Author Topic: Epic FU money stories  (Read 2794874 times)

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
Re: Epic FU money stories
« Reply #2400 on: July 13, 2018, 09:12:21 AM »

Normally, this would be a frustrating situation, but since FI, I have No More F**k's To Give.  (I should get a T-shirt:  NMFTG)

I would buy that t-shirt!

After reading the original post, I was about to reply and say the same thing! A NMFTG t-shirt does fit in my FIRE budget.

Is this close enough?
Ooh, Hellboy needs one of these for himself and more for gifts! Paging @UnleashHell... Break out the credit card and order up a supply of these...

you are gonna have to wait until my last day at work when the FI mission is complete.

I would though!!

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2401 on: July 13, 2018, 01:14:38 PM »
You asked for it! Here is your NMFTG t-shirt: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07FKRCC8M

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2402 on: July 13, 2018, 07:35:26 PM »

Normally, this would be a frustrating situation, but since FI, I have No More F**k's To Give.  (I should get a T-shirt:  NMFTG)

I would buy that t-shirt!

After reading the original post, I was about to reply and say the same thing! A NMFTG t-shirt does fit in my FIRE budget.

Is this close enough?
Ooh, Hellboy needs one of these for himself and more for gifts! Paging @UnleashHell... Break out the credit card and order up a supply of these...

you are gonna have to wait until my last day at work when the FI mission is complete.

I would though!!
Buy it now, secure in the knowledge that day is a-comin' soon, Hellboy.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2403 on: July 14, 2018, 10:07:00 PM »
Somebody bought one! That was right nice of you!

mstr d

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2404 on: July 17, 2018, 11:45:23 AM »
I was unloading my truck at a supermarket. After unloading the manager helped me loading my truck again with containers with empty crades.
A employee of the store came outside because se had a lunch break and she started smoking right next the back entrace and tail lift of my truck where I am working.
I asked her nicely if she like to stop smoking or smoke somewhere else. She just ignored me.

I asked nicely again. Still ignored me. Then I said a third time and she says I am outside I have a break I can smoke here. I told her my truck is a workplace and I am allowed to work smoke free. I need to load at this door and you can go somewhere else I can't.
The manager sayed nothing all this time.
I told the girl and the manager, she go smoke somewhere else or this container is the last one I load.

She did not stop. So I closed my tail lift. And the manager wass like??? What are you doing. I said: I just told you this is the last container I gonna load. He: I will not sign the cargo papers!. I said Oke with a smile and I drove off! The manager went inside to call my boss. And I hear the girl asking her manager: bud is it not allowed to smoke?

I was driving back, my boss called me he asked me how are you doing? I said very happy: Great. And asked why I did not load all the containers. I explained everything. He was oke with it, bud i had to call next time. And when I was back the big boss for we we drive was the that owns the store was there and asked me what happened he told me he supported me.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2405 on: July 17, 2018, 11:56:10 AM »
I told the girl and the manager, she go smoke somewhere else or this container is the last one I load.

She did not stop. So I closed my tail lift. And the manager wass like??? What are you doing. I said: I just told you this is the last container I gonna load.

People blow so much smoke (hah!) and never follow through on their threats.  Like you, I don't bluff.  I love the surprise when I actually do what I said I was going to do.  "were you listening???"

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2406 on: July 17, 2018, 05:27:51 PM »
Not really epic but....

Background info:  Just this week, the sale of two of my rental properties closed. It was a bulk-deconversion from a condo building into apartments, with some investment REIT company paying a 30-40% premium over market value for all of the units in the building. It finally closed. I received the proceeds from the sale of my two (paid off) units yesterday, and today I wired a pay-off to the mortgage company on my home. After reserving some for estimated tax payments, I wired the rest of the funds to my broker.  Now I'm sitting on a 100% paid off home, zero debt whatsoever, and between tax-advantaged-retirement accounts and after-tax accounts, I have about 1.25M invested in low cost index funds.

At work today, there was some hair-on-fire emergency just as I was about to leave for the day (after coming in at 7:00am this morning... and my boss came in at 10:00am, mind you)... I decided I would just leave for the day anyway. :D  Life is good.  What are they going to do, fire me tomorrow? lol.

Stash Engineer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2407 on: July 17, 2018, 07:40:43 PM »
Not really epic but....

Background info:  Just this week, the sale of two of my rental properties closed. It was a bulk-deconversion from a condo building into apartments, with some investment REIT company paying a 30-40% premium over market value for all of the units in the building. It finally closed. I received the proceeds from the sale of my two (paid off) units yesterday, and today I wired a pay-off to the mortgage company on my home. After reserving some for estimated tax payments, I wired the rest of the funds to my broker.  Now I'm sitting on a 100% paid off home, zero debt whatsoever, and between tax-advantaged-retirement accounts and after-tax accounts, I have about 1.25M invested in low cost index funds.

