhood position at the next town over (less than ten minutes from home). She doesn't start until August, but she's been in touch with the assistant in the room and the current teacher and will go in and job shadow some this spring yet. She was super excited to find a part time position as it allows her to be available for our kids' appointments (orthodontist, etc.) and her mom's appointments (lives with us and has regular doctor visits). She will still have her summers off but be able to have her pay spread over 12 months like a normal teacher - best of both worlds! I'm super happy for her, now just need to find a replacement gig for me...  ;)

Awesome.
FU money meant she got the better job!

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2640 on: April 25, 2019, 02:40:02 PM »
It's interesting reading this stories. Does this happen because there is no social welfare? do not people receive some kind of support the first months they are jobless?

There are unemployment benefits.  But you usually don't qualify if you quit or get fired for cause.  Your former employer can and, in many cases, will fight you for it. 

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2641 on: April 25, 2019, 03:47:29 PM »
Inspiring stories. But from a different perspective. They inspire me to encourage my kids to be entrepreneurs. If you work for yourself and hate your boss, then who’s to blame for that?

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2642 on: April 25, 2019, 04:12:33 PM »
Inspiring stories. But from a different perspective. They inspire me to encourage my kids to be entrepreneurs. If you work for yourself and hate your boss, then who’s to blame for that?

In that case all your customers/clients are your boss, and FU money could give you the power to say it to one of them and still be able to handle the loss of business.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2643 on: April 25, 2019, 04:44:24 PM »

In that case all your customers/clients are your boss, and FU money could give you the power to say it to one of them and still be able to handle the loss of business.

Yes!!!!   This!!!!

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2644 on: April 26, 2019, 06:02:49 AM »

Agree!  We lived in a fancy pants ski resort several years back and owned a small catering/private chef company (mostly just us).  The first couple years were super tough, but our last couple years we turned down business.  The politician's wife that was just unpleasant and never tipped - we were busy the next couple times she called.  The very well known celebrity that called and had multiple requirements for us to be his personal chef - husband told the assistant that it sounded like too much of a hassle and to call someone else.  Anyone that called about a wedding - we'd tell them that we were sorry, but we don't cater weddings. 

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #2645 on: April 26, 2019, 08:00:18 AM »

Agree!  We lived in a fancy pants ski resort several years back and owned a small catering/private chef company (mostly just us).  The first couple years were super tough, but our last couple years we turned down business.  The politician's wife that was just unpleasant and never tipped - we were busy the next couple times she called.  The very well known celebrity that called and had multiple requirements for us to be his personal chef - husband told the assistant that it sounded like too much of a hassle and to call someone else.  Anyone that called about a wedding - we'd tell them that we were sorry, but we don't cater weddings.

Awesome. FU money at work!!
I like it that you told the assistant that it was too much hassle. Hopefully, it got back to the celebrity.

Montecarlo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2646 on: April 29, 2019, 05:29:22 AM »
Following

Montecarlo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2647 on: April 29, 2019, 06:53:56 AM »
Just to keep this thread going...

Background: I work in a field services organization with two corporate offices in two states.  I started working as a data bitch for the CEO at corporate office A before office B was opened near his home, where I was relocated there.  I hated the weather and increasingly disliked working for the CEO.  He is a smart guy, but prone to outbursts, easily agitated, makes vague requests and is unhappy despite multiple genuine attempts to fulfill them and multiple revisions... and I was treated better than most people there.  He also had a severely dysfunctional relationship with the CFO, and we have a new ownership group and new board of directors.

So I politic myself into getting a role leading a department where I knew the current director was about to be fired.  The guy they had slated to take over didn't want the job, so it wasn't too hard to get it and a nice raise along with it.  Most of the staff was at office A, but I would stay at office B.  I have frequently gossiped with the CFOs minion about what a nutcase the CEO is, and it must have gotten back to the CFO.  We wind up having drinks.