At work today, there was some hair-on-fire emergency just as I was about to leave for the day (after coming in at 7:00am this morning... and my boss came in at 10:00am, mind you)... I decided I would just leave for the day anyway. :D  Life is good.  What are they going to do, fire me tomorrow? lol.

Sounds FrEaKiN EPIC to me!

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2408 on: July 17, 2018, 08:13:06 PM »
+1. Totally epic! Congrats on a job well done.

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2409 on: July 18, 2018, 07:22:03 AM »
Not really epic but....

Yes!! This is where I hope my husband is in about 10 years.  He gets in at 7 and there's always late meetings.  Can't wait until he can say "nope!"  Good for you!

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2410 on: July 18, 2018, 10:04:34 AM »
rantk81 - awesome.  Not sure I could have even gone into the office after clearing the accounts :-)

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2411 on: July 18, 2018, 06:17:44 PM »
Thanks. I feel like I’m almost FI now, but not enough of a safety margin (especially considering the questions about health expenses in the USA in the future) to call it quits quite yet... bring on the OMY I guess...

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2412 on: August 10, 2018, 08:34:28 PM »
So, I got a new job last December because my old job was giving me issues. There was a whole mental breakdown in fact, that was interesting (it's probably somewhere in this thread actually). Anyway, new job. Great, except for the part where they lied about all the culture problems (previously REALLY toxic, now just messed up), put me on the most dysfunctional team, and that they didn't actually do training. And apparently I hate the whole industry, like really think that it shouldn't exist in current form.

I gave them a chance. I really, really did. But things aren't getting better, they're actually getting worse. I don't want to put up with it. There are more jobs for me than people like me, so I don't need to put up with it.

I got a verbal offer from another company, more money (not really a concern honestly), much better industry, get great vibes from the team. I GRILLED them on culture, morale, training, etc. Really grilled them, to the extent that they seemed surprised. Apparently it worked though, cause they like me.

So, now I get to figure out how to give notice when I've been in the job for 6 months. That should be interesting. Not doing anything until I have the formal, written offer and paperwork is official. So, probably next week.

So, this thread's been dead - so I'm going foamy.

The proper resignation letter is in the style of President Nixon. However, unlike Nixon, you typically are giving notice of intent to quit in a timeperiod (the canonical "2 weeks notice") - thus, the addendum:

"I hereby resign [position] effective [date]"

No explanations, no elaborations, no tearful goodbyes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Letter_of_Resignation_of_Richard_M._Nixon,_1974.jpg
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 10:49:41 AM by FrugalToque »

Nangirl17

• Stubble
« Reply #2413 on: August 16, 2018, 07:27:41 AM »
My SO had a company wide call at work yesterday where they talked about equity vs. equality, and the CEO was "so passionate" about this issue <eyeroll>. My SO dearly wanted to ask if he was going to forego his $16MM salary this year to make it more equitable...

While he could technically retire now, we're going to hold off for a year or two and then he can burn his bridges! I can't wait to copy/paste the email here he sends when he leaves the company!!

afuera

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2414 on: August 16, 2018, 12:45:19 PM »
My SO had a company wide call at work yesterday where they talked about equity vs. equality, and the CEO was "so passionate" about this issue <eyeroll>. My SO dearly wanted to ask if he was going to forego his $16MM salary this year to make it more equitable...

While he could technically retire now, we're going to hold off for a year or two and then he can burn his bridges! I can't wait to copy/paste the email here he sends when he leaves the company!!
Umm, do your SO and I work at the same place?  That is literally exactly what my companies CEO was spouting on about the other day.  Either that or its just a trend...

HoustonSker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2415 on: August 16, 2018, 02:11:56 PM »

Umm, do your SO and I work at the same place?  That is literally exactly what my companies CEO was spouting on about the other day.  Either that or its just a trend...

Equinor?

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2416 on: August 16, 2018, 04:21:08 PM »

Equinor?

If some ceos in equinor makes $16millions, the Norwegian media would be very happy to hear about it. The official numbers are closer to $1.6mill. https://www.aftenbladet.no/aenergi/i/G1nv0J/Statoil-sjefen-okte-lonna-med-31-prosent (Table with salaries if you scroll down in article).

EricL

« Reply #2417 on: August 16, 2018, 04:52:01 PM »
OK, I finally found something I definitely have a beef with Nancy over.  She doesn't want to impeach Trump.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/08/nancy-pelosi-shrugs-off-trump-impeachment-ahead-of-midterm-elections.html

Wrong thread? Pelosi was over in off-topic

Yep.  Sorry for foam.

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #2418 on: August 17, 2018, 09:20:39 AM »
I interview for assignment contract. I am told I will be 1 of 3 employees, and that call will be shared among us three.

I arrive, get roughly two weeks of training, and then become 1 of 2 employees as employee 3 has decided to use all of her vacation to disappear for three weeks. I am 1 of 2 people taking call then obviously. It becomes clear to me that this department really needs 4 employees, not 3, with their current patient load. During that time, Employee 1 puts in her notice, effective the day Employee 3 returns from vacation.

Somehow Employee 3 STILL gets to take more vacation and so there are literally days where I am the only staff for that department that day, and they're bringing in strangers from other locations who don't know what the fuq about anything. I am so irritated by their incompetence, I wish they hadn't come at all, but I digress. I am still 1 of 2 people being on call.

Employee 3 (now employee 1, since she's the only true staff at this point) do our best. But after one evening where I scanned 15 patients, I consider not going back in. My injury is flaring up because of this chronic understaffing, and I'm not willing to destroy myself for anyone. But I'm new with this contract company, and I am not prone to Immediate Quitting so I go in and I find the immediate supervisor.

I tell her about my prior injury, that I'm not interested in being injured again. That the current workload with no reprieve from management was demoralizing. That if I were a regular staff employee, this would be my two weeks notice. But that because I'm contract, I would finish my contract. I add that I am not interested in extending (implied, no matter how fuq'd they are) with the staffing level is as it is now. She assures me that they have hired a new permanent staffer and approved another contract worker.

WE suffer another two weeks. The new people start and pull the clueless "I'm new" card about why they aren't pulling their weight. But I keep in mind everyone is not as quick out the gate as I am (I suppose that's narcissim but it's true) and at least console myself that in 10 more days, they'll get their weight in call at least and I am final 1 of 4.

Employee 1 puts in HER notice. I practically high five her. I contemplate that this location will be asking for an extension, talk it over with the hubs, and decide I'll extend no more than a month ONLY because I'm 2-3 weeks short of my Max the 401k goal, but that would be it. I go in to inquire if they'll be extending, and they put me off with admin bullshit. Which may be true, but I immediately grow impatient with their stupidity. They only have 1 employee left, having lost the other three to chronic understaffing, and they're not ensuring their new employee has help in advance? Additionally, my landlady wants to list the place I'm staying in, and I am no interested in going through the legwork to find a new place to stay if they want to wait until the last desperate moment to ask me. I tell my landlady I'm giving them until the 24th, and then she can list the place. (she's very accomadating, that's still 30 days prior to end of my lease anyway)

But then I see an educational symposium I want to go to. And my injury is flaring up. So, I just told them yesterday, that regardless of whatever their needs are, I won't be available for two weeks end of September for "rest and a symposium."

I know none of this is Quitting with a big FU but someone who was desperate for a paycheck wouldn't have talked to their supervisor that way, nor would they be informing them of when their vacations would be without asking for approval. These are MY wins, and I wanted to share them.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2419 on: August 17, 2018, 09:33:21 AM »
^^And I am glad you did. Good for you! First rule is: Take Care of Yourself.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #2420 on: August 17, 2018, 02:29:46 PM »

My injury is flaring up because of this chronic understaffing, and I'm not willing to destroy myself for anyone.

Another great reason to have walking money!!

LV

Capt j-rod

• Bristles
« Reply #2421 on: August 23, 2018, 07:04:28 PM »
This is very small scale but funny none the less. I used to restore classic cars years ago. I kept my best one and sold off the rest. I was doing some shop cleaning and there were a set of very nice seats out of chevelle ss. These seats are easily worth $750. I threw them out on the two-face book in the marketplace for $200. Literally a steal but I just wanted them gone and I felt good by giving someone a deal. After two days of messaging and I agree to hold the seats for the guy. He shows up and offers me $100... In my crabby ass pissed off mood I nonchalantly walk over to my tool box, grabbed a box cutter and slashed the shit out the seats. I then turned and replied that they are now worth $100 and I can help him load them in his truck. He was literally speechless and got in the truck and drove away. What he didn't know is that I have OEM seat skins waiting to go on the seats and I was going to throw them in. I loaded them up and gave them to a buddy tonight for free. No good deed ever goes un punished.

Duke03

• Bristles
« Reply #2422 on: August 23, 2018, 08:14:01 PM »
This is very small scale but funny none the less. I used to restore classic cars years ago. I kept my best one and sold off the rest. I was doing some shop cleaning and there were a set of very nice seats out of chevelle ss. These seats are easily worth $750. I threw them out on the two-face book in the marketplace for $200. Literally a steal but I just wanted them gone and I felt good by giving someone a deal. After two days of messaging and I agree to hold the seats for the guy. He shows up and offers me $100... In my crabby ass pissed off mood I nonchalantly walk over to my tool box, grabbed a box cutter and slashed the shit out the seats. I then turned and replied that they are now worth $100 and I can help him load them in his truck. He was literally speechless and got in the truck and drove away. What he didn't know is that I have OEM seat skins waiting to go on the seats and I was going to throw them in. I loaded them up and gave them to a buddy tonight for free. No good deed ever goes un punished.