CFO: Won't you do a better job in office A?
Me: Yes, but CEO, I'm a wussy pants, waah waah
CFO: If you want to move to office A, I will make it happen.
Me: How?
CFO:  I'll tell CEO, Monte is moving to office A.  That's it.
Me: What if CEO flips out and wants to fire me?
CFO: I won't let that happen.

I did want to move.  Better weather (gulf summers suck, omg, give me northern winter any day over gulf summer), friends, no pyscho bosses.  But I was worried.  I thought the CFO was using me to weaken the CEO, I figured I would now be considered politically aligned with CFO and an enemy of the state.  But I also had a big stash of FU money, even though I didn't think of it that way.

I think it over a few weeks and tell CFO I want to move.  The CEOs right hand man calls me in for a chat, which was awkward but polite.  A few months later I am relocated back to office A.  Life continues, no drama or fallout.

I got a little worried when the board shot the CFO, figuring that may spell the end for me.  But then I remembered - I have an EVEN BIGGER FU stash than I had before.

So far no fallout.  I've seen the CEO a couple times since then.  He's kind of forgot about me.  If you're not in his presence on a daily basis, you basically don't exist.  Which is pretty f'ing awesome right now.  I'm flying under the radar, making tons of $$$ and stashing it.  I'm working my ass off, but my overworked boss back in office B barely has time to oversee anything I do.  I basically run autonomously and can get shit done the right way for a company that has been good to me, but also am secure that I can walk out or get shot anytime and still be okay.

Farmgirl

• Stubble
« Reply #2648 on: April 29, 2019, 10:53:42 AM »
These stories are so inspirational.  Keep 'em coming!

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2649 on: April 29, 2019, 11:14:27 AM »
Just to keep this thread going...

Background: I work in a field services organization with two corporate offices in two states.  I started working as a data bitch for the CEO at corporate office A before office B was opened near his home, where I was relocated there.  I hated the weather and increasingly disliked working for the CEO.  He is a smart guy, but prone to outbursts, easily agitated, makes vague requests and is unhappy despite multiple genuine attempts to fulfill them and multiple revisions... and I was treated better than most people there.  He also had a severely dysfunctional relationship with the CFO, and we have a new ownership group and new board of directors.

So I politic myself into getting a role leading a department where I knew the current director was about to be fired.  The guy they had slated to take over didn't want the job, so it wasn't too hard to get it and a nice raise along with it.  Most of the staff was at office A, but I would stay at office B.  I have frequently gossiped with the CFOs minion about what a nutcase the CEO is, and it must have gotten back to the CFO.  We wind up having drinks.

CFO: Won't you do a better job in office A?
Me: Yes, but CEO, I'm a wussy pants, waah waah
CFO: If you want to move to office A, I will make it happen.
Me: How?
CFO:  I'll tell CEO, Monte is moving to office A.  That's it.
Me: What if CEO flips out and wants to fire me?
CFO: I won't let that happen.

I did want to move.  Better weather (gulf summers suck, omg, give me northern winter any day over gulf summer), friends, no pyscho bosses.  But I was worried.  I thought the CFO was using me to weaken the CEO, I figured I would now be considered politically aligned with CFO and an enemy of the state.  But I also had a big stash of FU money, even though I didn't think of it that way.

I think it over a few weeks and tell CFO I want to move.  The CEOs right hand man calls me in for a chat, which was awkward but polite.  A few months later I am relocated back to office A.  Life continues, no drama or fallout.

I got a little worried when the board shot the CFO, figuring that may spell the end for me.  But then I remembered - I have an EVEN BIGGER FU stash than I had before.

So far no fallout.  I've seen the CEO a couple times since then.  He's kind of forgot about me.  If you're not in his presence on a daily basis, you basically don't exist.  Which is pretty f'ing awesome right now.  I'm flying under the radar, making tons of $$$ and stashing it.  I'm working my ass off, but my overworked boss back in office B barely has time to oversee anything I do.  I basically run autonomously and can get shit done the right way for a company that has been good to me, but also am secure that I can walk out or get shot anytime and still be okay.
This is a fantastic story. May you continue to be badass.