Did we just become best friends?

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2423 on: August 23, 2018, 09:24:15 PM »

Me too!

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2424 on: August 24, 2018, 12:58:30 AM »

Me too!

Can I be in this awesome club?

Capt j-rod

• Bristles
« Reply #2425 on: August 24, 2018, 06:39:06 AM »
LOL! My buddy that I gave them to begged me to take $400... I told him that we would trade later.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #2426 on: August 24, 2018, 07:50:30 AM »

Me too!

UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

That is something else.  That guy just offering $100 is special to begin with, but your response is AMAZING.  He is probably posting somewhere about the nut he met and managed to avoid....

dollarchaser

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2427 on: August 24, 2018, 03:44:33 PM »
Great story. Buying and selling to strangers is almost always a shit show.

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #2428 on: August 27, 2018, 01:27:18 PM »

Me too!

That is something else.  That guy just offering $100 is special to begin with, but your response is AMAZING.  He is probably posting somewhere about the nut he met and managed to avoid....
Yep probably posted right here in this forum in the Wall of Shame and Comedy section.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2429 on: August 28, 2018, 06:52:13 AM »

Me too!

By now that story has morph'd into you chased him into his truck with a box cutter no doubt. ;)

haflander

• Bristles
« Reply #2430 on: September 04, 2018, 03:08:58 PM »
I love this thread, I get sad when there are no stories for a while. I've been sitting on an FU story from my college days, waiting for a lull in the thread and some boredom at work. If you're short on time, just read the * paragraph.

I had a string of shitty jobs over about 5 yrs in hs/college to pay for school. These included overnight freight/stocking at Home Depot, valet at fancy resort, "waiter" at old folks' home dining room, waiter/bartender at Buffalo Wild Wings, delivery driver for a shady advertising company, assembling heavy duty truck/train locks, appliance delivery/receiving warehouse. Time in each varied from a few days to >1 yr. Typically, I would work during the summer (usually two jobs), and then just quit when it was convenient for me or I couldn't swing the loaded schedule anymore with 15/18 hours of school. Often, I would drive to job 2 (change clothes in the car) after a full day of job 1. I was fired twice from a second job...because the first was going well and Idgaf about the second anymore, and just started sucking at it enough to be fired. I guess that's a mini FU in itself.
Funny side story #1: I was once pulled over; I was speeding to get to the below job on time after school. I was in the middle of changing clothes and I didn't have pants on when the officer got to my window. He was confused but believed my true story, as we were right next to the factory where I worked. Then he looked at my license and asked..."is today your bday?" It was literally my bday, and he let me off with a warning. Thanks cop, wherever you are.

The last of these jobs was at a huge factory that manufactured aluminum parts for clients. Parts were anywhere from huge 100-foot long truck accessories (the railing with holes for tie-down straps) to parts the size of a Rubik's cube. The factory was the size of a several football fields and it was dirty, smelly, and f****** hot. My dept was the CNC lathe machine section, google if necessary. Basically, machines the size of a car/truck would use computer formulas to drill and cut metal pieces. So, you had to know some basic geometry and computer language to know what you're doing, so it was the highest paid and most...white dept of the factory. Sorry, but Idk a more PC way to say that. Even though it was the most skilled, it was still dirty with grime and oil to lube drills, and dangerous. I knew a few guys who didn't have ten fingers from decades of this type of work. One had two half-fingers. I refer to this employer as the Nine Finger Factory, or 9FF. As you can assume, many guys were terrible with money. Several went to the check cashing place every payday for money and paid for literally everything with cash...ya know, can't trust banks or online accounts for my money.
Funny side story #2: I made it out with all ten fingers, but did have one scare. I was trying to loosen a drill bit from its holder. My hand slipped and I cut my wrist on the drill bit. You could see the bone on the side of my wrist, where there's just bone, no muscle. It actually didn't bleed a lot and I was fine. I still have an inch-long scar, but I'm pretty hairy so it's hard to see.
Funny side story #3: Alcoholic boss came in to work wasted once, stumbling and fell asleep. Fired.

*I took the job at 9FF in the beginning of my last summer of school, maybe mid-May. I was on the second shift, 2:30-11:00. Work was monotonous, dirty, and hot, all to be expected. After setting up your machine and getting help to fine tune the measurements, work was as follows... Put part in. Tighten clamps. Press go. Machine drills holes. Loosen clamps. Take old part out. One cycle lasted anywhere from 30 seconds to 5 minutes. I also took two summer classes so I could graduate on time the next May, classes were from about 8:00-12:00. Other than the job inherently sucking but otherwise paying ok, they would change the schedule constantly, and you had no input on your hours. Lot of work this month? The sched is now 6-6. They would tell us this on Friday, for the next Monday. Also on Fridays they would tell us whether we had to work Saturday. Impossible to make any weekend plans for this reason. I would constantly fall asleep in class in the mornings. The profs I had that summer must have known (small classes) but gave me good grades anyway. I was seriously afraid of falling asleep driving home after work. I constantly felt s***-faced drunk, kinda like a zombie. I held on to the job going into the school year knowing I wouldn't keep at it much longer with their BS. I went to grandboss one day telling him I wasn't going to do a variable schedule anymore. He acted like it was a big deal but said ok in the end, I guess we were busy at the time. Around then I did the math of how much I needed to pay off the next and final year of school and decided that after I had that much, I wouldn't work a sched that wasn't convenient for me and school. One (middle of the week?) day found out we were going back to the 6-6 sched. So, I told grandboss I wouldn't come in the next Monday at 6, said I could work the normal hours. He said no, I'm not special, etc. I said ok, Friday is my last day. He said ok but also looked pretty smug, maybe he thought I was bluffing. Guys I worked with didn't care much either for the same reason. Friday I had pizza delivered to work to throw myself a party, knowing it would be the last shitty manual labor job I ever had. That weekend, I went with the gf to her fam's lakehouse and celebrated with lake days and drinking.
Funny side story #4: The low point during this job was when I was talking to a friend and started to nod off and fall asleep mid-conversation when she was talking.

The job sucked but helped me to appreciate $ and be grateful for my education and white-collar job. I didn't take any loans during my last 2 years of school due to the above work and learning my lessons of fed student loans the previous 2 years. I don't have much sympathy for those with huge 6-figure school loan debt because I assume there's no way they were working as much as possible to help pay for school. I keep a few small parts from the factory around my apt and desk at work to remind myself that I have it pretty good. For anyone wondering, I did have enough to pay for school and haven't done a day of a manual labor job since. I drive past 9FF multiple times a week and smile.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2431 on: September 04, 2018, 04:37:54 PM »
I don't have much sympathy for those with huge 6-figure school loan debt because I assume there's no way they were working as much as possible to help pay for school.

That was a good story.
Yes, six fig loans are ridiculous.

But what you did was dangerous.  I don't consider working and going to school until you nod off to be at all safe.  Now, I worked PT in college and studied my ass off (4 hours of sleep a night, whee!) and fell asleep in class too - but at least I didn't own a car and only walked across campus.  I wasn't going to accidentally kill someone doing that.

I wouldn't recommend anyone work themselves to exhaustion like that.

AO1FireTo

• Stubble
« Reply #2432 on: September 04, 2018, 05:36:28 PM »
This is not about me, but a colleague of mine.

I worked for a large telecommunications company and each year like clockwork they usually lay off x percent of the company.  I had a friend who worked in the long distance department, and he was in charge of all the tables to keep track of the local calling areas.  Each year his department got smaller and smaller until effectively he was the only one that really knew how the tables worked.  If they wanted to make any price changes, etc. they needed him to make the changes or it wouldn't go through.  Well he got a new Director and I guess he didn't really know what my friend did.  My friend got called into a "meeting" and was told that he was getting laid off effectively immediately and asked to sign the exit package.  My friend quietly declined to sign and said that he needed to consult a lawyer.  After he was escorted out, he called all of his contacts at work and told them they better escalate to their VP's because they were effectively screwed now he was gone.

Next day he gets a call from HR offering his old job back plus a small raise.  He politely declinced but did tell them he'd come back as a contractor at double his normal rate as long as they signed a two year contract, and increased his exit package.  Long story short he got what he wanted and has been a contractor for more than the original two years. 

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2433 on: September 04, 2018, 07:17:24 PM »
This is not about me, but a colleague of mine.

I worked for a large telecommunications company and each year like clockwork they usually lay off x percent of the company.  I had a friend who worked in the long distance department, and he was in charge of all the tables to keep track of the local calling areas.  Each year his department got smaller and smaller until effectively he was the only one that really knew how the tables worked.  If they wanted to make any price changes, etc. they needed him to make the changes or it wouldn't go through.  Well he got a new Director and I guess he didn't really know what my friend did.  My friend got called into a "meeting" and was told that he was getting laid off effectively immediately and asked to sign the exit package.  My friend quietly declined to sign and said that he needed to consult a lawyer.  After he was escorted out, he called all of his contacts at work and told them they better escalate to their VP's because they were effectively screwed now he was gone.

Next day he gets a call from HR offering his old job back plus a small raise.  He politely declinced but did tell them he'd come back as a contractor at double his normal rate as long as they signed a two year contract, and increased his exit package.  Long story short he got what he wanted and has been a contractor for more than the original two years.
Wow.  I'm impressed with the subtle, clever planning there.  He saw the layoff coming, set himself up as a single point of failure, declined to sign the package, and when he had the position of strength, he used it as leverage to get himself a sweet deal.

Hvillian

• Stubble
« Reply #2434 on: September 05, 2018, 02:48:28 PM »
...  CNC lathe machine section, google if necessary . . .

While I enjoyed your story, I really enjoyed googling "CNC Lathe Machine."  Plenty of interesting videos on youtube of machines doing cool stuff with metal.  Thanks for sharing.

haflander

• Bristles
« Reply #2435 on: September 05, 2018, 03:03:23 PM »
mm1970, I can't disagree with you. I wouldn't want my kid to do something like that. I'd much rather save to make sure they don't need to take any loans or shitty jobs. Like many others here, I got about $0 from parents.

Many of us make risky and dangerous decisions while we're young and dumb. I was 17-23 in those years. I'm thankful that these particular choices made me a good amount of money and I didn't lose a finger or hurt anyone. Working like that allowed me to cash flow school and pay cash for 2 used, but still pretty nice for a college kid, cars.

I actually did have an accident driving to that job one day. I backed into my dad's truck in the driveway, so damaged two cars on the same policy. It had nothing to do with exhaustion, though. The main reasons were I was in a hurry and he parked in a weird place and it was July 4th...yeah, still had to work that night. I remember the bosses acting like they did us a favor that day cuz we worked fewer hours than we would have normally. F*** that...pissing on you and calling it rain.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 03:14:23 PM by haflander »

FrugalToque

• Global Moderator
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #2436 on: September 07, 2018, 10:50:52 AM »
Okay, this whole linguistic thing is taking the thread way off topic.  So, amusing as it is, please get back on the thread's central focus.

Thanks,
Toque

EricL

« Reply #2437 on: September 08, 2018, 01:03:27 AM »
While we await the next OT post, here’s a story my father told me years ago.  He swore it was true.  There was a man who hated his alarm clock. This was back when they were proper alarm clocks: mechanical with clanging bells rather than repurposed smart phones or electronics that wake you with gentle music and/or wi fi lighting.  This man hated his alarm clock waking him every morning for his lousy job.  He plotted its murder.  IDK if he retired early of at the usual age.  But he had an elaborate celebration when he did. He dressed up in a tux complete with tails and top hat. He armed himself with a shotgun and took his alarm clock out into the country and with great ceremony shot it to pieces.  He buried it and left a bouquet of roses on the site. Every anniversary of his retirement he dressed in a tux and drove out to the site to lay a bouquet of roses on the site.  He lived long enough to be a subject of great curiosity when developers built a suburb over the site and he continued to solemnly lay roses on someone’s lawn every year. 

aGracefulStomp

• Stubble
« Reply #2438 on: September 08, 2018, 04:29:31 AM »
With no job lined up but not coping with the ridiculous demands of the corporate law gig, I walked into HR of my corporate law job and gave my 4 weeks notice. Instead of accepting my notice, they offered me a 6-month secondment at a community organisation which has great hours, low stress and the same corporate pay. I accepted the secondment. I've used my secondment time to search for a job, and I have just been offered my dream government job = great hours with good pay, job security AND in an area of law that I love.

If I had to secure another job before quitting, I wouldn't have been able to take up the secondment and I wouldn't have looked for and secured the government position. Of course I would not advocate quitting your job before having another job lined up, but I had a 6 month emergency fund and a month of leave saved up that would be paid out. Further, because I save over half of my income each month, the month leave would pay for more than 2 months of my living expenses...which means that I had over 8 months to find another job.

Even better? The position doesn't start for 2 months after my secondment finishes so I'm going to take a 2 month holiday over summer. I already have plans to go camping for a week, to go hiking in New Zealand, and I'm going to learn how to surf :)

I can take this 2 month holiday because of my emergency fund and month of leave...otherwise I would have to face returning to the corporate office to make ends meet. In fact, I won't even have to touch the emergency fund and I'll just use my month of leave payout :)

Not sure if this is "EPIC" and I'm nowhere near FIRE, but there's no way this would have happened if I wasn't financially prepared and frugal!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 04:51:13 AM by aGracefulStomp »

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2439 on: September 08, 2018, 04:35:45 AM »
Nice story @EricL !  I did something similar with some of my textbooks after law school, but I didn't dress up or visit the grave afterward.  :)

Absolutely brilliant @aGracefulStomp !  So happy for you!

Schmidty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2440 on: September 08, 2018, 06:41:34 AM »
My story that happened years ago, not with FU money but with a FU budget.

I had been working at a rural hospital an hour and half away from home and was completely miserable.  The hours were okay, basically 4 days a week, being on call 2 of those nights, I just stayed there at the hospital on those nights, so I drove round trip just twice a week.  The pay was good, the job itself was good.  The boss was not.  My boss was supervisor of the department, and being a small rural hospital, was my only co-worker in the department.  Basically we both covered our department. 

This woman was the type that you had to wait to see what mood she was in to know what kind of day you were having.  Mercurial moods, and extreme self-absorbed.  Not one person mattered on this earth more than she did.  Walk on egg shells.  You get the picture.  She also gave her management jobs to me, passing them off as her own to the CEO.  I was completely and utterly miserable and thought I had to put up with it.  I mean, we had bills to pay, right?  About that time I really got in to Dave Ramsey, and was on fire to get out of debt.  My job had a good salary, just thought I would put up with what I had to to get out of debt so I could have FU money and leave that place. 

Well, things don't always work as you plan.  It was affecting my health, losing weight, stomach pains, and all for what?  Once I started working on my budget I started realizing what my actual costs were with keeping that job, and what I was earning after it.  The job didn't sound worth it.  Got really motivated and started really looking into how I can reduce the budget more and more.  And the more I was seeing I really didn't have to stay at this place, the less able I was to handle working for this particular person.  Actually, there was a string of employees that had left before me, and I had heard from other workers that the director wasn't sure why this was happening.  Once I figured out that I really didn't need to stay there, the fire was lit. 

I walked out on a day I literally could not take it anymore.  Boss left for lunch, I wrote up a huge letter to the director detailing why I was leaving, the toxic environment, the work being passed on to others, put the letter under his door, put my badge and key on the desk, and left 2 minutes before she was due to return from lunch.  Hopped in the car and called my (late) husband to tell him and his immediate response was "Woohooo!!!!!". 

Not only were we okay on one income because of the FU budget, but we thrived!  While at home for the next year and doing things at the house to save money and putting every extra penny on debt, we were able to get rid of over $30k of debt, on one income.  I went back to work somewhere else after that year closer and for better pay and we managed to get rid of $26k more debt in 6 more months, debt free baby.  This was over 10 years ago.

Things have changed since, but I still work towards always maintaining and FU budget, because no job is worth the amount of shit some bosses put on a person.  I try to live like a single minimum wage job can still pay the bills, everything else is gravy.

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #2441 on: September 08, 2018, 09:12:27 AM »
Yessss!!!  Truly epic and a classic entry for this thread. 

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2442 on: September 08, 2018, 09:29:59 AM »
I have been FIRE for 3 years from teaching.

2 weeks ago, my former school called. They needed a long term sub for 3 weeks. It was my old position. I didn't really "want" to, but I did leave on great terms and still wish the school and program well. I negotiated what I believed to be a fair rate (close to full day of sub pay for 60% position) for my specialized experience (Computer Science). I bet I could have gotten a lot more, but I really didn't need the money. I even negotiated that the full amount be deposited in my 403b, so as to not count as income this year. And no scheduled meetings, of course :)

On the day I go in to accept, before I got to the district office, there were rumors that the position would be for more than 3 weeks. 6-8 weeks in fact. I told the HR director that I was only able to commit to the agreed 3 weeks, and we will see about the rest. He was fine with that. 5 minutes into our meeting, the HR director offered me a full time position whenever I wanted one. I laughed, and thanked him for the offer.

I was told that in the staff meeting when it was announced I was returning there was applause. It made my feel out of this world to think I was regarded like that. I wasn't there,because no meetings.

Got called in Thursday. Turns out my replacement had a heart attack, a double bypass, and is out a minimum of 3 months. Way more than I bargained for. I told them yesterday I will be there the 3 weeks I agreed to, but not more. If it was going to be 6 weeks, I would have been tempted. Had I not FIRED it very well could have been me. He is 4 years younger than me.

It has been a fantastic week of fond memories seeing former colleagues. When I left 3 years ago, it was the last day of the year that I decide not to return. As a result, I was not really able to say goodbye to very many people back then. It was great to be able to get back to say hello (and goodbye).

Seeing the program, however, was very difficult. Many courses were cut, and my replacement has been struggling. It took me less than 1 day to see I COULD save the program, but I really just have NO desire to do so. I gave my replacement some ideas, but he was not really that interested. One of the main reasons I will not extend my term. You can't save something that doesn't want saving.

FIRE 20/20

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2443 on: September 08, 2018, 12:50:43 PM »
Actually, there was a string of employees that had left before me, and I had heard from other workers that the director wasn't sure why this was happening.  Once I figured out that I really didn't need to stay there, the fire was lit. 

I wrote up a huge letter to the director detailing why I was leaving, the toxic environment, the work being passed on to others, put the letter under his door, put my badge and key on the desk, and left 2 minutes before she was due to return from lunch.

Great story, but I want to know what happened to the horrible manager.  If there was a string of employees who had left, the director didn't know why, but when you left you wrote the director a note describing the work environment, did the director take action?  You can't leave that thread hanging!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2444 on: September 09, 2018, 12:09:47 AM »
Actually, there was a string of employees that had left before me, and I had heard from other workers that the director wasn't sure why this was happening.  Once I figured out that I really didn't need to stay there, the fire was lit. 

I wrote up a huge letter to the director detailing why I was leaving, the toxic environment, the work being passed on to others, put the letter under his door, put my badge and key on the desk, and left 2 minutes before she was due to return from lunch.

Great story, but I want to know what happened to the horrible manager.  If there was a string of employees who had left, the director didn't know why, but when you left you wrote the director a note describing the work environment, did the director take action?  You can't leave that thread hanging!
I want to know, too, so here's a bat signal to @Schmidty. Don't keep us hanging!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 08:51:24 AM by Dicey »

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2445 on: September 10, 2018, 08:48:02 AM »
"I also took two summer classes so I could graduate on time the next May, classes were from about 8:00-12:00. Other than the job inherently sucking but otherwise paying ok, they would change the schedule constantly, and you had no input on your hours. Lot of work this month? The sched is now 6-6. They would tell us this on Friday, for the next Monday. Also on Fridays they would tell us whether we had to work Saturday. Impossible to make any weekend plans for this reason. I would constantly fall asleep in class in the mornings. The profs I had that summer must have known (small classes) but gave me good grades anyway. I was seriously afraid of falling asleep driving home after work. I constantly felt s***-faced drunk, kinda like a zombie.

I did the same thing for part of my college career. Multiple jobs, third shift, that shit-faced zombie, feeling your described during morning classes. You are so spot on with so many parts of the story. Thanks for the memories! Tough to listen to someone's job complaints when you know their situation could be so, so much worse. And we (wife and I) sure do appreciate where we are in life now compared to back then. Everyone needs to work a few really lousy jobs along the way.

Schmidty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2446 on: September 11, 2018, 10:35:27 AM »

I want to know, too, so here's a bat signal to @Schmidty. Don't keep us hanging!

Sorry to leave y'all hanging.  She showed up, naturally, at the job I was started with after my year off work.  AWWWKWARD.  She had already given notice there and it was her last week, we never spoke.  She was off to another state, so am unsure of if she repeated her antics at other places.  While questioning delicately at my new place how I was regarded after leaving like I did my former job, was told by more than one person that not one person held it against me, as "every one knows what she is like" having worked with her themselves.  Last I heard she was job-hopping places along with her husband-hopping (she was on #12 when I worked with her, am not even kidding). 

By the River

• Bristles
« Reply #2447 on: September 11, 2018, 11:14:58 AM »
... Last I heard she was job-hopping places along with her husband-hopping (she was on #12 when I worked with her, am not even kidding).

#12 husband?!?  I can see job #12 but after a certain number wouldn't you give up on being married?

Schmidty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2448 on: September 12, 2018, 08:27:41 AM »
... Last I heard she was job-hopping places along with her husband-hopping (she was on #12 when I worked with her, am not even kidding).

#12 husband?!?  I can see job #12 but after a certain number wouldn't you give up on being married?

You would think, huh?

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2449 on: September 12, 2018, 08:39:17 AM »
Just had an FU-money experience this morning!

Backstory: I work at a Mega-Corp, tens of thousands of employees, facilities all over the world, etc. There's a global project to remediate a number of our products, including some at my site. I've been involved in one specific (and specialized) part of the project since January. Another part of the project requires a lead at each site, someone who will organize the activities to be done, people needed, etc. A Project Manager-type role. I am not a Project Manager.

But you know where this is going. This past spring when the division said, "Who's your site lead?" the managers got together, hemmed and hawed, and all said, "My people are Too Busy, but Maenad is already involved, have her do it." My manager agreed and gave the assignment to me.

Over the past 6 months or so it's become brutally clear that I do not have the skills needed for this role. At all. Hell, I don't even know what I don't know. It's to the point that if I continue, I could actually damage my professional reputation by taking on something I'm unprepared for.

So this morning I went to my boss and told him I'm refusing this role and why. And that I understand that this can have negative ramifications on my job, but the impact to my career otherwise would be worse. I really, really didn't want to have that conversation, but the managers of the areas that should be doing this are thinking that if they just say No long enough, I'll cave, and I needed to make it clear to my boss that that isn't an option.

It was a really uncomfortable conversation, but it felt so good to know that I didn't have to hurt my career* just to save my job. And as it turns out, my boss didn't see this as refusing a direct order at all, so he's OK with me saying no.

*Currently projected to last only another 1.5 years, but still.